DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: oobernoober Training Camp 2021 - 07/27/21 02:07 PM
Might as well start a thread. Here's a fluff article with a good video embedded within. Higgins is certainly motivated.

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2021/07/26/cleveland-browns-rashard-higgins-looks-ready-ahead-camp/
Posted By: bonefish Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/27/21 02:23 PM

I am disappointed that JOK tested positive.

Every person affiliated with the Cleveland Browns has access to the most complete and informative information regarding covid.

The league has made it's position clear.

I have been probably the most vocal person on the Board about how high I value JOK as a player and person. He is probably my favorite draft pick.

However, frankly I am disappointed in any player on the team who has not gotten vaccinated.

It is about the player sure. But it is also about his teammates. He has a responsibility to them as well as himself. It matters not that he is asymptomatic.

He is going to miss ten days. That is important in itself no matter virtual meetings.

He is a rookie. Someone who is trying to contribute to a team.

Not happy about this.

Posted By: oobernoober Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/27/21 02:53 PM
https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/spor...ist/8087067002/

Do we know he hasn't gotten vaccinated? I've only read 2 articles on it, and I don't recall either ever specifying if he'd gotten a shot. Breakthrough infections are definitely a thing. The article above doesn't even officially state he's tested positive (it's a pretty safe assumption, but point is that we really don't know much hard information on JOK's status).

MKC Update on JOK - read below for the highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvjYIe-1WZs

-she's "gotten the vibe" that he has tested positive... but my point is they don't actually know. This means he'll be back in 10 days.

-he can work out on his own, he's not completely 'shut down' like last year

That's it.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/27/21 03:08 PM

They will probably not disclose if he was vaccinated or not.

However, if he was vaccinated he can return early if he can test negative twice in 24 hours.

If he is out ten days. Most likely he was not vaccinated.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/27/21 03:12 PM
He's also asymptomatic apparently. I know that some people (Bill Maher?) have tested positive after being vaccinated, but don't experience any symptoms.

All just pure banter on my part.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/27/21 04:34 PM
Yup, and that's all that we can really do, as all we are 100% sure about is that he's on the list. A reasonable assumption seems to be that he tested positive, but we really don't even know that at this point.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/27/21 04:47 PM
j/c:

Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/27/21 04:52 PM
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/27/21 04:53 PM
The fact Delpit is 100% is nothing short of amazing.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/27/21 05:16 PM
I hadn't heard that JOK tested positive for Covid. Did I miss it?
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/27/21 05:28 PM

The Cleveland Browns and News 5, the team's official flagship TV station for preseason games and exclusive year-round programming, announced today that veteran broadcaster Tom McCarthy and former Browns All-Pro left tackle Joe Thomas will call Cleveland's preseason games at the Jacksonville Jaguars (7 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 14) and against the New York Giants (1 p.m., Sunday, Aug. 22).

McCarthy, whose impressive résumé includes a vast number of live television and radio broadcasts across the NFL, MLB, college sports and more, will provide play-by-play while Thomas will serve as the in-game analyst. The duo will be supported by Browns Senior Media Broadcaster and Cleveland Browns Daily co-host Nathan Zegura reporting from the sidelines.

"It gives me chills just thinking about being back in Cleveland and being able to call the Browns' preseason games," said Thomas. "This team, this city and these fans have all had a huge impact on my life, and being paired with a veteran broadcaster like Tom McCarthy just adds to the excitement. The Browns accomplished some great things last year, and I'm looking forward to being there as they build on that success for 2021."

"It is my honor to join Joe and Nathan this year for the Browns preseason games," McCarthy shared. "Joe was one of my favorites to interview during his years as a player so to be paired with him in the booth is tremendous. Kevin Stefanski and the rest of the Browns staff and players were a lot of fun last year, and I am excited to see what they have in store for their fans, the AFC North and the National Football League in 2021 and beyond."

Thomas is currently an NFL Network analyst who contributes to various NFL Media programs, including as a member of the group's Thursday Night Football production. With the Browns, he was a 10-time Pro Bowl selection and played every offensive snap at left tackle (NFL-record 10,363 consecutive) during his 11-year career. He is a two-time Browns Walter Payton Man of the Year honoree (2010 and 2016), which recognizes a player's excellence in the community and on-field performance.

In 2019, Browns preseason games airing on News 5 posted a 20.5 average Nielsen household rating in the region, the sixth-highest such figure among NFL markets for that year.

Returning for their 23rd consecutive season together, longtime voice of the Browns Jim Donovan and Browns Legend Doug Dieken will anchor each gameday radio broadcast throughout the preseason and regular season. The games will continue to air through a special triplecast on Audacy's 92.3 The Fan (WKRK-FM) and sister station 98.5 WNCX (WNCX-FM) and Good Karma Brands' 850 ESPN Cleveland, as well as across the University Hospitals Cleveland Browns Radio Network.

Prior to each preseason game, Browns fans can also tune into News 5 for "Browns Countdown," hosted by Jon Doss and Zegura. The 30-minute program provides exclusive Browns content and interviews each week heading into kickoff.

Through the partnership, the Browns and News 5 have collaborated to deliver special behind-the-scenes access to fans throughout Northeast Ohio and the world, including three-time Emmy Award winning docu-series "Building the Browns;" weekly preview and pregame shows during the regular season; special looks into training camp and the draft; and more.

The NFL adjusted its preseason schedule from four to three games after expanding the regular season schedule to 17 games. AFC teams will play nine regular season home games and one preseason home game in 2021 and will flip to eight regular season home games and two preseason home games in 2022. That pattern will rotate between the conferences over the following years.

2021 Cleveland Browns Schedule
PRESEASON
Week 1 – Saturday, Aug. 14 - at Jacksonville Jaguars – 7:00 p.m./News 5 Cleveland
Week 2 – Sunday, Aug. 22 - New York Giants – 1:00 p.m./News 5 Cleveland
Week 3 - Sunday, Aug. 29 – at Atlanta Falcons – 8:00 p.m./NBC

REGULAR SEASON
Week 1: Sept. 12 – at Kansas City Chiefs – 4:25 p.m./CBS
Week 2: Sept. 19 – Houston Texans – 1:00 p.m./CBS
Week 3: Sept. 26 – Chicago Bears – 1:00 p.m./FOX
Week 4: Oct. 3 - at Minnesota Vikings – 1:00 p.m./CBS
Week 5: Oct. 10 – at Los Angeles Chargers – 4:05 p.m./CBS
Week 6: Oct. 17 – Arizona Cardinals – 4:05 p.m./FOX
Week 7: Oct. 21 (Thu) - Denver Broncos – 8:20 p.m./ FOX-NFLN-Amazon
Week 8: Oct. 31 - Pittsburgh Steelers – 1:00 p.m./CBS
Week 9: Nov. 7 – at Cincinnati Bengals – 1:00 p.m./CBS
Week 10: Nov. 14 – at New England Patriots – 1:00 p.m./CBS
Week 11: Nov. 21 – Detroit Lions – 1:00 p.m./FOX
Week 12: Nov. 28 – at Baltimore Ravens - 8:20 p.m./NBC
Week 13: BYE
Week 14: Dec. 12 - Baltimore Ravens - 1:00 p.m./CBS
Week 15: Dec. 18 or 19 - Las Vegas Raiders – TBD/TBD
Week 16: Dec. 25 - at Green Bay – 4:30 p.m.- FOX-NFLN-Amazon
Week 17: Jan. 3 (Mon) - at Pittsburgh Steelers – 8:15 p.m./ESPN
Week 18: Jan 9 – Cincinnati Bengals – 1:00 p.m./CBS

Sunday night games in Weeks 5-17 subject to change; Week 18 TBD
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/27/21 05:55 PM
Veterans reporting to Berea for Training Camp today! This is how excited I am.

Posted By: Pdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/27/21 06:09 PM
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
I hadn't heard that JOK tested positive for Covid. Did I miss it?

Yes, you missed it. He said he has had no symptoms.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/27/21 06:13 PM
Training camp preview: 5 positions with questions and that are critical to success

https://www.brownszone.com/2021/07/27/tr...cal-to-success/

Position battles are a staple of training camp.

Two men, sometimes more, show up with a starting job, or roster spot, on the line. The pressure is as intense as the summer heat, and the scrutiny magnified depending on the position and the competitors.

The 2021 Browns aren’t an exception. They will have noteworthy battles, particularly on defense, when camp opens Wednesday.

(The offense returns all 11 starters and nearly all its key backups. The only new faces to make the roster on that side of the ball may be a trio of rookies — third-round receiver Anthony Schwartz, fourth-round lineman James Hudson III and sixth-round receiver/running back Demetric Felton.)

But with Super Bowl expectations providing the backdrop, this camp is about more than a few individual battles. Here are five positions to watch, as they’ll have major implications on whether the Browns can reach their vast potential.

WHO AND WHEN?

The unknowns at linebacker are fascinating. There are so many questions to answer.

How often will coordinator Joe Woods use his base defense that requires three linebackers? What about the two-linebacker nickel and one-linebacker dime?

Is there one linebacker who will stay on the field in every situation, and is that free agent pickup Anthony Walker Jr., rookie second-round pick Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah or Jacob Phillips, a third-round pick in 2020?

How quickly will Owusu-Koramoah move into the rotation, and will the timeline be delayed because he’ll miss the start of camp on the COVID-19 list?

Are there spots for Sione Takitaki, Mack Wilson and Malcolm Smith?

General manager Andrew Berry recognized a weakness at the middle level of the defense a year ago. He signed Walker in March then drafted Owusu-Koramoah out of Notre Dame and Tony Fields II out of West Virginia in the fifth round. The fast, undersized rookies fit what Woods wants on the weak side.

Walker, Phillips and Owusu-Koramoah are locks to make the roster. They’re also likely to get the most playing time. Takitaki makes sense as the strongside starter in the base, and Fields figures to stick because he’s part of the rookie class.

That leaves Wilson, Smith, Elijah Lee and Montrel Meander fighting for a spot or two.

Woods will mix and match personnel groupings through camp and the preseason. The combinations he settles on will be expected to connect the line and the secondary and be efficient vs. the run and the pass.

Training camp preview: 5 storylines to follow

BIG GUYS, BIG GOALS

The defense has the talent to become a top-10 unit in the NFL. It won’t get there unless the line dominates.

End Myles Garrett was an All-Pro a year ago despite being sidelined and weakened by COVID-19. He performed like the Defensive Player of the Year early in the season — five sacks and three forced fumbles from Weeks 2-4 — and should make a serious run at the award he covets again this year.

He’s not enough. Ends Jadeveon Clowney, the No. 1 pick in 2014, and Takkarist McKinley, the No. 26 pick in 2017, were signed to take pressure off Garrett and take advantage of his presence on the other side. Clowney and McKinley ended last season on injured reserve and must prove they’re up to the task of replacing Olivier Vernon, who was more than solid at the second end spot last year.

Tackle saw even more turnover. Gone are starters Sheldon Richardson and Larry Ogunjobi, and Jordan Elliott, a third-round pick in 2020, is the only holdover.

Free agent pickups Malik Jackson and Andrew Billings, who opted out of last season, are expected to start in the base defense. Jackson can also rush the passer from the inside on third down and move to end on early downs for a more powerful front.

The other tackle options are unproven but intriguing. Rookie Tommy Togiai, a fourth-round pick out of Ohio State, is powerful and a potential playmaker. Malik McDowell is a former second-round pick who’s never played in the NFL after a series of off-field issues. And rookie Marvin Wilson was a priority signing after the draft.

SNAP TO IT

The offense had to grab a spot on this list, and it goes to the receivers.

Odell Beckham Jr. and Jarvis Landry, if healthy, will get the bulk of the repetitions, but the competition is stiff for the scraps of snaps.

Rashard Higgins, KhaDarel Hodge and Donovan Peoples-Jones spent time as the Nos. 2 and 3 wideouts last year and are joined by Schwartz, the rookie speedster. I’d expect coach Kevin Stefanski to go with more three-receiver sets and less two- and three-tight end formations to take advantage of the wideout talent, but how he divides the playing time remains to be seen.

At least one of Higgins, Hodge, Peoples-Jones and Schwartz will likely be a healthy scratch depending on the opponent and game plan. Whether one emerges as a clear-cut No. 3 will be worth watching in camp.

THE LAST LINE

Woods made his career as a defensive backs coach and will build the defense and scheme around the backend. He couldn’t do that a year ago because of significant injuries and a lack of depth across the secondary but has a restocked cabinet.

The key question at cornerback is where first-round rookie Greg Newsome II fits. Will he beat out Greedy Williams, who’s returning from a nerve injury in his shoulder that sidelined him for all of 2020? If not, can Newsome slide into the slot and play ahead of free agent pickup Troy Hill?

Newsome would seem to have the edge on Williams because of his draft status (No. 26), but Williams was the 46th pick in 2019, started 12 games as a rookie and is 2 inches taller at 6-foot-2.

At safety, John Johnson III should be on the field for every snap after signing a three-year, $33.75 million deal as a free agent. Woods will use plenty of three-safety sets, but when he goes with two he’ll have to pick between Grant Delpit and Ronnie Harrison Jr.

Delpit, the No. 44 pick in 2020, missed all of his rookie season with a torn Achilles tendon. If he’s healthy, he figures to play a bunch. But Harrison made a good impression last year after arriving in a trade before the season.

KICKIN’ IT

Camp practices have a rhythm. When the 11-on-11 drills stop, many observers grab a drink or check their phone.

Not this year. The special teams deserve attention.

The Browns generated little in the return game a year ago, and will look for the guy or guys to provide a jolt. Veteran JoJo Natson is back after sustaining a torn anterior cruciate ligament last season but will be challenged by Felton, Schwartz and holdovers Peoples-Jones, running back D’Ernest Johnson and receiver Ryan Switzer.

There’s also a battle at kicker. Cody Parkey was solid last year, going 19-for-22 on field goals and 43-for-47 on extra points, but the Browns wanted him to get stronger. Chase McLaughlin has the chance to steal the job, one that gains importance with the Browns expected to play a load of meaningful games again this year.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/27/21 06:18 PM

I love that movie.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/27/21 08:03 PM
j/c:

Posted By: bonefish Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/27/21 08:20 PM

Never mentioned Hill, Harrison, Redwine, MJ Stewart, AJ Green, Robert Jackson,
Richard LeCounte III this year pick.

JJ3, Harrison, Delpit, LeCounte

Ward, Hill, Greedy, Newsome,

Redwine, MJ Stewart, AJ Green, Jackson fighting for a spot.

If the guy is going to talk about our secondary at least know the complete roster.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/27/21 11:46 PM
Originally Posted By: bonefish

If the guy is going to talk about our secondary at least know the complete roster.

True.. But for what he did say, he's basically right.. We don't no what we'll have in Delpit or Newsome or for that matter Greedy. Neither has taken an NFL snap.... I have high hopes, but that's all they are,, high hopes..
Posted By: bonefish Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/28/21 12:02 AM

What we know is where they were drafted which of course includes all the research why.

We know JJ3 will be the FS. The second safety and third will be determined but Harrison will play.

Ward is one corner. The second, third, and fourth?
Camp.

They know Newsome and Greedy.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/28/21 12:04 AM

Good news about covid.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/28/21 01:15 AM
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/28/21 01:37 AM

In reality, he really only missed Hill and Harrison.
The rest are battling for backup spots and roster spots. They *should* be too deep on the depth chart to worry about, or have any significant determiner on how this secondary is as a whole.

Beyond that, what he says is completely accurate. This defense will go the way this secondary goes. If all of the guys that are question marks turn into studs, this will be the best secondary in the league and the defense will be a nightmare for opponents. If enough of those question marks turn into Sendejo-level contributors, then we're right back where we were last season with a Swiss cheese defense.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/28/21 10:17 AM
Good early news with guys able to practice. Especially for Greedy, Delpit, and OBJ
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/28/21 12:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Pdawg

Good news about covid.

Does that include JOK?
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/28/21 12:44 PM

I know, right!? Because they are all gonna start and/or make the team! Let's have PFF break them all down in a 60 second clip. poke
Posted By: bonefish Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/28/21 02:48 PM

You missed the point.

He mentioned the question marks of Newsome, Greedy, and Delpit.

Ok there are questions there. But it is not like they are unknown to the staff.

Also, Hill is one of the highest rated slot corners.

Harrison has played for us. And he has played well.

So no I don't expect him to breakdown guys who are fighting for roster spots.

However, IMO are secondary is pretty solid without the question marks.

In addition I think you can take it to the bank that Newsome, Greedy or both will play and play well.

Posted By: Pdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/28/21 05:36 PM

Good news about covid.

Does that include JOK?

No, it doesn't. JOK is still in protocol.
Posted By: BCbrownie Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/28/21 07:31 PM
English is a difficult language.The word "ADDS" could mean so much.
Posted By: tastybrownies Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/28/21 07:54 PM
Does anyone know how to get tickets for a training camp session?

Maybe that ship has sailed awhile ago. I miss the old days where I could just decide the night before that I was going to hop in the car next morning! First come first serve.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/28/21 08:00 PM
Originally Posted By: tastybrownies
Does anyone know how to get tickets for a training camp session?

Maybe that ship has sailed awhile ago. I miss the old days where I could just decide the night before that I was going to hop in the car next morning! First come first serve.

