DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: bonefish The Season - 08/01/22 03:30 PM
If the suspension remains six games(I believe it will).

The impact at the end should not have that much effect.

If you lose your starting quarterback for six games you should be good enough to overcome that if you have a good team.

We won games last season with a quarterback who was hurt and ineffective.

With this team and JB playing quarterback and the team behind him including a top defense. We should win games that includes any of the six games JB will start.

Next man up. All teams lose players to injury or other suspensions, covid whatever.

I will make no excuses for the Browns. Go out there play hard and win games. The roster IMO is good enough to make the playoffs.
Posted By: AZBrown Re: The Season - 08/01/22 05:52 PM
Teams will stack the box against Brissett, forcing him to throw. With the questions we have at WR - the outlet receivers, the RBs catching the ball and the 2 TEs will have to really step up.

The 6 game difference should be if we can execute the short pass game, have time-consuming drives on offense that result in TDs not FGs, not being down by 7 points or more at the beginning of the4th quarter, and the defense staying healthy.

Brissett does not have to win games for us, he just can't lose them. Not a lot of room of error with him. It'll be interesting to see how Stefanski calls those 6 games.

3-3 wouldn't be disastrous. But 2-4 going into a tough stretch and (as others have said) Watson not having played a game in a long time - that could mean real trouble. On to hopes and expectations for next season.

Just don't want to see Rosen or Dobbs.
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Season - 08/01/22 05:58 PM
I will wait till I see how JB looks thru camp and pre-season.

I have not seen enough of him. What is out there on tape is decent. But this is now and with this team so I will wait.

We have a great OL and RB's. We have enough at TE and receiver to be at least average.

I feel good about the defense and special teams.

So we play six games one at a time. See what happens.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: The Season - 08/01/22 06:02 PM
This would probably be a better thread to start after the NFL makes a decision on whether they are going to appeal or not.
Posted By: Swish Re: The Season - 08/01/22 06:07 PM
somebody posted it earlier, but what are who are our opp the first 6 games? can Brissett manage the team well enough to have a .500 or better record?
Posted By: IrishDawg42 Re: The Season - 08/01/22 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by Swish
somebody posted it earlier, but what are who are our opp the first 6 games? can Brissett manage the team well enough to have a .500 or better record?

This is the NFL, we won't know what those 6 opponents really are until about week 4 anyway. Teams improve and get worse every off season. Most are saying they have a soft schedule to start, but we don't know those teams until they hit the field.

Week 1 @Panthers
Week 2 Jets
Week 3 Steelers(Thursday night)
Week 4 @Falcons
Week 5 Chargers
Week 6 Patriots

So, 6 games, 4 at home, imo, is more important than who they are facing at this point. I will say right now though, facing the Steelers the 3rd game of the season on a short week, they will have the advantage even if it is at home. Their system has been in place for years, having a short week will not effect them as much as us. That will be a true test of what the actual roster as a whole can accomplish. I don't think their roster has changed the last two years as much as any of the other 5 opponents has. One thing that IS on the Browns side... 4 of those teams also have QB questions they are trying to answer in 2022 and they all come in the first 4 games. If the Browns start 1-3 or 0-4, you might as well start looking to see what draft pick they have in 2023.
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Season - 08/01/22 07:26 PM
JB is as good or better as the quarterbacks we face in the first four games.

The Chargers and Pats will be different type games. We will have to play really well and get some turnovers.

The reality is we don't know how JB will play with this team.

So, it goes back to the cliches of next man up and play them one game at a time.
Posted By: Swish Re: The Season - 08/01/22 07:27 PM
i think both who we are facing , and the # of home games are important. those first 4 games are very manageable. its *possible* we can go 3-1 or 4-0, and end up 3-3 or 4-2 when watson returns.

dont even know who's starting for the panthers. wilson has to show the same interest in maturing on the field as he does the cougars off the field. steelers D will be good, but their offense looks messy. Falcons have little talent, a bad defense, and Mariota at QB.

dropping 2 in a row to the chargers and patriots is whatever.
Posted By: FATE Re: The Season - 08/01/22 08:51 PM
There are three ways to weigh this six weeks... Positive scenario, negative scenario, typical "what can Brown do for you" scenario...

Week 1 @Panthers
Week 2 Jets
Week 3 Steelers(Thursday night)
Week 4 @Falcons
Week 5 Chargers
Week 6 Patriots

We'll lose to either the Panthers or Jets and get smacked by the Steelers on Thursday night. We'll be 1-2, the sky will be falling, the media will have a field day...

We'll beat the Falcons and then upset one the next two to give us all hope at 3-3.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Season - 08/01/22 09:35 PM
The link includes a graph that has statistical probability for an NFL team to make the playoffs at a given point in the season based off their record.

Percentage chance to make the playoffs:

2-4 = 20%
3-3 = 42%
4-2 = 67%

Percentage chance to win the division:

2-4 = 9%
3-3 = 20%
4-2 = 38%

I think the Browns have to be 4-2 when Watson returns or it'll be quite the uphill battle. I'd have my doubts if the Browns were sitting at 3-3, especially considering the schedule weeks 7-12.

https://operations.nfl.com/gameday/...enough-to-make-this-year-s-nfl-playoffs/
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Season - 08/01/22 09:45 PM
I don't want to offer an opinion on how the Browns will do until I hear if the NFL appeals or not. They could still increase the suspension.

I will say that we probably should consider just how good the AFC is.

Allen, Burrow, Lamar, Mahomes, Herbert, Russ, Carr, and even Matty Ice on a loaded Colts team.

Teams added key players like K. Mack, Gregory, J.C. Jackson, Armstead, D. Adams, V. Miller, L. Collins, A. Cappa, C. Jones, J. Reid, etc.

The AFC is brutal.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: The Season - 08/01/22 09:57 PM
Isn't it funny how this helps the Patriots, hmm imagine that, in their playoff race against the ravens, because in back to back weeks the Patriots will play Brissett, and Baltimore will have to play Deshaun. Hmm, almost like the schedule makers knew and planned it.
Also, if this sticks, Watson would be eligible to play for 2 games, and then have the bye week.
The Season:
1. At Carolina, as I was told by Bengal fan. ( Baker is tuff but I know he's tuff when he's angry'd off! I wouldn't want to be your guys week one). so, loss.
2. Jets, hopefully the Browns squeak out a win, it's the home opener, and the defense alone could maybe ... Win!
3. Steelers, ( the steeler home game.) Browns will lose because the NFL, the NFL isn't a fair league, C'mon. Loss.
4. At the Falcons, hopefully the Browns squeak out a win at the Falcons, hopefully. Win. 2-2
5. LA Chargers in Cleveland. ... The NFL won't let the Browns win that. Loss ( And there goes the playoff hunt)
6. Patriots in Cleveland, ... hmm, oh the one year in 5 the Pats have to come to Cleveland, the NFL worked it out so they get to face a backup QB who they knew well from Indy, so, Patriots get manufactured luck, loss. 2-4

Then the suspension ends. and this week Watson will make his debut, against the Ravens week 7
Week 7, at Baltimore, with it's 60 mph crosswinds on FG tries, selectively, Browns lose, 2-5, (Oh how many years do they start 2-5 it ought to be on a postage stamp or something)
Week 8, the game before the bye, But Watson's 2nd game,
Week 8 Bengals game, Browns Win, Browns 3-5 into the bye. Yet mostly out of the playoff hunt.

Week 9 the bye week. ...

Week 10 At the Dolphins, Browns might win it. 4-5
Week 11 At the Bills, Browns actually win this game and not the previous, either way, 4-6
Week 12. Buccaneers in Cleveland, oh they play So well, so well, in a loss, 4-7
Week 13, At the Texans, ( If Baker had his revenge game, Deshaun ... if he's playing, would have his this game, and the Browns get to 5-7 oh their hopes are alive if only like playing the lottery ...
Week 14. At the Bengals, Loss, they split with the Bengals, ... 5-8
Week 15, Ravens, the home Ravens game, with a little help from the NFL, and on script, the Browns get a win, to go to 6-8
... at this point. There are 3 games remaining
Week 16. Saints
Week 17 At Washington
Week 18. At Steelers, ... all they'll have to do is win all 3 to remain in the hunt, and hopefully go on and win that super bowl...

What will actually happen, ( I think) is they'll be so uplifted to beat the Ravens, they split with the Ravens, Split with the Bengals, they'll be so uplifted they'll go OOPS against the Saints and go to 6-9
Being out of the Playoffs and on the road against the Washington, they'll probably get a win 7-9
Then they'll finish up at the Steelers... 7-10

It is what it is, they'll have to do better than that^ if they expect to make the playoffs at all........
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: The Season - 08/01/22 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by cfrs15
This would probably be a better thread to start after the NFL makes a decision on whether they are going to appeal or not.
It's in the perfect spot to help Los Angeles, New York, the Patriots, and Atlanta, in their playoff hunts against other teams
Any more games would take that advantage away, so, if one assumes the NFL wants those teams to succeed, (which I think is a reasonable assumption), then it's in the perfect spot and the NFL wouldn't appeal anything.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Season - 08/03/22 01:54 PM
I’d take 3-3 (assuming Watson is only suspended 6 games).

The stretch when he returns is BRUTAL though
Posted By: tpz Re: The Season - 08/04/22 03:53 AM
I think brisett will do just fine. This season. The whole thing.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: The Season - 08/04/22 03:54 AM

Smart guy.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: The Season - 08/04/22 05:17 AM
The season is over.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: The Season - 08/04/22 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by Rishuz
The season is over.

It hasn't even started.

I am not as gloom and doom as some. We almost won our division with the "crappy" Baker playing last year. We can call it the injured baker so as not to cause argument on that front.

I think Brissett is at least as good as that, probably a bit better since Brissett knows his limitations while the "injured" Baker was trying to play like the "uninjured" Baker .

We have a good team. I think our D is good enough to win some games pretty much alone. I can see us limiting teams to 10 or less points 2-3 times this season. 20 or less another 3-4 times.

The O has a solid run game and should have a good short to mid range passing game. As long as the D keeps us out of shootouts needing 35-40 points, we should be in games. Add in a new kicker....yes, we won't know until he actually starts making kicks, but early results are looking up, we should have a good chance against anybody.

Even if Brissett goes the full season I see us winning around 11 games. A few bad bounces or missed kicks,maybe a few less, a few good bounces and made kicks, maybe 1-2 more.....be it some close games.

