DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Tubby_Dawg FA WR's? - 11/15/10 04:21 PM
I have tried to find a list of the current free agents at WR but can only find before the season started. I am wondering if anyone knows where to go, or can post a list here so we can discuss who would be a better option at WR...Robo is aweful and we need to get rid of him, but just like with Wright I'd like to know who would/could be a better option moving forward.

I like what MoMass & Chansi are doing at WR when given the chance, but after that we are terrible. Cribbs shows flashes but we need a REAL WR.

I was one who was laughed at for suggesting we draft Dez Bryant, and also laughed at when I mentioned given T.O. a contract....I would take either guy any day of the week over what we have right now!
Posted By: TopDawg16 Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 04:23 PM
I never wanted Dez Bryant. But, not because I felt like we didn't need a receiver, but because I didn't think Dez Bryant was worth the hype.

But, I was always on board with bringing in T.O.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 04:24 PM
Did you see the video of TO completely quitting on a route and allowing Palmer to be picked yesterday?

He looked at the defender coming over, looked at the ball, and damn near stopped running and gave the Colts an INT.

No thanks. He can be great, He always is poison.
Posted By: Tubby_Dawg Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 04:25 PM
Bryant is tearing it up in Dallas....I was wondering what is Coles and Javon Walker up to these days? Could they do anything more than Robo is doing?
Posted By: TopDawg16 Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 04:26 PM
My grandmother can do more than Robiskie is doing right now.

(I refuse to call him "Robo", he doesn't deserve a nickname lol).
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 04:29 PM
2011 NFL Free Agent WR's

It's hard to forecast anything that will happen in free agency with the CBA tied up the way it is. So it's hard to tell who will be restricted/unrestricted this off-season.
Posted By: CanadaDawg Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 04:31 PM
I was all for renting Moss for the rest of the year. I think its amazing that we manage to put forth a decent offensive effort when opposing teams know that we don;t have a single legit threat at WR.

If we don't go WR in the first round next year, I'll be beyond shocked.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 04:33 PM
I just keep hoping every week we would get to see Carlton Mitchell in action.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 04:36 PM
I just keep hoping that there will be a report that someone ........... anyone ...... has taken Robiske's starting job away from him. I wonder how he would react to losing his job? If this year has been any indication, it would probably be something like .... "Oh, OK. I can sit for the whole game and not have to work then?"
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 04:37 PM
I agree. AJ Green or Julio Jones or bust in the 1st round next year.

Unless we can get Akeem Ayers.

Or Bruce Carter.

Or Prince Amukamara.

The guy I really want is only a junior and is coming off a big injury. Kyle Rudolph from Notre Dame.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 04:38 PM
Quote:

Oh, OK. I can sit for the whole game and not have to work then?

I think Robiske's problem is that he does work. All week up to the game. Then he just can't make it work during the game.

He's just a practice player.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 04:39 PM
I can't argue with you, but I believe we have a lot of FA players - and if we don't sign them, we have a lot of holes to fill. At this point, my hope is for AJ Green
Posted By: TopDawg16 Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 04:39 PM
If we can't get one of the top 2 receivers, I say we go with Patrick Peterson.

Peterson, Haden, Ward in our secondary would bode VERY well for this teams future.
Posted By: Tubby_Dawg Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 04:40 PM
I dont really get to follow College ball the way Id like to, I have no clue what stud WR's are coming out in the draft this year.

What FA are avalible now, Would Coles be able to do anythng? Javon Walker?
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 04:41 PM
I don't know. He is just so completely inept during the games that I find it hard to believe that he does much during practice. I suspect that the coaches don't want to give up on him yet, so they keep talking him up ..... but man, he is really killing us out there. He plays like he just doesn't care.

It's like the Brady Quinn commercial ..... He'll make his 1 catch ..... and then it's "Now I'm done".
Posted By: Frenchy Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 04:42 PM
Here's a few of the wr's coming out of college:

A.J. Green Georgia
Julio Jones Alabama
Jonathan Baldwin Pittsburgh
Michael Floyd Notre Dame
Devier Posey OSU
Justin Blackmon Oklahoma St. My personal favorite if he comes out!!!
Posted By: Tubby_Dawg Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 04:43 PM
Quote:

Here's a few of the wr's coming out of college:

A.J. Green Georgia
Julio Jones Alabama
Jonathan Baldwin Pittsburgh
Michael Floyd Notre Dame
Devier Posey OSU
Justin Blackmon Oklahoma St. My personal favorite if he comes out!!!

I did get to see AJ Green play he looks like he will be pretty good coming out, dont know much about the rest of these guys
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 04:45 PM
Frenchy mentioned Justin Blackmon from Oklahoma State in another thread.

He is a redshirt sophomore and he got a DUI earlier in the year, but he is an elite WR prospect to go along with Green and Jones.
Posted By: Frenchy Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 04:50 PM
I've watched Blackmon the last two games and he's an amzing WR talent. I know he got the DUI, I'm just hoping it was an aberration on his part and not an indication on his future,
Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 05:07 PM
Quote:

I agree. AJ Green or Julio Jones or bust in the 1st round next year.

Oh if this team even takes a WR in the 1st rd next year I will freakin vomit!

Our 1st Rd pick should be in emphasis no order:

1. DE
2. DT
3. OLB
4. ILB
5. S
6. RT
7. CB
8. WR

WR can be found in the 2nd and 3rd rds..the 2nd rd has been a "treasure trove" for WR in recent years...Desean Jackson, Chad Johnson just to name two off the top of my head.

Hines Ward (3rd rd), Brandon Marshall(4th rd) are others....

if we want to win regularly we will do it with Defense....our 1st rd pick should focus on that area..we can get a WR in the 2nd, 3rd and even 4th rds....good receivers too

we can also sign someone via Fa as well...and its still too early to judge MoMass and Robo...its takes 3 years for receivers to really come on...we need to give these guys a chance.

Also scheme may have more to do with production then the receivers themselves..its not like we throw to them alot...neither does NE..our passing game is centered on the TE and RB...just like NE...we don't throw to our receivers enough this year to get any kinda guage at all..

