Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2000521 01/17/23 08:29 PM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
This is the greatest weekend of the year for pure football fans. Often, there are mismatches in the Wildcard Round. That wasn't the case this year, but the Divisional Round almost always has good matchups w/very good teams. Last year's Divisional Round was the greatest weekend ever and it featured the epic Bills vs Chiefs game that was the greatest game I ever watched. Let's take a look at this week's games.

***Note: A lot of you seemed to really like tracking the win/loss records of individual posters predictions in the Wildcard thread. I did not intend for it to be a prediction thread, but instead a chance to talk about football. However, it's cool if you want to predict games. I won't be participating in that because I just like analyzing things and then commenting on them, but by all means....make your predictions. I would appreciate it if some of you who follow other teams add analysis.

Saturday's Games:

Jacksonville Jaguars at Kansas City Chiefs---------4:30 p.m. ET | NBC

The Chiefs are an 8.5 pt favorite, which is somewhat rare for the Divisional Round. They are loaded on offense. The best qb in the league. Best TE in the league. Good enough WRs. Excellent OL. Improving defense. Very good HC. Jax sucked last year and I think Pit is the only dude on here to pick Jax as a sleeper team before the year. Pederson has done a very good job and the FO spent a ton of money in FA last year. Lawrence is developing. They have a scrappy defense. I hope the Jags can keep it close. KC is fun to watch no matter what.

New York Giants at Philadelphia Eagles----------8:15 p.m. ET | FOX

Eagles opened as 7 pt favorites. They won both games against the Giants this year, although NY rested their starters in the last game of the year because the game had no bearing on their playoff seeding, which was a much different strategy than Staley in LA, who lost Mike Williams to an injury. The Eagles have far more talent. I think both teams have really good HCs. The question for the Eagles is Hurts healthy and/or will the time off be an issue? The Giants are not that talented, but man, they have something about them. Very gritty team.

Sunday's Games:

Cincinnati Bengals at Buffalo Bills----------3 p.m. ET | FOX

Bills are a 5 pt favorite. This game is tricky because we all know what happened just a couple of weeks ago when Hamlin went into Cardiac Arrest. That game was in Cincy while this one is n Buffalo----home to the greatest fans in the NFL---the Bills Mafia. LOL I wonder if there will be an emotional impact on either or both teams? Impossible to call. Both teams have elite qbs, outstanding WRs, and Cinci has a really good RB. Both lines struggled in pass pro last week and the Bengals OL is devastated by injuries. I think the Bills have become home run happy and I think that is a mistake. They are putting way too much pressure on Allen to make plays out of nothing. It's great to have a qb who can do that, but it seems stupid to ask him to do it on almost every play. On paper, this is the best match-up of the weekend, but I have a lot of questions about both teams right now.

Dallas Cowboys at San Francisco 49ers-----------6:30 p.m. ET | CBS

I admit to being biased here. I despise the Cowboys. Not so much the team, but I hate all the attention they get. I also really like SF. Both teams have a plethora of talent. I can't believe how many weapons SF has accumulated. Run CMC, Deebo, Kittle, Aiyuk, Mitchell, etc. They have the league's best defense that is loaded w/stars. They have the best HC [my opinion] in the entire NFL. Their qb is playing great, but I would not be surprised if he totally loses it. He's a rookie and makes some wild decisions. I hope he continues to play out of his mind, but there is concern there. Dallas has very good RBs, a defense that creates turnovers, a very good WR in Lamb, and a qb who can play well at times. They will probably get the calls in this game. One thing to note is how SF came into Dallas last year after they were the last seed in the NFC and Dallas was flying high and they beat the Cowboys after Dak choked it away in the final seconds. This time, the game is in SF.

