DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: mac Josh McCown...might be the Browns best QB. - 09/13/16 01:48 PM

Josh McCown fired up by people suggesting Browns should tank

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 13, 2016, 8:59 AM EDT
link

With the Browns at 0-1 after an ugly opening loss, and with starting quarterback Robert Griffin III on injured reserve, and with all the future draft picks the team has stockpiled, should they just tank this season?

Josh McCown, now the starting quarterback with Griffin out, knows people are suggesting that. But he’s offended by it and he says every single player on the team is focused on beating the Ravens on Sunday and winning beyond that.

“For us to just sit back and say, ‘Yeah, this is the year that we’re gonna tank’ and all that, for a player that’s not our mindset at all and that’s not our expectation, and it fires me up when people say that,” McCown said today on PFT Live. “It fires me up and makes this task even greater. We embrace the opportunity to go out there and maybe do something that people don’t think we can do.”

McCown said the older players on the team are showing the younger players the right way to compete, and that’s about preparing to win now, not preparing to win in 2017 and beyond.

“For me and the other veterans on this team, a Hall of Famer like Joe Thomas, that can’t and won’t be the mindset,” McCown said. “Our mindset is to compete and play to win football games. The rest of that is down the road, but our mindset is to compete.”

The Browns don’t look like a team that will be very competitive, but McCown is looking to surprise people this year, not confirm that they’re playing for next year.
I think he is our best QB. I think RG3 was a lottery ticket and a long shot by hue and the FO. If he worked out with his talent then GREAT. If not, no loss.

Well, he didn't work. Now we resort to the 37 year old backup who actually is a better player IMO ... and who will also be hurt rather soon as well.

Not that it matters much anyways.
Posted By: Swish Re: Josh McCown...might be the Browns best QB. - 09/13/16 01:57 PM
Let's hope him being fired up doesn't lead to another concussion trying to dive into the end zone.
Headline in a few weeks: "Kessler getting his first nfl start", bank on it.

Josh is our best Qb on the roster, always has been. He'll just get hurt too.
Originally Posted By: Swish
Let's hope him being fired up doesn't lead to another concussion trying to dive into the end zone.

He's a competitive dude and it wouldn't surprise me at all.
You can say some negative things about the guy but lack of heart would never be one of them!

Wishing him well.
Posted By: mac Re: Josh McCown...might be the Browns best QB. - 09/13/16 02:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I think he is our best QB. I think RG3 was a lottery ticket and a long shot by hue and the FO. If he worked out with his talent then GREAT. If not, no loss.

Well, he didn't work. Now we resort to the 37 year old backup who actually is a better player IMO ... and who will also be hurt rather soon as well.

Not that it matters much anyways.

4life...IT MATTERS...

Look at the decisions the franchise made in the draft because they took "a chance" on RG.

The decision to go with RG may have cost the Browns a chance at a franchise QB, setting the franchise back at least a year.

The front office traded away their chance at a franchise QB, with the hope that RG would fill that need. I sure that Hue and the front office asked themselves "what if" and formulated a secondary plan in case RG didn't work out.

We still don't know that RG will not return from the injury and show that he is a capable QB.

But regardless of how RG performs if he returns, the front office must put major emphasis RG ability to stay on the field...and IMO, they must secure the first pick in the draft and take the best QB.

Posted By: Swish Re: Josh McCown...might be the Browns best QB. - 09/13/16 02:32 PM
We need him to be smart and protect himself.
While I don't necessarily agree with the FO, I don't think signing RG3 had any bearing on us drafting/not drafting Wentz. I really don't.

I think if the FO felt he was worthy, Wentz was the pick.

Whether or not their evaluation is correct is up for debate.
I agree. We would have signed RGIII to more than 2 years if we used his being here as a basis to sway decisions on who to draft.
I agree also. I believed RG3 was going to get hurt based on his history and OURS too as far as qb's are concerned. I just didn't think it would happen so soon. frown
He's going to get a chance to prove it this week. We'll see.
While I don't necessarily agree with the FO, I don't think signing RG3 had any bearing on us drafting/not drafting Wentz. I really don't.

I think if the FO felt he was worthy, Wentz was the pick.

Whether or not their evaluation is correct is up for debate.

x2
My question is. Why start McCown over Kessler? Ready or not, they took the guy in the third round and Hue stated that was his man and asked everyone to trust him. McCown probably gone after this year and does nothing for the future of this franchise. If you're going to lose, lose building for the future and find out if you even need to keep Kessler on the roster.
I think you could argue all day about who is better... rg3 or mccown.

I think with our oline, McCown will make them look better. He releases the ball in good time, and doesn't scramble a lot.

I think McCown will win us some games, and give our WR/TE's some confidence.
Originally Posted By: WhatCanBrownDo4U
My question is. Why start McCown over Kessler? Ready or not, they took the guy in the third round and Hue stated that was his man and asked everyone to trust him. McCown probably gone after this year and does nothing for the future of this franchise. If you're going to lose, lose building for the future and find out if you even need to keep Kessler on the roster.

Kessler couldn't cut it in preseason, putting him in a live game would destroy all his confidence.

No worries though, after Josh goes down - he's next up.
If Hue isnt trying to win games, he will lose this team before he gets started. McCown gives him a chance to win games kessler does not.
rofl rofl
Winning 3 as opposed to only 1 is not going to make a difference to the players. The players on this team know this thing is at least 3 years out and will be more if you don't stop with the place holders at QB.
Noodle arm kessler is not the future of this team. If we can manage to stay 2-2 when Josh gets back I will be thrilled. 1-4 and watching Kessler then I am probably done for the season. I need to watch at least a C grade QB to stomach watching the games anymore and the only one on the roster is Josh atm.
McCown is not even in the argument the future of this team.

