DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: cfrs15 Cuts - 02/06/13 08:44 PM
We cut Rucker. The Giants have cut Michael Boley and now Ahmad Bradshaw.
Posted By: CanadaDawg Re: Cuts - 02/06/13 10:03 PM
Giants also just cut Chris Canty who would look GREAT as a DE in our new 3-4. I hope we make a play on him.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Cuts - 02/06/13 10:04 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/06/eagles-dump-demetress-bell/

Eagles dump Demetress Bell

Posted by Mike Florio on February 6, 2013, 3:48 PM EST

AP
Last year, after Eagles left tackle Jason Peters suffered a ruptured Achilles tendon, the “break glass in case of emergency option” was Demetress Bell.

And now the bell has tolled for Demetress. The Eagles announced on Wednesday that the former Bills starter has been released.

It’s no surprise. With a $1 million base salary and an $8.5 million roster bonus due in 2013, this was a contract that was going to be honored only if Bell had played like Peters.

Bell didn’t. He appeared in nine games with five starts in his only season with the Eagles. He instantly becomes an unrestricted free agent.

The Eagles filled the roster spot by signing defensive end/linebacker Chris McCoy. And it will be difficult to know how McCoy fits into the team’s new defense since it doesn’t have, you know, a defensive coordinator.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Cuts - 02/06/13 10:49 PM
From the main site

this isn't a cut

Browns sign Dominic Alford

Posted 7 minutes ago

The Cleveland Browns have signed offensive lineman Dominic Alford to the roster, the team announced Wednesday evening.

The Cleveland Browns today signed offensive lineman Dominic Alford. Originally signed by the Browns as an undrafted free agent on July 30, 2011, he spent the entire 2011 season on the team’s practice squad. He was waived by Cleveland on August 31, 2012 and spent the final four weeks of the 2012 season on the Carolina Panthers’ practice squad.
Posted By: bringbackbernie Re: Cuts - 02/06/13 11:13 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/21651629/cap-casualty-season-here-are-some-likely-bigname-victims

Cap casualty season: Here are some likely big-name victims

The Ravens were still busing downtown to City Hall this morning, preparing for their victory parade through Baltimore, but even as they basked in the hometown celebration of the Lombardi Trophy, they realized change is afoot.

The focus is already on the 2013 season, the waiver period has begun, and that means teams are already starting to churn their rosters.

Undoubtedly, some big-name, big-money players are soon going to be hitting the street as free agents. For the 31 other teams in the NFL, the process has already begun; and for the champions, the process begins Wednesday when the Ravens' front office convenes with owner Steve Bisciotti to begin the difficult process of reshaping their roster for the future.

La Canfora: Top free agents: Offense | Defense

Teams have already started to contact agents for their players, needing to get hefty contracts restructured to create cap room -- for example, the Vikings can't carry Jared Allen at a $17 million cap hit, and the Lions can't do the same with Matthew Stafford at over a $20 million hit; both will get new deals. The Ravens don't have anything that glaring, although finding a way to create additional space by lowering the base salaries of guys like Terrell Suggs ($6.4 million) and Anquan Boldin ($6 million) is likely.

Teams now have just over a month to be cap compliant, and franchise tags will begin being applied in just two weeks. So the business of football is back in full swing, and the future starts now.

Later this week, the Titans will make it official and announce they are bringing back running back Chris Johnson -- $9 million of his $10-million salary for 2013 becomes guaranteed if he is on the roster five days after the Super Bowl. But other high-profile players will be looking for a new employer, beginning shortly. The Lions got it started with malcontent Titus Young on Monday, and there will be plenty more to come.

Here is a look at some players who could be contract/salary cap casualties, by position:

Quarterbacks

Michael Vick, Eagles ($15.5 million): He won't be making that kind of money, but something around $10 million isn't out of the question. The Eagles want to keep him at the right price, and I'd expect the Jaguars, Cardinals and Browns to also have interest if he hits the market or is trade bait.

Carson Palmer, Raiders ($13 million base salary): There is no way Oakland is going to pay him that kind of money to stay, sources said, and Palmer will have to decide how much cash he's willing to walk away from to stay.

Kevin Kolb, Cardinals ($9 million salary, plus $2 million roster bonus): He won't make that kind of money to stay, and I can't imagine Kolb getting the roster bonus, though if he's willing to settle for more like $5 million there could still be an opportunity for him in Arizona.

Alex Smith, 49ers ($7.5 million base salary plus $1 million roster bonus): The 49ers are talking tough about keeping him, but no one is buying that. He deserves a chance to start somewhere and will get that whether via trade -- most likely -- or by being cut before his roster bonus is due next month. Kansas City could be a landing spot.

Matt Cassel, Chiefs ($7.5 million): League sources said there is almost no chance he remains in Kansas City. The fans have turned on him, and it's time for a change.

Matt Hasselbeck, Titans ($5.5 million): He has been a great mentor to Jake Locker, but now it's time for the kid to sink or swim, and the Titans need to invest in weapons around him. With so many teams needy at quarterback, Hasselbeck could get a starting opportunity elsewhere if he is released.

Matt Flynn, Seahawks ($5.25 million): The Seahawks want to deal him, and the Jets are one possibility.

Offensive line

Doug Free, Cowboys ($7 million): Given the offensive line issues there and some of Free's struggles, and the fact the Cowboys are going to be missing $18 million in cap space from the sanctions against them put in place a year ago, this looks like the end.

Willie Colon, Steelers ($5.5 million): Played like a stud when moved inside to guard, but continues to suffer season-ending injuries and Pittsburgh is transitioning to a younger line.

Jared Gaither, Chargers ($4.5 million): Teams and teammates have questioned his desire to play in the past. His back is a constant issue and he has become a source of hostility in San Diego as a free-agent bust. I'd be shocked if he stays.
Wide receiver/Tight end

Darius Heyward-Bey, Raiders ($7.7 million): He flashed progress in 2011 but had another lost year in 2012. The Raiders are again in a roster/cap crunch and are still trying to get out from under bad contracts. I can't fathom him making this to stay.

Anquan Boldin, Ravens ($6 million): With Joe Flacco about to get paid, Baltimore's cap issues are only going to escalate. Boldin was so good in the playoffs, I have to figure they rework his deal to keep him.

Jermichael Finley, Packers ($4.4 million base plus $3 million roster bonus): At some point Aaron Rodgers is going to get a contract in line with how exceptional he is. Finley has proven to be a controversial figure and this team finds pass catchers in all regions of the draft. League sources expect Finley to be elsewhere.

Marcedes Lewis, Jaguars ($4.35 million): He has been woefully unproductive since the Jags extended him a few years back. Certainly the poor quarterback play has something to do with it, but with new ownership and a new management team in place, Lewis' future is in doubt.

Jacoby Jones, Ravens ($3 million): He was a special-teams star all season and a star on offense in the postseason. Again, the Ravens are in a cap bind and have a slew of free agents, but I have to think they find a way to keep him around. He was a major factor in a series of vital victories last season.

Running Back

Michael Turner, Falcons ($5.5 million): He is slowing down and this team will be looking for new ways to get deeper into the postseason. Could be a financial recalibration in order with teams wary to pay big bucks to older running backs these days.

De'Angelo Williams, Panthers ($4.75 million): Carolina is paying too many running backs and Williams has slipped in recent years. The cap hit would be significant, although it could be spread out over multiple years. Exploring a trade would make the most sense.

Kicker

David Akers, 49ers ($3 million): It would be shocking if he is back after such a shaky season and with expectations so high for the 49ers. Nearly lost his job in the postseason.

Defensive Line

Tyson Jackson, Chiefs ($14.72 million): He has been another recent defensive line draft bust for this team and his deal was restructured to force a conclusion in 2013. That conclusion will be his departure.

Will Smith, Saints ($9 million plus $1 million roster bonus): The Saints still badly need pass rushing help, but not at this price. After all he has been through in New Orleans -- StarCaps and BountyGate -- he may want to finish his career with the Saints, but it won't be at this price.

Chris Canty, Giants ($6.25 million): He makes another $250,000 in workout bonuses and he has durability issues in the past. The Giants' defensive line is coming off a poor season and there will be changes coming.

Ryan Pickett, Packers ($5.4 million): He has been one of the most underrated tackles in the league but now has over 11 years in the league. With B.J. Raji and Clay Matthews among those who need to get paid by the Packers, and with this such a small-market team, exploring a restructuring here makes sense.

Jay Ratliff, Cowboys ($5 million): His offseason DUI -- a particular problem in Dallas recently -- and a scheme shift on defense could lead to a change here. Ratliff has not been as productive in the past few years.

Linebacker

Bart Scott, Jets ($6.9 million base/$8.7 million cap hit): The Jets have a cap mess and there aren't too many deals they can drop to create space. This is one, and sources said Scott won't be back at this price.

James Harrison, Steelers ($6.6 million): It wasn't that long ago that he was a defensive MVP, but age and injury have slowed him. The Steelers are paying other, younger linebackers big bucks and sources said the Steelers do not expect to bring him back at this salary. Many doubt Harrison would take a cut to stay without at least exploring outside options.

Calvin Pace, Jets ($5.8 million base/$11.6 cap): He too will be released, sources said, although the Jets will make a strong effort to re-sign him at a lower rate.

Rolando McClain, Raiders ($4 million): He has been nothing but trouble off field, was basically sent home for the final quarter of last season and I would expect the Raiders to look to recoup some signing bonus as well when they officially part with him.

Defensive Back

Champ Bailey, Broncos ($9 million plus $1 million roster bonus): Bailey had a brutal time of it in the postseason, the Broncos have emerging young corners and owner Pat Bowlen has had them operating on a tight budget.

Charles Woodson, Packers ($8.5 million plus $2.5 million roster bonus) : Another one of the great corners of his generation, but injuries have limited him, he is getting older, and the Packers often have to take a hard-line stance given their financial limitations.

Dunta Robinson, Falcons ($8 million): Was signed to be an elite corner a few years back in free agency but has been outshined by others. The Falcons have needs to fill and their cap situation will only get tighter when Matt Ryan gets paid.

Eric Wright, Buccaneers ($7.7 million): After a breakthrough 2011 in Detroit, Wright struggled on and off the field in 2012. Tampa Bay badly needs help at corner, but given his recent struggles I have a hard time seeing him back at this steep a price.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts - 02/06/13 11:32 PM
Quote:

Tyson Jackson, Chiefs ($14.72 million): He has been another recent defensive line draft bust for this team and his deal was restructured to force a conclusion in 2013. That conclusion will be his departure.

Wasn't this guy supposed to be one of the safest picks in his draft class? What happened to him? Is he at least league average?

I would definitely look at Jackson if the price was right. He has started 46 games as a defensive end in a 3-4.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts - 02/07/13 02:37 AM
Other than Weeden and drafting a QB (yuck this year), what other legitimate options do we have in FA?

I see Vick, Cassel, Hasselbeck, Alex Smith (not a fit in this system IMO).

Are there any other viable options?
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Cuts - 02/07/13 03:05 AM
Matt Moore is very intriguing.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Cuts - 02/07/13 03:18 AM
Derek Anderson
Posted By: Kingcob Re: Cuts - 02/07/13 03:34 AM
Matt Moore and DA are my reasonable choices.

