DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: cfrs15 Senior Bowl... - 01/25/10 08:53 PM
Today (1/25/10) is the first day of the Senior Bowl.

Here are the weigh in results.

Here are some of the guys I will be keeping an eye on throughout the week:

QB Tim Tebow, Florida
RB LaGarrette Blount, Oregon
WR Mardy Gilyard, Cincinnati
DE/OLB Jerry Hughes, TCU
G Mike Iupati, Idaho
RB Stafon Johnson, USC
QB Dan LeFevour, Central Michigan
S Taylor Mays, USC
WR/RB Dexter McCluster, Ole Miss
TE Anthony McCoy, USC
S Myron Rolle, Florida State
OLB O'Brien Schofield, Wisconsin
DE/OLB George Selvie, South Florida
CB Syd'Quan Thompson, Cal
CB Kyle Wilson, Boise State
T Sam Young, Notre Dame

Here are some good notes on the weigh-ins:

Impressions:

Florida quarterback Tim Tebow measured in at just under 6-3, but looked a bit leaner through his upper body at only 236 pounds. Tebow was listed on the Florida roster all season at 245 pounds, but he appears to be trying to lose some bulk through his chest and shoulders in order to increase flexibility.

If there’s one running back down here who looks the part it is Mississippi State’s Anthony Dixon. Dixon is a thick, well-built 245-pound back who possesses impressive bulk through his lower half and really seems to fill out his frame well.

Alabama nose tackle Terrence Cody tipped the scales at a whopping 370 pounds and looked every bit of it. Now, there is no denying the guy is tough to move inside, but there’s a lot of sloppy additional weight on his frame and he looks like a guy who could really be more effective playing in the 330-340 range.

On the other hand, Tennessee defensive tackle Dan Williams carries his 329 pounds very well and possesses one of the thickest bases I have ever seen. The guy has a massive bubble, really powerful-looking thighs and looks built to sit into his stance and overwhelm inside.

The winner of the 2010 Senior Bowl beauty contest was surprisingly Florida State safety Myron Rolle, who showcased by far the most chiseled body of the day. Rolle weighed in at a rocked-up 217 pounds, standing just over 6-1 and looks fully committed to making a big impression this week at the Senior Bowl.

However, the overall winner of the weigh-in was Idaho offensive lineman Mike Iupati, who measured in at 6-5 and carried his 325-pound frame extremely well. But, what was even more impressive were his 35-inch arms and 10 3/8 inch hands. Iupati made the biggest impression on me out of anyone down here today and I have a feeling he’s going to be one of the biggest winners down here this week.

Quick hits:

Oregon running back LeGarrette Blount appeared to be in very good shape, even at 245 pounds.

Cincinnati wide receiver Mardy Gilyard looked frail and undersized weighing in at only 179 pounds.

Another guy who seems to be on the verge of a really big week is Massachusetts offensive lineman Vladimir Ducasse. The guy definitely looked the part today at 6-4 5/8 and 326 pounds.

Finally, at nearly 6-8 and only 305 pounds, is it any wonder why Notre Dame offensive tackle Sam Young struggles to anchor on contact? He looked really thin through the lower half and has a frame that lacks bulk throughout.
Posted By: Ammo Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/25/10 09:00 PM
Timmy Tebow is going to impress people.

You'll see.
Posted By: AndraDavis4MVP Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/25/10 09:03 PM
You telling me Tebow is going to light it up at TE? Because he sure isnt going to impress anyone with his qb skills.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/25/10 09:04 PM
Please don't turn this into another Tim Tebow thread.

There are other guys at the Senior Bowl worth discussing.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/25/10 09:19 PM
Is the Barnes guy from B.G. there?

What about the D back from Toledo - can't think of his name off the top of my head.....
Posted By: kingodawg Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/25/10 09:21 PM
Quote:

What about the D back from Toledo - can't think of his name off the top of my head.....

Isnt it Temple?

KING
Posted By: cle23 Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/25/10 09:24 PM
Quote:

SS Barry Church?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/25/10 09:25 PM
Barnes played in the East/West Shrine game. He measured in a 6''1' and 212 lbs.

These are some of the notes I saw on him:

Quote:

Has the most impressive body of all the East wideouts. Possesses a thick lower half and good overall muscle definition through his legs. Doesn’t exhibit a second gear down the field but is a coordinated wideout who displays good body control as a route runner and adjusts well to throws away from his frame. Will struggle to beat press on the outside vs. more physical defensive backs but looks like a solid sub-package receiver in the Jason Avant mold.

Quote:

s Barnes someone who will consistently be beat man coverage on the outside and escape press vs. physical NFL corners? No, but he’s a well-built kid with good body control who does a great job gaining initial separation and plucking the football. He’s not a guy who will ever be a star in the league, but if you need a wideout who can come into a game as a sub-package receiver and move the sticks from the slot, Barnes is your man.

Quote:

We've talked all week about how slow, or how exposed in 1-on-1s Bowling Green WR Freddie Barnes has been, but in game settings or the two-minute drills he's been finding ways to get open. He's showing good instincts and catching the ball in traffic. Not sure if it's enough to overcome his physical weaknesses, but take him out of individual drills and look at him in game settings, you see how he was able to be as productive as he was in college.

Posted By: SteelHack Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/25/10 09:42 PM
Tebow will get his shot at QB at next level...he might not ever be as successful as he was in college as a QB...but no doubt he gets a chance.

HACK
Posted By: DeepThreat Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/25/10 10:00 PM
Early reports are Tebow throwing a lot of wobblers.
Posted By: AndraDavis4MVP Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/25/10 10:09 PM
Quote:

That made me laugh
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/25/10 10:34 PM
Of that list - I'm interested in Myron Rolle, Taylor Mays & the Wilson kid from Boise State.

I don't want anything in this draft until our secondary is shored up... we need playmakers back there.
Posted By: dong Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/25/10 10:35 PM
Quote:

You'll see.

having you bless a qb must be the kiss of death. remember quinn?
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/25/10 10:35 PM
He also wanted us to draft Troy Smith in the first round.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 12:26 AM
Quote:

No doubt he throws some of those.....but they are catchable.

In some ways, more catchable.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 12:51 AM
surprised no one mentioned mt. cody's weigh in.. an astonishing 370 lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 12:54 AM
Quote:

Quote:

SS Barry Church?

Yeah, I think that's him. Thanks.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 01:14 AM
Quote:

Wait what?

If wobblers were more catchable then wouldn't guys try to throw them.

I don't understand.
Posted By: Dawgpound017 Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 01:22 AM
Quote:

You'll see.

He sure as hell didn't today. They said he looked horrible.
Posted By: Dawgpound017 Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 01:24 AM
Tebow has rough first day at Senior Bowl
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 25, 2010 7:53 PM ET
Already tired of Favre Watch 2010? Then can I interest you in a little Tebow Watch?

We pass along reviews of Tebow's first day at Senior Bowl practice with the knowledge that the buildup to the NFL Draft will be a long one, with many ups and downs for Tebow. Monday was a downer.

Lindsay Soto on NFL Network: Tebow fumbled the first snap from center, then botched roughly 5-6 more during the day. Tebow is used to playing out of shotgun.

Christ Mortensen on Twitter: "First impression from NFL folks on Tebow at Senior Bowl -- it is indeed going to be a challenging process for him."

Stephen Holder of the St. Petersburg Times: "I'm on the sideline at the Senior Bowl practice and let's just say Tim Tebow is not exactly lighting it up. Horrible mechanics and accuracy."

Tebow will get a chance to rebound in the next three days of practice on NFL Network; the next two practices are in full pads.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/25/tebow-has-rough-first-day-at-senior-bowl/
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 01:30 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Wait what?

I don't understand.

I am not saying it is ideal, but a ball with a little more width and a little less zip in so far as spiral that can screw through you hands doesn't hurt anything.

We as Browns fans had had a few wobblers at QB....Graham, Sipe, Kosar. None of those guys threw a perfect spiral time after time like Namath or Jeurgensen.

The problem with scouts today is they are too much in to cookie cutter reports.

I say concentrate more on what the guy can do rather than look for what he doesn't do.

Any moron can identify what a player doesn't do.

One report I saw on Cody dsaid he weighed to much.........no friggen kidding???

Just think, that guy gets paid to tell me that.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 01:30 AM
Quote:

thanks for the update..

Where did you get that info..
Posted By: DeepThreat Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 03:47 AM
It's all over the place, and my company has several guys there. PFT has a report about it as well.

It sounds like his accuracy was bad, he fumbled a lot of snaps, his release was way too long, and his mechanics were awful. It sounds like his footwork was better than expected dropping back though.

And that's not bias, that's just what I've read.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 03:51 AM
Quote:

MOBILE, Ala. -- University of Florida star quarterback Tim Tebow was a dominant player at the college level, winning a national championship and a Heisman Trophy,

By all indications based on today's lackluster debut at the Senior Bowl, Tebow has a lot of work to do to make the adjustment to the NFL.

According to scouts and observers, Tebow didn't demonstrate sufficient arm strength or accuracy.

There was very little power evident in his throws, including the critical out pattern.

He also displayed fundamental mechanical issues that need to be addressed heading into the draft.

Tebow also fumbled his initial snap under center as well as several others during the opening practice for the South team. He's accustomed to operating out of the shotgun formation for the Gators.

In fairness, it was a tough day for several quarterbacks in this annual all-star game.

NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock told National Football Post that he gives credit to Tebow for showing up and facing the music rather than make NFL decision-makers wait months for him to display his wares at a controlled private workout environment.

National Football Post

Also some more quick hitters:

Quote:

MOBILE-The first full day of action at the 2010 Senior Bowl has come to a close. Both teams went through weigh-ins this morning and then took part in their first practice of the week later in the afternoon. NFP columnist Joe Fortenbaugh and I attended the North practice session today, as well as “Senior Bowl Media Night,” which took place at the USS Alabama battleship.

Here’s some of what’s been going down…

1. Clemson wideout Jacoby Ford was impressive today. He was explosive off the snap, ate up the cushion quickly and consistently separated all afternoon vs. man coverage. On a day in which the North quarterbacks struggled with their accuracy, Ford repeatedly found ways to make the tough catch. When we asked him after practice where he feels most comfortable playing at the next level, Ford responded, “Both ways [in the slot or outside] are fine with me. I just want to get out there and make plays.”

2. Due to the morning weigh-ins, Monday is the only day of the week in which both teams practice at the same time (but at different locations). Word on the street is that the South practice was loaded with fans and talent evaluators due to the presence of Florida quarterback Tim Tebow. He is definitely the hot ticket in Alabama this week.

3. We got an opportunity to speak with Oregon running back LeGarrette Blount after the North team’s practice. Blount was suspended for two months after the now-infamous incident at Boise State back in September. When we asked him about his disappointing senior season and whether or not he felt fortunate to be at the Senior Bowl, Blount replied, “I’m extremely thankful I’ve been given a second chance.” Blount looked impressive when asked to run downhill in I-formation sets today.

4. Several players, including Cincinnati quarterback Tony Pike and South Carolina linebacker Eric Norwood, turned out to be excellent interviews at Media Night (podcasts coming soon). But we were most impressed with Ole Miss running back/wide receiver Dexter McCluster. The speedster was extremely comfortable in the setting and is very grateful for the opportunity to showcase his talents in Mobile this week. If he wasn’t already, Fortenbaugh is now McCluster’s biggest fan.

5. Massachusetts offensive tackle Vladimir Ducasse looked good at the weigh-in today and showcased impressive range off the edge in pass protection at practice. He really generates good power on his punch and looks like a guy who could play four spots on the offensive line at the next level.

6. Since Tim Tebow was not present for Media Night (still not sure why), somebody had to step up as the most popular player in the room. That honor was bestowed upon former Florida State safety Myron Rolle, who took the last year off from football to study at Oxford University. Rolle had a microphone or recorder in his face from the start of the interview process until the end. This will be a big week for him.

7. The ACL injury to Wisconsin defensive lineman O’Brien Schofield was very unfortunate. We wish him a speedy recovery.

8. California cornerback Syd’Quan Thompson once again failed to impress me during practice on Monday. He looks uncomfortable in his backpedal, has a tendency to open up his hips too early and struggles to turn and run down the field.