That's a good point.

The posters on this board are saying this is a complete rebuild. That we are starting at ground zero and don't want vets. They say that guys like Dansby, Kruger, Whit, Hartline, etc needed to go so we can see "what we have" w/the younger guys and "we ain't going to win this year anyway."

Interesting, but........

Quote:
Josh McCown fired up by people suggesting Browns should tank

This fact and the fact that he is our best QB are unrelated. He is our best QB and I think the offense will have a much better flow with him on the field.. he's still not the future, neither is RGIII so the notion of us positioning ourselves for the best QB in the draft next year has nothing to do with it.
Anybody who is suggesting tanking, needs to put themselves in the players shoes. It does nothing for them personally. It sets back their career in the eyes of others. People bitch because the team is not godd, and then want them to play worse, it's maddening.

Maybe I only speak for myself, but I want a team that wants to win, even if they can't. The browns are already the laughing stock of the league, how does tanking a season help remove that stigma. These players have egos and feelings, they have quests for endorsements, and stats that up their pay grade. Tanking on purpose shows they have no heart. Fans that want a team to tank are fools, IMO, they are bad enough, and have enough draft picks to get who they want even if they do somehow have a decent season.

Suggesting that they tank pisses me off.

McCown has pride, and so do most atheletes. I think Josh will be fine, even with this team of youngsters. I actually think it will help more in their development having him on the field. We didn't lose last year because Josh was on the field, no matter how people want to spin it.
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

That's a good point.

The posters on this board are saying this is a complete rebuild. That we are starting at ground zero and don't want vets. They say that guys like Dansby, Kruger, Whit, Hartline, etc needed to go so we can see "what we have" w/the younger guys and "we ain't going to win this year anyway."

Interesting, but........

Dansby, Kruger, Whit, Hartline etc. under performed some badly and had fairly high wages...that to me is why they're gone. I don't like the "we ain't gonna win this year anyway." attitude...
Originally Posted By: E.Ryze19

Maybe I only speak for myself, but I want a team that wants to win, even if they can't.

No, you are not the only one. Very likely the majority also share that thought...
Originally Posted By: E.Ryze19
Anybody who is suggesting tanking, needs to put themselves in the players shoes. It does nothing for them personally. It sets back their career in the eyes of others. People bitch because the team is not godd, and then want them to play worse, it's maddening.

Maybe I only speak for myself, but I want a team that wants to win, even if they can't. The browns are already the laughing stock of the league, how does tanking a season help remove that stigma. These players have egos and feelings, they have quests for endorsements, and stats that up their pay grade. Tanking on purpose shows they have no heart. Fans that want a team to tank are fools, IMO, they are bad enough, and have enough draft picks to get who they want even if they do somehow have a decent season.

McCown has pride, and so do most atheletes. I think Josh will be fine, even with this team of youngsters. I actually think it will help more in their development having him on the field. We didn't lose last year because Josh was on the field, no matter how people want to spin it.

^This

Josh is not an All Pro, but he is a guy who is solid and can competently execute your offense. That's the kind of guy who will help develop the rest of the young offense so when we do finally get that unicorn er.. All Pro QB, the rest of the team will be ready.

I don't understand why people keep forgetting the other 52 players on the roster?

Honestly I'm kind of excited to see Josh again this year. A 37yr old QB who genuinely appreciates the opportunity to play, and has to know this is probably his last season. And with his career he's got every motivation to go out there and leave it all on the field to make this his best season ever.
Quote:

So, the FO pisses you off?
Quote:

they're not tanking. lol uncanny how people can just make stuff up.
Uhmmmm...........so, just how many posters are "suggesting the Browns 'tank' the season?"

Amazing how people make things up, isn't it?
lol should I go take a head count? funny you should name the FO as tanking the season tho, right?
Not sure what you are talking about????????? I haven't seen anyone say that the Browns should tank the season.

In order to arrive at that conclusion, one would have to assume that the OP was talking about the Browns playing Kessler instead of McCown.

If one can make that jump, then one should also assume that getting rid of your veteran players so you can play other young players also equates to tanking the season.

Look, guys like you and 19 can get as huffy as you like and blame the fans for everything. However, it is NO SECRET that the FO has said that they are in a complete rebuild. So, I really don't get the irritation, anger, and disgust of from some of you just because a poster suggests we should play Kessler.
Quote:

looks like you're suggesting the FO is tanking the season for starters...
and no, in another thread I suggested "why not start Cody?" I am all for it. why not see if he is what I think we drafted him for?... I am angry at all.
an yes I have seen a couple of posters saying the FO is tanking
I know you are not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I was referring to 19 saying that posters were suggesting that the Browns tank the season, when in fact, I can't find posters suggesting any such thing.

I have already explained it to you. You either can't read at all or are deliberately ignoring what my intent was.
Quote:
looks like you're suggesting the FO is tanking the season for starters...

I have already answered this question. Let me do it again. Slowly.

I
do
not
think
the
FO
is
deliberately
tanking
the
season.
Instead,
I
have
read
where
they
said
there
is
a
complete
rebuild
going
on.

19 is the one who made the dumb statement. I was simply throwing that "logic" back into his angry face.
JC,

I'm happy he gets another shot to step up and play. Really, we have nothing else to lose. Hopefully, with a consistent QB behind center this well help develop our young WRs. Josh loves to play vertical and he'll get that opportunity to air it out with Prior, Coleman, and Gordon when he comes off his suspension. I really never felt RG3 would last long enough to prove himself a reliable option for the future.
I know you are not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I was referring to 19 saying that posters were suggesting that the Browns tank the season, when in fact, I can't find posters suggesting any such thing.