I could see Moore starting if Weeden crashes and burns. DA I figure would be a backup no matter what.
Posted By: vadawgfan07 Re: Cuts - 02/07/13 12:34 PM
I heard on the radio this morning that Ed Reed may be a cap casualty. If I am the Browns FO I think I at least investigate that possibility.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Cuts - 02/07/13 01:17 PM
Reed is also a free agent.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Cuts - 02/07/13 01:30 PM
Wow, so the Ravens are at risk to lose Boldin/Jacoby Jones or both? I didn't know that... I don't see them letting Boldin go.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Cuts - 02/07/13 01:32 PM
Quote:

Wow, so the Ravens are at risk to lose Boldin/Jacoby Jones or both? I didn't know that... I don't see them letting Boldin go.

And Reed

There was a report I heard on radio the other day about Boldin, the reporter made it feel as if they'll find a way to keep him..
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Cuts - 02/07/13 01:35 PM
Quote:

Quote:

And Reed

There was a report I heard on radio the other day about Boldin, the reporter made it feel as if they'll find a way to keep him..

Wonder what it feels like to have so many good players that you have to figure out how to pay them all.... we can always dream.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Cuts - 02/07/13 01:50 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And Reed

Wonder what it feels like to have so many good players that you have to figure out how to pay them all.... we can always dream.

Some would complain about it..LOL
Posted By: jeepnstein Re: Cuts - 02/07/13 02:30 PM
Quote:

Derek Anderson

Just shoot me now.

I don't see much in the way of help at QB so far on the horizon. We could do a lot worse than Weeden, and we have in the past. It might be a year to add some pieces to the defense and start shopping for that final piece of the offensive puzzle the year after.

Chudzinski has done good work with a lot less than we have on offense right now. The defensive rebuild, if it is one, has me more concerned.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts - 02/07/13 02:37 PM
If I were the Browns, I would do anything possible to sign a decent FA at QB and let him and Weeden battle it out this offseason.

See how things go next year (hopefully Weeden has progressed enough to feel comfortable). If that isn't the case and we are still unsure, THEN we draft a QB in the top of the 1st round (trade whatever necessary. Next year's QB class will be very good; it's worth the risk at that point with a much fuller roster of talent.)
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Cuts - 02/07/13 02:41 PM
Quote:

If I were the Browns, I would do anything possible to sign a decent FA at QB and let him and Weeden battle it out this offseason.

See how things go next year (hopefully Weeden has progressed enough to feel comfortable). If that isn't the case and we are still unsure, THEN we draft a QB in the top of the 1st round (trade whatever necessary. Next year's QB class will be very good; it's worth the risk at that point with a much fuller roster of talent.)

I think that is where Matt Moore would fit in well. It's fair competition, but wouldn't make the media go nuts. He would also be a good in-between if Weeden fails and you end up looking for someone in 2014.

He's a pretty solid backup too. I'd rather go with him than Colt McCoy. I've seen enough of him.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts - 02/07/13 03:12 PM
Admittedly I know very little of Matt Moore. Is he a vertical offense type of player? I know he's a little bit on the small side (I believe?)
Posted By: OverToad Re: Cuts - 02/07/13 03:18 PM
Poor mans Brett Favre. Can move a little and make plays on the run. Will fit the ball into tight places, though sometimes even if there isn't an opening. Not the headiest of QB's and gambles a little too often. Solid enough arm.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts - 02/07/13 03:19 PM
Luckily we're very poor.
Posted By: OverToad Re: Cuts - 02/07/13 03:21 PM
Hey...maybe that's the answer. If we're so poor, maybe we can lure Brett Favre out of retirement!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts - 02/07/13 03:26 PM
haha I'll get the helicopter ready and we can send our faces of the franchise down to talk him into it. Get ready to go Phil and Cribbs ... oh wait
Posted By: OverToad Re: Cuts - 02/07/13 03:37 PM
Quote:

haha I'll get the helicopter ready and we can send our faces of the franchise down to talk him into it. Get ready to go Phil and Cribbs ... oh wait

That's just how low we've been over the last several years. Our "faces of the franchise" were special teamers.
Posted By: Arps Re: Cuts - 02/07/13 03:39 PM
Phil and Brett at least could talk about the old days...leather helmets and such
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Cuts - 02/07/13 04:18 PM
Quote:

Admittedly I know very little of Matt Moore. Is he a vertical offense type of player? I know he's a little bit on the small side (I believe?)

Basically what Toad said. I'll add that he's very streaky. Had a nice run for the second part of the year with Carolina, a few years ago.

He's not a guy that you're thinking past the season with. He's a stop-gap, and a backup QB, but at this point, it's better than Colt McCoy, and if Weeden gets worse, he's a better option than him.

I just like that it would be a very low-key sign, and I think it gives Weeden some wiggle room.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts - 02/07/13 04:30 PM
Is he suited for the vertical offense? Is his arm strength considered above average?

Not being a jerk; I'm purely curious.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Cuts - 02/07/13 05:21 PM
Quote:

Is he suited for the vertical offense? Is his arm strength considered above average?

Not ideal, but I think he would be able to adapt.

If you're looking for the best fit, it might be DA, because of the fact that he's been in his system for some years. I just hope it's not, because I don't like the guy, and we've already seen that movie.

I'm not super high on Moore, he's just the guy I would pick if I had the choice. He might win you a few games, and is a better option than what we have. Although if Weeden blows, maybe you want to bring in the worst option possible to secure yourself the #1 pick and who knows maybe the next big thing at QB is waiting for you. I don't believe in tanking in the NFL but I'm just saying.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts - 02/07/13 05:30 PM
Thanks. Moore is worth a look IMO, but I would avoid DA at all costs. As you said, I've seen his act before and am over it.

From my perspective, I'm 100% fine with giving Weeden one more year under a more conducive system. If it doesn't work out, give me the best QB we can possibly get in the 2014 draft
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Cuts - 02/07/13 05:50 PM
Quote:

Quote:

If you're looking for the best fit, it might be DA, because of the fact that he's been in his system for some years. I just hope it's not, because I don't like the guy, and we've already seen that movie.

I'm not super high on Moore, he's just the guy I would pick if I had the choice. He might win you a few games, and is a better option than what we have. Although if Weeden blows, maybe you want to bring in the worst option possible to secure yourself the #1 pick and who knows maybe the next big thing at QB is waiting for you. I don't believe in tanking in the NFL but I'm just saying.

I'm just guessing here, but if the reason you don't like DA is of a personal nature, it probably has something to do with him saying things that were rather harsh as he was being booted out the door during the holmgren regime change.

He's since apologized for that outburst and I take him at his word that he was just angry about getting the boot.

I'd have to check for sure, but Chud was in Carolina and brought DA with him.

Now, if your dislike for DA is his play, I'll only say this, His two biggest targets had banner years in 2007 but both Winslow and Edwards dropped off a lot the following year. That's the year that Winslow only played 8 games, starting only 4 and Edwards had almost 400+ yards less and half as many receptions and dropped a ton of balls, and he was missing his clutch go to guy in Joe Jurevicius in 2008. That's over 40 receptions and 600 yards missing and nobody really picked up the slack. Let us not forget that Jamal Lewis dropped 300 yards that year as well

So I don't think I"d put the WHOLE thing on DA.

So as a backup, personally I don't have a problem with him. We have receivers that even he can't overthrow now LOL
Posted By: Heldawg Re: Cuts - 02/07/13 06:05 PM
That reminds me.

Can someone in the media bust Chud's chops over that Cincinnati game where he had DA throwing 40 passes in 40 mph+ winds.

That loss which kept us out of the playoffs could be laid at the feet of the coaching staff.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Cuts - 02/07/13 06:19 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm just guessing here, but if the reason you don't like DA is of a personal nature, it probably has something to do with him saying things that were rather harsh as he was being booted out the door during the holmgren regime change.

He's since apologized for that outburst and I take him at his word that he was just angry about getting the boot.

I'd have to check for sure, but Chud was in Carolina and brought DA with him.

Now, if your dislike for DA is his play, I'll only say this, His two biggest targets had banner years in 2007 but both Winslow and Edwards dropped off a lot the following year. That's the year that Winslow only played 8 games, starting only 4 and Edwards had almost 400+ yards less and half as many receptions and dropped a ton of balls, and he was missing his clutch go to guy in Joe Jurevicius in 2008. That's over 40 receptions and 600 yards missing and nobody really picked up the slack. Let us not forget that Jamal Lewis dropped 300 yards that year as well

So I don't think I"d put the WHOLE thing on DA.

So as a backup, personally I don't have a problem with him. We have receivers that even he can't overthrow now LOL

I don't like the guy as a person, and I don't like him as a player.

I got into it with him on Twitter, and he acted like the DB we all think he is. Completely immature and unproffesional.

More than anything, it just seemed like the league figured him out after 2007. Teams were taking away that deep seam (which he threw as good as anyone I have ever seen) and forced him to make short accurate throws.

It wasn't all him. I seem to remember K2 and Braylon dropping perfectly thrown passes in 2008, and it cost us quite a few close games.

If the guy gets brought in, I'll support him because of the colors he wears, but I still think he's a bad QB who shouldn't be on the team. He's not a leader.

Weeden gets the DA tag tossed around a lot, but I think the guy has more qualities. He can make the shorter throws. I don't like that at times, he's indecisive, but I think that is something that can be corrected with coaching. I don't worry about him throwing 100 mph screen passes like DA. I certainly don't think you'll ever catch him laughing it up on the sideline while his team is getting destroyed. I know other players do that, someone said Haden was doing it during the Steeler game, but at QB, you just can't do that. You ever see Tom Brady on the sideline when the Pats are down? Not a happy camper. He's with his coaches, and he's on his players, because they go as he goes.

I normally don't care about that sideline crap, that you hear in sports talk all the time "WELL WE NEED TO HIRE A GUY WHO YELLS ON THE SIDELINE FOR GOSH SAKES!!" but I think at QB, I want a guy who's not laughing it up while his team is losing.
Posted By: BCbrownie Re: Cuts - 02/07/13 07:38 PM
"I got into it with him on Twitter, and he acted like the DB we all think he is. Completely immature and unproffesional."
I'm having a hard time mentally digesting those two sentences.
You have a twitter,get into with someone on this twitter,call the person a doucebag,and then you say he is immature and unprofessional.
Something seems out of place there.
Posted By: Dave Re: Cuts - 02/07/13 08:22 PM
Wait, is DB a douche bag or a dirt bag?
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Cuts - 02/07/13 08:25 PM
lol, does it matter?
Posted By: Dave Re: Cuts - 02/07/13 09:06 PM
It might matter to Indians' 2B, Jason Kipnis ... his nickname is Dirt Bag.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Cuts - 02/11/13 04:00 PM
Quote:

"I got into it with him on Twitter, and he acted like the DB we all think he is. Completely immature and unproffesional."
I'm having a hard time mentally digesting those two sentences.
You have a twitter,get into with someone on this twitter,call the person a doucebag,and then you say he is immature and unprofessional.
Something seems out of place there.

He is a douche bag.

I called him out for being a bad QB who laughs on the sidelines while his team is getting pummeled and he played the "how many TD passes have you thrown" card.

So wait, calling someone a DB automatically makes you immature? Even if it does, I'm not the guy being paid millions of dollars to play a game. The least he can do is act like a professional.

