Next Thread
Print Thread
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Who we pick in the first round will hinge on who is picked before us. In last years draft I felt we had lost out on JOK after not drafting him in round 1. I guess that's why they get paid the big bucks and we don't. Those teams who drafted after us made it possible that he was still there in round 2. So who every team picks before and after us in round 1 and ahead of us in round 2 determines who is left in the talent pool at our pick. I didn't see another topic in this forum that had yet addressed other teams picks or mock drafts. For me it's still a little early for a mock draft.

I don't think we need to draft a QB this year. But there has been a lot of talk about Malik Willis. So I thought starting out with where he may end up would be a good start.

Todd McShay says Pittsburgh.....

2022 NFL Draft: Todd McShay projects Malik Willis as Steelers' next QB in Mock 2.0

Between now and the 2022 NFL Draft, multiple quarterbacks will likely shuffle in and out of the supposed No. 1 spot at the position, and one team that might be looking for its quarterback of the future are the Pittsburgh Steelers. There does not seem to be a particularly strong consensus on how Liberty's Malik Willis, Pittsburgh's Kenny Pickett and Ole Miss' Matt Corral measure up against each other, although perhaps Corral has dropped below the other two somewhat. The question of Willis vs. Pickett could be a matter of taste due to their contrasting styles, and Todd McShay explained Thursday on Get Up why he projected Willis to the Steelers at No. 17 overall in his latest mock draft.

"He's a dynamic athlete — that's what you get, first and foremost," McShay said. "He's a guy who can extend plays and legitimately give you a numbers advantage in the run game. That's why I think the Steelers could possibly move up for him because they have a great defense, they have a strong run game — let's lean in on that.

"Where he has to improve upon, even though he has the biggest arm of all the quarterbacks in this class, is his efficiency inside the pocket. As his head coach said, Hugh Freeze, coming out of Liberty — I talked to him for a half hour on the sideline at the Senior Bowl — he said, 'He doesn't know what he doesn't know yet.' There's going to be a learning curve for him in the NFL, in terms of understanding what defenses are trying to do to him."

McShay currently has Pickett as the first quarterback selected at No. 11 overall to the Washington Commanders. It is uncommon for no quarterbacks to go in the top 10, but that could be a possibility this year due to a lack of elite prospects at the position.

Although McShay said that Willis has a long way to go in terms of polish, his athletic traits are undeniable.

"Now, the good news is — because of that mobility, he can get himself out of a lot of trouble," McShay said. "But it's going to be a little bit of a learning curve, as I said, for him. It might be two or three years, a little bit like Jalen Hurts, in terms of the development of him becoming a complete quarterback. But right away, you get a guy — if he makes a mistake — who can get himself out of those mistakes with his unbelievable mobility and explosive speed."

McShay said Wednesday on SportsCenter that Willis and Najee Harris could form a formidable tandem in the backfield even before Willis emerges as a polished passer.

"This could be a great situation for the Steelers because they have a really good defense, they have a strong running game," McShay said. "They can lean into that, make him a numbers advantage in the run game and then kind of accelerate with what they have, in terms of strength."

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-...5QM5QgeYFcKEvlHP48kXBhWTv7vxsme9QYjqSKxc

I certainly think his projection makes sense.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I heard Tomlin say early on that he would look for mobility in his search for a qb.

On the first draft thread I posted that the Steelers are all over Willis. They will take him if they do not have trade up higher than three picks.

There is a point where they will back off. I really hope they don't get him. I don't care about the other qb prospects. Willis is the guy with the high ceiling.

He is a risk and he will need time to develop. But the Steelers will have a plan for him and they will follow it.

I am curious about who will take a receiver first. I don't have a feel for that at all.

One guy who may slip is Karlaftis. Some have high some have him lower. He is considered by most to be the third pass rusher.

It would be shocker if Hutchinson or Thibodeaux fell to us.

Kyle Hamilton the safety is another guy who most likely will not fall. I have not seen him past eight.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I believe that the Detroit Lions will draft Malik Willis with their 1st pick. Currently at number 2 overall but they may try to trade down a few spots.