I have already explained it to you. You either can't read at all or are deliberately ignoring what my intent was.

yes I have read some saying we are tanking the season...won't go find it cuz I just don't feel like it...not the sharpest knife? that makes you not the brightest bulb in the room...
I didn't see the whole thread to see what your intent was...just used to you being a smart @#$ to some posters I guess...
Ahhhh...........so, you spoke from an uninformed position. Why don't I find that shocking?
If I mistook your post I apologize Vers...this whole board is a "taste great", "less filling" kinda vibe to it.
Ahhhh...........so, you spoke from an uninformed position. Why don't I find that shocking?

just trying to be like you buddy...you are my idol, you know that right?
LOL...........no problem, grasshopper. wink
A lot of talk of tanking. We will not tank the season, we don't have to. We will have the worst record in the league while trying our best. We don't have to try to lose. It's the natural by product of less talent than all of your opponents.

Not all is lost, though. From what I saw in week 1, outside of talent on offense, talent on defense, talent on special teams, and coaching ... we were right there.
in my mind, the two teams who are very bad who also would draft a QB are Chicago and SF (the Bills might as well, but they'll at least win 5-6).

Well, SF won last week. Every win by them should make us happy.
I have never prescribed to playing for draft picks. Building a winning culture is far more important.

Heck, we had the 2nd overall pick last year and we ended up w/Corey Coleman. blush
Posted By: mac Re: Josh McCown...might be the Browns best QB. - 09/14/16 02:11 PM
jc...

Speculating...the Browns two year plan could be drafting Watson with the Browns pick next year. McCown could screw that up if the offense becomes more productive with him at QB.

The odds might be against McCown proving to be much of an upgrade at QB...but to insure the odds stay in favor of the front office...McCown could be traded with Kessler taking over.

A move such as that could be passed off as taking advantage of the opportunity to gain draft picks and giving valuable playing time to our young QBs.

The Boys wouldn't do that...would they?

I could see that happening...
Originally Posted By: mac
jc...

The Boys wouldn't do that...would they?

I could see that happening...

Of course that is a possibility, mac. It can't be ruled out. But forget the speculating, how would YOU handle the current QB dilemma?
It doesn't matter how big of a boost Josh will/could be to the offense when the defense is what ours is.

It just simply doesn't matter. Having a competent Qb though could help the younger people, especially Erving with the line sliding and protections.
jc...

Speculating...the Browns two year plan could be drafting Watson with the Browns pick next year. McCown could screw that up if the offense becomes more productive with him at QB.

IMO, if the Browns plan is to draft Watson next year, then the performance of McCown this year will not change that one bit.
Posted By: mac Re: Josh McCown...might be the Browns best QB. - 09/14/16 03:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
It doesn't matter how big of a boost Josh will/could be to the offense when the defense is what ours is.

It just simply doesn't matter. Having a competent Qb though could help the younger people, especially Erving with the line sliding and protections.

LB...given the condition the roster is in after one Moneyball draft..being gutted, there is no going back now!

The #1 priority for this franchise continues to be QUARTERBACK.

The Boys didn't fill that need in 2016 and now the QB position continues to be this franchises #1 priority in the next draft.

IMO, the franchise must do whatever it takes to draft the best QB prospect in the 2017 draft.
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
jc...

IMO, if the Browns plan is to draft Watson next year, then the performance of McCown this year will not change that one bit.

I believe his thought was that a competent QB could win games, thus not giving us the opportunity to draft Watson.. not that they would think McCown was some how the long term solution.

I personally would love to have Watson but I also want to win as many games as we can this year, if that number is 5 or 6 or 3.. doesn't matter, win as many as you can. the Rams had the #1 pick last year and their QB selection was in jeans on Sunday while the #2 QB taken is the talk of the NFL right now..

LB...given the condition the roster is in after one Moneyball draft..being gutted, there is no going back now!

The #1 priority for this franchise continues to be QUARTERBACK.

The Boys didn't fill that need in 2016 and now the QB position continues to be this franchises #1 priority in the next draft.

IMO, the franchise must do whatever it takes to draft the best QB prospect in the 2017 draft.

Oh yeah, we've dug the hole already. There's no going back. Can you imagine had we released or traded Josh, what situation we'd be in? Making a bad situation worse.

The priority is and will always be Qb. Look at Oakland, Carr comes in and now look.

The good news is, with our schedule and our "team" - we will be in the top five and we'll get a good crack at the high level Qb prospects. It would be great to see a Qb here earn a big fat contract and playing solid ball. That would just be fantastic.
Quote:
"Josh McCown...might be the Browns best QB."

Then we should have drafted Wentz. End of Thread.
Posted By: mac Re: Josh McCown...might be the Browns best QB. - 09/14/16 04:28 PM
Quote:
The good news is, with our schedule and our "team" - we will be in the top five and we'll get a good crack at the high level Qb prospects.

LB..."top five" ?

No, we need the top pick so there is no need to make a deal to move up.

After we take a QB, we need to address defensive needs and any OL issues. The Browns do not want to be in a position where they are forced to use up valuable draft picks to move up to draft a QB.

If this franchise is going to unofficially tank...then do it right, with one more loss than the nearest loser.

I never want to go through another season like this one is shaping up to be..never!
Posted By: mac Re: Josh McCown...might be the Browns best QB. - 09/14/16 04:34 PM
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
Quote:

Perfect...once the Browns signed RG, drafting a QB in the 2016 draft did not fit their plan.

Hopefully The Boys and Hue have seen enough of RG to know that no matter how good he may be, staying on the field will always be an issue for him and the team.

Quote:
I never want to go through another season like this one is shaping up to be..never!

We've been thru seasons like this one is shaping up to be for 15 years.
j/c

I guess all of this talk about tanking is subjective.

