Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1919840 01/14/22 08:01 PM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-free-agent-rankings-free-agency

Long read so I won't copy and paste the full read. With position needs , was just looking at what would be a good way to fill some positions, through FA or the draft.

I was surprised at who is available and the cost that comes along with the player.

Would a vet help get the team faster to a chance at the play-off run to higher places or can a draft pick just as well at a cheaper price.

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
A
Legend
Legend
A
As to your sig: It seems the ONLY people than know everything and could do better are too busy sitting in the stands eating hot dogs and popcorn. They won't get on the field/court. Griping, yelling from the stands is easier.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Good list. Wish they would have included the player's height and weight.

The salary projections are nice. I don't have a good gauge for the contract value a free agent would generate.

Two Browns on the list.

#13 Clowney
Contract Projection: One year, $15 million, $12 million total guaranteed
At the price tag I re-sign him

#43 Njoku
Contract Projection: Three years, $37.5 million ($12.5M per year, $25.5M total guaranteed)
At that price point I let him walk.
I think we can get a TE as good or better in rounds 2-4 (maybe even round 5) in this draft.
There are close to 10 TE in this draft that could be pretty good and give us similar if not better production at a fraction of the cost.

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I agree .. Love to see Clowney back, but The price for DNJ.. yikes. Height and weight for the FA's wasn't that much of a concern for me since their performances over the years is what mattered.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Well, I'm sure everything will be analyzed. And that will cause some to be upset.

Legend
Legend
I really hope Hooper’s terrible contract doesn’t affect our ability to re-sign both Njoku and Clowney

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
I really hope Hooper’s terrible contract doesn’t affect our ability to re-sign both Njoku and Clowney

We have plenty of cap space and the cap will be going up.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Just looking at the list, I like 3 receivers. Gallop, Christian Kirk, and JuJu. I'd be happy with any one of those guys, though both of Kirk and JuJu play mostly the slot.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Many of these players will be picked up by their current teams before the FA signing period ever begins. By the time teams are able to sign FA's on the open market, this list won't look nearly as impressive. It happens every year.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Allen Robinson, please.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by Milk Man
Allen Robinson, please.

If we sign a wide receiver we have to make sure he’s not too famous so that Baker doesn’t feel like he has to force him the ball.

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by cfrs15
Allen Robinson, please.

If we sign a wide receiver we have to make sure he’s not too famous so that Baker doesn’t feel like he has to force him the ball.

Nah...just need that WR to run the right route and catch the balls that hit him in the hands.

1 member likes this: Hamfist
P
Legend
Legend
P
That must be it. The Chargers, Steelers, Raiders, Rams and Bucs are all teams with more drops by their WR's than we have. All of those teams made the playoffs. I think you have figured out the secret.

https://scores.nbcsports.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232

It's an odd thing some of these baseless accusations. First the accusation was that only OBJ was running the wrong routes and we would be better without him. Once he was gone and it proved we weren't "better without him", suddenly it's the other WR's too who are running the wrong routes. The ever evolving excuse making machine rolls on.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
You really should watch the games and stop drowning in stats...although they really are for certain people.

Which WR on our team would sniff the field for the teams you listed above?

Newsflash: OBJ did not want to be here...and he played like it.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
First the accusation was that only OBJ was running the wrong routes and we would be better without him. Once he was gone and it proved we weren't "better without him", suddenly it's the other WR's too who are running the wrong routes. The ever evolving excuse making machine rolls on.

Are you confusing THIS message board with another? Or one of your dreams? Who has ever stated on this board about non-OBJ receivers not running the correct routes?

P
Legend
Legend
P
PFF made it clear we had more open WR's on passing plays than any other team in the NFL. You can deny stats all you like. Nobody was saying they were running the wrong routes before OBJ left.

Thus, "We are better without him". They kept saying that and claiming the WR's played better when he was not on the field. It seems I'm not the one with the memory problem here. The same WR's with the only exception being Hodge left and Schwartz was drafted were ranked 11th in the NFL last year.

Let's recap shall we? The claim is Baker was a top 10 QB in 2020 and great in his first two games. He accomplished that while having the 11th ranked WR group. Now somehow Baker has no accountability while those same WR's that were ranked 11th last season and played in those "great games" the first two weeks get trashed. And no matter how you slice it, you avoid it like the plague that there are five teams in the playoffs who had more drops by their WR's than we had.

There are many fingers to point in why we did poorly this year. Picking and choosing who people blame seems to be a common theme.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
The two key guys that are really important next year are Conklin and Clowney.

Conklin we signed as a free agent to fill a big whole. His return to 100% is a real question mark. Replacing him will not be easy if he does not recover. A patellar tendon tear can end a career. Recovery can be 6 months to a year. Lots of factors come into play for full recovery.

