DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Mourgrym Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 01:24 AM
Cleveland Browns
Browns release their first depth chart of 2012
By Nate Ulrich Published: August 6, 2012

The Browns released their first depth chart of the year tonight. Here it is:

OFFENSE

Wide receiver: Greg Little, Josh Gordon, Joshua Cribbs, Carlton Mitchell, Owen Spencer, Jermaine Saffold

Left tackle: Joe Thomas, Oniel Cousins, Jeff Shugarts

Left guard: Jason Pinkston, Jarrod Shaw, Matt Cleveland

Center: Alex Mack, John Greco, Garth Gerhart

Right guard: Shawn Lauvao, Dominic Alford, Stanley Daniels

Right tackle: Mitchell Schwartz, Ryan Miller, Jake Anderson

Tight end: Benjamin Watson, Jordan Cameron, Alex Smith, Evan Moore, Dan Gronkowski

Wide receiver: Mohamed Massaquoi, Travis Benjamin, Jordan Norwood, Rod Windsor, Josh Cooper, Bert Reed

Quarterback: Brandon Weeden, Colt McCoy, Seneca Wallace, Thaddeus Lewis

Fullback: Owen Marecic, Brad Smelley

Running back: Trent Richardson, Montario Hardesty, Brandon Jackson, Chris Ogbonnaya, Adonis Thomas

DEFENSE

Left end: Jabaal Sheard, Juqua Parker, Brian Sanford, William Green

Defensive tackle: Ahtyba Rubin, Billy Winn

Defensive tackle: John Hughes, Scott Paxson, Brian Schaefering, Kiante Tripp

Right end: Frostee Rucker, Emmanuel Stephens, Marcus Benard, Auston English

Strongside linebacker: Scott Fujita, James-Michael Johnson, Emmanuel Acho

Middle linebacker: D’Qwell Jackson, Benjamin Jacobs, L.J. Fort

Weakside linebacker: Kaluka Maiava, Craig Robertson, Quinton Spears, JoJo Dickson

Left cornerback: Joe Haden, Buster Skrine, Trevin Wade, Johnson Bademosi

Right cornerback: Sheldon Brown, Dimitri Patterson, James Dockery, Antwuan Reed

Free safety: Eric Hagg, Ray Ventrone, Tashaun Gipson

Strong safety: T.J. Ward, Usama Young, David Sims, Emanuel Davis

SPECIAL TEAMS

Punter: Reggie Hodges, Spencer Lanning

Kicker: Phil Dawson, Jeff Wolfert

Holder: Reggie Hodges

Punt returner: Joshua Cribbs, Travis Benjamin, Jordan Norwood

Kick returner: Joshua Cribbs, Buster Skrine, Travis Benjamin

Long snapper: Christian Yount

Injuries

Fullback Eddie Williams is on the Active/Physically unable to perform list

Defensive tackle Phil Taylor is on the Active/Physically unable to perform list
web page
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 01:34 AM
I'm a little surprised that Norwood is in front of Cooper, but that may just be because Norwood was here last year. Not that I'd complain either way.

Also, I was surprised to see Evan Moore as the 4th Tight End behind Alex Smith. Moore better bring it these last 3 weeks or else he'll be gone IMO.
Posted By: 123 Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 01:52 AM
I know i saw this coming, but when you actually see it, dang, this team is young. Going to be an interesting preseason, let's see who steps up!
Posted By: Enigmatic Evil Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 02:05 AM
Interesting to see Colt as the #2 when Seneca seemed to have the inside track, and Cameron as the #2 TE, he must really be impressing in camp. Also Hagg in the front running for FS, that's good to see.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 02:13 AM
They have to put McCoy in a position to be shown off so they can trade him.

Sorry, but I see no way in hell that he is on the roster come opening day.

I suppose that some people will find that hateful ..... but in reality ..... it's just reality.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 02:34 AM
Quote:

I suppose that some people will find that hateful ..... but in reality ..... it's just reality.

LOL yeah, your reality.
Posted By: Thebigbaddawg Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 02:36 AM
Benard at 3rd string RE is shocking to me.

Interesting that they put Gordon behind Little. I guess that means he is the 3rd WR? I think MoMass would be a better slot guy.

Cameron at 2nd TE is exciting.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 02:37 AM
Quote:

Quote:

LOL yeah, your reality.

We'll see.
Posted By: GoHooterGo Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 02:42 AM
Tight End: Wow, Jordan Cameron must have really impressed the coaches. Also, Evan Moore has been hurt lately, and they may have put him 4th on the list due to his past injury history. Does anyone remember how many TE's the Browns carried last season? Moore appears to be on the bubble this season.

Wide receiver: I'm surprised to see Travis Benjamin 2nd on the list, as I thought due to his size and rookie status, he'd be behind Norwood. It appears the locks for WR are Little, Gordon, Cribbs, Massaquoi, Benjamin and Norwood. So that leaves out Mitchell and the rest of the camp bodies including Cooper? Or is there a chance that the Browns carry 7 WR's? I doubt it.

Fullback: They still appear to be favoring Marecic over Smelly (most likely due to his 4th round pick they spent). Chances they carry two FB's this season?

Defensive Tackle: It's good to see Hughes beating out Veterans on the team.

Right End: Interesting to see UDFA Stephens ahead of Marcus Benard and Auston English. I remember a lot of people raving about English a year ago or so. I haven't heard anything about Benard thriving in camp, but he's been productive in Pass Rushing situations.

Who are the LB'ers that make the final 53 Man Roster?

Also, Wade or Dockery or both? Who makes it?