When the FO gets rid of a ton of veteran players and keeps 16 rookies plus a lot of second year players on the roster, are they trying to win or trying to develop talent?

I don't believe anyone can honestly say this FO put winning over development. Now that doesn't mean they don't want to win, just that winning has been made very difficult based on the plan that's in place.

With that much youth, it's the future you're building for, not the now. We simply don't have the experience and developed talent on the field to win at this time.

The FO knows it, the coaching staff knows it and objective fans know it. I can see how some can see that as tanking the season.
I didn't want to sound even more negative, but I believe we truly are on deck for #1 overall selection. I really and seriously do. And I'll even take the negativity one step more, and say it'll come on the premises of just legit loses and not even trying to "tank", we're just really that bad in my eyes.
Posted By: mac Re: Josh McCown...might be the Browns best QB. - 09/14/16 04:42 PM
Quote:

Like I said, what ever it takes to secure the top pick..that should be the goal.

If that means going 0-16, so be it!

I believe the worst season the Browns have had is 1999...2-14..this season could be a record breaker!
Sad the only records on deck for being feasible to break includes the amount of loses the season will have.
Posted By: mac Re: Josh McCown...might be the Browns best QB. - 09/14/16 04:47 PM
Quote:
I don't believe anyone can honestly say this FO put winning over development.

pitt...when The Boys said all the right things about signing our free agents, then didn't follow through...IT SENT A MESSAGE TO THE LOCKERROOM.

Some of the veterans may have slacked off, hoping they would be traded or cut..because they were just fed up this franchise and how poorly it was being run. Who would blame them if they wanted to get out?

The Boys built this franchise to "lose" with the hope that tanking will bring a winner at "some point" in the future...where "that point" in future is...depends on how cheap Haslam will be.

...if Haslam refuses to re-sign (in 4-5yrs) the talent that is now being drafted, what we are experiencing over the next few years will simply repeat.

Quote:
because they were just fed up this franchise and how poorly it was being run.

Couldn't this mindset of veteran players on the roster been the same for the vet players that were heading for free agency?
Quote:

Perfect...once the Browns signed RG, drafting a QB in the 2016 draft did not fit their plan.

Hopefully The Boys and Hue have seen enough of RG to know that no matter how good he may be, staying on the field will always be an issue for him and the team.

One game as QB, and with this Defense that gave up 29 points and we should throw RG under a bus?

Honestly, I don't know if he's the answer, I tend to thing not, but hey, what do I know.

Except, I think it takes more than one game.
Quote:

Like I said, what ever it takes to secure the top pick..that should be the goal.

If that means going 0-16, so be it!

I believe the worst season the Browns have had is 1999...2-14..this season could be a record breaker!

There are no QB's IMO worthy of the #1 pick unless someone comes out of the wood work which could happen. Besides what makes you believe this FO won't trade high picks away for a bunch of meaningless later picks like they usually do?
Quote:
One game as QB, and with this Defense that gave up 29 points and we should throw RG under a bus?

RG threw himself under that bus when he forgot to protect himself.
Quote:
The good news is, with our schedule and our "team" - we will be in the top five and we'll get a good crack at the high level Qb prospects.

LB..."top five" ?

No, we need the top pick so there is no need to make a deal to move up.

After we take a QB, we need to address defensive needs and any OL issues. The Browns do not want to be in a position where they are forced to use up valuable draft picks to move up to draft a QB.

If this franchise is going to unofficially tank...then do it right, with one more loss than the nearest loser.

See mac we can agree on stuff! I said something just like this the other day.
Quote:

And that plan didn't fit the Brown's. Someone should be accountable. They could have still taken Wentz for backup. But Nooooo!...we have McCussion and a rookie 4th rounder to try and develop over the next few years.
Posted By: mac Re: Josh McCown...might be the Browns best QB. - 09/14/16 05:05 PM
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Quote:

Couldn't this mindset of veteran players on the roster been the same for the vet players that were heading for free agency?

NO...do you remember the message that was being sent by the Browns front office?

I'm positive some of those free agents thought the Browns would re-sign them. Once none of the free agents were re-signed, the future plan for the franchise became much clearer for the veterans that remained on the roster.
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

With that much youth, it's the future you're building for, not the now. We simply don't have the experience and developed talent on the field to win at this time.

Kudos, Pit. That is likely the most objective, non-partisan statement that I've read on here in quite a while...
Quote:

NO...do you remember the message that was being sent by the Browns front office?

I'm positive some of those free agents thought the Browns would re-sign them. Once none of the free agents were re-signed, the future plan for the franchise became much clearer for the veterans that remained on the roster.

That's fair. I just wanted to be clear that you didn't think the vets on the squad before FA weren't already upset with the franchise's losing ways.
Quote:
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

Then why didn't they draft a youthful QB with their 2016 1st rd pick? Everyone knew RGIII was a reach and they still passed on Wentz. Pfft.
The Browns have publicly said that they did not view Wentz as a top 20 qb. It was a moronic thing to say in public, but I guess that doesn't matter much.

What will matter is whether or not Wentz turns out to be good or not. At this point, we don't know either way.
Posted By: Swish Re: Josh McCown...might be the Browns best QB. - 09/14/16 05:22 PM
We could've had our choice between Carr and Teddy.....
There isn't a week that goes by w/out me thinking about that.
Hope for a Vikings Superbowl run with Bradford, then you probably get Teddy in a Browns uni.
I really wanted Teddy... I thought he could be an upgraded Alex Smith type QB.
I think about that all the time too. Dereck or Teddy AND Odell. It makes me sick. frown
Me too. Isn't it amazing to think if had one of those two qbs and OBJ?
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
jc...

I believe his thought was that a competent QB could win games, thus not giving us the opportunity to draft Watson.. not that they would think McCown was some how the long term solution.