If Heckert is smart, likes his job, and wants to win here...He will finish the job he started rebuilding our D secondary by fixing this abysmal Front 7...one impact player on the Front 7 could be a 4 game swing....our Front 7 blows chunks...and it needs addressed far more then Wr if we ever hope to win anything here...
Posted By: DeepThreat Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 05:31 PM
Quote:

If we can't get one of the top 2 receivers, I say we go with Patrick Peterson.

Peterson, Haden, Ward in our secondary would bode VERY well for this teams future.

Good luck getting PP outside of the top 5.

As I've said previously, A.J. Green and Julio Jones are the top 2 guys on my board. They are the two best receivers since Calvin Johnson. I would take either one over Dez Bryant or Michael Crabtree.

After those two, there isn't a WR I love in the 1st round. If they're gone, I would turn to defense. Peterson would be great, but the odds of us having a shot at him are almost zil. After him, Prince Amukumara is a stud, but he will probably be top 10 as well.

I'm a huge fan of Justin Houston out of Georgia, and he's probably my #5 guy right now. He already plays in a 3-4, and has 10 sacks this year. Quite simply, he's a beast.

Allen Bailey, Cameron Heyward and Cameron Jordan are all options at 3-4 end as well.

There are plenty of guys out there that fit our needs.
Posted By: Dave Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 05:34 PM
Quote:

WR can be found in the 2nd and 3rd rds..the 2nd rd has been a "treasure trove" for WR in recent years

You mean like Kevin Johnson (2nd rd), Dennis Northcutt (2nd rd), Quincy Morgan (2nd rd), Andre Davis (2nd rd), and Travis Wilson (3rd rd)?

History says that usually the good receivers are snapped up in the 1st round, so if we don't go WR in the first round we better have a Plan B in free agency.
Posted By: Tubby_Dawg Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 05:43 PM
Quote:

Quote:

WR can be found in the 2nd and 3rd rds..the 2nd rd has been a "treasure trove" for WR in recent years

You mean like Kevin Johnson (2nd rd), Dennis Northcutt (2nd rd), Quincy Morgan (2nd rd), Andre Davis (2nd rd), and Travis Wilson (3rd rd)?

History says that usually the good receivers are snapped up in the 1st round, so if we don't go WR in the first round we better have a Plan B in free agency.

Dont forget MoMass and Robo!
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 05:58 PM
J/C

yeah, it's funny. it seems nearly every position the best players were selected in the 1st round.

as if all that $$$ they pay scouts helps them determine which players have the highest ceiling (even if some % of them do end up busting)

for WRs, best ones currently:

Roddy White
Calvin Johnson
Larry Fitzgerald
Andre Johnson

What round were those guys picked in?
Posted By: Tubby_Dawg Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 06:00 PM
3rd round or later right?
Posted By: Thebigbaddawg Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 06:02 PM
I'm not that big of a fan of Julio Jones myself...sometimes he seems like he gets a case of the dropsies.

AJ Green though...yes please. I'd also be happy with Baldwin, Floyd or the guy from OKST *name escapes me right now.*
Posted By: Damanshot Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 06:05 PM
Look at the type of player we have on this team.. None quitters, give 110% all the time,, no cry babies, no headaches...

No way Moss or T.O. fit into that bunch No way No how.., Besides, a guy like Hillis would kick thier butts.. so what good would they be from a hospital bed?

I was expecting a jump in production from Robo and MoMass.. Mo is doing ok.,, I really don't have a problem with him.. Very disappointed with Robo however. I mean, I understand that we've had 3 different QBs this year and certainly, that may have slowed his progress,, but damn, it shouldn't stop it altogether...

As for who's gonna be available,, with the CBA up in the air,, who knows...
Posted By: DeepThreat Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 06:08 PM
How much have you watched Julio this year? He's dropped very few passes. In the past, it was an issue, but it seems to have been corrected for the most part. He catches with his hands too.
Posted By: Thebigbaddawg Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 06:11 PM
Quote:

How much have you watched Julio this year? He's dropped very few passes. In the past, it was an issue, but it seems to have been corrected for the most part. He catches with his hands too.

I've seen some Alabama games, not as many as last year.

It just seems like he loses focus sometimes and looks up field too quickly. He's kinda like a rich man's Braylon in that he can make some ridiculous catches then have total brain farts.

To put it a different way, I'd take AJ Green over JJ 9 times out of 10.
Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 06:13 PM
Quote:

There have been more receivers come out of the later rds and do well then the opposite.

lets see here:

Steve Largent 4th rd (Argued by many to be better then Jerry Rice)

Hines Ward 3rd rd (Any question he is a hall of famer?)

Chad Johnson/Ochocinco 2nd rd(Led NFL in receiving yards 3 straight seasons)

Terrell Owens 3rd rd (Hall of Fame 3rd on all time TD List)

Webster Slaughter 2nd rd (Two Pro Bowls for Browns)

Reggie Langhorne 7th rd (Very solid receiver for us)

Michael Jackson 6th rd (Led the NFL in TD receptions in 96 with 14 TD. Cuahgt 46 TD passes in his career)

John Taylor - 3rd rd pick

Andre Reed 4th rd

Anquan Boldin 2nd rd

Desean Jackson 2nd rd

I mean "really" the only really good receivers worth a top 10 pick to come out of the NFL Draft in my lifetime are Jerry Rice, Andre Rison and Michael Irvin...thats it...none of these other bum WR to come out of the NFL draft since have done anything really outside of Rice and Irvin, and Rison...

outside of Andre Johnson or Fitzgerald, receivers taken in the 1st the last few years haven't done anything...and guys like Maclin sure are not setting the world on fire in Philly either.

Calvin Johnson = overated...he hasn't done anything...Braylon Edwards had 1 good year over 1,000 yards that it. Santonio Holmes has only had 1 good year over 1,000 yards tooo

these 1st rd receivers have not set the world on fire in recent years...however the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rds have produced way more productive receivers over the years then the 1st rd has

thats a small list there are "tons" more productive late rd receivers then there are 1st rd bust out guys

you want good WR..your smart bet is on guys in the 2nd and 3rd rds...thats where they are.....
Posted By: Tubby_Dawg Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 06:19 PM
Quote:

Quote:

There have been more receivers come out of the later rds and do well then the opposite.

lets see here:

Steve Largent 4th rd (Argued by many to be better then Jerry Rice)

Hines Ward 3rd rd (Any question he is a hall of famer?)

