Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
I think with the recent additions, the Browns are bound to do one or the other. OK....maybe both.

The point is, I don't see all that many open positions for drafted players to make the roster. It doesn't make the best use of 8 picks if you probably can't roster 7-8 players. Realistically, we might have 4 slots.

Do we package both of the 3rd rounders to get back in to the 2nd round? Do we trade back to acquire some extra picks next year where we have 6 picks?

Any thoughts?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
It's a crap shoot at this point as to what they will do. I would like to think that if they can find any trade partners they would prefer to trade some of this years picks for picks in next years draft. You can usually get a pick at one round higher for doing such. The thing about that is, by the time the Browns picks come up, it may be low enough in the draft teams won't think there's any players left on the board worth paying that price for. I guess we'll see.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I was thinking trading for future picks was the most likely play, but I don't know enough about next year's draft class to feel confident in that assessment.

Honestly, with us lacking the first rounder, I don't know as much as usual about this draft class.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I think they will make 1 pick in 3rd round, 1 pick in the 4th round, and 1 pick in the 5th round and trade the other picks in each round for 2024 draft capital. There will be some future spending halts and replacing talent with draft picks in the future. They have done a great job this off-season stocking talent without a high draft pick though.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
M
Legend
Legend
M
I don't think any of the moves in FA dictate a decision one way or another at this point. Someone they value very high can fall (JOK) and feel it appropriate to move up. Or, based on their system of grading, there could be many guys around the same place value-wise and they could feel comfortable moving down and still get the same type of caliber they want.

The only time (at least off the top of my head) when a team might go into the draft looking to trade down as an overall strategy is when it is systematically part of a rebuild and you want to amass as many picks as possible. The more swings you are able to make the more hits you'll have while possibly getting higher round, future picks in subsequent drafts. This is what we did when we started a rebuild in 2016.

Tackles are tackles.
2 members like this: Milk Man, FATE
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I'd like to see us trade up to get one of the DL that we might have drafted at 42. Does anyone think one of our 3's, 4's and a 5th would be enough to get us back into the 2nd round?

Legend
Legend
The draft is dynamic.

I think you react as the moment dictates. BPA is a sound strategy.

However, the roster right now has their starters.

We have two 3's.
Two 4's
Two 5's
A 6th
A 7th

We could move up and target a guy. Myself I would only move back to get more and higher picks in 2024. An example trade the 5's to get higher picks in 2024. Do that with any pick.

Look for guys you feel you could develop on both lines and running back. Maybe take a linebacker you like.

Play the draft. Be open and creative.

B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Maybe I wasn't clear. No doubt any trade backs would involve future picks

Drafting 8 players this year doesn't make much sense even though Memphis brings up a valid point that the more players you bring in, the better the chances a few will work out. That said, I still don't think we are looking to add any more picks to this years draft. They will probably be for next year. As Pit mentioned, you get some sort of premium to send a pick for a pick next year. It may not be a round premium, but it could be. My thinking is we could probably trade a 4th this year for a 4th and 5th next year, but who knows, maybe a 3rd.

We have a GM who seems to have a good rep with the other GM's. Berry looks for way to add value but also is fair and realistic. I think everybody walks away feeling like it was a good, fair trade. Not like when we were kids trying to trade a Max Alvis baseball card for a Mickey Mantle...for those who don't know, Max was a decent 3rd baseman for the Tribe in the mid 60's, but no Mickey Mantle.

Good trades are where everybody wins. If other GM's feel like someone is trying to screw them, they won't even talk. It's going to be interesting to see what transpires.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I am with you.

Typically this years round can get a higher pick in next years draft.

Of course you have to factor in where in the round.

We have 8 picks. I don't think we should add more than five players to this roster.

As we know the draft can fall weird sometimes.

At this stage given what I have seen from AB. I have confidence in him. You are never going to bat 1000 in the draft.

At the same time gems can fall and be found almost anywhere.

B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
And I agree with that.

Draft trades usually fall on the clock or close enough a GM feels he can get one of the players he has targeted. If some player drops who he never expected would, he doesn't trade and takes the kid if he gets to our pick.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
Legend
Legend
T
They already did trade up or back. They did to ac@uire Watson, they also did to ac@uire Elijah Moore, probably they should make a pick if they weren't totally unable or incompetent to get a player at all out of the college draft who wasn't a complete and total reach.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
In years past I was all over the draft because we had so many early top picks.