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
Legend
Legend
Hard to say especially when you talk quarterbacks.

Most have them taking Hutchinson.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Most mock drafts do.
I think the coaching staff fell in love with Willis at the Senior Bowl. Their current Qb is Goff who will play this year on the last year of a contract that makes it too hard for them to cut him (per my understanding). and no one will trade for Goff. So he will be the Lions starter next season. This is the perfect setup to draft Willis and let him sit and learn.

Legend
Legend
I think Detroit takes a DE, probably Hutchinson. Don’t know if a QB is worth it this year, which sucks for them

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
I think Detroit takes a DE, probably Hutchinson. Don’t know if a QB is worth it this year, which sucks for them

Hutch 3 cone drill especially, but overall combine and production projects him as an extremely viable top 5 pick. I love and hate it for Detroit, all the hometown guys haven't worked out for them.

Travon Walker.....also a top 5 pick in terms of talent and athleticism. Could see him being perfect for the Jets.

P
Legend
Legend
P
My 1st Round Before FA/Trades:

1. Jacksonville Jaguars - Ickey Ekwonu - North Carolina State - OL
2. Detroit Lions - Oregon EDGE
3. Houston Texans - Evan Neal - Alabama - OT
4. New York Jets - Aidin Hutchison - Oregon - EDGE
5. New York Giants - Travon Walker - Georgia - EDGE
6. Carolina Panthers - Trevor Penning - Northern Iowa - OT
7. New York Giants - Kayvon Thibodeaux - Oregon EDGE
8. Atlanta Falcons - Kyle Hamilton - Notre Dame S
9. Seattle Seahawks (from DEN) - Kenny Pickett - Pittsburgh - QB
10. New York Jets (from SEA) - Ahmad "Sauce" Gardner - Cincinnati CB
11. Washington Commodores - Devin Lloyd - Utah LB
12. Minnesota Vikings - David Ojabo - Michigan EDGE
13. CLEVELAND BROWNS - GARRETT WILSON - OSU WR
14. Baltimore Ravens - Charles Cross - Mississippi State OT
15. Philadelphia Eagles (From MIA) - George Karlaftis - Purdue EDGE
16. Philadelphia Eagles (from IND) - Derek Stingley Jr. - LSU CB
17. Los Angeles Chargers - Jordan Davis - Georgia DL
18. New Orleans Saints - Malik Willis - Liberty QB
19. Philadelphia Eagles - Chris Olave - OSU WR
20. Pittsburgh Steelers - Kenyon Green - Texas A&M OL
21. New England Patriots - Jermaine Johnson II - Florida State EDGE
22. Las Vegas Raiders - Drake London - USC WR
23. Arizona Cardinals - Treylon Burks - Arkansas WR
24. Dallas Cowboys - Zion Johnson - OL Boston College
25. Buffalo Bills - Trent McDuffie - Washington CB
26. Tennessee Titans - Tyler Linderbaum - C
27. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Kaiir Elam - Florida CB
28. Green Bay Packers - Nakobe Dean - Georgia LB
29. Miami Dolphins (from SF) - Jameson Williams - Alabama WR
30. Kansas City Chiefs - Dax Hill - Michigan S
31. Cincinnati Bengals - OT Bernhard Raimann - Central Michigan
32. Detroit Lions (from LAR) - Matt Corral - Mississippi QB

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The closer we get the more I agree, I think the Steelers would love to take Willis but I don't think he will be there.

P
Legend
Legend
P
When teams are desperate for a player especially at QB they will reach for average type of players, I hope Pittsburgh waste their 1st Pick on one of these QB's ... thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
It's a question of how far they'll reach. Outside of a couple of QB in this draft class there aren't any worthy of more than a third or fourth round pick. I don't think many teams will reach that far. We'll find out soon enough.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have a different philosophy especially on QB's......I could not have whiffed harder on Josh Allen and Justin Herbet. I am of the mindset now after those debacles that you take the best athlete with the best arm and you roll the dice.