Chad Johnson/Ochocinco 2nd rd(Led NFL in receiving yards 3 straight seasons)

Terrell Owens 3rd rd (Hall of Fame 3rd on all time TD List)

Webster Slaughter 2nd rd (Two Pro Bowls for Browns)

Reggie Langhorne 7th rd (Very solid receiver for us)

Michael Jackson 6th rd (Led the NFL in TD receptions in 96 with 14 TD. Cuahgt 46 TD passes in his career)

John Taylor - 3rd rd pick

Andre Reed 4th rd

Anquan Boldin 2nd rd

Desean Jackson 2nd rd

I mean "really" the only really good receivers worth a top 10 pick to come out of the NFL Draft in my lifetime are Jerry Rice, Andre Rison and Michael Irvin...thats it...none of these other bum WR to come out of the NFL draft since have done anything really outside of Rice and Irvin, and Rison...

outside of Andre Johnson or Fitzgerald, receivers taken in the 1st the last few years haven't done anything...and guys like Maclin sure are not setting the world on fire in Philly either.

Calvin Johnson = overated...he hasn't done anything...Braylon Edwards had 1 good year over 1,000 yards that it. Santonio Holmes has only had 1 good year over 1,000 yards tooo

these 1st rd receivers have not set the world on fire in recent years...however the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rds have produced way more productive receivers over the years then the 1st rd has

thats a small list there are "tons" more productive late rd receivers then there are 1st rd bust out guys

you want good WR..your smart bet is on guys in the 2nd and 3rd rds...thats where they are.....

You think Megatron hasnt done anything? How about making a cast off Shawn Hill look like a All-Pro QB?
Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 06:22 PM
Quote:

Roddy White
Calvin Johnson
Larry Fitzgerald
Andre Johnson

Those guys are not even the best receivers in football

take a look at NFL.Com's top Receiving list fort WR

1. Brandon Lloyd (4th rd)
2. Terrelle Owens (3rd rd)
3. Miles Austin (Undrafted)
4. Brandon Marshall (4th rd)
5. Mike Wallace (3rd rd)

looks like the later rds is where you find receivers to me...
Posted By: Damanshot Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 06:26 PM
Let's not forget Keenan McCardill.. Drafted in the 12th round by the Redskins..

He had a decent career.....
Posted By: DeepThreat Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 06:29 PM
You have got to be kidding me. I can understand the argument for not wanting a WR in round 1. But if you try to argue that Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald and Roddy White are not the 3 best WR's in football, you will be laughed out of here. No one comes close. I don't care about your stats: stats are now, and always have been, FOR LOSERS.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 06:37 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Roddy White
Calvin Johnson
Larry Fitzgerald
Andre Johnson

Those guys are not even the best receivers in football

take a look at NFL.Com's top Receiving list fort WR

1. Brandon Lloyd (4th rd)
2. Terrelle Owens (3rd rd)
3. Miles Austin (Undrafted)
4. Brandon Marshall (4th rd)
5. Mike Wallace (3rd rd)

looks like the later rds is where you find receivers to me...

Which list are y'all looking at? The yards list for this year goes..

Brandon Lloyd - 4th
Roddy White - 1st
Terrell Owens - 3rd
Andre Johnson - 1st
Reggie Wayne - 1st
Hakeem Nicks - 1st
Miles Austin - UDFA
Calvin Johnson - 1st
Posted By: TopDawg16 Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 06:54 PM
Dude, Andre Johnson is probably THE best receiver in the league.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 06:55 PM
Quote:

Calvin Johnson = overated...he hasn't done anything

This is a ridiculous statement.

In 2008 Johnson had 1,331 yards and 12 TD's with Dan Orlovsky taking the majority of the snaps at QB and with the 2nd best receiver on the team was Shaun McDonald.

In 2009, in 14 games, Johnson 984 yards and 5 TD's with Matthew Stafford in his rookie year and with a washed up Dante Culpepper starting five games.

This year, so far, Johnson has 679 yards and 9 TD's with Shaun Hill taking the majority of the snaps.

But no, he, "hasn't done anything".
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 07:10 PM
thank you others for posting the ridiculousness of KoB's assertion as I am too flustered by his off-the-wall comment to go too in depth.

KoB, the 1st round is the best place to draft practically ANY position and the best players from the position tend to be from that round as well. Yes, there will be good players found in later rounds, but your odds greatly increase in round1.

I wrote up in detail for QB last year. Perhaps I will take the time at some point to show it for WR definitively.

But, to say that Roddy, Andre, Calvin, Fitz, and Wayne (can't believe I forgot him off my list) are not the top WRs is just ludicrous (Miles Austin is good but Dez Bryant has played better for the Cowboys this year after the first few weeks when he was still learning).
Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 07:24 PM
Quote:

You have got to be kidding me. I can understand the argument for not wanting a WR in round 1. But if you try to argue that Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald and Roddy White are not the 3 best WR's in football, you will be laughed out of here. No one comes close. I don't care about your stats: stats are now, and always have been, FOR LOSERS.

Im not saying Johnson, Johnson, and Fitzgerald are NOT the best WR in the league...they are...that doesn't mean there "that" good

I am just saying similar production can be had in later rds...WR is a buyers market....

there have many many good late rd WR....we already tried this with Braylon...lets try something different and go D for a change and let Heckerty draft his DeSean Jackson in the 2nd rd...
Posted By: DeepThreat Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 07:33 PM
Just because it failed once doesn't mean it will this time. Braylon wasn't nearly as good of a prospect as either Green or Jones. The Lions got a good WR on their 4th try.

I do, however, understand your argument. Many good WR's can be found in later rounds. But, like any position, you have the best chances of getting a stud, or just a good player, in the first. When a team has as desperate of a WR need as the Browns do, I think you need to address it early, and make sure it isn't a problem anymore.
Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 07:35 PM
oh and one last thing:

These 3 Top WR..Johnson, Johnson, White, and Fitz..they are arguably the "worst" blocking WR in football

so what do you guys want another Winslow/Edwards...guys that won't block? We are running team it is what we are...

Yes those guys make good catches, etc..but they are awful blockers..just awful...Wayne is an "average" blocker...other then that..the others on the list stink at blocking and "if" you want a smash mouth running team you have to have receivers that are good blockers...

