DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: DeisleDawg Free Agency 100 list - 01/15/22 12:01 AM
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-free-agent-rankings-free-agency

Long read so I won't copy and paste the full read. With position needs , was just looking at what would be a good way to fill some positions, through FA or the draft.

I was surprised at who is available and the cost that comes along with the player.

Would a vet help get the team faster to a chance at the play-off run to higher places or can a draft pick just as well at a cheaper price.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/15/22 12:10 AM
As to your sig: It seems the ONLY people than know everything and could do better are too busy sitting in the stands eating hot dogs and popcorn. They won't get on the field/court. Griping, yelling from the stands is easier.
Posted By: Jester Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/15/22 01:12 AM
Good list. Wish they would have included the player's height and weight.

The salary projections are nice. I don't have a good gauge for the contract value a free agent would generate.

Two Browns on the list.

#13 Clowney
Contract Projection: One year, $15 million, $12 million total guaranteed
At the price tag I re-sign him

#43 Njoku
Contract Projection: Three years, $37.5 million ($12.5M per year, $25.5M total guaranteed)
At that price point I let him walk.
I think we can get a TE as good or better in rounds 2-4 (maybe even round 5) in this draft.
There are close to 10 TE in this draft that could be pretty good and give us similar if not better production at a fraction of the cost.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/15/22 01:50 AM
I agree .. Love to see Clowney back, but The price for DNJ.. yikes. Height and weight for the FA's wasn't that much of a concern for me since their performances over the years is what mattered.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/15/22 02:06 AM
Well, I'm sure everything will be analyzed. And that will cause some to be upset.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/15/22 05:05 PM
I really hope Hooper’s terrible contract doesn’t affect our ability to re-sign both Njoku and Clowney
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/15/22 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
I really hope Hooper’s terrible contract doesn’t affect our ability to re-sign both Njoku and Clowney

We have plenty of cap space and the cap will be going up.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/15/22 05:26 PM
Just looking at the list, I like 3 receivers. Gallop, Christian Kirk, and JuJu. I'd be happy with any one of those guys, though both of Kirk and JuJu play mostly the slot.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/15/22 05:54 PM
Many of these players will be picked up by their current teams before the FA signing period ever begins. By the time teams are able to sign FA's on the open market, this list won't look nearly as impressive. It happens every year.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/15/22 06:50 PM
Allen Robinson, please.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/15/22 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by Milk Man
Allen Robinson, please.

If we sign a wide receiver we have to make sure he’s not too famous so that Baker doesn’t feel like he has to force him the ball.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/15/22 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by cfrs15
Allen Robinson, please.

If we sign a wide receiver we have to make sure he’s not too famous so that Baker doesn’t feel like he has to force him the ball.

Nah...just need that WR to run the right route and catch the balls that hit him in the hands.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/15/22 07:50 PM
That must be it. The Chargers, Steelers, Raiders, Rams and Bucs are all teams with more drops by their WR's than we have. All of those teams made the playoffs. I think you have figured out the secret.

https://scores.nbcsports.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232

It's an odd thing some of these baseless accusations. First the accusation was that only OBJ was running the wrong routes and we would be better without him. Once he was gone and it proved we weren't "better without him", suddenly it's the other WR's too who are running the wrong routes. The ever evolving excuse making machine rolls on.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/15/22 08:31 PM
You really should watch the games and stop drowning in stats...although they really are for certain people.

Which WR on our team would sniff the field for the teams you listed above?

Newsflash: OBJ did not want to be here...and he played like it.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/15/22 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
First the accusation was that only OBJ was running the wrong routes and we would be better without him. Once he was gone and it proved we weren't "better without him", suddenly it's the other WR's too who are running the wrong routes. The ever evolving excuse making machine rolls on.

Are you confusing THIS message board with another? Or one of your dreams? Who has ever stated on this board about non-OBJ receivers not running the correct routes?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/15/22 08:56 PM
PFF made it clear we had more open WR's on passing plays than any other team in the NFL. You can deny stats all you like. Nobody was saying they were running the wrong routes before OBJ left.