VENTRONE!?!?!?! SERIOUSLY!?!?!?! Come on, I swear if I ever see him on the field I'll scream. Great on Special Teams, but that is it. We can't find another FS that can do both as a decent or average backup?
Posted By: NickBrownsFan Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 02:43 AM
Im not all that suprised to see Colt as the #2 back up bacause he was the starter over Wallace last year. Its a natural progression you lose the starting job you move to #2.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 02:52 AM
We carried 4 TEs last year. (Watson, Moore, Smith, and Cameron)

I suspect that Smelley is in a good position to win one of the spots as a combo TE/FB/H Back.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 02:53 AM
The Big surprise for me is John Hughes moved into starting DT. It is good to see. I think we will see a rotation of Winn and Hughes opposite Rubin but before all is said and done, I think Winn will be the guy that gets the most playing time. His explosion is special.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 02:54 AM
I'd hope he'd be able to make the roster over Alex Smith.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 02:54 AM
Quote:

Benard at 3rd string RE is shocking to me.

Shocking to me as well.. where the heck did Emmanuel Stephens come from? I know he can't be better than Benard.

the other thing I'm not understanding is this Ray Ventrone guy.. GET HIM OFF OF OUR ROSTER!! I was expecting Bademosi to replace him at safety, yet he's at the corner position.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 02:57 AM
haha I had to laugh at your Ventrone comment. My dad and I just had this same conversation a few nights ago. We both basically said ... FOR THE LOVE OF GOD just don't have Ventrone's name appear anywhere this fall ... just because
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 02:58 AM
I think barring injury, the only people you will see at safety are Hagg, Ward, Young, and maybe Brown.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 03:07 AM
Quote:

We carried 4 TEs last year. (Watson, Moore, Smith, and Cameron)

I suspect that Smelley is in a good position to win one of the spots as a combo TE/FB/H Back.

That's my take too ... remember we only kept one FB last season, because Smith played there as well, so I think that would be a good trade off ... Smelly for Smith

This just came out this evening ... I know because I looked for earlier today and it wasn't posted yet.

Every year this 1st depth chart is about as useful as ___on bore hog.

Here's my initial 53 man roster prediction: (disclaimer: I had trouble naming enough LBers)

QB: (3)
Brandon Weeden
Colt McCoy
Thaddeus Lewis

RB: (3)
Trent Richardson
Montario Hardesty
Brandon Jackson

FB: (2)
Owen Marecic
Brad Smelley

TE: (3)
Ben Watson
Jordan Cameron
Alex Smith

WR: (5)
Greg Little
Josh Gordon
Mohamed Massaquoi
Travis Benjamin
Jordan Norwood
Joshua Cribbs (RS)

OL: (9)
Joe Thomas
Jason Pinkston
Alex Mack
Shawn Lauvao
Mitchell Schwartz
John Greco
Ryan Miller
Oniel Cousins
Garth Gerhart

LS: Christian Yount
PK: Phil Dawson

^ (28)

DL: (8)
Jabaal Sheard
Scott Paxson
Ahtyba Ruben
Frostee Rucker
John Hughes
Billy Winn
Juqua Parker
Emmanuel Stephens

LB: (7)
James-Michael Johnson
D'Qwell Jackson
Kaluka Maiava
Scott Fujita
Emmanuel Acho
Benjamin Jacobs
JoJo Dickson (ST’s)

DB : (9)
Joe Haden
TJ. Ward
Eric Hagg
Sheldon Brown
Dimitri Patterson
Buster Skrine
Usama Young
James Dockery
Ray Ventrone (ST's)

P: Reggie Hodges

^(25)

(PUP): Phil Taylor
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 03:17 AM
Emmanuel Stephens took over last year when Jayme Mitchell was benched last year.

He wasn't very good either.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 03:19 AM
Quote:

The Big surprise for me is John Hughes moved into starting DT. It is good to see. I think we will see a rotation of Winn and Hughes opposite Rubin but before all is said and done, I think Winn will be the guy that gets the most playing time. His explosion is special.

But how is Winn's gap integrity? Does he overshoot and leave his LB's out to dry?
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 03:45 AM
He isn't there yet against the run but we have some great teachers and this kid has a world of talent. He will be the steal of this draft. Heck I have no problem if he never becomes more than your nickel pass rusher considering we have the likes of Big Phil, Rubin and Hughes to play the run.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 12:27 PM
Quote:

Coming from almost anyone else, it might not be considered hateful.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 02:15 PM
Only surprise on the offensive depth chart for me is that Cousins is listed as the backup LT and Miller the backup RT. Scary stuff.

I am not surprised at all about Moore's standing. As I said in the TE thread a few weeks back, I thought he was the guy on the bubble after disappointing last year in both effort and production (and bowel incontinence) and Cameron improving. I think we all had high hopes for him. He may still make the team, but with Smelley being promising, a better blocker, and more versatile, I think Smelley stays before Moore. Only situation I see Moore making the team at this point is if Smelley overtakes Marecic or if Marecic/TE1/2/3 get injured in preseason. He'd better step it up come game time.

WRs... Shurmur said they want to keep 6. Unless they decide they want to try to get a late-rounder for Massaquoi, I think Gordon, MoMass, Little, Benjamin, Norwood, Cribbs is the right way to go.

I am a bit surprised on the defensive depth chart in a few places.

Emmanuel Stephens over Marcus Benard really is only a small surprise, though, as Stephens provided an upgrade over Mitchell last year in his spot duty. Will we keep 5 DEs? Will the fifth be Paxson or Benard? Or does Parker have to show something in preseason to keep his spot?

JMJ and Acho at the same spot I'm surprised about. If you're looking at both of them as strongside players, why do you draft Acho over Travis Lewis? Especially when you had out-of-position Gocong and out-of-his-league Maiava starting on the weakside last year? One of those LBs in the 2nd or 3rd (David, Brown, Wagner, D. Davis) sure would look good on this team. Ugh I really think we blew some golden opportunities this past draft.