Pass rushers are critical positions. Clowney was a disruptive force. He is hard to handle. A long tough day for any tackle.

His return is for sure no guarantee. He will chase the money and where he wants to live.

Those two guys are not replaceable parts that come out of the draft and play at that level.

C
Legend
Legend
C
We were second in three or more open receivers.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Allen Robinson, please.

I'm wondering if we should invest in a top-tier WR. I would think bringing one in as a FA would be difficult, giving the current state of the offense. Would one want to come here and see his numbers go down? Look at the WR production. Even when they are open, which turned out to be quite a bit. If we bring in a WR in FA, it's going to have to be a lower-middle tier guy who will be told he'd be a primary target. A chance to be a #1 receiver that he would not have anywhere else. My guess for next year is that we have more of a WR-by-committee thing, where we have a bunch of JAGs.

We could likely get one here if we grossly overpay. But we already have Hooper only earning a fraction of his paycheck, and I would not want to do that again. With what he has done with the opportunities he has had over the last 2 seasons, he should be in Marion doing 5-10 for larceny.

Of course, if we draft a WR then he has little choice than to come here. If so, be good to figure out how to use him.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
If you pay them they will come.

3 members like this: oobernoober, ScottPlayersFacemask, Milk Man
M
Legend
Legend
M
Yep. People like money.

Sign Kirk to play the slot after releasing Landry and saving $15.5M in cap space.

A WR group of Robinson, Wilson/Olave and Kirk with DPJ continuing to develop would be a nice overhaul of the unit.

It would also allow Berry more flexibility in the draft.

Calais Campbell on a one year deal with the money saved by releasing Keenum.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We have 39 mill. What is the point in releasing landry?

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by superbowldogg

Because we can spend his money elsewhere and roll over whatever extra we have. There are things we should be worried about, one of them should not be worrying about the cap with this front office.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
BJ Hill, DT
Christian Kirk, WR
Will Fuller, WR
Maxx Williams, TE
Jadeveon Clowney, Edge
David Njoku, TE

I would keep Landry giving Baker some familiarity. I also make it a goal to build around Schwartz and People-Jones. Draft another speed receiver. The key here is speed. I think Kirk and Fuller are needed for a little veteran presence.

Add Hill at DT to put a little beef in the middle to slow down the opposition's run game. I definitely would draft another run-stopping NT.

Maxx Williams is the missing puzzle at TE having a blocker.

Last edited by bugs; 01/16/22 12:38 AM.
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted by superbowldogg

Because we can spend his money elsewhere and roll over whatever extra we have. There are things we should be worried about, one of them should not be worrying about the cap with this front office.

You make a good point here, but the receiver group needs a much-needed overhaul. If not Landry, you will need a leader in that room.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Since he has been the GM Andrew Berry has had a pretty clear plan in the off-season. After the 2019 season our offensive line was in shambles. He signed Jack Conklin and drafted Jedrick Wills. After the 2020 our secondary was decimated. We signed John Johnson and Troy Hill and drafted Greg Newsome. Both of those weaknesses became strengths because of the attention given to them. I would guess the receiver position receives that same sort of attention and Berry has shown he knows how to fix weaknesses.

M
Legend
Legend
M

1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
C
Legend
Legend
C

See!

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I hope MR. Berry focuses on the WR position. It is a weakness for us at this point. Just about every playoff team has very good talent at the WR position. The 2 that don't got eliminated yesterday. Food for thought. WE need help at LB and D line too.

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 01/16/22 12:22 PM.
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Landrys production.doesnt justify his price tag. He is a possession WR with slow wheels.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If you pay them they will come.

Yes, which gets to my point about overpaying someone to come here. Which gets to your point of maybe our QB forcing the ball to a top-tier WR if we get one here. Or maybe be like Hooper and once he signs a big contract he becomes below average. Maybe we can use the money elsewhere.

Milk had mentioned overhauling the WR room by adding Robinson, Kirk and Wilson/Olave. That looks really good on paper, but with us running a lot of 3 TE sets, does it make sense? Stefanski did not start running 3 TE sets because our WRs suck, it is something he has been doing.

Look, I am not against improving the WRs. I just hope our passing game can make use of it. There is a woman here in my neighborhood who I have never seen drive even 20 mph. She has a Honda Civic which is fine for what she does. It does not make sense to go get her an Audi R8 just because it is a better car.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted by Jester
Good list. Wish they would have included the player's height and weight.

The salary projections are nice. I don't have a good gauge for the contract value a free agent would generate.

Two Browns on the list.