I personally would love to have Watson but I also want to win as many games as we can this year, if that number is 5 or 6 or 3.. doesn't matter, win as many as you can. the Rams had the #1 pick last year and their QB selection was in jeans on Sunday while the #2 QB taken is the talk of the NFL right now..

Ah, that makes sense. Apologies to mac for misunderstanding his point.
You're a good soul, Cap.
The Browns have publicly said that they did not view Wentz as a top 20 qb. It was a moronic thing to say in public, but I guess that doesn't matter much.

What will matter is whether or not Wentz turns out to be good or not. At this point, we don't know either way.

Wentz and many others that we could have drafted went on the fast track for their teams and have done well and we're still waiting to draft a top QB after trading down from top picks again. Not a very smart way to rebuild/build in a QB dependent league.

Just saying not drafting a QB with our top pick is still haunting us after 15 years in this league. That's insanity in it's purest form.
Posted By: mac Re: Josh McCown...might be the Browns best QB. - 09/14/16 08:32 PM
Quote:

cap...No apology necessary.

Posted By: mac Re: Josh McCown...might be the Browns best QB. - 09/14/16 08:52 PM

Browns exec: We did not view Wentz as top-20 NFL QB

Yardbarker•Sep 5, 2016, 4:00 AM
link

Some questioned why the Cleveland Browns traded out of the No. 2 pick in the NFL Draft back in April despite needing a quarterback and knowing they’d be able to select Carson Wentz. The answer, according to the team’s football czar, is simply the fact that the Browns did not rate Wentz that highly.

Chief strategy officer Paul DePodesta said the Browns were motivated to trade the pick and stick with Robert Griffin III because they didn’t envision Wentz developing into a top-20 NFL quarterback at any point.

“We have to make judgments on the individual players and we’re not always going to be right,” DePodestatold Tony Grossi of ESPN Cleveland. “But in this particular case, we just didn’t feel it was necessarily the right bet to make for us at this time. Again, it comes down to individual evaluation of a player. We will not always be right on those type of things.

“I think the hardest part, and where we have to stay the most disciplined, as much as you want a player, you can’t invent him if he doesn’t exist. In a given year, there may be two or three NFL-ready quarterbacks at the college level. In another year, there literally may be zero. There just may be not be anybody in that year who’s good enough to be a top 20 quarterback in the NFL. Even though you have a desperate need for one, you have to resist the temptation of taking that guy just because you have a need if you don’t believe he’s one of those 20 guys at the end of the day. I think that’s the hardest part, just maintaining your discipline because you have the need. That’s what we did this year.”

The Philadelphia Eagles clearly feel differently about Wentz after giving up a huge parcel of draft picks to draft him, then turning the keys to the offense over to him immediately. It’s definitely a bit of a gamble by the Browns. If Wentz turns out to be a quality quarterback and Griffin is a failure in Cleveland, the Browns will be subjected to a lot of second-guessing.

If you can't read thru this thread and feel some want them to tank, I don't know what to say.That was the vibe I got and that's why I said what I did.

hope that meets your approval.
I guess it's how you label things. What is it that the FO is doing? Some could say "building for the future." No problem w/that. However, if a poster says we might want to play Kessler because we should see what we got, than that poster is saying "we should tank the season?"

That's freaking odd.

And I suppose I have a real issue how you--and some others--are constantly bad-mouthing Brown's fans, as if they are the real problem. The Browns are damn lucky to have such a loyal fan base and I am sick of hearing guys like you bash the fans!
The Browns FO may still be right about Wentz. After all, he only looked good against US. We make just about any qb look good even the mediocre ones. frown
we have the most `dead money` or second most. if you get rid of starting safety and starting linebacker ...etc. it sorta is a rebuild mode/tank.

it would be better to have a younger player beat out a vet. we always get rid of a vet and claim we upgraded.
wentz is going against the bears next. i heard they have a worse secondary than ours.
If this front office is putting their eggs into drafting Deshawn Watson, they better make damn sure that he's far and away the best QB in that draft class. Because if they get that wrong, they may as well find new employment.
Originally Posted By: lionchamp29
wentz is going against the bears next. i heard they have a worse secondary than ours.

which is mind boggling
Originally Posted By: Schadenfreude
If this front office is putting their eggs into drafting Deshawn Watson, they better make damn sure that he's far and away the best QB in that draft class. Because if they get that wrong, they may as well find new employment.

every FO who selects a QB at #1 is basically putting their jobs on the line. If it's Watson, Kizer, or whoever, that's probably their fate one way or another.
unless you're jeff fisher maybe haha
We are going to have the 1st and 2nd picks, and take Watson and Kizer, and let them fight it out. wink
Quote:

cap...No apology necessary.

Appreciate it mac, but my response was based on a misunderstanding, so I feel better owning up to it.

which is mind boggling

Is that even possible? Our secondary is... yikes.
Quote:
Per Schefter & Mort: "Browns sources say Kessler isn't close to being ready to play -- expectations for him aren't particularly high."

https://twitter.com/DawgsByNature/status/776400394628902912
That pick just never made sense from the start. Trust you Hue? Not on that one.
Originally Posted By: Schadenfreude

The problem is that will take maybe 3-4 years before they/we really know. Bradford and RGIII are good examples. I am not going to get in to the arguement on who is better. What is clear is that neither of those guys have lived up to their draft status, but they keep getting chances to fail. A low round draft picks get a chance or two, then they are done.
Quote:
Per Schefter & Mort: "Browns sources say Kessler isn't close to being ready to play -- expectations for him aren't particularly high."

so, that's not a good sign
not that I ever thought Kessler COULD play in the NFL

I haven't heard any talk, but it seems to me we might need to go through the scrap heap of FA qbs and at least get somebody who has thrown a football in a few NFL games.
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

I haven't heard any talk, but it seems to me we might need to go through the scrap heap of FA qbs and at least get somebody who has thrown a football in a few NFL games.

