Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Legend
Legend
Happy Birthday Brown!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend

Clowney mentioned when he first was with Houston that the secondary was really good.

He also said everytime he has gotten healthy he got reinjured. Now having training camp and being healthy he can be prepared. Having Myles on the other side. He knows will be good for him.

The secondary feeds the pass rush. Teams last year came back on us because the secondary overall did not have competent players. Enter JJ3, Hill, Newsome, Delpit, Greedy. Harrison played but came late and then missed time.

We will play a 4-2-5 base defense with sub packages off that. We are adding speed at linebacker. Berry and Wood want players who can play in space.

When you have Myles, Clowney, Takk rushing and good coverage. That adds up to coverage sacks and turnovers.

Turnovers and three and outs give the offense more chances.

There will be no more comebacks on us.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone
Think about what Chubb has said repeatedly he put his money where his mouth is, didn't he?

Think about Johnson saying he took less to come here, even Clowney took less is my guess?

Watch Clowney's interview from a few days ago and listen closely. he is a guy who has bounced from team to team over the past what 4 seasons and came here I believe to improve his earning power and you can hear it in his speech and I see a guy that is slowly buying in and my bet is before the season is over he will beg the Browns to re-sign him. This is home to these players, they love their jobs they love the guys their working with, they love their coaches and they are having the time of their lives and they are super talented on top of all of that.

I kind of have an idea of what we will see from our offense, but man wait until this defense gets on the field this group is coming together quickly and they are at least as talented as the offense. I can let my imagination go a bit I think we will be very aggressive on defense and come after QB's from so many direction they simply won't have a clue what is coming, will have them seeing ghosts is my bet. I think a healthy Myles will eclipse 20 this year and Clowney will be close behind.

This team is family and you don't mess with family. They are truly special and if I am right this team will be talked about long after we are all gone. Like Murders row of baseball is still talked about so will this football team. I think Ski has reinvented coaching I really do.

look at DPJ this pre season think Ski didn't talk to him about what he needed to do to be the best possible version of himself. Like Bake with footwork the coaches have laid out a list of things that he needed to do he bought in went and did the work and he is lighting it up. WHY? Coaching.

I don't know if I'd go as far as you have with a bunch of that, but this one is VERY different from what we've seen in Berea since the early 90's, at the least. I have little doubt that other franchises have seen a bit of this here and there over the years, but it's just so foreign to a Browns fan it seems like it must have never happened before. The reality is that this is probably just normal top-of-the-league "good". Teams are going to score on this defense. We are going to lose games. Baker is going to throw INTs. Chubb may still fumble one. OBJ & Landry will drop some. We're still going to win a lot.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
It seemed like each year a portion of the fanbase absolutely fell in love with a UDFA (more often than not a WR) that looked the part but never panned out.

that was mostly because the UDFA looked almost as good as the starters. Now, I'm pretty sure we don't have a UFDA that looks almost as good as OBJ Landry DPJ or Higgens. they probably look like 1/2 as good. Same was always true with our RB's until we got Chubb and Hunt

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
Expect Year 2 Breakout From Donovan Peoples-Jones Who Is 'Lighting Up' Camp

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2946...ighting-up-camp

Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donovan Peoples-Jones is a star-in-the-making. He just needed a little more time than other recent draft picks to show what he's capable of after a disappointing collegiate career. His performance during training camp has been eye-opening for an already loaded roster that features Jarvis Landry and Odell Beckham Jr.

According to The Athletic's Zac Jackson, Peoples-Jones is "lighting up" training camp.

Talent always makes itself known if it's properly nurtured. Cleveland took a chance on Peoples-Jones with the 187th overall pick of the 2020 NFL draft. In the deepest wide receiver class ever, 25 heard their names called before the Browns finally pulled the trigger.

Peoples-Jones was a 5-star flop at Michigan. He never managed more than 47 receptions or 612 yards during any of his collegiate campaigns. His ability was obvious, but Michigan struggled to utilize him properly.

At the time, Peoples-Jones was a potential throwaway pick in a loaded wide receiver class. Cleveland's front office knew it invested in a lottery ticket, but his upside was well worth the risk.

"He was an exceptionally athletic, very talented individual," Browns area scout Colton Chapple told reporters shortly after Peoples-Jones' selection. "... This is a guy we really like in terms of his overall size, speed and athleticism to bring to our unit and contribute in whatever manner our coaches deem fit."

Chapple added: "What we saw on tape when he did have his opportunities, he made the most of them. He became a very dynamic player once the offense was able to get him the ball quickly."

Fast forward six months.

