Thread Like Summary
Ballpeen, jfanent, Versatile Dog
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by PETE314
PETE314
With Brian Flores and others coming forward...this is a highly charged discussion...so I hope we can stay civil.

I think the Rooney doesn't help the situation. It leads to "token" interviews. Especially when the Team already has the person in mind they want to hire. I, for the life of me, don't know why Eric Bieniemy hasn't been given a shot yet.

The question that needs to be answered is....Is this racially motivated?

In some cases...it very well might be. I also think there are other factors at play here. As with most situations it will be a combination of a multitude of things.

I was thinking of something though that is a bit unconventional. And by no means am I saying this thinking is valid or even a major contributor in the complexity of this situation...but I wanted to explore it...

----------------------------------------------------------

To play at the highest level you need several things. A genuine love/knowledge of the game, a genuine work ethic, and genuine, god given talent. Lets face it, genetics take a part in all sports, As with everything there are exceptions to the rule.

To coach at the highest levels you also need things. A genuine love/knowledge of the game, a genuine work ethic, a genuine desire and ability to want to teach, and experience. As with everything there are exceptions to the rule. But I want to focus a little on the last part. Experience....

Consider that between 70 and 80 percent of all High School Football players are White. Lets just say 75. So blacks are not even 25 percent when you consider other minorities like Latino, Asian, etc. But once we get to College, Blacks make up 46 percent of all players, they are the largest demographic in college football. When going to the NFL 70 percent of the players are Black. They are far and above any other demographic as whites are in High School. Whites leave the playing of football, for whatever reason, at a MUCH higher rate then Blacks are.

So where am I going with this. Well, there is an adage that is a little degrading but it does have some truth to it. "Those who can't do, teach." For when looking at at the difference between playing and coaching the one attribute that is not controllable is talent. Again, there are exceptions to the rule. So when considering the numbers...........we see more and more non blacks ending their playing careers earlier. There can still be the love and knowledge of the game. For many PEOPLE, coaching is the one way to stay a part of that game as their ability to play at the higher level dwindles.

Can it be considered (I am asking) that PART of the reason for such a greater number of white coaches is because there is a MUCH greater rate of white players ending their playing careers and therefore starting their coaching careers earlier. And as such have far more "experience" in the coaching arena than others who played longer? Again, a little outside the box, and by no means an explanation or a sole reason. But I have to think that there has to be some sort of influence on the equation. It is just an exploration of a thought.

Personally, I would love a world where the color of someone's skin is moot. A world where people are weighed on actions, abilities, and, most importantly, humanitarian worth. A world where we embrace our differences and not one that focuses on them as a dividing line. I liken it to 5 pounds of gold and 5 pounds of Corn. Sure, they look different. They have different shapes, size, colors. But when you put them on opposite sides of a scale...the scales will go to the same height. They are even....equal. Different, but equal.

I don't see that happening in my lifetime. There are too many people on both sides that want to keep that dividing line alive. I just hope that if someone has a desire and ability to coach, whomever that person may be, that it is encouraged and that they are able to earn their station without irrelevant factors coming into play.
Liked Replies
by Rishuz
Rishuz
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
No offense to anyone and I respect your opinions, but I believe that black coaches have been unfairly treated in the NFL. I agree that the Rooney Rule has been ineffective, but the rule should never had to be implemented in the first place. I was very involved in athletics as a player, coach, and even a scout. Trust me, there are a ton of capable black men that can lead football teams.

I agree with this. You don't have to do anything other than look at the numbers. The majority of professional players are black. The majority of coaches are white. On the surface that doesn't make any sense.

Funny/discouraging story, but a couple of years or so ago, I stumbled upon a bunch of full Browns games on YouTube from the Bernie Kosar years. Full games, commercials and all. Watching these games was like reliving my childhood. I soaked up every minute of it. Would set time aside every night to watch and when I couldn't sleep I'd pull them up on my tablet in bed. The thing that stuck out to me the most was the commercials. All white people. Beer, cars, computers, radio shack, you name it. Not a single black person in any of the commercials. Cut to the game and all the announcers were white. And still 90% of the players were black. I never noticed it before growing up. I mentioned it to a good friend of mine who is black and he said he remembered that time. Needless to say he had a different experience than I did watching the games.

Not that I have any control over it, but I do take a little pride in how diverse the Cleveland Browns organization is and has been.
3 members like this