Wes Bunting
Posted By: CaptainCheckdown Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 04:06 AM
I think that even though this weigh-in is just a preliminary deal and quickness in space remains to be seen, Iupati certainly needs to be getting even stronger consideration for RT right now. He has the longest arms at the Senior Bowl and massive hands. The guy is just a stud. I want him badly.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 04:09 AM
From what I've read/heard if he keeps performing the way he has been it won't be a reach at all to select him #7. Same goes for the O-Linemen out of UMass, Vladimir Ducasse.
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 04:11 AM
Quote:

surprised no one mentioned mt. cody's weigh in.. an astonishing 370 lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 04:18 AM
Dear God!!! He makes Andre Smith look like Calista Flockhart!
Posted By: ClayM57 Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 12:06 PM
The winning coach.....What was his name.......We should snatch him up, he looks like a he's gonna be a winner some day.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 12:26 PM
Quote:

It's all over the place, and my company has several guys there. PFT has a report about it as well.

Yeah, after I asked I went looking and found some stuff.. I guess he's fumbling snaps under center...
Posted By: Attack Dawg Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 01:52 PM
Quote:

Of that list - I'm interested in Myron Rolle, Taylor Mays & the Wilson kid from Boise State.

I don't want anything in this draft until our secondary is shored up... we need playmakers back there.

I'll let the Elbow crew try to assimilate all the stuff thats going to be exposing him,and the reality will set in about him..
Anway, there are some good corners/safeties in this draft and I'm curious about a few.
What to look for?
How fluid they are in their backpeddle,how they come out of it ,if they can turn and run..how they do in man coverage..etc..
Posted By: bigf00t Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 01:54 PM
7. The ACL injury to Wisconsin defensive lineman O’Brien Schofield was very unfortunate. We wish him a speedy recovery.

wrong time for injuries. He might be a guy to keep an i on though- in the shrine game they moved him to OLB and he held his own, had an interception.
Posted By: AndraDavis4MVP Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 02:02 PM
WOW! What a shocker! Tebow cant play under center, doesnt posess the necessary arm strength, cant read a defense, and has horrible mechanics! This is nothing new here, same thing scouts have been saying for the last 3 years! Why are people suprised by this? I think if he came in and played well would have been the suprising news.
Posted By: Ammo Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 02:04 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wait what?

I don't understand.

I am not saying it is ideal, but a ball with a little more width and a little less zip in so far as spiral that can screw through you hands doesn't hurt anything.

We as Browns fans had had a few wobblers at QB....Graham, Sipe, Kosar. None of those guys threw a perfect spiral time after time like Namath or Jeurgensen.

The problem with scouts today is they are too much in to cookie cutter reports.

I say concentrate more on what the guy can do rather than look for what he doesn't do.

Any moron can identify what a player doesn't do.

One report I saw on Cody dsaid he weighed to much.........no friggen kidding???

Just think, that guy gets paid to tell me that.

This.
Posted By: Frenchy Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 04:42 PM
However, the overall winner of the weigh-in was Idaho offensive lineman Mike Iupati, who measured in at 6-5 and carried his 325-pound frame extremely well. But, what was even more impressive were his 35-inch arms and 10 3/8 inch hands. Iupati made the biggest impression on me out of anyone down here today and I have a feeling he’s going to be one of the biggest winners down here this week.

Any chance he impresses enough to draft at #7? Just wandering, we would be down to only needing a RT, who we could get in the 3rd.
Posted By: AndraDavis4MVP Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 04:49 PM
That would be a lot of money tied up in first rd picks for the Oline. Not opposed to it, I love drafting o/d line every year, but its something to discuss.
Posted By: OverToad Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 05:36 PM
No surprise that Tebow is struggling. The only real surprise would have been if he actually looked good.

This reinforces the belief that he's got a long road to go. All the intangibles in the world won't help him try to tighten up his release, his mech......Hell......his entire game. But if a team like the Dolphins will take a chance on White in the 2nd round, then some other team could take a chance on Tebow that early as well. Of course the Pat White experiment was a failure this past season, so that could affect Tebow as well. I think he's fortunate that the Wildcat exists in the NFL. That's probably going to make him go a full two or even three rounds earlier than he would in previous generations of the league.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 05:41 PM
Been watching the North's Senior Bowl practice. Here's a couple things I've noticed.

- Kyle Wilson, corner from Boise State, has looked very good. Very physical, and pretty quick.

- Dan LeFevour, QB from Central Michigan, has been taking snaps really well. Shows good footwork from under center and more zip on his throws then I thought he did.

- Mike Iupati, offensive line from Idaho, will be the first offensive linemen drafted. Can play any O-Line position. Is murdering defensive linemen.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 05:42 PM
Quote:

I think he's fortunate that the Wildcat exists in the NFL. That's probably going to make him go a full two or even three rounds earlier than he would in previous generations of the league.

I agree.

Afterall, it is QBs like him that have caused the NFl to adapt, and will force them to adapt more.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 05:44 PM

Anyway, I forgot to mention Brandon Graham, DE/OLB from Michigan. He's burning everyone off the line.
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 05:57 PM
Quote:

Anyway, I forgot to mention Brandon Graham, DE/OLB from Michigan. He's burning everyone off the line.

From Walter Football . . .

Brandon Graham, Michigan
Height: 6-1. Weight: 263.
Projected 40 Time: 4.72.
Projected Round (2010): 2.

1/22/10: Brandon Graham finished his senior campaign with an amazing 25 TFL and 9.5 sacks.

11/14/09: A projected solid right end or 3-4 linebacker in the NFL, Brandon Graham has 17 TFL and 6.5 sacks in 2009.

5/18/09: Brandon Graham finished the 2008 season with 20 TFL and 10 sacks.

11/16/08: It should be interesting to see if Ben Graham can run a 4.6 at the combine. If he does, he'll definitely turn some heads. Through nine games, Graham has 15.5 TFL and nine sacks.

They have him listed as the #2 3-4 Rush Linebacker after Terry Hughes of TCU. Too bad Browns fans don't let Wolverines succeed in Cleveland . . .
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 06:31 PM
The state of Idaho is turning into a football factory.
Posted By: SteelHack Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 06:40 PM
Tyson Alualu tossed Iupati like a rag doll today when he was out at LT.

HACK
Posted By: AndraDavis4MVP Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 06:41 PM
Now that is something I would like to see!
Posted By: SteelHack Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 06:45 PM
Not sure if NFL.com will have these online....I felt like they did last year...but I dont remember....I have it DVR'd.....if it does not show up on the net in the next day...Ill see what I can do to get it online.

HACK
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 06:51 PM
Quote:

Tyson Alualu tossed Iupati like a rag doll today when he was out at LT.

HACK

I saw that. In time he may get it. For now they just wanted to see what he could do.

put him back in the phone booth and he is pretty stout.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 07:11 PM
You should all listen to Peen and Ammo Tim Tebow can do no wrong!!!

His pure will and determination will strike fear into opponenets hearts! I've also heard rumours of him being coached by the great Rex Grossman himself! His release is so amazing that if you blink 10-15 times you might miss it!
Posted By: DeepThreat Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 08:37 PM
I highly doubt that Iupati is the first lineman taken. Teams don't draft a guard or someone who has never played tackle before in the top 5.
Posted By: Ammo Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 09:08 PM
Tebow has strep throat. No wonder he's struggling.
Posted By: cle23 Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 09:10 PM
Quote:

Tebow has strep throat. No wonder he's struggling.

Strep throat doesn't affect fumbling snaps and your drops backs. It may take away some of his arm strength, but how much depends.

He is struggling because he is a system quarterback who has never played in a pro style offense and is now being thrust into one. He may be able to learn and correct his flaws, but I honestly doubt it considering how much he has to do and how little patience teams have.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 09:23 PM
Strep has nothing to do with anything - qb wise.

I WILL say this - for a guy that played shotgun his entire career - fumbling some snaps from under center is understandable, and VERY correctable. His fumbled snaps are of no concern to me, If I was a scout. Easily correctable.

Heck, in H.S. I was a backup qb......most of my snaps came w/ the 2nd string center. We had no problems. When I ran plays with the starting center, I had trouble - different feel to it. Took a bit to get comfortable with where the ball was going to hit my hands.

Tebow's problems with the snaps are nothing. No concern. (add in he's playing with a center he's never played with before, and bingo - combined with him not being used to taking ANY snaps - there's the problem)

Now, his throwing motion, his footwork, his accuracy - for all I know those may be big problems. But getting the snap from center is easily correctable.
Posted By: dong Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 09:27 PM
i'm very interested in what's going to happen with tebow but what i would say is we should all expect to hear about him struggling with handoffs and such at the beginning of practice. this shouldn't be news to anyone. what i really want to see is the progression he makes through this week, culminating in his performance in the game. if he's a gamer, with "it," and is an intelligent qb, i fully expect to see him improved in all facets of his weakness. he doesn't need to have a lights out game but he has to show enough improvement to give one team hope that he can continue in his development.
Posted By: AndraDavis4MVP Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 09:37 PM
Quote:

Heck, in H.S. I was a backup qb......most of my snaps came w/ the 2nd string center. We had no problems. When I ran plays with the starting center, I had trouble - different feel to it. Took a bit to get comfortable with where the ball was going to hit my hands.

Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 09:45 PM
Yeah, that's what i was saying.

Here's the long and short of it: If tebow has no accuracy, that's his fault. If his mechanics are terrible, that's his fault. If he can't make a simple hand off, that's his fault.

Not being able to take a snap from a brand new center he's never worked with, while at the same time getting used to taking snaps from under center? Easily fixed.

Go on about your glory days. I could think of a few songs myself.
Posted By: AndraDavis4MVP Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 09:49 PM
Hey I was just having a little fun. I didnt mean to offend you. We've all heard the back in my day blah blah blah, not saying thats what you were doing because you were using it as a reference point to illustrate your point, without telling us how many TDs and state titles you won.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 10:06 PM
You DID understand I was the backup qb, right? State titles? 0. Touchdowns as a qb? 0.

Touchdowns as a tight end/ split end? 9 my sr. year. And that means??????????? Nothing.

My point was about the qb getting the snap from center. If a "pro" like wailin edwards can get off saying "I can't catch the ball because different people throw it", then Tebow should get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to doing something he hasn't done before, especially when it's a center he's never in his life worked with before.

No more, no less. Like I said - if his footwork is bad, it's his fault. If his accuracy is bad, his fault. If his delivery takes too long - his fault.

He has trouble getting the snap? Big deal.. Easily correctable. That's all I was saying. (but if you check out the 1986 all state teams......I"m there bud. Not first team - but I'm there. As a split end - in case you doubt my "credentials", if that's what you want to call them )
Posted By: TopDawg16 Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 10:09 PM
Dude, he was messin' with you...
Posted By: kingodawg Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 10:09 PM
Just stirring the pot a little Arch but all the QBs are with a unfamiliar center,right? Any other of the QBs having this problem?

KING
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 10:16 PM
Quote:

Dude, he was messin' with you...

Yeah, I know.
Posted By: brownsfan2119 Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 10:18 PM
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 10:19 PM
Quote:

Just stirring the pot a little Arch but all the QBs are with a unfamiliar center,right? Any other of the QBs having this problem?

KING

Stir all you want - I am the farthest thing from a Tebow supporter/fan. All I'm saying is if he's having trouble with snaps under center, that is easy to fix.

As to my knowledge, the other 2 qb's on tebows team also came from predominantly shot gun settings, and I've not heard that they are having trouble with snaps.

Take it for what it is. I do. IF tebows biggest problem is handling snaps from under center, that can be fixed, easily.

IF he has other problems - who knows if they can be fixed. I sure don't.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 10:40 PM
Quote:

Strep throat doesn't affect fumbling snaps and your drops backs. It may take away some of his arm strength, but how much depends.

I'm not on the Tebow bandwagon but the symptoms of strep throat are severe sore throat, fever which can cause weakness, painful swallowing.. if you don't think that will affect your overall strength, sharpness, focus and concentration in everything that he's trying to do, then you are fooling yourselves...

To say that having strep shouldn't affect his ability to play QB is just silly...
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 10:50 PM
Tebow looked alright today. Way better than yesterday.

Jeff Byers and Dexter McCluster both looked good.

Taylor Mays looked stiff.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 10:54 PM
North Practice Notes - Day 2 (other practices can be found pretty easily from that link as well).

http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2010practice2.php

Quote:

By Matt McGuire
Jan. 27, 2010
Send Matt an e-mail here: mmcguire5@gmail.com
All other e-mail, including advertising and link proposals, send to: wpc112@gmail.com

Today was another gorgeous day in Mobile. I'm loving this weather and very thankful we don't have too much wind, cold temperatures and rain. The Draft gods are certainly looking out for us this. Let's get to the report:

One player who didn't impress me that much today was UMass offensive lineman Vladimir Ducasse. He didn't look like the most fluid athlete and he struggled with his lateral movement in 1v1's. Tyson Alualu stunned him with a rip move then later got under his pads on a bull a little too much for my liking. The scouts and coaches want to see how the small-school guys step up to the big competition and Ducasse isn't living up to the hype at the moment after a great weigh-in.

