Thread Like Summary
DeisleDawg
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#1937016 04/03/2022 12:14 AM
by bonefish
bonefish

In the NFL "playing in space" has changed defences. The 255lb LB's are given way to 230 lb guys who can cover and fill. Play three downs. Almost a linebacker/safety hybrid. JOK is a good example. The safety concepts of SS and FS are being blurred because of new zone coverages. They have become more like safety/corner hybrids. Specialization like slot corners is also a playing in space concept.

Colleges are flooding the NFL with quality receivers because of their schemes. This draft is loaded and so was last years. NFL offenses are forcing the changes in defenses. The route trees are all over the field. Linebackers and safety's have to cover.

Playing in space forces the NFL defenses to look for certain types of physical traits. Trevon Walker his college stats get thrown out. He can play Edge. Edge is replacing DE/OLB. Quicker guys with length and speed.

Team quarterback play has become the land of "have or have nots." There are probably more trends. Those are just a couple that seem to stick out.

Liked Replies
#1937020 Apr 3rd a 12:34 AM
by Versatile Dog
Versatile Dog
Interesting topic.

I wonder if two opposing trends can be true at the same time?

For example:

--It is a trend to make hay while your qb is on his rookie contract. You can afford to pay other players more money. The key is that you need to find the right qb and evaluating how collegiate qbs will do in the NFL is very difficult. For example, guys like Wentz, Goff, Trubiski, Rosen, Baker, Darnold, etc have proven to not be the guy while guys drafted lower like Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Lamar, Watson, etc have proven to be better than qbs drafted ahead of them. I still think that finding a great QB in the draft is the way to go.

--On the other hand, the last two Super Bowl champions acquired QBs and went all in on spending money to win it all. Tampa Bay got Brady in FA [imagine if we would have acquired him w/that roster we had in 2020] and then brought in guys like Gronk, Fournette, AB, etc. The following year, the Rams moved on from Goff and sold the farm for Stafford. They brought in a ton of talent and won it all.

--I think in the box safeties should be phased out. I am not a fan of guys like Peppers, TJ Ward, etc. You need safeties who can cover.

--Young receivers are making more of an immediate impact than ever before.

--I think teams need at least three excellent corners in this pass happy league.

--I think athletic TEs that can exploit Cover 2 are becoming a necessity.
1 member likes this