I'm surprised Bademosi is listed as a CB and even more surprised Davis is listed at SS. Davis was a pretty good corner at ECU and a good tackler, but he's a small guy. He's not a safety in this league. Doomed from the start if that's where they put him.

Who is David Sims? I don't remember ever hearing his name.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 02:28 PM
Quote:

JMJ and Acho at the same spot I'm surprised about

biggest surprise to me as well. the only thing I could gather from it is that Acho isn't ready to start, so JMJ needs to be our SOLB starter with Fujita missing the first 3 games (and Maiava the WOLB starter).

when Fujita comes back, hopefully JMJ has proven his worth and he slides down to WOLB (and we'll see if Acho can unseat Fujita)
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 02:30 PM
Speaking about our TE position.

I think that Cameron will decide whom we keep as our number 3 TE and with Smelly we won't keep 4.

Here is how I see it shaking out:

It all depends on weather or not we feel that Cameron can play in line or not. If he can I think that Moore will make the team, but if we have any doubts there, then I think that we will keep Smith over Moore, because we do not want to go into the season with Watson as our only in line option at TE.

After losing Gocong I have a hard time with seeing how the LBer position will shake out without a lot of projection there. Ikm hoping that one of our FA emerge in camp/preseason.

Posted By: clevesteve Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 02:31 PM
Well, JMJ played strongside OLB and MLB in college, so him being there was no surprise to me. I'm sure they have some kind of plan... what's there right now doesn't make a whole lot of sense on the surface to me.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 02:35 PM
Quote:

Well, JMJ played strongside OLB and MLB in college, so him being there was no surprise to me. I'm sure they have some kind of plan... what's there right now doesn't make a whole lot of sense on the surface to me.

but are they going to let Maiava start and JMJ stick on the bench when Fujita comes back? i'm hoping JMJ makes sure to put a strong hold on starting in his time (I would not be opposed to Fujita being a backup - in fact I'm in favor, but I'm just not expecting it)
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 02:36 PM
Quote:

I agree. Colt is going to get plenty of exposure this preseason, either to show him off for a trade, or show him he sucks so he doesn't cry when we cut him.
Posted By: Browns Lifer Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 02:41 PM
Well... it'll be interesting. LOL

I'm VERY concerned about our defensive front seven. Losing Taylor and Gocong is really going to be a problem. We couldn't stop the run last season and we are decidedly worse off up front than we were then. I see big problems with this lineup.

Offensively, wow... we are very green. How quickly can this group come together? I'm looking forward to seeing this group grow as the season progresses. It could be REALLY ugly early on, however.

I picked 5-11 in the pre-season record poll. Looking at our current depth chart, I'm going to be crossing my fingers in hopes of getting five wins.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 03:06 PM
I don't know if they are going to count Cribbs as a WR.

Anyway, they have really talked up how Massaquoi has improved this year, and so have observers in camp. I have seen videos of him making plays, and even Weeds has made a point to single him out for some great plays in the end zone.

I think that he's going to stay. You absolutely need someone at the position with experience. We will have Little, (2nd year) Benjamin, (R) and Gordon (R) all on the roster. It; possible that we could have a battle between Norwood (2nd year) and Cooper (R) for a spot.

I do agree with you if they count Cribbs as a WR. My only question would be if Cooper were to beat out Norwood, and whether or not they count Cribbs as a WR despite them hardly working him there at all.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 03:44 PM
Quote:

I don't know if they are going to count Cribbs as a WR.

Anyway, they have really talked up how Massaquoi has improved this year, and so have observers in camp. I have seen videos of him making plays, and even Weeds has made a point to single him out for some great plays in the end zone.

I think that he's going to stay. You absolutely need someone at the position with experience. We will have Little, (2nd year) Benjamin, (R) and Gordon (R) all on the roster. It; possible that we could have a battle between Norwood (2nd year) and Cooper (R) for a spot.

I do agree with you if they count Cribbs as a WR. My only question would be if Cooper were to beat out Norwood, and whether or not they count Cribbs as a WR despite them hardly working him there at all.

Of course they will count Cribbs as a WR ... we have since he entered the League. If they say that we are keeping 6, then I would assume that Cribbs is included. I might be a formality, but they don't offer ST's players their own position descriptions. Maybe some day they will. ((Shrug)) who knows?
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 03:51 PM
My point is that Shurmur may mean that we will keep 6 "true" WRs ..... guys who will actually be playing the position.

He has all but said that Cribbs won't be playing much WR this year.

We don't really know for certain which he meant.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 03:57 PM
Quote:

My point is that Shurmur may mean that we will keep 6 "true" WRs ..... guys who will actually be playing the position.

He has all but said that Cribbs won't be playing much WR this year.

We don't really know for certain which he meant.

Cribbs is still going to get some looks at WR and you can take that to the bank, because that check is sure to clear.

If we keep 6 true WR's then we will be mortgaging another position.

We will put that 7th guy on the PS.

Remember too that Moe's contract expires at the end of the season and we usually have one or two that we keep there every year anyways.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 03:57 PM
I honestly don't care who makes the backup QB spot, because I think we're all in agreement we're screwed anyway.

If Colt, and his people are going to be difficult, than the decision is easy. I don't understand his thought process on this whole thing, because it's not like he's starting anywhere else in the NFL. If he could have, he'd have been traded the next day after Weeden was taken.

Honestly, with the way things have gone for us, his best bet, wouldn't have been to keep his mouth shut, say the right things, and wait for his turn again with the Browns should Weeden get hurt or flame out. (I'm not saying that's going to happen, I'm just saying we've seen that trend all too much with this team)
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 04:01 PM
j/c

This is the first "initial" depth chart. I don't really think that tells us very much as to how it will look going into openning day.