I don't have a clue in this draft. I was looking at pick 42. Now we begin at 74?

We have eight picks. However, I will have to wait till we pick them.

Then do a deep dive.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
I think with the recent additions, the Browns are bound to do one or the other. OK....maybe both.

The point is, I don't see all that many open positions for drafted players to make the roster. It doesn't make the best use of 8 picks if you probably can't roster 7-8 players. Realistically, we might have 4 slots.

Do we package both of the 3rd rounders to get back in to the 2nd round? Do we trade back to acquire some extra picks next year where we have 6 picks?

Any thoughts?

It'll never happen, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings if they traded all of our remaining picks away for better future picks this year. I'm struggling right now to see where a rookie would fit to contribute, and if you're making a run, I think you want as much vet talent on the team as you can get. So what should we do?

Now if there is a better LT prospect still on the board for our first pick... Then maybe they have an impact. Just maybe.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

Any thoughts?

It'll never happen, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings if they traded all of our remaining picks away for better future picks this year. I'm struggling right now to see where a rookie would fit to contribute, and if you're making a run, I think you want as much vet talent on the team as you can get. So what should we do?

Now if there is a better LT prospect still on the board for our first pick... Then maybe they have an impact. Just maybe.

I agree, out starters are set for the most part. Anybody drafted this year will only impact the roster, as in take somebodys place.

Any who make the team will be project players who might contribute on special teams or possibly spot play this season.

You never know, but I seriously doubt anybody drafted isn't going to push for rookie of the year....lol

Funny you mention trading all for future picks. I was thinking the same only going all for a trade up as far as possible this year....kind of like Ditka did in NO....but that is the ultimate gamble, tossing all your eggs in to one basket. Kind of like stories told about people taking their life savings and betting red or black on the roulette wheel.

As a conservative in almost all that I do, I like your idea better. Or, do what Berry probably will, trade for maybe 2 picks next year, the last year we don't have a 1st rounder.

Last edited by Ballpeen; 03/24/23 11:54 PM.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
Legend
Legend
T
If the Browns would trade all of their remaining picks this year for pick number twelve overall this year, and you had to take a player,
who would you take?
At first glance, I'd take Dalton Kincaid the TE out of Utah
What would it do?
It would provide a TE room that 4 deep could play or block, and compliment the Wr room, and the current Head Coach's offensive philosophys,
Plus, it would bring dividends in future years when the other TE's get older, this one would be hitting his prime years.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't think all our picks would get us close to 12. If they did, I wouldn't be doing it for a TE. Maybe Broderick Jones or Paris Johnson if I had to pick someone there. Don't really see the value in it, though. It seems we'd be better off looking for more depth later.

Last edited by Bull_Dawg; 03/25/23 09:05 AM. Reason: I'd actually probably take Adetomiwa Adebawore despite 12 seeming early

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
If the Browns would trade all of their remaining picks this year for pick number twelve overall this year, and you had to take a player,
who would you take?
At first glance, I'd take Dalton Kincaid the TE out of Utah
What would it do?
It would provide a TE room that 4 deep could play or block, and compliment the Wr room, and the current Head Coach's offensive philosophys,
Plus, it would bring dividends in future years when the other TE's get older, this one would be hitting his prime years.

I don't see the team playing many 2 TE sets anymore. That may have been a philosophy before, but not much anymore with Watson at QB.

With that in mind, I don't see the need for 4 TE's on the roster. We will probably keep 3, but there is a chance we only keep 2 on the roster.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Not sure I agree w/us not going w/12 Personnel anymore. It's a fundamental part of the Shanahan/Kubiek tree. The only one who runs a ton of 11 Personnel is McVay in LA. I think we will run some 11, but it puts a ton of stress on your OL and your protection packages. Don't be fooled into thinking that you need to trot a lot of WRs out there to pass the ball.

Guess who led the league in 12 and 13 Personnel last year?

The Kansas City Chiefs.