Yeah, we were just talking about that. The trade off being they no longer suck. So... there's that.
Posted By: tastybrownies Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/28/21 08:50 PM
I guess that's an acceptable trade off. thumbsup

I wonder if the ticket thing is what other teams do and I'm just not used to it since we've been bad for so long.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/28/21 10:13 PM
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/28/21 10:25 PM
Don't over-do trying to prove yourself on Day 1, kid. You've got the rest of Summer thru mid-Winter for that.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/28/21 11:00 PM
Quote:
Ward is one corner.

Well, at least 2/3rds of one.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/28/21 11:44 PM
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/28/21 11:50 PM
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/29/21 12:07 AM
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/29/21 02:28 AM
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/29/21 07:07 AM
Baker was a little short with that pass.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/29/21 10:24 AM
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
Baker was a little short with that pass.

I was thinking the same, but I think QB's are instructed to do that these days. You just don't see many deep passes overhthrown anymore.

I suppose the thinking is if the ball is in stride or overhtrown, you eliminate the possibility of defensive pass inteference.

You also reduce the percentage of a incomplete pass. If it's overthrown, it's overthrown. If it's underthrown, the receiver has a chance to adjust to make the catch or draw a interference call.

You don't just see this with the Browns and Baker. You see it across the league.

As much as I like to see that in stride bomb completion, it makes sense. Anything to increase the odds of advancing the football is what they are going to do.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/29/21 11:40 AM

And so it begins ...
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/29/21 03:18 PM
Also .... it's day 1 of training camp, and practice between a rookie WR and his QB.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/29/21 05:06 PM
Posted By: bonefish Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/29/21 06:33 PM

Walker had that role with the Colts.

So this will be nothing new for him.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/29/21 06:52 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/29/21 07:05 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/29/21 07:44 PM
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/29/21 07:55 PM
ummm.... Parkey missed all of his kicks... eek
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/29/21 08:17 PM
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/29/21 09:16 PM
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/29/21 11:47 PM
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
ummm.... Parkey missed all of his kicks... eek

Seriously????? ... oh my gosh.

(Is Blake Haubiel going to be cut by the Titans?)

The one thing, logically, analytics, one would think, would be able to find the best at, is the angle and trajectory of kicks and punts and stuff.
Yet Last year after week #1, and today week #1 is 45 days out and consistently the kicker situation is a trainwreck.

46 yarders or less should "feel" like it's a given it's going in. You should be surprised at a miss, not "oh yeah we knew that was coming."

(If your team is projected to win 4 games all year, the over under is 4 and a half wins in vegas, Those Years<
Those years having a bad kicker wouldn't be the reason you missed the playoffs.
But in a year where your team is on the Brink of winning something big, it's magnified.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/30/21 12:49 AM
j/c...

Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/30/21 01:14 AM
Mack Wilson attached himself to Anthony Walker and has improved: Browns Training Camp Day 2 takeaways

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/07...-takeaways.html

By Mary Kay Cabot, cleveland.com
CLEVELAND, Ohio — Browns linebacker Mack Wilson, who was in jeopardy of being on the bubble this summer when the Browns added some weakside linebackers, has attached himself at the hip to middle linebacker Anthony Walker, and has earned the first-team weakside reps at the start of camp.

When the Browns drafted Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah and Tony Fields II, and re-signed Malcolm Smith, it looked like Wilson might have to battle his way onto the roster. But when Walker came on board as a free agent from the Colts, Wilson was smart enough to latch on and absorb some of his wisdom and knowledge.

As a result, Wilson had an excellent spring and impressed the coaching staff, including defensive coordinator Joe Woods, who values veteran experience. Wilson has also gotten even more of a chance to shine early in camp because Owusu-Koramoah is on the COVID-19 reserve list, and Fields is sidelined with his second foot injury since before rookie camp.

“Mack is in a great place,’’ Stefanski said. “He’s working really, really hard. He had a great offseason. Both physically and mentally what he did within the scheme, I thought he did a nice job. He’s out here, and I think we can’t look too much into who’s running with the ones. This is a competition, and we’re all competing. Now, we are going to start in one place, but everybody is fighting for those jobs every single day. Mack is doing a nice job.”

Walker, a four-year veteran of the Colts, is such a great leader that he distributes his notes on the opponent to his teammates to help them prepare. He’s made such an influence on Wilson that he’s got an excellent of chance of not only making the team, but contributing a lot or even starting early on.

The Browns hope that Owusu-Koramoah will ultimately win the starting job, but he’ll have some catching up to do after he comes off the COVID-19 list presumably next week. The good thing is that Owusu-Koramoah has been asymptomatic and he’s been able to work out and stay in shape.

As for Wilson, he missed the first three games of last season after suffering a hyperextended knee, and didn’t have the year he hoped.

Greedy Williams back on the field after heat-related issue

Williams was back on the field Thursday after leaving with a trainer Wednesday with a heat-related issue.

“The trainers just said I looked suspicious, so they pulled me,’’ Williams tweeted Wednesday night. “I feel great and I’m excited to be back out there.’’

The medical staff noticed that Williams, who sat out all last season with axillary damage in his shoulder, looked awkward in some drills and reacted quickly. They’re being extra cautious with him and other players coming off injuries and surgeries this season. It’s why they rested Odell Beckham Jr., Grant Delpit and JoJo Natson on Thursday.

Donovan Peoples-Jones makes the most of his chances

With Beckham and Higgins (rolled ankle) idle on Thursday, second-year pro Donovan Peoples-Jones made the most of his extra reps. Baker Mayfield is excited about his development, and the Browns expect him to take a big step up.

“Donovan did a nice job for us last year as a rookie,’’ Stefanski said. “You saw his role grow throughout the course of the season. A very intelligent football player, and we knew that from the jump with him. He could line up everywhere and do his job. We’re looking forward to seeing what he can do, as he grows and get gets more comfortable with what we’re doing.”

Lamar Jackson still idle

While Mayfield works on his timing with all of his receivers, his Ravens’ counterpart, Lamar Jackson has missed the first two days of camp after testing for positive for COVID-19. Coach John Harbaugh declined to provide an update Thursday on Jackson’s status, and there’s a chance he might have to quarantine for 10 days if he’s unvaccinated.

If that’s the case, it marks a big setback for the Ravens, who have added two new receivers in Rashod Batemen and Sammy Watkins, and three new offensive linemen in Kevin Zeitler, Alejandro Villanueva and third-round pick Ben Cleveland.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/30/21 02:12 AM
Didn't Lamar get hit with the Rona during last season? Or did they decide to call it the flu?
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/30/21 02:38 AM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Didn't Lamar get hit with the Rona during last season? Or did they decide to call it the flu?

yeah and he had the vaccine.
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/30/21 11:49 AM
IMO I see no way that Wilson or Taki make the team. I feel that neither is worthy of a roster spot. I cannot stand LB's who miss tackles and they both missed to many for my liking.

I don't care how many pieces that are written on either if they are still on the team after camp I would be of the opinion that we still have some work to do on our defensive lineup. I felt the team was lacking on tackling last year in general, and I sure hope that really is an area were we show a great deal of improvement. Phillips when it comes to LB's was our best tackler last year and that boy has some wheels I watched him go from the middle area of the defense while chasing Jackson down, and when he got there he hit Jackson as hard as I have ever seen him hit. I really like Phillips if he can manage to stay healthy he may turn out to be a stud, and we need a stud with speed at LB.

Long story short I am very curious to see where Philips is in terms of his development this year.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/30/21 12:18 PM
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg

Not during the regular season he didn't.. There was no vaccine plan before late December
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/30/21 12:26 PM
Where are you getting that he was vaccinated?
Posted By: bonefish Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/30/21 12:59 PM

This camp is huge for both Wilson and Taki.

It comes down to their future with the team.

I will let competition decide their futures.

We have an interesting mix at linebacker now.

Once the season begins I think we will all see the improvement from the unit.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/30/21 01:20 PM
The feeling I got on that Wilson article is that they're trying to shine him up for a potential post-camp trade. Taki I can see sticking around as depth/ST.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/30/21 06:18 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/30/21 06:21 PM
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/30/21 07:05 PM
Oh look Carson Glass Wentz is out indefinitely

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/3192...-injury-sources
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/30/21 09:43 PM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Also .... it's day 1 of training camp, and practice between a rookie WR and his QB.

I agree with that as well. Baker has to get used to Schwartz's speed.

I still think coaches want to QB to throw it a bit on the "under" on deep balls....say over 35 yards.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/30/21 10:52 PM

Not during the regular season he didn't.. There was no vaccine plan before late December

searhced. (NFL.com) Nov. 26th 2020, Lamar Jackson was among 4 Ravens to test positive for Covid-19 for Thanksgiving, per Ian Rappaport.
Also.
Lamar Jackon tests positive for Covid, will be out 10 days, (2 days ago, so July 28th 2021.)

So, Prpl's point I think is, (Or I'm going to make the point from his information)

Lamar Jackson should have had antibody immunity to Covid from the previous known reported positive test near last Thanksgiving in 2020 November 26th, meaning he won't catch covid a 2nd time, because all the people on one side of the issue, (many of em)
often argue, Ya' can't catch covid if you already had it therefore there's no reason to get the shot. <their argument.

"Yeah and he had the vaccine"

The post following, Dawglover05 asks, how can anyone prove he had the vaccine? gist.

If Lamar Jackson also had the vaccine, (when it became available), that is a 2nd reason he should not have re-contracted the disease covid because we know from NFL.com that Lamar tested positive Nov. 26th-ish of 2020.

So he would have the 'Already had covid immunity plus the also, Took the shot got the vaccine immunity, but here he is, reported 2 days ago, He tested positive.

How can we know if Lamar Jackson received the vaccine since the NFL, Media, and powers that be won't allow this personal info to be spoken? Simple!
The NFL has rules against the unvaccinated giving in person interviews which have been in place the last 60-90 days.

If any NFL player has given an in person interview, or really any interview at all, (I think is the rule), in the last 30-60-90 days, then we can know that player has received the vaccine, at least the first shot for sure.

As time marches on with this interview rule it will become more apparent who is not giving interviews, and thus apparent who is not vaccinated, (and who is giving tons of interviews is most definetly must be vaccinated.)

Edit: June 16th 2021
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-n...ose-vaccinated/

From the last paragraph.
The New NFL and NFLPA memos permit fully vaccinated media and team members to conduct in person interviews for the first time in 20 months. gist.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/30/21 11:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Baker has to get used to Schwartz's speed.

Baker quarterbacked the Browns who won 12 games last year. Schwartz, is a rookie whose team didn't make the college playoff last year.
Schwartz should have to get where he needs to be, so we don't have to make excuses for why he can't come down with a catch.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/31/21 05:29 PM
Is it possible to have a thread on this board that doesn't devolve into the same argument between the same posters about COVID?!!!
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/31/21 05:50 PM
Yeah, that's fair. I'll try to keep my posts within the realm of Pure Football (even when talking COVID).
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/31/21 07:36 PM
Posted By: FATE Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/31/21 07:42 PM
HE'S GREAT, he sucks... HE'S GREAT, he sucks...

Such is the life of a kicker in the NFL.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/31/21 10:15 PM
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/31/21 10:16 PM
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/31/21 10:22 PM
I was looking for an article that says he wasn't vaccinated.. Couldn't find one.. do you have it.
Posted By: vadawgfan07 Re: Training Camp 2021 - 07/31/21 10:54 PM
Is there any word about McDowell at DT? Someone posted about 20 minutes of video from training camp and in every clip he was standing on the sidelines. They were swapping guys in and out but I failed to see him in on any drills. I was hoping he would make the team but from what I saw it doesn't bode well. Maybe I just missed it and those that were at practice saw something different?
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/01/21 12:32 AM
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/01/21 11:39 AM
It should be a pretty good camp battle. I think less than half the kickers in the league are a lock to make the team, but no doubt coaches like the experience factor which gives the incumbent a big edge.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/01/21 01:06 PM

Nathan Zegura and Ken Carman are on set from Browns Training camp as practice four is underway.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/02/21 01:07 PM
I can't tell you how happy it makes me to see Green start to show something big. This was the first guy Berry gave a very lucrative UDFA contract to. Big money to get him here, and then patience to let it develop and now we're seeing something.

Not only did we get our guys in FA and Newsome in the draft, but we might be adding another stud to the secondary for a couple bucks from last offseason.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/02/21 01:42 PM
I can't tell you how happy it makes me to see Green start to show something big. This was the first guy Berry gave a very lucrative UDFA contract to. Big money to get him here, and then patience to let it develop and now we're seeing something.

Not only did we get our guys in FA and Newsome in the draft, but we might be adding another stud to the secondary for a couple bucks from last offseason.

I am right there with you! thumbsup thumbsup The "good" teams seem to find these guys every now and then. Thinking through what it takes for a guy - any guy - to pan out...there needs to be a process:

Discover the right guy(s)...not just talent. The package. Smart, tough accountable.

Signing the guy. Yes...he was a UDFA...but a highly sought-after UDFA. The right story...the right plan...the right $$$.

Last but not least...does/did the guy actually IMPROVE? Do you have the process, plan and coaching to get the guy where you thought he could get when you identified his abilities?

Executing on those three things does not happen by accident.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/02/21 02:01 PM
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/02/21 02:45 PM
Previously, we would've forced him into a starting/almost starting role way too early and burned him out. We had guys in front of him to to allow him to grow his first season.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/02/21 06:42 PM
and just like that Carson Wentz is probably back on IR
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/3194...rank-reich-says
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/02/21 06:52 PM
Whatever you do, don't ask Anthony Walker about it.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/02/21 09:06 PM
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/02/21 09:32 PM
Hoping Walker is ok.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/02/21 10:53 PM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Whatever you do, don't ask Anthony Walker about it.

LOL True Dat
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/03/21 06:59 PM

Starts at 3:30
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/03/21 07:18 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/03/21 07:21 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/03/21 07:49 PM
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Back on the field
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/03/21 09:41 PM
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/03/21 10:11 PM
j/c...

Posted By: Pdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/04/21 01:27 AM
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/04/21 03:20 AM
Originally Posted By: TrooperDawg
Hoping Walker is ok.

Walker is week to week per the Browns podcast. Which is good news they say.
Wait I say?

I remember Greedy Williams was week to week prior to the opener in 2020 and I don't think he played a snap all year.

Looked into the Browns media.
The Browns media often goes on a tangent on a player and never mentions the players name except under their breath at the beginning of a 90 second diatride of cliché phrases.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/04/21 10:17 AM
Good news from Breer there. Love seeing the good comments about DPJ and Johnson.
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/04/21 12:04 PM
Wilson needs to learn how to tackle, that was my gripe with him last season and until they say he is hitting the hole and actually putting people on the ground he can re-tool his body all he wants but until he learns to tackle I pass on him. I grew very frustrated with Wilson and Taki last year to many times I saw them in a position to make a play and whiff.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/04/21 12:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone
Wilson needs to learn how to tackle, that was my gripe with him last season and until they say he is hitting the hole and actually putting people on the ground he can re-tool his body all he wants but until he learns to tackle I pass on him. I grew very frustrated with Wilson and Taki last year to many times I saw them in a position to make a play and whiff.

I can't say I disagree.

However, at Bama Wilson didn't have that problem, so I am not sure why that seems to be a problem now. Saban is a pretty good defensive coach. You don't play for him unless you are pretty good. At Bama he looked every bit the part.

No doubt something needs to start clicking for the guy. Maybe it is scheme, maybe the newness of the NFL? I don't know but the bulb needs to turn on.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/04/21 12:42 PM
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/04/21 12:44 PM
Sounds like we lost a drone. No word on the depth we have there.
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/04/21 01:00 PM
j/c:

Great headline (at least for our D):

Myles Garrett and Jadeveon Clowney are unblockable with pads on -- What we learned from Day 6 of Browns camp: Ellis L. Williams

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/08...rowns-camp.html
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/04/21 01:08 PM
FIRE CALLAHAN!!!

/lol
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/04/21 01:09 PM
He's going into his 3rd year. Doesn't that make him a veteran at this point?
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/04/21 01:17 PM
It seems like he wants to try and make highlight reel plays every now and then. He's definitely "marketed" himself coming out of college and buys into a hype machine. I'm hoping that, with more time under this coaching staff, he just focuses on fundamentals and the game rather than his brand (or lack thereof).
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/04/21 01:19 PM
Quote:
I remember Greedy Williams was week to week prior to the opener in 2020 and I don't think he played a snap all year.

I remember when they said that it might take OBJ until October before he was ready to get out there...

I prefer to think positive
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/04/21 01:35 PM
He's going into his 3rd year. Doesn't that make him a veteran at this point?

It's the make or break year, at least here. I don't always buy the year 2 jump. Some guys take 3, especially since we are talking changes in scheme. This is his 2nd in Joe Woods scheme.

But yes, he would be considered a Vet by most metrics. My only caveat is that last year might also be considered a rookie season of sorts.

I am not making excuses for the guy. No doubt he needs to show up and at least show to be a solid back-up player. If not, he goes to another team at some point and maybe pans or or maybe he is destined to be one of those guys who bounces around for the next 4-5 seasons in some capacity or another.

A question has come to mind after i posted....Is he already a decent back-up? What was he, a 4th-5th round pick? I don't remember. Maybe he is about as good as he gets? Is that good enough to be on the team? Not everybody drafted in bound to be a starter. We want them to be, but that's not how it works.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/04/21 02:22 PM
No doubt that Wilson’s ceiling is a backup IMO. It shows just how bad we were when we relied on him to START as a ROOKIE. He sucked lol, but was young and cared.