JMHO
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 04:08 PM
Quote:

I honestly don't care who makes the backup QB spot, because I think we're all in agreement we're screwed anyway.

If Colt, and his people are going to be difficult, than the decision is easy. I don't understand his thought process on this whole thing, because it's not like he's starting anywhere else in the NFL. If he could have, he'd have been traded the next day after Weeden was taken.

Honestly, with the way things have gone for us, his best bet, wouldn't have been to keep his mouth shut, say the right things, and wait for his turn again with the Browns should Weeden get hurt or flame out. (I'm not saying that's going to happen, I'm just saying we've seen that trend all too much with this team)

I don't think that the Coach or Weeden are looking over their shoulder. I guess if you had the confidence that I have in Weeden you might see things a little different too.

All of the talk is by the Media and they are feeding off of the fans laughing all the way to the bank, because we feed the fire and they fan the flames.

All of this negativity focused toward Colt McCoy is a result of some folks lack of confidence in Weeden's abilities.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 04:21 PM
Quote:

All of this negativity focused toward Colt McCoy is a result of some folks lack of confidence in Weeden's abilities.

It has nothing to do with Weeden and his abilities. It is about a spoiled brat that cries whenever he doesnt get his way. QB is your leader. He has to be the most mentality tough individual on the whole team and if he isn't he better be able to fake it.

I don't worry about what Colt's crying will do to Weeden but I do worry about his influence with the young receivers like Benjamin, Gordon and Little.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 04:32 PM
Quote:

Quote:

It has nothing to do with Weeden and his abilities. It is about a spoiled brat that cries whenever he doesnt get his way. QB is your leader. He has to be the most mentality tough individual on the whole team and if he isn't he better be able to fake it.

I don't worry about what Colt's crying will do to Weeden but I do worry about his influence with the young receivers like Benjamin, Gordon and Little.

What crying?

The only ones crying are those who for whatever reason want to see him gone.

He is being crucified by fans a media alike for no good apparent reason (sound familiar?) other then, those who find pleasure in some elses misfortunes.

I give Colt credit for even speaking to the media after what's been fabricated by them and fans alike.

I already knew that the HU-Man race was going down the crapper, but my fellow man never seems to surprise me with less the HU-Man actions.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 04:40 PM
So the fact that most NFL teams that draft a first round QB, trade off or release their former starter has nothing to do with it, right?

The fact that Colt may want a fresh start elsewhere and have a chance to compete for a starting spot would have nothing to do with it either.

Some people just act like you can dictate players careers without them having any say in the matter.

Looking around the league, Colt getting traded is THE MOST likely scenario, bottom line. Don't blame some for being able to see the forest for the trees....

You're becoming a very funny guy.

Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 04:50 PM
Quote:

So the fact that most NFL teams that draft a first round QB, trade off or release their former starter has nothing to do with it, right?

The fact that Colt may want a fresh start elsewhere and have a chance to compete for a starting spot would have nothing to do with it either.

Some people just act like you can dictate players careers without them having any say in the matter.

Looking around the league, Colt getting traded is THE MOST likely scenario, bottom line. Don't blame some for being able to see the forest for the trees....

You're becoming a very funny guy.

Pit, Colt was never an embedded starter here.

and yes I do have a good since of humor.

Montana was with the 9ers for some years after they brought in Young too.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 05:40 PM
Quote:

Like the Steelers did when they drafted Big Ben?
Or the Chargers when they drafted Rivers?
Did the Dolphins trade/cut Moore yet?
Surely the Giants wouldn't go out and get Kurt Warner the same year they drafted Eli right?

Quote:

You can if they are under contract.... either be our back up or stay home and don't get paid... pretty simple.

Quote:

colt is the most logical choice to be our back-up... younger, more upside, cheaper... I think one of those trees must have fallen on your head.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 05:40 PM
j/c

I'm not sure what colt was supposed to say. Something like "Oh, I knew as soon as we drafted Weeden that it was me and seneca looking for backup, and I'm damn excited to be the backup, especially since I knew the starters job was Weedens when we drafted him." ???

Know what - the same people that are currently all down on colt and want him traded, yesterday..........would be all over a statement like that, too. It would be all "see, the guy rolled over. Not a competitive bone in his body.....all he wants is the check for being a backup. We need to trade or release him, instantly. Poor little cry baby doesn't even want to compete for the starting job.".......etc, etc, etc.
Posted By: Dave Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 05:52 PM
He was supposed to smile and say "Aw shucks, Mary Kay, I'm proud as punch just to be a part of this great franchise, and if the Good Lord's plan for me is to carry a clipboard and wear a ballcap then, dad-gummit, I'm gonna be the best durn clipboard carrier in the history of the NFL!".

That's what he was supposed to say ... dadgummit.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 05:56 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What crying?

The only ones crying are those who for whatever reason want to see him gone.

He is being crucified by fans a media alike for no good apparent reason (sound familiar?) other then, those who find pleasure in some elses misfortunes.

I give Colt credit for even speaking to the media after what's been fabricated by them and fans alike.

I already knew that the HU-Man race was going down the crapper, but my fellow man never seems to surprise me with less the HU-Man actions.