TCU linebacker Daryl Washington had another great day of practice. He's very athletic with great range and was all over the field on 11v11's. The problem is I think he lacks some versatility as a WILL linebacker only, but can also be a very good producer on special teams early in his career.

Yesterday's MVP, Boise State corner Kyle Wilson, has really stepped up to the plate this week. He is turning and running with receivers, and is very physical with his jam at the line of scrimmage. I have a hard time seeing him go in the first round, but he's solidifying a second-round grade this week.

One player who really impressed me today was Wake Forest's Brandon Ghee. Clemson's Jacoby Ford is the fastest receiver here (sub 4.40 time) and Ghee was step for step with Ford on a go route and had a beautiful pass break-up. These are the same plays I saw on tape. Ghee didn't see many balls thrown his way this past year at Wake Forest, but when given the chance, he made some plays in Tuesday's practice.

Wisconsin tight end Garrett Graham really struggles getting off the jam at 234 pounds. I talked to a couple draftniks who are seriously concerned with his frame. Graham showed good hands at the practice, but he looks like a late-rounder.

Illinois' Mike Hoomanawanui had the block of the day that got the Lions tight ends coach very hyped on the field and drew a gasp from the crowd. He's a very physical player with excellent strength, and I think he would be a great fit for teams like Carolina and Cincinnati that love blocking tight ends.

The receiver who showed some inconsistencies today was Cincinnati's Mardy Gilyard. He struggled to locate the football times and avoided contact. On tape I see he's scared to go over the middle and with his frame (179 pounds) he needs to prove that he plays bigger than he is. Draftniks seem to be torn on him - you love Gilyard or hate him. I personally don't like him very much.

Notre Dame safety Kyle McCarthy will struggle to get drafted in the first five rounds. I love his vocal leadership on the field and toughness, but he really struggles to eliminate space and lacks some serious speed.

From the little I saw of Rutgers' corner Devin McCourty today I was quite impressed. He's starting to win me over, and the thing I like about him is his intriguing, under-the-radar skill set. McCourty is a jack-of-all-trades, master of none but he finds ways to make plays, and receivers have a tough time fooling him when they get out of their breaks.

Idaho's Mike Iupati was very physical in 11v11's, but in 1v1's he was simply on the ground too much for my liking. He'll overextend and play top heavy, but the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced there's no way the Cowboys pass up on him in the first round. He's a prototypical guard for their system. Iupati manhandled Purdue defensive tackle Mike Neal a couple times and made it look easy - and Neal is an impressive specimen.

My favorite defensive tackle here so far is easily Penn State's Jared Odrick. He is very consistent, doesn't take many plays off, and has the best hands of any defensive lineman here. Odrick is very active and I think he can put on another 15 pounds without losing much speed.

Cincinnati's Tony Pike had another poor outing. His accuracy was shaky and he threw a ball that was one of the ugliest passes I've ever seen out of a college quarterback. He put out too much good tape for me to take this week too seriously, but second round is now out of the question because he lacks some serious bulk as a stick figure which will turn a lot of teams off.

Another defensive tackle who is impressing is Louisiana Tech's D'Anthony Smith. He has been playing with some power and nice quickness, and I was really impressed with his build at the weigh-in.

My most favorite coach on the Lions staff is without a doubt is defensive line coach Kris Kocurek. He's giving a lot of good pointers technique-wise, and I love his backwards hat and fiery demeanor.

Michigan's Brandon Graham had a very nice practice today and this is his environment. At the Combine he won't blow your socks off, but when the pads are on, he stands out. Graham is very physical and has some good short area quickness. He made Utah's Zane Beadles eat dirt on a nasty spin move that had the sidelines crowing.

Murray State defensive end Austin Lane made some impressive plays in 11v11's. In pursuit, he showed a good motor and got himself involved. He measured in at a legit 6-6 and he has room to add on some muscle. He's a sleeper to watch out for in the draft process.

One of my favorite tight ends in the 2010 NFL Draft is Oregon's Ed Dickson. He's an average in-line blocker, but he has great ball skills, and showed good athleticism and body control in going up and catching a pass a couple feet over his head on a seam route.

Missouri linebacker Sean Weatherspoon is making me forget about his average senior season. I've been told he has a very outgoing personality, but on the football field his instincts come to life and he is quick to diagnose and react. A big game in the Senior Bowl could guarantee he comes off the board in the top 50 picks.

Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 11:07 PM
Quote:

Quote:

I'm not on the Tebow bandwagon but the symptoms of strep throat are severe sore throat, fever which can cause weakness, painful swallowing.. if you don't think that will affect your overall strength, sharpness, focus and concentration in everything that he's trying to do, then you are fooling yourselves...

To say that having strep shouldn't affect his ability to play QB is just silly...

I disagree.

Yes, strep would be another thing to over come............but come on - strep as an excuse?????? Sorry DC - doesn't fly for me.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 11:09 PM
I was listening to Siruis at lunch. They RAVED about Graham and what he's showing. They also were mentioning that Iupati was the best OL on the North team, and he apparently is getting some time at LT. Interesting...

They said a couple positive things about Anthony Dixon (RB, Miss St) and raved about Jarrett Brown (QB, WVU) and how he was performing. Not too much else about specific players other than Tebow, but that's been talked about in this thread already.

Unrelated, but I check out Scott Wright's site NFLDraftCountdown - he had the following player/team observations. I don't know exactly what that means, but I suspect that the Browns have had converstions/interviews with the guys they have listed. http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/SeniorBowl/reports/Observations/Monday.php
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 11:24 PM
Quote:

Taylor Mays looked stiff.

Was Erin Andrews doing interviews?
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/26/10 11:58 PM
is Warren (CB, Mich) playing in the senior bowl? I assume no since I haven't seen anything on him.

(assuming Suh and Berry are gone), I am supporting drafting Haden in our slot....but I really wouldn't mind trading down to draft Warren and then using our extra pick to get Graham (or a RT and get Graham with our 2nd).

as much as I hate Michigan....Graham and Warren both look like keepers and I would like to see them wearing the Brown and Orange.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/27/10 12:01 AM
Quote:

Quote:

I agree, but what can you say???

I say it again....Tebow will be a SB, MVP....as a QB.

The "experts" complaining around here are just tired of the guy, and I can understand that.....but he did have a good day today.

So what, he fumbled a snap yesterday.....answer me this candy....assuming he can't take a snap....and why couldn't he with a little work....a bunch of bums could....why would you even have him do it if he couldn't???

Face it, your just chapped he beat your team.

Keep on, it doesn't matter to me if he makes it in the pros unless we take him....that would be fun since we might win, but I won't digress.

Bottom line is you and a few others just don't like the guy...why I'll never know, but then I suppose the same holds for me, you'll never know.

But again, I would take him and we would win.

I will guarantee you this, he's better than anything we have on our team at the QB position foe or for the last 20 years..
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/27/10 12:05 AM
could he be the next donovan mcnabb?
Posted By: brownsfan2119 Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/27/10 12:18 AM
Quote:

is Warren (CB, Mich) playing in the senior bowl? I assume no since I haven't seen anything on him.

No, he left school early, not a senior.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/27/10 12:46 AM
Quote:

And that's bad???

I think he can be as good or better.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/27/10 12:56 AM
Quote:

So what, he fumbled a snap yesterday.....answer me this candy....assuming he can't take a snap....and why couldn't he with a little work....a bunch of bums could....why would you even have him do it if he couldn't???

Face it, your just chapped he beat your team.

Keep on, it doesn't matter to me if he makes it in the pros unless we take him....that would be fun since we might win, but I won't digress.

Bottom line is you and a few others just don't like the guy...why I'll never know, but then I suppose the same holds for me, you'll never know.

No Peen, you are such a homer that it's made you beyond blind. You will never admit how bad you are. He will be another Rex Grossman I'm sorry. So I'm done having this debate with you. Tebow will NEVER BE A GOOD NFL QB!!
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/27/10 01:10 AM
Quote:

Quote:

And that's bad???

I think he can be as good or better.

Calm down... That was a compliment..

I wouldn't mind it if the Browns drafted Tebow.
Posted By: Ammo Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/27/10 01:20 AM
Quote:

No Peen, you are such a homer that it's made you beyond blind. You will never admit how bad you are. He will be another Rex Grossman I'm sorry. So I'm done having this debate with you. Tebow will NEVER BE A GOOD NFL QB!!

Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/27/10 02:06 AM
Quote:

You will never admit how bad you are

Upon reflection, I was pretty bad a jigzaw puzzles. Not so much because I couldn't figure them out. I just found it boring. Other than that, I have been from pretty good to great at most else.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/27/10 02:57 AM
Someone please... toss up a Glory Days youtube vid.
Posted By: crazyotto55 Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/27/10 12:37 PM
Quote:

The "experts" complaining around here are just tired of the guy

Not an expert but I am tired of hearing about Tebow.

And you are the biggest Tebow homer this side of his mother. I'm sure the kid will have a reasonably successful NFL career. But a Super Bowl MVP? As I recall we heard the same thing from Diam about Quinn......

We know how that turned out.........
Posted By: Attack Dawg Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/27/10 01:59 PM
One player who really impressed me today was Wake Forest's Brandon Ghee

Yes he's on my board....

Michigan's Brandon Graham had a very nice practice today and this is his environment. At the Combine he won't blow your socks off, but when the pads are on, he stands out. Graham is very physical and has some good short area quickness. He made Utah's Zane Beadles eat dirt on a nasty spin move that had the sidelines crowing.

Ughhh..I like him but if he continues to show out,someone else will snatch him up quickly.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/27/10 02:05 PM
Just clicking:

Found this article,, thought it fit in here:

Quote:

Tim Tebow rebounds on second day at Senior Bowl, but questions remain about his NFL stock
01:39 AMYahoo! BuzzShare
DiggNewsvineRedditE-mailSavePrintShare01 Comments

Recommend On a day when his agent acknowledged that Tim Tebow was hospitalized for strep throat, the former Florida QB took a step forward in practices at the Senior Bowl on Tuesday.

Tebow, who struggled in Monday workouts working under center after operating primarily out of the shotgun in college, said he adjusted despite dealing with a 103-degree temperature.

"I mean, just getting used to things just a little bit more and feeling a little more comfortable," Tebow said, via the Gainesville Sun. "I felt it was a good day. I'm excited how things were."

Off the field, Tebow has been defending his decision to appear in a Super Bowl ad for Focus on the Family. On the field, he's been drawing mixed reviews from NFL talent evaluators:

Said one unnamed personnel executive to CBSSports.com's Mike Freeman: "Great kid but some of the worst mechanics and accuracy I've seen on a big-time QB prospect."

And, addressing Tebow's lackluster performance on Monday an unnamed scout said to NFLDraftScout.com: "Nothing he's going to do here is going to change the impression he's made the past four years."

Many analysts have said that the former Heisman Trophy winner's pedigree as a winner with the Gators will help him. Former Redskins coach Jim Zorn told NFLDraftScout.com he sees positives signs in Tebow:

"(Tebow is) highly competitive. I think he's going to be available to all 32 teams, I think, and everybody's really going to scrutinize - the one thing everybody is going to talk about is his release. It's a little elongated and things like that, but he's got all the intangibles, all the things needed. You just have to decide how that's going to look for your football team.

"I haven't been able to put a real evaluation on him. I think it would be unfair for me to give an opinion. Sometimes, at this present time, opinions are labels. Like I said, 'Elongated release.' All of a sudden, 'Uh-oh.' But those things can be coached. All of these players have to be coached. That's what we're for. Not to make them into machines or robots, but to get them to be more efficient. The thing that you can't coach in him is right in his heart (Zorn was patting his chest as he said it). That's a big issue."

-- Sean Leahy

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/...his-nfl-stock/1
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/27/10 04:03 PM
thank you....for some reason, i thought Warren was a senior.
Posted By: Dawgpound017 Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/27/10 04:39 PM
Who the hell is hospitalized for strep throat? Seriously.

Is that his people's way of saying, "I sucked on Monday because I was sick and ended up in the hospital?"
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/27/10 04:48 PM
Quote:

Is that his people's way of saying, "I sucked on Monday because I was sick and ended up in the hospital?"