I really do believe WR can easily be addressed in the 2nd...with Heckert..yes he will pluck us our DeSean Jackson...but this D Front 7 needs a surge of energy...a true terror...a hammer..

if we have a Clay Matthews type of guy on the board or a Ngata type of DL sitting there and we pass on him in the 1st for a receiver..it will go down as another in the long list of the city of cleveland facepalms......
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 07:48 PM
Quote:

oh and one last thing:

These 3 Top WR..Johnson, Johnson, White, and Fitz..they are arguably the "worst" blocking WR in football

Umm, you think Andre Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald are the 'worst' blocking WRs in football? Roddy isn't great at it and Calvin is hit or miss, but neither are the 'worst' either. Wayne dose what is needed as you mentioned.

However, Larry always gives full bore effort when he blocks and is pretty darn good at it (Boldin was always better when they played together, but mostly because he's stronger/tougher). Andre is a good blocker as well. He struggled some when coming back from his hamstring injury, but he was/is a good blocker when healthy.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 07:50 PM
Quote:

there have many many good late rd WR....we already tried this with Braylon...lets try something different and go D for a change

You mean like Courtney Brown, Gerard Warren, and Kam Wimbley? (I won't include Haden because he's a rookie and he looks good so far)...

These are the NFL sack leaders to this point...

Clay Matthews - 1st
Osi Umenyiora - 2nd
Cameron Wake - UDFA
John Abraham - 1st
Tamba Hali - 1st
DeMarcus Ware - 1st
Chris Clemons - 5th
James Hall - UDFA
Robert Mathis - 4th

This is just sack total but WR is just yardage total and I don't see a whole lot of difference...
Posted By: CanadaDawg Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 07:58 PM
Quote:

oh and one last thing:

so what do you guys want another Winslow/Edwards...guys that won't block? We are running team it is what we are...

Yes those guys make good catches, etc..but they are awful blockers..just awful...Wayne is an "average" blocker...other then that..the others on the list stink at blocking and "if" you want a smash mouth running team you have to have receivers that are good blockers...

I really do believe WR can easily be addressed in the 2nd...with Heckert..yes he will pluck us our DeSean Jackson...but this D Front 7 needs a surge of energy...a true terror...a hammer..

if we have a Clay Matthews type of guy on the board or a Ngata type of DL sitting there and we pass on him in the 1st for a receiver..it will go down as another in the long list of the city of cleveland facepalms......

And DL can't be found in the second round? I'm all for building the trenches but the fact is that our offense will be limited without a blue chip WR. With a legit talent at WR, Colt can grow into a better QB and develop one of those QB-WR tandems. Look at every great QB and he had a great WR to throw to.

The first round is where you find your elite talent. Our defense was improved with last year's draft...THis year, its the offense's turn.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 08:00 PM
I know he is hurt , but I would have to look at Greg Childs if comes out !
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 08:07 PM
j/c

I'm not big on drafting WR's "top 10". As was mentioned it took Detroit FOREVER and a huge investment to get that right.

But I don't feel we'll be drafting in the top 10 this year. As per usual, we need more than one piece of the puzzle. Is WR a big need? Most certainly.

But you must look at your needs verses who's left on the board when you pick. Need + talent = pick

jmho
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 08:18 PM
Quote:

Edwards is like New York's best blocking WR, he's been applauded numerous times by their coaching staff for his blocking efforts...

But hey let's just make things sound good for your argument.

No way would Colt like to have a guy like Fitz or Megatron on the team, and I'm sure MoMass being sloted at #2 and getting less coverage his way would totally hurt him...

If we went 3 wide with Fitz/Tron, MoMass and Stuckey? Adding Watson/Moore or Hillis/Vickers out of the back field?

It makes it easier to run the ball too...

But that doesn't matter..
Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 08:30 PM
Maybe, Maybe not...Good teams know games are won "in the trenches" that why guys like Joe Thomas, Ngata, Peppers, etc go so high..LT, Pass Rush DE, etc..those positions are the hardest to fill even moreso then WR and teams won't pass on guys like that...even if they don't need them....

However, we really do not know what we have at WR....we don't throw to our WR very much....Daboll O system is centered more around throwing to the TE and backs and occasionally to the slot receiver...just like the Patriots do....its takes receivers 3 years to do anything anyways.

Robo had a nice diving reception two weeks ago against NE, MoMass made some nice plays the last two weeks...we have to give these guys a chance to grow...and 1 and half years isn't enough for any WR

I am all for drafting another receiver in the 2nd on to add to the fire...i just can't justify WR in the 1st when our D Front 7 needs help badly...more then any other position on this team...

Also, we are a "running team" its what we are...MoMass and Robo are both very good blockers...you watch the film with Hillis...these two WR blocking and sealing off the corners was a big reason for Hillis running success...these twe guys are great blockers....our O system doesn't throw to the WR very much...neither does NE...NE never really has either except when they had Moss...

We need to throw to our WR a bit more, but we need to have Wr that can block...good blocking Wr is a must for Mangini's system....its not optional...they must be good blockers...

I just think we need to give these two guys a chance...we hardly throw them the ball...however when we do(the few times we have) they have both made some decent catches....i think they could grow into average WR which is good enough to get the job done as long as they keep up the great blocking so we can pound it.

however DL is way more of a need and "luckily" now that Colt is playing well i figure we will win 7 or 8 games anyways so none of those WR will be there for us anyways which "forces us" in a nice way to go D Front 7 which is a good thing!

you want to compete and beat Pitt and Balt in this division you have got to be able to win the battle Defensively on the Front 7...and we can't do that with what we have...we have the OL to win that battle, but D Front 7 is a joke...we fix that...we can start taking it to the Ravens and Steelers on a regular basis....we do that...we can win the division...

Defense wins championships, Defense wins this division....we want to compete in this division on a reg basis we will do it running the ball and playing good hard-nosed D...we need a top 5 ranked Run D and a top 10 Pass D...we get that....were in good shape...then we can run the ball and grind out games in Browns fashion.

WR don't help our Run D
WR don't help our pass rush

our D Front 7 blows chunks...i think the answer is pretty clear...those guys are veterans and they stink...Rubin and Fujita are our only legitimate guys with the 3rd Jackson being hurt...Coleman, Rogers, the others..depth/too old...those guys are just finished...we need youth there....
Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 08:34 PM
OSGuy? do you want to make the playoffs next year? or the year after?

you look at the D rankings of the teams that get it....thats all im going to say...you want to win regularly and have a chance in the postseason...you will get there with Defense...you gotta have a good Defense...