By the way, on twitter, you can communicate pretty much the same way you can via facebook, I wasn't sure if you were confused with that.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Cuts - 02/11/13 04:08 PM
Quote:

I got into it with him on Twitter, and he acted like the DB we all think he is. Completely immature and unproffesional.

I'm not a twitter guy. so pardon me if this is a dumb question but, how can you tell it was actually him or someone else using his name? And when was it,, Back when he was dumped by the browns,, if so, he's since apologized for that outburst and I accept it because I understand he was stunned by the suddeness of it.

As for K2 and BE dropping passes, that was my point. we also didn't have a real running game that year either so.. Everything he had going for him just up and went away in 2008.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Cuts - 02/11/13 04:17 PM
Quote:

Quote:

I'm not a twitter guy. so pardon me if this is a dumb question but, how can you tell it was actually him or someone else using his name? And when was it,, Back when he was dumped by the browns,, if so, he's since apologized for that outburst and I accept it because I understand he was stunned by the suddeness of it.

As for K2 and BE dropping passes, that was my point. we also didn't have a real running game that year either so.. Everything he had going for him just up and went away in 2008.

He quit twitter right after that. I assume it was him, because he was followed by a few NFL players. I can't remember if the account was verified or not (Twitter has a process where they are able to investigate celebrity accounts, and if they can back up that it's actually them, you will see a blue check mark next to their handle when you view their page.)

I'm pretty sure it was him. It most definitely wasn't a parody account.

A few people here follow me and saw the back and forth.

Besides that whole thing, I just didn't like the way he responded in 2008. He was horrible. I was also at the game where he got hurt and allegedly everyone cheered. For one, the weather that day was awful (it was in the 30's and raining sideways) and half the stadium was empty when it happened.

I think he's a one trick pony who got figured out quickly. My proof to that is what has he done since he left? Not much of anything. It was more him than it was us. Not to say we have our own issues, but even then, if we're bringing in DA, we know what kind of results we are going to get. The same if we throw Colt McCoy, Brady Quinn, or any of these other scrubs out there. Weeden can be in that group just as much, but he at least deserves this next year to proof otherwise.

I just don't see the upside to bringing in DA. He's not a QB who is going to take you to the playoffs.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Cuts - 02/11/13 06:20 PM
DA has gotten into twitter wars:

AZ's radio station: http://arizonasports.com/66/1421675/Derek-Anderson-is-as-bad-on-Twitter-as-he-was-under-center

WFNY confirmed the Derek Anderson twitter feuds when he was with the Browns, but those links are not allowed here, so I won't post them.
Posted By: Arps Re: Cuts - 02/11/13 06:55 PM
Quote:

DA has gotten into twitter wars:

AZ's radio station: http://arizonasports.com/66/1421675/Derek-Anderson-is-as-bad-on-Twitter-as-he-was-under-center

WFNY confirmed the Derek Anderson twitter feuds when he was with the Browns, but those links are not allowed here, so I won't post them.

haha thats funny...oh wait, no its not. Nothing is funny.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Cuts - 02/11/13 07:00 PM
You are pretty sure but you aren't sure but you think so but it might not have been really him...

Do I have that right

Doesn't sound like a good reason to dislike the guy to me.

Now you know why you will never see me on twitter...
Posted By: OverToad Re: Cuts - 02/11/13 07:10 PM
I think it's important to understand what the organization intends when it says they are going to bring someone to compete with Weeden.

If Anderson is brought here, does anyone really think he's good enough to "push" Weeds?

Anderson may possibly fall into the Mentor role, but he's not anyone that is going to ever compete for a starters role again. He had part of a season of glory in the sun, but has been a huge failure ever since.

The QB who is going to compete with Weeds still has to be viewed as having some upside. Now the flipside of that statement makes people take the FO's words at face value. Are we to hold them at their word? Do they honestly intend on making an honest competition, or is the situation similar to McCoy's, where he was told he's going to have the chance to "compete" with Weeden, knowing full-well that there never was going to be any competition.

If Anderson is brought here it's as a pure backup, not as competition. Frankly, that's one ghost that needs to be left in the past.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts - 02/11/13 08:08 PM
Do we really know if Weeden is better than Anderson?

I don't think we do. The point of a competition is to find out who is better, right now we don't know who is better Brandon Weeden or Derek Anderson.

With that said, I do not want to bring back Derek Anderson in any role. He was horrific in his last season with us and was merely terrible in his season with the Cardinals. (It kind of stinks that we don't know if our 1st round QB is better than Derek Anderson).
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Cuts - 02/11/13 08:11 PM
"no" to Derek Anderson from me. I can't envision a realistic scenario where bringing him back is good for the team. Unless it results in us drafting high enough to get Tajh Boyd or Teddy Bridgewater (not necessarily in that order.)
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Cuts - 02/11/13 08:38 PM
http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2013/02/eagles_re-sign_michael_vick_wh.html

Quote:

The Bills, meanwhile, released linebacker Nick Barnett and safety George Wilson, a team captain.

Tim Graham, who covers the Bills for the Buffalo news, floated the idea that a pair of Jets could be on the way to fill the void.

Bart Scott played weak side linebacker just like Barnett and is obviously close with the Bills new defensive coordinator, Mike Pettine. Pettine also knows LaRon Landry and Yeremiah Bell – both impending free agents – pretty well, too.

Posted By: Jester Re: Cuts - 02/11/13 09:24 PM
Is DA the kind of guy we want mentoring anybody about anything?
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Cuts - 02/12/13 02:58 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000...ace-jason-smith

Quote:

The first order of business for the New York Jets this offseason is getting out from under the weight of their substantially bloated salary-cap mess.

Offseason Forecast: New York Jets
With the offseason under way, Around The League examines what's next for all 32 teams. Dan Hanzus tackles the Jets. More ...
Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports the Jets plan to cut linebackers Bart Scott and Calvin Pace and offensive lineman Jason Smith in the near future. Releasing that trio would clear the team of $27.7 million off the books and drop the Jets into the black.

The notion of dumping Scott comes as no surprise, even to Scott. The 32-year-old linebacker is scheduled to earn $6.9 million in base salary in 2013 and $7.75 million in 2014. After a down season marred by a painful toe injury, the veteran knows he's on borrowed time in Gotham.

"It's part of the business," Scott told Newsday on Wednesday. "If you've been in the business long enough, I mean -- C'mon. Jerry Rice and Joe Montana got cut. If they can get cut, with what they meant to their organization, who can't?"

Pace -- also 32 years young -- hasn't been a productive pass rusher in ages. Smith, acquired in the Wayne Hunter trade, was never more than a patch. Mehta tweeted that DeMario Davis will replace Scott and start opposite David Harris at inside linebacker next season. Our promise to you: That won't be the end of the changes in New York.

Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Cuts - 02/12/13 03:21 PM
neither Scott nor Pace is great at this point in their careers, but we need depth at OLB and either would be welcome.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Cuts - 02/12/13 03:24 PM
Scott isnt an OLB.

Pace should of retired 2 years ago.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Cuts - 02/12/13 03:31 PM
baltimore used to move him around, but you are right that he was an ILB with the Jets, my fault.

Pace isn't what he was, but we need depth badly. we need it cheap and on a short contract so we can replace it with youth in the future.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts - 02/12/13 10:09 PM
It looks like James Harrison is going to get cut.

Link

Even though I know everyone hates this guy, I have to ask -- do you want him?
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Cuts - 02/12/13 10:16 PM
no. he's not even good at playing dirty anymore.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Cuts - 02/12/13 11:02 PM
Quote:

lol, does it matter?

Sure it matters. I am a DOM....I'd rather be a douche bag.

Just saying.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts - 02/15/13 04:55 PM
The Packers cut Charles Woodson.

Link
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Cuts - 02/15/13 05:19 PM
Quote:

The Packers cut Charles Woodson.

Link

Posted By: CalDawg Re: Cuts - 02/15/13 06:52 PM
I'd take him on a one year contract in a heartbeat. He knows the system, and he'd be a great veteran presence in the LR.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts - 02/19/13 08:28 PM
The Jets cut a bunch of guys today.

Calvin Pace, Bart Scott, Eric Smith, Jason Smith, and Josh Baker.

Link
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Cuts - 02/20/13 12:07 AM
Chiefs cut Steve Breaston & Kevin Boss.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Cuts - 02/20/13 02:33 AM
I'd sign Boss right now.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Cuts - 02/20/13 02:53 AM
Quote:

I'd sign Boss right now.

With his concussion history and being 29 ? big risk
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Cuts - 02/20/13 03:43 AM
http://cornerblitz.com/2013/Features/Potential-Cap-Cuts.aspx

2013 Potential Cap Cuts

Who may be getting the axe this offseason?

Every year many players get the axe due either to salary cap restrictions or their performance just not measuring up to the coin they're set to draw. Today, the New York Jets hacked off some major salary chunks, setting free Jason Smith (+12 Million cap gain,) Calvin Pace (+8.5 MM gain,) Bart Scott (+7 MM gain,) and Eric Smith (+3 MM gain.) This bloodletting of underperforming (and on the Jets, who didn't underperform?) players brought their 2013 cap number from a league-high $144 MM to close to league-median $114 million, about $7 MM under the generally-accepted estimated 2013 salary cap. There have been rumors this week, however, that the cap number may be somewhat higher than that.

That brings us to the team with the next-highest 2013 cap committment, America's Team, the Dallas Cowboys. The Cowboys are currently saddled with a 139.8 MM cap number. Just do what the Jets did, and cut the dead weight, right? It's not as easy as that. Thanks to the absolutely wonderful web site spotrac.com, we can see the savings (or cost) towards the cap of cutting each player in the NFL. The problem the Cowboys face is, who in the heck can they cut?

Let's look at the players in the 75th percentile of the Cowboys' cap number and the cost/benefit of their release:

Code:

Player Pos Cap Cost Dead Money Cut Benefit
Tony Romo QB $16.8MM $13.5MM +$3.3MM
Brandon Carr CB $16.3MM $22.3MM -$6.0MM
Demarcus Ware DE $12.2MM $10.7MM +$1.5MM
Doug Free OT $10.2MM $10.2MM $0.0MM
Miles Austin WR $8.3MM $4.7MM +$3.6MM
Jason Witten TE $8.0MM $7.5MM +$0.5MM
Jay Ratliff DT $7.0MM $10.0MM -$3.0MM
Dan Connor LB $4.3MM $1.3MM +$3.0MM
Gerald Sensabaugh S $3.8MM $2.4MM +$1.4MM
Orlando Scandrick CB $3.8MM $6.5MM -$2.7MM
Morris Claiborne CB $3.7MM $13.3MM -$9.6MM
Tyron Smith OT $3.4MM $7.4MM -$4.0MM

As you can see, the Cowboys don't have very many places they can cut players and actually save money. In fact, if they cut their entire roster today, they would be at a cap number of $136.9 MM. Put another way, they would have no players under contract and be more than $15 MM over the projected salary cap number of $121 MM.

If the Cowboys cut every single player for which they have a net cap gain, they would still have a cap number of roughly $106MM and an 11-man roster consisting fully of Brandon Carr, Doug Free, Jay Ratliff, Orlando Scandrick, Morris Claiborne, Tyron Smith, Dez Bryant, Nate Livings, Kyle Orton, Barry Church, and Sean Lissemore. Put another way, the Cowboys are in a heap of trouble. It will be interesting to see just how much higher the rumored salary cap will be.