I am not sure Watson would carry us to all that many more wins, but he would increase the margin of those wins so it could be we would win 2-4 more games because the margin would eliminate a few of those last second defeats.
Posted By: mac Re: The Season - 08/04/22 11:26 AM
The season is over.

rish...no, the season is not over..!

The Browns actually planned for the possibility that they might not have Watson for the 2022 season and imo, Brissett is fully capable being the Browns #1.

Add a strong running game and a solid defense and the Browns should be capable of winning every game Brissett starts.

Training camp is just getting started so this idea that the season is over because one man might not see the field for a while simply defies common sense. Browns fans are not the sort that give up easily...keep that in mind, rish...
Posted By: Rishuz Re: The Season - 08/04/22 12:02 PM
I hope you're right, but I don't see it. Plus, this would have to mean four things happen...

1. Stefanski is good and can out coach the other side. Still a question mark.
2. Woods is good and can get the defense playing like the legion of boom. Big question mark.
3. The defense gets a nasty attitude and actually plays like the legion of boom because a group of those players refuse to lose. I don't think the defense has those types of personalities.
4. Njoku becomes the best tight end in the league because the Browns have next to nothing in the passing game. Very unlikely.

Plus, when the team figures out they have no chance to win, the injury bug will hit them hard.

Strap yourselves up. It's going to be a long, very unenjoyable season. Stefanski will take the fall at the end of the year, and although the Watson mess isn't his fault he'll likely deserve it because he can't raise the level of play of the team.

This is why the QB is so important. Lafleur is the winningest coach in the history of the NFL in his first three years and no one thinks he's a good coach. QBs cover up so many warts.

I'm not mad at the Browns for the gamble. Baker wasn't good enough and didn't work hard enough. They weren't going to win with him, make multiple playoffs, etc. But the gamble didn't pay off. The result will be a pretty sub standard product on the field.

The only thing that could save the season is trading for Jimmy G, but Berry has such a fascination with carrying over cap space that it's probably not.going to happen. They'll sell us on riding with Brissett until about week 4 when we are 1-3 and Stefanski starts showing up to press conferences with that shell shocked look he had most of the second half of last year. And round and round we'll go until the end of a miserable season with 8 months to wait until the next one...and probably still no answers at quarterback.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Season - 08/04/22 12:18 PM
The AFC is loaded w/excellent teams and there are a ton of great qbs. We won't have a great qb.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: The Season - 08/04/22 12:25 PM
I think :

1. Stefanski is a very good play caller - we'll see if he has overcome some of the issues we saw his first two years in play calling and game management.
2 & 3. Woods has got better and better after what I thought was a slow and conservative start. I don't know that he is the type of coach to play like the legion of Boom - but I think we are stacked on D and could easily be a top 5 defense. I think we will see a change and we won't play not to lose like we have before.
4. I don't see Njoku as 'the' top TE in the NFL. But he can be good enough. I like our WR more than you. Hopefully we keep some of them healthy - a healthy Cooper, DPJ and Bell would be a solid WR core.

I don't get the thought process that JG would be good enough - but Baker wasn't ... Watson is a clear upgrade over both of them, but JG and Baker are pretty similar in terms of performance. JG might have a higher level of play floor - but a lower ceiling. Unless of course you you judge BM on an injured season, which I don't. But I don't have faith in Brissett and losing Watson for an entire season (or 10 games) to me has always meant the trade was a bad move and would waste a year for too many great players whop are in their prime - The OL, Cooper, Chubb and Hunt, MG, JOK, Ward, Newsome, Greedy, JJ3. We'll see. Can only hope for the best. I've watched much worse Browns teams for many years, watched every play of every game when they didn't stand a chance. I'll be watching this year too.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: The Season - 08/04/22 12:42 PM
I think last year was my least enjoyable year in the past 10 or 15 years. To have that much talent and such high expectations and to crap the bed the way they did, I literally watched every game in silence. I didn't cheer when they did well. I didn't get mad when they did poorly. I knew the quarterback did not give them a chance to win and the season was going to be a waste. The only hope to win on a weekly basis was to get a big lead and hope they could hold on. If we fell behind, even in the first half, I knew we were done. It's just tough to get up to watch that. Hard to get excited. I know you disagree, but we saw Baker revert to the mean right before our eyes. It just felt hopeless on a week to week basis.

Contrast that with 1-31. The team was trying to lose. You knew they had no shot every week. You watch hoping for the best feeling like the future is bright because you'll have the number one overall pick and we'll be able to take what you hope is the next franchise QB. There's at least some excitement in that.

Now we are in 6-11 to 7-10 purgatory. I just can't get excited for that.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Season - 08/04/22 02:38 PM
I can agree that Brissett can be better than last year’s version of Baker.

The problem becomes that the AFC is stacked. I see 7-8 wins, which as we all know doesn’t mean much.

The other concern: this will be two FULL years without Watson playing a down.
Posted By: AZBrown Re: The Season - 08/04/22 06:08 PM
j/c:

If Brissett doesn't stay healthy for 6 to10 to17 games (or whatever), Rosen or Dobbs is our new quarterback. Just one big hit away.

I guess I'm a little worried.

Too much to overcome even with our O-line and running game? Not sure defense has enough depth.

I don't know.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: The Season - 08/04/22 06:22 PM
I posted how I felt in another thread but ill reiterate it here. Noone really knows how it will all turn out. Adam Schefter when asked said a lot is still up in the air and there are many variables involved. My opinion: without DW we are looking at a 6-7 win season. with him for the whole year 11-12 wins and we know that won't happen. Another lost year with all this talent. What a shame!!!
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: The Season - 08/04/22 11:33 PM
Originally Posted by tpz
I think brisett will do just fine. This season. The whole thing.

THE NFL STINKS
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: The Season - 08/05/22 12:44 PM
Last year...in the 2nd Qtr of game #2...I looked at my buddy and said "There went the season". So Browns fate-ish. We thought that was awful...then fate said "hold my beer"...except it wasn't fate this time...we went and did it to ourselves.

It's time to put DW on ice for the rest of TC...and go after Jimmy G.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: The Season - 08/05/22 03:08 PM
I just don't think Berry is going to do the Jimmy G thing. He should but he won't for two reasons ...

1. Arrogance. I 100% believe they think they can win with Brissett. When the Browns are 2-6 and their jobs are on the line, they'll wish they had rethought that.

2. Rollover cap space. Berry loves roll over cap space. At some point, you have to use it. You have a better chance of winning one championship in 20 years than going to the Super Bowl multiple times. Sustained success where you are playing in multiple Super Bowls is an urban myth unless of course you are the Patriots. The Rams will not sniff another Super Bowl with that group. Hell, their coach and best player wanted to retire after the season.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: The Season - 08/05/22 03:28 PM
Twitter has been a goldmine this morning. Someone floated getting Kaepernick.

YOLO!
Posted By: oobernoober Re: The Season - 08/05/22 06:50 PM
I think you and Balpeen in the earlier responses miss the most important aspect of this season. Injuries.

Yes, Baker stunk last year (not interested in debating the why's behind that, but the end results speak for themselves to the point where I think we can all agree). Yes the D stunk out of the gate and lost us a couple games. But the biggest thing that kept us out was the injuries, particularly to the Oline.

We have a talented team, and as long as they can stay on the field more than last year (which is a pretty low bar to clear), then we should do significantly better. A healthy Brisset vs a dinged Baker could make for fine debate (but probably not right now)... but I think that overall point is moot. We need to stay healthier, and it's hard to believe that we won't.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: The Season - 08/05/22 07:02 PM
I like the glass half full take, and I hope you are right.

But I just don't see it. We still have an unproven coach going into just his third year and a journeyman backup QB as our starter. If you've watched enough football over the years, and not just the Browns, you know that you are already starting at a disadvantage.

And we don't have a Ray Lewis type on the team that will help the coach raise the level of play of their teammates, keep guys motivated and bought in, and help to win in unconventional ways ... e.g., I keep saying if the defense can really establish an identity that might be good enough to overcome Brissett. What we will get instead when the going gets tough is guys hanging their heads, loss of effort, and a ton of mystery injuries. Those are the types of teams we usually field in Cleveland.

The other thing to consider is teams are going to sell out to stop the run, and we don't have any receivers. Deshaun was going to be able to help mitigate that because of his escapability, but Brissett won't. It's going to get ugly.

I HOPE I am wrong in the worst way. Admittedly, I am a pessimist by nature. However, if we had Deshaun all season I would be on here expecting playoffs. I just feel like I've watched enough football in my life that some of this becomes pretty predictable.

Again, I would like nothing more than to be wrong. I just want to enjoy watching the Browns play on Sunday and win football games.
Posted By: AZBrown Re: The Season - 08/05/22 07:40 PM
The other thing to consider is teams are going to sell out to stop the run, and we don't have any receivers. Deshaun was going to be able to help mitigate that because of his escapability, but Brissett won't. It's going to get ugly.

This.

Though I'm hoping DPJ and Njoku surprise us.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Season - 08/05/22 08:32 PM
I don't think we will stink. I do think that we went from a legit Super Bowl contender w/Watson to a team that might be able to have a winning record.

I doubt that we will get worse QB play than we had last year. Jacoby can't make others better or overcome other issues, but he won't take as many needless sacks as Baker and he will probably take better care of the ball. Our OL is elite. Our RBs are elite. And I think Cooper is a good WR.

I really disagree w/you about Stefanski. I like his scheme. I think he dials up a ton of short passes and and pounds the rock w/Brissett. I think his use of the ZBS is very good. Dude was NFL coach of the year just two years ago.

I think our defense improved as the year progressed and it should be even better this upcoming year.

I am not arguing w/you and I hope you don't think that. I'm so sick of the contentious behavior in this forum. I'm just trying to have a discussion w/you and I'm not calling you out or anything. Hell, I'm not even try to convince you. Different opinions are good. Just trying to talk some football.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: The Season - 08/05/22 09:11 PM
I don' take it as arguing. I actually hope you are right, and I am wrong.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: The Season - 08/05/22 09:29 PM
The year depends on which Jacoby Brissett shows up. 2019 Jacoby Brissett was about a league average QB (which would be a huge upgrade over the 2021 QB play). 2021 Jacoby Brissett was awful and worse than our 2021 play. With the talent we have on the roster we can win quite a few games with a QB who just doesn't screw things up.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: The Season - 08/05/22 10:09 PM
My main worry is whether JB can come out of the gate looking like he's been in this offense for years or if he looks like he got handed the playbook on the bus on the way to the game. Being a smart guy and knowing plays is one thing but comfort, consistency and timing is another. In every position group, we should be better.