I see us running a lot of 12 Personnel. One back. Two TEs. 2 WRs. We can always move either Njoku or Akins outside. We will run more 11, but the down and distance, time left in the game, score of the game, field position, etc will be what influences which personnel groups we trot out there.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Most years they have 4 TE on the roster or locked up to call up. in the 00's it may have been 3 it has been 4 more often since about the years Haslam bought the team, whether that ='s a correlation or not.

Trade up or Trade back.
the Bears have 2 first round picks in 2024. Their own and Carolinas' , Carolinas' projects to be a top I0 pick. Chicago's later.

General comment.
Trade up or back?
Would you trade DPJ TODAY to the Bears for the Bears First round pick in 2024 which projects outside of the top ten, but not the first round 2024 pick the Bears received from Carolina.
Trade DPJ today for the Bears original first round pick in the 2024 draft. Yes or No if you had 4 minutes to decide.

Yes I'd trade that, where's the pen.
I might even do it if I were the Bears. Hmm.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I would not be surprised if Cleveland runs some 21-personnel too. I think people are overlooking that Felton was drafted as a receiving running back. Now that Kareem Hunt is gone Felton may come into play.

L
Legend
Legend
L
This is from a recent article by Scott Petrak, whose writing and analysis is in my opinion, darn good for a newspaper guy. Just a partial quote from his article, written after Berry signed the WRs and Tomlinson, the new safety plus Oggie.

“Free agency never really ends, but Berry can shift his focus to the draft. The buzz around it will be significantly less than normal without a pick until No. 74, but it remains a necessary tool to provide an influx of young talent.

Considering the offseason additions, urgency to win and composition of the roster, the Browns won’t need all eight picks. That creates freedom and options for Berry.

He could use Nos. 74 and 98 to get back into the second round if a player he loves falls into range. He could trade multiple midround picks to add a Day 2 selection in 2024. He could trade for a veteran.”

Last edited by lampdogg; 03/27/23 09:27 PM.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
1 member likes this: Ballpeen
Legend
Legend
I like FA thus far. We are covered or better at some weak spots from last year. Hope we are cherry pickers in this draft. I hope we trade up if a serious needs available. Like proven vets if they can be had reasonably. I don't see us trading down well with the DW deal. But if we deal a few of our depth folks or we move to get more picks, I am OK with it. I can't see an enthusiastic partner with our draft capital. Wait & see.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Bard Dawg
I like FA thus far. We are covered or better at some weak spots from last year. Hope we are cherry pickers in this draft. I hope we trade up if a serious needs available. Like proven vets if they can be had reasonably. I don't see us trading down well with the DW deal. But if we deal a few of our depth folks or we move to get more picks, I am OK with it. I can't see an enthusiastic partner with our draft capital. Wait & see.

Looking at the picks, I might agree.

On the other hand, you never know who GMs are wanting to target with later round picks. I think the chances of trading a 5th rounder for a future pick remains in play. Then again, maybe not. We will just have to wait to see who wants who, and when they want them.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
WE still need a DL, WR and LB to develop. It wouldn't hurt to draft a safety either.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Trade up. Berry may try to make a trade to get into the second round.

Legend
Legend
I don't think you should go into the draft planning to trade up or down.

We are picking 74th. There is no way to know ahead of time how the draft will fall?

You should be open to do move up, down, or not at all. It is about what presents itself.

We have picks: 74, 98, 111, 126, 140, 142, 190, 229.

I think we should be looking at target players.

Say we like Keion White. And we see him likely to go around pick 55 to 60. And he slides into the third (64).

We should move up and get him.

It all depends on how the draft falls. Who becomes available.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I understand the entire concept of targeting certain players. The problem becomes that players are grouped in regards to draft value. Once you get so far down in the draft order you may have 20-30 players grouped together in their value. So while I think you have a point possibly with pick #74 and an isolated player that just happens to fall around that #64 threshold you mentioned, once you get past let's say 126 and beyond it's closer to a crap shoot where several players hold a much closer evaluation.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I agree. We have enough late choices to finesse a trade, I believe. We also have shown that our players can play elsewhere successfully. I would rather see us trade for something rather than just release them. But I do feel good about FA results. If our remaining picks can help us leverage a second or third, then I would be pleased. Fingers crossed for this one. Can't say that I am eager or excited about this one. Maybe we find some magic if we rub some lamps. fingerscrossed rolleyes

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
WE still need a DL, WR and LB to develop. It wouldn't hurt to draft a safety either.