Yeah, I think he was even later than a 4/5 round pick … so if we can turn him into a backup that’s a good value
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/04/21 02:35 PM
IIRC, he got a bit of love pre-draft but then fell into the later rounds for some reason. Us picking him there was considered a steal.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/04/21 03:12 PM
IIRC, he got a bit of love pre-draft but then fell into the later rounds for some reason. Us picking him there was considered a steal.

Wasn't he the one that Saban wasn't ready for the NFL and suggested he stay in college one more year?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/04/21 03:42 PM
Saban strongly advised Mack Wilson to return to school

https://www.rollbamaroll.com/2019/2/22/1...eturn-to-school
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/04/21 05:16 PM
https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2019mwilson.php

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/mack-wilson/32005749-4c74-7169-f251-e69c40d45765

Walter Football --> late 1st to second rounder

NFL.com --> Rounds 3-4
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/04/21 05:44 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/04/21 05:48 PM
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/04/21 05:48 PM
Are we worried about how much time these guys (the ones coming off major injuries) are spending on the sidelines?
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/04/21 05:49 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/04/21 05:54 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/04/21 05:58 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/04/21 06:04 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/04/21 07:21 PM

Posted By: FATE Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/04/21 07:25 PM
DPJ put AJ's feet in cement shoes. Sick sell.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/04/21 07:28 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/04/21 07:30 PM
Posted By: bonefish Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/04/21 07:33 PM

Given the way he played last year.

He stepped in and made plays. He seemed to do all he was supposed to.

He came to camp ready both physically and mentally.

He is going to continue to improve.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/04/21 07:59 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/04/21 08:13 PM
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/04/21 08:14 PM
DPJ has elite level measuarbles. He was a steal in the draft. I think this year he’s going to break out. Maybe not with huge stats because of his roster position but with big plays and showing all the things necessary to make losing either OBJ or Landry next year a little more palatable.
I’m thankful he chose to play under Harbaugh and the garbage QB situation up north. It led to him falling in the draft. Had he played at LSU or tOSU, or a number of other schools, he’d have been a top WR in the draft.

Addendum: Peoples-Jones outperformed every combine participant in the vertical and broad jumps — 44.5 inches in the former, 11 feet, 7 inches in the latter. He also ran the 40-yard dash in 4.48 seconds. He’s 6’2”, 212 pounds.

The dude is ready.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/04/21 08:31 PM
Cleveland Browns notes: LB Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah in team drills for first time

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/spor...lls/5480959001/

BEREA — After dealing with a mild bout of COVID-19, where he was asymptomatic, and five missed practices, linebacker Jeremiah Owusu-Koromoah pronounced himself fully healthy Wednesday before practice.

“It was a downer, of course, but you’ve always got to control the things you can control,” he said Wednesday of his time in quarantine, “and that was something I couldn’t control at the time, so you’ve got to press through it and persevere through it.”

The primary disadvantage may have come in the form of lost time, for the rookie linebacker from Notre Dame drafted in the second round. Owusu-Koromoah, however, doesn’t see it that way. If nothing else, the ongoing pandemic has taught sports teams how to deal with getting work in despite the virus.

“It doesn’t really put you behind. As long as you do the walkthroughs in the house and make sure you get an extra study in. it was actually a time I took advantage of,” he said, “being able to open up the playbook even more and watch a lot of the practices and watch a lot of the games. It wasn’t a time where I had a setback or anything.”

His study habits and work ethic he showed in the spring played an integral part in him not falling behind linebacker coach Jason Tarver said.

“Jeremiah did a really good job in the spring. He’s a good note taker and he was with us for all of those spring practices,” he said. “He asked really good questions and he’s been doing a really nice job both virtually – we really learned a lot last year from our virtual program, right – so we’ve applied some of those things with him since he’s been back at camp and done it these past few days.”

Owusu-Koramoah had to get creative when getting the work in, he said.

“You use all kinds of stuff,” he said. “You use fruits and I had these little dumbbells that I used, just kinda moving the formations around to make sure I align right, things like that.”

He participated in team drills for the first time in Wednesday’s practice and will get in a few reps and from their follow guidance from team doctors going forward, he said. Tarver said he will be worked in over the next few days.

“So he’ll be worked in and he’s got one spot right now to master,” he said, “and we’ll see how he does there, but we’re excited with his process of how he’s learning and he’ll get worked in as we go these next few days.”

The key for Owusu-Koramoah, who doesn’t hesitate in stating he views himself as a linebacker, in this defense is for the Browns coaching staff to be able to take advantage of his unique skill set and the versatility he brings.

“He’ll be a little bit more on the edges of the defense and he’ll also be matched up in certain things – matched up to use his really good skill sets of coverage, blitzing and all of those things,” Tarver said. “So not being specific in naming a position – because all of our linebackers pretty much play them all when it’s all said and done and we need everybody and that’s how we approach it.”

Owusu-Koromoah has set his goals for the upcoming season, but they are prioritized.

“First you set team goals because you are going to be on the team. You’re stepping into an organization that’s looking to build the culture so the first goal you set is as a team,” he said, “or as yourself is for the team then you set individual goals like rookie of the year or defensive player of the year and things like that. You always set goals. You write them down for the month on your walls or put them up on the ceiling, whatever you can do to make sure that you have those things in sight.”

And yes he views being the NFL’s top rookie as an attainable goal.

“I don’t think you ask any rookie in this draft, you say, ‘You gonna be rookie of the year?’ [and they say] ‘Oh no,’” he said. “Everybody’s going to say yeah and they have that desire to. The next step is to put that into action.”

What’s in a name?
Owusu-Koramoah was referred to as J.O.K leading up to the NFL Draft this year. At Notre Dame, teammates called him “Wu.” And now?

“It’s a mixture. Got Jock from the rookies, the vets you got J.O.K and Jock, some of the medical staff I’ve got Wu,” he said, “so it’s a mixture of everything so I just have to be attentive to the syllables and make sure I answer when I’m called.”

He has no problem with any of them.

“I’m alright with all of them. I’m not a picky guy ‘Hey don’t call me that,’” he said. “I’m a pretty chill guy when it comes to the names as long as it’s nothing disrespectful.”

OBJ gets more praise
Count wide receivers coach Chad O’Shea among the many impressed by Odell Beckham Jr.’s performance thus far in training camp.

More importantly, however, he sees two other things from the receiver. His drive and the desire to want to contribute to the offense and the connection that appears to be developing with quarterback Baker Mayfield.

“We can make great progress not only on the field, but we have made it in the meeting room, being on the same page in walk through,” O’Shea said. “I think sometimes we lose sight of being on the same page just happens on the field. I think it can happen in other forms. That's something we've really taken advantage of this year is being together and being able to look each other in the eye and be on the same page and communicate clearly on what we want each other to do on a specific play.”

A difference in Mack Wilson
Tarver gave linebacker Anthony Walker Jr. credit for taking Mack Wilson under his wing. Wilson, in his third season, opened some eyes during Tuesday’s practice with a spectacular interception of quarterback Baker Mayfield in 11-on-11 drills.

“Anthony’s been absolutely wonderful for our group. Mack Wilson and Anthony got themselves in really good shape,” Tarver said.

He said Wilson is more flexible and bendable.

“He’s running really well. He’s finishing to the ball well, which is our No. 1 thing for linebackers,” he said. “It’s run because we’ve got to be able to run across the board. And he’s put himself in a position to compete by being in shape.”

The work showed itself on that interception with Stefanski calling it an outstanding play.

“He displayed great hands. He’s been trying to get on goal line offense for a long time,” he joked. “He came in great shape. Physically, I think he’s running really well. He’s still powerful and, I think, mentally he’s just in a really good spot.”

Jacob Phillips fills in
With Walker out for the time being, second-year linebacker Jacob Phillips is calling defensive plays again. It’s a responsibility he shared last season. Tarver appreciates his effort.

“He’s got that personality where he want to be right, wants to run it. Smart. Wants to know all the rules, so we like him,” he said. “We like Jacob at all positions, but he’s doing a nice job of being that guy who can communicate and run the defense.”

Learning moment for Baker Mayfield
At one point during Tuesday’s practice Mayfield walked off the field visibly upset because of his inability to make anything happen offensively.

“That’s the point, learn” Stefanski said of what Mayfield was seeing from his defensive teammates, “learn from every single rep you get.”

He also gave credit to the defense, however.

“That period in particular, I though the defense was outstanding,” he said. “I really do. Guys were tightly covered. They did a nice job. Conversely, on offense someone has to make a play, someone has to shake free. The quarterback has to put it on the money in those tight windows. It’s a great competitive drill, but I would give a hat tip to the defense in that regard.”

No worries about the New York Giants
The talk of around the league Wednesday: the full team brawl amongst the New York Giants Tuesday that saw the team’s starting quarterback, Daniel Jones, end up on the bottom of a pile, according to reports.

The Browns will hold joint practices with the Giants Aug. 19 and 20 ahead of a preseason game on Aug. 22 at 1 p.m. at FirstEnergy Stadium.

Stefanski expressed no concern about the incident.

“Nah, I’m worried about the Cleveland Browns,” he said when asked about the scrum.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/04/21 08:33 PM
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/04/21 08:48 PM
How did I know that Giants thing was from Grossi?
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/04/21 08:49 PM
BTW,

Grateful and others....

Thank you for posting up all the videos/updates.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/04/21 09:20 PM
Love those little breakdowns from Trotter. Seems like DPJ is really performing and improving. It also seems like Garrett/Clowney will wreak havoc
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/04/21 09:25 PM
Why don’t they build the whole thing out of DPJ?
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/04/21 09:33 PM
Naught for nuttin...

Watching DPJ in camp this week, and thinking back to all those training camps where we were all excited about some UDFA WR who was looking good.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/04/21 10:03 PM
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
Naught for nuttin...

Watching DPJ in camp this week, and thinking back to all those training camps where we were all excited about some UDFA WR who was looking good.

I agree. But I would also say that DPJ exceeded expectations his rookie year and has the athleticism to make a huge step forward. There are just a lot of mouths to feed.
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/04/21 10:21 PM
I have spent the better part of the day watching videos of player interviews and run downs on our roster and just sort of getting a general feel for the atmosphere and some things really stand out.

Players are comfortable here they truly like it was something that really stood out to me. They enjoy each other and make fun out of work and are really getting after it. They know how good they can be and really seem like they can't wait to show off just how good they truly are.

I see a team that is very emotionally connected to each other, they are brothers in fact JOK said it just like that. We I believe are in for a very special season. We have all the pieces in place when they break down each position group you can't help but to just smile the BEST O Line the Best Running Back room, The BEST TE room, The best WR room, it's jaw dropping.

And then you can see the defensive players are coming together they are an equal to the offense and deep and dripping with talent. There are a few injuries that could slow us but even they are iffy as to whether we couldn't weather the storm and continue.

My impression is this is a very close group of people who are committed to outworking and outplaying any and all comers. This is a special team looking in from the outside I can see why players want to come here. This is a great program that Ski has put together where everyone is treated with respect and is valued.

The Browns are finally who we all hoped they would be I have to admit it's way more then I ever would have allowed myself to hope for this is the birth of a dynasty.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/04/21 11:03 PM
Geez, Tony keeps sticking his foot his mouth...Funny
Posted By: FATE Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/05/21 12:16 AM
Geez, Tony keeps sticking his foot his mouth...Funny

Give us all a heads up if you notice he has actually taken a foot out of his mouth...
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/05/21 12:35 AM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Love those little breakdowns from Trotter. Seems like DPJ is really performing and improving. It also seems like Garrett/Clowney will wreak havoc

Myles Garrett and Jadeveon Clowney are unblockable with pads on -- What we learned from Day 6 of Browns camp

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/08...rowns-camp.html

BEREA, Ohio -- I’ve been self-indulgent.

These past few days my opens centered around me. My mind, some thought or an experience driving to practice.

Well, those narcissistic admissions are done. I have no time (or words) to waste describing Day 6 of Browns training camp, also known as “Pads Prime.” Like a pounding gavel, Jadeveon Clowney commenced the first padded practice by popping tackle Jack Conklin and calmly moving him aside to wreck an early rep.

A few plays later, Clowney rushed a deep-set Baker Mayfield. A blink and Euro-step later, he teleported behind his All-Pro teammate and (obviously) spared QB1.

I’ve got cool news and a lame fact to share. News first: Browns fans, Clowney comes as advertised. He’s exhilarating to watch in person. At moments, he shines like a former No. 1 pick and potential defensive player of the year. But that’s what practice is, moments.

Can he string together 17 games and parlay it with a playoff run? Only his health knows. But for now, come to practice (if you can) and enjoy watching him and Myles Garrett share a field. It’s worthwhile.

I’ll unpack Clowney more in a bit. Here’s what I learned about the Browns’ other pass rushers at Day 6 of camp.

Myles Garrett remains the man

I’m predicting it: Myles Garrett is the next Michael Strahan. To be clear, I’m aware Garrett is focused on being the first and best version of himself, as he should. Fresh frontiers aren’t forged through direct imitation. No. 95 seems like the next great pass rusher. He’s built like Strahan, is charismatic like the Good Morning America host and has every intention of breaking the NFL single-season sack record, like Strahan did.

Witness the power. It’s effortless yet Mufasa fierce.

In my Kanye West voice. “No one man should have that much power.” But Garrett does. And it made Tuesday’s practice a fight for Jedrick Wills Jr. at left tackle and Conklin on the right.

Yesterday I wrote about how running back Nick Chubb “picks his spots” in practice, meaning, he dictates his pace. Garrett does the same. When he participates, it’s a full-blown rep that he usually wins. But it’s not game day. Like Hulk in Avengers Endgame, Garrett is in complete control of himself.

I anticipate he’ll bring that same balance to Kansas City in Week 1. Then set a Patrick Mahomes-rattling tone and a season-long pace.

More cautious optimism for Clowney

Last season all I did was watch tape and study data. I’m taking an extended break from that. However, read Scott Patsko for your continued numbers fix. Seriously click that link. He wrote a great piece on why Nick Chubb deserves lots of money.

No numbers from me until “Gotta Watch the Tape” returns. Just the eye test. Watch Clowney pop guard Wyatt Teller below while battling for edge supremacy.

From his signature Euro-step to stuffing the run, Clowney looks and plays the part at practice. Below he walks around guard Michael Dunn in under five quick steps.

Again, only Clowney’s health can stop him. He plays in complete control of himself, so at peace with his athletic ability that challenges are rare. Therefore he trains with caution, ready to unleash when he pleases.

Porter Gustin and Curtis Weaver are contributors

Takk McKinley remains sidelined after exiting the field on Monday. Curtis Weaver took those left-end reps while Porter Gustin remained the steady No. 3 edge rusher.

The Browns have an odd situation at defensive end. At the top (like this story), Cleveland lives lavishly. Garrett plays Superman while Clowney cleans up on the low, Bruce Wayne style. But if injuries hit, this Justice League tumbles.

Clearly, there isn’t much depth. I cannot figure out what Malik Jackson’s role is. He reps with both the second and third teams. His preseason performances are going to matter.

The Browns go from great to average after Clowney and Garrett. Cleveland didn’t draft an edge rusher. Long days in full pads stress that. But enough worrying.

If Garrett and Clowney both finish top five for Defensive Player of the Year, depth shouldn’t matter.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/05/21 01:01 AM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/05/21 01:09 AM
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/05/21 05:23 AM
Bro, I loved reading your post.

We've been through so much heartache, Dawgs are still pinching themselves to make sure it's not some dream.

The thing I love most about how this team has been constructed: A really, really good O practices against a (potentially) really good D. Each makes the other better, which makes both ready for the best other teams can throw at them.

I've never felt this confident going into a season.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/05/21 10:51 AM
Weaver is another DL that could be a difference maker, at least from a depth standpoint. Forgot about him
Posted By: bonefish Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/05/21 11:09 AM

Like we discussed before. The intangibles are off the chart.

The team vibe is super strong. It is a combination of picking the right type players and developing the culture.

The spotlight shines on Berry and KS.

We have the talent. But that only takes a team so far. They have to trust and believe in each other.
Good football requires that.

Unit strength is a subset of the team. When watching Building the Browns and listening to press conferences. You can see how tight some of these guys are.
Jarvis and Odell. Chubb and Hunt. The offensive line.
Myles and Clowney are developing. Walker is a natural leader. You can see how the DL is growing together.
John Johnson is another leader.

Coaches rely on that. KS is tuned in to these guys.

As each day passes and I listen to the press conferences. Kevin Stefanski is more and more impressive.

He listens. His responses are thoughtful. He keeps the team on a singular focus. Work on today. Be mindful of what you can do today to improve. Don't get ahead of yourself.
Execute each rep. Know the technique. Know your responsibility.

Of the big three pro sports football is the most demanding of it's head coach. 53 man roster plus the coaching staff is a large task to juggle.

We have all waited for what seems like eternity. But we have finally arrived.

We are good and we will be for a long time.
Posted By: Jester Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/05/21 11:35 AM

The Browns go from great to average after Clowney and Garrett. Cleveland didn’t draft an edge rusher. Long days in full pads stress that. But enough worrying.

It wasn't long ago that when our starters went out and the back-ups came in that we went from below average to terrible.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/05/21 11:44 AM
Naught for nuttin...

I understand where you are coming from and that was my initial reaction as well. But the more I thought about it, those players we all got excited about were 3rd teamers who made plays at camp or in the second half of the first two pre-season games.

This situation seems slightly different as the plays are with Baker and against the 1st team defense (I think, I haven't watch everything), plus we saw flashes of his talent last season.

I think the DPJ news is a little over-the-top in regards to what he projects to do, but it is also optimistic to see a young player continue to improve from one season to the next.