One wrinkle in the cap situation this year is that teams will be required to spend at least 88% of the cap, which works out to $106.5 MM if the cap is set to $121 MM. That means typically thrifty teams like the Bengals, Jags, Browns, and Bucs have to pony up some dough before it's all said and done. That can be done through retaining overpaid players, giving contract extensions to their own good young talent, or paying out big bucks in free agency.

Here are the cap numbers for the rest of the teams and players who could be facing the chopping block (or very heavy restructuring), whether because their team is strapped for cash or they are due far too much more than they are worth. All numbers are taken from spotrac.com as CAP FIGURE minus DEAD MONEY.

Dallas Cowboys (Cap Number $139.8 MM):
•WR Miles Austin +$3.6 MM
•QB Tony Romo +$3.3 MM
•LB Dan Connor +$3.0 MM
•5T Jason Hatcher +$2.0 MM
•S Gerald Sensabaugh +$1.4 MM
•FB Lawrence Vickers +$1.2 MM

New Orleans Saints (Cap Number $136.7 MM):
•DE Will Smith +$7.8 MM
•LB Jonathan Vilma +$6.0 MM
•RB Pierre Thomas +$2.5 MM

Pittsburgh Steelers (Cap Number $133.5 MM):
•OLB James Harrison +$5.1 MM
•TE Heath Miller +$3.2 MM
•CB Ike Taylor +$2.5 MM

Carolina Panthers (Cap Number $127.1 MM):
•CB Chris Gamble +$11.0 MM
•LB Jon Beason +$9.5 MM
•RB Deangelo Williams +$8.2 MM
•LB James Anderson +$4.4 MM
•S Charles Godfrey +$3.7 MM

Washington Redskins (Cap Number $124.9 MM):
•CB Deangelo Hall +$8.0 MM
•WR Santana Moss +$4.5 MM
•DE Adam Carriker +$4.0 MM
•CB Josh Wilson +$4.0 MM
•LB London Fletcher +$3.5 MM

San Francisco 49ers (Cap Number $124.1 MM):
•QB Alex Smith +$8.75 MM
•WR Mario Manningham +$4.0 MM

St. Louis Rams (Cap Number $123.9 MM):
•OT Wayne Hunter +$4.0 MM
•OG Harvey Dahl +$4.0 MM
•S Quintin Mikell +$3.0 MM
•RB Steven Jackson has a player option, not sure how that factors in.

Arizona Cardinals (Cap Number $123.5 MM):
•QB Kevin Kolb +$7.5 MM
•S Kerry Rhodes +$6.0 MM
•LB Stewart Bradley +$3.5 MM

Oakland Raiders (Cap Number $122.4 MM):
•S Tyvon Branch +$6.7 MM
•QB Carson Palmer +$6.0 MM
•DT Tommy Kelly +$4.8 MM

Detroit Lions (Cap Number $119.3 MM):
•QB Shaun Hill +$2.75 MM
•TE Tony Scheffler +$2.5 MM
•WR Nate Burleson +$2.5 MM

Atlanta Falcons (Cap Number $116.7 MM):
•RB Michael Turner +$6.9 MM
•DT Jonathan Babineaux +$4.7 MM

New York Giants (Cap Number $116.7 MM):
•CB Corey Webster +$7.25 MM
•OL David Diehl +$4.75 MM (unlikely, though)

San Diego Chargers (Cap Number $115.2 MM):
•DT Antonio Garay +$5.0 MM
•LB Takeo Spikes +$3.0 MM

New York Jets (Cap Number $114.7 MM):
Jets appear to have finished their housecleaning.

Houston Texans (Cap Number $114.7 MM):
No clear targets for the Texans, either.

Chicago Bears (Cap Number $110.8 MM):
•WR Earl Bennett +$2.4 MM

Baltimore Ravens (Cap Number $108.5 MM):
•WR Anquan Boldin +$6.0 MM
•LB Ray Lewis retires +$4.3 MM
•WR Jacoby Jones +$4.0 MM
•FB Vontae Leach +3.0 MM

Minnesota Vikings (Cap Number $108.0 MM):
•WR Michael Jenkins +$3.0 MM

Kansas City Chiefs (Cap Number $106.5 MM):
•5T Tyson Jackson +$15.0 MM
•QB Matt Cassell +$6.0 MM

Seattle Seahawks (Cap Number $106.1 MM):
•WR Sidney Rice +$6.0 MM

Denver Broncos (Cap Number $105.2 MM):
•CB Champ Bailey +$10.5 MM reports that DEN will not cut Bailey

New England Patriots (Cap Number $104.1 MM):
No clear targets for release

Buffalo Bills (Cap Number $102.8 MM):
•DE Chris Kelsay +$4.2 MM
•WR Brad Smith +$2.75 MM

Tennessee Titans (Cap Number $102.5 MM):
•QB Matt Hasselbeck +$6.0 MM

Green Bay Packers (Cap Number $102.4 MM):
•TE Jermichael Finley +$8.0 MM
•5T Ryan Pickett +$6.2 MM
•WR James Jones +$3.25 MM if retain FA Greg Jennings
•LB Desmond Bishop +$3.1 MM

Philadelphia Eagles (Cap Number $101.3 MM):
•CB Nnamdi Asomugha Jackson +$11.0 MM
•OT Jason Peters +$10.5 MM already cut Bell, so not likely, but coming off injury

Jacksonville Jaguars (Cap Number $95.7 MM):
No clear salary-related cut targets

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Cap Number $90.4 MM):
•CB Eric Wright +$7.75 MM

Miami Dolphins (Cap Number $77.7 MM):
No salary cuts anticipated

Indianapolis Colts (Cap Number $76.1 MM):

Cleveland Browns (Cap Number $74.4 MM):
•QB Colt McCoy +$2.3 MM

Cincinnati Bengals (Cap Number $65.6 MM):

How the salary cap situation plays out will be a very interesting topic to watch, especially with the league's two most-popular teams up against arguably the two worst cap situations. Teams have until March 12th to comply with the cap deadline put in place.

For updates on new content, follow us @cornerblitzcom
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Cuts - 02/20/13 03:52 AM
How the heck are the Bengals going to almost double their current cap number?!
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Cuts - 02/20/13 10:46 AM
That's a lot easier to do then what the Cowboys face.

Maybe someone knows...what happens to a team if they don't comply with the cap numbers....both high and low??
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Cuts - 02/20/13 12:10 PM
Wow, if they cut their entire roster they would still be over the cap? That is some awesome cap management there.
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Cuts - 02/22/13 03:31 PM
Falcons will cut Michael Turner.

Nnamdi A. can take pay cut or be cut.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Cuts - 02/22/13 03:33 PM
Quote:

Falcons will cut Michael Turner.

Nnamdi A. can take pay cut or be cut.

Told you.

Not that it took a crystal ball.
Posted By: DjangoBrown Re: Cuts - 02/22/13 03:37 PM
Didn't Banner sign Nnamdi in Philly? Just saying...
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Cuts - 02/22/13 03:43 PM
Quote:

Didn't Banner sign Nnamdi in Philly? Just saying...

Man, that would make the first pick a lot easier.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Cuts - 02/22/13 06:12 PM
Sign Nnamdi, Trade for Kerry Rhodes, Sign Ellerbee, Sign Flacco, Draft Moore...
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Cuts - 02/22/13 06:33 PM
Quote:

Sign Nnamdi, Trade for Kerry Rhodes, Sign Ellerbee, Sign Flacco, Draft Moore...

and my screen name would finally have a purpose
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts - 02/22/13 06:38 PM
If we sign Flacco we have no first round pick.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Cuts - 02/22/13 10:57 PM
Quote:

Good point...

Fine, Sign Nnamdi, Flacco, and BOTH Ravens LBers and trade for Rhodes
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Cuts - 02/22/13 11:06 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Good point...

if we sign Keenan Lewis (because he is good and it'd screw over Pitt), then we could move Nnamdi to FS and let him just wreak havoc back there.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Cuts - 02/22/13 11:08 PM
I thought Nnamdi struggled in Philly cause they kept moving him around, putting him in the slot etc.

He always had the sideline to work with in Oakland, the same sideline, he didn't follow #1s around all the time...

I've always found him to be a bit over rated because of it... I don't know how hill translate to FS...
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts - 02/22/13 11:09 PM
The Eagles also put him in a zone a lot when he is best in man.

Maybe hiring the offensive line coach as defensive coordinator wasn't a good idea.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Cuts - 02/22/13 11:11 PM
i actually think Haden would be better FS. he's a good tackler (last line of defense), he seems to get a good read on the balls in the air, and he likes to play off WRs as it is (baiting).

i just didn't want to say it initially as it seems crazy to move him this early in his career.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Cuts - 02/22/13 11:16 PM
There are guys like Antrel Rolle who made the switch early enough and are valued at the position...

I could see Haden playing centerfield in certain formations, but a full switch is likely, guys (like Rolle) usually only make the switch because they struggled at CB, or late in their career (Woodson) when they lose a step..
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Cuts - 02/22/13 11:22 PM
The Eagles fired Juan Castillo during the bye, and they had given up 16, 23, 27, 17, 16, and 26 points to that point in the season.

They then played the next 2 games, and allowed 30 and 28, and fired their DL coach.

The rest of the way they allowed 38, 31, 30, 38, 21, 34, 27, and 42. I guess by then they ran out of people to fire on defense.

I'd say that their DC wasn't their biggest problem. Gotta love it when a team scores 17, 24, 6, 19, 14, and 23 ...... and fires their DC. That tells you that they have an offensive minded head coach ...... and that he's on the ropes. (which, of course, was the case)
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts - 02/23/13 12:17 AM
So you're saying Castillo was a good hire?
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Cuts - 02/23/13 03:07 AM
I'm saying that he was the scapegoat.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts - 02/23/13 03:12 AM
He was the scapegoat and he was also awful.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Cuts - 02/23/13 12:43 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Good point...

That makes Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder look like Tom Heckert.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Cuts - 02/23/13 02:22 PM
Maybe the Nnamdi part... But rarely did Snyder types spend money on players in their prime..

Usually Snyder went after old names.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Cuts - 02/23/13 07:20 PM
My point is how many teams do we know of that won it all via free agent spending spree?
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Cuts - 02/23/13 09:20 PM
Yeah, I don't think free for all free agent spending is the answer at all.

To me, signing a guy like we did back when we signed Orpheus Roye is the the we should be looking at. He was a younger player, who was emerging and coming into his own. We signed him at 27, and he was an effective player for us until he hit 34 or so ...... even though we kept changing defenses.

Another guy who was an excellent free agent signing was Jamal Lewis. He was an excellent piece that could be plugged in and he just fit from day 1. He was 28, which is a little old for a RB, but we got 2 really high quality years out of him, plus part of a 3rd.

Ben Watson is yet another quality free agent signing that worked out well for us, as was Jamir Miller.