TE - no more Hooper
RB - Chubb and Hunt spent lots of time out, especially Hunt
WR - Landry was beat up all year and DPJ was our #1 for large chunks
OL - down 3 OTs for chunks, and Wills was on a bum ankle from like halfway through week 1
FB - lol

I'm not at all discounting anything that you're saying. My argument is simply that, the overwhelming probability is that our injury situation will be nowhere near last year, and that should more than cover any deficit at QB (which shouldn't be that big of a deficit either because Baker was injured/stunk too).
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: The Season - 08/06/22 12:45 AM
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
I don't think we will stink.
The Browns could be 3-9 if Jacoby Brissett is the all year starter, 3-9 going into the final 5 games.
If they catch some breaks,
of course I think they could also be 0-12, or I-II or 2-I0, or 3-9

Of Course, if the NFL outcomes are fixed, as we'll almost never see a team railroad another team 59-0, (unless it's the browns..)
the nfl could just fix the outcomes to something more middle of the road.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: The Season - 08/06/22 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by oobernoober
My main worry is whether JB can come out of the gate looking like he's been in this offense for years or if he looks like he got handed the playbook on the bus on the way to the game. Being a smart guy and knowing plays is one thing but comfort, consistency and timing is another. In every position group, we should be better.

TE - no more Hooper
RB - Chubb and Hunt spent lots of time out, especially Hunt
WR - Landry was beat up all year and DPJ was our #1 for large chunks
OL - down 3 OTs for chunks, and Wills was on a bum ankle from like halfway through week 1
FB - lol

I'm not at all discounting anything that you're saying. My argument is simply that, the overwhelming probability is that our injury situation will be nowhere near last year, and that should more than cover any deficit at QB (which shouldn't be that big of a deficit either because Baker was injured/stunk too).

We could have the same problem with Watson, or Cooper, or anybody else for that matter. The starting gate for any number of teams can prove problematic.

I just think that no matter as to the why's, that has been debated enough, we were pretty close to winning the division last year with a QB who didn't play well all season.

At least in my mind there is no reason why we can't win games with Brissett at the helm. In some ways we could be even better because we will have a QB who knows his limitations rather than have a QB trying to be a QB who thought he was better than he actually was...for whatever reason. I also think the coaching staff will also have moderated expectations on what the QB can do which makes a difference in the approach the staff takes with the gameplan and actual play calls.

As an example, it might dictate that we opt to kick the field goal and take the 3 points rather than go for it on 4th and 4 on the 30 yard line.

As you pointed out, injury is also a big wildcard, so you never know how that is going to go, but we did have a lot of injuries last year. I don't like to say probably because things could be worse this year, but we probably won't be hit with injury as deeply as last season.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: The Season - 08/06/22 01:43 PM
Watson is the undisputed leader of the offense team etc. But who is going to step
Up and be that one that can galvanize the team and locker room while he is suspended?
This team in the past has shown it tends to falter and crumble when adversity
Rears itself.

The Browns can make the playoffs but the margins are very narrow
One of my concerns is that the Browns are weak up the middle on defense
Yeah yeah the Browns can run the ball as well any offense in the league
But other teams will do the same to the Browns.
Woods wants to have 5 defensive backs on the field more so than 3 LBers.
If teams can gash the Browns on the ground, then he has to play more base 4-3

Stefanski will have to ask his WRs to really step up this year. Its a passing
League. The Browns simply cannot take a 1985 gameplan and get to the playoffs
On that scheme.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Season - 08/06/22 02:44 PM
I heard Chuck Pagano heap praise on Brissett saying he’s a big upgrade over Mayfield. We’ll see how right he is.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: The Season - 08/06/22 04:22 PM
2021 Jacoby Brissett was awful and worse than our 2021 play.

And he was healthy.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: The Season - 08/06/22 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
And he was healthy.
rofl Oh that's fast becoming a myth by anyone still posting about our former QB. Those that choose to talk about the player no longer on the team and how badly he played never mention the injury ... so you should stop brining that up too.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: The Season - 08/06/22 07:23 PM
I understand how having a firm grasp of the obvious bothers some people. naughtydevil
Posted By: FATE Re: The Season - 08/06/22 08:51 PM
Yep. And they're already setting the stage with excuses for the upcoming "administration"... talking about the all the early injuries at WR.

It will be a different world, but you already know that.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: The Season - 08/07/22 02:12 AM
I understand how having a firm grasp of the obvious bothers some people. naughtydevil
Are you facing a 6 game suspension too?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: The Season - 08/07/22 04:00 PM
No, but if I were the only person now facing one I would certainly be expecting the length of the suspension to be increasing.
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Season - 08/11/22 01:35 PM
My interest in this season has dimmed.

I am upset by DW and his behavior. I am equally upset by the owners(the NFL) and their behavior.

The Browns have plenty of talent and guys who I want to watch play football.

So I will still watch the games. But I have to admit that the fire is not there.

I am way more excited to be watching MLB playoffs. Pulling for the Braves and Guardians.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Season - 08/11/22 02:32 PM
I agree w/this for the most part. I’m still excited for the year, but my expectations for our success have really taken a hit.

We have a lot of talent, but probably won’t be .500, so it’s another wasted year
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: The Season - 08/11/22 07:30 PM
I agree with the last few posts. However, there is a way to save this season if DW is suspended for the whole year, trade for Jimmy G. We can probably get him for a #2 and #3 and one of our back-up QB's. When DW comes back next season, we have to be sure he will, we can trade JG for what we gave up for him. If he does really well for us maybe, we can get more in return. Just a thought.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: The Season - 08/12/22 09:58 PM
0 and I7 is a reach, but I think 2-I5ish is a real possibility, so it's frustrating, a frustrating time of year. We can't even look forward to a top I0 pick next year.
I don't know how a Jacoby Brissett led offensive team can win any game, any game whatsoever, at all.
( At lunch time I hear the WKNR soundbite about the Opener, and the defense won't let Baker beat them.) Oh I could imagine,
The Browns defense plays like all stars, the defense gets 6 turnovers, and
the Browns offense Lays' such an egg, that they still only get 3 or 6 points,
and the ... Baker/Panthers, (feels dumb to say) would probably Still get 2I points,, 2I-6 a I6 point victory, I think about fits,

All he knows is he's got to score seventeen. The Browns in 202I couldn't reach I7 points in about 8 of their games last year.
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Season - 08/18/22 04:55 PM
Well now we know.

Jacoby games -

Panthers, Jets, Steelers, Falcons, Chargers, Patriots, Ravens, Bengals, Dolphins, Bills, Bucs

Deshaun games -

Texans, Bengals, Ravens, Saints, Commanders, Steelers

===============================================================================

First thing that stands out is the division games are equal. Three apiece.

Until I see Jacoby play with this Browns offense I will pass on analysis on he he will fare.

We have a good team. I look forward to watching them play.

I have never been into predicting games. You play each game expecting to win. Knowing any team can beat you if you play poorly.

It will be a challenge but I am hoping for a winning season.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Season - 08/18/22 05:05 PM
It's hard for me to say w/out seeing how we look w/Jacoby, but the record might be about the same as last year.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: The Season - 08/18/22 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by bonefish
[Well now we know.

Jacoby games -

Panthers, Jets, Steelers, Falcons, Chargers, Patriots, Ravens, Bengals, Dolphins, Bills, Bucs

Deshaun games -

Texans, Bengals, Ravens, Saints, Commanders, Steelers

I think we should win the games highlighted. 9-8. We need to start 4-0.
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Season - 08/18/22 05:31 PM
The Browns made the change from Case to Jacoby for a reason.

Jocoby is a veteran backup. He has played and he has been about as expected for a backup.

What we will see is how the staff adjusts? What type of game plans are made? Who will JB develop chemistry with?

Can we develop enough of a passing game to still keep our run game effective?

Now with a clear picture of the schedule can the defense be a savior?

I have high expectations for the defense. I sure hope they come through. Like everyone we don't know how the DT's will do?

However, I think the secondary is really deep and strong. I am happy with the linebacker room. Myles is Myles. He is a great player. Clowney played well for us last season.

This is for sure a week by week deal. Play one game at a time. Find out what we can do well.

I am good to go. Happy to get to games. I will not engage in anything other than pure football. Not my place to get into how people feel. Frankly, my interest is football.

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Season - 08/18/22 06:07 PM
We have our work cut out for us to be anywhere near .500 until Watson is back IMO. Having them add 5 games means Brissett has to face the Ravens, Bengals, Dolphins, Bills, and Bucs .. OOF
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Season - 08/18/22 06:18 PM
Yikes.
Posted By: hitt Re: The Season - 08/18/22 06:29 PM
Doom and Gloom, the Browns way- we BEAT the Bungles TWICE last year, but we lose both this year....come on. Injuries will be huge again. Healthy, we can beat anyone with either QB.
Old school, Blanton Collier- our NFL championship coach said....on any given Sunday anyone can win....GO Browns!!!
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Season - 08/18/22 07:42 PM
I gave up trying to predict NFL games. I never bet so odds and all that I never even look.

Kinda strange I don't listen to much tv football talk. I tape the games and start to watch about mid-second quarter so I can skip commercials.

The only tv football show I do watch is NFL Match-Up with Greg Cosell. I like that show. Cosell gives great play breakdowns.

As each week comes I try to scout the team we play. Look at favorable matchups. Try to figure our plan to attack on both sides.

Then see if I am anywhere close when the game is played.

Right now I have to see JB with this Browns offense. Full blown question mark to me. I know the rest of the team but JB with this offense. Don't have a clue.

Well I have some guesses. I guess. But over time I will form some opinion on our offense with JB.

I am very ready to move to football by itself. Turn on the game and watch.

* (I am all in on the Braves and Guardians).
Posted By: AZBrown Re: The Season - 08/18/22 07:51 PM

I am very ready to move to football by itself. Turn on the game and watch.