Further, there are some contracts at the top of the WR corp that most likely need addressing in 2022 and if DPJ can produce and show value, it makes those moves a lot easier and more justifiable.
Posted By: slick Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/05/21 12:52 PM
Should we be worried about Takk? I'm not trying to dog the guy but his reputation so far in the nfl is not working hard and being out of shape. So far he hasnt practiced and continues to be out with a illness.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/05/21 12:59 PM
Indeed. It isn't a practice of suck v suck.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/05/21 01:03 PM
There seems to be something non-COVID that's been holding various guys out.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/05/21 02:41 PM
Gc. The Vikings had an outbreak in their quarterback room of covid related close contact disqulifications, similar to the Broncos' situation in 2020. Per nfl podcast.

In light of the news, regardless of vaccination status, Should the Browns, be doing something, like separating each of their postion groups into 3 separate contact groups, ie, Landry and Higgins and DPJ, are in 3 separate groups of contacts, just for future, inevitable, lost time to protocols of close contacts issues, Thinking ahead.
So they don't end up with one group having nobody.
similar players shouldn't be close contacts to one another.
Weaver and Gustin, Mack and Malcom and Taki, etc. They can't afford to lose a whole group.
(What if they find out vaccination doesn't stop spread, this disease, and how to deal with it, has been changing every week.)
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/05/21 03:23 PM
I wonder if some of the various illnesses that are just a day or two have something to do with receiving the second shot. Just rampant speculation on my part though.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/05/21 03:29 PM
I speculated earlier that I wondered how guys fighting for a spot would feel about potentially feeling under the weather during one of these crucial days of TC (when they need every opportunity to show off on the field, so I'm right there with you.

And now that I think about it, I do believe there was quite a bit of movement in the team's % vaccinated since before training camp started and yesterday/day before.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/05/21 03:42 PM
Originally Posted By: slick
Should we be worried about Takk? I'm not trying to dog the guy but his reputation so far in the nfl is not working hard and being out of shape. So far he hasnt practiced and continues to be out with a illness.

From everything I have seen and heard, he came to camp in great shape. People do get sick once in a while, even those in great shape.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/05/21 04:11 PM

I agree.

Just reading between the lines and watching DL drills.

It sounds like he is doing well.

As camp progresses I expect Takk to be the second option at both DE positions.
Posted By: BCbrownie Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/05/21 05:41 PM
Don't mean to sound like a smart ass,but there was ample time for everyone to be vaccinated before TC.
Waiting until TC,doesnot sound smart nor accountable.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/05/21 06:09 PM
Yeah, I dunno. Maybe Delta is scaring some people straight. Life for rookies and folks acquired during FA has probably been hectic.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/05/21 06:56 PM
I thought about that, too...combined with the more strict ramifications set forth by the NFL.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/05/21 07:37 PM
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Naught for nuttin...

I understand where you are coming from and that was my initial reaction as well. But the more I thought about it, those players we all got excited about were 3rd teamers who made plays at camp or in the second half of the first two pre-season games.

This situation seems slightly different as the plays are with Baker and against the 1st team defense (I think, I haven't watch everything), plus we saw flashes of his talent last season.

I think the DPJ news is a little over-the-top in regards to what he projects to do, but it is also optimistic to see a young player continue to improve from one season to the next.

Further, there are some contracts at the top of the WR corp that most likely need addressing in 2022 and if DPJ can produce and show value, it makes those moves a lot easier and more justifiable.
Actually, the point you made was the point I was trying to make. Watching DPJ now makes the big deal we all made out of those undrafted guys pale by comparison.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/05/21 07:40 PM
All I know is DPJ isn’t Frisman Jackson.
DPJ has got stud potential.
Jackson barely made the roster/practice squad on a bad team.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/05/21 08:06 PM
It seemed like each year a portion of the fanbase absolutely fell in love with a UDFA (more often than not a WR) that looked the part but never panned out. He would either be pressed into service or, even worse, still couldn't crack the lineup.

But there was 1 WR that did absolutely nothing in the league and was still going to be our savior each and every year. He was Josh Gordon minus all of the baggage, but also minus a lot of the talent.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/05/21 08:21 PM
Brandon Rideau
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/05/21 08:41 PM
Think about what Chubb has said repeatedly he put his money where his mouth is, didn't he?

Think about Johnson saying he took less to come here, even Clowney took less is my guess?

Watch Clowney's interview from a few days ago and listen closely. he is a guy who has bounced from team to team over the past what 4 seasons and came here I believe to improve his earning power and you can hear it in his speech and I see a guy that is slowly buying in and my bet is before the season is over he will beg the Browns to re-sign him. This is home to these players, they love their jobs they love the guys their working with, they love their coaches and they are having the time of their lives and they are super talented on top of all of that.

I kind of have an idea of what we will see from our offense, but man wait until this defense gets on the field this group is coming together quickly and they are at least as talented as the offense. I can let my imagination go a bit I think we will be very aggressive on defense and come after QB's from so many direction they simply won't have a clue what is coming, will have them seeing ghosts is my bet. I think a healthy Myles will eclipse 20 this year and Clowney will be close behind.

This team is family and you don't mess with family. They are truly special and if I am right this team will be talked about long after we are all gone. Like Murders row of baseball is still talked about so will this football team. I think Ski has reinvented coaching I really do.

look at DPJ this pre season think Ski didn't talk to him about what he needed to do to be the best possible version of himself. Like Bake with footwork the coaches have laid out a list of things that he needed to do he bought in went and did the work and he is lighting it up. WHY? Coaching.
Posted By: FATE Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/05/21 08:48 PM
Happy Birthday Brown!
Posted By: bonefish Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/05/21 09:01 PM

Clowney mentioned when he first was with Houston that the secondary was really good.

He also said everytime he has gotten healthy he got reinjured. Now having training camp and being healthy he can be prepared. Having Myles on the other side. He knows will be good for him.

The secondary feeds the pass rush. Teams last year came back on us because the secondary overall did not have competent players. Enter JJ3, Hill, Newsome, Delpit, Greedy. Harrison played but came late and then missed time.

We will play a 4-2-5 base defense with sub packages off that. We are adding speed at linebacker. Berry and Wood want players who can play in space.

When you have Myles, Clowney, Takk rushing and good coverage. That adds up to coverage sacks and turnovers.

Turnovers and three and outs give the offense more chances.

There will be no more comebacks on us.

Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/05/21 09:07 PM
Think about what Chubb has said repeatedly he put his money where his mouth is, didn't he?

Think about Johnson saying he took less to come here, even Clowney took less is my guess?

Watch Clowney's interview from a few days ago and listen closely. he is a guy who has bounced from team to team over the past what 4 seasons and came here I believe to improve his earning power and you can hear it in his speech and I see a guy that is slowly buying in and my bet is before the season is over he will beg the Browns to re-sign him. This is home to these players, they love their jobs they love the guys their working with, they love their coaches and they are having the time of their lives and they are super talented on top of all of that.

I kind of have an idea of what we will see from our offense, but man wait until this defense gets on the field this group is coming together quickly and they are at least as talented as the offense. I can let my imagination go a bit I think we will be very aggressive on defense and come after QB's from so many direction they simply won't have a clue what is coming, will have them seeing ghosts is my bet. I think a healthy Myles will eclipse 20 this year and Clowney will be close behind.

This team is family and you don't mess with family. They are truly special and if I am right this team will be talked about long after we are all gone. Like Murders row of baseball is still talked about so will this football team. I think Ski has reinvented coaching I really do.

look at DPJ this pre season think Ski didn't talk to him about what he needed to do to be the best possible version of himself. Like Bake with footwork the coaches have laid out a list of things that he needed to do he bought in went and did the work and he is lighting it up. WHY? Coaching.

I don't know if I'd go as far as you have with a bunch of that, but this one is VERY different from what we've seen in Berea since the early 90's, at the least. I have little doubt that other franchises have seen a bit of this here and there over the years, but it's just so foreign to a Browns fan it seems like it must have never happened before. The reality is that this is probably just normal top-of-the-league "good". Teams are going to score on this defense. We are going to lose games. Baker is going to throw INTs. Chubb may still fumble one. OBJ & Landry will drop some. We're still going to win a lot.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/05/21 10:21 PM
It seemed like each year a portion of the fanbase absolutely fell in love with a UDFA (more often than not a WR) that looked the part but never panned out.

that was mostly because the UDFA looked almost as good as the starters. Now, I'm pretty sure we don't have a UFDA that looks almost as good as OBJ Landry DPJ or Higgens. they probably look like 1/2 as good. Same was always true with our RB's until we got Chubb and Hunt
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/06/21 12:59 AM
Expect Year 2 Breakout From Donovan Peoples-Jones Who Is 'Lighting Up' Camp

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2946...ighting-up-camp

Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donovan Peoples-Jones is a star-in-the-making. He just needed a little more time than other recent draft picks to show what he's capable of after a disappointing collegiate career. His performance during training camp has been eye-opening for an already loaded roster that features Jarvis Landry and Odell Beckham Jr.

According to The Athletic's Zac Jackson, Peoples-Jones is "lighting up" training camp.

Talent always makes itself known if it's properly nurtured. Cleveland took a chance on Peoples-Jones with the 187th overall pick of the 2020 NFL draft. In the deepest wide receiver class ever, 25 heard their names called before the Browns finally pulled the trigger.

Peoples-Jones was a 5-star flop at Michigan. He never managed more than 47 receptions or 612 yards during any of his collegiate campaigns. His ability was obvious, but Michigan struggled to utilize him properly.

At the time, Peoples-Jones was a potential throwaway pick in a loaded wide receiver class. Cleveland's front office knew it invested in a lottery ticket, but his upside was well worth the risk.

"He was an exceptionally athletic, very talented individual," Browns area scout Colton Chapple told reporters shortly after Peoples-Jones' selection. "... This is a guy we really like in terms of his overall size, speed and athleticism to bring to our unit and contribute in whatever manner our coaches deem fit."

Chapple added: "What we saw on tape when he did have his opportunities, he made the most of them. He became a very dynamic player once the offense was able to get him the ball quickly."

Fast forward six months.

Beckham went down with a season-ending knee injury in a Week 7 contest against the Cincinnati Bengals. The Browns and their division rival went back and forth during the second half before quarterback Baker Mayfield found Peoples-Jones on a back-shoulder throw for a game-winning 24-yard touchdown pass with 11 seconds left. At that moment, the Browns saw the potential of what their wide receiver corps could eventually become.

Peoples-Jones finished tied for fifth on the team with 304 receiving yards. The sophomore receiver could easily emerge as the Browns' third option behind Landry and Beckham. The flashes were promising. Peoples-Jones finished fourth in the rookie class with an average of 1.83 yards per route run, per Pro Football Focus. At one point during the Browns' stretch run (Weeks 13-15), the first-year pass-catcher posted the second-most yardage on throws 20-plus yards downfield.

"Most rookies, there is a learning curve," head coach Kevin Stefanski told reporters. "[Jedrick Wills Jr.] obviously, was in there from play No. 1 and started the whole season, but I would say that is pretty rare across the league. Once you get out of that first-round top-15 guys, you typically have guys who you are working into the lineup and their roles grow throughout the season.

"I think Donovan is a great example of that. Again, a really smart player, a conscientious kid who we could put in there and trust him to do the job. He certainly earned our trust over the course of time."

The next step is earning the trust of his quarterback, and he's certainly seemed to do so during his second training camp.

Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer reported that Peoples-Jones has slimmed down and spent all offseason working with Mayfield. As a result, his physical gifts are consistently translating to the field.

Before understanding what the wide receiver brings to the table from an on-field perspective, his natural ability must be addressed. Peoples-Jones is a 6'2", 212-pound target with 33½" arms. His 44½" vertical is the second-best NFL combine effort since the league began revealing results in 2006. He finished first among his wide receiver classmates with an 11'7" broad jump, too. He ran a 4.48-second 40-yard dash. Overall, the prospect posted a SPARQ (speed, power, athleticism, reaction and quickness) score in the 99th percentile of NFL wide receivers, per NBC Sports' Thor Nystrom.

Peoples-Jones is the caliber of athlete every team wants at wide receiver. Great athleticism doesn't always translate to the field, though. In his case, he's showed a level of consistency that can't be overlooked.

"He has done an outstanding job of putting himself in position to have the opportunity to contribute here because of his work ethic," wide receivers coach Chad O'Shea said Wednesday. "I would say thus far in camp, like some other guys in the receiving group, he has made the most of his opportunities."

Peoples-Jones displayed the ability to stack cornerbacks and get vertical in limited opportunities last season, and he's looked even better during recent practices. His body control and concentration on passes have been exceptional. He's regularly made highlight-worthy receptions during training camp sessions.

The Browns already have two star wide receivers and multiple tight ends they want to get on the field. But opportunities are sure to arise in multi-receiver sets.

Besides, Beckham has missed at least four games in three of the last four seasons. Landry played through a hip issue in 2020 as well. Injuries happen. Depth is necessary. Peoples-Jones can play all three receiver spots and contribute on special teams.

"Last year, I was so impressed with his ability to function mentally across a lot of different positions," O'Shea said. "Certainly, I think that adds value to a player when you can line up at different spots and be a multiple-role player, that is going to increase your opportunities."

Cleveland found some success late in the 2020 campaign by going five-wide, albeit with tight ends or even running backs flexed. Stefanski can continue to tweak his scheme and take advantage of the talent available to him.

The Browns' offensive play-caller knows what he has in OBJ and Landry. Rashard Higgins has developed a rapport with Mayfield that's only gotten stronger each season. General manager Andrew Berry drafted speedster Anthony Schwartz in this year's third round. Clearly, opportunities could be limited as Cleveland searches for the right balance to reach optimal efficiency.

However, Peoples-Jones' continued excellence in practice will force Stefanski and Co. to implement packages where he's on the field with a chance to shine.

A year from now, the Browns could move on from Beckham and Landry because of their combined $31.6 million salary-cap hit (but only $1.5 million guaranteed). Peoples-Jones should see incremental growth and usage over the new few months and into next season, when he could emerge as Cleveland's WR1.

Not every incoming wide receiver can be like Beckham or the Minnesota Vikings' Justin Jefferson, who set a rookie receiving record last season. Peoples-Jones is only 22 years old after declaring early for the draft. He clearly needed time and the right situation to fulfill his immense potential. He still has a lot to prove, but he's coming on strong.

Considering his performance throughout training camp, Peoples-Jones should kick open the door, receive more playing time this fall and give the Browns yet another exciting option for an already impressive offense.
Posted By: FATE Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/06/21 01:37 AM
Quote:
Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer reported that Peoples-Jones has slimmed down and spent all offseason working with Mayfield.

Curious as to how that works. Is it just an exaggeration... "all offseason"? Is it an open invitation to all receivers with Mayfield? Or is it just DPJ knocking on Baker's door like "yo, I need to get a bunch of work in this offseason" and Baker taking him under his wing?

No matter how you slice it, this bodes well on both players' fronts.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/06/21 01:47 AM
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/06/21 11:59 AM
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/06/21 12:30 PM
Is there One Defender Peoples-Jones is consistently beating or is he outshining against a full group?

Is there one type of play scheme matching up Peoples-Jones in favorable circumstances consistently allowing him to shine vs the defense or is he doing it from all aspects of any situation he's put in?
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/06/21 12:48 PM
Originally Posted By: dawglover05
Brandon Rideau
Carlton Mitchell
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/06/21 12:51 PM
Originally Posted By: FATE
Quote:
Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer reported that Peoples-Jones has slimmed down and spent all offseason working with Mayfield.

Curious as to how that works. Is it just an exaggeration... "all offseason"? Is it an open invitation to all receivers with Mayfield? Or is it just DPJ knocking on Baker's door like "yo, I need to get a bunch of work in this offseason" and Baker taking him under his wing?

No matter how you slice it, this bodes well on both players' fronts.

It came out recently that Hooper has been spending extra time with Mayfield this season as well. I didn't hear about it over the offseason, but it was mentioned in a mini-camp summary.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/06/21 04:57 PM
Ravens cornerback Jimmy Smith carted off with a right leg injury in Fridays' training camp practice.
Jimmy Smith 33 has played his whole career for Baltimore.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/06/21 09:16 PM
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/06/21 10:54 PM
I agree with some of the commenters on that tweet.... the thing with Takk has just gotten kinda weird. An undisclosed illness and now an excused absence... during Training Camp? He has yet to take a rep; this does not look good, but the team has been doing its damnedest to keep whatever it is low-key.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/06/21 11:10 PM
I agree with some of the commenters on that tweet.... the thing with Takk has just gotten kinda weird. An undisclosed illness and now an excused absence... during Training Camp? He has yet to take a rep; this does not look good, but the team has been doing its damnedest to keep whatever it is low-key.

It's best to not think about Takk or count on that guy for anything. If he shows up, great, if not, that is what I expect.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/07/21 12:23 AM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/07/21 06:10 PM
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/07/21 06:38 PM
I have a feeling he doesn't play a down for us. doesn't make alot of sense
Posted By: bonefish Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/07/21 07:11 PM

What is up with this?

He was in good shape and all ready to go. There was no
indication of any problems.

Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/07/21 07:40 PM
I know you know this, but players are people with real lives and real life problems. My guess here is that real life has given him something he needs to deal with.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/07/21 08:03 PM
true, and some people have more of them.

The guy is an egghead.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/07/21 08:29 PM
We have no idea what's going on. For all we know, someone in his family could be critically ill, or trouble along those lines. Let's not condemn him without any of the real info.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/07/21 08:41 PM

I agree.