Thus, "We are better without him". They kept saying that and claiming the WR's played better when he was not on the field. It seems I'm not the one with the memory problem here. The same WR's with the only exception being Hodge left and Schwartz was drafted were ranked 11th in the NFL last year.

Let's recap shall we? The claim is Baker was a top 10 QB in 2020 and great in his first two games. He accomplished that while having the 11th ranked WR group. Now somehow Baker has no accountability while those same WR's that were ranked 11th last season and played in those "great games" the first two weeks get trashed. And no matter how you slice it, you avoid it like the plague that there are five teams in the playoffs who had more drops by their WR's than we had.

There are many fingers to point in why we did poorly this year. Picking and choosing who people blame seems to be a common theme.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/15/22 09:09 PM
The two key guys that are really important next year are Conklin and Clowney.

Conklin we signed as a free agent to fill a big whole. His return to 100% is a real question mark. Replacing him will not be easy if he does not recover. A patellar tendon tear can end a career. Recovery can be 6 months to a year. Lots of factors come into play for full recovery.

Pass rushers are critical positions. Clowney was a disruptive force. He is hard to handle. A long tough day for any tackle.

His return is for sure no guarantee. He will chase the money and where he wants to live.

Those two guys are not replaceable parts that come out of the draft and play at that level.

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/15/22 11:01 PM
We were second in three or more open receivers.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/16/22 01:45 AM
Allen Robinson, please.

I'm wondering if we should invest in a top-tier WR. I would think bringing one in as a FA would be difficult, giving the current state of the offense. Would one want to come here and see his numbers go down? Look at the WR production. Even when they are open, which turned out to be quite a bit. If we bring in a WR in FA, it's going to have to be a lower-middle tier guy who will be told he'd be a primary target. A chance to be a #1 receiver that he would not have anywhere else. My guess for next year is that we have more of a WR-by-committee thing, where we have a bunch of JAGs.

We could likely get one here if we grossly overpay. But we already have Hooper only earning a fraction of his paycheck, and I would not want to do that again. With what he has done with the opportunities he has had over the last 2 seasons, he should be in Marion doing 5-10 for larceny.

Of course, if we draft a WR then he has little choice than to come here. If so, be good to figure out how to use him.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/16/22 01:50 AM
If you pay them they will come.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/16/22 02:07 AM
Yep. People like money.

Sign Kirk to play the slot after releasing Landry and saving $15.5M in cap space.

A WR group of Robinson, Wilson/Olave and Kirk with DPJ continuing to develop would be a nice overhaul of the unit.

It would also allow Berry more flexibility in the draft.

Calais Campbell on a one year deal with the money saved by releasing Keenum.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/16/22 04:23 AM
We have 39 mill. What is the point in releasing landry?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/16/22 04:33 AM
Originally Posted by superbowldogg

Because we can spend his money elsewhere and roll over whatever extra we have. There are things we should be worried about, one of them should not be worrying about the cap with this front office.
Posted By: bugs Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/16/22 04:34 AM
BJ Hill, DT
Christian Kirk, WR
Will Fuller, WR
Maxx Williams, TE
Jadeveon Clowney, Edge
David Njoku, TE

I would keep Landry giving Baker some familiarity. I also make it a goal to build around Schwartz and People-Jones. Draft another speed receiver. The key here is speed. I think Kirk and Fuller are needed for a little veteran presence.

Add Hill at DT to put a little beef in the middle to slow down the opposition's run game. I definitely would draft another run-stopping NT.

Maxx Williams is the missing puzzle at TE having a blocker.
Posted By: bugs Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/16/22 04:49 AM

Because we can spend his money elsewhere and roll over whatever extra we have. There are things we should be worried about, one of them should not be worrying about the cap with this front office.