The Rams had Tory Holt, Marshall Faulk, etc...the Pats had no big names...just a very good Defense...who won that game? (Tom Brady did his part, but that D put the clamps on the Rams)

The Cardinals had Fitzgerald and Boldin and Breaston...the Steelers had a really good Defense...who won that game?

rest my case...
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 08:34 PM
A less mobile QB gets sacked 6 times yesterday, we got pressure on Sanchez, he just had his "It" game and got away...
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 08:36 PM
Quote:

The Cardinals had Fitzgerald and Boldin and Breaston...the Steelers had a really good Defense...who won that game?

rest my case...

Santonio Holmes? A First round WR...

Pitts D couldnt stop Fitz at times that game...

Hey I'm not saying go WR all the way Round 1, or D, Depends on what's their, if were in the middle of the pack and theres a nice RT there, I'm all for that too...

I'm just replying to yuor rediculous undervaluement of having a top WR...
Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 08:36 PM
we made Sanchez look like Big Ben and he was on "one leg" for petes sake....

if we had a Ray Lewis, Bruschi, Vrabel, Seymour, Harrision, Woodley, those are sacks......its lack of talent on Defense is what it is..
Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 08:38 PM
True but they stopped him most of the game minus 1 long catch and run...they shut him down the entire first half and most of the second half outside that 1 big play...D won that game...as much as i hate to say it...Harrisions INT return Defense was the difference...the Steelers D stopped them when it mattered...thats what good Defenses do...
Posted By: clevesteve Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 08:41 PM
The problem is, even Roth got shaken off on that play that went to Cotchery that Wright is getting crucified for.

Who are we going to get that's tougher than Roth?
Posted By: Tubby_Dawg Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 08:41 PM
WOW lets get back to the whole point of this thread....are there any FREE AGENT WR's out there right now that can help us this year? Is Javon Walker still a FA? What about Coles?
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 08:41 PM
The same can be said about drafting for ANY position.

You can find good players throught the middle rounds, you may catch a break and find someone in the later rounds...

But if you want the best chance at finding a sure fire good/great player, it's all about round 1...

Some have said we went Defense last year, so we have to go Offense this year.

I think it'll depend on whos there also of course...

Throw in FA and who knows what we'll have going into the draft.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 08:42 PM
Quote:

WOW lets get back to the whole point of this thread....are there any FREE AGENT WR's out there right now that can help us this year? Is Javon Walker still a FA? What about Coles?

Halfway through the eyar noone is going to come in right now and be able to "help" in any large way... IMO.
Posted By: ncdawg Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 08:46 PM
Quote:

But I don't feel we'll be drafting in the top 10 this year. As per usual, we need more than one piece of the puzzle. Is WR a big need? Most certainly.

But you must look at your needs verses who's left on the board when you pick. Need + talent = pick

This is Pit's quote, but don't you guys think we are getting a little ahead of ourselves here?

We have NO IDEA where we are drafting right now, we have NO IDEA what juniors are going to come out at any position.

We have NO IDEA who we will pick up as a free agent.

and last but definately not least......we have NO IDEA who will be on the board when we pick.

WR is a great need, but as others have said, so is S, CB, DL, LB, RT (maybe).......and that is in no particular order.

Don't we need to wait and see who is on the board?

Don't we need to see if we pull off any magic and pick up some extra picks or pull in some stud free agent?

Let's just wait till we get a little closer to the draft and see what is available WHEN WE PICK..........but wait.....maybe that just makes to much sense.......let's just go ahead and make our pick now and to hell with everything else........
Posted By: AndraDavis4MVP Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 08:48 PM
Quote:

I don't care about your stats: stats are now, and always have been, FOR LOSERS.

I love that line. Its completely true too.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 08:51 PM
Quote:

The Rams had Tory Holt, Marshall Faulk, etc...the Pats had no big names...just a very good Defense...who won that game? (Tom Brady did his part, but that D put the clamps on the Rams)

Who won the Super Bowl the year before that?
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 08:51 PM
Quote:

I really do believe WR can easily be addressed in the 2nd...with Heckert..yes he will pluck us our DeSean Jackson...

DeSean Jackson is a marginal blocking WR at best... It's like you are making the argument that we need a great possession type WR with great hands who can block for our run game then you throw out a speedy guy with decent hands who doesn't block all that well as your example.. I don't get it. Colston would have been a much better example of a late round guy that fits why we need, by your definition.
Posted By: GreenDawg95 Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 08:54 PM
We can debate this all we want, but most would agree our two biggest positions of need and the two positions where someone could step in and have an impact are WR and DE/OLB (pass rusher). Unless there is a player at another position the FO obviously can't pass up, the Browns will likely draft a WR and a OLB/DB in the first two rounds this year. That could change as well if they can fill one of those spots in FA.
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 08:55 PM
I sort of agree with KoB here ... we don't HAVE to go WR in the draft. Just look at some of the top teams in the league: Steelers, Pats, Indy, Atlanta Baltimore ... I think the highest drafted receivers from those teams is Michael Jenkis who was the 25th pick and Reggie Wayne, who was the 30th pick. Then you got a team like San Diego who has one of the top rated offenses, and they've been playing bums at WR all year. (Having Gates helps though)

If one of the top WR's drops in the draft, then by all means, scoop him up ... but in no-way is it a necessity. Especially since this team seems to be forging an identity as a hard-nosed running team.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 08:57 PM
I also agree that we don't have to go WR in the 1st round.

His argument against it just stinks.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 09:02 PM
Quote:

Exactly.. we have OTHER needs to fill in the 1st if we choose to.. we could go DE/OLB in the first and then WR in the second.. wouldn't bother me at all... or we could do it the other way around...... the thing is that we have to get the right guys...
Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 09:23 PM
Quote:

Why does the argument stink? it has sound reasoning and logic behind it.

Look how many "leads" have we blown this year...how many games were we leading at half time or leading in the 4th and lost?

We need a Defense that can "hang on" to lead....again Defense is what wins games..a better D and we hang on to those leads and we are talking playoffs right now,......

