Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Cleveland Browns
Browns release their first depth chart of 2012
By Nate Ulrich Published: August 6, 2012

The Browns released their first depth chart of the year tonight. Here it is:

OFFENSE

Wide receiver: Greg Little, Josh Gordon, Joshua Cribbs, Carlton Mitchell, Owen Spencer, Jermaine Saffold

Left tackle: Joe Thomas, Oniel Cousins, Jeff Shugarts

Left guard: Jason Pinkston, Jarrod Shaw, Matt Cleveland

Center: Alex Mack, John Greco, Garth Gerhart

Right guard: Shawn Lauvao, Dominic Alford, Stanley Daniels

Right tackle: Mitchell Schwartz, Ryan Miller, Jake Anderson

Tight end: Benjamin Watson, Jordan Cameron, Alex Smith, Evan Moore, Dan Gronkowski

Wide receiver: Mohamed Massaquoi, Travis Benjamin, Jordan Norwood, Rod Windsor, Josh Cooper, Bert Reed

Quarterback: Brandon Weeden, Colt McCoy, Seneca Wallace, Thaddeus Lewis

Fullback: Owen Marecic, Brad Smelley

Running back: Trent Richardson, Montario Hardesty, Brandon Jackson, Chris Ogbonnaya, Adonis Thomas

DEFENSE

Left end: Jabaal Sheard, Juqua Parker, Brian Sanford, William Green

Defensive tackle: Ahtyba Rubin, Billy Winn

Defensive tackle: John Hughes, Scott Paxson, Brian Schaefering, Kiante Tripp

Right end: Frostee Rucker, Emmanuel Stephens, Marcus Benard, Auston English

Strongside linebacker: Scott Fujita, James-Michael Johnson, Emmanuel Acho

Middle linebacker: D’Qwell Jackson, Benjamin Jacobs, L.J. Fort

Weakside linebacker: Kaluka Maiava, Craig Robertson, Quinton Spears, JoJo Dickson

Left cornerback: Joe Haden, Buster Skrine, Trevin Wade, Johnson Bademosi

Right cornerback: Sheldon Brown, Dimitri Patterson, James Dockery, Antwuan Reed

Free safety: Eric Hagg, Ray Ventrone, Tashaun Gipson

Strong safety: T.J. Ward, Usama Young, David Sims, Emanuel Davis

SPECIAL TEAMS

Punter: Reggie Hodges, Spencer Lanning

Kicker: Phil Dawson, Jeff Wolfert

Holder: Reggie Hodges

Punt returner: Joshua Cribbs, Travis Benjamin, Jordan Norwood

Kick returner: Joshua Cribbs, Buster Skrine, Travis Benjamin

Long snapper: Christian Yount

Injuries

Fullback Eddie Williams is on the Active/Physically unable to perform list

Defensive tackle Phil Taylor is on the Active/Physically unable to perform list
web page

Legend
Legend
I'm a little surprised that Norwood is in front of Cooper, but that may just be because Norwood was here last year. Not that I'd complain either way.

Also, I was surprised to see Evan Moore as the 4th Tight End behind Alex Smith. Moore better bring it these last 3 weeks or else he'll be gone IMO.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
123 Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I know i saw this coming, but when you actually see it, dang, this team is young. Going to be an interesting preseason, let's see who steps up!

oioioioi
E
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
E
Interesting to see Colt as the #2 when Seneca seemed to have the inside track, and Cameron as the #2 TE, he must really be impressing in camp. Also Hagg in the front running for FS, that's good to see.

Legend
Legend
They have to put McCoy in a position to be shown off so they can trade him.

Sorry, but I see no way in hell that he is on the roster come opening day.

I suppose that some people will find that hateful ..... but in reality ..... it's just reality.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I suppose that some people will find that hateful ..... but in reality ..... it's just reality.

LOL yeah, your reality.

[Linked Image]

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Benard at 3rd string RE is shocking to me.

Interesting that they put Gordon behind Little. I guess that means he is the 3rd WR? I think MoMass would be a better slot guy.

Cameron at 2nd TE is exciting.

you had a good run Hank.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

LOL yeah, your reality.

