Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Legend
Legend
Quote:

j/c

Wow! You mean they cut a WR who can't catch the ball!!? I am shocked!

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
A
aej Offline
Rookie
Rookie
A
its about time dont you think?,keeping players around who don't preform is a habit that needs breaking.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Wow,, what a message they are sending.. Perform, we'll pay you, don't perform, we don't have room for you.

i love this message. its a new culture in town now.

Well, when Haslam says a guy has to go, he has to go.

yebat' Putin
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

That's too bad... I was hoping he'd get another chance to improve. He certainly had a lot of things to like. Size, willingness to block, work ethic, tough to bring down. If he could only learn to catch the ball consistently...

That's what I was hoping too.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Wow,, what a message they are sending.. Perform, we'll pay you, don't perform, we don't have room for you.

I'd have rather they kept him around a little longer, not sure it would have hurt to do so, but I think we all assumed this was coming anyway.

He was literally the worst WR in all of football last year. So many snaps, such little (no pun) production. As soon as they had enough guys to play ut was only a matter of time. Might as well let him try to catch (no pun) on somewhere else.

I can't find the PFF stats right now, but I don't really need it, he was invisible even when he played.

Edit: Woops, forgot Devon Bess. I correct myself, "One of the worst" in all of football.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/04/21/depth-and-passer-adjusted-catch-rates/

E
Legend
Legend
E
wow...was not expecting that - ok, so be it. Little unfortunately was a HOPE he could progress to this potential this year. Didn't think there was a work ethic problem or anything. I know he hung out with Gordon a lot. Hope that wasn't the issue. But we did do some investments and Little's contract was up this year.

Good Luck kid - why do I think the Cowboys will be taking him???

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

A buddy of mine told me yesterday that Little has the 3rd or 4th most career catches of all WRs from his draft class. I found that interesting if not unbelievable. (I did not verify his statement.)

I think DC hit on it earlier...they saw him in camp a couple of weeks ago and nothing had changed in his actual ability to catch the ball. He was looking at being a #4 receiver where you need a possession guy - or at least not an anti-possession guy.

My guess is that this was as mutual a release as there can be.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

j/c

A buddy of mine told me yesterday that Little has the 3rd or 4th most career catches of all WRs from his draft class. I found that interesting if not unbelievable. (I did not verify his statement.)

i saw that quote too...it included AJ Green, Torrey Smith, and Julio Jones...

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
This is an interesting move, though I can understand it. His drops were wrecking nerves. I was hoping that he could improve and thought the Gordon suspension would open up opportunity for him. I think he'll be fine if he lands somewhere where there is stability like the Patriots or Denver. He's athletic and rather young as a receiver (converted RB in college).

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R

We should had cut him 2 seasons ago.

Proves the lack of talent evaluators on the team and the problems on taking an easy decision like that.

Good sign is that we finally did it, now we just have to find a #1WR...Maybe Farmer will play the position, since he refused to draft one.

With most of the FA WR's signed, and a few viable lineman still free, puzzles me why didn't we draft Lee and opted for an OT.. Even with Gordon playing we still needed an extra WR, and with FA a Schwartz we could have plugged the holes on oline..

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Stupid move and even more stupid timing.

What was there to lose looking at him in TC again? Might even get you a pick back if a WR lands on IR somewhere else. Little was not a good WR, but he wasn't a headcase or something.

This has a lot of "my guys" over "what was there". They haven't even got a look at him up close. Makes zero sense unless he was the guy Gordon smoled with...

Django, because of the timing and the need for WRs, him smoking with Gordon was my very first thought. Gordon was high on him as a fellow WR, which might have more than one meaning. Otherwise, I don't see why you don't keep him for competition. It must be off the field or maybe a bad mini camp.

As far as Taylor being the only player the Browns have left from the Julio Jones trade, that's why I just wanted the Browns to draft Watkins because I could care less about next year. Maybe Buffalo gets the top pick and they just trade that away to the team that wants Winston. I don't care what Fisher says, if Winston needs to steal (should get a game suspension) hes coming out.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
j/c

wonder if Denver will pick him up?

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I'm shocked. I would have thought we would have let him play through his rookie contract. I guess this secures Hawkins's spot on the team though. Wasn't sure he'd make it.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well, when Haslam says a guy has to go, he has to go.

No need for concrete shoes either ... his hands will do the trick already.