#13 Clowney
Contract Projection: One year, $15 million, $12 million total guaranteed
At the price tag I re-sign him

#43 Njoku
Contract Projection: Three years, $37.5 million ($12.5M per year, $25.5M total guaranteed)
At that price point I let him walk.
I think we can get a TE as good or better in rounds 2-4 (maybe even round 5) in this draft.
There are close to 10 TE in this draft that could be pretty good and give us similar if not better production at a fraction of the cost.

For Njoku, $12.5m for a TE is top 5 money and $2m/year more than Hooper makes (he was highest TE at the time of the deal). No way does Njoku get anything near that. I think he compares best to the Bengals Uzomah - so maybe 6.5m-7m /year. Just my opinion though.

Clowney gets that. I think we resign him to a multi-year deal - maybe a 3 year deal that is essentially a 2 year deal. Something like 3 years 45M with $20m signing bonus, 7.5m roster bonuses and low salaries the first and 2nd year. That'd be $11m cap year 1 and $14m cap year 2. Dead cap would be $6.67 year 3 or if we kept him the cap would be $20m. Essentially a 2 year deal worth 28m. He had a good year here and I think the prospects of being opposite Myles will keep him here.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Just some food for thought. When you build your offense to run and you don't have quality receivers, highest PFF receiver was Landry @ 74th, then you're a certain loser when you can't run the ball. Case in point, PHI was the number one running offense in 2021 and are getting their azzes cleaned by Tampa because they can't run the ball. NEP who has lived by the run supporting their rookie QB was humiliated yesterday by BUF who shut down the run and forced Jones to throw to a weak WR receiving group. Though the Pats group might be considered better than the Browns, the elimination of the run doomed them from the start.

First, say what you want, when there are 73 WR's rated by PFF higher than your best WR - YOU HAVE A MAJOR PROBLEM. The PFF rating grades the WR on every play whether they are getting the ball or not. Second, if your offense is set up around the run and a 2-3 TE set, what WR in his right mind is going to want to come to Cleveland for basically a single position and 150-200 less passing attempts than the top 10 teams (9 of which went to the playoffs this year. As a side note, 9 of the 14 playoff teams were in the top 10 in passing and after 3 games to this point, 2 of the 3 eliminated were not in the top 9 with SFO and PIT also having a strong likely hood of joining that group.

Bottomline is if you can't move the ball through the air at will then you are at a huge disadvantage. People on here are talking about revamping the WR's, what the hell for if you're going to run a 1 WR set more than 50% of the time? Someone earlier suggested Kirk and Fuller in FA to go with Landry. My question is what the hell are the other 2 guys going to be doing when the Browns are running 2-3 TE sets over 50% of the time. If you're going to go out and get WR's either through the draft or FA you have to change the scheme if you want to have any chance of a FA's coming here. At this point, I don't see Stefanski changing or Berry making him change but I will predict this - if there is not a dramatic improvement over 2021, Stefanski and Berry will both be gone long before Mayfield moves on to another team or gets a new deal. If you're going to run an outside the norm offense you had better win - another losing season or missed playoffs will fall squarely on Stefanski and Berry's shoulders long before it hits Mayfield.

Last edited by steve0255; 01/16/22 05:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
1 member likes this: Tackman
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by steve0255
The PFF rating grades the WR on every play whether they are getting the ball or not.

How PFF grades receivers:

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-how-pff-grades-receiving

The PFF grading system isolates the targeted receiver’s role on every pass attempt.

1 member likes this: oobernoober
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
My bad, actually "The PFF grading system isolates the targeted receiver’s role on every pass attempt. Credit is given for plays in which the receiver adds value to the offense, especially when it’s above and beyond what was called for schematically."

The PFF grading system credits receivers for creating big plays and elevating the play of the offense, while it downgrades for poor ball skills and poor route running. Receivers who consistently beat man and zone coverage, win contested catches or create yards after the catch will grade well in the PFF system. Receivers who fail to separate, fail to catch the ball consistently or fail to create after the catch will grade poorly.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Legend
Legend
Gallup is someone I’d still be interested in signing, even though he had the ACL injury a few weeks ago

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
The ever evolving excuse making machine rolls on.
thumbsup

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
M
Legend
Legend
M
I mentioned in another thread.

Baker has the same number of play off wins as Dak. For all those claiming that Baker just needs to win, and everything else is an excuse ... I guess Dak is a bum too and should be out of the NFL. Add to that , without question Dak has played on better teams than Baker.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
E
Legend
Legend
E
We were second in three or more open receivers.

I'm just curious stat boy, who had the most drops in the NFL???

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
1 member likes this: SuperBrown
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Free Agency 100 list

Link Copied to Clipboard