Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
The Browns have publicly said that they did not view Wentz as a top 20 qb. It was a moronic thing to say in public, but I guess that doesn't matter much.

What will matter is whether or not Wentz turns out to be good or not. At this point, we don't know either way.

Browns exec: We did not view Wentz as top-20 NFL QB

Yardbarker•Sep 5, 2016, 4:00 AM
link

Some questioned why the Cleveland Browns traded out of the No. 2 pick in the NFL Draft back in April despite needing a quarterback and knowing they’d be able to select Carson Wentz. The answer, according to the team’s football czar, is simply the fact that the Browns did not rate Wentz that highly.

Chief strategy officer Paul DePodesta said the Browns were motivated to trade the pick and stick with Robert Griffin III because they didn’t envision Wentz developing into a top-20 NFL quarterback at any point.

“We have to make judgments on the individual players and we’re not always going to be right,” DePodestatold Tony Grossi of ESPN Cleveland. “But in this particular case, we just didn’t feel it was necessarily the right bet to make for us at this time. Again, it comes down to individual evaluation of a player. We will not always be right on those type of things.

“I think the hardest part, and where we have to stay the most disciplined, as much as you want a player, you can’t invent him if he doesn’t exist. In a given year, there may be two or three NFL-ready quarterbacks at the college level. In another year, there literally may be zero. There just may be not be anybody in that year who’s good enough to be a top 20 quarterback in the NFL. Even though you have a desperate need for one, you have to resist the temptation of taking that guy just because you have a need if you don’t believe he’s one of those 20 guys at the end of the day. I think that’s the hardest part, just maintaining your discipline because you have the need. That’s what we did this year.”

The Philadelphia Eagles clearly feel differently about Wentz after giving up a huge parcel of draft picks to draft him, then turning the keys to the offense over to him immediately. It’s definitely a bit of a gamble by the Browns. If Wentz turns out to be a quality quarterback and Griffin is a failure in Cleveland, the Browns will be subjected to a lot of second-guessing.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I know you are not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I was referring to 19 saying that posters were suggesting that the Browns tank the season, when in fact, I can't find posters suggesting any such thing.

I have already explained it to you. You either can't read at all or are deliberately ignoring what my intent was.

If you can't read thru this thread and feel some want them to tank, I don't know what to say.That was the vibe I got and that's why I said what I did.

hope that meets your approval.

Last edited by E.Ryze19; 09/14/16 06:42 PM.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
I guess it's how you label things. What is it that the FO is doing? Some could say "building for the future." No problem w/that. However, if a poster says we might want to play Kessler because we should see what we got, than that poster is saying "we should tank the season?"

That's freaking odd.

And I suppose I have a real issue how you--and some others--are constantly bad-mouthing Brown's fans, as if they are the real problem. The Browns are damn lucky to have such a loyal fan base and I am sick of hearing guys like you bash the fans!

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
The Browns FO may still be right about Wentz. After all, he only looked good against US. We make just about any qb look good even the mediocre ones. frown

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
we have the most `dead money` or second most. if you get rid of starting safety and starting linebacker ...etc. it sorta is a rebuild mode/tank.

it would be better to have a younger player beat out a vet. we always get rid of a vet and claim we upgraded.

I`m good with Baker... Playoffs is good enough for me.
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
wentz is going against the bears next. i heard they have a worse secondary than ours.

I`m good with Baker... Playoffs is good enough for me.
S
All Pro
All Pro
S
If this front office is putting their eggs into drafting Deshawn Watson, they better make damn sure that he's far and away the best QB in that draft class. Because if they get that wrong, they may as well find new employment.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: lionchamp29
wentz is going against the bears next. i heard they have a worse secondary than ours.

which is mind boggling

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Schadenfreude
If this front office is putting their eggs into drafting Deshawn Watson, they better make damn sure that he's far and away the best QB in that draft class. Because if they get that wrong, they may as well find new employment.

every FO who selects a QB at #1 is basically putting their jobs on the line. If it's Watson, Kizer, or whoever, that's probably their fate one way or another.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
unless you're jeff fisher maybe haha

Legend
Legend
We are going to have the 1st and 2nd picks, and take Watson and Kizer, and let them fight it out. wink

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: mac
Quote:
Ah, that makes sense. Apologies to mac for misunderstanding his point.

cap...No apology necessary.

Appreciate it mac, but my response was based on a misunderstanding, so I feel better owning up to it.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Originally Posted By: lionchamp29

which is mind boggling

Is that even possible? Our secondary is... yikes.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
Per Schefter & Mort: "Browns sources say Kessler isn't close to being ready to play -- expectations for him aren't particularly high."

https://twitter.com/DawgsByNature/status/776400394628902912

Tackles are tackles.
D
Legend
Legend
D
That pick just never made sense from the start. Trust you Hue? Not on that one.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Schadenfreude

The problem is that will take maybe 3-4 years before they/we really know. Bradford and RGIII are good examples. I am not going to get in to the arguement on who is better. What is clear is that neither of those guys have lived up to their draft status, but they keep getting chances to fail. A low round draft picks get a chance or two, then they are done.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Quote:
Per Schefter & Mort: "Browns sources say Kessler isn't close to being ready to play -- expectations for him aren't particularly high."

so, that's not a good sign

Legend
Legend
not that I ever thought Kessler COULD play in the NFL

B
Legend
Legend
B

I haven't heard any talk, but it seems to me we might need to go through the scrap heap of FA qbs and at least get somebody who has thrown a football in a few NFL games.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

I haven't heard any talk, but it seems to me we might need to go through the scrap heap of FA qbs and at least get somebody who has thrown a football in a few NFL games.