I think when people say Colts cryin it's because of something he said yesterday when asked about Weeden being named Starter. He made reference to how he hadn't gotten much work with the ones and so it didn't exactly appear to be a competition (I'm paraphrasing here)

None of that is untrue., Weeden got most of the reps with the ones, and therefore it's safe to say there really was no competition

Now, if calling things as they are is cryin,,, then that's what he was doing.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 06:00 PM
Quote:

I think when people say Colts cryin it's because of something he said yesterday when asked about Weeden being named Starter. He made reference to how he hadn't gotten much work with the ones and so it didn't exactly appear to be a competition (I'm paraphrasing here)

None of that is untrue., Weeden got most of the reps with the ones, and therefore it's safe to say there really was no competition

Well said.. he wasn't really complaining at all.. and people saying he was crying or whining are just unreal... he seemed upset because he was promised a competition and felt that no real competition existed...

Now the same people who always say the front office should be straight forward and honest with players are now blaming McCoy for being a little upset.
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 06:09 PM
Quote:

He was supposed to smile and say "Aw shucks, Mary Kay, I'm proud as punch just to be a part of this great franchise...

What do I have to do with this?
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 06:26 PM
Quote:

j/c

I'm not sure what colt was supposed to say. Something like "Oh, I knew as soon as we drafted Weeden that it was me and seneca looking for backup, and I'm damn excited to be the backup, especially since I knew the starters job was Weedens when we drafted him." ???

Know what - the same people that are currently all down on colt and want him traded, yesterday..........would be all over a statement like that, too. It would be all "see, the guy rolled over. Not a competitive bone in his body.....all he wants is the check for being a backup. We need to trade or release him, instantly. Poor little cry baby doesn't even want to compete for the starting job.".......etc, etc, etc.

Yeah, only in football do we interview the loser and get our panties in a wad if he doesn't sound happy.

NTU, but
How do you think a nasecar driver feels after losing a race.

Some people are just so unreal.

I call it the kick'em when their down syndrome. It makes people feel better about themselves and their lives, never mind that it's at the expense of someones misfortunes.

Like I said I give him credit for even speaking to the media after the announcement that we have 'all' known was coming for months anyway.

You think that he wasn't aware that he would be asked the dumb questions he was asked? He knew that no good could come for it, yet he maned up and made himself available just the same.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 06:30 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Well said.. he wasn't really complaining at all.. and people saying he was crying or whining are just unreal... he seemed upset because he was promised a competition and felt that no real competition existed...

Now the same people who always say the front office should be straight forward and honest with players are now blaming McCoy for being a little upset.

Same thing happened when Seneca was brought in, and he got the same reaction from the posters. Really shouldn't be a surprised, IMO.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 06:33 PM
Quote:

Well some of us get it. You obviously get it too.

I have no agenda here other then to see the best players we can take to a game and have on this team.

I would hate to see us get rid of a better QB, because of silly nonsense.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 06:59 PM
Quote:

Yeah, only in football do we interview the loser and get our panties in a wad if he doesn't sound happy.

Not exactly, if the Browns lose and then have a laugh on the field with a friend from another team they are also demonized for not caring... evidently they are supposed to sulk home, smack the wife and kick the dog all week until they play again...

Colt was demoted for the first time in his life. I remember the first time I was fired from a job, I felt like crap for a while and tried to figure out what I did wrong, what I could have done differently... it took me a short while to get my feet under me. Colt is what, 27? And he just got demoted in a very public way... give the kid a chance to adjust and figure it out, if he doesn't, let him go... I happen to think he will. This whole notion that a guy is suppose to know exactly how and when to turn his emotions on and off and that it should be instinctive for a 27 year old guy is just amazing to me.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 07:02 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Well see DC,, here's the deal, some on here believe that Colt has a delicate mental state to go along with his weak arm and inability to do anything right without support from teammates and that the front office didn't want to hurt his feelings so they promised him a competition but in the back room, they all sat around and laughed and snickered that they just put one over on him.

I have no doubt there are at least two people on this board that believe that's true
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 07:33 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Not exactly, if the Browns lose and then have a laugh on the field with a friend from another team they are also demonized for not caring... evidently they are supposed to sulk home, smack the wife and kick the dog all week until they play again...

Colt was demoted for the first time in his life. I remember the first time I was fired from a job, I felt like crap for a while and tried to figure out what I did wrong, what I could have done differently... it took me a short while to get my feet under me. Colt is what, 27? And he just got demoted in a very public way... give the kid a chance to adjust and figure it out, if he doesn't, let him go... I happen to think he will. This whole notion that a guy is suppose to know exactly how and when to turn his emotions on and off and that it should be instinctive for a 27 year old guy is just amazing to me.

Not that it makes a whole bunch of difference, but he is only 25.

Like anyone we need time to work threw our disappointments.

Right now I think that Colt needs to stay clear of the Media (they brought that on themselves) and just go about his business and control what he can control and not worry about what he can not.

I don't think that he has done anything other then that throughout this training camp.

Believe it or not he has been and is still in competition for the backup QB position.

In a sense he has been in competition even if it wasn't for the starting QB position, then many others on this team are in the same boat, so he need not feel lonesome.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 07:53 PM
Listen to Pluto's podcast.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index.ssf/2012/08/terry_pluto_talks_about_colt_m.html

He speaks about McCoy quite a bit, and McCoy hasn't been some valiant warrior in practice.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 07:58 PM
Pluto also said that Acho has been extremely unimpressive thus far in camp too.

JMJ is playing very well, and the team likes his versatility as well.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 08:12 PM
He also said how Derek Andersons arm is much stronger than Weeden's.

What's your point again?

Oh - you want to point out flaws of one particular player.

Did you notice how he said Weeden is slow of foot?

And, I know you well enough that you'll attempt to translate this post into me hoping Weeden fails.................and you'll look dumb if you do that.

What I'm saying is you pick and choose what you post, and dude, it shows.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 08:28 PM
Quote:

Listen to Pluto's podcast.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index.ssf/2012/08/terry_pluto_talks_about_colt_m.html

He speaks about McCoy quite a bit, and McCoy hasn't been some valiant warrior in practice.

