Thread Like Summary
FATE, PitDAWG
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#2000521 01/18/2023 12:29 AM
by Versatile Dog
Versatile Dog
This is the greatest weekend of the year for pure football fans. Often, there are mismatches in the Wildcard Round. That wasn't the case this year, but the Divisional Round almost always has good matchups w/very good teams. Last year's Divisional Round was the greatest weekend ever and it featured the epic Bills vs Chiefs game that was the greatest game I ever watched. Let's take a look at this week's games.

***Note: A lot of you seemed to really like tracking the win/loss records of individual posters predictions in the Wildcard thread. I did not intend for it to be a prediction thread, but instead a chance to talk about football. However, it's cool if you want to predict games. I won't be participating in that because I just like analyzing things and then commenting on them, but by all means....make your predictions. I would appreciate it if some of you who follow other teams add analysis.

Saturday's Games:

Jacksonville Jaguars at Kansas City Chiefs---------4:30 p.m. ET | NBC

The Chiefs are an 8.5 pt favorite, which is somewhat rare for the Divisional Round. They are loaded on offense. The best qb in the league. Best TE in the league. Good enough WRs. Excellent OL. Improving defense. Very good HC. Jax sucked last year and I think Pit is the only dude on here to pick Jax as a sleeper team before the year. Pederson has done a very good job and the FO spent a ton of money in FA last year. Lawrence is developing. They have a scrappy defense. I hope the Jags can keep it close. KC is fun to watch no matter what.

New York Giants at Philadelphia Eagles----------8:15 p.m. ET | FOX

Eagles opened as 7 pt favorites. They won both games against the Giants this year, although NY rested their starters in the last game of the year because the game had no bearing on their playoff seeding, which was a much different strategy than Staley in LA, who lost Mike Williams to an injury. The Eagles have far more talent. I think both teams have really good HCs. The question for the Eagles is Hurts healthy and/or will the time off be an issue? The Giants are not that talented, but man, they have something about them. Very gritty team.

Sunday's Games:

Cincinnati Bengals at Buffalo Bills----------3 p.m. ET | FOX

Bills are a 5 pt favorite. This game is tricky because we all know what happened just a couple of weeks ago when Hamlin went into Cardiac Arrest. That game was in Cincy while this one is n Buffalo----home to the greatest fans in the NFL---the Bills Mafia. LOL I wonder if there will be an emotional impact on either or both teams? Impossible to call. Both teams have elite qbs, outstanding WRs, and Cinci has a really good RB. Both lines struggled in pass pro last week and the Bengals OL is devastated by injuries. I think the Bills have become home run happy and I think that is a mistake. They are putting way too much pressure on Allen to make plays out of nothing. It's great to have a qb who can do that, but it seems stupid to ask him to do it on almost every play. On paper, this is the best match-up of the weekend, but I have a lot of questions about both teams right now.

Dallas Cowboys at San Francisco 49ers-----------6:30 p.m. ET | CBS

I admit to being biased here. I despise the Cowboys. Not so much the team, but I hate all the attention they get. I also really like SF. Both teams have a plethora of talent. I can't believe how many weapons SF has accumulated. Run CMC, Deebo, Kittle, Aiyuk, Mitchell, etc. They have the league's best defense that is loaded w/stars. They have the best HC [my opinion] in the entire NFL. Their qb is playing great, but I would not be surprised if he totally loses it. He's a rookie and makes some wild decisions. I hope he continues to play out of his mind, but there is concern there. Dallas has very good RBs, a defense that creates turnovers, a very good WR in Lamb, and a qb who can play well at times. They will probably get the calls in this game. One thing to note is how SF came into Dallas last year after they were the last seed in the NFC and Dallas was flying high and they beat the Cowboys after Dak choked it away in the final seconds. This time, the game is in SF.
Liked Replies
#2000874 Jan 20th a 10:21 PM
by Versatile Dog
Versatile Dog
Not sure if it is because they had a bye and are now playing Jax, but KC is flying under the radar.
1 member likes this
#2001033 Jan 22nd a 04:05 PM
by Dawgs4Life
Dawgs4Life
Two dud games yesterday. I think today will make up for it
1 member likes this