100 percent.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: The Season - 08/18/22 08:06 PM
Personally, I think this is a wasted season. Mostly because I think Baker would have given us the best chance to go to a SB this year. I get why the browns wanted DW, he's an upgrade OR SHOULD BE, but in the long run, I think we will regret this entire episode of the same ole browns. I doubt that we will have the weapons next year that we do this year and I doubt Watson will return to his prior high-level play for at least a couple of years. Sure, you can be off a bike for years and get right back on and ride, but the intricacies of the Pro QB position are in no way comparable. He needs to knock off the rust, learn the playbook, get comfortable with players, coaches, etc. then build the kind of chemistry that helps you succeed on the field. And most importantly, he can't throw to himself and we have a not-so-great WR room IMO. I hope for the sake of the fans this isn't what ends up happening, but I think this is just as likely as him leading us to and winning a SB in the next 3-5 years. And if we can't make the playoffs regularly with DW, this becomes a pitifully poor decision.
Posted By: steve0255 Re: The Season - 08/18/22 08:35 PM
JMHO, but I think Watson missing 11 games is causing more harm than just the 11 games. Because it's only 11 games, 2022 becomes a vested year. That means Watson's base salary jumps from 1.035M in 2022 to 46M in 2023. Add into that jump Garrett's base salary that goes from 1.035M in 2022 to 17.25M in 2023. That 49M in cap space the Browns are currently sitting on disappears with Watson and Garretts increases of 61.18M over 2022 base salaries. I am positive that it almost kills going after Jimmy G and his 24.3M salary he's due in 2022 which I'm sure he'd have an issue renegotiating knowing he'd be out of a job at seasons end.

On another note, if I was Brissett knowing I'm on a 1-year deal for 4.5M and that I'm the starter for 70% or more of the games and with all the talk about Jimmy G - I'm asking for a substantial raise (15M-20M) or I'm sitting out.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: The Season - 08/18/22 08:47 PM

Posted By: bonefish Re: The Season - 08/18/22 08:51 PM
Unless you are the last team standing. You are disappointed.

Winning a Super Bowl is damn hard to do. I have been waiting since 1964. Lots of things have to go right not just the quarterback.

Aaron Rodgers has been playing the position at the highest level for years.

Brady gave the chance to the Patriots damn near every year. What the Pats have done is off the chain.

Five teams have won back to back SB. Two after free agency.

DW should give the Browns a chance. Probably are best chance since Bernie. Still far from a sure thing.

"Wasted?" I guess it depends on how you look at it. When we won a playoff a game. I damn near cried. I was beginning to think we would never have a winning season.

When Cody Kessler started a season as our starter. I needed to vomit before each game. So, I guess it is a matter of perspective.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Season - 08/18/22 09:39 PM
I agree .. we will have a better chance with DW than we had with Baker. The problem is THIS year is toast.

The crappy thing is it’s another wasted year for Myles, Chubb, Bitonio, Teller, Ward, etc
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: The Season - 08/18/22 09:40 PM
After the news today I really feel like we are going to finish last in our division and win between 6-8 games. I can't see it any other way unless Jacoby Brissette has a great season. How likely is that? JMO
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: The Season - 08/18/22 10:06 PM
Who are they going to blame when the losses start stacking?

7 wins is the Ceiling. ... ????
They have no receivers.
They aren't returning any of their top 3 receivers from last year. Their #2 TE is gone, from last year.
The Starting center is gone from an all star OL,

The Defensive line is in total rebuild mode with No meat up the middle, and they cut Sheldon Day??? Are they kidding?

They spent 3K000 pounds of whatever to trade Baker for what ends up as Brissett and Dobbs, and Brissett and Dobbs throwing to NO RECEIVERS.

A good @uarterback to WR combination, that's built over time, it is like an accurate firearm.
If you don't have either one it's like using the wrong sized ammunition, ( so Bad).
Posted By: steve0255 Re: The Season - 08/18/22 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by THROW LONG

They have no receivers.
They aren't returning any of their top 3 receivers from last year. Their #2 TE is gone, from last year.

The Defensive line is in total rebuild mode with No meat up the middle, and they cut Sheldon Day??? Are they kidding?

They spent 3K000 pounds of whatever to trade Baker for what ends up as Brissett and Dobbs, and Brissett and Dobbs throwing to NO RECEIVERS.

A good @uarterback to WR combination, that's built over time, it is like an accurate firearm.
If you don't have either one it's like using the wrong sized ammunition, ( so Bad).
Originally Posted by THROW LONG

They have no receivers.

No excuses, none were allowed for 2021 so none are acceptable for 2022 - just saying.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: The Season - 08/18/22 10:17 PM
People, as usual, are over-reacting. JB, with his history of taking care of the ball, our run game and with our defence on the rise, can get us to 7 wins. I don’t think the Bengals are as good as some think, the Steelers are going to slide; the Ravens are the team I worry about the most in our division.

The season isn’t over just because Watson is gone for 11 games.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Season - 08/18/22 10:23 PM
No excuses, none were allowed for 2021 so none are acceptable for 2022 - just saying.

The voice of authority.........LMAO. I bet very few people give a rat's behind what you think.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: The Season - 08/18/22 10:27 PM

The voice of authority.........LMAO. I bet very few people give a rat's behind what you think.

Facts don't matter to you?
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Season - 08/18/22 10:59 PM
Well Joe Thomas had a career of wasted seasons.

To me there is no wasted seasons. Just seasons. Honestly, I watch each game with little expectations just hope.

I seriously don't look at games and think there are sure wins or loses. The NFL is about parity. There are good players all over the league and on every team.

When the Browns won one game in two years. It was because they were built to lose. That was football fan torture.

I don't ever want to go through that again.

There is no way I am going into this year seeing "a wasted season."

We have a lot of very good players. I look forward to watching them play. I see no reason to believe that JB can't win 6 or 7 games with this team.

Who predicted that the Bengals would go the Super Bowl last year? We do a few things better last season in a couple games. We would have been in the playoffs.

I am far from doom and gloom.

Frankly, people can rag on Haslam's or the Browns coaches all they want. They can scream about the DW trade. Does not bother me a bit. DW is a Brown and has a number on his back. When he plays. I hope he plays well. While Jocoby is the quarterback. I am behind him 100%.

I turn on the game and hope like hell we win the game. And that is all.
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: The Season - 08/18/22 11:06 PM
I see a season where our defense takes us to the playoffs. 3rd year in the system, and talent at all levels. Our kicking game should be better, and Brissett does not turn the ball over much. Chubb and Hunt are going to carry this team. Brissett is a smart enough guy, to take what the defense gives him, and we have multiple backs who can be good in the passing game. If we win the first game, I think we can win the next three. From there, it is going to take the defense to keep us in the tougher games. I think we will win ten games.
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Season - 08/18/22 11:50 PM
Really throw?

Why bother? Seriously why bother?

If all you see is negativity why torture yourself?
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Season - 08/19/22 12:21 AM
Good post.

We have not played a single game with Jacoby. We have not seen Cooper. IMO it would be best to get a look at these two new players on this offense.

We are familiar with most of the offense outside of Pocic. In addition final cuts still need to happen. We may still make changes after we have had a chance to evaluate the players we have.

I agree with you on our defense. I get the DT concern. We really do not know what Winfrey will do? Maybe good, average, or bad. Jordan Elliott is in his third season and has not played much. When he did. He played poorly. However, the word is he is in better condition and focused. Again, maybe good, average, or the same? I don't think we should assume until we see. Every year is different. Togiai? Second season. Usually players improve from their rookie year.
Taven Bryan. Honestly, I need to see him play. If he is average. I am ok with that. If we can achieve average with a rotation at DT. We will be fine.

One place where I think we will see better results from the defense is turnovers. We use lots of nickle and dime. And we have the players to do that.
When you have linebackers that can cover lots of good things can happen. I think Jacob Phillips will play faster. Most everyone knows how I feel about JOK.
Walker is a smart veteran and Taki is an improved player.

I feel very good about the Browns defense.

Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: The Season - 08/19/22 03:27 AM
Unless you are the last team standing. You are disappointed.

Winning a Super Bowl is damn hard to do. I have been waiting since 1964. Lots of things have to go right not just the quarterback.

Aaron Rodgers has been playing the position at the highest level for years.

Brady gave the chance to the Patriots damn near every year. What the Pats have done is off the chain.

Five teams have won back to back SB. Two after free agency.

DW should give the Browns a chance. Probably are best chance since Bernie. Still far from a sure thing.

"Wasted?" I guess it depends on how you look at it. When we won a playoff a game. I damn near cried. I was beginning to think we would never have a winning season.

When Cody Kessler started a season as our starter. I needed to vomit before each game. So, I guess it is a matter of perspective.

It is. I felt we were almost there and just needed Baker healthy. But when the fans turned on him after the OBJ fiasco, the writing was on the wall. I was actually stunned they went after DW and paid him so much, but I fully expected this year to be Baker's last. Unless he delivered that is, but he never got that opportunity.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: The Season - 08/19/22 04:28 AM
Baker is gone.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: The Season - 08/19/22 01:46 PM
Which of the first 11-12 teams will be able to slow our run game and score a bunch of points on our defense? Defense is strong, and our offense will (should) have a pretty distinct identity.

Jacoby is not Kessler or Kizer.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: The Season - 08/19/22 02:02 PM
Which of the first 11-12 teams will be able to slow our run game and score a bunch of points on our defense? Defense is strong, and our offense will (should) have a pretty distinct identity.

Jacoby is not Kessler or Kizer.
If the run game was everything then the Browns would
Have advanced farther than they have under KS.
A strong running game has its place in the NFL, but I don't
Think you can to the SB with a strong running game.
Look at last 4 SB teams..how many of them had strong
Rushing attacks?
Those offenses identities were throwing the football.

I see alot of Kool aid drinking on the Browns defense
It has alot talented gifted players from Garrett to Ward etc.
But I see a defense that struggled to get off the field
In the 4th of close games.
And so overlooked, the Browns defense doesn't create
Turnovers at a rate to quantify it as a playoff caliber
Defense. It ranked in the bottom of takeaways last year.
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Season - 08/19/22 02:23 PM
Defensive turnovers has been a focus of the camp. Ward throwing in $400 per turnover.

IMO linebacker play will overall improve and get turnovers. JOK was a rookie last year. He missed sometime and Woods did not want to overwhelm him.

In his second year JOK will be set free. Phillips has speed and talent but he missed a lot of games. I believe he will be an improved player.

The secondary is loaded and deep. We have the personnel to run nickel and dime match-ups. Pressure is always key. We can apply pressure with Myles and Clowney.

So I see more turnovers from this defense this year over last season.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Season - 08/19/22 02:30 PM
Turnovers can certainly be an X factor. It’s an equalizer for teams that aren’t good offensively (which will be us).

We’re going to have to hold teams under 17 points
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Season - 08/19/22 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
Turnovers can certainly be an X factor. It’s an equalizer for teams that aren’t good offensively (which will be us).

