Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
One of the things to look for is a receiver with good hands. Little did not pass the "Allstate" test. Well, he was more like Mayhem...

It is unfortunate, but he was a liability and a drive killer. and QB's would go elsewhere when given a choice.

I hope he improves elsewhere, he is a very good blocker, and sometimes it was pretty obvious that the Browns would run to his side.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I like Greg too but as stated he was a drive killer with those drops. He can be replaced with one of the UFA. As of now he was 4th wideout at best.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
J/C...

The fact that people would waste one second wondering if their's more to the story or questioning why he wouldn't be allowed to compete in training camp is amazing to me... dude's a bum.

Yeah, he tried hard - but he's got one real job as a WR - catch the ball. He wasn't good at it. That's not a "coached up" type of thing (good Lord I hate that term)... you can either catch or you can't. He couldn't do it regularly - check ya later, Greg.

Next.

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

J/C...

The fact that people would waste one second wondering if their's more to the story or questioning why he wouldn't be allowed to compete in training camp is amazing to me... dude's a bum.

Yeah, he tried hard - but he's got one real job as a WR - catch the ball. He wasn't good at it. That's not a "coached up" type of thing (good Lord I hate that term)... you can either catch or you can't. He couldn't do it regularly - check ya later, Greg.

Next.

I've seen on this board many times over the years how it takes a player three years to develop into what he can become.

Yet after three years, Little can't catch the ball. Now people are looking for a conspiracy theory as to why he was cut? Isn't this the exact kind of made up crap some of those same people blame the media of?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

J/C...

Next.

Another great post. Most people indicate he's on his last year of his contract, which I completely agree. I was ready to hang Greg until I knew this. Then it became more of a "well he can stay then and just ride the lower depths of the chart" for another year until his contract is up and done and just never resign him.

But now he's gone, I am definitely not mad or upset about it. Like I said earlier, the team's front office is sending hte right msgs. Chud would have levied to keep him and he'd continue to play Little and give him shots. This staff... you don't produce, you're history. Which mindset do you support?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

J/C...

Next.

Can't really argue with that at all.. the only thing I wish we would have tried is RB for him. The only reason I say that is once he did catch the ball, he wasn't easy to being down. Anyway, at this point, we have better options at RB so it doesn't matter.

we actually did him a favor releasing him this early. He now has a chance to try and catch (no pun intended) on with another team...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
Legend
Legend
D
Our backfield with West, Tate, Lewis, Baker, Obi and all else is already a bit crowded with talent. Lewis, who knows what kind of explosion really he could be, firecracker or nuclear warhead? Baker showed up last year and showed he can fit inbetween tackles, catch the ball and he did it better than any of the backs we threw on the field. Obi is a "I don't know" guy. Those fumbles make it hard to see the good he's done.

West looks beast mode in the videos i've watched. It's clear why they moved up for him. He can catch, block and dance... and of course bulldoze.

Tate, we all know what he's capable of if can stay healthy. There's no room for Greg there IMO. Not sure Greg would want to play there IMO. Said it best, it was nice for them to release it early. I'd say I'm 100% certain another team is going to snag Greg. What he is and does from there is debatable...

Legend
Legend
Quote:

ur backfield with West, Tate, Lewis, Baker, Obi and all else is already a bit crowded with talent.

Which is why I said that we have better options at this point.

But last year, we were hurting for some help at RB. Little was not worth a lot as a WR,, but had experience as a RB,, I'd have loved it had they tried it then..

Didn't happen, not sure it would have worked, wouldn't have hurt anything to try it but that's yesterdays news and all I can do now is wish the kid the best..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

But now he's gone, I am definitely not mad or upset about it. Like I said earlier, the team's front office is sending hte right msgs. Chud would have levied to keep him and he'd continue to play Little and give him shots. This staff... you don't produce, you're history. Which mindset do you support?

We really don't know what Chud would have done this year.

Last year, who did we have that could step in for Little? Could you imagine Cooper playing the #2 receiver role? Or Benjamin? Davone Bess? Actually Chud did bench Little, and slid Bess into the starting role, and he stunk too. Gurley? I don't think so. If he could have done anything, he would have made it to the field at some point. Charles Johnson? Hurt befire we signed him off the Packers practice squad. We kept limited receivers to allow for additional OL to develop ...... and because we really didn't have many options at WR to start with. We had Norwood, but Bess was supposed to make him expendable.We had David Nelson, who I really liked, but who missed almost all of camp.