I'm sure Jeff Garcia would pickup if someone rang his phone lol.
Quote:

No, it's not, but were you expecting Kessler to come in and become our QB savior? It would be nice, but I was never banking on that to happen. Now, who we take in the first round could very well be.

Edit: Just saw your follow up post.

Works for me....I was trying to find a list of FA players but can't find anything even close to being up to date. Not sure who is out there.
Quote:

No, it's not, but were you expecting Kessler to come in and become our QB savior? It would be nice, but I was never banking on that to happen. Now, who we take in the first round could very well be.

Edit: Just saw your follow up post.

Yeah, I mean he stinks. Most of us knew he stinks. It was a wasted pick (at least 99% sure). We could have gotten somebody better with that selection (you know, someone who could actually play?)
I remember honestly thinking that Kessler was drafted 3-4 rounds too early
Posted By: Swish Re: Josh McCown...might be the Browns best QB. - 09/15/16 01:21 PM
What about trying to bring in Foles from the chiefs?

I bet it would take more than we'd be willing to give up
Quote:

The guys on this board talked and talked and talked about college qbs leading up to the draft.

Almost every single poster could have told the Browns that "...expectations for him aren't particularly high." LOL

We talked about Wentz, Goff, Lynch, Prescott, Cardale, Hackenberg, Cook, Brisset, Hogan, etc.............but there was very little talk of Kessler. I remember one guy mentioning him about a month or two before the draft.

I was shocked when the Browns took Kessler in the 3rd.

Again, it's early and things can change.
Quote:

The guys on this board talked and talked and talked about college qbs leading up to the draft.

Almost every single poster could have told the Browns that "...expectations for him aren't particularly high." LOL

We talked about Wentz, Goff, Lynch, Prescott, Cardale, Hackenberg, Cook, Brisset, Hogan, etc.............but there was very little talk of Kessler. I remember one guy mentioning him about a month or two before the draft.

I was shocked when the Browns took Kessler in the 3rd.

Again, it's early and things can change.

Yeah, I think most on here would concur. I've said for years we could draft on this board with way more success than we've had since 99 ... not even close IMO
Lets don't get carried away. It's one thing to dink around on a message board and an entirely different deal when you are doing it for real and all eyes are trained on your actions.

It might be fair to say we couldn't have done worse.

Another name that came up on another board is Josh Freeman....he is 28-29 years old, was a former #1 pick.

I just think we need to have more than Kessler and the praqctice squad guy....can't think of his name at the moment....Hogan!! That's it.

Another name that came up on another board is Josh Freeman....he is 28-29 years old, was a former #1 pick.

I just think we need to have more than Kessler and the praqctice squad guy....can't think of his name at the moment....Hogan!! That's it.

Did Aaron Murray get picked up?
I just want to go on record and make clear I should've used the purple font on the Garcia comment. Lol.
I like McCown and he is pretty good. There is only one problem with him...He doesn't win. thumbsdown
Originally Posted By: Goose7
I like McCown and he is pretty good. There is only one problem with him...He doesn't win. thumbsdown

He's got 100% nothing to do with the defense that surrenders points to anyone and everyone.

He's got 100% nothing to do with the defense that surrenders points to anyone and everyone.

100% of that statement means nothing. The average score for NFL games are 29 points for the winner 18 points for the loser. We rarely score over 18 points. Do the math. We lose because we typically can't generate enough offensive momentum, plain and simple.
Quote:
100% nothing

LOL, that's awesome! I'm going to borrow that statement when I get into an argument w/my wife. wink grin
Quote:
100% nothing

LOL, that's awesome! I'm going to borrow that statement when I get into an argument w/my wife. wink grin

Haha, I'd be weary of the backlash hehe... them women are more violent and brutal than some linebackers in the nfl laugh

100% of that statement means nothing. The average score for NFL games are 29 points for the winner 18 points for the loser. We rarely score over 18 points. Do the math. We lose because we typically can't generate enough offensive momentum, plain and simple.

Is 29 points really the average?? Wow. Definitely shuts down what I said. But, when I look at the 2015 season, there's like nine games we gave up more than 29 points. When one assumes our defense is likely worse than that, I think what I said makes some sense. Won't matter how many we score when our D will let people roll them.
I thought Kessler was going to go undrafted but Hue got his pick. RG3 was also the Hue decision. Kapernick was a Hue selection, FO just failed to pull the trade. While hue may be the QB whisperer, he sure as hell isnt the QB Evaluator.

This regime appears to have an eye for D talent but out of all those offensive selections not a single one on offense is showing that they belong in the NFL. Right now, looking like backups at best. Even our top 15 #1 receive looking more like a 5th receiver than a top 2 guy.
Quote:
100% nothing

Haha, I'd be weary of the backlash hehe... them women are more violent and brutal than some linebackers in the nfl laugh

Is 29 points really the average?? Wow. Definitely shuts down what I said. But, when I look at the 2015 season, there's like nine games we gave up more than 29 points. When one assumes our defense is likely worse than that, I think what I said makes some sense. Won't matter how many we score when our D will let people roll them.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/64441086/nfl-statistical-analysis-average-nfl-game

thumbsup

The final score will be 29.0 to 17.8. Via Pro Football Reference's game length data, all this will take 3 hours, 10 minutes and 34 seconds, 100 percent of which you will never get back.
....he is 28-29 years old, was a former #1 pick.

So is Brady Quinn (ok, he's 31... but, same difference).