We'll see.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

G
2nd String
2nd String
G
Tight End: Wow, Jordan Cameron must have really impressed the coaches. Also, Evan Moore has been hurt lately, and they may have put him 4th on the list due to his past injury history. Does anyone remember how many TE's the Browns carried last season? Moore appears to be on the bubble this season.

Wide receiver: I'm surprised to see Travis Benjamin 2nd on the list, as I thought due to his size and rookie status, he'd be behind Norwood. It appears the locks for WR are Little, Gordon, Cribbs, Massaquoi, Benjamin and Norwood. So that leaves out Mitchell and the rest of the camp bodies including Cooper? Or is there a chance that the Browns carry 7 WR's? I doubt it.

Fullback: They still appear to be favoring Marecic over Smelly (most likely due to his 4th round pick they spent). Chances they carry two FB's this season?

Defensive Tackle: It's good to see Hughes beating out Veterans on the team.

Right End: Interesting to see UDFA Stephens ahead of Marcus Benard and Auston English. I remember a lot of people raving about English a year ago or so. I haven't heard anything about Benard thriving in camp, but he's been productive in Pass Rushing situations.

Who are the LB'ers that make the final 53 Man Roster?

Also, Wade or Dockery or both? Who makes it?

VENTRONE!?!?!?! SERIOUSLY!?!?!?! Come on, I swear if I ever see him on the field I'll scream. Great on Special Teams, but that is it. We can't find another FS that can do both as a decent or average backup?

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Im not all that suprised to see Colt as the #2 back up bacause he was the starter over Wallace last year. Its a natural progression you lose the starting job you move to #2.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
Legend
Legend
We carried 4 TEs last year. (Watson, Moore, Smith, and Cameron)

I suspect that Smelley is in a good position to win one of the spots as a combo TE/FB/H Back.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
The Big surprise for me is John Hughes moved into starting DT. It is good to see. I think we will see a rotation of Winn and Hughes opposite Rubin but before all is said and done, I think Winn will be the guy that gets the most playing time. His explosion is special.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I'd hope he'd be able to make the roster over Alex Smith.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Benard at 3rd string RE is shocking to me.

Shocking to me as well.. where the heck did Emmanuel Stephens come from? I know he can't be better than Benard.

the other thing I'm not understanding is this Ray Ventrone guy.. GET HIM OFF OF OUR ROSTER!! I was expecting Bademosi to replace him at safety, yet he's at the corner position.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
haha I had to laugh at your Ventrone comment. My dad and I just had this same conversation a few nights ago. We both basically said ... FOR THE LOVE OF GOD just don't have Ventrone's name appear anywhere this fall ... just because

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
I think barring injury, the only people you will see at safety are Hagg, Ward, Young, and maybe Brown.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

We carried 4 TEs last year. (Watson, Moore, Smith, and Cameron)

I suspect that Smelley is in a good position to win one of the spots as a combo TE/FB/H Back.

That's my take too ... remember we only kept one FB last season, because Smith played there as well, so I think that would be a good trade off ... Smelly for Smith

This just came out this evening ... I know because I looked for earlier today and it wasn't posted yet.

Every year this 1st depth chart is about as useful as ___on bore hog.

Here's my initial 53 man roster prediction: (disclaimer: I had trouble naming enough LBers)

QB: (3)
Brandon Weeden
Colt McCoy
Thaddeus Lewis

RB: (3)
Trent Richardson
Montario Hardesty
Brandon Jackson

FB: (2)
Owen Marecic
Brad Smelley

TE: (3)
Ben Watson
Jordan Cameron
Alex Smith

WR: (5)
Greg Little
Josh Gordon
Mohamed Massaquoi
Travis Benjamin
Jordan Norwood
Joshua Cribbs (RS)

OL: (9)
Joe Thomas
Jason Pinkston
Alex Mack
Shawn Lauvao
Mitchell Schwartz
John Greco
Ryan Miller
Oniel Cousins
Garth Gerhart

LS: Christian Yount
PK: Phil Dawson

^ (28)