You make a good point here, but the receiver group needs a much-needed overhaul. If not Landry, you will need a leader in that room.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/16/22 05:11 AM
Since he has been the GM Andrew Berry has had a pretty clear plan in the off-season. After the 2019 season our offensive line was in shambles. He signed Jack Conklin and drafted Jedrick Wills. After the 2020 our secondary was decimated. We signed John Johnson and Troy Hill and drafted Greg Newsome. Both of those weaknesses became strengths because of the attention given to them. I would guess the receiver position receives that same sort of attention and Berry has shown he knows how to fix weaknesses.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/16/22 05:18 AM
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/16/22 05:28 AM

See!
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/16/22 04:20 PM
I hope MR. Berry focuses on the WR position. It is a weakness for us at this point. Just about every playoff team has very good talent at the WR position. The 2 that don't got eliminated yesterday. Food for thought. WE need help at LB and D line too.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/16/22 04:23 PM
Landrys production.doesnt justify his price tag. He is a possession WR with slow wheels.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/16/22 04:54 PM
If you pay them they will come.

Yes, which gets to my point about overpaying someone to come here. Which gets to your point of maybe our QB forcing the ball to a top-tier WR if we get one here. Or maybe be like Hooper and once he signs a big contract he becomes below average. Maybe we can use the money elsewhere.

Milk had mentioned overhauling the WR room by adding Robinson, Kirk and Wilson/Olave. That looks really good on paper, but with us running a lot of 3 TE sets, does it make sense? Stefanski did not start running 3 TE sets because our WRs suck, it is something he has been doing.

Look, I am not against improving the WRs. I just hope our passing game can make use of it. There is a woman here in my neighborhood who I have never seen drive even 20 mph. She has a Honda Civic which is fine for what she does. It does not make sense to go get her an Audi R8 just because it is a better car.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/16/22 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by Jester
Good list. Wish they would have included the player's height and weight.

The salary projections are nice. I don't have a good gauge for the contract value a free agent would generate.

Two Browns on the list.

#13 Clowney
Contract Projection: One year, $15 million, $12 million total guaranteed
At the price tag I re-sign him

#43 Njoku
Contract Projection: Three years, $37.5 million ($12.5M per year, $25.5M total guaranteed)
At that price point I let him walk.
I think we can get a TE as good or better in rounds 2-4 (maybe even round 5) in this draft.
There are close to 10 TE in this draft that could be pretty good and give us similar if not better production at a fraction of the cost.

For Njoku, $12.5m for a TE is top 5 money and $2m/year more than Hooper makes (he was highest TE at the time of the deal). No way does Njoku get anything near that. I think he compares best to the Bengals Uzomah - so maybe 6.5m-7m /year. Just my opinion though.

Clowney gets that. I think we resign him to a multi-year deal - maybe a 3 year deal that is essentially a 2 year deal. Something like 3 years 45M with $20m signing bonus, 7.5m roster bonuses and low salaries the first and 2nd year. That'd be $11m cap year 1 and $14m cap year 2. Dead cap would be $6.67 year 3 or if we kept him the cap would be $20m. Essentially a 2 year deal worth 28m. He had a good year here and I think the prospects of being opposite Myles will keep him here.
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/16/22 09:46 PM
Just some food for thought. When you build your offense to run and you don't have quality receivers, highest PFF receiver was Landry @ 74th, then you're a certain loser when you can't run the ball. Case in point, PHI was the number one running offense in 2021 and are getting their azzes cleaned by Tampa because they can't run the ball. NEP who has lived by the run supporting their rookie QB was humiliated yesterday by BUF who shut down the run and forced Jones to throw to a weak WR receiving group. Though the Pats group might be considered better than the Browns, the elimination of the run doomed them from the start.

First, say what you want, when there are 73 WR's rated by PFF higher than your best WR - YOU HAVE A MAJOR PROBLEM. The PFF rating grades the WR on every play whether they are getting the ball or not. Second, if your offense is set up around the run and a 2-3 TE set, what WR in his right mind is going to want to come to Cleveland for basically a single position and 150-200 less passing attempts than the top 10 teams (9 of which went to the playoffs this year. As a side note, 9 of the 14 playoff teams were in the top 10 in passing and after 3 games to this point, 2 of the 3 eliminated were not in the top 9 with SFO and PIT also having a strong likely hood of joining that group.