Legend
Legend
Chiefs
Giants (Upset special)
Bills
Niners

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Chiefs, Eagles, Bills, Niners

I think, IF there is an upset, it will be Jax; but I don't see that against the Chiefs.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by YTownBrownsFan
Chiefs
Giants (Upset special)
Bills
Niners

My picks as well... pulling for the Jags, but can't see them beating a rested Chiefs team at their place... Giants are playing great and I think Hurts is still Hurt.... Cincy/Bills should be great.... but I think Bills pull off a close shoot out..... and Niners / Cowboys could be great, but Niners look like the best team in football this past weekend...

<><

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Your summary of the match ups seems to convey my feelings on them as well.

I'm happy to see that the Jags lived up to my expectations but I think this will be where the dream ends. The Chiefs overpowering O will just be too much. With Lawrence having another year of experience under his belt and with the team having another year with Pederson in charge they could be a contender to win it all next season. But I don't see this being the year. But then again anything can happen in the playoffs.

Chiefs.

The Eagles have the team and the giants have the momentum. The time off for Hurts might be of some concern but it's not as if he's playing with a different team, a different HC or in a different system. So while I could see the possibility of a somewhat slow start, as far as the big picture of the entire game I'm just not feeling it.

Eagles

The Bengals are certainly capable of winning in a talent contest with the Bills. And I agree that both teams have had trouble in pass protection. But unlike yourself I liked that the bills have been running more. It keeps the opposition off balance. The pressure that's been being applied to Josh Allen, as it will do with most all QB's, has impacted him negatively. It's caused him not to look like quite the same miracle man he is when the OL has given him protection. As I said, that's to be expected. So relying more on the run game really helps in that department. When they wush to pass it should help give Allen more time because the opposing D has to account for the run game.

That Bengals OL is devastated. The pressures and sacks we saw last week aren't going away and the Bills have a much better O than a Ravens team playing Huntley at QB.

Eagles

I too am a huge fan of Shanahan and despise the Cowboys. The thing about Dak is you never know which Dak is going to show up on any given week. If anyone can game plan to stop Dak it's Shanahan and yes I'm bias too. lol

49'ers.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Good football post, in my opinion.

I slightly disagree w/you about Allen. I think Dorsey is calling way too many home run shots. Pass after pass is way down the field. That puts pressure on the OL and on Allen. I think Dorsey needs to mix in more short and intermediate passes and throw just a few bombs during the game. I realize it's tempting when you have Allen a terrific set of WRs, but it's not sound football.

L
Legend
Legend
L
The Bills live and die with josh Allen, with his legs or his arm. I watch a lot of Bills games because a good friend has been a Buffalo fan since the late 80s - four straight SB losses so it’s like being a Browns fan but maybe worse. If Allen can refrain from turnovers Buffalo’s D will win it for them. I hate the Bengals so I’m a buffalo fan on Sunday. Buffalo’s run game is not that good.

I think Dallas can pull the upset. If Dak gets rolling they can hang with them. Rooting for 49ers, I will be.

I hope we we see some great games this weekend, fun time of the year if you like football.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
I see you picked the wrong week to try to cut out the Yoda-isms.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
P
Legend
Legend
P
I was 5-1 in the wild card round here are Picks for the Divisional Round:

Chiefs over Jags
Eagles over Giants
Bills over Bengals
Niners over Cowboys

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Chiefs beat the Jags

Heart wants bills over Bengals, but my head is telling me Bengals beat the Bills.

I think the Giants pull this weekend's big upset and beat the Eagles.

Niners beat the Cowboys.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
I like the Jags over the Chiefs
The Chiefs are under pressure to get to the SB. Yet no
One has brought it up. The Chiefs simply don't intimidate
Teams anymore with their offense
The Jags have the firepower on offense to win
A shootout with Mahomes.