We averaged 20.5 points per game last year. Do you really think we are going to have worse qb play this year than we had last year? I'm not saying that Brissett is a better qb, but I bet he throws fewer picks and takes fewer needless sacks.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: The Season - 08/19/22 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by hitt
Doom and Gloom, the Browns way- we BEAT the Bungles TWICE last year

Not with Brissett at QB they didn't.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: The Season - 08/19/22 04:27 PM
We averaged 20.5 points per game last year. Do you really think we are going to have worse qb play this year than we had last year? I'm not saying that Brissett is a better qb, but I bet he throws fewer picks and takes fewer needless sacks.

One would hope that a 100% healthy QB would perform better than one injured for 14 games. But I know leaving that part out is convenient. In 2020 we averaged 26.3 ppg. You know, with a healthy QB. That made the Browns ranked 13th in points scored per game in the NFL.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/points-per-game?date=2021-02-08

BTW- Houston ranked 18th in 2020 with an average of 24 ppg.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: The Season - 08/19/22 04:39 PM

One would hope that a 100% healthy QB would perform better than one injured for 14 games 15 games. But I know leaving that part out is convenient. In 2020 we averaged 26.3 ppg. You know, with a healthy QB. That made the Browns ranked 13th in points scored per game in the NFL.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/points-per-game?date=2021-02-08

BTW- Houston ranked 18th in 2020 with an average of 24 ppg.

Fixed it for you. But I've mentioned before - the injury has become a myth omitted from most posters comments talking about his performance in 2021. Certainly the one poster who talks about Baker more than ANY other poster, never mentions the injury - other than to claim that it didn't impact Baker's ability to throw or impact his performance last year (Maybe he has an advanced medical degree also?)
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: The Season - 08/19/22 04:47 PM

Please bear in mind the Browns are facing different defenses
This season coming up.
Yeah the offense averaged 20 pts a game last year. But there
Wasn't a whole lot of big time monster defenses
This offense had to face on Sundays last season. it faces a healthy Ravens defense. The Chargers are improved with the addition of Mack.
The Bills have as many playmakers on defense
As the Browns. The Bucs are solid defensively.
So in essence the Browns offense isn't a automatic
20 pts a game this year. It's simply facing better defenses
This year.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: The Season - 08/19/22 05:01 PM

I'm going to go back and do the math eventually, but I'm slammed @ work today. My question is... how much ded the healthy Baker games push that average up? For the sake of argument, we should remove those first couple games because Baker was healthy and, IIRC, we put up a ton of points.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: The Season - 08/19/22 05:10 PM

You could well be right, but that also may not matter.
When I look at his career numbers, what I see is a QB that is either decent-ish, or trash. Even if he never throws all that many INT's, he also is very prone to being completely ineffectual with the ball. The common thread is that when he is allowed to scramble a little, he has better numbers. The seasons of his that you look at where his rushing numbers are low, his rating drops to the 30-50 range. Basically, if defenses stop his scrambling and keep him in the pocket, life gets difficult for him..... so, we might well be looking at exactly what we had last year, or worse, since even with as much as you hate Baker, he IS a better QB and playmaker than Brisset.

Time will tell, but I don't think defenses are going to fret too much over our passing game (particularly our WRs), and they will, same as last year, focus on stopping Chubb and keeping the QB in the pocket until/unless we're able to force them out of that.... and I don't know that we'll be able to.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: The Season - 08/19/22 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by lampdogg
Baker is gone.

And I fully accept that. But it doesn't mean I can't mention or talk about him. Or does that not sit well with you for some reason? Are we so worried about the new guy that talking about the last guy is taboo? gmab.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: The Season - 08/19/22 05:21 PM
Hang on - are we saying "excuses" for how the team and players perform are now all of a sudden acceptable? Kewl. For the last 4 years that hasn't been the case and any mitigating factors discussed have been roundly chastised and shouted down by a few of y'all.
Posted By: FrankZ Re: The Season - 08/19/22 05:22 PM
Doom and Gloom, the Browns way- we BEAT the Bungles TWICE last year

Not with Brissett at QB they didn't.

We've also never lost a game with Brissett at QB.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Season - 08/19/22 06:35 PM
J/c

If Brissett is better than Baker last year we’ll take it. I also expect our playbook to be tightened up with him
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: The Season - 08/19/22 06:54 PM
Doom and Gloom, the Browns way- we BEAT the Bungles TWICE last year, but we lose both this year....come on. Injuries will be huge again. Healthy, we can beat anyone with either QB.
Old school, Blanton Collier- our NFL championship coach said....on any given Sunday anyone can win....GO Browns!!!
The Bengals started Brandon Allen in the 2nd Meeting
They were resting their key players cause of their playoff berth.
What does beating the Bengals mean if you miss the playoffs
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: The Season - 08/19/22 06:57 PM
It means NOTHING. But it FEELS GOOD.
Posted By: steve0255 Re: The Season - 08/19/22 07:47 PM

To think, you brag about being educated. It would appear that there's a lot more support on my side than the unmoral majority that you are president of.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Season - 08/19/22 07:52 PM

I'm going to go back and do the math eventually, but I'm slammed @ work today. My question is... how much ded the healthy Baker games push that average up? For the sake of argument, we should remove those first couple games because Baker was healthy and, IIRC, we put up a ton of points.

I don't know, but I think we scored around 30 pts each game. My point was that we had an injured Baker, Keenum, and Mullen at qb for the entire year. Overall, the qb play was terrible and we still averaged more than 17 pts per game. I don't expect us to be a high-scoring team, but I do expect that we will average more than 17 pts a game.

I also think we will have fewer interceptions and sacks this upcoming year. Obviously, interceptions hurt the defense due to the other team getting more offensive possessions and sacks put the offense behind the chains which often leads to more three and outs and shorter time of possession. I don't expect us to be legitimate challengers for a deep playoff run, but I am not sure if I buy all the doom and gloom either. I expect a record that is similar to last year's record. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

One more note about beating Cinci twice. Not only did Cinci rest most of their starters in the final game of the year, it was also the game that Baker chose to sit out and Keenum was the qb.
Posted By: hitt Re: The Season - 08/24/22 09:16 PM
The "what if" game can be played many ways- what if Baker hadn't decided to be a tackling dummy- maybe he'd still be our QB. We beat Super Bowl team twice. Another "what if"- York as kicker MAYBE we'd won SEVERAL more games-- GO Browns!!!
Posted By: steve0255 Re: The Season - 08/24/22 09:44 PM

Not that it matters but I do find it interesting that the Browns are rated between 14th and 16th in almost all fantasy leagues and are hit and miss on being drafted.

Fantasy Scoring for defenses and special teams:
Sack 1 pt
Interception 2 pts
Fumble Recovery 2 pts
Scored Touchdown 6 pts
Safety 2 pts
Block Kick 2 pts
Kickoff and Punt Return Touchdowns 6 pts
Points Allowed 0 points 10 pts
Points Allowed 1-6 points 7 pts
Points Allowed 7-13 points 4 pts
Points Allowed 14-20 points 1 pts
Points Allowed 21-27 points 0 pts
Points Allowed 28-34 points -1 pts
Points Allowed 35+ points -4 pts
Extra Point Returned 2 pts

Kinda funny that a lot of the things we need the Browns defense to accomplish this season is used in fantasy scoring.

I suspect that the millions of fantasy players think the Browns have to do a whole lot of improvement to make it a top 5 defense. Just something to chew on................

Top 5 Defenses:
1. Buffalo
2. LA Rams
3. Tampa Bay
4. Indianapolis
5. San Francisco
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: The Season - 08/24/22 10:04 PM
This is a joke, right?
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Season - 08/27/22 02:36 PM
Sometimes you surprise yourself.

This is one of those times. I truly have no expectations for this season. That surprises me.

In the past I have gone into a season wondering if we would win a single game.

Another time I thought we were going to the Super Bowl.

This season I simply do not know what we will do. Of course starting off I don't know what kind of play we will get at quarterback.

Not real sure about wide receiver either. I really do not know what to expect from the interior DL.

What I do know:
We can run it. We have a deep and talented OL. We have a deep and talented secondary. I know Myles and Clowney.
I am expecting a great year from JOK. And I think we have a kicker.

Even with what I think I know. I don't know how we will play. I would not begin to try to predict our final record until I see at least a game.

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Season - 08/27/22 03:26 PM
It's really tough to predict anything w/out seeing how Brissett plays.
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Season - 08/27/22 04:05 PM
I get that there is tape on JB. And there is this kinda of coverage that "this is what JB is."

But what he did was with other teams. "Other teams and at a different time."

I don't know what he will do with this team in this offense. I have an idea of what KS will want him to do.

Then when DW plays. How will he look? Again this is inside the Browns offense.

I have programmed myself to just watch the games.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: The Season - 08/27/22 08:43 PM
It's really tough to predict anything w/out seeing how Brissett plays.

And how the defense plays and if Stefanski can outcoach/outscheme the other team.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Season - 08/27/22 10:40 PM
I think our defense has some history that we can use to help prognosticate. And I am on record as saying that Stefanski is very good at scheming and he is a cool customer during games. I just haven't seen how JB will look in this offense and I haven't seen enough of him over the years to make a solid evaluation.
Posted By: steve0255 Re: The Season - 08/27/22 10:45 PM

The Browns averaged 20.5 pts per game in 2021 and allowed 21.8 pts per game.

If you take out the first 2 games before Mayfield was injured:

The Browns averaged 19.3 pts per game in the other 15 games in 2021 and allowed 21.1 pts per game.

Just an FYI, the first 2 games the Browns averaged 30 pts per game and allowed 27 pts per game for a 1-1 record. Basically a 10.7 reduction in points per game in 2021 from preinjury Mayfield and post injury Mayfield.

NFL Scoring Avg First Two Games 2021
1. Tampa Bay (2-0) 39.5
2. Arizona (2-0) 36.0
3. Kansas City (1-1) 34.0
4. Baltimore (1-1) 31.5
5. LA Rams (2-0) 30.5
6. Cleveland (1-1) 30.0
Posted By: mgh888 Re: The Season - 08/28/22 02:08 AM
Originally Posted by steve0255
Basically a 10.7 reduction in points per game in 2021 from preinjury Mayfield and post injury Mayfield.
Purely coincidental - as is the 25% completion % difference pre and post injury .... I'm sure you are aware, the injury didn't impact Baker's performance.
Posted By: steve0255 Re: The Season - 08/28/22 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by mgh888
Originally Posted by steve0255
Basically a 10.7 reduction in points per game in 2021 from preinjury Mayfield and post injury Mayfield.
Purely coincidental - as is the 25% completion % difference pre and post injury .... I'm sure you are aware, the injury didn't impact Baker's performance.