The margins of victory in terms of points in the NFL is not very big...games are very close most of the time...you need a Defense that can hang on to a lead to win games...you need a Defense that can get itself off the field quickly to give your offense more opportunities to score...

Defense makes sense and is a much more logical pick.....Defense has cost us games this year...meaningful games because our Defense can't hang on to a lead...with better talent on Defense...we are tied for 2nd place in this division and have a huge heads up in the Wildcard race at the least..

this teams problems are more about blowing leads and not being able to hang on to leads...this goes back as far as 2007...see Steelers game, I think Romeo blew 3 straight games with leads because of Defense...Mangini Defense has blown quite a few games this year too

thats where my argument comes from...we are good enough to win "now" with better talent on Defense and we need to shore that up pronto....now if we add a big name D guy in FA then ok draft the Wr and then go back to D rd two..however if we sign a WR...then go D in the 1st rd...we need D Front 7 worse then ANY other position on this roster...those guys are old and just not very good...if we can add 2-3 new guys on that Front 7 it will go a long way in fixing what ails us and put more W in the column...

we need talent to be able to hang on to leads we have built and that talent must be infused on the Defensive side of the ball, the Front 7...so we can close games and seal the deal thats where my argument comes from....
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 09:28 PM
Quote:

The margins of victory in terms of points in the NFL is not very big...games are very close most of the time...you need a Defense that can hang on to a lead to win games...you need a Defense that can get itself off the field quickly to give your offense more opportunities to score...

I have to agree completely.

The value of a defense that can force Field Goals where the opponent may normally get a Touchdown is immense.
Every single one is a 4-point swing... that's HUGE.

Had we done that on just ONE of their TD drives in regulation yesterday, it's Game Over for them. Instead, they converted about 400 3rd downs chewing up 716 minutes of clock and we couldn't get off the field. Holding them to one more FG, or even forcing a Punt... would have been insanely awesome.
Posted By: TopDawg16 Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 09:35 PM
Speaking of 4 points being huge, wouldn't you like to have a receiver that can go up over a DB on a fade route to turn some of our 3's into 7's?
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 09:46 PM
Definitely... and I don't doubt that it will be addressed. In fact, I would expect it to be a near top priority, but I'd *really* like a defense that can get itself off the field against good offenses.

I expect that we will win at least 4 more games this season... perhaps 5 or 6 (it's unlikely we win all 7). That record should put us drafting in the 12-15 range.... I truly doubt that one of the top WR's will be there, but that range is the ideal spot to draft a stud DE/OLB/Tweener, or even a RT.

I expect us to bring in at least one free agent WR, then I expect us to target at least two more in the draft. Perhaps one in the 2nd round, then a much later rounder.... either way, I think that we'll see as many WR's in camp next summer as we had DB's & LB's this summer. Holmgren is on record that he'd like us to develop our own talent there, so that is what I expect us to do. Sign one guy to bridge us, then develop our own.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 09:53 PM
Quote:

Why does the argument stink? it has sound reasoning and logic behind it.

Talent trumps everything.

I don't like taking WR's in the 1st round. But if our front office determines that a WR is the best player available at our pick, then that's the player we should take.

Yes, lately there have been talented WR's selected in the 2nd round or later. Yes, there has also been front 7 players selected in the 2nd round or later. From 2005 to 2009 Calais Campbell, Barry Cofield, Justin Tuck, Trent Cole, James Laurinaitis, Curtis Lofton, Paul Posluszny, LaMarr Woodley, David Harris, Stewart Bradley, DeMeco Ryans, Barrett Ruud, Lofa Tatupu, and Channing Crowder have all been selected in the 2nd round or later. All are front 7 players.

Talented players can be found anywhere in the draft. Just because good players can be had later in the draft doesn't mean you shouldn't take the most talented player available.

And like I've said before. I agree with you, we don't have to take a WR in the 1st round. But I wouldn't be upset if we did.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 09:57 PM
nc....good post and good point.

Every year people get all excited and "know" what position we need to draft.

Then.....the FA signing period opens up. Just look at this year. We needed LB'ers. Insert Fujita and Gokong. We needed a bruising RB. Insert Hillis.

We have no idea what we will need come draft day. Not yet. Not even close. The FA signing period is what will tell us "which holes are left to fill".

But everybody can have fun guessing I suppose.

Posted By: PDR Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 10:13 PM
Quote:

I'm actually inclined to agree with your argument on the whole ... but where are you getting this?

First of all, Braylon is a great blocking WR. I know it's heresy around here to credit him for anything ... but blocking has never been an issue for him.

Andre Johnson is also a great blocking WR. One of the better in the NFL.

Calvin Johnson is also a very solid blocking WR.

Some of the guys you mentioned as the worst could actually be argued as some of the best.

(I actually haven't watched enough of Fitz to comment on his blocking.)

White is the only name mentioned that doesn't have solid-to-great blocking skills.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 10:19 PM
Quote:

Speaking of 4 points being huge, wouldn't you like to have a receiver that can go up over a DB on a fade route to turn some of our 3's into 7's?

You mean like Evan Moore?
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 10:31 PM
it depends on what our FO thinks of the WRs in this class (if they all come out...hinging on CBA and such):

1/2. AJ Green / Julio Jones - doubt they leave the top10. Hopefully we continue to win and they are not an option.

3. Baldwin - I think he'll be a mid-1st round pick. If our FO sees him close to AJ and Julio, we might pick him. If not, then we'll likely go DE/Tweener.

4. Michael Floyd - He is talented enough to go in 1st round but injury concerns push him to the end of it or to high 2nd round. If our FO likes him as much as Baldwin, then we might take a chance he'll be there in round2.

5. Justin Blackmon - Many have him equal to Baldwin, some have him lower. He is definitely a good WR in this deep class.

6. Ryan Broyles - is he a product of OU's offense or does he make OU's offense. That will be the key determination scouts will have to make because he has seemed like the catalyst in the games I have watched. I'd imagine he's there in the 2nd round.

7. Greg Childs - injury concern might push him back to school and I've seen people on both sides about him.

------------------------------------

Now, I don't think we HAVE to draft a WR in the 1st round. I think we take the best talent at a position of need with our pick. However, what I and others were arguing against was the assertion that WRs are just as good in later rounds. It happens, but the odds are better to land the pick in the 1st round.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 10:40 PM
yeah, yeah, yeah.... there will be a WR there.... I'm pretty sure that I never said that there wouldn't be. I have no illusion that every WR in the draft will be picked before us.