DL: (8)
Jabaal Sheard
Scott Paxson
Ahtyba Ruben
Frostee Rucker
John Hughes
Billy Winn
Juqua Parker
Emmanuel Stephens

LB: (7)
James-Michael Johnson
D'Qwell Jackson
Kaluka Maiava
Scott Fujita
Emmanuel Acho
Benjamin Jacobs
JoJo Dickson (ST’s)

DB : (9)
Joe Haden
TJ. Ward
Eric Hagg
Sheldon Brown
Dimitri Patterson
Buster Skrine
Usama Young
James Dockery
Ray Ventrone (ST's)

P: Reggie Hodges

^(25)

(PUP): Phil Taylor

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 08/06/12 11:10 PM.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Emmanuel Stephens took over last year when Jayme Mitchell was benched last year.

He wasn't very good either.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

The Big surprise for me is John Hughes moved into starting DT. It is good to see. I think we will see a rotation of Winn and Hughes opposite Rubin but before all is said and done, I think Winn will be the guy that gets the most playing time. His explosion is special.

But how is Winn's gap integrity? Does he overshoot and leave his LB's out to dry?

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
He isn't there yet against the run but we have some great teachers and this kid has a world of talent. He will be the steal of this draft. Heck I have no problem if he never becomes more than your nickel pass rusher considering we have the likes of Big Phil, Rubin and Hughes to play the run.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Coming from almost anyone else, it might not be considered hateful.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Only surprise on the offensive depth chart for me is that Cousins is listed as the backup LT and Miller the backup RT. Scary stuff.

I am not surprised at all about Moore's standing. As I said in the TE thread a few weeks back, I thought he was the guy on the bubble after disappointing last year in both effort and production (and bowel incontinence) and Cameron improving. I think we all had high hopes for him. He may still make the team, but with Smelley being promising, a better blocker, and more versatile, I think Smelley stays before Moore. Only situation I see Moore making the team at this point is if Smelley overtakes Marecic or if Marecic/TE1/2/3 get injured in preseason. He'd better step it up come game time.

WRs... Shurmur said they want to keep 6. Unless they decide they want to try to get a late-rounder for Massaquoi, I think Gordon, MoMass, Little, Benjamin, Norwood, Cribbs is the right way to go.

I am a bit surprised on the defensive depth chart in a few places.

Emmanuel Stephens over Marcus Benard really is only a small surprise, though, as Stephens provided an upgrade over Mitchell last year in his spot duty. Will we keep 5 DEs? Will the fifth be Paxson or Benard? Or does Parker have to show something in preseason to keep his spot?

JMJ and Acho at the same spot I'm surprised about. If you're looking at both of them as strongside players, why do you draft Acho over Travis Lewis? Especially when you had out-of-position Gocong and out-of-his-league Maiava starting on the weakside last year? One of those LBs in the 2nd or 3rd (David, Brown, Wagner, D. Davis) sure would look good on this team. Ugh I really think we blew some golden opportunities this past draft.

I'm surprised Bademosi is listed as a CB and even more surprised Davis is listed at SS. Davis was a pretty good corner at ECU and a good tackler, but he's a small guy. He's not a safety in this league. Doomed from the start if that's where they put him.

Who is David Sims? I don't remember ever hearing his name.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

JMJ and Acho at the same spot I'm surprised about

biggest surprise to me as well. the only thing I could gather from it is that Acho isn't ready to start, so JMJ needs to be our SOLB starter with Fujita missing the first 3 games (and Maiava the WOLB starter).

when Fujita comes back, hopefully JMJ has proven his worth and he slides down to WOLB (and we'll see if Acho can unseat Fujita)

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Speaking about our TE position.

I think that Cameron will decide whom we keep as our number 3 TE and with Smelly we won't keep 4.

Here is how I see it shaking out:

It all depends on weather or not we feel that Cameron can play in line or not. If he can I think that Moore will make the team, but if we have any doubts there, then I think that we will keep Smith over Moore, because we do not want to go into the season with Watson as our only in line option at TE.