I have been of the mindset for about 10 years now that I would take a QB every year, if not every other year. Your roster means nothing without at a minimum top15 QB.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by BpG
I have a different philosophy especially on QB's......I could not have whiffed harder on Josh Allen and Justin Herbet. I am of the mindset now after those debacles that you take the best athlete with the best arm and you roll the dice.

I have been of the mindset for about 10 years now that I would take a QB every year, if not every other year. Your roster means nothing without at a minimum top15 QB.

I agree that without a top QB your roster means nothing, but, I can't get around this group being pushed up the draft board after NONE were picked as first rounders a few months ago ...

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I hear you on that but Josh Allen was no one with a horrific college career and if we were drafting ALL current QB's in a draft, he'd be top 3. The combine and the interview process revealed that he had elite size and elite speed. I remember calling him the white Cam Newton.....he obviously surpassed all of those expectations when he miraculously fixed accuracy issues which I thought was not possible.

If any of the QB's fit that mold it's Willis.

His accuracy under pressure is a huge red flag to me, but I also said the same thing about Derek Carr, that guy ducked out of so many throws in college and he figured it out.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I think you need to be careful about "who is moving them up the draft boards". It's the media trying their best to create a buzz in order to increase their ratings. They aren't the NFL. They have a vested interest in making this years crop of QB's more than they are. We have yet to see how the NFL values these QB's.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Just a guess.

But with the trade that KC made of Tyreek Hill to Miami.

IMO KC finds a way to land Jameson Williams. Andy loves speed.

Williams has crazy speed. He didn't run a 40 because of his ACL.

But when you watch the tape. You don't need a stop watch. He is the fastest guy on the field on every play.

My guess is he would run 4.2 something. He blows past people.

1 member likes this: mgh888
V
Legend
Legend
V
Williams is very good. Just think that the Buckeyes had Williams, Garrett, and Olave. Damn!

I thought I heard he won't be available for awhile. He suffered the injury in the National Championship game. Kind of the same situation as OBJ in regards to getting hurt so late in the season probably makes them unavailable until November.

Legend
Legend
They show him in rehab. He seems pretty far along.

He may miss a month or more. If no current injury he may have been the first guy picked.

Garrett Wilson IMO is the cleanest guy. Flawless really. His route running is excellent.

This tape has some great breakdown on Wilson:

V
Legend
Legend
V
I did not realize that Williams is progressing so fast w/his rehab. It's worth noting that guys are coming back faster and faster.

I really like Wilson. That video highlighted his route running. Bet he played hoops. Those are crossover moves. Him and Olave are just so smooth while running. They are crazy good. Olave is kind of slim, though. Wilson, while not a big man, is unbelievably strong. He physically dominates guys w/his punch and strength. Here is what is crazy. both Wilson and Olave have said that Smith‑Njigba who is returning to OSU is better than they are. He's the dude who went crazy against Utah in the Rose Bowl.

Legend
Legend
College is loading the NFL with receiver talent.

This draft is deep. There are many I like a lot.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by bonefish
College is loading the NFL with receiver talent.

This draft is deep. There are many I like a lot.

I agree, I think you can get a quality starting WR into the 3rd round ...

T
Legend
Legend
T
I disagree, History has shown quality starting caliber WR are not available in the 3rd round or later.

Yet Every year, there are quality DE, LB's and even OL available in rounds 5-6, that many hope will last to the Browns pick and most don't.
Are they starting caliber? That is what the Browns can make of them, BUT!
I believe history shows, there is a much more pave-able road to developing late round DE/LB/OL into starters, than finding the leftovers at the WR position past round 1-1.5+ (the round 3 and later WRs) and trying to develop them into starting caliber players.

A much more pave-able road is the development process for the DE's DL, on even OL gained in rounds 3-6.
Than the WR's, of rounds 3-6+ who just can't be coached into something they aren't.

And I believe the evidence is pretty obvious, it's so much so it's glaring.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life

Las Vegas has Hutchinson as the odds on favorite to be drafted #2 at (-225). Thibadeaux is next at (+225).

At #1 overall, Vegas odds are Walker (-220) with Hutchinson being the pick at (+250).