Beckham went down with a season-ending knee injury in a Week 7 contest against the Cincinnati Bengals. The Browns and their division rival went back and forth during the second half before quarterback Baker Mayfield found Peoples-Jones on a back-shoulder throw for a game-winning 24-yard touchdown pass with 11 seconds left. At that moment, the Browns saw the potential of what their wide receiver corps could eventually become.

Peoples-Jones finished tied for fifth on the team with 304 receiving yards. The sophomore receiver could easily emerge as the Browns' third option behind Landry and Beckham. The flashes were promising. Peoples-Jones finished fourth in the rookie class with an average of 1.83 yards per route run, per Pro Football Focus. At one point during the Browns' stretch run (Weeks 13-15), the first-year pass-catcher posted the second-most yardage on throws 20-plus yards downfield.

"Most rookies, there is a learning curve," head coach Kevin Stefanski told reporters. "[Jedrick Wills Jr.] obviously, was in there from play No. 1 and started the whole season, but I would say that is pretty rare across the league. Once you get out of that first-round top-15 guys, you typically have guys who you are working into the lineup and their roles grow throughout the season.

"I think Donovan is a great example of that. Again, a really smart player, a conscientious kid who we could put in there and trust him to do the job. He certainly earned our trust over the course of time."

The next step is earning the trust of his quarterback, and he's certainly seemed to do so during his second training camp.

Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer reported that Peoples-Jones has slimmed down and spent all offseason working with Mayfield. As a result, his physical gifts are consistently translating to the field.

Before understanding what the wide receiver brings to the table from an on-field perspective, his natural ability must be addressed. Peoples-Jones is a 6'2", 212-pound target with 33½" arms. His 44½" vertical is the second-best NFL combine effort since the league began revealing results in 2006. He finished first among his wide receiver classmates with an 11'7" broad jump, too. He ran a 4.48-second 40-yard dash. Overall, the prospect posted a SPARQ (speed, power, athleticism, reaction and quickness) score in the 99th percentile of NFL wide receivers, per NBC Sports' Thor Nystrom.

Peoples-Jones is the caliber of athlete every team wants at wide receiver. Great athleticism doesn't always translate to the field, though. In his case, he's showed a level of consistency that can't be overlooked.

"He has done an outstanding job of putting himself in position to have the opportunity to contribute here because of his work ethic," wide receivers coach Chad O'Shea said Wednesday. "I would say thus far in camp, like some other guys in the receiving group, he has made the most of his opportunities."

Peoples-Jones displayed the ability to stack cornerbacks and get vertical in limited opportunities last season, and he's looked even better during recent practices. His body control and concentration on passes have been exceptional. He's regularly made highlight-worthy receptions during training camp sessions.

The Browns already have two star wide receivers and multiple tight ends they want to get on the field. But opportunities are sure to arise in multi-receiver sets.

Besides, Beckham has missed at least four games in three of the last four seasons. Landry played through a hip issue in 2020 as well. Injuries happen. Depth is necessary. Peoples-Jones can play all three receiver spots and contribute on special teams.

"Last year, I was so impressed with his ability to function mentally across a lot of different positions," O'Shea said. "Certainly, I think that adds value to a player when you can line up at different spots and be a multiple-role player, that is going to increase your opportunities."

Cleveland found some success late in the 2020 campaign by going five-wide, albeit with tight ends or even running backs flexed. Stefanski can continue to tweak his scheme and take advantage of the talent available to him.

The Browns' offensive play-caller knows what he has in OBJ and Landry. Rashard Higgins has developed a rapport with Mayfield that's only gotten stronger each season. General manager Andrew Berry drafted speedster Anthony Schwartz in this year's third round. Clearly, opportunities could be limited as Cleveland searches for the right balance to reach optimal efficiency.

However, Peoples-Jones' continued excellence in practice will force Stefanski and Co. to implement packages where he's on the field with a chance to shine.

A year from now, the Browns could move on from Beckham and Landry because of their combined $31.6 million salary-cap hit (but only $1.5 million guaranteed). Peoples-Jones should see incremental growth and usage over the new few months and into next season, when he could emerge as Cleveland's WR1.

Not every incoming wide receiver can be like Beckham or the Minnesota Vikings' Justin Jefferson, who set a rookie receiving record last season. Peoples-Jones is only 22 years old after declaring early for the draft. He clearly needed time and the right situation to fulfill his immense potential. He still has a lot to prove, but he's coming on strong.

Considering his performance throughout training camp, Peoples-Jones should kick open the door, receive more playing time this fall and give the Browns yet another exciting option for an already impressive offense.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer reported that Peoples-Jones has slimmed down and spent all offseason working with Mayfield.