I'm fully aware of the conspiracy on this forum. To take it a little further, in 2020 the Browns averaged 25.5 points per game and allowed 26.2 on their way to that 11-5 record but it was the defense that carried the team that year too.

With the stacked AFC, it would appear that averaging less than 25 pts per game will result in a losing record in 2022. Of the 18 NFL teams with winning records, only 4 or 22% (Las Vegas 22, New Orleans 21.4, Pittsburgh 20.1 and Miami 20.1) averaged less than 25 pts per game in 2021. However, only one team - Philadelphia - made the playoffs having 8 or more losses in 2021. In the AFC, that number was more than 7 losses eliminated your team.

Except for a possible outlier, it would appear that averaging over 25 points per game with 10 or more wins would be the bare minimum to make the playoffs in 2022. Two more weeks until the footballs start flying all over every stadium in the country.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: The Season - 08/28/22 01:01 PM
In our (3) pre-season games...my eye saw a Browns team that was not prepared or disciplined. I still think Ski is learning 'on the fly'. That play-sheet he has in his face has "over-thinking" written all over it.

We looked like a team implementing new systems on O & D vs the Bears in the first half.

Jacoby should have played a lot more than only the 1st half of the last pre-season game.

A prediction for the Monday after the opening win: Myles got winded there in the 2nd half and the young guys stepped up to hold the line for us.

You have to play football to get in "football" shape. Did Chub or Hunt get a carry in pre-season?
Posted By: mgh888 Re: The Season - 08/28/22 01:43 PM
I have not seen much of the Preseason - however I hope this is just a case of playing vanilla, preseason football. Not giving anything away and protecting the players ... I agree that the Pre-season training camp and games (camp cupcake) - KS might be too "safe" and have too little contact and reps to prepare players to be ready game 1 - but it's a long season and I haven't yet made up my mind whether the soft start ends up creating more injuries in season, whether it helps prevent injuries, or whether it simply doesn't matter and injuries during the season are completely random or tied to other factors more so than how hard they go at it in the build up.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: The Season - 08/28/22 02:12 PM
I'm with you on that...I just see other teams committing fewer stupid penalties and looking like they are on the same page and with an actual plan on what they want to do. I don't get that feeling with the Browns.

We had a penalty on a kickoff (we were kicking) before the ball hit the ground and yet-another procedure penalty with two guys in motion at the same time. We look like a new team with new coaches and new game-plans...with the exception of OL personnel.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Season - 08/28/22 02:13 PM
Penalties is a bad trend. The weird thing is in Stefanski’s first season (with a rookie QB) we were near the top of the NFL in fewest penalties. It’s gone the complete other direction since then.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: The Season - 08/28/22 02:15 PM
If I recall correctly, we were heavily penalized last year as well.

I don't know what the Browns do in practice besides take a bunch of mental reps and shoot hoops.

I literally have no idea what Stefanski's strengths are. If someone could list them I'd appreciate it.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Season - 08/28/22 02:17 PM
A lot of penalties last night, but we only had 27 yds in penalties last week despite playing w/so many young players.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Season - 08/28/22 02:23 PM
I've already listed them, but to address last year's penalties. We committed the 7th most penalties in the league. Four playoff teams and one that could have been had their dumb coach blown it by not accepting a tie in the last game of the year were ahead of us. Dallas, Las Vegas, Arizona, and Buffalo had more than us and all made the playoffs. The Chargers were the team w/the dumb HC and they also had more than us.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: The Season - 08/28/22 02:43 PM
If we win 6 of our first 11 games I'll be shocked.

We look like a 5-12 team that could easily end up an 8-9 team by the end of the season.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: The Season - 08/28/22 02:43 PM
If I recall correctly, we were heavily penalized last year as well.

I don't know what the Browns do in practice besides take a bunch of mental reps and shoot hoops.

I literally have no idea what Stefanski's strengths are. If someone could list them I'd appreciate it.

Penalties happen to every team...but what I see way to much with us are stupid procedure penalties...all damn year long. Holding is kinda BS as it can be called - or not - at will. Facemasks are mostly accidental. Two guys in motion at the same time (illegal shift)? Procedure penalties with the WRs at the line or not at the line (illegal formation)? Lining up off-side (looking at the great Myles Garrett)? Jumping off-side on 3rd and 4 (looking at MG AGAIN)? Kickoff team penalties when the ball is blasted through the endzone? Too many men on the field - even later in the year? Blocking in the back on seemingly every kick/punt return?

Nevermind missed assignments on D or miscommunication on O...all damn year long.

Stars missing practice? The bicycle brigade? Starters not playing in the pre-season? That would be all fine-and-good if we look(ed) ready on Opening Day...which we haven't since...I dunno when.

According to my wife and daughter: Ski is one good-looking man. That's the one-and-only thing on my (meaning their) list. My list remains blank.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: The Season - 08/28/22 02:54 PM
Good point that some types of penalties are incidental and can even be BS - holding is so subjective. Myles gets held every 3rd play and hardly any are called and then when we have a crucial play the Refs seem to sometimes call some ticky tacky BS on our OL - was it Teller last year that got called on something and he went a little ballistic on the refs? ...

Also true that we seem to hurt ourselves with the procedural stuff more than most. I've always felt penalties overall are a reflection of coaching. Other than the winning record - it was the most glaring and obvious change the moment that Gregg Williams took over as interim HC. The winning record and the discipline were the 2 reasons I actually wanted to keep him as HC.

Hopefully it's a reflection of youth and come the season proper we will be better.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: The Season - 08/28/22 03:58 PM
This offense has no room for error or wasted possessions this season.
The only way it has a chance to put consistent pts on the board
Is to have a ball control offense. It can't get into a shootout
With better offenses like the Chargers and Bengals.
The defense is going to have to create alot of Turnovers
Even good QBs need short fields and good starting field position.
I didn't see 1 WR that stood out other than Wyms.
This offense is really lacking in dynamics
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Season - 08/28/22 05:15 PM
We don't see much period.

We don't see much of practice. Pre-season has been almost exclusively non-starters.

On defense we have not seen Myles and Clowney on the field at the same time.

I hear the term "camp cupcake" but have no idea how hard it has been or how verifiable that term is.

It would seem that more work gets done at scrimmages than pre-season. Lot of the players that have played in pre-season will not be on the team.

The NFLPA has limited practice as far full pads and contact.

"Padded practices may not be held on more than three consecutive calendar days, and such three-day practice periods may not be held more than three times during preseason training camp."

How much do we know? Probably not to much.

Until the first regular season game is played what we have seen so far most likely doesn't count for much.
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: The Season - 08/29/22 12:55 AM
""Padded practices may not be held on more than three consecutive calendar days, and such three-day practice periods may not be held more than three times during preseason training camp."

If you ask me, this is why there are so many injuries. Guys don't go full speed until the first game, then you have soft tissue issues and other injuries that just weren't as prevalent in the past
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Season - 08/29/22 10:56 AM
There is probably a lot of data on injuries that i am unaware of.

The NFLPA has done a lot over the years about limits on practices. Spring through camp.

It has gotten to the point where all the media coverage is not really informative.

I don't pay attention to much till the regular season begins. The big thing is get through camp without injury.

Today these athletes for the most have to stay in shape all year. The off season is recovery and rehab but still they maintain workouts.

Camp is no longer beat each other up like it use to be. It is about learning the installs and execution. They run the plays but full to the ground tackling does not happen that much. It is a long season practices are different.

It is not Browns camp cupcake. It is the rules for all teams.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Season - 08/29/22 01:35 PM
j/c: There has been some unwarranted criticism of Kevin Stefanski popping up on this board recently. One of the concerns has been his scheme. Here is an old article that analyzes Stefanski's scheme. It's done by Jake Burns, who I think does a better job of breaking down film than anyone in the business. I'll post the text, but it would be worth your while to see the photos, diagrams, and videos. One note----some of the videos are no longer available. This article is for those of you who like to be educated about the game of football w/out all the agenda crap.

Breaking Down the Kevin Stefanski Offense Part I: Wide Zone Run
by Jake Burns
Jan 16, 2020
(Photo: David Berding-USA TODAY Sports)

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Kevin Stefanski took over as the Vikings offensive coordinator in late 2018 upon the firing of John DeFilippo from the same role. The Vikings front office and coaching staff made it clear they weren't getting enough done in the run game to offset, and balance, Kirk Cousins. From the minute he took the role, the Vikings offense changed.

In Stefanski's first two games the Vikings ran for a total of 320 yards - by far their best two-week stretch in the 2018 season. They found the comfort they needed in honing their perimeter rushing attack to let Dalvin Cook become the important factor many knew he could be. The groundwork was laid for the 2019 season.

Then Gary Kubiak arrived and his presence helped Stefanski put his full plan in action.

Stefanski remembered watching Kubiak's offense with the Texans from 2006-2013 and loving the way he married the run and pass, and he mentioned this past year that when he finally got his chance to design and call his own offense, this was the way he wanted to do it.

Vikings coach Mike Zimmer mentioned just how important Kubiak's impression has been on Stefanski dating back years before the two worked together. "I just love Gary's demeanor and the way that he and Kevin [Stefanski] can communicate during the games and also during the week on game plans.” Zimmer continued, "For him to be able to come in and mentor a young coordinator was really important. To me, that’s about talking about your particular scheme and making sure that carries on in the future. I think that part was as important to me as anything.”

The duo worked into action what became one of the league's better offense despite some clear deficiencies up front. But how does it all work? Why is the scheme so quarterback and run game friendly? Well, it starts and ends with the wide (or outside) zone. Some call it a different name, but the teaching is pretty much the same.

Stefanski has been very vocal about his passion for the scheme and it manifested itself fully in 2019. The Vikings prep from day one of install all the way through weekly practices during the season. It was truly their bread and butter. The offense's identity.

Former NFL quarterback Sage Rosenfels played in the system and he noted just how important the scheme is to the offenses success.

“The outside zone [run] is what makes the whole thing happen,” Rosenfels said. “There’s what you call a ‘stretch’ play and as the linemen work down the line, they are trying to cut people off. Center and guard cutting people off as one of them works up to the linebacker. If you can get somebody out of a gap…there can be a big hole there if everyone else gets blocked. It’s about forcing defenses to stay in their gaps…so they have to play the run first. On top of that those plays create great movement from the defense laterally and it basically creates this wall and pass protection off of it…if the defense has all come into their gaps it creates these big spots down the field because everyone is so close to the line of scrimmage.”