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

This is a bold prediction because not too many analysts are talking about it, but I could see Atlanta taking Malik Willis. He needs time to develop. Sit him behind Mariotta for a year or so and then unleash him. I'm not as sold on him as others, but I've given up evaluating collegiate QBs. Too many variables that make it hard to determine if they will transition successfully to the NFL.

1 member likes this: Hammer
Legend
Legend
I could see that. Atlanta is in a bad place. Ridley got suspended. Julio is gone. They need a receiver bad. They have lots of needs.

Willis played his high school ball in Roswell an Atl. suburb. Does Authur Blank and his GM see Mariota as the answer or a bandaid?

Willis sitting behind Mariota makes sense.

Would not be a surprise.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
j/c:

This is a bold prediction because not too many analysts are talking about it, but I could see Atlanta taking Malik Willis. He needs time to develop. Sit him behind Mariotta for a year or so and then unleash him. I'm not as sold on him as others, but I've given up evaluating collegiate QBs. Too many variables that make it hard to determine if they will transition successfully to the NFL.

I don't think he lasts until Atlanta's pick. I honestly think there is a chance that Detroit takes Willis as 2. I don't think there is any chance he gets past Carolina at 6 if he is still there. In a "down " year for QBs, Willis is really the only one with "BOOM" potential. The rest are, to me, just average to slightly above average QBs in the league.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Very possible. I was wondering if Carolina might trade down. They don't have many draft picks in the early rounds. I heard where they may trade down. But again, I would not be surprised at all if you are correct.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
j/c:

I have been out on that limb for awhile now ... they see him as the next "home town" Mike Vick ... It makes alot of since to me. Many see the place to draft up (for Pittsburgh) is Washington at 11 ... but if Willis gets by Carolina sitting at 6 ... then I think that they (or another team) would have to come up to 7 with the Giants to get ahead of Atlanta who many have taking a WR at 8, but I wouldn't if I where them. They can add some WRs' later at 43?

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
There is a very real chance that Carolina drafts a Qb at #6. If a team really likes one a Qb, they will need to trade up to #5 which is owned by the NYG who coincidentally own #7 as well.

My ideal draft would have the Lions taking Willis at #2, then the Stealers trade up to #6 to get Kenny "Bubby Brister" Pickett giving up #20 this year, along with their 2023 and 2024 1st round picks.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Jester
There is a very real chance that Carolina drafts a Qb at #6. If a team really likes one a Qb, they will need to trade up to #5 which is owned by the NYG who coincidentally own #7 as well.

My ideal draft would have the Lions taking Willis at #2, then the Stealers trade up to #6 to get Kenny "Bubby Brister" Pickett giving up #20 this year, along with their 2023 and 2024 1st round picks.

I like your ideal option "Bubby Brister" ... 😆 ... then after his 5 year contract is up Pickett will be 30 years old if he gets a second contract.

[Linked Image]

M
Legend
Legend
M
Some speculations because these seem to make too much sense:

First QB taken - #6 Willis by the Panthers.

Atlanta with the first WR at #8 - Drake London.

Ravens get a Ngata clone in Davis @ 14.

KC gets a really really good WR to replace Hill at #30.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
One of the QB needing teams in the top 10 trades their pick for a first next year and lower round this year. The lower pick is then used to trade for Baker Mayfield.

Said team gets a rental or possible QB of the future. Bonus they still get a first-round this year and two first rounds next year.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
First 5 picks
Jags- Walker
Lions - Hutchinson
Texans - Thibodeaux
Jets - Evan Neal
Giants- Sauce Gardner

Malik Willis will probably be the first QB taken and will go to the Falcons.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Detroit will take either Hutchinson or KT at 2.

O
All Pro
All Pro
O
Steelers trade up for a QB, the Ravens take Jordan Davis, and the Bengals take a DB.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I hope he Steelers trade up for one of these QB's but I really don't think they are that crazy ...

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season 2022 NFL Draft Who You Think Other Teams Will Draft In The First Round

Link Copied to Clipboard