I will give him the benefit of doubt until I hear otherwise.

Early on I saw his presser. He was impressive. Seemed highly motivated and thankful for the opportunity.

KS is not hanging the guy out to dry. He has an excused absence.

Posted By: FATE Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/07/21 08:46 PM
j/c...

This was from early 2019.

Hopefully he's alright.

https://thefalconswire.usatoday.com/2019...l-health-check/
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/07/21 09:33 PM
Would like to see him playing for us, but we also have a log jam on the DLine right now too. We have solid depth players that will be cut, so if a projected starter doesn't work out we'll have to next man up the position.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/07/21 09:57 PM
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/07/21 10:04 PM
Originally Posted By: FATE
Happy Birthday Brown!

Shoot I never noticed this damned nice of you fate thanks..
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/07/21 11:09 PM
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/07/21 11:11 PM
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/08/21 01:02 AM

BEREA — Takk McKinley remains away from the Browns, and coach Kevin Stefanski said he doesn't have an expectation for when the defensive end will return.

"I really don't," Stefanski said Saturday before the ninth full-squad practice of training camp.

Asked if McKinley is expected to return and be ready for the start of the season Sept. 12 against the Kansas City Chiefs, Stefanski said, "I just don't have a time frame yet. I can't really get too far into it. I'm hopeful, but don't have a time frame."

McKinley left practices early July 30 and July 31 and hasn't been back on the field since then. He was seen vomiting before his departure July 30.

The Browns had been citing an illness as the reason for McKinley's absence until Stefanski provided the following update Friday: "Takk is excused for personal reasons, but [we] expect him back."

However, the timing of a return is nebulous.

In March, the Browns signed McKinley as an unrestricted free agent. His one-year contract has a value of $4.25 million and can reach $6 million with incentives.

The Browns are counting on McKinley to become a key player in their defensive end rotation along with starters Myles Garrett and Jadeveon Clowney.

Takk McKinley shares his story: Browns' Takk McKinley says he lost himself in Atlanta, but means 'nothing but business' now

Browns center Nick Harris, right, fends off defensive tackle Andrew Billings on Monday, August 2, 2021 in Berea, Ohio, at CrossCountry Mortgage Campus. [Phil Masturzo/ Beacon Journal]
Browns center Nick Harris, right, fends off defensive tackle Andrew Billings on Monday, August 2, 2021 in Berea, Ohio, at CrossCountry Mortgage Campus. [Phil Masturzo/ Beacon Journal]
PHIL MASTURZO, AKRON BEACON JOURNAL
Andrew Billings eager for Cleveland Browns to return to the playoffs
Andrew Billings is happy about his decision to opt out of the 2020 season because of COVID-19 concerns tied to his severe asthma, yet the defensive tackle is disappointed he missed a chance to appear in a playoff game for the first time in his NFL career.

“I felt like I missed out on a career opportunity,” Billings said, “but we’re ready to get back to the playoffs again.”

Billings and Malik Jackson have been the first-team defensive tackles all offseason, but Billings said he's convinced he must still earn the job. He lost 20 pounds in a span of about five weeks and credits the running he did in the Atlanta heat during the buildup to training camp.

The Browns are counting on Billings, a former Cincinnati Bengals starter, to provide a run-stuffing presence. Defensive line coach Chris Kiffin recently called Billings “the strongest guy I've ever seen.” Billings won a high school state powerlifting title in Texas.

“These are the numbers from high school: I dead lifted 705 [pounds], squatted 805 and benched 500,” Billings said.

Cleveland Browns cornerback Greg Newsome II participates in drills during NFL football training camp, Friday, July 30, 2021, in Berea, Ohio.
Cleveland Browns cornerback Greg Newsome II participates in drills during NFL football training camp, Friday, July 30, 2021, in Berea, Ohio.
JEFF LANGE, AKRON BEACON JOURNAL
Cleveland Browns rookie Greg Newsome II is getting rave reviews
Cornerback Troy Hill played for the NFL's top-ranked defense last season as a member of the Los Angeles Rams. In other words, Hill knows a talented defender when he sees one.

And rookie first-round draft pick Greg Newsome II has caught Hill's attention.

“He's going to be a great player,” Hill said. “He's going to be a star in the making. He's really humble. He definitely wants to be great. I see the work ethic in him, too. I'm excited to be a part of his journey and at the start of his journey.

“I see the way he was going about trying to get his technique down and everything [since Day One]. I definitely see the greatness in him.”

Greg Newsome II has a top athlete in his corner: How Browns rookie Greg Newsome II, Northwestern basketball star Veronica Burton lift each other

Odell Beckham Jr.'s plan for joining Cleveland Browns team drills
Wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. has yet to participate in 11-on-11 drills during training camp, an unsurprising development because he is on the comeback trail from the torn anterior cruciate ligament he suffered in his left knee Oct. 25 against the Cincinnati Bengals.

Stefanski said Beckham would join team drills at an appropriate time.

"We're just taking in all the advice of the medical team and Odell himself," Stefanski said, "and just making sure we do this the right way."

Beckham didn't practice Saturday but he did on a limited basis Friday, when he ran routes and caught passes from quarterback Baker Mayfield between periods.

"It's about precision, and it's about being accurate when you're throwing the ball, getting the right depth, running the right route and the quarterback getting the right feel for how a receiver runs a route because all the guys are different," Stefanski said. "There's great value in the work those guys are getting. It's scripted. The coaches know exactly what throws they want to get and in what order. Those two, that battery has gotten a ton of great reps over there."

Cleveland Browns training camp schedule
The Orange & Brown Practice is scheduled to begin at noon Sunday at FirstEnergy Stadium.

"We'll have a nice two-hour long practice where guys are competing against each other," Stefanski said. "We'll do some red-zone work. We'll do some two-minute work. We'll see some situational ball.”

In preparation for the practice at the stadium, the Browns dialed down the tempo Saturday and conducted what was basically a jog through.

According to the Browns, the following players didn't practice due to injury: linebackers Anthony Walker Jr. (knee), Montrel Meander (hamstring) and Tony Fields II (foot), safeties Ronnie Harrison Jr. (hamstring) and Sheldrick Redwine (ankle) and receivers Alexander Hollins (hamstring) and Anthony Schwartz (hamstring).

Players who had scheduled rest include cornerback Denzel Ward, right tackle Jack Conkin and defensive tackle Malik Jackson. Receiver Jarvis Landry returned after resting Friday.

— Nate Ulrich
Posted By: eotab Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/08/21 01:13 PM
We got to work with TAKK but can't rely on him, others will have to just step it up - JOK who has missed days also?

I like what I'm hearing about Felton - a lot fast than his 40 time in shorts runs great routes out of the Backfield and picking up blitzes a true 3rd down back considering he played WR in UCLA.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/08/21 01:28 PM
Is there news on if Richard Lecounte is healthy and practicing or out with injuries?
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/08/21 05:37 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/08/21 05:49 PM
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/08/21 05:52 PM

Freakin amazing. 30,000 at a practice.. Geez
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/08/21 06:02 PM
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/08/21 07:00 PM

That would be great news, because he has talent, and he has the physical ability to be a plus level LB. He just has to put it all together.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/08/21 07:31 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/08/21 07:39 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/08/21 07:45 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/08/21 07:59 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/08/21 08:10 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/08/21 08:21 PM
Here's what happened at the Browns' Orange & Brown practice at FirstEnergy Stadium
https://www.news5cleveland.com/sports/br...tenergy-stadium

CLEVELAND — The Cleveland Browns held their Orange & Brown practice at FirstEnergy Stadium on Sunday, and while inclement weather delayed things a bit, the sun quickly came out and fans got a good look at the team in action.

If you weren't one of the 20,000-plus fans in the stands Sunday, here's what you missed at practice:

Rain delay
A shelter in place order was issued by the team due to inclement weather just before practice was scheduled to start. Fans were instructed to move inside to the concourse area as heavy rain and lightning moved into the area.

The 12 p.m. practice was delayed for about 45 minutes until the weather cleared, but that didn't stop the die hard Browns fans who stuck it out through the soggy conditions to watch their favorite players take the field.

Welcome back fans
After the shelter in place order was lifted, fans flooded the stadium and as practice started were greeted with a message from both head coach Kevin Stefanski and quarterback Baker Mayfield.

"It is great to have you back in our house," Stefanski said.

"We've been working, we got a new team, we're ready to roll," Mayfield said. "These guys are ready to rock for you guys. We're in this together Cleveland.

Baker Mayfield contract talks
While the Browns recently inked a contract extension with running back Nick Chubb, Baker Mayfield's negotiations continue.

But as much as getting a long-term, high-dollar deal is something any player aims for, that isn't a priority for Mayfield right now, who is letting his agent and the team worry about that while he focuses on winning games.

Conversations have erupted over Mayfield's contract and what it may look like after the Buffalo Bills gave their quarterback Josh Allen a six-year extension worth $258. With Allen's deal coming before the season, many have wondered when Mayfield's might be complete.

But Mayfield said whether or not a deal gets done before the season starts or after he just wants to win Week 1 against the Kansas City Chiefs on Sept. 12.

"I'm not doing the negotiations, so frankly, I don't give a damn. I'm focused on winning Week 1 then go on to Week 2 and focus on that week. One week at a time—that's my mindset, so no matter how many times I get asked this question throughout the year it's going to be the same answer because that's just the truth."

Stadium
items.[0].image.alt
Photo by: Camryn Justice
By: Camryn JusticePosted at 4:09 PM, Aug 08, 2021 and last updated 4:09 PM, Aug 08, 2021
CLEVELAND — The Cleveland Browns held their Orange & Brown practice at FirstEnergy Stadium on Sunday, and while inclement weather delayed things a bit, the sun quickly came out and fans got a good look at the team in action.

If you weren't one of the 20,000-plus fans in the stands Sunday, here's what you missed at practice:

Rain delay
A shelter in place order was issued by the team due to inclement weather just before practice was scheduled to start. Fans were instructed to move inside to the concourse area as heavy rain and lightning moved into the area.

The 12 p.m. practice was delayed for about 45 minutes until the weather cleared, but that didn't stop the die hard Browns fans who stuck it out through the soggy conditions to watch their favorite players take the field.

RELATED: Shelter in place order lifted at Orange & Brown practice at FirstEnergy Stadium after inclement weather

Welcome back fans
After the shelter in place order was lifted, fans flooded the stadium and as practice started were greeted with a message from both head coach Kevin Stefanski and quarterback Baker Mayfield.

"We've been working, we got a new team, we're ready to roll," Mayfield said. "These guys are ready to rock for you guys. We're in this together Cleveland.

Browns fans Orange & Brown practice 2021
Camryn Justice
While the Browns recently inked a contract extension with running back Nick Chubb, Baker Mayfield's negotiations continue.

But as much as getting a long-term, high-dollar deal is something any player aims for, that isn't a priority for Mayfield right now, who is letting his agent and the team worry about that while he focuses on winning games.

Conversations have erupted over Mayfield's contract and what it may look like after the Buffalo Bills gave their quarterback Josh Allen a six-year extension worth $258. With Allen's deal coming before the season, many have wondered when Mayfield's might be complete.

But Mayfield said whether or not a deal gets done before the season starts or after he just wants to win Week 1 against the Kansas City Chiefs on Sept. 12.

"I'm not doing the negotiations, so frankly, I don't give a damn. I'm focused on winning Week 1 then go on to Week 2 and focus on that week. One week at a time—that's my mindset, so no matter how many times I get asked this question throughout the year it's going to be the same answer because that's just the truth."

Top plays
There were some notable catches and highlight reel plays during the practice Sunday. From Odell Beckham Jr. snags to Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt touchdowns, here are some of the best moments from the day.

Stadium
items.[0].image.alt
Photo by: Camryn Justice
By: Camryn JusticePosted at 4:09 PM, Aug 08, 2021 and last updated 4:09 PM, Aug 08, 2021

Rain delay

RELATED: Shelter in place order lifted at Orange & Brown practice at FirstEnergy Stadium after inclement weather

Welcome back fans

Browns fans Orange & Brown practice 2021
Camryn Justice

Top plays
There were some notable catches and highlight reel plays during the practice Sunday. From Odell Beckham Jr. snags to Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt touchdowns, here are some of the best moments from the day.

Fans who missed the Orange & Brown practice Sunday will still have chances to see the team practice at one of the five upcoming training camp practices at the CrossCountry Mortgage Campus in Berea.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/08/21 08:28 PM
The 2021 Orange & Brown Practice started with a storm and ended without a cloud in the sky.

Welcome to Cleveland.

More importantly, it was a warm welcome back to FirstEnergy Stadium, where the Browns practiced in front of thousands who patiently waited through a 45-minute weather delay caused by an unexpected thunderstorm that blew through the area. It was a great atmosphere and a nice change of pace for a Browns team that held its first nine practices at the CrossCountry Mortgage Campus.

Sunday provided some extra "juice" for the Browns as they enter their first game week of 2021 with a trip to Jacksonville on the horizon.

"This was incredible. No surprise," Browns coach Kevin Stefanski said. "This is a uniquely loyal fanbase and I appreciate that. Great seeing all the kids out here, people bringing their families out here so that was outstanding. They brought the energy, they definitely brought the juice out here. I know the players responded to that."

Here's what else happened on a fun day by the lake.

— The highlight of the day came midway through the practice, as Case Keenum found Rashard Higgins on a pass that sent Higgins diving into the end zone. Higgins was quick to pop to his feet, adjust his shoulder pads and treat the fans to the first red carpet walk of 2021. Baker Mayfield ran in from the sidelines to pantomime some photographs alongside David Njoku.

— Keenum was sharp throughout the day, throwing the aforementioned touchdown pass to Higgins and a couple more to TE Harrison Bryant. He's an incredible asset for this team to have and has been an ideal backup to Mayfield.

— Bryant's first touchdown grab was particularly good, as he reached over top of rookie S Richard LeCounte III's head to secure the ball and snatch it up and away from LeCounte's hands.

— Mayfield's best sequence came near the end of practice, when he fired a quick out to KhaDarel Hodge, who sprinted untouched into the end zone. He followed on the very next play with a touchdown strike down the middle to Njoku.

— The second-team defense got the best of the first-team offense during the 2-minute drill period to end practice. The second-team offense picked up big yardage after CB Greg Newsome II was flagged for pass interference and scored on a touchdown pass from Keenum to Njoku.

— Donovan Peoples-Jones kept his early training camp momentum rolling at FirstEnergy Stadium with a few more big catches. He continues to find lots of space in the middle of the field on slants, and he did just that on two of his catches, one coming in an early 11-on-11 period and another in a 7-on-7 session.

— Every time Nick Chubb touched the ball, the crowd went wild. Run plays are tough to judge because the team isn't hitting the ball carrier, but there were a handful from Chubb that were definitely set up to pick up significant gains. It goes without saying the Browns, who ranked third in the league with 148.4 rushing yards per game and were one of the best at closing out games with their two-headed monster at running back, should be pretty darn good at running the ball in 2021.

— RB Kareem Hunt had a no-doubter long touchdown run during a team period, as he took an inside handoff, bounced to the left and outraced everyone toward the end zone.

— DT Malik McDowell left midway through the practice because of an oblique injury. Others who did not participate Sunday included S Grant Delpit (hamstring), CB Denzel Ward (rest), WR Anthony Schwartz (hamstring), S Ronnie Harrison Jr. (hamstring) and LB Anthony Walker (knee).

— Without Ward in action, the Browns deployed Newsome and Greedy Williams as their top CBs.

— P Jamie Gillan had a nice period where he appeared to be working through a number of different punts as he looked to pin the ball inside the 20-yard line. JoJo Natson and Ryan Switzer fielded them.

— Speaking of special teams, the Browns had one period of field goal kicking, as Cody Parkey went 3-for-4, missing his last and longest attempt, while Chase McLaughlin made all four of his kicks, including a 49-yarder.

— The Browns are off Monday and will be back in action Tuesday at the CrossCountry Mortgage Campus. They'll practice Wednesday and Thursday, too, before hitting the road Friday to Jacksonville.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/fresh-takes-observations-from-the-orange-brown-practice
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/08/21 08:55 PM
j/c...

Went up with the fam to the practice at the stadium today. Great to be back in there! I wouldn't be surprised if there 20k fans there. It was packed for a practice and the fans were loud.

Some observations:

- Hooper dropped 3 straight passes in 11 on 11s.

- Njoku caught everything thrown his way including 2 TDs and jumped over the DB on fade route in the endzone.

- Hunt and Chubb both look good.

- DPJ was beating his man consistently

- H. Bryant had a nice TD catch on a pass from Baker that was well defended. About a 35 yard pass.

- Ward on the sidelines in shorts.

- Delpit was not in on any team drills

- Saw JOK sitting on the sidelines quite a bit

- Switzer and Natson rotating on punt returns.

- Highlight was a diving catch for a TD to Hollywood from Keenum in front of the Dawg Pound. He rolled out the red carpet, Baker sprinted over to snap the photos with Njoku, crowd went bonkers.

It's going to be wild up at the stadium this year with a packed house. Can't wait.

Posted By: Damanshot Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/08/21 10:22 PM

That would be great news, because he has talent, and he has the physical ability to be a plus level LB. He just has to put it all together.

You gotta remember, he wasn't 100% last year. Had an injury that held him up.. so maybe we're seeing the real Mack now... fingerscrossed
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/08/21 10:25 PM
Battered Fan Syndrome: reading about our high-octane offense abusing the defense and thinking "oh, no, we still can't cover anyone", followed by then reading a blurb about the defense winning a few and thinking "we're going to struggle this year, aren't we?!"