I think he went to the hospital,, not sure he was admitted or stayed very long..

He was back out on the field on Tuesday and it's reported that he performed much better..

I don't care what anyone says about this,, if you got a 103 degree Fever, then you WILL BE weaker through out your entire body.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/27/10 05:16 PM
Quote:

Probably to be checked and have some fluids administered.

What's with the chip on the shoulder??
Posted By: candyman92 Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/27/10 06:57 PM
Quote:

Quote:

You and Peen would probabaly draft Tebow over Ndamukong Suh
Posted By: AndraDavis4MVP Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/27/10 07:04 PM
McShay on ESPN this morning said that Tebow was 3 yrs away from playing/helping a team. He is that far behind its almost like taking a HS kid.
Posted By: moon Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/27/10 07:14 PM
Peen...legit question. I am still pondering what I think about the kid. How fast is he? What do you think he will run at the combine/pro days?
Posted By: clwb419 Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/27/10 08:16 PM
I've seen 4.55 to 4.65 on different sites, but not sure if that is real or an estimate. Regardless, its pretty darn fast for a QB, fast for a TE and about avg for RB (not including speed backs)
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/27/10 08:20 PM
Interview with Mike Iupati:

Quote:

MOBILE, Ala. – In popular NFL parlance, Idaho offensive guard Mike Iupati is a beast.

Already regarded as the top pure offensive guard prospect in the draft, Iupati has vaulted himself into first round status with a strong showing at the Senior Bowl this week.

At 6-foot-6, 325 pounds with long arms (35 inches) and impressive mobility, Iupati has lined up at both offensive guard spots as well as left tackle.

Despite playing against a lower level of competition in college, Iupati has been up to the task at practice this week. He’s a mauler with good feet and burgeoning technique.

NFL scouts are projecting him anywhere from the middle to the later portion of the first round.

Besides his initial quickness at the line of scrimmage, he controls defensive linemen with his strong base.

And the consensus All-American is building a reputation for having a nasty streak.

Former Baltimore Ravens and Cleveland Browns scout Daniel Jeremiah weighed in on Iupati this week.

“Most likely Pro Bowler if you took a poll of scouts at the Senior Bowl,” Jeremiah stated. “Rare size, strength and quickness. Sticks out like a sore thumb.”

National Football Post conducted the following interview today with Iupati:

How do you expect to do with the physical testing at the NFL scouting combine?

Iupati: “Yes, the athleticism, the speed. I’m pretty quick for a big guy. I want to run a 5.0 flat. I got a little bit stronger. I should be able to do 30 to 35 reps.”

What’s your confidence level like right now?

Iupati: “Yes, my mentality is confidence. I come here and concentrate. Even if I get beat, you know what; I’m going to go again. I’m not afraid of getting beat, but I just hate getting beat. I just come back and do it again better.”

How much better is the competition you’re facing here this week than what you saw at Idaho?

Iupati: “They’re top-notch. It’s crazy. You’re going against the best of the best. It makes me better. I came here with a confident mentality. I’m as good as anyone. I was blessed to go to Idaho. I don’t worry about what school someone went to. I just compete.”

What kind of feedback are you getting from the Detroit Lions staff that’s coaching the North squad this week?

Iupati: “They talked to my offensive line coach and they said they would love for me to play for their offensive line. I’m getting a lot of good feedback. I need to keep doing what I’m doing and stay humble.”

How did you wind up at Idaho?

Iupati: “I was a non-qualifier out of high school. Idaho saw me at a barbecue function at a JC and they went and talked to my head coach and offered me a Prop 48 deal.”

Is this your ideal playing weight?

Iupati: “I lost weight. I played heavy before. I’m a lot faster and quicker now. I lost weight since my first year of playing. I was about 345. I’m 325 to 330 now.”

Why did your family move to the United States from American Samoa?

Iupati: “Better chance for a better education. We didn’t have sports I was in junior high school or a chance to showcase our ability. We learned to compete and we’re very competitive.

“I’m a very competitive person. Football was a way for me to get distracted from gang life and other distractions. It’s a big key for me. I was a very good defensive player but I got moved to offense.”

What do the NFL teams ask you about during the interviews?

Iupati: “Just how good I know the game of football, what’s my knowledge of football. How do I learn and stuff and my language barrier. I think I picked it up very well. Most offenses run the same schemes, just different variations. My freshman year in college, I tried to learn the rules of the game I take it all very well.”

Where does your aggressiveness come from?

Iupati: “It’s something you’ve got to be very physical to be a competitor. You got to be physical to win the game, to be dominant. You got to come there and use your big body and be aggressive with it.”
Do you feel like you intimidate defensive linemen?

Iupati: “With my big size, some people get intimidated. Some other big guys are just big and they don’t care. With me after the game they’ll say wow, and congratulate me.”

Do you feel like you’re helping your stock?

Iupati: “Yes, by working with different positions and trying to get a feel for it at the next level you have to be versatile. I have to let them know I can play.”

Do you expect to go in the first round?

Iupati: “Yes, that’s my goal, but it don’t matter. Everything is a blessing for me.”

What did you want to accomplish at this game?

Iupati: “The reason why I took this offer to come play in the bowl game is to let them know I live up to the expectations that they rate me highly. I wanted to come here and showcase my athleticism and ability and let them know I am worthy to be the No. 1 guard or whatever."

What sets you apart?

Iupati: “My personality. I’m very humble. In the game, I turn it on. When it comes to football, I’m very laid back off the field.”

National Football Post
Posted By: DeepThreat Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/27/10 08:32 PM
Gee, I wonder who else has said that?
Posted By: cle23 Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/27/10 08:41 PM
Quote:

Gee, I wonder who else has said that?

I whole bunch of people have. A lot of people see how many flaws he has and realize that it takes some time to fix those flaws, if they can be fixed.
Posted By: OoooRahJoice Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/27/10 08:46 PM
Quote:

Call it a wasted pick at 7, I don't care -- these are the kinds of guys you build real football teams with.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/27/10 08:48 PM
I agree. The guy can play four different line positions well. Imagine him on the right and Joe Thomas on the left. Or him in between Joe Thomas and Alex Mack. Pretty crazy.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/27/10 08:48 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Call it a wasted pick at 7, I don't care -- these are the kinds of guys you build real football teams with.

not a wasted pick, just too much $$$ for a OG.

now, if we trade down to say pick #21 and draft him while picking up other picks and useful players....

no wait, people on here will whine anyway when it takes him a couple games to get up to NFL speed.
Posted By: OoooRahJoice Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/27/10 08:51 PM
All well and good, but that's risky (moving around). This is the kind of kid that's not gonna "break the bank." In the long run, he'll be worth it.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/27/10 09:03 PM
From what I've heard/read he can play right tackle.
Posted By: mac Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/27/10 09:40 PM
Quote:

From what I've heard/read he can play right tackle.

Iupati, Thompson impressing scouts ahead of Senior Bowl

By Bucky Brooks | NFL.com

MOBILE, Ala. -- The second day of Under Armour Senior Bowl practice typically brings about better play, as the players begin to shake off the anxiety of performing in front of a host of general managers, scouts and coaches.

Although most evaluators are willing dismiss some of the miscues from the first day, it is important for prospects to step up their game and display the skills that earned them a Senior Bowl invitation.

While most of the attention has been focused on the up-and-down performance of Tim Tebow, there are plenty of other NFL hopefuls who have had their moments throughout the first few practices in Mobile.

Let’s take a look at a few players who have created a buzz in scouting circles for their performance after two days of workouts:

Stock up

Mike Iupati, G, Idaho
The mammoth interior blocker has earned rave reviews for his sensational play throughout the North’s practice sessions. Iupati has absolutely dominated defenders at the point of attack, and his ability to routinely put elite players on the ground is indicative of his supremacy. Furthermore, the former Vandal has shown outstanding footwork and movement skills to complement his impressive combination of strength and power. With Iupati showing off a dazzling blend of skills, some scouts have projected him as a right tackle.

Syd’Quan Thompson, CB, California
The Bears' star has created quite a stir with his exceptional play during the North’s practice sessions. Thompson’s combination of cover skills and toughness is rare, and he started to evoke memories of Antoine Winfield at the position. While some scouts are still concerned about his size deficiency, Thompson’s knack for making plays on the ball and delivering punishing hits during drills has him creeping up draft boards across the league.

Sean Weatherspoon, LB, Missouri
The loquacious headhunter has opened eyes within the scouting community for his solid play in the middle. Weatherspoon has surprised some with his aggressive nature and his ability to play physical against blockers. Though he will need to prove that he can be a hammer against the run in game action, Weatherspoon has undoubtedly improved his stature among a solid group of linebackers at the Senior Bowl with his forceful play.

Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee
Williams has continued to ride the momentum from his solid senior season to push himself into first-round consideration. The Vols' star is adept at creating penetration up the gut, and his ability to chase down backs from the backside disrupts the flow of the running game. With Williams flashing dominant ability at the point of attack, it is not a surprise that his stock is shooting up the charts in the eyes of evaluators.

Anthony Dixon, RB, Mississippi State
The former Bulldog has quietly impressed scouts looking for a bruiser at the running back position. Dixon's imposing stature complements a hard-nosed running style that makes him a feared runner between the tackles. Although he lacks the speed or receiving skills to be used as "three-down" player, his gritty demeanor and running style make him a coveted prospect for teams favoring power football.

Stock down

Taylor Mays, S, USC
The most impressive physical specimen on the field has underwhelmed scouts with his play this week. Mays has struggled staying with receivers in drills, and his outstanding measurables haven’t translated into smooth or fluid movements in coverage. While he has shown up occasionally as a hitter against the run, Mays' inability to get around the ball consistently has drawn red flags from scouts expecting to see a "can’t miss" talent at the safety position.

Javier Arenas, CB, Alabama
The diminutive corner has been a slight disappointment to some due to his lack of top-end speed. Arenas’ difficulty running with speed receivers has led some scouts to peg him solely as a "nickel corner." While his exceptional return skills still make him a valued prospect, his perceived inability to project as a starting corner will lead him to slide down many draft boards.

web page
Posted By: kingodawg Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/27/10 09:53 PM
Mike Iupati, G, Idaho
The mammoth interior blocker has earned rave reviews for his sensational play throughout the North’s practice sessions. Iupati has absolutely dominated defenders at the point of attack, and his ability to routinely put elite players on the ground is indicative of his supremacy. Furthermore, the former Vandal has shown outstanding footwork and movement skills to complement his impressive combination of strength and power. With Iupati showing off a dazzling blend of skills, some scouts have projected him as a right tackle.

So where is he projected right now? I want this guy.

KING
Posted By: DeepThreat Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/27/10 10:33 PM
Hard to say; I'd say 1st round for sure, but I think he could go top 15.

Sounds like he struggled at tackle, but dominated at guard.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/27/10 11:02 PM
If he can play tackle, and all signs say that he can, then he can be a top 10 pick.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/27/10 11:06 PM
Quote:

Peen...legit question. I am still pondering what I think about the kid. How fast is he? What do you think he will run at the combine/pro days?

Who knows??

It says 4.6-4.7...sounds about right. He is pretty fast for a guy his size, but speed isn't his thing....he's a qb......now ask me if he can run people over....yes, he can.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/27/10 11:09 PM
Quote:

McShay on ESPN this morning said that Tebow was 3 yrs away from playing/helping a team. He is that far behind its almost like taking a HS kid.

And you believe that???

No matter his shortcomings, he wouldn't be like selecting a HS player.

Be real.

I understand the guy needs work ......if you are going to make him something else. Take him for what he is and what he does, he's everything you want.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/27/10 11:17 PM
Quote:

Mike Iupati, G, Idaho

So where is he projected right now? I want this guy.

KING

I like him as well.

I have never had a hang-up drafting interior players and just been hung up on tackles.

I don't know if he will play NFL tackle or not, but he will play guard at a pro bowl level.....and what's wrong with that??....I have asked that question a few times over the years and never received a good answer in return. It's usually you don't select guards that high and are better off waiting for later rounds.....not a good answer IMO.

I might not take him at 7.....but if we managed to trade down, I would start thinking about him at 12 or so.

It's hard for people to say you reached when you select a future all-pro.

You know....if we took him at 7 I wouldn't complain, just for that reason.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/27/10 11:34 PM
This is getting a little bit ridiculous.

I've seen homerism. And then there is this.