None of these guys were the top player on the market in the years we signed them ..... but they were all very good players for us in their time here. They were carefully considered for their degree of fit with the rest of the team. I think that's the key. Many teams use free agency to fill some holes so they can use the draft to get the best possible player regardless of position.The key is to not go so far overboard that you cannot sustain the team you are trying to build. I remember the 2001 Patriots using free agency to a great degree, but they filled holes carefully, instead f giving out mega-contracts left and right. I think that is the key, if you are going to use free agency ...... to use it as a scalpel, not as a hammer.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Cuts - 02/23/13 10:38 PM
I've always thought that you build your base/foundation from the Draft and fill in with FA's and the occasional trade.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Cuts - 02/23/13 11:42 PM
To an extent that's true, but if you draft for need, rather than trying to find the best players, you wind up with a team filled with 2nd rate players, because you can wind up passing over better players in order to fill holes.

Fill holes with specific free agents and then you go into the draft able to concentrate on finding the best possible players. That's my preference.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Cuts - 02/24/13 12:39 AM
Quote:

To an extent that's true, but if you draft for need, rather than trying to find the best players, you wind up with a team filled with 2nd rate players, because you can wind up passing over better players in order to fill holes.

Fill holes with specific free agents and then you go into the draft able to concentrate on finding the best possible players. That's my preference.

I guess that might be the disconnect between us, I don't equate building your foundation as drafting for need.. I think if you get enough "best in position" players, you will eventually have a very solid well built foundation to which you can add a piece and part.

Kinda like the Ravens added Bolden or how we added Roye or Watson. either of those two guys come along at the right time, it's a whole different history of this team.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Cuts - 02/24/13 05:13 AM
If you find greatest talent in the draft type players, though, you can win championships.

Great players always find the field, regardless of who is playing ahead of them.

If you were drafting a few years ago ...... and you really needed a WR for this team ...... (which we did) but you had the opportunity to grab a truly great player at another position ..... which would be the right move? Would you want the top ranked player at another spot ..... or the best WR, who might be the 10th best player in the draft?

It would be like the speculation that the Chefs might go QB with the 1st overall pick. They are desperate at the position, but there is no QB worth the 1st overall pick this year .... even with the premium given the position. Do they force the pick, or do they take a great player elsewhere?
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Cuts - 02/24/13 01:02 PM
Quote:

It would be like the speculation that the Chefs might go QB with the 1st overall pick. They are desperate at the position, but there is no QB worth the 1st overall pick this year .... even with the premium given the position. Do they force the pick, or do they take a great player elsewhere?

With Albert ready to walk in free agency, the Chiefs need a LT and they're in the position to draft the best one in the draft. They'll draft Luke Joeckel and smile as they're doing it. It would not surprise me to find KC going out and picking up a QB in free agency or via trade and not drafting one at all. They may simply go a year with whatever they can put together to compete for the job this year and look to getting a QB next year.

Edit to add additional content

Just went and found this at Fox Sports.

Report: Chiefs pursuing Nick Foles

I know, the Eagles are in no hurry to trade Foles (at this time) and may not do so at all, but it adds to my view that the Chiefs are looking outside of the draft for their QB.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Cuts - 02/24/13 03:21 PM
If they're smart, they'll keep Quinn as their QB, bomb this year, and secure the #1...

Which they could trade and STILL pick up a solid QB next year most likely...
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Cuts - 02/24/13 05:15 PM
Quote:

If they're smart, they'll keep Quinn as their QB, bomb this year, and secure the #1...

Remembering how some wanted us to do that to get Barkley. If we had, This may have been the draft to trade the number one pick.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Cuts - 02/24/13 07:52 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Remembering how some wanted us to do that to get Barkley. If we had, This may have been the draft to trade the number one pick.

That was when people thought Barkley was good... Dude lost a lot of money (even in the new CBA) by staying another year...
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Cuts - 02/24/13 07:56 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That was when people thought Barkley was good... Dude lost a lot of money (even in the new CBA) by staying another year...

When some people thought he was good.

My nickname for him last year was "Barely". This year it dowsn't even matter, because he's barely on anyone's radar high in the draft.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Cuts - 02/24/13 08:00 PM
If you ignore the fact that had he come out last year we would of taken him at 4...

And now he's being talked as a 2nd rounder...
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Cuts - 02/24/13 08:04 PM
Quote:

If you ignore the fact that had he come out last year we would of taken him at 4...

And now he's being talked as a 2nd rounder...

I might have had a stroke if we had taken him at 4. I wanted no part of him last year, and I want less part of him this year.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Cuts - 02/24/13 08:05 PM
Quote:

That was when people thought Barkley was good..

Maybe the old regime didn't think so...Picking up Weeden may have been a better thing than what some think. If we needed to draft a QB now we would be like a hockey puck..cold on ice getting slapped around.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Cuts - 02/24/13 08:08 PM
We were ganna trade up for RG3, why would we pass on what (at the time) was considered the next best guy in the draft?

Hell if Barkley had come out, he might of went #2...
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Cuts - 02/24/13 08:22 PM
Quote:

We were ganna trade up for RG3, why would we pass on what (at the time) was considered the next best guy in the draft?

I don't see Barkley going 2nd in last year's draft. He was well behind RG3. He might have edged out Tannehill for 3rd QB taken, but I see almost no chance that he would have gone 2nd.
Posted By: Jester Re: Cuts - 02/24/13 09:32 PM
Like you I am not and never have been a big Barkley fan. However, had he come out last year (and things might have changed with the combine results, pro day workouts etc) he most likely would have been the #2 Qb off the board and we would have been "stuck" with RGII at #4.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Cuts - 02/24/13 10:45 PM
The RG3 hype didn't start until Luck was a #1 lock to Indy, and Barkley decided to stay...
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Cuts - 02/24/13 10:54 PM
First of all, that stuff about Griffin getting no hype before Barkley returning is just not true.

Also, if Barkley had entered the draft, we'd probably have taken griffin at 4. Shanahan gave up what he did because he felt he had no other option. Griffin or Barkley plus two first rounders and a second rounder? I like Griffin a lot, I was very clear about that last year, but I think I would take that second option, especially if we were still in wco like Shanahan primarily runs.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Cuts - 02/24/13 10:57 PM
Quote:

First of all, that stuff about Griffin getting no hype before Barkley returning is just not true.

I didn't mean NO hype... He won the Heisman afterall...

Quote:

Shanahan gave up what he did because he felt he had no other option.

That's my point.. People didn't focus on Griffin until Barkley was gone, and once they did he shot straight up...
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Cuts - 02/24/13 11:21 PM
I disagree. I felt at the time the rgiii hype is why Barkley went back
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Cuts - 02/24/13 11:33 PM
Yep. Barkley didn't want to be the 3rd or 4th QB off the board.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Cuts - 02/24/13 11:57 PM
Quote:

I think this demonstrates why you should never fall so in love with a player that you give up too much for him.

I don't believe that Washington will see true value on RG3,, I mean, yeah yeah he's exciting. He's fun to watch and one helluva QB.. I won't question his heart or skill set and physical ability. What I will question is his durability.

They gave up a boat load of money and lots of pics for him. Too much in my opinion.

Had we done that for Bradford when we had the chance (and people on here were killing Holmgren for not making that happen) we'd have had another kid that may or may not make it.

In recent years, there is really only one QB worth going that far out on a limb for,, Andrew Luck.. That's about it.

Aaron Rogers would have been another one but most folks thought that Alex Smith was far superior.. That didn't exactly turn out as fact.

Every player is a crap shoot.. I think we all know that. So throwing a bunch of picks and money at an unknown. just doesn't make a ton of sense to me, yet I'd have done it for Luck.
Posted By: vadawgfan07 Re: Cuts - 03/01/13 05:55 PM
Abraham, Turner and Dunta Robinson released. Seems Robinson could be an option opposite Hayden for a year or two if we don't or can't go CB in round one this year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/falcons-release-3-key-players-151051062--nfl.html
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts - 03/01/13 06:50 PM
Wasn't Robinson one of the worst corners in the league last year?
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Cuts - 03/06/13 04:13 PM
For 3 minutes the Eagles were reportedly cutting Namdi Asom@#% today
Posted By: Dave Re: Cuts - 03/07/13 02:38 AM
From PFT:

Report: Raiders expected to release Rolando McClain
Posted by Mike Wilkening on March 6, 2013, 9:17 PM EST

The Raiders appear ready to let go of their most recent first-round pick.

According to Vic Tafur of the San Francisco Chronicle, “all indications are” the Raiders will release middle linebacker Rolando McClain on Tuesday, the start of the 2013 league year. Per the Chronicle report, releasing McClain on Tuesday will result in a salary-cap hit of more than $7 million, but the penalty can be taken over two seasons.

Just 23, McClain has started 38 games in three seasons for Oakland. However, he served a two-game team suspension for detrimental conduct, and he has had multiple off-field incidents.

The first linebacker and fifth defensive player taken in the 2010 draft, McClain could get some looks simply on the promise he showed in the not-so-distant past at the University of Alabama. He’s also two seasons removed from a 99-tackle, five-sack season for the Raiders. Nevertheless, if indeed he’s released, it will be an inglorious development for a player drafted after Joe Haden and before C.J. Spiller a little less than three years ago.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Cuts - 03/07/13 02:53 AM
Chiefs Cut RT Eric Winston

When Chiefs right tackle Eric Winston recently lamented the looming departure of quarterback Matt Cassel, we suggested that Winston could still suffer the same fate.

And now he is.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the Chiefs are releasing Winston. He’ll hit the free agent market immediately, a few days before it opens.

Winston was due to earn a base salary of $4.9 million in 2013. He signed with the Chiefs after being cut last year by the Texans.

Because he received an $8.4 million signing bonus, the acceleration results in a $6.3 million cap charge. That’s still $700,000 lower than it would have been if Winston had stayed — and also $4.9 million cheaper.

With an $8.4 million signing bonus and a $900,000 salary in 2012, Winston earned $9.3 million in one year with the Chiefs.

The move gives the Chiefs the flexibility to take Luke Joeckel with the first pick in the 2013 draft, and then to move Joeckel or Branden Albert to the right side.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/06/chiefs-release-eric-winston/
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Cuts - 03/07/13 03:54 AM
can we finally be done with the "Winston is a solid RT" stories then?

he was terrible for KC, almost beaten out for the job by a nobody, then played terribly.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts - 03/08/13 06:50 PM
Cardinals cut Adrian Wilson (link).

Panthers cut Chris Gamble (cue the Ohio State honks, link).

Jaguars cut Dawan Landry (link ).

Jaguars cut Aaron Ross (link).
Posted By: eotab Re: Cuts - 03/08/13 07:18 PM
Wilson of Zona...I am not sure if anything has happened to him over the last couple of years. Like I'm sure other teams fans with us...Zona wasn't winning much so outside of maybe QB talk n Fitz - didn't learn much of Zona.

But Wilson no too long ago was one of The best Safeties???

For some reason though I don't think he is a FS our major need. Still was this like 5-6 years ago...n its like old age stuff where that seems like yesterday as time flies
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Cuts - 03/08/13 07:54 PM
Steelers about to cut James Harrison?

Chargers cut Atari Bigby
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Cuts - 03/08/13 10:54 PM
Yeah, he was once one of the very best SS in the league ...... but he's slowed down quite a bit, and he would stand no chance at FS.
Posted By: eotab Re: Cuts - 03/08/13 11:28 PM
Too bad...yeah I haven't heard about him much last couple of seasons. Just remember a hilight of last season him making a big time whiff at the wrong time.

yep...FS. I was envisioning Champ Bailey for some reason after the playoff game...like day dreaming presents for the Browns...Woodson was the real dream thing but I don't hear us mentioned. Sheldon Brown? But he seemed to be insulted last year when that came up n he's gone anyways.