HEY, SOMEBODY AGREES WITH ME, I'LL POST IT IN EVERY THREAD!!!!!!!!
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 08:36 PM
Hey DC ... I hear that Matt Moore is ecstatic over being demoted in Miami after going 6-3 last season.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 08:41 PM
Quote:

Hey DC ... I hear that Matt Moore is ecstatic over being demoted in Miami after going 6-3 last season.

Moore went 6-6 last season.
though he was demoted after going 4-1 in 2009

you can clearly see from his stat page that he is only a capable QB in odd numbered years though, so this should be of no surprise to him:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MoorMa01.htm
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 08:47 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Moore went 6-6 last season.
though he was demoted after going 4-1 in 2009

you can clearly see from his stat page that he is only a capable QB in odd numbered years though, so this should be of no surprise to him:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MoorMa01.htm

Your correct what I meant to say and did not, was over the last 9 games

But that wasn't the point.

NFL headlines:

"Moore admits being frustrated by spot on Dolphins' depth chart"
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 08:51 PM
Quote:

He was 6-3 in his final 9 games after starting 0-3.. he also said in a quote that he's frustrated. He really needs to put on his big boy underpants and take it like a man instead of a whiney cry baby. People in the NFL aren't allowed to get frustrated.... and if they do, they darn sure aren't supposed to tell anybody.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 08:54 PM
Quote:

Quote:

He was 6-3 in his final 9 games after starting 0-3.. he also said in a quote that he's frustrated. He really needs to put on his big boy underpants and take it like a man instead of a whiney cry baby. People in the NFL aren't allowed to get frustrated.... and if they do, they darn sure aren't supposed to tell anybody.

Even when questioned
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 09:14 PM
oh, I know where you were driving that bus, I just saw the "Moore is only good in odd years" thing awhile back and figured this was a good place to insert it. i mean, how often are we going to discuss Matt Moore this year?

maybe we should swap Colt for Moore. and go...
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 09:26 PM
Quote:

You might have something there.

Right now I'm more concerned how our young LBers look this preseason, because we will have to count on one or more of them.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 09:42 PM
Quote:

Quote:

You might have something there.

Right now I'm more concerned how our young LBers look this preseason, because we will have to count on one or more of them.

i'd actually be about the same with Moore or Colt. especially with Miami running about the same offense now (so Moore is coming up to speed).

I am hopeful with our young LBers, but the odds of us not needing a QB2 are pretty poor if you go by our recent history (or really most teams).
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 09:45 PM
If Weeden was 24 and we wanted to sit him a year? I'd swap Colt for Moore in a second.

But if you bring a guy like Moore here, he's going to want to start more than Colt would IMO.

The only way I see us getting rid of Colt now is maybe a Colt/Draft pick for a LB/Draft pick kind of swap... Unless they feel fine going with what we have...

I'm surprised Philly hasn't come calling for Colt to put behind Vick.
Posted By: bleednbrown Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 09:47 PM
I know I'm coming in late here, but Stephens was coming on like gangbusters until he got hurt. Hope to see more of him this yr.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 10:26 PM
I don't really remember much out of him.

I just looked and he had 17 tackles in 11 games, with no sacks.

What did you see out of him that makes you feel that he was coming on strong? I honestly can't remember a single play he made ...... just that he sent Jayme "The best pass rusher on the team" Mitchell to the bench.
Posted By: bleednbrown Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 10:49 PM
I remember the last 2 games he played in. He was making some tackles off the edge & got some good pressure on the QB. They commented on it on the TV. Next thing ya know, he's hurt & on IR. I was hoping to see more of him when that happened. I was thinking when camp started, if he would take over where I remember him leaving off.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 10:58 PM
Quote:

I know I'm coming in late here, but Stephens was coming on like gangbusters until he got hurt. Hope to see more of him this yr.

I agree and I think that he will make the cuts.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 11:32 PM
Quote:

Pit, Colt was never an embedded starter here

He was the named starter and started 20 games.

Quote:

That's cool, so do I. Though some find it a little dry, warped and sarcastic from time to time.

Quote:

Actually you are trying to comapre someone who had been a franchise QB for a long period of time. A HOF'er, to a kid early in his career with almost the opoite resume'.

Yes, you will find acceptions to the rule, but this isn't the case most of the time. So you dug all the way to the early 90's for this?

That's part of my point had you been reading. Colt is very young and has had 20 starts. His record isn't pretty.

What would make you think that Colt would even want to stay here? He hasn't publicly stated he wanted to leave, but if you were a young kid who had a poor supporting cast, told you would get to compete and then didn't,,,,,,,,,

Would you want to stay here or go somewhere you felt you maught have a chance to compete for the starting job?

Just like when Montana thought he hadn't been treated fairly he moved on to KC. If the same holds true for Colts feelings, he'll want to move on too.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/07/12 11:56 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Pit, Colt was never an embedded starter here

He was the named starter and started 20 games.

Quote:

That's cool, so do I. Though some find it a little dry, warped and sarcastic from time to time.

Quote:

Actually you are trying to comapre someone who had been a franchise QB for a long period of time. A HOF'er, to a kid early in his career with almost the opoite resume'.

Yes, you will find acceptions to the rule, but this isn't the case most of the time. So you dug all the way to the early 90's for this?

That's part of my point had you been reading. Colt is very young and has had 20 starts. His record isn't pretty.

What would make you think that Colt would even want to stay here? He hasn't publicly stated he wanted to leave, but if you were a young kid who had a poor supporting cast, told you would get to compete and then didn't,,,,,,,,,

Would you want to stay here or go somewhere you felt you maught have a chance to compete for the starting job?