Curious as to how that works. Is it just an exaggeration... "all offseason"? Is it an open invitation to all receivers with Mayfield? Or is it just DPJ knocking on Baker's door like "yo, I need to get a bunch of work in this offseason" and Baker taking him under his wing?

No matter how you slice it, this bodes well on both players' fronts.

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Is there One Defender Peoples-Jones is consistently beating or is he outshining against a full group?

Is there one type of play scheme matching up Peoples-Jones in favorable circumstances consistently allowing him to shine vs the defense or is he doing it from all aspects of any situation he's put in?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: dawglover05
Brandon Rideau
Carlton Mitchell

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: FATE
Quote:
Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer reported that Peoples-Jones has slimmed down and spent all offseason working with Mayfield.

Curious as to how that works. Is it just an exaggeration... "all offseason"? Is it an open invitation to all receivers with Mayfield? Or is it just DPJ knocking on Baker's door like "yo, I need to get a bunch of work in this offseason" and Baker taking him under his wing?

No matter how you slice it, this bodes well on both players' fronts.

It came out recently that Hooper has been spending extra time with Mayfield this season as well. I didn't hear about it over the offseason, but it was mentioned in a mini-camp summary.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
T
Legend
Legend
T
Ravens cornerback Jimmy Smith carted off with a right leg injury in Fridays' training camp practice.
Jimmy Smith 33 has played his whole career for Baltimore.

Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I agree with some of the commenters on that tweet.... the thing with Takk has just gotten kinda weird. An undisclosed illness and now an excused absence... during Training Camp? He has yet to take a rep; this does not look good, but the team has been doing its damnedest to keep whatever it is low-key.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
I agree with some of the commenters on that tweet.... the thing with Takk has just gotten kinda weird. An undisclosed illness and now an excused absence... during Training Camp? He has yet to take a rep; this does not look good, but the team has been doing its damnedest to keep whatever it is low-key.

It's best to not think about Takk or count on that guy for anything. If he shows up, great, if not, that is what I expect.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
L
Legend
Legend
L
I have a feeling he doesn't play a down for us. doesn't make alot of sense

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend

What is up with this?

He was in good shape and all ready to go. There was no
indication of any problems.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I know you know this, but players are people with real lives and real life problems. My guess here is that real life has given him something he needs to deal with.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
B
Legend
Legend
B
true, and some people have more of them.

The guy is an egghead.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
We have no idea what's going on. For all we know, someone in his family could be critically ill, or trouble along those lines. Let's not condemn him without any of the real info.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend

I agree.

I will give him the benefit of doubt until I hear otherwise.

Early on I saw his presser. He was impressive. Seemed highly motivated and thankful for the opportunity.

KS is not hanging the guy out to dry. He has an excused absence.

Legend
Legend
j/c...

This was from early 2019.

Hopefully he's alright.

https://thefalconswire.usatoday.com/2019...l-health-check/

O
Legend
Legend
O
Would like to see him playing for us, but we also have a log jam on the DLine right now too. We have solid depth players that will be cut, so if a projected starter doesn't work out we'll have to next man up the position.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: FATE
Happy Birthday Brown!

Shoot I never noticed this damned nice of you fate thanks..

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

BEREA — Takk McKinley remains away from the Browns, and coach Kevin Stefanski said he doesn't have an expectation for when the defensive end will return.

"I really don't," Stefanski said Saturday before the ninth full-squad practice of training camp.

Asked if McKinley is expected to return and be ready for the start of the season Sept. 12 against the Kansas City Chiefs, Stefanski said, "I just don't have a time frame yet. I can't really get too far into it. I'm hopeful, but don't have a time frame."

McKinley left practices early July 30 and July 31 and hasn't been back on the field since then. He was seen vomiting before his departure July 30.

The Browns had been citing an illness as the reason for McKinley's absence until Stefanski provided the following update Friday: "Takk is excused for personal reasons, but [we] expect him back."

However, the timing of a return is nebulous.

In March, the Browns signed McKinley as an unrestricted free agent. His one-year contract has a value of $4.25 million and can reach $6 million with incentives.

The Browns are counting on McKinley to become a key player in their defensive end rotation along with starters Myles Garrett and Jadeveon Clowney.

Takk McKinley shares his story: Browns' Takk McKinley says he lost himself in Atlanta, but means 'nothing but business' now

Browns center Nick Harris, right, fends off defensive tackle Andrew Billings on Monday, August 2, 2021 in Berea, Ohio, at CrossCountry Mortgage Campus. [Phil Masturzo/ Beacon Journal]
Browns center Nick Harris, right, fends off defensive tackle Andrew Billings on Monday, August 2, 2021 in Berea, Ohio, at CrossCountry Mortgage Campus. [Phil Masturzo/ Beacon Journal]
PHIL MASTURZO, AKRON BEACON JOURNAL
Andrew Billings eager for Cleveland Browns to return to the playoffs
Andrew Billings is happy about his decision to opt out of the 2020 season because of COVID-19 concerns tied to his severe asthma, yet the defensive tackle is disappointed he missed a chance to appear in a playoff game for the first time in his NFL career.