Bengals over the Bills.
The Bengals defense is playing at a higher level than the Bills
Both have the best red zone defenses in the NFL.
But Joe Burrow isn't a turnover machine like Josh Allen
In the red zone
This will be a high scoring game. But Burrow is the better QB

49ers over the Cowboys
Brock Purdy is playing like a 5th year pro.
The Niners defense tackles well at all levels
Shanahan will out scheme the Cowboys

Eagles over the Giants
This game will be Super physical
Can Dexter Lawrence create chaos vs the
Middle of the Eagles oline ?
The Giants WRs don't match up well
With the Eagles secondary

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I don’t usually gamble but 10 bucks on each game w/a friend of mine. But suppose a genie told me that I had a million dollars to bet on each game and I could only keep the games that I picked correctly.

Straight up winners, no point considerations..

Giants over Philly

Dallas over SF

Cincy over Buffalo

KC over Jacksonville

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Not sure if it is because they had a bye and are now playing Jax, but KC is flying under the radar.

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PastorMarc
I was 5-1 in the wild card round here are Picks for the Divisional Round:

Chiefs over Jags
Eagles over Giants
Bills over Bengals
Niners over Cowboys

I was 5-1 too.

I like your picks, we'll be tied again after this weekend. wink

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
M
Legend
Legend
M
Chiefs
Eagles
Bengals
49ers

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Chiefs
Giants
Bills
49ers

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
Nobody likes the Jaguars? oh, Xs does.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
P
Legend
Legend
P
There's a difference in who you like and who you think will win. I think Pederson has done a great job with the Jags. They are certainly a team on the rise. But at some point I feel they will hit that wall. I don't think they're advanced enough to make it to a SB.... yet. That doesn't mean I won't be rooting for them and I hope I'm wrong. They would make a great Cinderella story.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
I like it.

There was a time when muni had little but a drizzle of cold water, filthy floors and questionable hygienic conditions for visiting teams. This is old school football intimidation.

No video games, social media diversions or contact with families. Get the opposing team gutted with desperation before they even take the field.

Obviously I have a fondness for the 70s - 80s Browns. Nostalgia is a real thing. Besides that, the bathroom urine troughs for ticket holders were probably worse than anything the visiting team endured.

Last edited by AZBrown; 01/21/23 03:59 PM.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Will it be a fairly officiated game or will one team, probably the non Hollywood one, get screwed?
edit: I think everyone would agree KC is the Hollywood/California/new York favorite.

Last edited by THROW LONG; 01/21/23 05:36 PM.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
I think, that pass attempt by Jax, ... all it needed was Rashard Higgins.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Watch how T. Eteinne scored about a thousand TDs in college, injured last year, but, before the draft was, if he is the guy, if you get that one in a generation RB you can't pass them up, Alvin Kamara, that guy in San Diego, and now that play by Eteinne you really have to watch those crazy productive Rbs coming out of drafts.
b/c they do those things in the post season.

T
Legend
Legend
T
This Jaguar KC game is supporting the 23 point times reached = a teams win total rule. As it is nearing the end and the winner will likely reach 23+ and hold the other team below it.

T
Legend
Legend
T
son of a gun the rule of 23 held up. What can be learned from game #? Jaxoville at KC?

I hope the Browns sit every one of their offensive players in a meeting and go over that fumble after the catch by the Jax WR, and how a ball security failure in a playoff game contributed so much to ending their teams year.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Good football post, in my opinion.

I slightly disagree w/you about Allen. I think Dorsey is calling way too many home run shots. Pass after pass is way down the field. That puts pressure on the OL and on Allen. I think Dorsey needs to mix in more short and intermediate passes and throw just a few bombs during the game. I realize it's tempting when you have Allen a terrific set of WRs, but it's not sound football.
Pfft. rolleyes maybe.
sound football? and, championships, and the Brady @uinn type Browns years and dump off Larrys > ish, come to mind. I say, Swing for the Fences sometimes. It's the Playoffs you miss every shot you don't take, 3 point line in basketball all of that stuff.
Pressure??? In the NFL? It IS the NFL it is not Bingo or Canasta at the rec. center.

T
Legend
Legend
T
It is a Joke to hear former Cincy announcer call out an appreciation of the Camera operators and behind the scenes directors,
? are they, are you kidding me?
Did the camera operator union or whatever the case hold the broadcast hostage again with their self important stuff?