Not sure if we can get to the 2nd, but if a player we want is there near the top of the 3rd I can see that. We might even be able to trade up and gain a lower pick next year.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
That was the same point I was making. If we ID prospects that we feel carry a second round grade and they fall into the third.

We should be ready to move depending on the position and it's current depth.

It is never easy you have to find the right dance partner.

B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Originally Posted by bonefish
That was the same point I was making. If we ID prospects that we feel carry a second round grade and they fall into the third.

We should be ready to move depending on the position and it's current depth.

It is never easy you have to find the right dance partner.

Yep. I think this is a draft where there will be more teams willing to trade back v trading up, so Berry is probably in the process of identifying the team that might be willing to make a move. Naturally that changes if a player is sitting there that they love when they hit the clock.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
No first round pick and no realistic way to get into the first round.

So I am curious how Board members feel about the players in this draft that we might be able to get?

As an exercise let's look at players that are only projected in the second round and down.

Is there are player worth trading up for? Pick a player and make a case to get him.

IMO we need a long term Edge rusher. DE is a premier position in the NFL. Jim Schwartz bases his defense on pressure from the front four.
Of course we have Myles. We drafted Alex Wright last year and he was ok. He may develop.

We signed free agent Ogbo and there is some promise there that he may be a decent rusher.

However, we need a four man rotation and you always need great pass rushers.

Keion White is a projected second round pick with an overall rank of #48th.
https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/players/2023/keion-white

I really like his profile.
https://draftwire.usatoday.com/lists/2023-nfl-draft-keion-white-scouting-report/

I believe he is a guy we need to watch and if possible make a move up to get. If he gets near the bottom of the second. We should start calling.

He has the tools you look for the a DE. I would love to get him.

B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
If we trade in to the 2nd, it would have to be late IMO. I think it would still be pretty steep.

I am thinking we might be able to move with our 3rd to near the top of the 3rd by adding a 4th rounder and maybe getting a 5th next year. I see something along those lines as possibilities.

Who might make us do that....I don't know...one of the DT's possibly? Which one...name one and I will agree. I couldn't tell you the difference between 2-3-4 of them.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I am curious about what players people like.

Once the second round begins it is hard to figure out how it will layout.

I agree we are more likely looking from mid to late second for a guy.

But who? Keion White is all over the second as far as mocks.

I do not think it is so much about position as it is the player. If we can find value that is the key. We could take a LB, Safety, WR, OL, DL, RB, TE.

I would like to get at least one impact player and the rest could be developing guys that have upside.

I don't know this draft very well at all. So I was wondering who others like.

B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
I agree it is probably more about player. I just said DT, but it could be any position if we have a player in mind who is clearly the best player on the board. Other than QB(probably), it could be any position. Starting in the 3rd round, it is important to get a player who will be a good player. he may not be a "need" right now, but in 2-3 years he might be just what we need.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Just accept that there is no first rounder this year and move on…

Moore is the pick. 23 with a couple years under his belt.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Originally Posted by WooferDawg
Just accept that there is no first rounder this year and move on…

Moore is the pick. 23 with a couple years under his belt.

Well said, and while it remains to be seen, it is probably a pretty solid pick.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
This article points out three players the Browns might move up for:

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/arti..._in_the_2023_nfl_draft/s1_16697_38719227

There are probably others. IMO the most likely would be pass rushers.

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
I can only see us moving up. Do you really see us adding 8 rookies to this team? There is not room on the team. And with UDFA, after the draft, i can only see us drafting 4 or 5 players, JMHO.

Legend
Legend
One option is trading this years picks for higher picks next year.

So as an example from value charts pick #74 (a 3rd) is worth pick #42 (a 2nd) in next years draft.

If I understand it you gain approx. 32 places.

This is a weird year. We should be looking to whatever makes the most sense according to where the roster stands currently.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2023 NFL Season NFL Draft 2023 Do we trade up, or trade back?

Link Copied to Clipboard