Notable difference in this camp compared to so many prior seasons: we are getting almost no news on several of the rookies and it's no big deal. We took a pretty big name from Ohio State in Tommy Toglai, but we hear almost nothing about him and nobody is batting an eye. Same goes for Schwartz being out with a hammy for as long as he has.

It's a good, and odd, feeling to not be banking everything on every rookie to save us, and praying that the 7th rounder and a few UDFA's play like All Pros.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/08/21 10:36 PM
Battered Fan Syndrome: reading about our high-octane offense abusing the defense and thinking "oh, no, we still can't cover anyone", followed by then reading a blurb about the defense winning a few and thinking "we're going to struggle this year, aren't we?!"

Notable difference in this camp compared to so many prior seasons: we are getting almost no news on several of the rookies and it's no big deal. We took a pretty big name from Ohio State in Tommy Toglai, but we hear almost nothing about him and nobody is batting an eye. Same goes for Schwartz being out with a hammy for as long as he has.

It's a good, and odd, feeling to not be banking everything on every rookie to save us, and praying that the 7th rounder and a few UDFA's play like All Pros.

It feels way different than it ever has.. And that's a good thing...

There is a video someone posted above that shows Togiai chasing Baker and causing him to throw it away.. that was kinda cool
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/08/21 10:59 PM

Battered Fan Syndrome: I keep waking up expecting to see a post that baker is demanding a trade because Haslam junior dissed him or something crazy like that... Pinch me this can't be true...
Posted By: hitt Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/08/21 11:15 PM
Or Johnny M with a wig on gambling in Vegas....how crazy was that culture....we've come a long way baby. Accountability, love it.
Wonder if we will ever see
Takkarist McKinley again....Go Browns!!!
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/09/21 12:33 AM
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/09/21 03:31 AM

Worst case scenario, Browns go 11-6. This seems to be more of a 12-5 or 13-4 team. I've turned into confident Browns fan, borderline "get me to the playoffs already" Patriots type fan.

*Overconfidence is not an ideal character trait!
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/09/21 08:53 AM
No battered fan syndrome for me serve me up year 1 of the next great NFL dynasties. Make it the best one yet!
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/09/21 09:53 AM
Dynasty is usually associated with teams that win championships. Maybe it's best we win one before we start talking about dynasty.

That said, we have a chance to be pretty darn good for a pretty good while.
Posted By: slick Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/09/21 09:55 AM
"DT Malik McDowell left midway through the practice because of an oblique injury"

Hopefully nothing serious. If surgery were to be needed, it's a 3 to 4 month recovery time. I would assume he would be put on IR. As I said though, hopefully nothing to serious
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/09/21 10:43 AM
I think I phrased it just right and that is my expectation anything less and this team fell short of their potential. So far this Ski led team has exceeded every expectation so you raise the bar and that bar now is to win it all, and to rinse and repeat. DYNASTY Get used to it and more importantly learn how to say it cause it's coming.

I see you're still in recovering from battered fan syndrome. I on the other hand have been vaccinated and now believe that it's a forgone conclusion that will win it all, that may not be this season but it's coming. This is the new beginning that we have all been hoping for since the return enjoy it and get vaccinated.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/09/21 11:37 AM
Worst case scenario 11-6.
I wonder who are the 6, or moreso who are the 11 sure thing wins.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/09/21 11:51 AM

Before this baseball season began the Dodgers were predicted to win like 120 games.

My Braves were supposed to challenge the Dodgers. Well it has not turned out that way so far.

This season many predict the Bucs will repeat. Or, the Chiefs are way better than everyone else.

The NFL is tight. It is hard to win. Games are close. It is a long season and it got longer.

Injuries are a part of football and enough can take down any team.

With all that stated I like our chances. The Browns have every ingredient to win it all. We have no single weakness that we need to overcome in order to win.

All we need to win it all is to stay somewhat healthy.

And to have what all teams need to win a Super Bowl a little luck. Sometimes you need a play to go your way.

Long term we have the right people in the right places. Long term is all about drafting well and player development. If you have continuity long term success has a chance.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/09/21 12:36 PM
That's all Higgins does,, catch the ball... thumbsup
Posted By: 10YrOvernightSuccess Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/09/21 12:43 PM
I feel basically the same way. Not going to count chicken because every year some team with high expectations loses the gamble. It’s not battered fan syndrome, it’s reality. We have as good a chance to be legit as any browns team in 30 years but I’m not about to predict winning our division straight away and waltzing into the playoffs.

The biggest risks at this point are key injuries, Baker failing to live up to what we need him to be, and coaching/ play calling having a sophomore slump. That’s the fewest real risk factors we’ve had in as long as I can remember but they’re real risks all the same. Parity in the league means that we (and everyone) have to get a little lucky to win consistently. Injury luck being the most important kind of luck. Your QB not having a slump is next on the list.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/09/21 01:05 PM
How I arrived there. Worst case scenario, best case scenario, and the schedule.
Worst case scenario first 4 games, at KC, Houston, Chicago at Minnesota, 1-3. Losing to Houston with Davis Mills at Qb and 13 former Browns supposedly upgraded, would be unthinkable and a punch toward coaches leaving.

WC scenario Games 5-8, ariz, Denver, Pittsburgh, at Cincinnati, 0-4. Z and D could just catch fire, Pitts: the revenge factor, and Cincy, in a worst case scenario 1-1 on the year Cincys' not good enough to sweep you but in this case Browns are 1-7 ( actually 1-8, I skipped the game at La chargers, and they are, composed of enough all around young talent to give anyone a game.
(at New England, Detroit, At Baltimore and Baltimore.) In the worst case scenario a wins starved Browns team would crush Detroit but lose the others 2-11.
Raiders, At Green Bay, At Pittsburgh, Raiders have a streak going against the Browns, Green bay and Pittsburgh both road games, c'mon, worst case 0-3, 2-14
Final game Cincinnati at home, bottom line, worst case scenario they are not good enough to sweep the Browns 3-14.
(Now, best case scenario, 17-0) 17-0 for the regular season because simply, there is no team in the NFL the Browns can't beat or even sweep this year.

come 2 games off each side, more likely scenario, Browns finish between 5-12 and 15-2. (then, between 7-10, or 13-4). Then, not figuring in any momentum,
likely finish between 9 and 11 wins, so 10 wins.

But, figure in, Momentum +2 games, and figure in the stability of the coaching systems, +1 game,
yet also figure in the unforeseeable and bad luck of some team surprising them, -1 game. that's 12 wins.
Probably, most likely they'll win between 8.5 and 14, 13.5 games, and I'd think it's a moving average, based on all kinds of things that would effect the season and game by game outcomes. No?
So basically, there is a strong outlook of, finishing, 10-7 and missing the playoffs, or 11-6 and making the playoffs, based on the outcome of the OTHER! Pittsburgh game, whatever that means.
Highly pivotal, Yes?
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/09/21 01:16 PM
Pittsburgh was 11-0 last year with Ben throwing dink and dunk passes,and having a decent D. The Browns offense was prolific, but our D pretty well stunk (stank?). I have a lot of confidence that our D will improve immensely this year, AND our O will step up to a new level as well.

I'm so pumped for the games to begin...PLUS I'm getting NFL Ticket and Redzone free because I've been a loyal DirectTV customer! Go figure.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/09/21 01:17 PM
What are these obvious 6 losses;
The Obvious likely losses. (likely to lose)

1. At KC
2, 50% of the At Minnesota then at LA Chargers road duo.
3. At New England
4. and 5. Both Baltimore games.
6. The Green Bay game on the road Christmas day.
( Likely losses ^ playoff berth would hinge on sweeping Pittsburgh.)
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/09/21 01:21 PM
Of course all those things but I am going to go ahead and count the chickens anyway, it makes me feel good........ laugh laugh
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/09/21 02:04 PM
I think I phrased it just right and that is my expectation anything less and this team fell short of their potential. So far this Ski led team has exceeded every expectation so you raise the bar and that bar now is to win it all, and to rinse and repeat. DYNASTY Get used to it and more importantly learn how to say it cause it's coming.

I see you're still in recovering from battered fan syndrome. I on the other hand have been vaccinated and now believe that it's a forgone conclusion that will win it all, that may not be this season but it's coming. This is the new beginning that we have all been hoping for since the return enjoy it and get vaccinated.

Never was a battered fan. I pretty much always have a grip on things. I never bought in to all the hype, nor believed that past performance had any real bearing on future performance and certainly didn't believe in any sort of hex or some such nonsense.

Think what you want, and I hope you are right. Until then, I'll keep keep thinking the way I always have and won't put the cart in front of the horse
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/09/21 02:30 PM

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah joins Jason Gibbs and Andrew Gribble following the Orange & Brown Practice at FirstEnergy Stadium to talk about the day and how his camp is going. The guys also walk you through the sights and sounds of everything they saw at Sunday’s practice.

Paul DePodesta joins the show for an inside look at the team.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/09/21 03:16 PM
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/09/21 03:26 PM
6 to 11 is lighting it up, and almost unstoppable right now.

Meanwhile, we seem to be keeping 6 to 13 under wraps with only isolated drills being visible.

I think we might see us killing KC with both 11 & 13, and finishing things off with 80 & 24/27.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/09/21 03:58 PM
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/09/21 04:54 PM
Yikes. Talk about saying something without saying something.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/09/21 05:31 PM
Yikes. Talk about saying something without saying something.

That's the best way for an NFL player to say something. wink
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/09/21 05:44 PM

There used to be it seemed a famous argument by detractors of Hall of Fame WR. Chris Carter. All he does, is catch touchdowns.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/10/21 04:20 PM

Good. He needed it.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/10/21 04:20 PM

Vice grips, baby!!
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/10/21 04:22 PM
IMO, Bryant is exactly what this offense needs (a TE that can block and catch well). Njoku's blocking came around at the end of last season as well.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/10/21 04:48 PM
More like Haley Swole Osment
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/10/21 05:45 PM
Yet he wasn't even our third WR last season until injuries elevated his status. Maybe Stefnaski got it wrong? wink
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/10/21 06:19 PM
Browns LB Anthony Walker returns to practice as Myles Garrett, Denzel Ward sit out
https://www.news5cleveland.com/sports/br...el-ward-sit-out

BEREA, Ohio — As one player returns, another leaves. Cleveland Browns linebacker Anthony Walker is set to return to practice Tuesday after dealing with a knee injury, but defensive end Myles Garrett will sit out with a hamstring injury.

Head coach Kevin Stefanski said that Walker would be back at practice working through individual drills Tuesday as they ramp him up to return to team activities.

Last Monday, Walker limped off the field after showing signs of a leg injury that afternoon, heading into the facility with trainers under his own power. The next day, Stefanski said Walker had a non-contact knee injury that would not require surgery but would take him out of practice for "a week plus."

Despite suffering the knee injury, Walker remained on the practice fields, staying vocal with his teammates and observing the work his team was doing each day.

But while the Browns had the good news of Walker's return, there was also some less than ideal news as well with Garrett set to miss practice.

Stefanski said Garrett is working through a hamstring injury and will be out of practice Tuesday.

Although Stefanski said Garrett's injury is not considered serious, he will be considered day-to-day as they play it safe with his return.

In addition to Garrett being out, Stefanski said cornerback Denzel Ward will miss Tuesday's practice as we works through some soreness.

Defensive tackle Malik McDowell is still being monitored after leaving the Orange & Brown practice early Sunday with an oblique injury. Stefanski said he wouldn't call the injury "long term" but did say they'll be smart about things when it comes to his return.

The Browns have two more practice before they head down to Jacksonville to take on the Jaguars in their first preseason game Saturday.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/10/21 06:34 PM

Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/10/21 06:51 PM
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/10/21 08:30 PM
Denzel Ward is a talent and a good person but he is injury prone. We need to keep an extra CB just for that reason.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/10/21 08:53 PM
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/10/21 09:13 PM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
More like Haley Swole Osment

Posted By: Pdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/10/21 09:16 PM

Don't read too much into this. Gustin and Malveaux were the starters with Clowney and Garrett out.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/10/21 09:26 PM
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/10/21 09:33 PM

Some guy named "Blake?"
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/10/21 09:39 PM
I know to not read into it, but it's hard to not try to read into it a bit when you see JOK as 3rd String. Looks like he may be a bit of a project.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/10/21 09:42 PM

Don't read too much into this. Gustin and Malveaux were the starters with Clowney and Garrett out.

Takk is still on sabbatical, and I guess it *may* be a little telling in where Weaver stands.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/10/21 09:46 PM
I know to not read into it, but it's hard to not try to read into it a bit when you see JOK as 3rd String. Looks like he may be a bit of a project.

He did miss the first week of camp with covid. He was being eased back at first.

The real surprise is Wilson. He has been lighting it up by all accounts. It will be an interesting position to watch this preseason.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/10/21 09:50 PM
I am definitely looking forward to seeing how he does in Jacksonville.

Like... is it hype, or is it real? Is he the #1 because he's earning it, or because nobody else is?
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/10/21 10:51 PM
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG

There used to be it seemed a famous argument by detractors of Hall of Fame WR. Chris Carter. All he does, is catch touchdowns.

Higgins get so little love around the league.. I don't understand it. I get he's not the fastest guy... But he always seems to get himself in a position to be where he needs to be to make a play.

He makes plays.. He's a guy you can count on..

But lets be fair, if teams weren't worried About Beckham or Landry, would Higgins be that open? I don't know the answer. I'm not sure it's even a fair question.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/10/21 11:19 PM

Takk is still on sabbatical, and I guess it *may* be a little telling in where Weaver stands.

Forgot all about Weaver until my brother brought him up the other night. He seems to be having a quiet camp. Is he fully recovered from that toe injury?
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/10/21 11:58 PM

Nice lead block by Conklin.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/11/21 12:11 AM

BrownsZone with Scott Petrak
BrownsZone with Scott Petrak

Strong, smart and studious, Tommy Togiai has chance to be big part of defensive lineby Scott PetrakAugust 10, 2021

Tommy Togiai has spent much of his life lifting weights. He started when he was in the fifth grade, bench pressed 225 pounds three years later, routinely headed back to the gym after football practice and did 40 reps at 225 during the Ohio State pro day before the draft.

So the only surprising thing about a July trip to his hometown gym in Idaho during the break before training camp was how much iron was on the bar. With his brothers and an old friend watching, he set a personal record of 545 pounds on the bench, doing two reps.

“I’m talking to strength coaches (with the Browns), it’s just kind of like if you really want to push yourself, you’ve got to push yourself those days when you really feel good,” said Togiai, whose previous best was 520. “So I wanted to push myself.”

The hustling, humble 6-foot-2, 296-pound defensive tackle was a fourth-round pick by the Browns on May 1. He’s competing for playing time in the crowded interior and is expected to be part of the rotation behind starters Malik Jackson and Andrew Billings.

ADVERTISEMENT
The staggering bench press numbers are noteworthy for a couple of reasons. They reflect his upbringing and work ethic and provide insight into the Browns’ belief that he can be part of their future.

“The weight room aspect of things and training and all that, it transfers over to the football field,” Togiai told The Chronicle-Telegram on Saturday. “All the things you can do in the weight room you can use out on the field. So getting stronger, getting faster, explosiveness, all those things can correlate to football.

“So that’s why I love lifting because it helps me on the field.”

Coach Kevin Stefanski said Togiai is doing everything the coaches ask. The work has led to improvement, and the strength to on-field success.

“You see it when the pads are on and those guys come off of the ball and can extend their arms versus the offensive line,” Stefanski said. “You can definitely see that power.”

Start ’em young
The fire was lit by his dad, Talalelei, who grew up in American Samoa and played rugby.

“His dad is a brick house, he really is,” Ohio State associate head coach/defensive line coach Larry Johnson recently told The Chronicle. “(Tommy is) big and strong and he’s lifted all of his life. His dad would tell stories how he’d get them to run around the house for hours, just part of their regimen.”

Togiai confirmed the training tales. Starting when he was 10, he joined his siblings for laps around the house, estimating the circuit at a couple of miles. Talalelei worked long days at a food packaging company and when he got home would ask everyone if they had completed them.

“It definitely instilled kind of a mental toughness and also a physical toughness,” Togiai said. “And how to set a routine.”

Humility was another trait stressed by Talalelei.

“My dad and my mom grew up on that, especially in Polynesian culture,” Togiai said. “Respecting your elders is a big thing in our culture. Always respecting my elders and always just trying to learn.”

He doesn’t have to look far to see how rare strength translates to success in the NFL. Billings was the high school power-lifting state champion in Texas after dead-lifting 705 pounds, squatting 805 and benching 500, and line coach Chris Kiffin called him the strongest guy he’s ever seen.

“Just seeing him hit the sleds and do that stuff and see him do some stuff in the weight room, it’s crazy,” Togiai said. “Shoot, we’re going to push each other just to get better and keep getting stronger, keep training and working to get better.”

Hustle and show
Togiai’s game is more than strength. He’s 30 pounds lighter than Billings and has the quickness and stamina to finish plays on the sideline.

He pressured Baker Mayfield into an incompletion Sunday during the two-minute drill at FirstEnergy Stadium, a play consistent with his film at Ohio State. He was second-team All-Big Ten in 2020 after 23 tackles, 4½ for loss.

“He’s got a great mindset such that he understands how to work hard. That’s why you see a lot of great hustle from him,” Johnson said. “I think that’s his key to success. And I saw him in high school play middle linebacker in practice and I remember walking out, wow, that is impressive for a guy that big.”