... okay enough kicking a guy when he's down. I'm wondering if this had anything to do with Gordon too. Wasn't Little's job to mentor Gordon and keep him out of trouble? Last I heard, he was doing a decent job of it ... so maybe this latest news of Gordon's failed drug test didn't help Little's cause. "Dammit Greg! You had ONE job!"

S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
Another failed experiment and another bad draft pick for the Browns by Tom Heckert who many thought was an amazing GM; myself included for the majority of his tenure. Regardless, I wish him luck and hope he gets another legitimate shot. I'm sure he will but wouldn't be surprised if he phases out into mediocrity and then out of the league over the next cpl of seasons. Sad to say.

Speaking of failed draft picks which, let's examine his entire Browns draft history:

1. (7) Joe Haden, CB, Florida

2a. (38) T.J. Ward, S, Oregon

2b. (59*) Montario Hardesty, RB, Tennessee

3a. (85) Colt McCoy, QB, Texas

3b. (92**) Shawn Lauvao, OL, Arizona State

5. (160) Larry Asante, DB, Nebraska

6a. (177) Carlton Mitchell, WR, South Florida

6b. (186***) Cliff Geathers, DL, South Carolina

1. (21*) Phil Taylor, DL, Baylor

2a. (37) Jabaal Sheard, DL, Pittsburgh

2b. (59*) Greg Little, WR, North Carolina

4a. (102) Jordan Cameron, TE, USC

4b. (124*) Owen Marecic, FB, Stanford

5a. (137) Buster Skrine, DB, UT-Chattanooga

5b. (150**) Jason Pinkston, OL, Pittsburgh

7. (248#) Eric Hagg, DB, Nebraska

1a. (3*) Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama

1b. (22**) Brandon Weeden, QB, Oklahoma State

2. (37) Mitchell Schwartz, OL, California

3. (87***) John Hughes, DL, Cincinnati

4a. (100) Travis Benjamin, WR, Miami (fla.)

4b. (120***) James-Michael Johnson, LB, Nevada

5. (160) Ryan Miller, OL, Colorado

6a. (204#) Emmanuel Acho, LB, Texas

6b. (205#) Billy Winn, DT, Boise State

7a. (245#) Trevin Wade, DB, Arizona

7b. (247#) Brad Smelley, FB, Alabama

2012 Supplemental draft

2. (34) Josh Gordon, WR, Baylor

28 total draft picks, 13 of which were in the top 3 rounds.

The best of them all has to be Joe Haden, his first ever 1st round pick as the Browns GM. TJ Ward was a good pick but he isn't here any more.

Phil Taylor was also a good pick with his first pick the following year, yet he traded down and passed on Julio Jones.

Jordan Cameron taken in the 4th round was a project pick with a very high upside and all signs point towards him having a very productive career. Probably the only pick besides Skrine past round 3 where he made a great pick, and the final say on Skrine's value is not a certainty with the new coaching staff. He's developed nicely though.

Other players who should make contributions this year are Sheard, Benjamin, Schwartz, and Winn. I thought Billy Winn was a steal where we got him and I see him continuing to develop into an even better player this year if he fits into Pettine's scheme.

Just looking at the players that Heckert picked in comparison to Farmer's BPA for the scheme philosophy makes me feel a lot better w/ Farmer being the GM as opposed to Heckert. I know these guys haven't played a down yet, but his draft really stands out and makes a lot of sense for the direction we are going. Now Haslam has to let them build this thing and not have any knee jerk reactions if things go a little awry at times.

JMHO
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
We could go get Blackmon cheap and alternate with Gordon.... 1/2 pay for each, kind like a part time job, One year playing, one year suspended...

Its deja vu all over again...

Legend
Legend
12 still with the team.. out of 28 picks, isn't that about right? I mean it's gotta be close right?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
j/c

Browns releasing Little could simply mean Cooper passed him on depth chart and was expendable. It's been said it takes about three years for a receiver. I guess Little's time is up.

As for the argument it being stupid with a need at receiver, huh? You lost me here.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Quote:

Just looking at the players that Heckert picked in comparison to Farmer's BPA for the scheme philosophy makes me feel a lot better w/ Farmer being the GM as opposed to Heckert. I know these guys haven't played a down yet, but his draft really stands out and makes a lot of sense for the direction we are going. Now Haslam has to let them build this thing and not have any knee jerk reactions if things go a little awry at times.

Farmer didn't draft BPA... No where Bitonio was the BPA, and even Gilbert and Manziel are questionable...