CB, FS, 2 DE's, TE, maybe a LB? but need those first 5 I thought more urgently from FA.

JMHO
Posted By: LittleGregBig Re: Cuts - 03/09/13 12:12 AM
Luckily for the Browns all of our huge positions of need are in draft and free agency this year (CB/LB/S/WR/TE).
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Cuts - 03/09/13 01:50 PM
I guess anyone of them are ok if you are looking for a short term answer to fill a hole, but none are long term answers.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Cuts - 03/09/13 05:00 PM
Steelers | James Harrison says he has been released
Sat, 09 Mar 2013 08:53:49 -0800

Pittsburgh Steelers LB James Harrison released a statement via Twitter Saturday, March 9, acknowledging that he has been released. "It's been a great run, but all good things must come to an end. Thank you Steelers Nation. I will miss you all!" Harrison said.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz2N3xF4Fhc
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Cuts - 03/09/13 05:01 PM
Quote:

Pittsburgh Steelers LB James Harrison released a statement via Twitter Saturday, March 9, acknowledging that he has been released. "It's been a great run, but all good things must come to an end. Thank you Steelers Nation. I will miss you all!" Harrison said.

Just saw it on www.nfl.com too.

Also, Ravens inform Boldin to take a pay cut, or be released. Boldin's word's about retirement will seem to get tested:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000...avens-ultimatum
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Cuts - 03/09/13 05:22 PM
Quote:

"Black n Yellow.....Black n Yellow.....Black n Yellow....."
Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown Re: Cuts - 03/09/13 05:27 PM
I honestly think we should take a long look at Harrison....

Say what you want about the guy, but he plays the LB position like the throwback guys of old...AKA Gregg Lloyd, Romanoski....he is a hard nosed player.

He still has a few years of very good play left in him, but more importantlythe guy is a personality....he would instantly bring that Ray Lewis hard-nosed balls to the wall mentality to this D which we lack desperately....the guy is a playmaker...he is a game changer....and he is a terror in the pass rushing game....

I grew to hate Harrison because he is the type of LB I wish we had...he is an Ohio Boy anyways...went to Kent State with Josh Cribbs...both of those guys are very good players at their respective positions...I would take a flier on him for the right price...he is one of the better 3-4 OLB in the league...and he would be a huge upgrade at that position.....imagine if we could somehow get both Kruger and Harrison....oh my....I think you would see the return of NFL Defensive MVP out of JH....
Posted By: Hardcore Re: Cuts - 03/09/13 06:46 PM
I want nothing to do with Harrison, even if I were another team's fan, but especially as a Browns Fan.
Standing on that principle is not a big loss, as this is not the Harrison of 5 years ago.
Posted By: ClayM57 Re: Cuts - 03/09/13 07:29 PM
Cardinals cut Adrian Wilson (link).

Panthers cut Chris Gamble (cue the Ohio State honks, link).

Would definatly take a look at both of these guys if the price was right, Wilson might just come with our new Def. Cordinator being his old coach, Not looking for any long term deal but a desent 2-3 year contract might be worth it, Gamble also has Ohio ties, might be able to improve the secondary.
Posted By: lionchamp29 Re: Cuts - 03/10/13 07:02 PM
`panthers cut chris gamble`

i dont know he seems like a gamble
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Cuts - 03/10/13 07:09 PM
Quote:

`panthers cut chris gamble`

i dont know he seems like a gamble

Really
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Cuts - 03/11/13 04:52 PM
Chris Gamble decides to retire:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000...anthers-release
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Cuts - 03/11/13 04:55 PM
Rams cut Quintin Mikell, a safety whom maybe we should peak at. Be a good 2-year signing, maybe even three years he seems to playing at a high level and has plenty left in the tank.

Suppose he's more a strong safety though, so maybe not:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000...l-avoid-cap-hit
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Cuts - 03/11/13 04:55 PM
Quote:

Chris Gamble decides to retire:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000...anthers-release

I will always remember him as a Graet Buckeye
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Cuts - 03/11/13 07:11 PM
Cowboys cut LB Dan Connor
Posted By: PeteyDangerous Re: Cuts - 03/11/13 07:13 PM
Quote:

Rams cut Quintin Mikell, a safety whom maybe we should peak at. Be a good 2-year signing, maybe even three years he seems to playing at a high level and has plenty left in the tank.

Suppose he's more a strong safety though, so maybe not:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000...l-avoid-cap-hit

I remember wanting him to come in and be our FS when Usama Young joined the team, so I dunno.

I think he's FS
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Cuts - 03/11/13 07:13 PM
Quote:

Cowboys cut LB Dan Connor

Interesting, this kid is simply a football player, I like him, but we will see ...
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Cuts - 03/11/13 08:18 PM
Cardinals cut Beanie Wells
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Cuts - 03/11/13 08:22 PM
Quote:

Cardinals cut Beanie Wells

Talented kid but a headcase for the Cardinals. He never seemed to want to play for them, and always seemed to be hurt.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Cuts - 03/11/13 08:45 PM
Wells always seemed like more of a FB type of rusher to me. He would make a good short yardage specialty back but at what price?
Posted By: brownsfansince79 Re: Cuts - 03/11/13 08:46 PM
Wells is never healthy. A papercut and the kid is out for 2 weeks. Which is too bad because he's talented.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Cuts - 03/11/13 09:44 PM
I agree with the statements said about Beanie. I do hope he finds another team, and gets a chance to prove he can be a reliable back instead injury prone...
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Cuts - 03/11/13 09:50 PM
DeAngelo Hall released by Washington:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000149345/article/deangelo-hall-released-by-washington-redskins
Posted By: Penny Re: Cuts - 03/11/13 10:08 PM
Which was his MO at Ohio st.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Cuts - 03/11/13 10:11 PM
'And the Beat goes on, snap, snap, and the Beat goes on'on"....( I was singing a old Sonny and Sher tune)

Out with the old, in with the new.
Posted By: PeteyDangerous Re: Cuts - 03/11/13 10:36 PM
Quote:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000149345/article/deangelo-hall-released-by-washington-redskins

DeAngelo Hall. Could be worth a look. I just hope Joe Haden and the secondary doesn't look up to him. He's definitely no Sheldon Brown in the locker room. May be if we could get him AND Ed Reed. Then we'd have a top-notch number 2 corner, and I wouldn't be terrified the secondary would be run by a jerk
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Cuts - 03/11/13 10:39 PM
Quote:

Quote:

DeAngelo Hall. Could be worth a look. I just hope Joe Haden and the secondary doesn't look up to him. He's definitely no Sheldon Brown in the locker room. May be if we could get him AND Ed Reed. Then we'd have a top-notch number 2 corner, and I wouldn't be terrified the secondary would be run by a jerk

No Thank You ...
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts - 03/12/13 06:24 PM
Quote:

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported Tuesday that the Texans have cut ties with wide receiver Kevin Walter, a regular starter for the last six seasons in Houston

Link

Walter is a guy I would be very interested in.
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Cuts - 03/12/13 06:29 PM
It would have to be fairly inexpensive. He's no spring chicken...
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Cuts - 03/12/13 06:36 PM
Winfield being cut by vikes also. Local kid but running out of gas.

It's official. He's been released.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Cuts - 03/12/13 06:38 PM
hoo, boy. Things are getting interesting.
Posted By: PeteyDangerous Re: Cuts - 03/12/13 06:39 PM
Quote:

Quote:

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported Tuesday that the Texans have cut ties with wide receiver Kevin Walter, a regular starter for the last six seasons in Houston

Link

Walter is a guy I would be very interested in.

Me too, I dunno if he's gotten old, and I dunno how he played last year;

But he was pretty money a couple years ago when he played us
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Cuts - 03/12/13 06:45 PM
He did fine last season. But he's going on 32...
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts - 03/12/13 07:11 PM
Quote:

Mick Jagger one advised that you can’t always get what you want, but that you can get what you need.

Broncos defensive end Elvis Dumervil might want to fire up that track because it doesn’t look like the Broncos are going to give him what he wants on Tuesday. Dumervil wanted to be released by the Broncos before the start of free agency so that he can start shopping himself to other teams after failing to agree on a lower salary for the 2013 season, but Mike Klis of the Denver Post reports that the team isn’t expected to do anything until they’ve secured Dumervil’s replacement.

Most of the focus on that search has centered on Dwight Freeney, who has gotten a sales pitch from former Colts teammate Peyton Manning about joining up with the Broncos. If that doesn’t work out, Klis mentions players like Michael Bennett, Matt Shaughnessy and Osi Umenyiora as possibilities at defensive end along with holdovers like Robert Ayers and Jason Hunter.

The Broncos will need to move quickly if they want to have Dumervil’s replacement in place before cutting ties. Dumervil’s entire $12 million salary becomes guaranteed on Saturday, although the Broncos’ decision in regard to Dumervil may be different if they can’t land one of their targets.

Link

I would do a Boldin-esque trade with the Broncos to guarantee the services of Dumervil. We could easily absorb his cap hit this year and then renegotiate if we want to keep him although his salary goes down in 2014 and then again in 2015.

Dumervil had 17 sacks as an outside linebacker in the 3-4 in 2009.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Cuts - 03/12/13 07:15 PM
I'm hearing Kruger will be about 11 mil. I'd take Elvis for another mil over Kruger!
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts - 03/12/13 07:16 PM
Same here.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Cuts - 03/12/13 07:17 PM
Quote:

I would do a Boldin-esque trade with the Broncos to guarantee the services of Dumervil. We could easily absorb his cap hit this year and then renegotiate if we want to keep him although his salary goes down in 2014 and then again in 2015.

Dumervil had 17 sacks as an outside linebacker in the 3-4 in 2009.

lol I'd double it and give them both our 6s.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts - 03/12/13 07:19 PM
Right? If they are going to cut him anyway, might as well sneak in there and get him for nothing.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: Cuts - 03/12/13 07:31 PM
Wow, he was reportedly hoping for 7.5-10...11 is a pretty big jump over even those numbers.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Cuts - 03/12/13 07:34 PM
Quote:

Wow, he was reportedly hoping for 7.5-10...11 is a pretty big jump over even those numbers.

I think he was due 7.5
Great run stopper but is 36. Hometown boy from my Alma Mater!

That said, Keenan Lewis would be a great pick up and steal from a rival!
Posted By: eotab Re: Cuts - 03/12/13 07:38 PM
I don't think he was cut...but the guy I want is Talib.
Posted By: eotab Re: Cuts - 03/12/13 07:41 PM
I think Amsowah Eagles CB just got cut.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Cuts - 03/12/13 07:47 PM
He's better than what he has been in Philly.
Posted By: PeteyDangerous Re: Cuts - 03/12/13 07:48 PM
Quote:

If his cost is reasonable, I'm in to bring him on. This guy has something big to prove and he's better than what he was doing with the Eagles the past two years.

He's only 31. I just wonder if what he excelled at with the Raiders fits what Ray Horton's defense wants him to do.