Togiai credits his family and high school coaches.

“I carried that with me, and then especially when I was at Ohio State, Coach Johnson, that was one of his things that he lived upon,” he said. “D-line, run to the ball, show 110 percent effort every play. That was one thing I bought into and, shoot, I think it’s helping me now.”

Togiai was a four-star recruit despite coming out of Idaho. Buzz like that carries the expectation of making plays, not just clogging the middle. Togiai had all three of his career sacks against Penn State last year, earning Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week, and added two passes defensed and a forced fumble in his third and final season in Columbus.

“Tommy for us is a really good scheme fit,” Browns director of player personnel Dan Saganey said during the draft. “We look for penetrating guys up front. We think he is a strong, disruptive player with high upside.”

Johnson declared Togiai a playmaker with the ability to be a third-down pass rusher.

“He can change a game in a heartbeat, and you don’t know when he’s going to change it,” Johnson said. “He runs around, flies to the football. He’s been doing this for a while. It’s in his DNA.

“I think Tommy’s got a chance to be really special, I really do. I’m not just saying that because I coached him.”

Fitting in
Togiai will likely begin the year as a rotational player on early downs. The Browns have Jackson, Billings and Jordan Elliott at tackle, and ends Myles Garrett and Jadeveon Clowney can rush from the inside in passing situations.

Togiai said he’s trying to figure out his role.

“What really can I bring to the team, stay on this team and really try to bring something new to the table that can help this team win,” he said.

He believes his football IQ gives him an edge as he transitions to the NFL. He developed film-watching skills at Ohio State that allow him to identify keys shown by the offense.

“I think it’s helped me so far,” Togiai said. “I’m still gonna try to apply it for more.”

His ability to learn quickly was evident when he abandoned his roots upon hearing his name called in the draft. He became a Steelers fan as a kid because of Samoan safety Troy Polamalu, who was inducted into the Hall of Fame this weekend.

“I threw that out the window as soon as I got drafted here,” Togiai said.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/11/21 12:19 AM

Mack with the PBU
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/11/21 12:55 AM

Nathan Zegura talks with Browns Line Backer Sione Takitaki about his performance throughout Training Camp, highlights from todays practice, and more!
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/11/21 01:24 AM
Thanks for posting
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/11/21 01:52 AM

Probably due to the time away from the field for covid. I think he will play game 1, maybe not as a starter, but he will play.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/11/21 01:16 PM
I forgot he had The Rona. That's a lot of time lost at a critical time; definitely a setback in development.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/11/21 04:02 PM
I forgot he had The Rona. That's a lot of time lost at a critical time; definitely a setback in development.

I think he didn't actually have it.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/11/21 06:20 PM

Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/11/21 07:21 PM
Posted By: bonefish Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/11/21 07:44 PM

Love hearing that
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/11/21 08:28 PM
Wasn't working
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/11/21 08:42 PM
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/11/21 09:30 PM

I think he didn't actually have it.

He had it, but no symptoms...
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/12/21 12:24 AM

Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/12/21 12:25 AM
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/12/21 12:40 AM
I believe Teller is gone after this season. I'm glad we have Callahan to train his replacement.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/12/21 03:32 AM
I believe Teller is gone after this season. I'm glad we have Callahan to train his replacement.

if we really want we will be able to tag him for a year
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/12/21 05:08 AM

All these guys want to be here and stay here. There is a fair chance he will resign at a reasonable rate. Heard a few talking heads allude to it and I think the players may be pitching it amongst themselves. I think Chubb doing that was huge.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/12/21 07:33 AM
We can’t pay everybody. It’s a nice problem to have in some respects, but we are not likely to tag him (roughly 18 million, says one site, to franchise a guard).

Love Teller, but he’s probably gone after this season and we will have to groom/sign his replacement. Let’s hope our final image of him is at the parade, but after that, Callahan knows how to develop O-linemen. Therefore I’m not too worried.
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/12/21 10:23 AM
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg

All these guys want to be here and stay here. There is a fair chance he will resign at a reasonable rate. Heard a few talking heads allude to it and I think the players may be pitching it amongst themselves. I think Chubb doing that was huge.

Based on what Teller said I think he is going to a be a guy who goes for the money. I agree that we have a lot of guys here who came here or have stayed here because they love everything about the team and are very comfortable with being here and that is really very important to them. They took less to be a part of something bigger then them.

For Teller it sure sounds like dollars for him. I wish him well but we won't be breaking the bank for him. In the end he may have a huge change of heart once we bring home the Lombardi. Based on what he said I don't see us re-signing him. He will get his dollars but not here is my bet. It's disappointing but I feel good about our ability to replace him.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/12/21 10:24 AM
Landry is due 15 mil next year with a 1 mil cap hit. I think I would cut him and keep Teller.
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/12/21 10:25 AM
Landry is due 15 mil next year with a 1 mil cap hit. I think I would cut him and keep Teller.

SMH, wow
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/12/21 10:52 AM

SMH, wow

Why??

I think keeping Teller is more important to the long term health of the team.

I don't want to cut Landry, but he is paid a ton and his role looks to be diminishing if DPJ is breaking out.
Posted By: Southwestdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/12/21 12:03 PM

I'm so pumped for the games to begin...PLUS I'm getting NFL Ticket and Redzone free because I've been a loyal DirectTV customer! Go figure.

I have been with Direct TV for over a decade and what do you know, I also seem to be getting the NFL Ticket free. I was going to cancel my service and go with streaming services, but my wife axed that. She wants to watch Dexter when it comes back on Showtime.
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/12/21 12:12 PM
Try Apollo TV Group for all your viewing wants and needs for a fraction of the cost, no BS. I pay $12.53 a month for everything and when I say everything I mean everything. People don't believe me when I tell them. They have a free trial and the price is in the $20 now but still an unbelievable bargain. You pay by the year BTW. Oh and I highly recommend you get a VPN which will set you back @80 for 4-5 years.

You owe me a drink to BTW.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/12/21 12:14 PM
As I understand it, we're running the same blocking scheme that Denver used to run back in the day when they manufactured RB's annually. I believe it is Callahan's specialty/signature.

If need be, I believe we can train up a replacement for Teller that will be more than adequate. It's all about scouting for a type, which this FO does very well.

That said, I'd prefer it if Teller makes himself some money, but remains affordable for the bigger picture.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/12/21 12:27 PM

SMH, wow

Why??

I don't want to cut Landry, but he is paid a ton and his role looks to be diminishing if DPJ is breaking out.

Depends on how you look at it.. That is also 1.5 million we can't use to bring in another player. OBJ and Landry will be pretty much done after 2022. Which, feels like is our window to win a Superbowl.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/12/21 12:29 PM

I have been a direct tv customer for a long time.

Did you call them for this free deal?

Posted By: bonefish Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/12/21 12:34 PM

Does it have the NFL package to watch all games?
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/12/21 12:59 PM
Yes, and a sports on Demand that allows you to watch games without ads. Baseball, Hockey, Basketball. Like I said everything 4K channels.

You owe me a drink.
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/12/21 01:04 PM
10 Day Free trail if your paying for Direct TV your getting ripped off. Take the 10 days check it out, you'll love it I promise.

I cannot recommend this any higher. Huge bang for your buck and it's 13.35 per month your crazy if you don't check it out I bet you anything you signup and will never be disappointed.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/12/21 01:28 PM

thanks.

I will check it out.
Posted By: Southwestdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/12/21 01:50 PM

I have been a direct tv customer for a long time.

Did you call them for this free deal?

No I didn't call them. I paid for the package 2 years ago and last year they sent me an email saying they were letting me have it for free. I didn't get a message this year so thought it was a one year deal. I checked this morning and it showed I got if for free again this year.

To answer one of the other questions I read here, yes it includes every game.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/12/21 04:06 PM
While you have a great point, the entire "if DPJ is breaking out" is one huge question mark. We've seen this movie before and if we played the odds based on how it's went thus far, the odds are that movie isn't going to end the way we want it to.

I'm sure we all hope it does, but that's far from being settled.
Posted By: thedawggene Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/12/21 04:20 PM
Just to piggyback on that PIT, don't you all see DPJ as more of a potential replacement for OBJ, and Higgins as more of a potential replacement for Jarvis? That's how I've been viewing it, but would be interested in hearing others views on skill sets, offensive role, etc.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/12/21 04:27 PM
I agree with you in terms of what their skill sets seems to be. I however do think that the skill set of DPJ could be transferred into filling the role of Landry. He seems to be a fairly good route runner and has speed. So I wouldn't say his skill set would disqualify him.

But on the surface, based on what we know and how these two are currently being used, I would say you're correct.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/12/21 04:59 PM

A new Cleveland Browns leader, Malik Jackson aiming to build what he says fuels title runs

BEREA — Malik Jackson has yet to play a down for the Browns, but he has already made a difference.

When NFL players switch teams, it can take a while for them to establish a commanding presence in a new environment, yet there are also outliers who bring instant leadership to a locker room.

A free-agent acquisition in March, Jackson fits the second category.

“Having him on the team is like having an extra coach,” Andrew Billings, who's projected to start at defensive tackle alongside Jackson, said last week during training camp.

In June, Jackson spearheaded a defensive line get-together at House of Athlete, a state-of-the-art training facility in Weston, Florida, founded by former NFL wide receiver Brandon Marshall. Jackson, Billings and All-Pro end Myles Garrett were among about seven Browns defensive linemen who worked out for three days under the guidance of Troy Jones, HOA's director of performance science and education.

“Brandon Marshall has a great spot down there at House of Athlete. Working with Troy, it was really an honor. I took the D-line down there during the OTAs and we were able to work with the coach, just get together, have a little fun, do some work,” Jackson told the Beacon Journal last week.

“We were able to have a good time together, laugh together, really speak, get to know each other's voices, just get to understand who each other are, and I thought it was a good experience.”

Cleveland Browns defensive tackle Malik Jackson trains under the guidance of Troy Jones at House of Athlete in Weston, Florida.
Cleveland Browns defensive tackle Malik Jackson trains under the guidance of Troy Jones at House of Athlete in Weston, Florida.
PHOTO COURTESY OF TROY JONES
Myles Garrett looks to take charge, too: Star defensive end thinks his leadership more important than ever: 'We've had the talent' before

Jackson, 31, is one of two Browns players who has won what is now in the organization's crosshairs — a Super Bowl. The other is linebacker Malcolm Smith. Coincidentally, they have known each other since their days growing up in the San Fernando Valley. Jackson said Smith was the first person he called when the Browns came into focus as a suitor.

The appeal of reuniting with another familiar face — defensive coordinator Joe Woods — led Jackson to the Browns. Woods knows Jackson well and wanted him to become an important piece of the puzzle as General Manager Andrew Berry overhauled the defense in the offseason.

“[Woods is] the reason I came,” said Jackson, who joined the Browns by signing a one-year deal worth $4.5 million with incentives.

As a member of the 2015 Denver Broncos, Jackson recovered a fumble by quarterback Cam Newton in the end zone for his first and only career touchdown in a 24-10 victory over the Carolina Panthers in Super Bowl 50. At the time, Woods was the Broncos' defensive backs coach.

Joe Woods not feeling more pressure with influx of talent on defense: 'I've been on the hot seat for 30 years'

The title run taught Jackson camaraderie among players is “the most important” ingredient to success in the NFL, and it's exactly what he has been striving to build with his new linemates, whether their quality time has been spent at House of Athlete, CrossCountry Mortgage Campus in Berea or elsewhere.

“If I tell you, 'come on, man, get your s--- together,' I'm not coming from a mean place. I'm coming from a place where we've just got to get it. I've seen what your best is, so if we don't have that camaraderie and you're thinking I'm being disrespectful and you're taking it to the streets, that's not what it is,” Jackson said.

“Being able to come together, have a conversation, understand who each other are, how we talk, what happens when we get mad, but still understanding, still letting everybody know, it's still about respect and it's always going to be about respect [is vital].”

Asked Tuesday what Jackson has brought to the Browns, the first word out of coach Kevin Stefanski's mouth was "leadership."

The Browns hope their revamped defense can establish enough trust and chemistry to hit the ground running in the Sept. 12 regular-season opener against the defending AFC champion Kansas City Chiefs.

Stefanski said having veterans like Jackson, linebacker Anthony Walker Jr., safety John Johnson III and nickelback Troy Hill among the new faces bodes well for the defense.

"Guys who aren't afraid to take leadership roles on is important when you're talking about a defense jelling or a team jelling," Stefanski said.

Cleveland Browns' Malik Jackson donates Juneteenth books to students
Jackson's leadership extends beyond football.

He is committed to donating copies of the Juneteenth-themed children's book “All Different Now: Juneteenth, the First Day of Freedom” written by Angela Johnson and illustrated by E.B. Lewis. Students from George Washington Carver STEM School in the Cleveland Metropolitan School District received books in June. Jackson said he and his camp are working on sending more books to other schools and libraries in the area.

Malik Jackson is committed to donating copies of the Juneteenth-themed children's book “All Different Now: Juneteenth, the First Day of Freedom” written by Angela Johnson and illustrated by E.B. Lewis.
AKRON BEACON JOURNAL
President Joe Biden signed legislation two months ago to make Juneteenth a federal holiday. On June 19, 1865, Union soldiers arrived in Galveston, Texas, where Maj. Gen. Gordon Granger announced all slaves were free.

“We'd like to hopefully [donate books] all around the country, but just want to start in the community that's blessing me,” Jackson said. “It really was on my heart because of what Juneteenth meant to me. A lot of people think that it just became a holiday, but it's been a holiday for decades. It just finally got that significance [of being established as a federal holiday].

"I wanted to let these kids know the truth about what really happened. The book allows a parent to really dictate the conversation with how much they want to tell depending on how young the kid is."

Malik Jackson is feeling good nearly two years removed from foot injury
Although the impact Jackson would like to have on the community transcends sports, he knows people are counting on him to deliver on the field, too.

“He's a missile,” linebacker Sione Takitaki said. “You want guys like that up front that disrupt things and get after the quarterback. It starts up front with our defense.”

A Pro Bowl selection with the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2017, Jackson suffered a Lisfranc injury as a member of the Philadelphia Eagles in the 2019 opener and underwent season-ending foot surgery.

Malik Jackson suffered a season-ending injury with the Philadelphia Eagles in 2019 but returned to play 15 games in 2020.

Jackson rebounded last year to play 15 of 16 games, with one start, for the Eagles, but he said in March “mental blocks” coming off a major injury interfered with his 2020 season. He logged 48.8% of the snaps and had 28 tackles, 2½ sacks, 13 quarterback hits, two passes defensed and a fumble recovery. He finished 61st among the 125 qualifying defensive tackles ProFootballFocus.com graded.

“I feel good. I'm not thinking about the foot too much anymore. I'm not worried about how it's going to feel or if I do something. So that's taking a lot of worry off my mind,” Jackson said.

“I'm just ready for this season to get started, to really go out here and reach these incentives that the team has blessed me with and really just get these team goals and get as far as we can. We understand what we have and what we can accomplish, but we've just got to get it done. I'm just ready to continue to build myself out here [in camp], but really when that season comes, turn it on and just be exactly who I know I am.”

Malik Jackson isn't as low-key as Myles Garrett, Jadeveon Clowney
Jackson said playing on a line with former No. 1 overall draft picks Garrett and Jadeveon Clowney at right and left end “boosts up the expectations” for the entire group. Jackson has been learning their personalities and styles.

“Myles is super quiet. He just gets his work done. Then you turn on the film, and you're like, 'Wow, he's showing up,'” Jackson said. “Clowney, he's really the same. Just quiet. Comes out here, tells all the jokes, really funny guy. But when you turn on the film, there's nothing funny about it.”

Browns

Jackson's demeanor is different. After two-time Pro Bowl running back Nick Chubb broke off a long gain to the left in an 11-on-11 period Tuesday, Jackson yelled toward the offense's players and coaches, challenging them to run the ball directly at him.

“I'm talking s---. I'm in your face. I'm letting you know what's up,” he said.

Jackson knows firsthand what a dominant pass rush can accomplish. The Broncos had 14 sacks in their three 2015 playoff games, including the Super Bowl. Von Miller had five postseason sacks. DeMarcus Ware had 3½. Jackson's fumble recovery for a TD came off a Miller strip-sack.

The Browns dream of their defensive front dominating in similar fashion.

“We've just got to go out there and do it,” Jackson said. “That's just staying healthy, knowing our plays, and when we get out there, just play fast and physical. I know with our two ends, they're going to get that done.

“It's just up to me and Andrew [Billings] and everybody else on the inside just to match that intensity and make sure we are where we're supposed to be, so when they make that quarterback step up, we're right there. We'll play hard. We'll play together. We have four dogs on that D-line at all times, and we're just going to go after it and get it.”

Posted By: oobernoober Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/12/21 05:33 PM
For sure... I'm not saying we should hand him OBJ's spot at this point. The guy needs to show up in gametime, and I think he'll get plenty of chances to do that this season.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/12/21 06:04 PM
I think we're very much on the same page. The objective is to develop your draft picks and UDFA's where as time goes on they can be prepared to replace your much higher priced players. The salary cap dictates this is how a team must do things to stay at the top. For anyone who thinks otherwise they just need to look at how BB managed the Patriots. Yes he had Brady. But as it pertains to the rest of the roster he changed personnel around at the drop of a hat when a players price got too high.