I want to make it clear, Tim Tebow has a chance to be a successful QB in the NFL. His hard-work, character, and athletic abilities will give him a chance. But to guarantee a guy's success in the NFL is ludicrous. And then say that Tebow will change the way NFL football is played? I bet.

If Tim Tebow lost his left arm in an accident not only would Ballpeen still guarantee his success in the NFL. But he would guarantee that Tebow would still change the way the game is played because teams would want one-armed QB's.

You love Tim Tebow and he is one of the greatest college QB/players ever. We understand. But to guarantee he will change the way offense is played in the NFL? Stop it. Please. I'm begging you.
Posted By: DeepThreat Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/27/10 11:39 PM
I would start thinking about Iupati around 10, but not as a tackle. Like you, I have never understood the hangup on drafting guards high. I bet a lot of teams wished they had jumped on Steve Hutchinson before the Seahawks.
Posted By: cle23 Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/27/10 11:52 PM
Quote:

Quote:

And you believe that???

Be real.

I understand the guy needs work ......if you are going to make him something else. Take him for what he is and what he does, he's everything you want.

I agree that he wouldn't be like taking a HS player, but he wouldn't be everything you wanted either. Far from it.

Tebow has a pretty decent arm, but his delivery takes forever, and his accuracy is questionable at best. Also, we have no idea if he can read an NFL defense. He wasn't required to read a college defense very often and knew where the ball was going before the snap a majority of the time.

Tebow is a great athlete, and a good football player, but it remains to be seen if he can develop into a good to great quarterback. If he does, it is going to take a ton of work on his part and the part of the coaches who draft him.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/28/10 12:06 AM
Quote:

I would start thinking about Iupati around 10, but not as a tackle. Like you, I have never understood the hangup on drafting guards high. I bet a lot of teams wished they had jumped on Steve Hutchinson before the Seahawks.

10-12....we agree. I just picked a number. It's not like I have a big board on the wall next to me, adjusting names on a hourly basis.

I have said many times I think up the middle pass protection is more important that outside protection, as long as the outside guy, if they are going to fudge, fudge to the inside.

Most QB's can adjust to outside pressure if their tackles can maintain a inside position by stepping up a step or two. The all of a sudden the tackle isn't beat anymore and is in ideal position.

If your front 3 continually break down and get pushed back or allow a breakaway, the QB is pretty much going to get creamed.

Give me great guards and a center with avg tackles over great tackles with avg interior guys any day of the week.

JMO
Posted By: DeepThreat Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/28/10 12:13 AM
I don't know that I'm willing to go quite that far. Left tackle is far and away the most important line position. After that, it's probably center, right tackle, left guard, and then right guard.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/28/10 12:27 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And you believe that???

Be real.

I agree that he wouldn't be like taking a HS player, but he wouldn't be everything you wanted either. Far from it.

Tebow has a pretty decent arm, but his delivery takes forever, and his accuracy is questionable at best. Also, we have no idea if he can read an NFL defense. He wasn't required to read a college defense very often and knew where the ball was going before the snap a majority of the time.

Tebow is a great athlete, and a good football player, but it remains to be seen if he can develop into a good to great quarterback. If he does, it is going to take a ton of work on his part and the part of the coaches who draft him.

I am not saying he is everything you want as a dropback QB.

I agree. He isn't.

I am saying play him for what he is and then, he is

I also disagree with the accuracy bit.

If you are going to say he is inaccurate having completed like 65% of his college throws, then you have to say almost every other qb who comes out is inaccurate.

Half of Tebows throws weren't spectacular, diving, one handed, over the shoulder catches.

he puts the ball where it needs to be.

Just a FYI.....he isn't inaccurate.

Yep, he drops his arm and the delivery is slow, you haven't heard me say otherwise, other than I think that is a bit over rated and not as big a problem as some think.......but inaccurate???

No. No truth in that statement.

Also....not read a defense??? Wrong. A spread option QB has to read the D every play. The whole O is based on reads.

This guy does this, you do that.

it's not like there was one run option or one pass option on every play.....there were 3-4.

Ponder this..he may have known where to deliver the ball, seemingly locked on because he saw it in his pre-snap read.

Quit trying to make it sound like he was some reject who when a play was called called was told where to throw.

You guys clearly don't understand the o and the reads it takes.

Once the ball is snapped, Peyton Manning has a pretty clear idea of where the ball is going based on his pre snap read..so is that locking on??

Peyton does a good job of looking off....a learned trait....some can, some can't.....you don't know if Tebow will be able to do that or not.

Neither do I, but I am not betting against it like so many seem to be.
Posted By: DeepThreat Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/28/10 12:32 AM
Making reads in the spread is not even close to making reads in an NFL offense. They aren't even close to being alike.

According to all reports, his accuracy has been awful in the Senior Bowl practices. And Quinn also completed over 60% of his college passes, but has he looked anything close to accurate? Don't use those useless stats.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/28/10 01:17 AM
Quote:

Making reads in the spread is not even close to making reads in an NFL offense. They aren't even close to being alike.

According to all reports, his accuracy has been awful in the Senior Bowl practices. And Quinn also completed over 60% of his college passes, but has he looked anything close to accurate? Don't use those useless stats.

I have seen reports he is looking good.

I agree, the stats don't always tell the tale. So if I don't use those, what should I use other than my eyes, a crystal ball??

I have seen him play half a dozen times or more, as a season ticket holder.

I am not trying to be the homer here, but there seems to be a bias against the guy.....almost a morbid sense of wanting to see him fail, so if I am a bit defensive, I offer my apology.

I just don't get it, to be honest.

I agree, if you are looking for a classic NFL dropback QB....he sucks.

The problem with scouts is they are so accustomed to the cookie cutter, that half the time can't see the forest from the trees when a guy like this rolls around..much the way they missed it with Montana....(not trying to make that comparison other than scouts tend to pump out very similar reports....standing out from the crowd isn't a popular thing in that profession)

Bottom line, I think they are wrong.

Tebow is everything you want in a QB.
Posted By: GraffZ06 Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/28/10 01:24 AM
NRTU

Per Scott Wright's Senior Bowl write-up @ Draft Countdown here is an updated list of the players we have met with and had "team observations".

Monday :
Taylor Mays - S - USC
Anthony Dixon - RB - Mississippi St
Jimmy Graham - TE - Miami FL
Zac Robinson - QB - Oklahoma St
Shay Hodge - WR - Ole Miss
Harry Coleman - S - LSU

Tuesday :
Zane Beadles - OG - Utah
Leigh Tiffin - K - Alabama
Mike Windt - LS - Cincinnati
Sam Young - OT - Notre Dame
Vladimir Ducasse - OT - Massachusetts
Ted Larsen - OC - N Carolina St
Cameron Sheffield - OLB - Troy
Jeff Byers - OG - USC
Geno Atkins - DT - Georgia

Some of Wright's reviews of the above players so far this week:

"Another guy I was really looking forward to seeing in person was Massachusetts OT Vlad Ducasse but I came away less than impressed. Early on I felt Ducasse looked a little heavy-footed in drills. Later he was easily beat by Brandon Graham on an inside move while playing left tackle and when he got some reps at guard D’Anthony Smith got the best of him on back-to-back reps. Ducasse appears to be the type who can dominate once he gets his hands on you and based on this practice I’d say there is a good chance his pro future will be inside at guard."

"Utah’s Zane Beadles, who saw action at center, guard and tackle, did not have a good day. At the outset I was actually pretty impressed by Beadels nimble feet and agility but that all changed once the defensive linemen came over. At times it looked as though Beadles was on roller skates as he repeatedly got pushed backwards and he was also caught lunging."

"Oklahoma State QB Zac Robinson was the most impressive quarterback on the South team today. Robinson struggled with the deep ball but his intermediate throws were sharp and accurate with tight spirals."

Sounds like a possible mid round, WCO QB possibility?

"Ole Miss WR Shay Hodge dropped one ball early but overall he had a strong showing. Hodge displayed the ability to snatch the ball out of the air away from his body and also went down to make a nice catch in 7-on-7’s."

Possession WCO type WR?

"The best way to describe Mississippi State RB Anthony Dixon is "A Bruiser"."

Sounds like the type of big RB we'd love to see as a compliment to Harrison/Davis.

"Physically USC S Taylor Mays is a man amongst boys. It’s shocking how much bigger he is compared to the other defensive backs. He truly does look like a linebacker out on the field. Mays drew a reaction from the crowd when he basically ran right through Andre Roberts on a play in the deep middle."

Would much prefer Eric Berry but considering our need at S we could do much worse than Mays.

"Alabama K Leigh Tiffin missed a couple of very easy kicks near the end of practice but quickly turned it around."

"The most impressive performance that I saw all day was turned in by Georgia DT Geno Atkins, who was basically unblockable. Atkins only weighed in at 286 pounds and that is a concern but there are also positives that come along with that lack of bulk. Atkins is extremely quick, firing off the snap, getting skinny through the line, splitting the double-team and exploding into the backfield. Atkins was absolutely blowing by offensive linemen and he could be a perfect fit as a three-technique in a 4-3 scheme at the next level."

"USC S Taylor Mays often gets criticized for not making enough big plays in the secondary but based on what I saw today his hands can’t be blamed for the lack of interceptions. Mays is a tad stiff and tends to rise out of his backpedal while transitioning but he appeared to have soft, natural hands."

"L.S.U. S Harry Coleman is very active around the line of scrimmage and at one point there was a big collision between him and Roy Upchurch in the hole."

"Miami (FL) TE Jimmy Graham showcased his leaping ability and ball skills today, although he will still drop some easy passes. One real positive in regards to Graham is that he seems to be eager to learn and is taking coaching well."

A TE project for Mangini to coach up?

Link
Posted By: DeepThreat Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/28/10 01:26 AM
I haven't seen any reports that he is looking good. I have seen reports that he hasn't been as awful as he was Monday, but that's it.

Tebow has said that he's gonna be a pocket passer. He won't be, but he claims that's what he wants to be.

I have no bias against Tebow. But I don't think he is anywhere near up to snuff as a passer. If given the time, he can be a good player. I compare it to Vince Young. At first VY simply wasn't good throwing the ball. And his running ability wasn't strong enough to make him a good player. But now, 3 years later, his passing has improved enough to the point where he can win on a good team.

I think Tebow may be the same way. But I don't think he will ever be at th etop of the league.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/28/10 01:28 AM
Zac Robinson would be our Seneca Wallace
Posted By: GraffZ06 Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/28/10 01:29 AM
Any thoughts on your Georgia boy Geno Atkins?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/28/10 01:39 AM
Quote:

I am not trying to be the homer here, but there seems to be a bias against the guy.....almost a morbid sense of wanting to see him fail, so if I am a bit defensive, I offer my apology.

From who? Definitely not the NFL Network. All they have talked about during their Senior Bowl coverage is how great of a guy Tim Tebow is. Fans? Not really, the Senior Bowl has sold more tickets to practice than ever before. From people on message boards? No, not really. Most people aren't rooting for him to fail, they just don't think he has what it takes to succeed as an NFL QB.

Quote:

The problem with scouts is they are so accustomed to the cookie cutter, that half the time can't see the forest from the trees when a guy like this rolls around..much the way they missed it with Montana....(not trying to make that comparison other than scouts tend to pump out very similar reports....standing out from the crowd isn't a popular thing in that profession)

Alex Smith ran the same offense as Tebow did in the NFL. He went #1 overall. Vince Young ran the spread, he went #3 overall. No QB ever was like Mike Vick coming out of college, he went #1 overall. Sam Bradford runs the spread, he has the same questions marks as Tebow when it comes to running a pro style offense. He is considered one of the top two QB's in the draft.

NFL scouts got outside of the box all the time, especially when it comes to QB's. Everyone knows about Tebow's great character, leadership, and physical abilities. People are just aren't sure if his physical abilities translate to being a successful NFL QB.

Quote:

Bottom line, I think they are wrong.

At least you didn't guarantee it.

Quote:

Tebow is everything you want in a QB.

No he's not. This is fact.

He's never run a pro style offense. I want that. His release is slow. I don't want that. He has issues with his accuracy at times. I don't want that.

No QB coming into the NFL has everything you want in a QB.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/28/10 01:40 AM
Quote:

I am not trying to be the homer here, but there seems to be a bias against the guy.....