After losing Gocong I have a hard time with seeing how the LBer position will shake out without a lot of projection there. Ikm hoping that one of our FA emerge in camp/preseason.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Well, JMJ played strongside OLB and MLB in college, so him being there was no surprise to me. I'm sure they have some kind of plan... what's there right now doesn't make a whole lot of sense on the surface to me.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Well, JMJ played strongside OLB and MLB in college, so him being there was no surprise to me. I'm sure they have some kind of plan... what's there right now doesn't make a whole lot of sense on the surface to me.

but are they going to let Maiava start and JMJ stick on the bench when Fujita comes back? i'm hoping JMJ makes sure to put a strong hold on starting in his time (I would not be opposed to Fujita being a backup - in fact I'm in favor, but I'm just not expecting it)

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I agree. Colt is going to get plenty of exposure this preseason, either to show him off for a trade, or show him he sucks so he doesn't cry when we cut him.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Well... it'll be interesting. LOL

I'm VERY concerned about our defensive front seven. Losing Taylor and Gocong is really going to be a problem. We couldn't stop the run last season and we are decidedly worse off up front than we were then. I see big problems with this lineup.

Offensively, wow... we are very green. How quickly can this group come together? I'm looking forward to seeing this group grow as the season progresses. It could be REALLY ugly early on, however.

I picked 5-11 in the pre-season record poll. Looking at our current depth chart, I'm going to be crossing my fingers in hopes of getting five wins.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Legend
Legend
I don't know if they are going to count Cribbs as a WR.

Anyway, they have really talked up how Massaquoi has improved this year, and so have observers in camp. I have seen videos of him making plays, and even Weeds has made a point to single him out for some great plays in the end zone.

I think that he's going to stay. You absolutely need someone at the position with experience. We will have Little, (2nd year) Benjamin, (R) and Gordon (R) all on the roster. It; possible that we could have a battle between Norwood (2nd year) and Cooper (R) for a spot.

I do agree with you if they count Cribbs as a WR. My only question would be if Cooper were to beat out Norwood, and whether or not they count Cribbs as a WR despite them hardly working him there at all.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I don't know if they are going to count Cribbs as a WR.

Anyway, they have really talked up how Massaquoi has improved this year, and so have observers in camp. I have seen videos of him making plays, and even Weeds has made a point to single him out for some great plays in the end zone.

I think that he's going to stay. You absolutely need someone at the position with experience. We will have Little, (2nd year) Benjamin, (R) and Gordon (R) all on the roster. It; possible that we could have a battle between Norwood (2nd year) and Cooper (R) for a spot.

I do agree with you if they count Cribbs as a WR. My only question would be if Cooper were to beat out Norwood, and whether or not they count Cribbs as a WR despite them hardly working him there at all.

Of course they will count Cribbs as a WR ... we have since he entered the League. If they say that we are keeping 6, then I would assume that Cribbs is included. I might be a formality, but they don't offer ST's players their own position descriptions. Maybe some day they will. ((Shrug)) who knows?

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
My point is that Shurmur may mean that we will keep 6 "true" WRs ..... guys who will actually be playing the position.

He has all but said that Cribbs won't be playing much WR this year.

We don't really know for certain which he meant.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

My point is that Shurmur may mean that we will keep 6 "true" WRs ..... guys who will actually be playing the position.

He has all but said that Cribbs won't be playing much WR this year.

We don't really know for certain which he meant.

Cribbs is still going to get some looks at WR and you can take that to the bank, because that check is sure to clear.

If we keep 6 true WR's then we will be mortgaging another position.

We will put that 7th guy on the PS.

Remember too that Moe's contract expires at the end of the season and we usually have one or two that we keep there every year anyways.

[Linked Image]

S
Legend
Legend
S
I honestly don't care who makes the backup QB spot, because I think we're all in agreement we're screwed anyway.

If Colt, and his people are going to be difficult, than the decision is easy. I don't understand his thought process on this whole thing, because it's not like he's starting anywhere else in the NFL. If he could have, he'd have been traded the next day after Weeden was taken.