As for myself I think it's obvious the current powers that be understand that and are deploying that strategy. It's too early in the process to know how well they will accomplish that but signs are leaning in a positive direction. But each player has his own timeline. How fast or how quickly that comes to fruition is certainly not set in stone.

My best guess is that even if these young WR's don't develop quickly, this FO will certainly not offer either OBJ or Landry any long term extension. At that point even if they're still needed they won't be looked at as a long term solution.

So it may be that even of we could still use them due to the youngsters not being quite ready for prime time, the problem could end up being that neither of them would be willing to agree to a short term deal and they could end up leaving regardless.
Posted By: thedawggene Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/12/21 06:35 PM
Totally agree with those points.

I would still probably overpay on another Landry contract, to a degree. He's just so good for this team above his statline. But it's a no-brainer that we can't keep both, and if Jarvis wants a big payday, I guess you let him go find it.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/12/21 07:22 PM
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/12/21 07:36 PM
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/12/21 08:23 PM
Seems like JJ3 was a good acquisition for sure.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/12/21 08:28 PM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
While you have a great point, the entire "if DPJ is breaking out" is one huge question mark. We've seen this movie before and if we played the odds based on how it's went thus far, the odds are that movie isn't going to end the way we want it to.

I'm sure we all hope it does, but that's far from being settled.

Right, and by seasons end, we should know. I am not talking about signing and cutting people right now.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/12/21 08:35 PM

SMH, wow

Why??

Depends on how you look at it.. That is also 1.5 million we can't use to bring in another player. OBJ and Landry will be pretty much done after 2022. Which, feels like is our window to win a Superbowl.

The fact landry is done after next year is another reason. Landry is through 23 if I am not mistaken. As for the dead money, I said 1 mil, you said 1.5, it doesn't matter and I don't think that 1.5 will make all that much of a difference. We can "find" 1.5 mil one way or the other if it really makes a difference in getting a good player.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/12/21 08:53 PM
Try Apollo TV Group for all your viewing wants and needs for a fraction of the cost, no BS. I pay $12.53 a month for everything and when I say everything I mean everything. People don't believe me when I tell them. They have a free trial and the price is in the $20 now but still an unbelievable bargain. You pay by the year BTW. Oh and I highly recommend you get a VPN which will set you back @80 for 4-5 years.

You owe me a drink to BTW.

"Is Apollo Group TV Legal?
It’s impossible for TROYPOINT to determine whether these unverified IPTV services hold the proper licensing.

If and when an IPTV service is deemed illegal, we notify our users immediately and update reports on our Website to reflect that information.

At first glance, it would appear that Apollo Group TV may be distributing copyrighted content without the proper licensing.

In conclusion, the end-user is responsible for all content accessed through Free IPTV Apps and paid services such as Apollo Group TV."
https://www.bing.com/search?q=is+apollo+tv+legal&FORM=QSRE5

No Thanks. It's probably why the trials are closed and they want payment in full, up front.

Nobody owes me a drink. I don't like to see my fellow dawgs in a legal mess. If you can't get it through a app store, stay away.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/12/21 09:42 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/12/21 09:45 PM
Training Camp Log, Day 13: Jordan Elliott tries to add weight after losing 20 pounds

https://www.brownszone.com/2021/08/12/tr...sing-20-pounds/

TIPPING THE SCALES: Defensive tackle Jordan Elliott wanted to run better, so he lost 20 pounds in the offseason and said he’s at 285. The coaches want him a bit stronger, so he’s trying to get back up to around 300.

“Yeah, there is going to be a little loss of strength with that, but it is coming back,” said Elliott, a third-round pick in 2020. “I have to just eat — as simple as that. Just being consistent with that, staying in the weight room and putting on lean muscle.”

He’s expected to be part of the tackle rotation behind starters Malik Jackson and Andrew Billings.

NEWS OF THE DAY: Coach Kevin Stefanski moved up practice about an hour to 1:30 p.m. to beat potential storms. He wanted to work outside after practicing in the field house Wednesday.

“I know the big guys prefer to be on the grass as opposed to inside,” he said.

Likely due to the time change, the crowd was the smallest of camp. Stefanski led the team toward the bleachers after the session and they thanked the fans for coming out early.

Majority of starters won’t play in preseason opener, and Kevin Stefanski won’t say if they’ll play at all before Week 1

CAMPER OF THE DAY: The practice was light on action, but tight end Austin Hooper set up and scored the winning touchdown in a two-minute drill. He caught a pass over the middle, then got free down the left sideline for a 10-yard touchdown from Baker Mayfield with no time left.

(CONTROVERSIAL) PLAY OF THE DAY: Tight end Harrison Bryant came down with the deep out from Mayfield, but safety John Johnson III came up gesturing for an offensive pass interference call. Johnson had a point. Bryant nudged Johnson in the back with both hands to create the necessary separation.

QUOTE OF THE DAY: “Ant is a huge, huge leader. Ant knows what it means to be able to lock in day in and day out. He keys in on the smaller aspects of the game. Not really the broad aspects of the entire play, but he’ll sit you down to focus on the small formations of the offense, being able to focus on the personnel, the small keys a quarterback might give you. He’s been an extreme help for the young guys, specifically me.” — Rookie linebacker Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah on middle linebacker Anthony Walker Jr.

FRIDAY’S SCHEDULE: The team will travel to Jacksonville for Saturday’s game. The next practice in Berea is Tuesday at 2:25 p.m. It’s open to the fans.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/12/21 11:46 PM

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/13/21 10:31 AM

I’m excited to see him play this weekend
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/13/21 03:03 PM
They should move practice times to 4:25 pm, they have 4 games at 4 pm on the schedule and 2 night games, and regularly don't play well in 4 pm games.
Posted By: LexDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/13/21 09:09 PM
Tomorrow can't come fast enough!
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/13/21 10:18 PM
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
They should move practice times to 4:25 pm, they have 4 games at 4 pm on the schedule and 2 night games, and regularly don't play well in 4 pm games.

A good point.

It may not matter now, but the week of games I sure would.

On west coast trips, rather than fly out on Friday, which I think they do now, I'd make it Thursday after a morning practice, though that might not matter as much because going back east is when most people get the lag.

I think on those trips the team flys back after the game, getting in around 2am. I am wondering if it would be better to just stay on the west coast, catch a 7am flight back to Cleveland and be in around 2 in the afternoon on Monday.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/17/21 05:43 PM
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/17/21 06:35 PM
j/c...

Posted By: Pdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/17/21 07:28 PM
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/17/21 07:33 PM
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/17/21 07:35 PM
j/c...

Nice read on Davion Davis by Camryn Justice...

Posted By: Pdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/17/21 07:54 PM
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/17/21 08:08 PM
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/17/21 08:35 PM
You need to go and do a bit of reading it isn't illegal to receive a TV signal from anyone it is however illegal to distribute a signal or share it. That said and under the law by receiving this service you aren't breaking any law. That is a FACT BTW.

I questioned it as well and went and read the law, you aren't doing a thing wrong by receiving this service, NOTHING.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/17/21 09:11 PM
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/17/21 09:41 PM
What's LB Anthony Walker's status?
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/17/21 09:51 PM
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/18/21 12:01 AM

He's practicing.
Posted By: FATE Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/18/21 12:03 AM

Stud LB ~ Cleveland Browns
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/18/21 12:24 AM
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/18/21 01:27 AM

"That's my Quarterback."
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/18/21 10:04 AM

He is showing up, but probably for some other team.

The WR room is pretty full. We just drafted two players that will make the team in Schwartz and Felton.

Yes, I think Felton will be counted as a WR when the team starts making final cuts and not so much against the RB room. In the end I see Felton taking Landrys spot and fill the slot position.

No, not this year.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/18/21 07:06 PM
j/c...
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/18/21 07:24 PM
That sucks, hope it's not serious.

Press conference BEFORE practice today:

Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/18/21 08:10 PM
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/18/21 08:51 PM
Posted By: bonefish Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/18/21 10:24 PM

One thing I find interesting is that when any player or coach is asked about jok.

They all seem impressed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNwg06qYslY

When you watch him at his pro day. The guy moves differently. Scouts etc. use the word "twitchie".

It is all about reaction speed. Short area quickness and being explosive.

JOK is all that. He is a fun player to watch. Anthony Walker right away has established himself within the team as a leader. He is respected. Players go to him seeking advice. He has played with great players like Darius Leonard. When asked about JOK. He basically said "I told you this guy can play."

I am really looking forward to watching him in a Browns uniform.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/18/21 10:55 PM
So do you like JOK?

Only kidding...we get it.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/18/21 11:10 PM

Guilty as charged.

Honestly, I can't help myself.

It has been a long time since I have seen a player like him.

The first two guys that come to mind are Sean Taylor and Ed Reed. I could throw in Polamalu.

Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/19/21 02:16 AM
I'd like to add Don Rodgers to that list. Tragically, a life and career that ended way too soon but a player that I believe would have had a great career.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/19/21 05:55 AM
wow.

I forgot about Don Rogers.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/19/21 06:10 AM
Posted By: bonefish Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/19/21 10:48 AM

I thought of Don Rodgers.

But his career and life were over before it really had begun.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/19/21 12:15 PM
Thom Darden was the best safety we ever had.
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/19/21 12:43 PM

One thing I find interesting is that when any player or coach is asked about jok.

They all seem impressed.

When you watch him at his pro day. The guy moves differently. Scouts etc. use the word "twitchie".

JOK is all that. He is a fun player to watch. Anthony Walker right away has established himself within the team as a leader. He is respected. Players go to him seeking advice. He has played with great players like Darius Leonard. When asked about JOK. He basically said "I told you this guy can play."

JOK's closing speed was/is amazing to watch.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/19/21 12:46 PM

All the comparisons are to safety's.

You look at JOK and his number and size. You watch him move and that is how you relate to him.

But this guy is a linebacker.

Polamalu often lined up like a backer but he also played a traditional safety.

JOK is not going to act like a linebacker and shed a blocker. He doesn't want linemen or other blockers to get their hands on him.

When you watch the Jags game and see a running back try and block him. He went right past the guy. Interior linemen don't get to square him up.

As a blitzer he is a problem.

On one of his college tapes there is a pitch to the back.
The back has a slight bobble. JOK was on the guy as he got the pitch. He took the ball away from him and scored a TD.

It was incredible. I have never seen that before.

Over the next two pre-season games I want to see him in coverage and get a pick. I think it will happen.

Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/19/21 12:49 PM
They had an interesting piece on the NFL network yesterday about injuries and most injuries happen in training camp oddly.

This is a huge set back for Delpit but it is a minor injury and also can be one of the if not the most nagging injuries a player can face. In plain English hammy's are SOB's.

Shut him down get him healthy, give him a work load that doesn't or won't further stress that hammy and pray he gets rid of it. This truly is just one of those things that happen to players thank God it isn't career ending he just needs time and treatment. It's not likely he will get up and running when the season begins but at some point he should be available. We have other options so next man up.
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/19/21 12:51 PM
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847

They all seem impressed.

And although it's a very small sample size so far, I don't see his head ever lowering to make a hit. Smart...for health and penalties.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/19/21 12:54 PM

I probably agree with that. Felix Wright did a great job for us and my favorite was Eric Turner (RIP).
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/19/21 01:26 PM
Originally Posted By: jfanent

I probably agree with that. Felix Wright did a great job for us and my favorite was Eric Turner (RIP).

Eric Turner,, yeah,,he was the man for sure.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/19/21 03:00 PM
j/c:

Posted By: FATE Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/19/21 03:10 PM
Look at that concentration and the way he "looks" that big football into his tiny hands!
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/19/21 03:34 PM
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847

They all seem impressed.

And although it's a very small sample size so far, I don't see his head ever lowering to make a hit. Smart...for health and penalties.

I also noticed how wide he throws his arms as he goes in for the tackle. Its like he's making sure he's able to wrap them up.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/19/21 03:39 PM
JOK is not perfect.
There were 3 Browns shows to watch about the same time, Training camp, building the browns, and the preseason game on replay.

I saw a couple of snaps of the replay game, vs Jacksonville last week.
one in the 3rd quarter. Wow.

JOK 28 got pushed around like a light weight boxer. (In the 3rd quarter iirc)

On the lower screen of the broadcast, left to right Jax off. right side of the off, left side of the defense.
After the snap, bam blocked on his right shoulder, then blocked on his left shoulder, then blocked on his right shoulder again, back and forth.
13 yards down field JOK adds onto the tackle with an outside shoulder bump block (no wrap up), and just a minimal ferocity.

Just one of maybe 4-5 snaps of that replay game I saw trying to watch the OL, it's just, the point is nobody is a super hero.
The Local media sure likes to push their naratives and some of them are pretending the Browns are super heros,
and some of those spots are where back ups, are replacing back ups, as starters and nobody earned the spot.

Thought about this yesterday. Which Browns CB starter, beat his prior starter for the starting spot, in camp competition.
Denzel Ward. Troy Hill, Greedy Williams, or Greg Newsome, or None of the above.
Add the safeties in the question too; Ronnie Harrison, Grant Delpit, John Johnson, or Richard LeCounte, or none of the above.

Now, before someone jumps in that clearly, JJ3 would have beaten Sendejo in training camp for the spot, if they were pitted against each other. ( I'm not saying that he would or wouldn't), what I'm saying is, that once again, that process never took place, in camp
like it would have happened in 1980-1989 on any team in the NFL, starting spots were never/rarely handed out on reputation and media hype or draft order, or even all the previous players left the team in free agency or retirement or waiver wire.
(but in 2000-2021 it's like seats on a carnival ride)
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/19/21 03:52 PM
j/c:

We are cornering the market on JoJos .......
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/19/21 04:16 PM
j/c:

They cut DT Damion Square
Posted By: jfanent Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/19/21 04:18 PM

Sing along.....

JoJo left his home in Tucson Arizona,
To kick some Pittsburgh Steeler ass
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/19/21 04:22 PM
JoJo Ward WR udfa in 2020 played college at Hawaii, totaled 20 tds in 2 years with a 4 td game against Oregon st. or Oregon. 17.5 average, that's pretty good.
consistently ran quicker than 4.5 in the 40. So Far only an offseason or practice squad player.

Cornering the market on Jojo's? how about Wards', TJ, Denzel, now Jojo.
Posted By: FATE Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/19/21 04:23 PM
Originally Posted By: jfanent

Sing along.....

JoJo left his home in Tucson Arizona,
To kick some Pittsburgh Steeler ass

With speed that burns the turf and laser beams from Baker,
The DBs all ran out of gas.

Get back, Get back, Get back before you're toast again!
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/19/21 04:48 PM
Did they sign Jojo Ward, a speedy (.5 faster than cee dee lambs listed 40 time) wr, with a deep average 17.5, because Anthony Schwartz can't practice?

Did the Browns ownership want to show off it's new speed stretch the field passing game in the joint practices vs. the Giants, and Anthony Schwartz was not to be found able to practice?
23 days before the Chiefs game opener? .

Did they have to go and sign an Anthony Schwartz clone because they wanted to see the two of them on the field at the same time, or, because one of them doesn't get on the field?

Were the Browns forced to cut Damion Square because Anthony Schwartz couldn't get on the field, get open, and make catches?
Because they'd need a roster spot for Jojo, and left one open for the (hopeful concept of Schwartz ever being productive with speed)?
Posted By: FATE Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/19/21 04:51 PM
Maybe just pretend Anthony Schwartz doesn't exist for a few days, bro. You're driving yourself bonkers!
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/19/21 06:02 PM
I would put JOK on the field and let him do whatever he wants, the kid is a freak.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/19/21 06:27 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/19/21 06:47 PM
Posted By: FATE Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/19/21 07:04 PM
"THEY'RE NOT GONNA BE REAAAADY!"
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/19/21 07:22 PM
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/19/21 07:24 PM
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/19/21 09:45 PM
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/19/21 09:58 PM
I really hope Njoku sticks. He's easily the most athletic TE we have and still has tremendous upside.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/19/21 10:33 PM
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
I really hope Njoku sticks. He's easily the most athletic TE we have and still has tremendous upside.

Hope he sticks? As in make the team this year, or long term?

I seriously doubt we cut him...like no chance. I guess we might trade him if somebody made a great offer, but again, I doubt anybody would offer enough and that isn't a reflection on Njoku.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/19/21 10:40 PM
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/19/21 11:09 PM
They signed Ward because they put Switzer on IR.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/20/21 12:05 AM
Originally Posted By: leadtheway

Hope he sticks? As in make the team this year, or long term?

I seriously doubt we cut him...like no chance. I guess we might trade him if somebody made a great offer, but again, I doubt anybody would offer enough and that isn't a reflection on Njoku.

I mean long term.. with the wanting to be traded, then wanting to be here, changing agents etc. I think he might be able to look past the hooper signing and see that he has a place. Hes still really young.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/20/21 12:21 AM
"Myles broke one of the ski machines by pulling too hard"

OMG, lol!
That's just ridiculous
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/20/21 12:24 AM
Browns fans pick at inperfections in the Browns TE room over the last 2 years,
Meanwhile I don't think the Bills have a single TE as good as probably, Carlson #4 out with injury.
Posted By: FATE Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/20/21 12:57 AM
I'd like to see the video lol.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/20/21 01:21 AM
"Myles broke one of the ski machines by pulling too hard"

OMG, lol!
That's just ridiculous

Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/20/21 01:29 AM
he seemed to enjoy it too...hahaha
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Training Camp 2021 - 08/20/21 04:49 AM
Grateful, you’re awesome at posting stuff. By the way, I have gotten to like Trotter’s takes, so thanks to pdawg and whomever else might be posting those!
© DawgTalkers.net