I'm sorry Peen but that is BS. You just keep saying the same stuff over and over again. I've stated why I don't think Tebow will be a good pro. You also refuse to listen to the guys on here or even the people who get PAID TO EVALUATE GUYS!! You say it's because "he beat my buckeyes!" You constantly try to take cheap shots like at me. I got over that a long time ago. I'm not like Muni who tried to make excuses. Also if winning, heart and determination makes you a great pro then why is Tyler Hansbrough not dominating the NBA right now? I understand it's completely different sports but they are very similar. Great leaders, passionate, dominated college, but the big flaw they both have is they won't translate well into the pros. I said I wouldn't have this debate with you again but that statement made me bust out laughing.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/28/10 02:54 AM
Quote:

I think he is overrated.. if any of the Georgia lineman were brought to the browns... I would prefer Kade Weston. His size is perfect.. 6'5.. 320 lbs.. He would be another reason to get rid of Rogers (not necessary), but Weston would help fill in for the old Smith and Coleman.
Posted By: GraffZ06 Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/28/10 03:18 AM
Sounds like he's getting raving reviews. I honestly don't know much about him other than what I've read in the last week. Unfortunately for us (at 286 lbs) he just doesn't have the size to be a 3-4 DE...and that seems too big to be a 3-4 OLB. He seems destined to end up in a 4-3 somewhere (as was stated in the original comment) but he must at least be on our radar since we sat him down.

I wonder if we think he can shed some pounds and play LB for us or if we think he can beef up and put his hand down?

On another note I'm loving the sound of RB - Anthony Dixon.
6'1 235 with a 4.60 forty. Big bruising runner. Terrific size and bulk --- Strong and powerful --- Nice balance --- Quick with a burst --- Shows some wiggle in the hole --- Can handle a heavy workload --- Adequate pass catcher --- Effective blocker --- Tough and will play through pain --- Productive --- Has a lot of quality experience.

Sounds like a perfect mid-round fit for us.
Posted By: GraffZ06 Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/28/10 03:26 AM
We took a look at four more guys today:

Kurt Coleman - S - Ohio St
Thomas Welch - OT - Vanderbilt
Cam Thomas - DT - North Carolina
Riley Cooper - WR - Florida
Posted By: wojo_dew Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/28/10 03:33 AM
I'm a Shay Hodge pimp....calling it now...the dude's going to have a productive NFL career...
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/28/10 01:17 PM
Aside from St. Tebow, they were talking up these 2 on Mike & Mike this morning. Supposedly looking really good . . .

Myron Rolle, SS, Florida State
Height: 6-1. Weight: 217.
Projected 40 Time: 4.56.
Projected Round (2010): 5-6.
Left Florida State to become a road scholar. SMART kid. But apparently he's shaken off the rust real quick and looks more like a 3rd or 4th rounder instead of a 5th or 6th.

and one of my Bobcat brethren . . .

Taylor Price, WR, Ohio University
Height: 6-0. Weight: 198.
Projected 40 Time: 4.38.
Projected Round (2010): 6-7
Have been hoping we might land him in the 6th or 7th. Apparently he may be going higher now.

And I'll go ahead and state that I'm officially on the Anthony Dixon bandwagon. I would like to think we're confident that James Davis can be the other, bigger back and we won't need to take a RB, but who really knows what we have in him. I'm really curious to see what Heckert thought of Davis going into the last draft.
Posted By: Attack Dawg Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/28/10 02:05 PM
I want no part of Mays and the talk is he could moved to be a specality LB..well if he can't cover(lack of instincts) the Browns don't need a project LB..goodness..just draft a natural safety..can't waste picks..

"Oklahoma State QB Zac Robinson was the most impressive quarterback on the South team today. Robinson struggled with the deep ball but his intermediate throws were sharp and accurate with tight spirals."

Again ,don't need a QB who struggles doing things that effect sustained drives..

"The best way to describe Mississippi State RB Anthony Dixon is "A Bruiser"."

Heckert better be looking for a RB .. U guys can keep arguing about Elbow..and I'll keep chuckling..
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/28/10 02:22 PM
Quote:

Quote:

I think he is overrated.. if any of the Georgia lineman were brought to the browns... I would prefer Kade Weston. His size is perfect.. 6'5.. 320 lbs.. He would be another reason to get rid of Rogers (not necessary), but Weston would help fill in for the old Smith and Coleman.

I've read that Jeff Owens is getting quite a bit of props.
Posted By: moon Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/28/10 02:56 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Who knows??

It says 4.6-4.7...sounds about right. He is pretty fast for a guy his size, but speed isn't his thing....he's a qb......now ask me if he can run people over....yes, he can.

That's the thing....do you want your QB "running over people"? I don't see his as a wildcat QB at all, I know it wont be popular but the guy is just not fast enough to press the edge (which is what the wildcat is build for). So I think he is an everydown NFL QB or Bust....

What does he bring to the table as a QB? Becuase the running over or people is not going to help him....I am all for innovaion and i belive you that he game is changing and will continue to change, however teams are not giong to start carring short yardage QB's.

So I ask you agian what do you think he brings to the table at a QB? How does he move the chains on 3rd and 5? Is he fast enough to threat the run/scramble in that situation?

I see top end Steve Young. Or he could be a bigger version of Eric Crouch.
Posted By: AndraDavis4MVP Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/28/10 03:17 PM
Not to mention he would be running over defensive lineman in the pros like he did in college. He'll just end up getting hurt.
Posted By: moon Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/28/10 03:41 PM
Quote:

Myron Rolle, SS, Florida State
Height: 6-1. Weight: 217.
Projected 40 Time: 4.56.
Projected Round (2010): 5-6.
Left Florida State to become a road scholar. SMART kid. But apparently he's shaken off the rust real quick and looks more like a 3rd or 4th rounder instead of a 5th or 6th.

If Rolle lasts until the 4th I would sprint and dive head first....Sliding into the podium knocking down people/decorations to get my card up there with his name on it. I bet he continues to rise and is a 2nd rounder when it's all said and down. Shame too...I was hoping to steal him late.
Posted By: OverToad Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/28/10 06:00 PM
Quote:

That's the thing....do you want your QB "running over people"? I don't see his as a wildcat QB at all, I know it wont be popular but the guy is just not fast enough to press the edge (which is what the wildcat is build for). So I think he is an everydown NFL QB or Bust....

I disagree. I think Tebow will make a fantastic Wildcat QB, one that actually does bring the pass-threat into the equation, unlike some of these other guys like Josh Cribbs.

Furthermore, Cribbs is no burner but runs the wildcat effectively. Why? Because the Wildcat in many instances isn't so much about "pressing the edge" as it is winning the numbers game. Unlike a conventional handoff, where a QB is a waste person once the ball is out of his hands, some plays in the wildcat allow the RB's to instantly become blockers. Many of Cribbs' runs weren't outside, but rather off-tackle. It worked because once they picked a side of the field to run towards the numbers favored the offense.

Even if Tebow runs a 4.8 he's plenty fast enough to run the wildcat. Unlike a true RB who needs speed to be elusive and hit "homeruns," a guy like Tebow running the 'Cat isn't asked to break one off for 40 yards. The team would be perfectly content getting 6 or 7 while setting up the threat of a pass at some point.

I don't like Tebow as a traditional QB. I disagree with 'Peen with the belief that the spread as it's run in college is coming to the NFL. However, short of Mike Vick, Tebow is the prototypical guy to run the 'Cat at this level. In fact, he's probably more prototypical than Vick because he has years of experience running play-action with all the read-options he's run in his career.

So what does that mean to some teams? Absolutely nothing because they don't run the 'Cat. It also means nothing for the Browns as we probably aren't that interested in spending a mid-level pick on a gadget just to upgrade the passing part of our version of the 'Cat when we only run it 5 times a game. But for some team looking to add the option while holding out hope he can turn into a traditional QB, yeah, he'll go earlier than he would have ten years ago.

I like Tebow for the things he can do, but for the thing which would be his primary goal, no thanks.
Posted By: moon Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/28/10 08:00 PM
I guess we need a Tebow thread. The guy is very interesting.

I knew that saying he was not a cat Qb would not be popular, but I still don't think he is. You say the cat is designed off tackle that is very true but off tackle is very much pressing the edge. I just don't think he is fast enough/athletic enough (it is more than speed) he just does not have the hips and accelration to threaten a defense as a wildcat runner. His throwing would be an advatage he would have over say Cribbs (who I think they should let throw more...but that is a whole other conversation). I think as a runner his best quality is being physical which, is simpy not something that is going to happen in the NFL.

I don't know if I am sold on him as a QB or not. I love his work ethic and do believe he will develop, but I am unsure of how his running ability can get him out of trouble at the next level...I mean big ben is very powerful and he can use his power to elude and then has the arm to make throws late. Can Tebow be similar?

I was interested in seeing what Peen thought was the skills that would make him a SB MVP? I have not seen him enough.
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/28/10 08:12 PM
Quote:

I guess we need a Tebow thread.

We have one in every single thread involving the draft or QBs. I think it might be being discussed in the State of the Union thread by now.
Posted By: kingodawg Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/28/10 08:22 PM
Quote:

I was interested in seeing what Peen thought was the skills that would make him a SB MVP? I have not seen him enough.

This is not meant as a shot at Peen at all,he loves his Gators and I respect and understand that but I think he is letting his heart stand in the way of reason. I like Tebow a lot,and actually would like to have him as a Brown, but not in the top 3 rounds and not as our everydown franchise QB.

KING
Posted By: Cleveland_clutch Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/28/10 08:40 PM
Quote:

"Physically USC S Taylor Mays is a man amongst boys. It’s shocking how much bigger he is compared to the other defensive backs. He truly does look like a linebacker out on the field. Mays drew a reaction from the crowd when he basically ran right through Andre Roberts on a play in the deep middle."

Would much prefer Eric Berry but considering our need at S we could do much worse than Mays.

I've actually seen some mocks where Earl Thomas and Nate Allen get drafted before Taylor Mays and have Mays slipping into the the second round. I personally think the scouts making them mocks are stoned but I can't say it would completely shock me. If the guy is as stiff and has been consistently been getting beat I wonder if his stock could actually fall that far. I mean look at Maualuga, he was a top ten pick early in the year and ended up falling pretty far.

If Mays would by some chance fall to the second round we definately gotta grab the guy. I'm not even going to begin to think about what a draft with Haden in the first and Mays in the second would be like because it surely won't happen. But man oh man I would be drooling.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/28/10 08:43 PM
I liked Mays a ton last year....watching him this year, he definitely had a bad year, but there is still a lot of raw ability there.

Mays range seems to be in the 20-50 range right now (late 1st to mid 2nd), so there is a decent chance we could nab him with our 2nd pick. Considering all that raw ability and our need for a S, it would not be a bad pick (even if he has coverage issues, we could use him as a monster-back and give Rob Ryan another toy to use in his blitz packages while helping against the run).
Posted By: RememberMuni Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/28/10 08:50 PM
Quote:

If Rolle lasts until the 4th I would sprint and dive head first....Sliding into the podium knocking down people/decorations to get my card up there with his name on it.

I love it
Posted By: Cleveland_clutch Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/28/10 09:06 PM
I agree, if we draft Haden and he ends up being the shutdown guy he's supposed to be and our pass rush improves a bit more than it already did the last half of the year Mays could be a stud if given the chance to roam a bit. That being said the only way I take Mays is if we get Haden in the first.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/29/10 12:15 AM
Quote:

Quote:

This is not meant as a shot at Peen at all,he loves his Gators and I respect and understand that but I think he is letting his heart stand in the way of reason. I like Tebow a lot,and actually would like to have him as a Brown, but not in the top 3 rounds and not as our everydown franchise QB.

KING

I have honestly considered that. I have always said I don't fall in love with players, and I don't.

I honestly think the guy can be a great NFL QB, because I honestly think the NFL is evolving as we type.

You are seeing more and more of the "cat", "spread", whatever you want to call it, and I honestly think it is only going to grow in the coming years.

I see it simply from a numbers perspective when I make the statements I do. I am simply not just shooting from the hip or just flapping my lips.

In high schools all across the country the cat, spread, whatever, is the O that is run. College team after college team is adopting it as either the standard O or a option that gets lot's of play. Look at OSU and Michigan. The old Big 10, 3 yards and a cloud of dust land is adopting it to various degrees.

I don't think you are going to find many 'classic' drop back QBs in the future..... and not all that far away.

So, that leaves NFL teams trying to find fewer and fewer prospects, or do something else.

We are already seeing something else from the teams that don't have a classic drop back passer....

I agree....if you are rating Tebow as a classic drop back passer, I agree, he probably isn't going to be very good, or a guy who will be a project and a half.