The scheme puts pressure on all eleven defenders, and it does so with as much eye manipulation as you can find. The challenge is being able to establish it and run it the right way. The Vikings did just that and it helped result in over 2,000 team rushing yards.

So let's dig in on how the scheme works.

Responsibilities of the Offensive Line (and tight ends)

The outside zone concept is simple enough. When running the outside zone, rather than engage a defender at the snap, offensive linemen are taught to take a step to the play side. This allows them to achieve proper leverage, and, if possible, puts them in position to turn the defender back to the inside. If this proves impossible, the lineman (or tight end) should push their defender toward the play-side sideline.

The responsibilities of each individual lineman depend largely on whether or not they’re covered (a defensive linemen directly across from them, or close to it) at the snap of the ball. If they are covered, the offensive lineman’s job is straightforward – achieve proper leverage and block that defender. If they are not covered, the offensive lineman’s job is less straightforward – they must either help double team one of the defenders before disengaging and getting up to the second level of the defense, or they must go to the second level immediately.

The scheme does exactly what the name indicates: puts pressure on the defense laterally. Whereas the inside zone is about creating vertical movement, wide zone is all about moving laterally to outflank the defense and pin them inside or run them to the sideline letting your ball carrier's vision do the work.

Here's how the scheme is taught and instructed by coaches: Offensive linemen begin the play by stepping laterally to the play side and attempting to reach the outside shoulder of their designated defender. If the lineman is successful in getting to the outside shoulder, he pins the defender inside (rip). If the lineman has not reached the defender by the third step, he switches gears and looks to run the defender all the way to the sideline (run). Often times common sense of alignment tells a lineman he can't reach his defender so he works to create the wall and makes his work pushing the defender wide to create an alley.

The coaching points tend to be:

Short 45 degree lead step
Rip to run on second step by driving back shoulder through defender - this provides for a cutoff scenario
Get stomach up field on third step - this ensures the defender is cut-off from his gap responsibility.
(Photo: X&Olabs.com)

Here is some example play art of what the scheme looks like.

What you will see here is an excellent "rip" from right guard on the 3-technique defensive tackle, and an excellent "run" from right tackle on the box safety and the tight end on the 7-technique to create this massive void for the running back. Look at this alley.

When it hits correctly, it is a thing of beauty as you will see here.

Responsibilities of the Running Back

Just as important to the successful technique and teaching of the offensive line is the teaching and applied vision of the running back. With wide zone it takes a tremendous amount of patience and anticipation to feel where the defense is running and how the scheme is setting up in front of you.

On each rep of the scheme, the back has three read options: bounce, bang, or bend.

Let's look at all three with some examples from the 2019 Vikings.

Bounce Course

The bounce read means exactly how it sounds: bouncing the run outside. The goal of the play-side tackle, or tight end, is to hook the defender and then being able to bounce the ball outside for success. Rarely do these bounce paths hit home runs, but it is the easiest read for the running back and usually means cheap yards and first downs.

The Vikings were able to hit the perimeter plenty using wide zone in 2019 and this was in large part due to tackles who moved well and tight ends who cared about the quality of their blocking. The play-side tight end eats the defensive end’s crash and the full back leads to seal the edge. Cheap and easy yards.

Just enough seal from the in-line tight end to let the running back turn the corner and then the wing tight end helps hook the second level. Again, cheap and easy yards just using effective blocking and speed to turn the corner.

Bang Course

Now, defenses eventually get smart. They get annoyed with those easy outside run in their direction and they themselves start running laterally to push the aiming point and run the back to the sideline. The thought process is about turning the run back inside to the pursuit. The counter to this is running the bang course. The frontside defensive line and linebackers get zealous with poor pursuit down the line and you can make this scheme work beautifully.

The running back is deciding that the defense has taken away the bounce path to the frontside, and your line has decided to push the defense toward the sideline hoping to open up that frontside alley.

Cook, much like Nick Chubb, has that ability to make one cut and accelerate through alleys created in this scheme. When the backside cuts off, or runs their man by, the bang course can open up some big plays for the running game.

The tackle and tight end to the play-side use the wide leverage of the end and linebacker to push them outside. The right guard and center work to reach and wall off the 3-technique and MIKE linebacker. This is textbook blocking and big chunk play on the bang read.

The Vikings got sneaky good at running wide zone out the weakside of the formation under Stefanski last year. Watch here as they use the Saints tendency to slant strong side and it makes for and easy hook by the right guard on the crashing defensive end. Then the right tackle runs the WILL linebacker outside to open up the bang course for a big gain.

Bend Course

Lastly, we have the home run hitter. Defenses get so tired of being reach blocked and gashed, or watch so much film of the wide scheme that they determine they are going to be hyper-aggressive at the point of attack. They aim to beat the offensive line down the line to take away those gaps. When this happens, it has the propensity to open up the cutback, or bend course, that springs these plays out the backside of the run course.

The bend occurs when the first and second read are both stretching and running outside.

The Vikings hit some big plays when the bend course presented itself as more teams tried to push lateral on them. It takes a tremendous amount of discipline from the defense. Once Cook feels the Packers pushing four defenders to seal the edge, he bends it back inside and the tackle, all the way back on the right side, makes the key block. Then it's about open-field athleticism, something Cook and Chubb both have.

(Alex Rollins)
Watch Cook observe his two frontside lineman drive outside, then feel with patience his backside guard and tackle run by as well. He bends it all the way back off the opposite hash to spring this open for an 85-yard touchdown. The bend course takes elite vision and patience to set-up the blocks and explode out the opposite side of the initial run course.

They won't all be home runs on the bend, but it takes just one man missing or one extra downfield block to spring a big play. Cook reads the front side, including the backside guard, run the Lions defensive line outside and bends it back perfectly inside his tackle. The scheme works as it should and the only man who can make the play is the backside corner being aggressive chasing inside. He misses the tackle and it's a touchdown. This is also where you start noticing play-action shot opportunities with aggressive defensive backs playing run game near the box.

Final Thoughts

The wide zone scheme is taking over the NFL and for good reason. Although Stefanski is well-regarded as a leader-of-men and the type of analytically driven mind the Browns wanted, make no mistake they saw an ideal fit with this scheme. It played a key role in Stefanski getting the job, and his offensive success starts and ends with wide zone.

According to Pro Football Focus, the Vikings ran the most outside zone type concepts in the NFL (279 rushes) and were successful on 38.7 percent of the time – 13th in the NFL. The Browns ran similar concepts 181 times (5th most) and were successful 43.6 percent of the time – 6th best in the NFL. The good news: the Browns already have a feel for the scheme and they have the right running back to carry his offensive line within the scheme. They ran a good amount of the scheme from the gun, with some sprinkled in under-center, but they found success with the play. You can see the two different paths here.

What makes Chubb so special is his ability to see the second level almost a beat ahead. Like a gifted point guard in a sense. He confuses linebackers with his ability to press holes and then make those impactful one-cut moves that leave defenders guessing. The fit for the third-year back, who finished second in the league in rushing yards in 2019, is more than ideal.

The difference for the Vikings commitment to the scheme. Above all else, they made it their identity. Something their entire offense built from. It doesn't take a trained eye to notice the commitment from all eleven offensive players, how well-coached the timing and technique is across the line, and just how punishing the Vikings offense was when using their comfortable base play.

(Matt Bowen)
Something you will also notice in 2020 is an uptick in "12" personnel (one running back, two tight ends) and "21" personnel with a true full back (two running backs, one tight end) and even some "22" personnel (two running backs, two tight ends) on occasion. Pro Football Focus tells us the Vikings utilized a lead blocker the 4th most times in the NFL (150 rushes) and were successful 42.7 percent of the time (7th). The Browns utilized a lead blocker the 17th most in the NFL (64 rushes) and were successful 40.6 percent of the time (11th). Another marriage of something the Browns do well with a play-caller who will use it more often. A grand idea indeed.

The commitment also helped the offense build deception off the scheme. It was so drastic that it opened up several options off the scheme down to down. It did wonders for marrying their run/pass looks and helped Cousins find efficient success like never before in his career. They will hope it does the same for Baker Mayfield. More to come on that in Part II.

Don't just take my word for it, take Nick Ferguson's who played safety during the scheme's heavy use in the Broncos title run.

“I played against the scheme, I practiced against the scheme and I coached against the scheme, they give you different things to worry about,” Ferguson said. “They attack you on all three levels, they attack you horizontally and vertically. Watching the Cowboys game I was blown out of my mind how many ways they use Cook. They use him as a decoy, they use him in the screen game, they gave him toss plays. The idea is that they get everyone involved in the offense so you can’t key on one particular player.

“When they think they’ve figured out the run then you go play-pass and throw the ball down field. They give you so many personnel groupings and you think you’re getting the same play with the personnel grouping and they give you something else.”

Stefanski is close with the Quarterback Collective and that group of coaches is heavy on identity football. The likes of Mike and Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVay, Matt LaFleur, Rich Scangarello, and Mike McDaniel among others. Tweaks here and there, but the groups believe in similar principles and aligning their offense to their talent.

The scheme isn’t perfect, as no scheme truly is. It’s at its most successful level when used deceptively. Fall behind by large amounts like we saw from last week’s loss to the 49ers and that deadly deception is gone in predictable pass situations. It’s not the lone ingredient for a successful offense, but it plays a massive role, and that role can, and will, help win plenty of football games at the NFL level.

We won't know how the final product will end with this offense, and we obviously won't know what type of head coach Kevin Stefanski is for a long time into the future. There won't be any promises from me with his ability to lead the franchise as a whole. But I can promise the offense will be coached at a high-quality level, with more attention to detail, and for the first time in a while they will have a real identity.

**For even more detailed resources on the wide zone run play, follow this link to X&O’s Lab.**

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland...142274849/Amp/?__twitter_impression=true
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Season - 08/29/22 03:33 PM
Good read.

We will see the advanced version because we have been running it and we have the OL to do it well.

This will be an interesting year. I like the offense and believe in it. I also believe in Stefanski.

It will be a challenge this year with JB. There are things I am sure KS would like to do and can not with JB.

At the same time as I have mentioned before I believe Hunt and the TE's will be more active in touches. Hunt will be used more in the pass.

Chubb is killer in the wide zone. The scheme suits his best skills.