Actually. that's not a bad idea - somebody call Quinn and bring him in!
Quote:

He's a rookie third round pick. I would be shocked if he was ready.

He could probably do the Dak Prescott and not throw a pass over five yards.

For what?
Quote:
100% nothing

It's been nice knowing ya; please send a PM to the Refs with an address that we can send flowers to rofl
Quote:
Will Josh McCown be an upgrade? I certainly got the feeling that Cleveland’s Week 2 opponent, Baltimore, thinks so. What little we saw of Robert Griffin III on Sunday didn’t reflect a whole lot of progress. The coaches I talked to who watched his tape said Griffin’s accuracy issues remain, and he looked more skittish in the face of contact than he was before. Based on the cost of quarterbacks these days and the time Hue Jackson’s staff has already spent on him, it may make sense for Cleveland to invest the $6.75 million it’d take to keep Griffin (a $750K roster bonus is due in March) for 2017, just to ride out the process. But it’s getting harder and harder to envision Griffin making it as a starting QB, particularly considering how good Jackson is at developing them.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/09/15/nfl-quarterbacks-jameis-winston-marcus-mariota-notebook
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
....he is 28-29 years old, was a former #1 pick.

So is Brady Quinn (ok, he's 31... but, same difference).

Actually. that's not a bad idea - somebody call Quinn and bring him in!

You meant to put that in Purple right? LOL
No, I didn't, despite how it may seem.

At this point, I'd take Frye, Quinn, & McCoy on this roster in a heartbeat. Holcomb, Anderson, too.

I'd still keep McCown above any of them, but I'd take any/all of them ahead of Kessler.

Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Quote:

I took it as he's not even ready to be on the gameday roster. That's different than starting/playing well.

I'd trade him for Dak still though.

which is mind boggling

It's slightly better when healthy .. I played Will Fuller in my 2 FF leagues I have him on last week because there top 3 corners are out ..

If there not back this week .. It MAY be another EASY week for Wentz .. Maybe the Bears will have some SEMBLANCE OF A PASS RUSH ..
Heck! id rather have Pryor QB.
Quote:

I took it as he's not even ready to be on the gameday roster. That's different than starting/playing well.

That's fine. He's a third round rookie QB. The #1 overall pick was inactive.
Quote:

Would you be concerned at all if you were a LA fan? He's 3rd behind Keenum and Mannion. I'd be a little concerned.

Would you be concerned at all if you were a LA fan? He's 3rd behind Keenum and Mannion. I'd be a little concerned.

I would not be concerned. This was their plan all along and they are sticking to it.

I would be more concerned with the fact that the people devising the plans are Jeff Fisher and Les Snead.

I would not be concerned. This was their plan all along and they are sticking to it.

I would be more concerned with the fact that the people devising the plans are Jeff Fisher and Les Snead.

I did not see anything about the plan being to sit him for the year ... or at least initially. If that's the case, then so be it.

I'm also biased because Goff seemed totally overwhelmed in Hard Knocks.

Except that being a QB isn't the same as being a pitcher in baseball, or a goalie in hockey. They are defensive players. It is up to the D to shut down a opponent.

Crediting wins to a QB is foolish.

JMO, but my opinion in this case is correct. End of story.
Quote:

It's not really fair to compare to Prescott (I don't think you were but, I know some on here already think he is going to be star and we whiffed for not grabbing him. Maybe he is maybe he isn't...its early.). Anyway, Kessler has not had 1st team snaps. He has been in and out of preseason games with a revolving door of non-starters or people who didn't make the team. Prescott has been taking 1st team snaps since Romo got hurt. As Kessler continues to take the 2nd team snaps it will help. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Hogan is promoted (as 3rd QB) once they feel he is making headway into the playbook.
Dak also has the best o-line in the NFL protecting him, jus sayin
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain

And they don't ask him to throw more than five yards down the field.
Quote:
Crediting wins to a QB is foolish.

Gotta disagree. Football often comes down to the very end of games. There just seem to be some QBs that get it done, and some that don't. Easily the most important position in football, having a QB that performs when their backs are against the wall is key.

IMO it's one of the reasons a guy like Josh McCown is Josh McCown
Not the same. If it was QBs would have won loss records just like pitchers and goalies from way back when.

Dennis Northcutt, and Kevin Johnson are available.
Originally Posted By: GMdawg

Dennis Northcutt, and Kevin Johnson are available.

I remember those last few games of the 2000 season (I believe). what a circus
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain

And they don't ask him to throw more than five yards down the field.

That is the second time you have said that. Please stop deliberately misleading people.

Dak threw 15 passes last Sunday that were farther than 10 yards, never mind 5 yards.

I get that you love Kessler and are trying to make excuses for the Browns, but the reality of the situation is that most everyone thought more of Dak BEFORE the draft and that thus far, Dak is seemingly farther ahead than Kessler.

Lies and excuses will not change that.
peen, it is a team game. No doubt.

However, you can't diminish just how important the QB position is. That has been stated by NFL execs for years. Our own FO guys and HC have said the same thing. So, unless you think our guys are clueless, you might wanna back off on that statement.
I guess it's how you label things. What is it that the FO is doing? Some could say "building for the future." No problem w/that. However, if a poster says we might want to play Kessler because we should see what we got, than that poster is saying "we should tank the season?"

That's freaking odd.

And I suppose I have a real issue how you--and some others--are constantly bad-mouthing Brown's fans, as if they are the real problem. The Browns are damn lucky to have such a loyal fan base and I am sick of hearing guys like you bash the fans!

You trash people on these boards constantly, are they not fans? Kessler is not close to being ready, playing him would be not using your best QB. Thus, to me, it would be like tanking.