However, if you open your minds for even 30 seconds and ponder what I said, then all of a sudden he is looking a whole lot better.

As Toad said, he brings a legit chance at passing the ball, and as he said, the goal when running the guy isn't 70 yard break aways, just like when Alstott was handed the ball the Bucs weren't expecting 70 yard scampers. Take your 4-5 yards, move the chains and keep on plugging.

I know I am asking a lot to think out of the box, but sooner or later you will.....numbers are going to dictate that. The league is already short of good QBs. Teams will adapt if they don't have a Manning type player.

I have heard the arguments that you don't change a O for one guy...well, teams change their O every time a new coach shows up.....why not when a new QB shows up???

If you want to win you will.

There is no doubt in my mind that if Tebow is put in to a situation where he can play his game, he will be a SB MVP.
Posted By: wojo_dew Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/29/10 01:21 AM
I think it's still a passers league and Tebow's weakness is passing....Yes, they are running spreads, but the emphasis is creating mismatches on the outside and letting the QB make the quick, accurate, smart throw....

Can Tebow do it?....he did it in college where the competition was often much much worse. When he ran up against solid defenses, he was mediocre as a passing QB (good as a fullback QB).

Indy - Great pocket/throwing QB
Minnesota - Great pocket/throwing QB
San Diego - Great pocket/throwing QB
New Orleans - Great pocket/throwing QB
Green Bay - Great pocket/throwing QB
Arizona - Great pocket/throwing QB
New England - Great pocket/throwing QB
NY Jets - Up-and-coming pocket/throwing QB
Baltimore - Up-and-coming pocket/throwing QB
Atlanta - Up-and-coming pocket/throwing QB
NY Giants - Good-to-great pocket/throwing QB
Philly - Good-to-great pocket/throwing QB
Pittsburgh - Great pocket/throwing QB
Houston - Up-and-coming pocket/throwing QB
Cinci - Good-to-great pocket/throwing QB

I listed these teams b/c they are the ones that will consistently be going for playoffs and/or championships for the foreseeable future...

Spread or not spread, the common denomator is that they can all sling the rock.....And do it consistently from the pocket with an above average arm or supreme accuracy. Is that Tebow?
Posted By: OverToad Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/29/10 01:49 AM
NRTU.

I just saw some of the clips from the practices and WOW does Tebow's release look even slower than it did in the Youtube vid's I posted.

He throws the football like an outfielder playing long-toss......
Posted By: RoosteR Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/29/10 02:10 AM
Is there any way you see him fall to the third round? That is the only way I could see us picking him up.

How many 3rds do we have?
Maybe trade back into the mid to late 2nd.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/29/10 02:16 AM
Some team will take him in the 1st.
Posted By: moon Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/29/10 02:29 AM
Quote:

I have honestly considered that. I have always said I don't fall in love with players, and I don't.

I know you have, I feel the same way about McCoy. I am not going to pimp him all offseason because I fell like I have been blinded by watching the kid play for the last four years. You seem so sold on Tebow that is why I wanted to hear you thoughts on how he can move the ball consistently at the next level.

Quote:

However, if you open your minds for even 30 seconds and ponder what I said, then all of a sudden he is looking a whole lot better.

I am very open minded in this matter. In fact I agree with you that the league is changing, I am just not sold on wholesale changes...I think it continues to happen with personnel packages.

Quote:

n high schools all across the country the cat, spread, whatever, is the O that is run. College team after college team is adopting it as either the standard O or a option that gets lot's of play.

This way of thinking just does not stand up when you talk NFL. It's been happening for years. Single Wing...Wishbone....Wing T...Slot T...Veer....Spread...and now Spread Veer. The high school and college game is not the same as the NFL. I don't know why, but very few high schools zone block and drop back and protect the passer, it is very hard to teach and it takes a bunch of time and talent (something few high college teams and fewer high schools have the luxury of). But in the NFL everything is zone blocking and everything is built around the protection of the QB. They can do it because they don't have to have ALL the college kids only the very best.

Quote:

I agree....if you are rating Tebow as a classic drop back passer, I agree, he probably isn't going to be very good, or a guy who will be a project and a half.

I think he can be (and has to be) a drop back passer. His greatest quality in my eyes is his drive....not willing teams to win type of drive, but his drive to overcome. He will give his all into learning to be a passer in the NFL. That is why i said steve young is his ceiling. I just don't see a NFL team paying thier QB to be Mike Alstot with an arm. At his best he will run bootlegs where he can move the chains with those 4-5 yard runs or pass to open recievers in the flats and such, but what happens on 3rd and 7. Teams can not pick up those with tough running and play action wont cut it either....the defenses are too fast 7 yards is a long damn way in this league. Can he drop back and throw a 12 yard comeback across the field to pick that up? I don't think he can right now, but I think he has the drive to develop that skill. His toughness will come in handy to extend plays I will defiantly give him that.

Quote:

There is no doubt in my mind that if Tebow is put in to a situation where he can play his game, he will be a SB MVP.

..Our (UT) Tim Tebow was Vince Young, they still have not figured out how to use him.
Posted By: RoosteR Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/29/10 02:36 AM
For some reason I just cant see that happening.
Other prospects at QB, Teams needs (a lot of linemen, O & D), sprinkle in a few DBs, LBs, RBs, WRs and TEs and he could easily fall.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/29/10 05:47 AM
From what I saw of the practices, Tebow had trouble with the quick hits, but downfield he was good.

They had him on the sideline with a cement block in front of him throwing into a net.

He reminds me of randall cunningham and byron leftwich.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/29/10 12:36 PM
Actually, I think the Titans have finally figured out how to use Young.....just let him play.

If you just let Vince be Vince, he is going to be a pretty good player in the league.

Anyway, enough on Tebow. My opinion is known by this point as is the opinion of others. Time is the only thing that is going to finally sort of what is and what isn't, so there is no sense hashing and rehashing the same points.

There are a lot of other players we can discuss and I think I will start concentrating on them...guys we are likely to draft, because I agree, the Browns and Tebow probably aren't a fit even though he would fit well in Cleveland....the type of player, the fans, the weather...I think it would work well.

but....enough........zzzzip
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/29/10 12:38 PM
If Brady Quinn fell in the 1st round..

I just know Tebow will fall to the 2nd/ 3rd peen...
Posted By: SaintDawg Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/29/10 02:29 PM
webbage

Best/worst of Senior Bowl practice Story Highlights
Ole Miss' Dexter McCluster improved his draft stock at least 30 spots in Mobile
Arkansas State DE Alex Carrington went from a mid-round choice to a top-60 pick
USC's Taylor Mays was exposed, likely ending the interest of some franchises

By Tony Pauline,TFYDraft.com, special to SI.com

Ole Miss' Dexter McCluster may have vaulted himself into the early portion of Round 2.

MOBILE, Ala. -- NFL coaches have left Mobile and most of the scouts are headed home. The only thing left at the Senior Bowl is to tee up the ball and kick off the game. After three full days of practice its time to look back at the highlights and lowlights of the past week, many which will impact April's draft.

Best Offensive Player in Mobile
Dexter McCluster/RB/Mississippi: McCluster presented himself as the jack-of-all-trades in Mobile and someone who mastered all the applied trades. He was explosive carrying the ball, making defenders miss and creating yardage while also running hard on the inside. He was also a game-breaking pass catcher who sprinted past opponents down the sidelines. All that's left is for McCluster to showoff his return abilities during the game. He's improved his draft stock at least 30 slots and could now hear his named called as soon as the early portion of Round 2.

Honorable Mention: Taylor Price/WR/Ohio: Scouts were aware of his underlying talent entering the week but few expected Price to be as polished as he was on the field. He displayed the ability to make all the catches in the short and deep field. Price is another who moved up draft boards almost a full round based on his performance this week.

Best Defensive Player in Mobile
Alex Carrington/DE/Arkansas State: Carrington came to Mobile with a complete game, which caught scouts off guard. He was fast and powerful, the latter which answered questions about his playing strength. Scouts loudly applauded Carrington each day at practice. Coming into the week he was a mid-round choice. As Senior Bowl practices end Carrington leaves a top-60 pick.

Honorable Mention: Daryl Washington/LB/TCU: Expectations were high when Jerry Hughes, the All-America from TCU, was originally listed on the Senior Bowl roster. Hughes bypassed the event with a quad injury but the Horned Frogs program never missed a beat as his college teammate proved to be a star. By Wednesday scouts branded Washington as the top athlete of all the linebackers in Mobile and the only true three-down defender at the position.

Most Disappointing Player in Mobile
Taylor Mays/S/USC: For Mays the week turned into a potpourri of skills he's likely to struggle with in the NFL; he'll struggle handling man-to-man coverage assignments and struggle making plays sideline-to-sideline as a true NFL centerfielder. Mays is still a legitimate prospect for the next level but the limitations he displayed this week will reduce the number of teams wanting to acquire him in April.

Honorable Mention: Eric Norwood/LB/South Carolina: Norwood's inability to make plays in coverage all week was alarming. He looked like a fish out of water trying to stay with running backs and tight ends down the field. Like Mays, he has a place at the next level, yet the number of NFL systems Norwood can line up in has been reduced.

Most Surprising Player
Joe Webb/WR/UAB: Webb has been the Blazers starting quarterback the past two seasons yet made a seamless transition to receiver this week and looked like a seasoned veteran at the position. Webb was solid catching the ball all week, regularly beating defensive backs that are graded as early round picks.

Honorable Mention: Myron Rolle/S/Florida State: Rolle certainly did not look like someone who has not played football in over a year. He never embarrassed himself on the field. In fact by weeks end he was making plays and playing at a higher level than many of his teammates.

Most Memorable Moment
Midway through the first practice of the week Andre Roberts of The Citadel went across the middle trying to catch one of the many wayward throws made by the quarterbacks at the Senior Bowl. He was met head on by Mays, who laid out the small-school receiver with one of his patented crunching blows. After the crowd reacted with gasps, Roberts peeled himself off the turf, brushed himself off and quickly got back to the huddle.

NOTES: With the media hammering Tim Tebow at every given opportunity this week, we decided to stay away and give it some time. Through no fault of his own Tebow was put in an impossible situation at the Senior Bowl. His supporters were expecting an instant transformation from college legend to NFL franchise quarterback. His detractors were ready to pounce on any ounce of bad news. They all failed to realize there was no magic button to push and four years of poor throwing mechanics would not be repaired in three practices. The process will be a long one and NFL decision-makers understand this. His passion for the game and knowledge of the position puts the Heisman Trophy winner ahead of the curve, but he won't be NFL ready any time soon. ... NFL scouts and general managers were disappointed in the overall talent on this year's Senior Bowl roster. Just one player, Penn State's Jared Odrick, leaves the week as a certain first-round choice. This compares to last year when 11 veterans were selected in the opening round. Several top prospects that were invited to play bypassed the event thinking it would do more harm than good to their draft ranking. History has proven them wrong as players from B.J. Raji to Marcus Trufant to Philip Rivers all benefitted from good performances at the Senior Bowl. NFL scouting departments will also not take kindly to the fact many of these players purposely avoided competing head-to-head with some of the nation's best.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/29/10 03:31 PM
very surprising to me is:

Quote:

Honorable Mention: Eric Norwood/LB/South Carolina: Norwood's inability to make plays in coverage all week was alarming. He looked like a fish out of water trying to stay with running backs and tight ends down the field. Like Mays, he has a place at the next level, yet the number of NFL systems Norwood can line up in has been reduced.

Norwood looked like a beast in the 3 games I saw him play this year....was torn between him and Graham as my favorite OLB prospect for us. Guess I should stick with Graham? (can he stop doing well so he'll drop to us?)
Posted By: Attack Dawg Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/29/10 07:04 PM
Being asked to turn and run with speedy backs is not something he's accustomed to..and once one I say stay away from Mays..his instincts and judgement are poor..
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/29/10 07:43 PM
I think Terrence Cody will end up being how Gabe Watson of Michigan was.. He was highly tauted prior to the finish of his senior season, but it wall went downhill after that...

I hope he falls... I would snag him in the 4th round..
Posted By: The Assassin Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/29/10 08:36 PM
please delete if already posted.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:04 am EST
Tim Tebow meets his worst career fears in Senior Bowl debut

By Matt Hinton

On top of the technical issues NFL scouts have with Tim Tebow as a prospective pro quarterback, there's also the standard next-level complaint about "the system" -- specifically, among other things, that Tebow spent the entirety of his college career at Florida taking snaps from the shotgun, never from under center, even in short-yardage situations. That seemingly minor qualm opens up an entirely new avenue of doubts about his ability to adjust to basic mechanics like footwork and turning his back to the defense, fundamentals most quarterbacks have converted to second nature long before they show up for NFL auditions (or, in most cases, before they ever set foot in an actual college game).