However, now you're into the gray area of do you take the 3rd best WR or the Top DE/OLB/Whatever?
It will come down to how each player graded out. I think everybody on the planet knows this.

What I am speaking of is what is typical as that is all anyone can go on at this point - and typically you have a couple of top WR's that go very high, then there is a signnificant drop off in talent to the others that end up going perhaps in the bottom of the 1st or into the 2nd. The 12-15 range is where the premier OLB's, RT's, etc.. .are typically coming off the board because all of the premier "skill" players are gone, leaving these position groups as the next highest value.

Quote:

However, what I and others were arguing against was the assertion that WRs are just as good in later rounds.

There are tons of WR's with outstanding careers that have come from outside the first round, but as with any position the probability of success is significantly lower.
In the 1st round, perhaps 1 in 5 has a All Pro career. In the 6th round, perhaps 1 in 30 will have that same career.

That All-World level of Talent/Quality can come from anywhere and everywhere... it is just the odds of it happening that change.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 10:58 PM
didn't mean that post to come out as crass as it did. sorry about that.

we agree, I just wanted to show the depth of the WR class that could be coming out this year by naming the names.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 11:05 PM
j/c

If we pick a tweener in the first three rounds I will vomit.
Posted By: DeepThreat Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 11:24 PM
Justin Houston already plays in a 3-4. How about him?
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 11:26 PM
Who is that monster from Alabama?

He's like 6' 13" and 270 lbs and quick as hell... I want HIM here
Posted By: GraffZ06 Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 11:53 PM
You mean Marcell Dareus? I'd be completely on board with grabbing him in the 12-15 range

I'd also be completely on board with signing a vet WR via FA before the draft and then grabbing another WR with one of our 2nd/3rd/4th round picks. We certainly need some help there.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: FA WR's? - 11/15/10 11:57 PM
Actually, I was thinking of Donta Hightower (had to go look it up).
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: FA WR's? - 11/16/10 12:01 AM
Quote:

j/c

If we pick a tweener in the first three rounds I will vomit.

even if our FO fully believes they have found the next DeMarcus Ware?
Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown Re: FA WR's? - 11/16/10 12:31 AM
Quote:

You mean Marcell Dareus? I'd be completely on board with grabbing him in the 12-15 range

I'd also be completely on board with signing a vet WR via FA before the draft and then grabbing another WR with one of our 2nd/3rd/4th round picks. We certainly need some help there.

I would be estatic if we cna land Marcell Dareus

that dude is an IMPACT Front 7 Player...that dude will swallow Rb and eat QB...that dude has looked dominant....that dude is a game changer....
Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown Re: FA WR's? - 11/16/10 12:32 AM
Quote:

Quote:

The value of a defense that can force Field Goals where the opponent may normally get a Touchdown is immense.

Had we done that on just ONE of their TD drives in regulation yesterday, it's Game Over for them. Instead, they converted about 400 3rd downs chewing up 716 minutes of clock and we couldn't get off the field. Holding them to one more FG, or even forcing a Punt... would have been insanely awesome.

exactly! Prp you hit the nail on the head perfectly at what i was getting at
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: FA WR's? - 11/16/10 01:04 PM
Quote:

Justin Houston already plays in a 3-4. How about him?

Also to no logo:

I know nothing of Justin Houston and will make a few other admissions here...

Between the Wimbley and Veikune "tweeners" I am as jaded as jaded can be when it comes to the "tweener" pick.

To be fair, those guys were picked by men with, shall I say, 'questionable' draft-talent evaluation skills.

Savage thought he had his DeMarcus Ware in Wimbley...Mangini thought he had his ??? in Veikune.

I do not follow college football or the draft in anywhere near the detail that you guys do. I will get on board with a potential "tweener" and research a little when you come up with a prospect. I appreciate the fact that you guys have the stones to throw out an opinion(s) on a player(s).

My problem is that it seems to me that the pick of a "tweener" often times becomes a gamble...and we have not been in a position to gamble for a long time. (If we ARE going to gamble, I feel a lot better with Heckert/Holmgren holding the cards/dice/pick.)

I now feel that we are one offseason away from putting together a team that will compete for the playoffs for a fairly long time.

However, we have enough holes to fill with "first-day" picks (old "first day" meaning rounds 1-3) that we are still NOT in position to gamble on an early pick.

I'll get behind any player we pick...I just hate when we take a chance on "day one" picks given the mess we've been in and now given the possibility that we are very close to having a perennial playoff contending team.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: FA WR's? - 11/16/10 01:34 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

exactly! Prp you hit the nail on the head perfectly at what i was getting at

I think everyone agrees with this sentiment. The only difference is in how we get to the point of having "that" defense...what are we missing to get "there".

I will stick with the defense for this post - even though I think a stud WR is as much a priority as any other position right now.

I believe our front seven has a handful of young players who are difference-makers at their position. (Rubin, Roth, Gocong...maybe Benard some day.)

We have a handful of old guys who likely have a year to three left in them and at an average to above-average level of play. (Coleman, R Smith, Rogers, Fujita)

We have two dinasours and an oft-injured vet who have questionable futures beyond this year. (Bowens, Barton, DQ.)

We have a slew of young guys with potential who are - at worst - serviceable backups and good to very good STers. (Trusnick, Maivia, Robinson, T Brown, Costanzo)

Are we "set" in the front 7? No...of course not. However, we have 7 legitimate starters and several serviceable-to-quality backups. We could sure use a stud in that front 7.

IMO, our defensive backfield is the opposite of our front 7.

Our best DBs are both rookies.

The best CB has not even started yet over two guys...one who is likely near the end of his career and another who appears to have regressed in the 4 short years of his career.

Our best S looks to be the real deal but his dance partner is in his fourth year of "potential" and looks to be a keeper...as a backup.

The best backup DB is Mike Adams. I like Mike Adams...but he is limited to say the least.

We have two legitimate starters in the defensive backfield...and they are both rookies.

We have two/three legitimate backups who are starters right now...and we have one serviceable backup who is actually a...backup.