Just like when Montana thought he hadn't been treated fairly he moved on to KC. If the same holds true for Colts feelings, he'll want to move on too.

Montana was an extreme case and a long time ago true, but it's not as uncommon as your saying and Colt was never said to be the franchise or had that stamp of approval of the FO or the Coach.

He was what we had.

Don't forget that we signed Wallace and Delhome before Drafting Colt.

If you told me that we could sign a better #2 option then I would be all for it.

That's my #1 concern.

Some times it comes down to what you can get in a given year in the Draft. Last year we didn't go that route (though in retrospect Dalton was doable).
Posted By: Dawgpound017 Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/08/12 12:52 AM
Ugh....I started to get queasy when I read through the LB depth chart. Scary if we get one more injury there.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/08/12 01:19 AM
Fortunately linebacker is an easy position to fill as teams are always dumping quality vet backers for younger faster special teams linebackers. Jauron runs a very simplistic defense which will help as anyone we bring in at linebacker has probably played in a pretty similar scheme at one time or another.

I like our quickness at linebacker and the range of Maiva, DQ and JMJ but losing Big PHil and now Gocong just cost us our 2 best run defenders. Ward back will help big time. Rucker is a very good run stuffing DE as well and that will help but Sheard is a bit reckless against the run and that means the linebacker behind him needs to be exceptional against the run.

We may not really know what we have until after the final preseason game anyway.
Posted By: Thebigbaddawg Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/08/12 01:50 AM
Quote:

What's your point again?

And, I know you well enough that you'll attempt to translate this post into me hoping Weeden fails.................and you'll look dumb if you do that.

Weeden is slower than McCoy, that's true.

But how is Weeden having a weaker arm than Anderson a flaw? Anderson has one of, if not the strongest arms in the NFL.
Posted By: KashDawg Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/08/12 02:05 AM
Quote:

j/c

This is the first "initial" depth chart. I don't really think that tells us very much as to how it will look going into openning day.

JMHO

This. Everyone needs to just calm down until the final depth chart is released and we have gone through final cuts.

I have a feeling there are going to be surprise cuts that get this board in an uproar.....

What else is new?

**Going back into hiding***

Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/08/12 02:14 AM
Quote:

Quote:

What's your point again?

Weeden is slower than McCoy, that's true.

But how is Weeden having a weaker arm than Anderson a flaw? Anderson has one of, if not the strongest arms in the NFL.

Please don't compare arms, at least Weeden knows how to throw a change up. Anderson's arm is flawed, he can only throw at one speed, which is the same for a 5 yard pass or 50 yard pass...
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/08/12 05:59 PM
My concern is Colt may simply not wish to be here any longer.

I mean in all seriousness, why would he want to be?

He was promised the chance to compete and he obviously knows he didn't really get one. Reports indicate that to one extent or the other, they weren't going to try to replace him in the draft.....And they did,

Even we know considering not having enough time to implement the system along with a very poor supporting cast last year, a good season was not in the cards.

A back-up QB is someone you want commited to his job. With the way everything went down, do you honestly feel Colt wants to be here as our back-up?
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/08/12 06:06 PM
Quote:

My concern is Colt may simply not wish to be here any longer.

I mean in all seriousness, why would he want to be?

He was promised the chance to compete and he obviously knows he didn't really get one. Reports indicate that to one extent or the other, they weren't going to try to replace him in the draft.....And they did,

Even we know considering not having enough time to implement the system along with a very poor supporting cast last year, a good season was not in the cards.

A back-up QB is someone you want commited to his job. With the way everything went down, do you honestly feel Colt wants to be here as our back-up?

I personally don't want a backup QB (or any player) who does not want to start. I think that he is committed to the team and once he gets over the shock I think that he is going to be a great asset for Weeden on the sidelines, because he is the type of competitor who will still have his head in the game and not just sitting on the bench watching the clock or scoreboard.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/08/12 06:14 PM
I understand what you "think".

But if you honestly feel you were misled, not given a fair shot here and lied to about getting a fair shot to compete for the starting job this year.........

Would you really trust your superiors? Would you rather be here wroking for people you no longer trust, or get a fresh start elsewhere?

To me, a lot of this has to do with how Colt feels about how he has been treated. And if I were him, I'd probably prefer a frsh start somewhere else.

Once this FO has shown he's obviously not going to get a shot here, why would he want to stay here?
Posted By: Arps Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/08/12 06:23 PM
JC here...

Does anyone really think that Colt out preformed Weeden in camp? If he lit it up and Weeden sucked Colt would start. He will probably also get snaps in preseason. I dont understand how he "didnt get a fair chance".
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/08/12 06:25 PM
May need an extra CB for our first four games when the news becomes official in a few minutes.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/08/12 06:27 PM
Quote:

I understand what you "think".

But if you honestly feel you were misled, not given a fair shot here and lied to about getting a fair shot to compete for the starting job this year.........

Would you really trust your superiors? Would you rather be here wroking for people you no longer trust, or get a fresh start elsewhere?

To me, a lot of this has to do with how Colt feels about how he has been treated. And if I were him, I'd probably prefer a frsh start somewhere else.

Once this FO has shown he's obviously not going to get a shot here, why would he want to stay here?

Please pardon the old expression, but he was never promised a rose garden here.
He'll be fine, but he needs to get his head around it and just do what is asked of him.

My Son went threw a similar thing this past spring with his College baseball team in being demoted from starter to the bullpen. It's a tough thing to go threw for any young man who has always been the best on his team trough high school.
Once he excepted his fate he was fine and he was committed to seeing threw what he started.

Chances are pretty good in this League that a # 2 QB will still get some starts.
I don't know that he will get a better opportunity elsewhere either.