Florida tried to address that last year by hiring respected quarterbacks coach Scott Loeffler from the pro ranks, practicing with Tebow under center and having him take a handful of "conventional" snaps in a few games, all with an eye to making the most celebrated college player in modern history a more viable prospect to the skeptics. But when he showed up Monday for the first day of heavy scrutiny at the Senior Bowl, all the old alarm bells started ringing at maximum volume -- Tebow reportedly flubbed his first snap from center, and it only got uglier from there:

Performing drills with fellow South team quarterbacks Zac Robinson of Oklahoma State and Jarrett Brown of West Virginia, Tebow fumbled the ball at least twice while taking snaps under center.

Later in team drills, Tebow fell into his same old habits — holding onto the ball too long, locking onto receivers and throwing wobbly passes.

The scouts noticed.

"He looks like the third QB out there," one NFC South talent evaluator said.

Of course, the two QBs in front of him, Robinson and Brown, also come from shotgun-based spread schemes that featured a steady dose of quarterback-as-runner, and former Texas Tech coach Mike Leach -- as prominent an acolyte of the "college spread" as you can find -- hilariously mocked the NFL mantra when his prolific protegé, Graham Harrell, met with failing grades from the scouts last spring. ("How could you possibly look yourself in the mirror and consider yourself an NFL coach and not be able to teach a guy to run back three steps, five steps and seven steps? I can teach a child that!") Longtime coach and quarterback guru Marc Trestman, who worked with Tebow to prepare for this week, said he didn't think Tebow looked bad enough to hurt himself; Miami Dolphins coach Tony Sparano, overseeing the South roster, said Tebow improved over the course of the practice. If nothing else, he's already well on his way to replacing Brett Favre's spot in Peter King's heart in the league's most influential weekly column.

But for a guy who needed a knockout week, the initial reviews are unadulterated fuel for the haters. Handling the snap is supposed to be the easy part of the transition; if he's still struggling with the basic exchange on national television this Saturday, we won't be hearing the end of it anytime soon.

I am sure if anybody can learn how to play the QB position it is TT
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/29/10 09:30 PM
I'll add this here, I thought it funny.

The Browns might as well draft the left handed Tebow to go along with Anderson and Quinn.

Both of those guys are left handed too, but at this point they don't know it.

Posted By: SaintDawg Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/30/10 03:26 AM
web page

I'm still taking in info about the guys at Senior Bowl.. I'm looking forward to the game and I intend to do some evaluating of my own.. here's some more info..

Five Senior Bowl players whom I learned about

Eric Edholm
eedholm@pfwmedia.com
Senior editor

Posted Jan. 29, 2010 @ 1:48 p.m.
By Eric Edholm
MOBILE, Ala. — One of my favorite things about Senior Bowl week is coming down here, not knowing anything about some of these players, and watching them impress me firsthand.

Once you talk to these kids, of course, you figure out they have been the stars of their high schools and colleges and are used to being the big man on campus.

There's no doubt it has been the Tim Tebow week. After all, who was the last Senior Bowl player to need two police escorts to come off the field every day? And certainly there were other well-known players, some for not-so-good reasons, such as Oregon RB LeGarrette Blount. (Blount, incidentally, impressed me with both his play and how he has handled the daily questions about the most famous punch since Kermit Washington decked Rudy Tomjanovich.)

But for the lesser-known players, until they do something here, they might not get the full attention of NFL people, or at least from dopes like me.

I came into this week thinking it was not a great group of talent here. I even had the nerve to ask South team coach Tony Sparano if he thought the same, compared to other years. He looked at me strangely and assured me it was as solid a group as he could remember.

And I think he's right. Sure, there might not be a lot of top-10 talents strolling through here this week, but I saw some really good players, several of whom I hadn't had a chance to see before.

Here are five players whom I knew little or nothing about coming in but was impressed by this week:

Washington LB Donald Butler

I had to read up on Butler after watching him look solid all week. Turns out he was second-team All-Pac-10 with 15½ tackles for loss, three forced fumbles and two interceptions. Those are pretty nice numbers for a middle linebacker on a rebuilding Huskies defense.

Butler was a late addition to the North roster, but he has shown he belongs. I can tell how he got all those tackles for losses: Butler appears to diagnose plays well and fit in the proper run gaps. He showed a quick first step, was willing to take on bigger blockers in the live portion of practice and looks like he has the athleticism to be a three-down linebacker in some systems.

"I feel most comfortable at the 'Mike' but I can play (weak side) if needed," Butler said. "I didn't drop below 240 (pounds) and didn't get above 245 my senior year, and that's where I am at now. I feel like I can gain some weight, to 250 or 255, and still be able to run. And I think I could drop to about 235 or 230 and play in a Tampa-2 defense."

Boston College C Matt Tennant

It's not that I didn't know of Tennant before, having watched a good amount of BC games the past few years. It's just that I didn't know he was this good. It's so cliché and lazy to say this, but he really reminds me of Dan Koppen when he came out of Chestnut Hill several years ago. But then again, don't all those interior Boston College linemen have a similar type of build and game? I asked him whether he thought the BC lineage helped or hurt him, given the sheer number of linemen that school has produced over the years.

"It definitely raises the bar," Tennant said. "BC has developed some great linemen. I just want to continue that tradition. And I know everyone else back there wants me to, also."

From the first practice on Monday, Tennant fit in very well. He held up in individual drills, standing up some accomplished linemen such as Penn State's Jared Odrick, North Carolina's Cam Thomas and Purdue's Mike Neal despite being a tad light in the shorts at 290 pounds. But Tennant has been as consistent and solid as any lineman here — not ever getting embarrassed and perhaps not dominating people. He looks like one of those 10-year centers who constantly is overlooked but does his job day in and day out.

"I came out here in all this craziness, learning a new scheme, and all the while you are being evaluated by all 32 teams," he said. "I think I played great this week. I won my one-on-ones, and I showcased my talent."

Arkansas State DE Alex Carrington

I knew zilch about this guy coming into the week. Nada.

But he was one of the first guys to catch my eye in what appeared to be a so-so group of North team defensive linemen. First, you notice the size — he's 6-5 and 284 pounds — and you think, 'Man, this kid looks like a base end in a 4-3 defense or even a five-technique in a 3-4. Then, you notice the quickness. He flew off the snap and really harassed most of the North offensive linemen, frustrating them with his strength and quickness. Even Mike Iupati, probably the best lineman in town and a possible top-15 pick when it's all said and done, was completely manhandled by Carrington on one play.

One of my regrets was not getting a chance to talk to him this week. I will be running by the hotel today and hope to snag his number so we can get a Q&A with him down the road.

Once I started reading about Carrington, it was clear that he didn't always play up to his potential in college. But he dominated on the small-school level and came into Mobile and did the same thing. Carrington looks like Jarron Gilbert, who was a high third-rounder last year, but to me might be a better player. In fact, the talk now is that he is a second-rounder for sure.

Citadel WR Andre Roberts

Roberts had two memorable moments this week. The first was when he made a diving catch, sustaining a crushing blow from Taylor Mays, one of the big boys. Not only did Roberts catch the ball, but he simply got up after the hit and ran back to the huddle. The next was when Roberts adjusted to an overthrown ball from Tebow and made a terrific over-the-shoulder catch, keeping both feet inbounds on the sideline.

Turns out I was not the only one who didn't know much about Roberts coming into the week. Some Alabama fans behind me asked who "that Carolina receiver" was, assuming that his powder-blue helmet meant he went to Chapel Hill. To me, Roberts looked like he could have gone to a bigger school, and heck, he might have even given some of those Tar Heel receivers from last year a pretty good run.

Roberts has a quiet confidence to him. He acts and carries himself well. I can see a home for him in the slot, but I didn't leave here this week thinking he was only a two-way go guy. He lined up outside plenty of times and got off press coverage. Roberts might be tad raw, but I thought he stood up nicely against the competition.

Miami (Fla.) TE Jimmy Graham

I caught up with Graham, the former Hurricanes basketball player who has been playing football for less than a year, and asked him if we could give him a call down the line. He was another player I wished I had chatted with (you can't get them all) because he has a fascinating story and appears to be a very athletic and intriguing prospect.

My guess is that if Antonio Gates can make the transition from hoops to football, so can Graham. Why? Graham is at least an inch taller, looks fluid running routes and, simply, doesn't look clueless out there on the field. That's the first thing I looked for: Does he look like a football player?

Unequivocally yes. Will he be a Gates-level star? Well, let's hold back on that a little bit. But Graham has something. His nice footwork and post-up ability are evident. Now I heard that he was loafing it during practice this week, but I honestly can't say I saw it. It's not as if I was watching Graham and only him this week, but I saw no evidence of him not giving a solid effort.

We'll see. My guess is he can make a team and add an interesting dimension if he can commit to blocking and special teams. And I can't wait to hear about his family when we chat down the line.
Posted By: OoooRahJoice Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/30/10 08:22 PM
Thanks for posting that,....I had just discovered that The Citadel had a player on the roster. Reason to watch now,....
Posted By: candyman92 Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/30/10 10:13 PM
Iupati moved back to LG and is looking better. Getting to the second level on run plays. Announcers described him as being a grabber, rather than a puncher.

The QBs looked bad in this game not just Tebow. Although you could time Tebows release with a sun dial.
Posted By: OoooRahJoice Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/30/10 10:16 PM
Just learned it's on NFL Network,...no Direct TV here,...
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/31/10 01:12 AM
Michigan DE Graham wins Senior Bowl MVP
Posted by Evan Silva on January 30, 2010 7:41 PM ET
Michigan DE Brandon Graham, a likely mid to late first-round pick in April's draft, took home Senior Bowl M.V.P. honors as Jim Schwartz's North squad whipped Tony Sparano's South team 31-13 at Ladd-Peebles Stadium on Saturday evening.

Graham was highly disruptive despite seeing limited snaps so everyone could play. He finished with five tackles and two sacks, including a strip-sack of Oklahoma State QB Zac Robinson to force a fumble recovered by the North at the South's 49-yard line.

Cincinnati WR Mardy Gilyard was highly productive for the North offense, catching five passes for 102 yards and a touchdown. Gilyard, who struggled with drops during the practice week, proved much better in the live setting. He beat decorated Alabama CB Javier Arenas down the right sideline for his touchdown, hauling in the 32-yard throw from Central Michigan QB Dan LeFevour. LeFevour doesn't possess great arm strength, but moved the ball aggressively and finished with 97 yards on 10 attempts, the one passing touchdown, and another one-yard rushing score.

Headliner Tim Tebow of Florida was a non-factor. His scrambles didn't work against the elite speed of Schwartz's defense, and Tebow refused to throw down field. Tebow also fumbled twice, losing one, and managed just 50 yards on 8-of-12 passing. He gained four yards on four carries.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/30/michigan-de-graham-wins-senior-bowl-mvp/
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/31/10 01:38 AM
Quote:

NRTU.

I just saw some of the clips from the practices and WOW does Tebow's release look even slower than it did in the Youtube vid's I posted.

He throws the football like an outfielder playing long-toss......

He's too slow afoot, he won't be able to make anyone in the NFL miss, he won't be able to run over an NFL linebacker and a four man rush got to him and caused a fumble with that looong slooow release. Like I said before, he's in the wrong sport. He'd make someone a great center fielder.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/31/10 01:51 AM
Quote:

He's too slow afoot, he won't be able to make anyone in the NFL miss, he won't be able to run over an NFL linebacker and a four man rush got to him and caused a fumble with that looong slooow release. Like I said before, he's in the wrong sport. He'd make someone a great center fielder.

You're wrong! Tim Tebows heart and determination will lead him to greatness! He's a winner dang it! Teams needs to mold their sceme around him! That way he can lead his team to the superbowl and earn himself MVP!!!

I couldn't type that without
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Senior Bowl... - 01/31/10 06:13 PM
I watched the game, and have it on DVR. a couple of comments.

It was not a good day for Tebow. Much Better for Lefevor. I doubt if Lefevor gets out of the 3rd round.

Gilyard looks like Deshawn Jackson.

The North DL was very good. The defense of the north was just better. Many players, looked very good. On the south Williams the DT from Tennessee looked very good.
© DawgTalkers.net