Also, nowhere did I say or think the fans are the problem. In the scheme of things they have nothing to do with what goes on with the team. You like to put words in others mouths to make yourself look so intelligent.
You are full of crap. You trash other posters in almost every post you make. I am tired of listening to your hateful takes.
No, he doesn't trash every poster one this board. He just trashes you after the ridiculous things you write. Hateful takes? Look in the freakin' mirror.
He does. Go ahead and search his posts. He is always bad mouthing people.

Tired of him bashing Brown's fans.
Quote:
Tired of him bashing Brown's fans.

How ironic.
I make a ton of posts, Memphis. I talk a lot of football. He does not!

I do bash individual posters, but I also post a lot more football than not. That dude slams Brown's fans on almost every single post he makes.
Why respond with "I'm tired of him basing Browns' fans?" Who cares how many posts you make?!

Seems, at it's mildest, disingenuous. Whatever, no biggie to me....you inherently called yourself out on this one.
Yeah great. You are right. I suck and you and he are awesome.
These replies are always the best on so many levels.
Let it go!
These ones too. ^
I'll say this about Vers, he's just as likely to compliment a post as he is to bash one. He's almost normal. thumbsup
Just checkin' in, seeing if there was any news on Josh. I googled him, nothing so far.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Josh McCown...might be the Browns best QB. - 09/18/16 10:50 PM
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20
Just checkin' in, seeing if there was any news on Josh. I googled him, nothing so far.

Michael Silver ‏@MikeSilver 3m3 minutes ago
The Browns are bracing themselves for possible bad news on Josh McCown's shoulder. Won't know for sure until the morning. @nflnetwork
if i was to guess having seen some the hits/falls..I'd say separated shoulder. hopefully its just a bruise and he will be back to holding the ball and being skittish in the face of pressure next week in miami grin
Man, I have total respect for Josh. Dude is the ultimate team player and warrior and just listening to his press conferences you can tell how important it is for him. I really hope he is ok and that we protect him better. He doesn't deserve being hit as many times as he was.
McCown was definitely better than Griffin, but he really makes some boneheaded decisions and still holds the ball too long.
Originally Posted By: PDXBrownsFan
Man, I have total respect for Josh. Dude is the ultimate team player and warrior and just listening to his press conferences you can tell how important it is for him. I really hope he is ok and that we protect him better. He doesn't deserve being hit as many times as he was.

He was hit as many times as he was because he holds the ball as long as possible.
Yeah, Josh is his own worst enemy most times. Waiting to get rid of it until the last possible second makes you take uneccessary hits
He holds the ball too long at times, but the OL---especially Erving---was bad. Erving is one of the worst players I have ever seen.
Posted By: Cjrae Re: Josh McCown...might be the Browns best QB. - 09/19/16 01:24 PM
Originally Posted By: PDXBrownsFan

He was hit as many times as he was because he holds the ball as long as possible.

He holds the ball way to long but listening to post game pressers, every player on this team respects him and sees him as their leader. He may just steady the ship for all the youth to learn along the way.

Question would be how long he can remain in there taking this many hits.

I do feel the line could do a bit better protecting him, even though he holds to long.

He is an excellent example to these young players looking to leadership to build their professional character.
Completely agree Cjrae.

Unfortunately, I fear we may hear news today that his MRI isn't good and he will be out for a bit. Miami are beatable as are the Redskins. Sure would be good to win a couple, get Josh & Armonty back and go against Brady and NE 2-2.
He holds the ball too long at times, but the OL---especially Erving---was bad. Erving is one of the worst players I have ever seen.

Oniel Cousins...bad?

Ray Farmer had 4 1st round picks and 14 overall picks in the top 4 rounds in two drafts, FOURTEEN. 4 of them are already gone. Bitonio is the only above average player, a Guard drafted 35th overall. There are some some useful players, but most of them are part time players. No difference maker out of four 1st round picks....and that's after TRich, Weeden and Mingo.

And then we pass Wentz for a WR who will never be a factor going over the middle of the field. So depressing
Originally Posted By: DjangoBrown
And then we pass Wentz for a WR who will never be a factor going over the middle of the field. So depressing
You have passed this judgement after the kid missed most of pre-season with an injury and has played 2 games in the NFL. This shows promise of a nice offensive weapon. It's way too early to pass judgement on his career path.
Posted By: Swish Re: Josh McCown...might be the Browns best QB. - 09/19/16 10:03 PM
Are you really complaining about a WR who had a 100 yard, 2TD game?
Posted By: Vambo Re: Josh McCown...might be the Browns best QB. - 09/20/16 01:21 AM
Browns' Josh McCown out with left shoulder injury; Cody Kessler will start vs. Dolphins

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/09/browns_josh_mccown_out_with_le.html#incart_2box

BEREA, Ohio — Another week, another Browns starting quarterback down with a left shoulder injury in Josh McCown. And now, the Browns are starting a rookie at quarterback in third-round pick Cody Kessler.

Barring a veteran quarterback coming in and taking over, Kessler will be the 26th quarterback to start for the Browns since 1999.

McCown, 37, is out indefinitely with the left shoulder injury suffered during Sunday's 25-20 loss to the Ravens, and Kessler will start Sunday against the Dolphins in Miami. McCown follows in the footsteps of Robert Griffin III, who's out at least 8-12 with a fractured left shoulder.

"Trust me, here we come,'' Hue Jackson said, playing off his draft day remarks to have faith in him on what seemed like a reach in the third round for Kessler. "We'll see what that statement was all about."

Jackson said McCown is week-to-week with his injury, but a league source told cleveland.com he's likely to miss multiple games. As a result, the Browns will look to add a veteran quarterback as soon as possible. The Browns are embarking on a grueling stretch of four of their next five games on the road, and they're already in the process of looking for an experienced quarterback.
© DawgTalkers.net