Bottomline is if you can't move the ball through the air at will then you are at a huge disadvantage. People on here are talking about revamping the WR's, what the hell for if you're going to run a 1 WR set more than 50% of the time? Someone earlier suggested Kirk and Fuller in FA to go with Landry. My question is what the hell are the other 2 guys going to be doing when the Browns are running 2-3 TE sets over 50% of the time. If you're going to go out and get WR's either through the draft or FA you have to change the scheme if you want to have any chance of a FA's coming here. At this point, I don't see Stefanski changing or Berry making him change but I will predict this - if there is not a dramatic improvement over 2021, Stefanski and Berry will both be gone long before Mayfield moves on to another team or gets a new deal. If you're going to run an outside the norm offense you had better win - another losing season or missed playoffs will fall squarely on Stefanski and Berry's shoulders long before it hits Mayfield.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/16/22 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by steve0255
The PFF rating grades the WR on every play whether they are getting the ball or not.

How PFF grades receivers:

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-how-pff-grades-receiving

The PFF grading system isolates the targeted receiver’s role on every pass attempt.
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/16/22 10:02 PM
My bad, actually "The PFF grading system isolates the targeted receiver’s role on every pass attempt. Credit is given for plays in which the receiver adds value to the offense, especially when it’s above and beyond what was called for schematically."

The PFF grading system credits receivers for creating big plays and elevating the play of the offense, while it downgrades for poor ball skills and poor route running. Receivers who consistently beat man and zone coverage, win contested catches or create yards after the catch will grade well in the PFF system. Receivers who fail to separate, fail to catch the ball consistently or fail to create after the catch will grade poorly.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/16/22 11:31 PM
Gallup is someone I’d still be interested in signing, even though he had the ACL injury a few weeks ago
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/17/22 01:10 AM
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/17/22 04:36 AM
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
The ever evolving excuse making machine rolls on.
thumbsup
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/17/22 01:03 PM
I mentioned in another thread.

Baker has the same number of play off wins as Dak. For all those claiming that Baker just needs to win, and everything else is an excuse ... I guess Dak is a bum too and should be out of the NFL. Add to that , without question Dak has played on better teams than Baker.
Posted By: eotab Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/17/22 02:54 PM

I'm just curious stat boy, who had the most drops in the NFL???
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/17/22 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by eotab

I’m just curious rage boy, why would I help you do anything when you are that condescending???
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/17/22 03:38 PM

WR is already a need. I'll never understand the strategy of making an area of focus even more of a challenge.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/17/22 04:52 PM
We were 12th in dropped passes.

https://scores.nbcsports.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/17/22 06:12 PM
... despite being near bottom of the league in passes attempted/game.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/pass-attempts-per-game
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/17/22 07:15 PM
Sounds like on an overreaction that dak could be traded or released lol
Posted By: jfanent Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/17/22 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by oobernoober

Well, I did the math and it adds up to 1 drop per 23.6 attempts (4.2%), and 1.3 drops per game.
That's using whatever NBC uses as a definition of a drop. I'd be willing to be that using what my eyes tells me is a drop
(which means absolutely nothing to anyone), the drop percentage would be higher.
Posted By: Hammer Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/18/22 12:08 AM
My eyeball test also told me that there were way more than 22 drops this year as well.

Hell - I think Hooper and OBJ dropped that many together.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/18/22 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by jfanent

Well, I did the math and it adds up to 1 drop per 23.6 attempts (4.2%), and 1.3 drops per game.
That's using whatever NBC uses as a definition of a drop. I'd be willing to be that using what my eyes tells me is a drop
(which means absolutely nothing to anyone), the drop percentage would be higher.

I think you are correct. What the statisticians say is subjective, as are most stats.

To this day, 35 years after the fact, I still consider a pass I got in H.S. Crossing in the endzone. Ball was high - as in, crossbar high. That's 10 feet. I got 2 hands on it, but didn't bring it down. To me, that's a drop. (film verifies this, by the way) So, I don't know their - NBC's - criteria, but I know mine.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/18/22 04:36 PM
What a drop is, is subjective. What's not subjective is that whatever criteria they use to define a drop is the same for all 32 NFL teams.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/18/22 07:03 PM
I don't watch a ton of non-Browns football, so I do wonder if the Browns ranking for drops can move around. One aspect of "Bad-Baker" is his inability to deliver a ball in stride. You know he's off when his receivers are reaching down to their feet or way behind them to secure passes. I could see how subtle differences to defining a drop could skew our numbers and shift our ranking.