IMHO, the philosophy is the same, instead of drafting solid we allways go for the smart move...

Deep WR draft and we don't draft one WR.... Old Browns move....

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

And way overdue.

Little should have been released during the 2013 season IMO.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

12 still with the team.. out of 28 picks, isn't that about right? I mean it's gotta be close right?

yea looks right. 2 out of 4 first round picks and 3 out of 6 2nd round picks. if Gordon is allowed to play in the nfl again?

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

And 25% of those are pro-bowlers. Yeah, that sucks.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Julio Jones trade net worth:

Phil Taylor
Brandon Weeden
Greg Little
and a 4th we use to trade up for Trent Richardson.

Ouch.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

LOL I can't tell if you mean it's good or bad?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
P
Legend
Legend
P
All Greg Little did here was become a familiar name, now we can move on with a better player, I hope Little changes his life and lands on his feet but he is no longer the Browns problem ... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Phil Taylor
Brandon Weeden
Greg Little

So your says it took all that to get the colts # 26 pick and we used that to trade up to get Manziel....

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Shoulda put it in purple

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Phil Taylor
Brandon Weeden
Greg Little

So your says it took all that to get the colts # 26 pick and we used that to trade up to get Manziel....

I call that incredible foresight.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Shoulda put it in purple

NOW, I understand. LOL

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
Quote:

Quote:

Farmer didn't draft BPA... No where Bitonio was the BPA, and even Gilbert and Manziel are questionable...

IMHO, the philosophy is the same, instead of drafting solid we allways go for the smart move...

Deep WR draft and we don't draft one WR.... Old Browns move....

I disagree completely. You could argue that after Bitonio we started to draft more for scheme then BPA, but Bitonio had a 1st round grade by basically every draft guru. He has the potential to be a perennial pro bowler at guard.

You can also argue that Desir was the BPA as well. Kirksey, however, I think was more of a scheme pick.

Forget about the QB's that were left like McCarron, Savage, Garapolo, etc. We already drafted a QB and had our sites set on signing Connor Shaw once the draft ended which I think was an excellent move. We will see how it all pans out.

Farmer stuck to our board and drafted the players who gave the highest grade. Once we drafted Manziel in the 1st, I believe we put took our focus off of the remaining QB's for good reason - to build our defense and running game.

JMHO
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Wow, never thought so many would miss him.....good move front office!

A receiver that can't catch is about as good as a car without tires!

He might have made a hell of a SS though.

S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
To add to my last post just above. Bitonio had a higher overall draft grade than Lee by most. Lee may had been the best WR left, but he also has shown to have a case of the 'dropsies'. You saw how far that got Greg Little. Why would the FO draft for need on a WR who was known to drop the football. Sure he had all the other measurables, but he was in no way going to replace Gordon.

I like the UDFA WR approach that we took as well as the signing of Miles Austin. We will find a cpl diamonds in the rough and if Austin can stay healthy, I don't see how this situation is much different than RGIII's rookie year in Washington w/ Garcon.

Overall though, we are building a team to WIN NOW! I LOVE IT! I'm tired of waiting to win and hearing personnel continually say OVER and OVER that "it's a process". When you hear coaches saying "it's a process" all the time, that is just a more intelligent way of saying we suck and aren't going to be good for a long time.

JMHO
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
He was supposed to sign an extension, but he dropped the pen....

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

To add to my last post just above. Bitonio had a higher overall draft grade than Lee by most.

Who are most?

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Dumb, immature, couldn't catch.

Goodbye.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
They have more faith in Austin's hamstrings than I do. Never did like Little but this receiving corps is garbage.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

They have more faith in Austin's hamstrings than I do. Never did like Little but this receiving corps is garbage.

I would expect them to have more confidence in his health than you. They undoubtedly checked him out medically, did you?

In the same vein, questions still remain about the health of Lee's knee. Possibly that concerned them. Also they are obviously committing to the run. Who helps the team more in that area? Lee or Bitonio?

Last edited by guard dawg; 05/16/14 06:11 PM.
Legend
Legend
Can someone explain why Scheme picks are looked down upon? Or at least that's my impression.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Can someone explain why Scheme picks are looked down upon? Or at least that's my impression.

Probably because we have a new scheme every year

All Pro
All Pro
If I remember, Little and Gordon worked out together. Hmmmm. Besides, Little could teach Braylon Edwards a few things about dropping passes.

GO BROWNS!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Release Greg Little

Link Copied to Clipboard