I'd like a front 7 stud - no tweeners early please - but we can get by another year with the guys presently on our roster. This group has played well while not spectacular. I'd be in favor of being active in FA focused here.

The defensive backfield is in near dire straits. We do not have true starters across the group and have decent backups dressed up as starters.

Don't take offence to my preference this year for DBs over the front 7. It's just that the most glaring "hole" we have right now is in our defensive backfield.

I think the DBs have been every-bit as responsible for the defense being unable to get off the field as have been the front 7.

In the end, I think we can get by with our current front 7 and the DBs are a glaring problem right now.
Posted By: Tubby_Dawg Re: FA WR's? - 11/16/10 01:50 PM
umm....glad I started this thread to talk about Free Agent Wide Recievers....not sure how it got turned into a discussion on who to draft for the defense.

Does anyone here actually want to talk about who is out there that could help our offense? I mentioned maybe Javon Walker, or L. Coles (not event going to try to spell his name right) Either of these guys would help IMO more than Robo is/has...thoughts?
Posted By: jfanent Re: FA WR's? - 11/16/10 01:53 PM
"L-a-v-e-r-a-n-u-e-s"......just how it sounds.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: FA WR's? - 11/16/10 01:57 PM
Sorry to participate in derailing the thread...unfortunately there do not appear to be any real options out there.

This late in the year I would think that any viable guys would be taken by now.

I am a little surprised that Ingram did not stick anywhere...he looked ok this pre-season. No less ok than Robo I suppose.

That cupboard is as bare as...well...our DBs.
Posted By: Tubby_Dawg Re: FA WR's? - 11/16/10 02:16 PM
Yeah you are prolly right, I just cant belive that Robo is our best option. He does nothing right!
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: FA WR's? - 11/16/10 03:19 PM
Quote:

Yeah you are prolly right, I just cant belive that Robo is our best option. He does nothing right!

he must do something right, but it's too hard to tell because he never gets open enough to show it

sadly, he's probably the best option. especially with teams like the Rams, Colts, and Chargers going through WRs this year like they are candy. the FA-WR pool has got to be completely bare at this point.

as for Willie, I see your point about gambling early. though any position is a gamble, Tweener is often an extra gamble because it usually involves a position change as only a few teams run the 3-4 in college. It's just one of the positions of biggest need for our team (along with WR Tubby ), which is why it got brought up.
Posted By: vadawgfan07 Re: FA WR's? - 11/16/10 05:31 PM
I checked another site and, aside from Coles and Walker, I found listed Reggie Williams, Devard Darling, David Tyree, Kelley Washington, Marty Booker and a few others listed as not being signed with a team. I do seem to remember Washington signing with somebody but I do not know who. Also Antonio Bryant is out there I believe. I remember the Bengals signing him and then terminating his contract. It seems any of these guys might be an improvement but you gotta believe the coaching staff has discussed all the available wideouts already. Anybody see someone worth signing? If healthy Coles, Walker or Bryant would be my guess.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: FA WR's? - 11/16/10 05:36 PM
I'm pretty sold on Mass being at least a solid #2 for the forseeable future... Not really ever a #1 though... I just don't see it from him...

I'm going to continue to fall back on the "WRs take at least 3 years to get good" speil and give Robiskie next year to ya know.. actually show me something... More than one catch every 3 games...

I said that about Travis Wilson too though...
Posted By: Tubby_Dawg Re: FA WR's? - 11/16/10 05:40 PM
I would work out Reggie Williams, Marty Booker, and Antonio Bryant. Any of these guys are hands down better than Robo IMO.....also Would like to see what Javon Walker or L. Coles could do.....its hard to tell how much time Cribbs is going to miss.

Quote:

I checked another site and, aside from Coles and Walker, I found listed Reggie Williams, Devard Darling, David Tyree, Kelley Washington, Marty Booker and a few others listed as not being signed with a team. I do seem to remember Washington signing with somebody but I do not know who. Also Antonio Bryant is out there I believe. I remember the Bengals signing him and then terminating his contract. It seems any of these guys might be an improvement but you gotta believe the coaching staff has discussed all the available wideouts already. Anybody see someone worth signing? If healthy Coles, Walker or Bryant would be my guess.

Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: FA WR's? - 11/16/10 05:43 PM
Robo doesn't need another year.

It's not like he's getting on the field regularly and just can't get open..... he's hardly getting on the field (unless Cribbs is hurt).

I mean, even with Cribbs hurt, he's still our 3rd WR - at best, 4th with Cribbs able to play.

Bring in a big-time WR and they all get better. Cribbs & MoMass make for good #2's and Stuckey is a solid Slot guy.

Robo is Special Teams or Bust.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: FA WR's? - 11/16/10 05:49 PM
Can we just keep Morre at WR? Seriously he reminded me of JJ with his hands and size out there...
Posted By: OoooRahJoice Re: FA WR's? - 11/16/10 05:52 PM
Yeah,...It ain't like we use him as a bonafide TE,...we got Watson for that.

He's, at a minimum, as good a WR as MM.
Posted By: GraffZ06 Re: FA WR's? - 11/16/10 06:18 PM
I'm on the record in saying Evan Moore has the best hands of anybody on this team, including WR's. Problem is, he's a "tweener" in his own right. Too big/slow to be an every down WR, too small and quick to be a blocking TE.

I agree though, our WR corps is putrid and if Cribbs is out any time it becomes epically anemic. I see no reason why we can't run a lot of 2 TE sets with Watson as our primary "typical" TE and give Moore the option to put a hand down next to Ben or to motion out wide as a receiving option like we did with KW2. I think he deserves, and our offense needs, Moore on the field more. I just don't like the idea of him lining up as a typical WR every down.

Another thing to think about. We've definitely established our identity as a smash-mouth run first team with Hillis. That requires everybody selling out to be physical and block. Even though Moore may be our best receiver, any chance we're going more FB with Vickers over 2 TE simply due to blocking? Not stating as a fact, just that it seems likely/possible that Moore may not be a great blocker and Mangini/Daboll are willing to sacrifice some aspects of the passing game in order to get max effort for the run game.
Posted By: ado16148 Re: FA WR's? - 11/17/10 12:39 AM
Maybe I havnt been paying much attention, but last game seemed like we ran a lot of 2 tight end sets with robert royal on running downs. I oculd be wrong though.
© DawgTalkers.net