I'd like that guy Kenenan Lewis. That one makes sense. Good player, same defense, sounds like a fit
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Cuts - 03/12/13 07:51 PM
Lewis first. Hands down.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Cuts - 03/12/13 07:52 PM
Asomugha isn't a hitter. Part of Philly's problems were said to be that of DRC, Asomugha, and Asante Samuel (this is two years ago when they signed everyone) nobody wanted to go over the middle/play nickel. That's why they drafted Boykin last year, he's tough.
Posted By: eotab Re: Cuts - 03/12/13 07:55 PM
Schecter just said Leon Washington just got cut from Seattle...rather have Cribbs but I got a feeling 49ers n Seattle will fight for Cribbs
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Cuts - 03/12/13 07:59 PM
Quote:

Here's the link

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000...adelphia-eagles
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts - 03/12/13 08:00 PM
A-S-O-M-U-G-H-A
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Cuts - 03/12/13 08:11 PM
are you cheering for him or teaching spelling?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts - 03/12/13 08:13 PM
I figured that his name will be mentioned a few times, so it won't hurt to remind everyone of the spelling.
Posted By: Frenchy Re: Cuts - 03/12/13 08:23 PM
Ryan Fitzpatrick was just cut by the Bills.
Posted By: eotab Re: Cuts - 03/12/13 08:25 PM
Hey my Grandpa Americanized his name...lol

Fitzgerald of Bills just got cut!
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Cuts - 03/12/13 08:31 PM
Quote:

Schecter just said Leon Washington just got cut from Seattle...rather have Cribbs but I got a feeling 49ers n Seattle will fight for Cribbs

It's being reported Patriots are the frontrunner....we'll see.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts - 03/12/13 08:34 PM
Quote:

Why would Seattle go after Cribbs? The reason they cut Washington was because they just got Harvin.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Cuts - 03/12/13 09:57 PM
Quote:

Hmmm....
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Cuts - 03/12/13 10:01 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Hmmm....

say no to drugs
say no to higher taxes
say no to Fitzpatrick
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Cuts - 03/12/13 10:04 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hmmm....

say no to drugs
say no to higher taxes
say no to Fitzpatrick

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Cuts - 03/12/13 10:15 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hmmm....

say no to drugs
say no to higher taxes
say no to Fitzpatrick

LMAO, but I hear ya though...
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cuts - 03/12/13 10:42 PM
Dolphins are releasing LB Karlos Dansby, who had 134 tackles last season
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cuts - 03/12/13 11:56 PM
Raiders announced that they released: WR Darrius Heyward Bey, S Michael Huff, and DE Dave Tollefson.

link
Posted By: Arps Re: Cuts - 03/12/13 11:59 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Hmmm....

They called him The Amish Rifle on NFL network.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 12:06 AM
That's his nickname.
Posted By: Pepper52 Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 12:10 AM
well if he comes to Cleveland he wont be too far from a free Amish beard trim
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 12:57 AM
Quote:

He would be a high quality backup. Way too much money for the position...
Posted By: DoverDawg Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 01:06 AM
Chris Gamble retires after release by Carolina Panthers
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 01:48 AM
Quote:

Why? You could sign him for league minimum for a player with his 'experience'. You're not liable to pay the contract he had signed with Buffalo.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 02:37 AM
Titans shopping WR Nate Washington:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000...ennessee-titans
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 03:05 AM
Quote:

Raiders announced that they released: WR Darrius Heyward Bey, S Michael Huff, and DE Dave Tollefson.

link

Kinda a little shocked by Heyward-Bey and Huff both.

Actually more shocked by Huff. He's a solid S, and can also play some corner.

Heyward-Bey at a $10 million cap number isn't a huge surprise ....losing both him and Myers will definitely hurt their passing game quite a bit. They had Streeter come on late .... and have Thomas as well ..... but they are losing a pair of big weapons.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 04:46 AM
I like Heyward Bey...watched him against the Steelers tho he got put on a stretcher..Pittsburgh couldn't cover him (has good size track speed still really young) he was raw coming out of Maryland...so I really think his best football is ahead of him...he's a lot better than MoMass..he would serve well with Gordon Little Bey...def can stretch the field against a nickel back or safety...shouldn't be expensive and has a ton of potential...has iffy hands but I've seen him make some tough ones as well..in 2011 I think he was what 30 yards short of a 1000 yards?? Huff is talented as well...I still remember him back at Texas versatile has speed used to have coverage problems but he seemed to come around the past 3 years
Posted By: DFbrowns44 Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 05:19 AM
I think Dansby would be a great pick-up for us. He's played in the 3-4 and played very well. He is 31 but IMO he's a better option then DQ is.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 06:01 AM
Quote:

[Dansby] is 31 but IMO he's a better option then DQ is.

Posted By: DjangoBrown Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 08:25 AM
Dansby would look good next to DQ and Winfield would look good opposite Haden...2 older guys, sure, but these guys can still play at a very high level....same goes for Q.Mikell at S
Posted By: DjangoBrown Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 10:05 AM
Just saw that the Dolphins cut their other 3-4 ILB, Burnett, too...what the hell are they doing? I undestand that by signing Wheeler and Ellerbe they got younger, but Dansby and Burnett were two blocks in their D...one of the best Ds vs the run, btw

Whatever, that's their problem...I'd sign one of Dansby or Burnett and develop JMJ as the no3 ILB
Posted By: DjangoBrown Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 10:33 AM
The more I think about it....we should go after Burnett HARD. He's 30yo and was a very solid 3-4 ILB for 7 seasons up until 2012 when the Dolphins switched to a 4-3. He still started at WOLB and was solid there again, but lacked the pass rushing/coverage ability needed from that spot in the 4-3

Norv knows him, as he started in 2009 and 2010 for him. Where ever he has played his D was strong against the run. His skillset is a much better fit for the 3-4 ILB job: strong tackler, good teammate, high motor player, decent rusher for an ILB....he'd be a great compliment to DQ imho
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 11:07 AM
Quote:

Just saw that the Dolphins cut their other 3-4 ILB, Burnett, too...what the hell are they doing?

I think they are following the Eagles "dream team" blue print
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 02:45 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Just saw that the Dolphins cut their other 3-4 ILB, Burnett, too...what the hell are they doing?

I think they are following the Eagles "dream team" blue print

splashy signs with name recognition - check
let LBers walk - check (though they actually replaced them)
flail about on both lines making questionable moves that don't pan out - TBD
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 04:30 PM
Bernard Pollard (safety) cut by Ravens:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000150319/article/bernard-pollard-released-by-baltimore-ravens
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 04:34 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Why? You could sign him for league minimum for a player with his 'experience'. You're not liable to pay the contract he had signed with Buffalo.

I highly doubt he signs for league minimum. There should be some interest out there for him...
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 04:36 PM
Laurent Robinsion (WR) axed by Jags:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000...onville-jaguars
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 04:37 PM
Steeler's axe Willie Colon (OG):

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000...ol-willie-colon

This one we should perhaps have a peak into... IMO. It just sucks he's had the injury bug, or the demand for him would probably be much greater.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 04:43 PM
Quote:

Steeler's axe Willie Colon (OG)

wait, who is going to guard the bathroom door's for Ben now?
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 04:53 PM
Heh heh

Colon guarding bathroom door...

Heh heh
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 04:53 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Steeler's axe Willie Colon (OG)

wait, who is going to guard the bathroom door's for Ben now?

Haven't you heard they are likely to resign Plaxico?
Posted By: DFbrowns44 Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 08:14 PM
Laugh all you want. But don't you remember how DQ played the last time he was in the 3-4, yea, me either. Dansby may be old but was a very solid player when playing in the 3-4. He also offers some ability to cover TEs, which DQ struggles with. He even played better then DQ did last year. So yes I see him as a better option. Prove me wrong.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 08:18 PM
Quote:

Laugh all you want. But don't you remember how DQ played the last time he was in the 3-4, yea, me either. Dansby may be old but was a very solid player when playing in the 3-4. He also offers some ability to cover TEs, which DQ struggles with. He even played better then DQ did last year. So yes I see him as a better option. Prove me wrong.

He's only 31
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 08:20 PM
I do think Dansby would be a good addition, but I do think it's neccessary again to bring up the fact this will be a much different 3-4 than what we saw from the Belichick cronies.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 08:42 PM
Quote:

I do think Dansby would be a good addition, but I do think it's neccessary again to bring up the fact this will be a much different 3-4 than what we saw from the Belichick cronies.

I think Dansby would complement DQ nicely at ILB. Gocong is the one that would likely be leaving if we sign Karlos. Of course, for a $5mil cap hit, Gocong is not likely to remain anyway (at that number at least).
Posted By: mr45acp Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 08:47 PM
Espn announced that ravens are releasing bernard pollard. I think it would be a great thing for the browns to sign him and put him as starting fs. Would be a great combo with tj.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 09:09 PM
Jackson's bad play in the 3-4 is a myth. One year, under Romeo, he was near the top of the league in tackles for loss.

Jackson is the least of our problems. He is a very good football player.
Posted By: mdbrownie15 Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 09:19 PM
New Here......but I just saw on RotoWorld that K. Rhodes was let go by Arizona.....Would love to see him reunited with Horton!

GO BROWNIES!
Posted By: mr45acp Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 09:25 PM
I agree! DQ is one of the best lbs in the league. Only reason people think he sucks at 3-4 is thats when he had all that trouble tearin his peck muscles.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 09:27 PM
Quote:

New Here......but I just saw on RotoWorld that K. Rhodes was let go by Arizona.....Would love to see him reunited with Horton!

If this is true I think we might have our starting free safety. Horton will at least want to have him. Rhodes loves Horton, in this he talks about Horton at the 2:58 mark.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 09:33 PM
Quote:

Quote:

If this is true I think we might have our starting free safety. Horton will at least want to have him. Rhodes loves Horton, in this he talks about Horton at the 2:58 mark.

Is Rhodes any good,, I confess to not knowing about him at all..
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 09:38 PM
He is at least a league average starting free safety, something we haven't had since Brodney Pool. Maybe even further back then that if you aren't a Pool fan (Brian Russell?)
Posted By: mr45acp Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 09:41 PM
I still think pollard would be a better choice. Better stats and player overall. But either one would be better than what we have now.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 09:44 PM
Quote:

Espn announced that ravens are releasing bernard pollard. I think it would be a great thing for the browns to sign him and put him as starting fs. Would be a great combo with tj.

Yup,, here's the article

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000150319/article/bernard-pollard-released-by-baltimore-ravens
Posted By: DjangoBrown Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 09:46 PM
Pollard is strictly a SS and we have a pretty good one already. Rhodes is the guy we should look at now, he's 30yo and should have a couple of good seasons left

FS Rhodes
ILB Burnett or B.Jones (Dansby probably too costly)
CB Munnerlyn
TE F.Davis

Should be do-able
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 09:47 PM
Quote:

The Cardinals will release free safety Kerry Rhodes, a league source told PFT’s Mike Florio on Wednesday.

Per Rotoworld.com financial figures, Rhodes was slated to make $5.5 million in 2013 ($4.5 million in salary, $1 million in bonus).

Rhodes, 30, notched 67 tackles and intercepted four passes in 2012 for Arizona.

The Cardinals will have new starters at both safety spots in 2013. Last week, they parted ways with long-time strong safety Adrian Wilson.