I don't think that he has the word quit in his constitution.
Posted By: Arps Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/08/12 06:29 PM
Quote:

May need an extra CB for our first four games when the news becomes official in a few minutes.

crap...just saw
Posted By: Flap Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/08/12 06:31 PM
Quote:

Quote:

crap...just saw

I saw that grossi's running with it, but wasn't this shot down a week or two ago with the guys admitting he 'just wanted to see the power of twitter'?
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/08/12 06:38 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

crap...just saw

I saw that grossi's running with it, but wasn't this shot down a week or two ago with the guys admitting he 'just wanted to see the power of twitter'?

it was over this past weekend and yes the guy admitted it was a false rumor.

unless there is something new here, Grossi just hit an alltime low (yes, even considering the lerner comments):
http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&post_id=2901
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/08/12 07:11 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

crap...just saw

it was over this past weekend and yes the guy admitted it was a false rumor.

unless there is something new here, Grossi just hit an alltime low (yes, even considering the lerner comments):
http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&post_id=2901

I guess as of now, we don't know exactly what is going on................but, in light of what MIGHT be happening, is anyone surprised the twitter isn't allowed as a source?
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/08/12 07:16 PM
Not I.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/08/12 07:29 PM
Quote:

I guess as of now, we don't know exactly what is going on................but, in light of what MIGHT be happening, is anyone surprised the twitter isn't allowed as a source?

well, to be fair, the only twitter posts people want allowed are those from journalists that use it to post some of their stories (like Grossi, Windhorst, etc.).

this rumor was started by some random guy with no credentials (now, it might have real legs, but let's wait and see)
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/08/12 07:40 PM
Quote:

There is no analogy what-so-ever that works between what happened between Montana and Young with what is going on between Weeden and McCoy... none, zilch, nada.

I remain convinced that the best thing for the Browns is to keep McCoy for reasons I've enumerated many times.. better, younger, greater upside, greater potential trade value, cheaper.... and the best thing for McCoy is stay in Cleveland this year, improve his skills and see if he gets a shot due to injury.... If Weeden goes down, even if its just for a game or 2 and McCoy comes in and looks pretty good, his trade value goes up exponentially and his opportunity to go compete for the starting job elsewhere goes with it. Leaving now he is not going to get to compete for the starting job anywhere. I hope he realizes that.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/08/12 07:56 PM
Quote:

I still don't understand the big deal. Even if this news or any news comes out to not be true, is it that big of a deal?

I mean, true or not, people are going to talk about it.

Not to mention, as it has been mentioned in the previous post, guys like Schefter, King, Mortensen, Clayton... Those guys don't post rumors. They post news. When they tweet something, it's true. It would be the same as posting their article from the website.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/08/12 08:03 PM
Yeah........kinda like when Harry Reid says he got an anonymous phone call that Romney hasn't paid his taxes in the last 10 years I guess.

All of a sudden, the onus is on Romney.

I still want affirmation that this is true.......(haden), and so far all I can make out for sure is Grossi is the one reporting it, from an anonymous sourced, and everyone else is running with it.

LIke I said - we'll find out. If true, I'm sad, sad for Haden, sad for the Browns, and a bit ticked.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/09/12 12:15 AM
Quote:

I'm not surprised it's not allowed in "Pure Football".

I am surprised there isn't some type of forum on this site where it is allowed though. Twitter is very popular and so are many of the sites that this forum considers "blogs or non-reliable sources".

I certainly don't consider them to be "Pure Football". I do however go to other places so I can find these things. As the fan base keeps getting younger and these "rumors" being more and more popular, I would think it would be a very good and smart idea to have such a forum here.

But hey, it's not my sand box.

Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns first depth chart - 08/09/12 12:40 AM
Quote:

There is no analogy what-so-ever that works between what happened between Montana and Young with what is going on between Weeden and McCoy... none, zilch, nada.

Firstly, I wasn't the one who originaly tried to compare the two. I responded to the poster who did.

But my comparison is accurate to the extent I made it. I compared two QB's. One who felt he was not treated fairly and another QB in Colt who may very well feel the same way. I also gave the reasons I felt as to why he may feel that way. Although the reasons that Montana felt that way and the reasoning that Colt may feel that way do differ, in the end, if Colt feels he too was treated unfairly, it doesn't change the fact that in the end they would both share the same feelings.

Quote:

reasons I've enumerated many times.. better, younger, greater upside, greater potential trade value, cheaper....

And I do not take issue with any of those points.

Quote:

and the best thing for McCoy is stay in Cleveland this year, improve his skills and see if he gets a shot due to injury.... If Weeden goes down, even if its just for a game or 2 and McCoy comes in and looks pretty good, his trade value goes up exponentially and his opportunity to go compete for the starting job elsewhere goes with it.

If Colt shares your views, I don't see any real problem here. But does he?

After our HC saying he felt good about going into this season with Colt as our starter and then drafting a QB in round 1?

After saying he'd get "a chance to compete" and then not only not getting reps with the first team, but his replacement being named before he even got to play in pre-season?

IF he feels as though he can not trust this FO and coaching staff, he may very well want out.

Quote:

Leaving now he is not going to get to compete for the starting job anywhere. I hope he realizes that.

Most likely not "this year". But Colt has two years left on his contract. He may very well feel if he has a good pre-season, his value would be high enough to at least get a "fair shot" somewhere else that he may feel he won't get here next year.

And BTW- If he were the back-up somewhere else, wouldn't he get the exact same chance to prove his worth before his next contract if their starter went down? If another team buys out his contract, he's not going to make more somewhere else next year anyway.........

So that has zilch, zero, nada to do with anything!

© DawgTalkers.net