I am at peace with this season and look forward to seeing certain guys.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Season - 08/29/22 04:25 PM
I think we will use Hunt more in the passing game, too. I think the TEs will receive a lot of targets. I see a big year for Njoku.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: The Season - 08/29/22 04:29 PM
I think we will use Hunt more in the passing game, too. I think the TEs will receive a lot of targets. I see a big year for Njoku.
Njoku should should be getting 10 to 12 targets a game.
He is the only target that is a legit match-up problem for
Opposing DCs.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Season - 08/29/22 05:02 PM
I’ve seen places that assume Felton will be more of a WR than a RB (and I agree that’s the place to use him), but I’m also not sure he’s that much of an upgrade over other possibilities at WR.

I can’t get over the fact that we wouldn’t think Cole Beasley or Will Fuller are upgrades
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: The Season - 08/29/22 05:04 PM
We will see the advanced version because we have been running it and we have the OL to do it well.

I think the advanced version is what they had hoped to run. I don't think they have a QB capable of running the advanced version at this point in time. I believe it will be the run game combined with the short passing game with very little vertical game. You have to play the hand you're dealt.

Terry Pluto: "Brissett is not a guy who will lead a high-scoring offense. The Browns’ plan should be, 'Get an early lead, then run the ball...chew up the clock...no turnovers...make your field goals...play smart.'"

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/20...zvqw19qNw9hjbTErSaISYuIATW1iHDQBCB0YWpPc
Posted By: Rishuz Re: The Season - 08/29/22 05:43 PM
I have not read that article or watched the videos, but my concerns with Stefanski are not Xs and Os related. A head coach has to be so much more than an Xs and Os guy. Can he motivate his team? Can he outsmart the opposite sideline? Does he have a pulse on what the team needs and doesn't? Does he know when to press the gas and when to back off?

Those are all ambiguous things but leadership in a lot of ways is very ambiguous. The team needs a leader, not a play caller. Someone who is going to galvanize the team even when you are at a disadvantage.

Can someone point to a single game where you walked away saying to yourself that the Browns won because Stefanski out coached the other side? I can't think of a single time. As a matter of fact the best game under his regime he was in his basement.

He gets Brownie points for having an offense that some like and that he always stays calm. But I just don't get the feeling he's a guy that is going to rally a team.

The first four games this year will tell you all you need to know about him. They should be easy games. If he's a good coach he'll go 3-1.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: The Season - 08/29/22 05:51 PM
There is no one size fits all in terms of motivation. We have seen great coaches who are stoic, who are animated, who are emotional and who are stern. What so many wish to dismiss in their desire to blame Stefanski is that it's far more often a lack of execution than it is the call itself. As if when the players don't catch the ball, a player misses a tackle, a defender blows coverage etc..... somehow that's a Stefanski issue.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Season - 08/29/22 06:06 PM
You don't think he has managed the clock well? All coaches can be questioned on that, but he's done a very good job overall.

Does he hold players accountable? I'd say so. Hell, he kicked Wills off the field the other day for making boneheaded mistakes.

Was he in charge of basically the same roster that went 11-5 after going 6 and 10 the previous year?

Did he do a great job of keeping the team together during Covid? Remember, that was his first year and he somehow pulled it off.

Have guys talked about team unity and the positive vibes during TC?

Has he not been the one the owner and FO put in the eye of hurricane during all the distractions w/Watson? They showed up on the day of the signing and when the suspension was handed down, but otherwise, Stefanski has had to deal w/the media while breaking in three new qbs.

This team has had to deal w/a lot of distractions and Stefanski has never once wilted under the pressure.

We haven't even played a game this year and some media members and some fans are already trying to write his obituary. I think the criticism is misplaced and unfair.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Season - 08/29/22 06:19 PM
This is a good point from Vers about clock management. IMO that’s a strength of Stefanski and the staff in general. We are near the top of the NFL when it comes to it IMO
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: The Season - 08/29/22 06:19 PM
Have the concerns been his scheme, or the manner in which he is employing/utilizing it? There is quite a distinction to be made there.

We know the scheme itself is perfectly sound. It's nothing new or groundbreaking; it's quite proven... but, its effectiveness is determined by those implementing it.

Aside from that, I honestly don't know why people keep saying things like they expect to see something different or more grand than what we've already seen. We've seen this offense with great QB play and we've seen it with poor QB play. The run game has never been anything but consistent. The TE's are the TE's and same for the WR's. We're starting Year 3 of this offense for everyone but the QBs.... it pretty much is what it has always been and that's mostly going to be because the people controlling it are the same. It's their personality that shapes how the scheme is implemented, even when they are being a blind slave to what the numbers say to do on a given down & distance.
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Season - 08/29/22 06:30 PM
IMO there are no easy games especially when you are starting a backup quarterback.

Leadership in the NFL is putting players in the position to do well. Have a good scheme and show them how to execute that scheme.

Have good game plans that players can see and buy into. Win.

2020 had to be one of the most difficult seasons of all time. Covid was a nightmare to work around. Losing different starters every week. We played a game where we almost had no receivers.

Stefanski kept the team together and overcame a lot.

When I watch "Building the Browns" I like how he handles things. He seems like a guy you could respect.

No HC calls a perfect game because players are not perfect.

Posted By: FATE Re: The Season - 08/29/22 09:24 PM
This is a good point from Vers about clock management. IMO that’s a strength of Stefanski and the staff in general. We are near the top of the NFL when it comes to it IMO

Agree 100. Night and day from the past. I considered offering my services for free when Huey was in charge.

Stefanski has been nearly flawless. He has long crossed the bridge of understanding the math and progressed to something next-level...

Wish I could remember the game, pretty sure it was actually in 2020. May have been one of those games we almost lost after a big lead... Opponent had crossed into our territory. Stefanski burned a TO after a modest 1st down gain at just under 3:00. At first I was like, WTH?? After the team ran and failed on 2nd down I started nodding my head... After they did it again on third, I started clapping out load.

He used "clock management" as a psychological weapon to induce the other coach into doing what he wanted... or at least that's the way it seemed. We had the ball back and the lead with like 1:57 showing on the clock. Huey would have still been yelling for someone to bring him a calculator.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: The Season - 08/29/22 11:21 PM
I'd say his shoulder is healed and ready for contact

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: The Season - 08/29/22 11:24 PM
Wrong shoulder
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Season - 08/29/22 11:25 PM
Wrong thread.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: The Season - 08/30/22 12:40 AM
Getting nervous
Posted By: Hammer Re: The Season - 08/30/22 02:03 PM
Sweep the leg...
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Season - 09/01/22 06:42 PM
The time of predictions has come.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-for-every-nfl-team-ahead-of-2022-season

Not my bag predicting but I do have some ideas about some of these predictions.

Tampa. 12-5 . I don't think so. More like 9 or 10 wins. IMO. They lost key guys on the OL. As fast as Brady reads and gets rid of the ball. A rush up the middle is a problem for him. It comes fast and he can't get away. I also think for the first time Brady becomes human. Age hits not just the body but your will.

Raiders 9-8. I think more like 11 or 12. They have good players on offense and see them being better than 9 wins.

Bills 13-4. Really good team it would be a shock if this team does not win 13. Well coached. Great players at key positions. Top notch defense. Experienced and hungry.

Browns 8-9. Honestly, I really need see a game. I think the Browns defense could be really good despite DT weakness. I know the strength of the OL and run game. So, a great defense and a strong run game can win games. But I have to see Jacoby inside this offense.
Posted By: mac Re: The Season - 09/01/22 07:34 PM
Honestly, I really need see a game.

It really is hard to determine where the Browns are heading in terms of predicting an overall record.

Face it, the Browns pre season didn't tell us much because everyone within the organization was so worried that someone might get injured if our players played in the pre season...consequently many of our key players didn't play much.

The progress of the offense is usually behind the defense at the beginning of the season and given the Browns difficulties at QB, I expect less from the Browns offense than I might in a normal year.

Can Stefanski learn how to call a conservative offensive game that relies heavily on scoring FGs rather than touchdowns..?
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Season - 09/01/22 08:26 PM
No matter who is the quarterback. I do not think that coaches look to rely more on field goals.

Conservative can mean you may alter some kinds of aggressive throws down field. But the plan will be to score touchdowns.

I expect the offense to use more throws to the backs and TE's. That is the main reason Hunt was not going to get traded. It is also the reason they extended Njoku for high dollars.

Cooper IMO will work well with Jacoby. He is a real pro. He will be where he should be when he should be there. It has been reported they are working well together.

JB has experience. He should make plays he is comfortable with. Cooper should give him that comfort.

We can run it. I have no doubt about that. We should be able to keep the box open with seam throws to the TE's. And screens to the backs both inside and outside.

As long as we can keep the defenses honest with some passes downfield. We should be able to run an effective offense. Not explosive but efficient.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Season - 09/01/22 08:30 PM
I think we might line Hunt up in the slot on occasion or motion him out of the backfield and pass him the ball.
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Season - 09/01/22 08:59 PM
I agree.

I would not be surprised if we see some 2 back looks as well.

From what I have read Felton has been in the slot some. That makes sense. He has good short area quickness and he can catch the ball.

I like Kevin Stefanski. This is his third year. He had a tough year to begin his head coaching experience with covid. That had to be a challenge.

He knows these players now. The OL has experience in the scheme. Cooper is a big add.

I can not think of another secondary as talented and deep as the Browns. Really I don't think there is one. This camp there was heavy emphasis placed on take aways. If our defense can be near the top at that stat. We will do well.

My main concern is not receiver because of our backs and TE's. My main concern is DT. Bryan and Elliott should be ok but damn Togiai and Winfrey are not very good at all. Both need more time.

Overall we should be in the games we play. Lot of close games are decided by field goals. It looks like we got a guy.

Posted By: bugs Re: The Season - 09/02/22 03:16 AM
I think many get too hung up on who the receiver is rather than what schemes you can run with specific skill sets.

In my opinion, I think what Berry and Stefanski are trying to build is a very versatile offense. Creating an offense efficient enough to run 11-personnel, 12-personnel, and 21-personnel is the correct path to take. Bone and Vers make valid points on using Felton. Combining Felton with either Chubb or Hunt creates a strong 21-personnel scheme. In my opinion with Felton, you don't need to run Chubb and Hunt together. You can keep both fresh and still get versatility using Felton.

I can see why Berry and Stefanski are willing to spend the time to develop Schwartz. Having a receiver like Schwartz, and in my opinion, another receiver like Schwartz creates an offense that is hard to defend. With speed alone, it creates a match-up issue.

I like Cooper, but if you can give me two receivers with speed and can run go-routes and slants, I am all for it. Pay the OL and Watson specialize in the receivers, tight ends, and running backs.
© DawgTalkers.net