(Just thinking out loud)
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/18/22 08:10 PM
Not saying it is but some throws are behind or low on purpose making the receiver the only one that can catch it. If the opinion is that Baker should have every pass hit the player in stride at the numbers then there's not a QB in the NFL that would qualify as the Browns QB. Passing is not single sided, the WR has the responsibility to make the tough catch for the QB when it's a little off target. Ask yourself, how make tough catches or in heavy traffic have the Browns WR's made the last 2-years? In the WR defense, when you're only seeing 3-5 targets a game it's almost impossible to develop any chemistry with your QB - just the facts!
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/18/22 08:37 PM
All teams were graded by the exact same criteria. If it worked that way for Baker it worked the same way for every NFL QB.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/19/22 12:20 AM
Someone mentioned cap above. Not sure if this was already considered part of our cap space or not, but we have $10.5m cap rollover.

The twitter social tag doesn't seem to be working for me, so here's the link:
https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1483121093942591491
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/19/22 01:56 PM
It's kinda crazy how we're still near the top despite being somewhat aggressive in FA (we're not spending like idiots, obviously; but we're also not being shy).
Posted By: eotab Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/19/22 03:48 PM

I’m just curious rage boy, why would I help you do anything when you are that condescending???

1. so glad to see you recognize yourself as stat boy.
2. Condescending - yeah I do that to posters who themselves are condescending and just cannot get what they dish out. was it not you I just read in a thread you telling a poster that they DON'T KNOW HOW FA WORKS...so its ok when you do it.

You do serve a purpose ie stat boy. You made a claim and as I said I was curious how we stood in the realm of dropped passes which could solidify your opinion or not. So do we assume you took the route of ATTACKING me as a poster that it would not benefit your opinion. I thought you were a man with guts and might post the correct stats. but calling me condescending just was not how I thought you wou;d go. but nice to know the answer would help my opinion and hurt yours. Thanks for answering me anyways...lol Look you have taken the condescending position of late I have crowned you with utmost regard as STAT BOY a benefit to the board and my thanks go out to you for your prowess.

Good night Irene...
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/19/22 04:08 PM
It's kinda crazy how we're still near the top despite being somewhat aggressive in FA (we're not spending like idiots, obviously; but we're also not being shy).

I think some of that is a by product of the FA we signed last year - some were 1 year deals. That is good and bad, as it creates space but means we have to fill a hole. e.g. Clowney - whether we sign him or replace him, it's a big hole to fill. Interestingly the top of the first mock draft I just looked at has a ton of edge rushers as top picks.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/19/22 04:17 PM
rofl

You're just unwilling to admit that we have the second most open WR's on pass plays and Baker simply can't find them. Your only excuse is "stat boy".

Frickin' hilarious! But you are not alone.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/19/22 08:48 PM

I agree with mgh888, with a caveat - some of those one year deals were set up such that the signing bonuses extended into future years. Clowney I believe was one of those - so if we don't re-sign (maybe technically a restructure) him, we may have dead cap in future years to account for. Cap room will be more difficult after this next season. Both Baker and Denzel have one year left - if we keep both, that could be a lot of money. I'd think Denzel would be in the 14-18m/year range and who knows on Baker (not the $40m+ elite guys are getting, but $25-30m that Garoppolo, Ryan, Tannehill, Stafford, Carr... are getting (lower than that are journeymen like Dalton and Fitzpatrick and rookie deals)) that's likely $40m+ between the two of them. Are we really good with the cap? We're about to find out.

edit: for giggles I looked up Market value for both Denzel and Baker on spotrac. I was a little low for Denzel and low for Baker. I can't imagine we pay him 32m/year unless next season he plays like the last half of 2020
Denzel 18.7/year average for a 5 year deal
Baker 31.9/year average for a 5 year deal
Posted By: eotab Re: Free Agency 100 list - 01/20/22 03:10 PM

Me posting with cfrs15...lol
© DawgTalkers.net