They should all be Humble, thankful, privileged and ... that they don't have to get Real Jobs/careers.
Of all the people?
What is next, will wedding photographers need a shout out every time they manage to simply SHOW UP.

Legend
Legend
Looks like I may have severely over-estimated the Giants ........ crazy

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
T
Legend
Legend
T
I think D Jones, and I don't watch him much, appears about as good as he ever has.
Now?
Compare Daniel Jones' gamplay today/this year, to Tim Couch in his 2nd year, way back in 00' and I'd take Tim Couch.

Danny Dimes my **#*.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Giants got robbed on that spot, and the TV ref explanation about not completeing the catch yet was nonsense, he had the Ist both before and after and they give that play a thousand times a year, and even after all of that, if they'd spotted the ball correctly after the final wrap up it would still be with the ball half way across the line to gain, so.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Or under-estimated the Eagles and their OL. I think there is every chance they beat 49ers (or the Cowboys). Every chance the Eagles will beat the Chiefs, Bengals or Bills. They are very very good.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend

That was a bad game to watch unless you wanted the Eagles to win. I just wanted a good game to watch. It was too lopsided, but that's football sometimes.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
The Divisional Round is almost always great. Yesterday, not so much. The first game wasn't bad, but it wasn't dramatic enough. The second game was a trouncing.

Jags @ Chiefs: Mahomes was brilliant early. Then he gets sacked. I have heard no one talk about this, but I think #49 intentionally fell forward w/his legs out front to land on Mahomes legs. That was not a natural move. You almost always fall w/your upper torso out front, not your legs. That same guy got a roughing penalty on Henne not long afterwards when he hit him in the face/neck area w/his helmet. Speaking of Henne, that 98 TD drive was fairly incredible. Reed called a pass play on first down from the 2 yd. line. Mahomes gutted it out and showed what a leader he is. Kelsey had a great game. I think he had 15 catches or so. The KC OL was very good. Lawrence is still developing, but he is showing promise. The Jags fought hard and Pederson did a great job. The FO deserves credit, as well. They spent a ton of money in FA to improve the roster.

Giants @ Eagles: Complete mismatch. Philly has a ton of weapons on both sides of the ball, but what really stood out was their OL. They dominated a very good Giant front. They have the league's best OL right now. Their DL was also dominant. Maybe we can nab one of those guys in free agency? Gardner-Johnson would be another nice get if we decide we need a FS. Giants had a very good year under Daboll, but they were outmatched against a loaded Eagle team.

Legend
Legend
Two dud games yesterday. I think today will make up for it

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
1 member likes this: FATE
T
Legend
Legend
T
I don't think they were bad games yesterday.
They were much better than all of that last second nonsense.
I was glad to see at least one blowout.
Hope today can repeat.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think what we saw were two teams that are on the rise but just not quite ready for prime time yet in both the Jags and the Giants. Their FO's and coaching staffs have turned things around and helped install a different culture. As you stated, Lawrence is still developing and still has a ways to go. If he continues on the trajectory he did from season one to season two, by season four he will be dangerous. That's still to be determined. I'm a little less optimistic about Jones. His numbers look good on paper it just doesn't always match up with what I see with my own eyes. Next year will be season five for Jones so I'm still in a wait and see mode with him.

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
I just got a 2nd look at todays games cowboys, niners, bengals and bills.

What could be better than to see One of those teams lose by 50.

I'll tell ya; To see TWO of them Lose by 50.

P
Legend
Legend
P
If I wanted to take a nap starting at half time that would be great.

#gmstrong
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
I thought Joe Burrow was a dink and dunk passer according
To football expert WSU Willie.

Legend
Legend
Bengals looking good thus far. Weather playing a factor with Bills D

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season NFL 2022 Post Season The NFL Divisonal Round

Link Copied to Clipboard