I'm sure Jeff Garcia would pickup if someone rang his phone lol.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

No, it's not, but were you expecting Kessler to come in and become our QB savior? It would be nice, but I was never banking on that to happen. Now, who we take in the first round could very well be.

Edit: Just saw your follow up post.

Tackles are tackles.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB

Works for me....I was trying to find a list of FA players but can't find anything even close to being up to date. Not sure who is out there.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

No, it's not, but were you expecting Kessler to come in and become our QB savior? It would be nice, but I was never banking on that to happen. Now, who we take in the first round could very well be.

Edit: Just saw your follow up post.

Yeah, I mean he stinks. Most of us knew he stinks. It was a wasted pick (at least 99% sure). We could have gotten somebody better with that selection (you know, someone who could actually play?)

Legend
Legend
I remember honestly thinking that Kessler was drafted 3-4 rounds too early

Legend
Legend
What about trying to bring in Foles from the chiefs?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish
What about trying to bring in Foles from the chiefs?

I bet it would take more than we'd be willing to give up

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

The guys on this board talked and talked and talked about college qbs leading up to the draft.

Almost every single poster could have told the Browns that "...expectations for him aren't particularly high." LOL

We talked about Wentz, Goff, Lynch, Prescott, Cardale, Hackenberg, Cook, Brisset, Hogan, etc.............but there was very little talk of Kessler. I remember one guy mentioning him about a month or two before the draft.

I was shocked when the Browns took Kessler in the 3rd.

Again, it's early and things can change.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

The guys on this board talked and talked and talked about college qbs leading up to the draft.

Almost every single poster could have told the Browns that "...expectations for him aren't particularly high." LOL

We talked about Wentz, Goff, Lynch, Prescott, Cardale, Hackenberg, Cook, Brisset, Hogan, etc.............but there was very little talk of Kessler. I remember one guy mentioning him about a month or two before the draft.

I was shocked when the Browns took Kessler in the 3rd.

Again, it's early and things can change.

Yeah, I think most on here would concur. I've said for years we could draft on this board with way more success than we've had since 99 ... not even close IMO

B
Legend
Legend
B
Lets don't get carried away. It's one thing to dink around on a message board and an entirely different deal when you are doing it for real and all eyes are trained on your actions.

It might be fair to say we couldn't have done worse.

Last edited by Ballpeen; 09/15/16 09:41 AM.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B

Another name that came up on another board is Josh Freeman....he is 28-29 years old, was a former #1 pick.

I just think we need to have more than Kessler and the praqctice squad guy....can't think of his name at the moment....Hogan!! That's it.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

Another name that came up on another board is Josh Freeman....he is 28-29 years old, was a former #1 pick.

I just think we need to have more than Kessler and the praqctice squad guy....can't think of his name at the moment....Hogan!! That's it.

Did Aaron Murray get picked up?

D
Legend
Legend
D
I just want to go on record and make clear I should've used the purple font on the Garcia comment. Lol.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
I like McCown and he is pretty good. There is only one problem with him...He doesn't win. thumbsdown

We are terrible
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Goose7
I like McCown and he is pretty good. There is only one problem with him...He doesn't win. thumbsdown

He's got 100% nothing to do with the defense that surrenders points to anyone and everyone.

Legend
Legend

He's got 100% nothing to do with the defense that surrenders points to anyone and everyone.

100% of that statement means nothing. The average score for NFL games are 29 points for the winner 18 points for the loser. We rarely score over 18 points. Do the math. We lose because we typically can't generate enough offensive momentum, plain and simple.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
100% nothing

LOL, that's awesome! I'm going to borrow that statement when I get into an argument w/my wife. wink grin

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:
100% nothing

LOL, that's awesome! I'm going to borrow that statement when I get into an argument w/my wife. wink grin

Haha, I'd be weary of the backlash hehe... them women are more violent and brutal than some linebackers in the nfl laugh

Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral

100% of that statement means nothing. The average score for NFL games are 29 points for the winner 18 points for the loser. We rarely score over 18 points. Do the math. We lose because we typically can't generate enough offensive momentum, plain and simple.

Is 29 points really the average?? Wow. Definitely shuts down what I said. But, when I look at the 2015 season, there's like nine games we gave up more than 29 points. When one assumes our defense is likely worse than that, I think what I said makes some sense. Won't matter how many we score when our D will let people roll them.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I thought Kessler was going to go undrafted but Hue got his pick. RG3 was also the Hue decision. Kapernick was a Hue selection, FO just failed to pull the trade. While hue may be the QB whisperer, he sure as hell isnt the QB Evaluator.

This regime appears to have an eye for D talent but out of all those offensive selections not a single one on offense is showing that they belong in the NFL. Right now, looking like backups at best. Even our top 15 #1 receive looking more like a 5th receiver than a top 2 guy.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
100% nothing

Haha, I'd be weary of the backlash hehe... them women are more violent and brutal than some linebackers in the nfl laugh

Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral

Is 29 points really the average?? Wow. Definitely shuts down what I said. But, when I look at the 2015 season, there's like nine games we gave up more than 29 points. When one assumes our defense is likely worse than that, I think what I said makes some sense. Won't matter how many we score when our D will let people roll them.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/64441086/nfl-statistical-analysis-average-nfl-game

thumbsup

The final score will be 29.0 to 17.8. Via Pro Football Reference's game length data, all this will take 3 hours, 10 minutes and 34 seconds, 100 percent of which you will never get back.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
....he is 28-29 years old, was a former #1 pick.

So is Brady Quinn (ok, he's 31... but, same difference).

Actually. that's not a bad idea - somebody call Quinn and bring him in!

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Josh McCown...might be the Browns best QB.

Link Copied to Clipboard