Link
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 09:47 PM
Quote:

Pollard is strictly a SS and we have a pretty good one already. Rhodes is the guy we should look at now, he's 30yo and should have a couple of good seasons left

FS Rhodes
CB Munnerlyn
TE F.Davis

Should be do-able

Didn't' Dansby already get picked up?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 09:51 PM
Quote:

Bingo. Pollard is also a tremendous turd. There is a reason teams cut him all the time.

Quote:

FS Rhodes
CB Munnerlyn
TE F.Davis

I like that list, but would like to have one more corner. Although we could now address that position in the draft with a trade down. It would be nice to not have to rely on rookies to immediately fill holes and let them be incorporated gradually.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 09:53 PM
I would be very interested in Rhodes ..... 30 or not.

He's a quality FS type, who knows the defense we're installing. We could draft a kid to work in situationally, and maybe into the starting lineup next year.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 09:56 PM
Rhodes loves Horton and he should be relatively cheap. He was a big part of Arizona's good pass defense last year.

Thank you Mr. Bidwell for not hiring Horton for HC.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 10:02 PM
Quote:

We could draft a kid to work in situationally, and maybe into the starting lineup next year.

You mean we shouldn't be relying on players like Eric Hagg who have little to no experience?

As I said in a different post, we might be at the point where rookies, has-beens, and Usama Youngs don't have to be starters. It would nice to be able to ease our rookies into the games instead of just throwing them out there a la Eric Hagg.
Posted By: DFbrowns44 Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 10:09 PM
I'm sorry you see it your way and I see it mine. What I saw from DQ when he played in the 3-4 is someone who was just a bit over matched. It's just my opinion from what I saw. And in this defense he won't have the huge D-linemen he had last time to cover him up. I think Dansby offers us more versatility.

On a different note I completely agree with you on Rhodes. The match seems almost to good to be true.

Both of these guys could help with the transition of our defense, that alone would be worth bringing them here. Not to mention they both played very well last year. There both a bit older but(not OLD but older), they are also extremely experienced.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 10:25 PM
Quote:

It's just my opinion from what I saw.

Your opinion is wrong.

Quote:

And in this defense he won't have the huge D-linemen he had last time to cover him up.

In this defense he will have Rubin (6'2" 330), Taylor (6'3" 335), and Bryant (6'6" 311). That is huge. He will also be blitzing much more than he ever did with Mangini and Romeo.
Posted By: eotab Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 10:40 PM
DF...I get where you are coming from. But this is not your Grandmas 3-4 Defense In the past w/RAC n Mangini the 3-4 we utilized were disciplined READ n REACT 2 gap defenses. For DL n LB alike. All 7 had to do their job close to perfection for it to work. If our DL did not stay in discipline for their 2 Gap n ate 2 OLmen then our ILB had an OG on him. Even Ray Lewis had an off year when they went to a 3-4 with 2 gap responsibility n that was with him in his PRIME. They adjusted to more attack.

We we are not adjusting...we are establishing our Basic D to be that of an ATTACK one Gap for DL n LB alike. The only blocker eaters will be the NT. Rubin n Hughes.

DQ will not be asked to READ...n REACT - he will be asked to keep on moving n moving fast attacking designed GAPS dictating to the O to get a hat on him with quick movement something OGs are not known for. So lets see the D...this is how I understand it to be...I could very well be wrong. But DQ is a pretty good ILB when asked to blitz. Lets see - I know hes has shown some enthusiasm in the new D...why should we think he won't be good in it

JMHO
Posted By: Heldawg Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 10:49 PM
Quote:

Quote:

It's just my opinion from what I saw.

Your opinion is wrong.

Quote:

And in this defense he won't have the huge D-linemen he had last time to cover him up.

In this defense he will have Rubin (6'2" 330), Taylor (6'3" 335), and Bryant (6'6" 311). That is huge. He will also be blitzing much more than he ever did with Mangini and Romeo.

So I'm of the same opinion on DQ as this poster. In your opinion he's wrong. In my opinion he's right.

The guy got drilled last time in the 34 and to put it mildly he has a tough time sheding blockers that make it to the second level.

Now you're looking at an aggressive one-gap 34 where the DL is responsible for making plays...well that just means more guys are going to be making it to him....this version of the 34 suits DQ less!

But we shall see...or he'll be traded and we won't...but this has a chance to end poorly for DQ.
Posted By: Jester Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 10:49 PM
Quote:

FS Rhodes
CB Munnerlyn
TE F.Davis

A little bit leary of Davis. Coming back from an achilles tendon injury is tough to do. I would be way more comfortable with him coming back from an ACL.

Not sure we need to get another ILb. I think that we would be okay with DQ, JMJ and Gocong. I wouldn't be upset with it but I would have a low priority attached to it.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 10:52 PM
In 2008 Jackson was among the best 3-4 inside linebackers.

He will be fine.
Posted By: DFbrowns44 Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 10:56 PM
Just because its not YOUR opinion doesn't make it wrong. As for the new line men it really wasn't pure size thing its how they played with the size. Look at eoo's post on the 2-gap thing.

Just because someone doesn't agree with your assessment of a player doesn't mean there wrong. I guess your just the all-knowing football god on here. I'm just a peasant who digs potatoes for you.

You could try giving me some evidence that would perhaps persuade me to believe that DQ would be better then "just O.K" in this defense(like eo did) as apposed to your argument that I'm wrong. I could at least respect that.
Posted By: DjangoBrown Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 10:57 PM
DQ is back to being AVG in the 3-4 and with his contract (due a 4mil roster bonus before next season, overall close to 7mil cap hit for 2014) the FO won't accept AVG or even better than that for too long....this is probably DQwell's last season as a Brown

JMJ is a complete unknown, no way I pencil him in as a starter where 2 are needed (always need 3 good ones on the roster on positions with 2 starters)

Gocong will be cut, he makes 4.55mil, comes off an injury approaching 30 and will cost little dead money

Conclusion: we absolutely NEED a ILB imho
Posted By: DFbrowns44 Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 11:06 PM
Eo I understand the difference in this defense as apposed to the old 3-4 we played. But I still see the same problems with DQ. I'm not saying he wouldn't be O.K. there, but thats all I see him being. I like DQ, but I like him as a mike in the 4-3. I never said replace him just to replace him, but lets get someone better. IMO he can be improved upon.

If your right on the block eaters in the last defense then I would argue that DQ's best chance in a 3-4 would have been the old style were he wasn't asked to take on any blocks. Because he needs to be clean to best utilize his strengths.

He just doesn't have the ability to take on the guards in the run game. He looks good if he can stay clean. But struggles when a blocker gets on him. Maybe that changes some in Horton's 3-4, I'm not sure yet. I don't see him exploding thru the gaps like Washington did for Horton in Arizona. I hope I'm wrong and your right on him but we'll have to wait and see.
Posted By: DFbrowns44 Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 11:08 PM
Thanks heldawg and django for having my back.
Posted By: Heldawg Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 11:09 PM
It's not intentional. It's because I have 20/20 vision.
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 11:16 PM
Cowboys cutting Marcus Spears

Cowboys to part ways with Marcus Spears

Posted by Darin Gantt on March 13, 2013, 5:33 PM EDT One of the strange parts of this offseason has been watching the Cowboys and Redskins watch from the sidelines, because of the salary cap penalties the league dropped on them.

Now, the Cowboys have dropped one of their own for a little room.

According to Todd Archer of ESPNDallas.com, the Cowboys have decided to release defensive end Marcus Spears.

The former first-rounder will be designated a post-June 1 cut, allowing them to spread the cap hit out. He clears around $2 million in room this year, though they don’t get credit for it until the summer. Realistically, that’s part of the cap room they’ll need to sign draft picks.

Spears was also vaguely extraneous with the Cowboys move to a 4-3, as he’s a natural defensive end in a 3-4.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 11:25 PM
Just because someone has an opinion doesn't mean it is right.

"It is my opinion that Germany really did win WWII."

In fact, in this case one of us is right and one is wrong. If he is good in the 3-4, I am right. If he isn't, you are right.

You stated that Jackson was bad previously when he played in the 3-4. He was not bad when he previously played in the 3-4, in reality he was good.

I didn't feel the need to explain why Jackson will be good in this new defense because there plenty of other people doing the same in many other posts. If you would like me to elaborate further I will.
Posted By: jb52 Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 11:27 PM
How about we keep it on the thread topic for the folks that, you know... want to see the cuts??
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts - 03/13/13 11:28 PM
I agree. I should have sent that post as a private message.

Kerry Rhodes. . .
Posted By: DFbrowns44 Re: Cuts - 03/14/13 12:00 AM
First of this will be my last post on this subject in this section, and I apologize to all for not staying on topic.

I never said I was right, just gave my opinion.

I also never said he was bad. I said he struggled, and was nothing more then O.K.. There is a difference. He had only one season where he played all 16 games while playing a 3-4. That brings up his ability to stay healthy when he has to take on the guards, like he will have to do in a 3-4. Is he durable enough? In that season(2008) he did have 154 tackles, but if I recall many of those tackles where 4-5 yds downfield. He did have 2 sacks that year. Is that a special season? I guess it depends on how you look at it. I compare his stats to when he played in the 4-3 and there really is a significant difference. Thats how I came to my conclusion that his best fit isn't the 3-4.

The only one to give me anything on how DQ will do in the 3-4 was eo. I am new to this forum so maybe I missed some posts from months or weeks ago, if so I apologize.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Cuts - 03/15/13 07:01 PM
Cards release Kolb
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Cuts - 03/15/13 08:10 PM
Colts release Zbikowski:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/21884970/colts-release-tom-zbikowski
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Cuts - 03/15/13 08:31 PM
Elvis Dumervil released???
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts - 03/15/13 08:34 PM
Yeah. Something crazy happened.

They waited too long past some sort of deadline and he had to be released.

Sign him up!
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts - 03/15/13 08:36 PM
They had a deadline to beat in order to get his new cap number in. The paperwork had to be in by 4 PM EST and they didn't think they'd get it in so they cut him.

Something more complicated than that, but along those lines.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Cuts - 03/15/13 09:43 PM
man if we could possibly get him get him in here today.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Cuts - 03/16/13 10:37 PM
Pats cut Brandon Lloyd (WR):

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000...ngland-patriots
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Cuts - 03/16/13 10:53 PM
Makes sense, since they're stacked at wide receiver
Posted By: achait420 Re: Cuts - 03/16/13 11:04 PM
what you guys think about brandon lloyd?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts - 03/16/13 11:05 PM
Old and slow.
Posted By: DonCoyote Re: Brandon Lloyd - 03/16/13 11:43 PM
I like Lloyd as a replacement for MoMass. Nothing fancy, but crafty and reliable.

Crisp routes, good hands.
Nice veteran to help bring Little, Gordon, Benjamin and Norwood along.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Cuts - 03/18/13 09:38 PM
Matt Hasselbeck released from the Titans:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000151623/article/matt-hasselbeck-released-by-tennessee-titans
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts - 03/18/13 09:38 PM
Hasselbeck is the guy that should have been signed instead of Jake Delhomme.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Cuts - 03/18/13 09:44 PM
Quote:

Hasselbeck is the guy that should have been signed instead of Jake Delhomme.

Lol, anyone should have been signed instead of Joke Delhomme.
Posted By: 1488 Re: Cuts - 03/18/13 09:46 PM
Maybe old and slow but better than momass imo.
© DawgTalkers.net