This tear Farmer has already given Pettine far more WR options, veterans and rookies, than Banner and Lombardi did last year. Our big veteran signing last year was Nelson, who couldn't practice until TC was almost over.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Nelson is sad. I don't think we gave him enough time to get his football feet back under him. I forget the team that picked him up, but I recall him making some plays and catches. I know I ripped him a bit, but he did indeed make some plays for the Jets I believe.

As for who'd we replace/play Little with if we were playing Chud's shoes last year... virtually anyone. Cooper showed more hope/faith when a ball was being thrown his way than Little did. Gurley 'could' have made some plays and etc if Little wasn't granted all the reps that he hadn't earned and/or didn't deserve (IMO). To say we had a bunch of "crap" pretty much is a bit tough to agree with. Yes, some no-name guys that really wasn't given a legit shot. They weren't given a legit shot b/c Chud felt obligated to continue to play the struggling Bess and struggling Little over them.

Yes it's a "we will never know" ordeal, but we'd may be appreciating the Gurleys, the Coopers, the whoevers... but no, we'd gave the chance and glory to Little whom after two seasons, showed he can't be consistent. Whom after three seasons, showed his ticket outta here to the new staff.

You can't find gold through crappy dirt if you never replace/take out the crappy dirt. I don't recall Little being benched either, I believe he was "denoted" by Chud the Dud, which resulted in Bess being promoted (talk about slitting both wrists at once and replacing a turd with another turd). I could be wrong though. Greg was borderline not even worth dressing on game days.

Legend
Legend
Cooper is too small to play on the outside consistently. Gurley has done nothing yet in his career. Neither guy was any real option.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree on Nelson. Gator ties aside, I always liked Nelson....a big body with solid hands.

No way that guy should have been cut over some of the guys we kept.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I agree on Nelson. Gator ties aside, I always liked Nelson....a big body with solid hands.

No way that guy should have been cut over some of the guys we kept.

I seem to recall that he was less than impressive in his only action of the preseason, and dropped a couple of passes when he could finally play at all.

I really liked Nelson, but I could see why they didn't feel that they could trust his health at that point,

S
Legend
Legend
S
I think Bennett fills the role that Little had. I think everything else that happened is irrelevant in this conversation. It may have happened even if Gordon was never suspended.

I think they wanted to see if they could score a WR in the draft to take his spot. That didn't happen, but they still were able to find a guy in the FA crop. I don't think cutting Greg Little way back would have been smart. Not until you know you could fill the role.

I mean let's face it, short of one of these UDFA guys blowing up the league, you're not going to fill Gordon's role as the team's dynamic #1. The Browns are going to have to find a different way to make up for the production.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

He just never grasped the position.

Or the ball

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

He just never grasped the position.

Or the ball

well played, sir.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
????????????? can you explain why it would of been a a dumb ass move to not keep a wide out that cant catch very well?........just curious

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Not trying to put words into his mouth, but I'd assume he think it's dumb for one of two reasons (or perhaps both):

1. The Timing - why not wait until final cuts to see if he's improved/progressed?

2. His Talent/Athleticism - there is no question he is an athletic freak; who knows if that light might click?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
I suspect that Farmer just felt that he didn't see improvement last year, and wasn't willing to sit around waiting to see if he improved in his 3rd season. Farmer brought in a bunch of youngsters and veterans, and we can use the time to sort out the position without worrying about a guy who obviously wasn't in their plans.

I think that they really seem to like 4 guys who are making excellent impressions early on ... Hawkins, Armstrong, Bennett, and the rookie Chandler Jones.

Then they also have guys like Burleson, Austin, and Vernon Conner is supposed to have made a strong impression as well.

It is possible that the WR corps may wind up being a unit that is stronger than the sum of its parts.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Could be... could be the Brown's were sending a msg. They locked up Haden mega big contract, Alex Mack mega big contract because why? Because they balled and played at a high level. Greg Little did not.

I'd love to know exactly why Ray sent him packing (is it jsut downright because his consistency level is very stinky? Msg sending? What exactly minus speculation), as' well as why Groves was also axed...

Either or, won't lose any sleep over either of those players not being in a Brown and orange uniform anymore...

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Could be... could be the Brown's were sending a msg. They locked up Haden mega big contract, Alex Mack mega big contract because why? Because they balled and played at a high level. Greg Little did not.

I'd love to know exactly why Ray sent him packing (is it jsut downright because his consistency level is very stinky? Msg sending? What exactly minus speculation), as' well as why Groves was also axed...

Either or, won't lose any sleep over either of those players not being in a Brown and orange uniform anymore...

I would imagine they probably let him go because he had trouble doing his job (catching the ball).

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Release Greg Little

Link Copied to Clipboard