“I felt like I missed out on a career opportunity,” Billings said, “but we’re ready to get back to the playoffs again.”

Billings and Malik Jackson have been the first-team defensive tackles all offseason, but Billings said he's convinced he must still earn the job. He lost 20 pounds in a span of about five weeks and credits the running he did in the Atlanta heat during the buildup to training camp.

The Browns are counting on Billings, a former Cincinnati Bengals starter, to provide a run-stuffing presence. Defensive line coach Chris Kiffin recently called Billings “the strongest guy I've ever seen.” Billings won a high school state powerlifting title in Texas.

“These are the numbers from high school: I dead lifted 705 [pounds], squatted 805 and benched 500,” Billings said.

Cleveland Browns cornerback Greg Newsome II participates in drills during NFL football training camp, Friday, July 30, 2021, in Berea, Ohio.
Cleveland Browns cornerback Greg Newsome II participates in drills during NFL football training camp, Friday, July 30, 2021, in Berea, Ohio.
JEFF LANGE, AKRON BEACON JOURNAL
Cleveland Browns rookie Greg Newsome II is getting rave reviews
Cornerback Troy Hill played for the NFL's top-ranked defense last season as a member of the Los Angeles Rams. In other words, Hill knows a talented defender when he sees one.

And rookie first-round draft pick Greg Newsome II has caught Hill's attention.

“He's going to be a great player,” Hill said. “He's going to be a star in the making. He's really humble. He definitely wants to be great. I see the work ethic in him, too. I'm excited to be a part of his journey and at the start of his journey.

“I see the way he was going about trying to get his technique down and everything [since Day One]. I definitely see the greatness in him.”

Greg Newsome II has a top athlete in his corner: How Browns rookie Greg Newsome II, Northwestern basketball star Veronica Burton lift each other

Odell Beckham Jr.'s plan for joining Cleveland Browns team drills
Wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. has yet to participate in 11-on-11 drills during training camp, an unsurprising development because he is on the comeback trail from the torn anterior cruciate ligament he suffered in his left knee Oct. 25 against the Cincinnati Bengals.

Stefanski said Beckham would join team drills at an appropriate time.

"We're just taking in all the advice of the medical team and Odell himself," Stefanski said, "and just making sure we do this the right way."

Beckham didn't practice Saturday but he did on a limited basis Friday, when he ran routes and caught passes from quarterback Baker Mayfield between periods.

"It's about precision, and it's about being accurate when you're throwing the ball, getting the right depth, running the right route and the quarterback getting the right feel for how a receiver runs a route because all the guys are different," Stefanski said. "There's great value in the work those guys are getting. It's scripted. The coaches know exactly what throws they want to get and in what order. Those two, that battery has gotten a ton of great reps over there."

Cleveland Browns training camp schedule
The Orange & Brown Practice is scheduled to begin at noon Sunday at FirstEnergy Stadium.

"We'll have a nice two-hour long practice where guys are competing against each other," Stefanski said. "We'll do some red-zone work. We'll do some two-minute work. We'll see some situational ball.”

In preparation for the practice at the stadium, the Browns dialed down the tempo Saturday and conducted what was basically a jog through.

According to the Browns, the following players didn't practice due to injury: linebackers Anthony Walker Jr. (knee), Montrel Meander (hamstring) and Tony Fields II (foot), safeties Ronnie Harrison Jr. (hamstring) and Sheldrick Redwine (ankle) and receivers Alexander Hollins (hamstring) and Anthony Schwartz (hamstring).

Players who had scheduled rest include cornerback Denzel Ward, right tackle Jack Conkin and defensive tackle Malik Jackson. Receiver Jarvis Landry returned after resting Friday.

— Nate Ulrich

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
We got to work with TAKK but can't rely on him, others will have to just step it up - JOK who has missed days also?

I like what I'm hearing about Felton - a lot fast than his 40 time in shorts runs great routes out of the Backfield and picking up blitzes a true 3rd down back considering he played WR in UCLA.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
T
Legend
Legend
T
Is there news on if Richard Lecounte is healthy and practicing or out with injuries?

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Freakin amazing. 30,000 at a practice.. Geez

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

That would be great news, because he has talent, and he has the physical ability to be a plus level LB. He just has to put it all together.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Training Camp 2021

Link Copied to Clipboard