Honestly, with the way things have gone for us, his best bet, wouldn't have been to keep his mouth shut, say the right things, and wait for his turn again with the Browns should Weeden get hurt or flame out. (I'm not saying that's going to happen, I'm just saying we've seen that trend all too much with this team)

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

This is the first "initial" depth chart. I don't really think that tells us very much as to how it will look going into openning day.

JMHO

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I honestly don't care who makes the backup QB spot, because I think we're all in agreement we're screwed anyway.

If Colt, and his people are going to be difficult, than the decision is easy. I don't understand his thought process on this whole thing, because it's not like he's starting anywhere else in the NFL. If he could have, he'd have been traded the next day after Weeden was taken.

Honestly, with the way things have gone for us, his best bet, wouldn't have been to keep his mouth shut, say the right things, and wait for his turn again with the Browns should Weeden get hurt or flame out. (I'm not saying that's going to happen, I'm just saying we've seen that trend all too much with this team)

I don't think that the Coach or Weeden are looking over their shoulder. I guess if you had the confidence that I have in Weeden you might see things a little different too.

All of the talk is by the Media and they are feeding off of the fans laughing all the way to the bank, because we feed the fire and they fan the flames.

All of this negativity focused toward Colt McCoy is a result of some folks lack of confidence in Weeden's abilities.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

All of this negativity focused toward Colt McCoy is a result of some folks lack of confidence in Weeden's abilities.

It has nothing to do with Weeden and his abilities. It is about a spoiled brat that cries whenever he doesnt get his way. QB is your leader. He has to be the most mentality tough individual on the whole team and if he isn't he better be able to fake it.

I don't worry about what Colt's crying will do to Weeden but I do worry about his influence with the young receivers like Benjamin, Gordon and Little.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

It has nothing to do with Weeden and his abilities. It is about a spoiled brat that cries whenever he doesnt get his way. QB is your leader. He has to be the most mentality tough individual on the whole team and if he isn't he better be able to fake it.

I don't worry about what Colt's crying will do to Weeden but I do worry about his influence with the young receivers like Benjamin, Gordon and Little.

What crying?

The only ones crying are those who for whatever reason want to see him gone.

He is being crucified by fans a media alike for no good apparent reason (sound familiar?) other then, those who find pleasure in some elses misfortunes.

I give Colt credit for even speaking to the media after what's been fabricated by them and fans alike.

I already knew that the HU-Man race was going down the crapper, but my fellow man never seems to surprise me with less the HU-Man actions.

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 08/07/12 12:46 PM.

[Linked Image]

P
Legend
Legend
P
So the fact that most NFL teams that draft a first round QB, trade off or release their former starter has nothing to do with it, right?

The fact that Colt may want a fresh start elsewhere and have a chance to compete for a starting spot would have nothing to do with it either.

Some people just act like you can dictate players careers without them having any say in the matter.

Looking around the league, Colt getting traded is THE MOST likely scenario, bottom line. Don't blame some for being able to see the forest for the trees....

You're becoming a very funny guy.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

So the fact that most NFL teams that draft a first round QB, trade off or release their former starter has nothing to do with it, right?

The fact that Colt may want a fresh start elsewhere and have a chance to compete for a starting spot would have nothing to do with it either.

Some people just act like you can dictate players careers without them having any say in the matter.

Looking around the league, Colt getting traded is THE MOST likely scenario, bottom line. Don't blame some for being able to see the forest for the trees....

You're becoming a very funny guy.

Pit, Colt was never an embedded starter here.

and yes I do have a good since of humor.

Montana was with the 9ers for some years after they brought in Young too.

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 08/07/12 12:52 PM.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Like the Steelers did when they drafted Big Ben?
Or the Chargers when they drafted Rivers?
Did the Dolphins trade/cut Moore yet?
Surely the Giants wouldn't go out and get Kurt Warner the same year they drafted Eli right?

Quote:

You can if they are under contract.... either be our back up or stay home and don't get paid... pretty simple.

Quote:

colt is the most logical choice to be our back-up... younger, more upside, cheaper... I think one of those trees must have fallen on your head.

yebat' Putin
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns first depth chart

Link Copied to Clipboard