Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#457764 01/25/10 04:53 PM
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Today (1/25/10) is the first day of the Senior Bowl.

Here are the weigh in results.

Here are some of the guys I will be keeping an eye on throughout the week:

QB Tim Tebow, Florida
RB LaGarrette Blount, Oregon
WR Mardy Gilyard, Cincinnati
DE/OLB Jerry Hughes, TCU
G Mike Iupati, Idaho
RB Stafon Johnson, USC
QB Dan LeFevour, Central Michigan
S Taylor Mays, USC
WR/RB Dexter McCluster, Ole Miss
TE Anthony McCoy, USC
S Myron Rolle, Florida State
OLB O'Brien Schofield, Wisconsin
DE/OLB George Selvie, South Florida
CB Syd'Quan Thompson, Cal
CB Kyle Wilson, Boise State
T Sam Young, Notre Dame

Here are some good notes on the weigh-ins:

Impressions:

Florida quarterback Tim Tebow measured in at just under 6-3, but looked a bit leaner through his upper body at only 236 pounds. Tebow was listed on the Florida roster all season at 245 pounds, but he appears to be trying to lose some bulk through his chest and shoulders in order to increase flexibility.

If there’s one running back down here who looks the part it is Mississippi State’s Anthony Dixon. Dixon is a thick, well-built 245-pound back who possesses impressive bulk through his lower half and really seems to fill out his frame well.

Alabama nose tackle Terrence Cody tipped the scales at a whopping 370 pounds and looked every bit of it. Now, there is no denying the guy is tough to move inside, but there’s a lot of sloppy additional weight on his frame and he looks like a guy who could really be more effective playing in the 330-340 range.

On the other hand, Tennessee defensive tackle Dan Williams carries his 329 pounds very well and possesses one of the thickest bases I have ever seen. The guy has a massive bubble, really powerful-looking thighs and looks built to sit into his stance and overwhelm inside.

The winner of the 2010 Senior Bowl beauty contest was surprisingly Florida State safety Myron Rolle, who showcased by far the most chiseled body of the day. Rolle weighed in at a rocked-up 217 pounds, standing just over 6-1 and looks fully committed to making a big impression this week at the Senior Bowl.

However, the overall winner of the weigh-in was Idaho offensive lineman Mike Iupati, who measured in at 6-5 and carried his 325-pound frame extremely well. But, what was even more impressive were his 35-inch arms and 10 3/8 inch hands. Iupati made the biggest impression on me out of anyone down here today and I have a feeling he’s going to be one of the biggest winners down here this week.

Quick hits:

Oregon running back LeGarrette Blount appeared to be in very good shape, even at 245 pounds.

Cincinnati wide receiver Mardy Gilyard looked frail and undersized weighing in at only 179 pounds.

Another guy who seems to be on the verge of a really big week is Massachusetts offensive lineman Vladimir Ducasse. The guy definitely looked the part today at 6-4 5/8 and 326 pounds.

Finally, at nearly 6-8 and only 305 pounds, is it any wonder why Notre Dame offensive tackle Sam Young struggles to anchor on contact? He looked really thin through the lower half and has a frame that lacks bulk throughout.

cfrs15 #457765 01/25/10 05:00 PM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Timmy Tebow is going to impress people.

You'll see.

Ammo #457766 01/25/10 05:03 PM
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
You telling me Tebow is going to light it up at TE? Because he sure isnt going to impress anyone with his qb skills.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
Ammo #457767 01/25/10 05:04 PM
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Please don't turn this into another Tim Tebow thread.

There are other guys at the Senior Bowl worth discussing.

cfrs15 #457768 01/25/10 05:19 PM
A
Legend
Legend
A
Is the Barnes guy from B.G. there?

What about the D back from Toledo - can't think of his name off the top of my head.....

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

What about the D back from Toledo - can't think of his name off the top of my head.....

Isnt it Temple?

KING

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

SS Barry Church?

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Barnes played in the East/West Shrine game. He measured in a 6''1' and 212 lbs.

These are some of the notes I saw on him:

Quote:

Has the most impressive body of all the East wideouts. Possesses a thick lower half and good overall muscle definition through his legs. Doesn’t exhibit a second gear down the field but is a coordinated wideout who displays good body control as a route runner and adjusts well to throws away from his frame. Will struggle to beat press on the outside vs. more physical defensive backs but looks like a solid sub-package receiver in the Jason Avant mold.

Quote:

s Barnes someone who will consistently be beat man coverage on the outside and escape press vs. physical NFL corners? No, but he’s a well-built kid with good body control who does a great job gaining initial separation and plucking the football. He’s not a guy who will ever be a star in the league, but if you need a wideout who can come into a game as a sub-package receiver and move the sticks from the slot, Barnes is your man.

Quote:

We've talked all week about how slow, or how exposed in 1-on-1s Bowling Green WR Freddie Barnes has been, but in game settings or the two-minute drills he's been finding ways to get open. He's showing good instincts and catching the ball in traffic. Not sure if it's enough to overcome his physical weaknesses, but take him out of individual drills and look at him in game settings, you see how he was able to be as productive as he was in college.

cfrs15 #457772 01/25/10 05:42 PM
All Pro
All Pro
Tebow will get his shot at QB at next level...he might not ever be as successful as he was in college as a QB...but no doubt he gets a chance.

HACK

[Linked Image]
Ammo #457773 01/25/10 06:00 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Early reports are Tebow throwing a lot of wobblers.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Quote:

That made me laugh

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
cfrs15 #457775 01/25/10 06:34 PM
Legend
Legend
Of that list - I'm interested in Myron Rolle, Taylor Mays & the Wilson kid from Boise State.

I don't want anything in this draft until our secondary is shored up... we need playmakers back there.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Ammo #457776 01/25/10 06:35 PM
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Quote:

You'll see.

having you bless a qb must be the kiss of death. remember quinn?

dong #457777 01/25/10 06:35 PM
Legend
Legend
He also wanted us to draft Troy Smith in the first round.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

No doubt he throws some of those.....but they are catchable.

In some ways, more catchable.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #457779 01/25/10 08:51 PM
Legend
Legend
surprised no one mentioned mt. cody's weigh in.. an astonishing 370 lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
cle23 #457780 01/25/10 08:54 PM
A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Quote:

SS Barry Church?

Yeah, I think that's him. Thanks.

Ballpeen #457781 01/25/10 09:14 PM
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Quote:

Wait what?

If wobblers were more catchable then wouldn't guys try to throw them.

I don't understand.

Ammo #457782 01/25/10 09:22 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

You'll see.

He sure as hell didn't today. They said he looked horrible.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Tebow has rough first day at Senior Bowl
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 25, 2010 7:53 PM ET
Already tired of Favre Watch 2010? Then can I interest you in a little Tebow Watch?

We pass along reviews of Tebow's first day at Senior Bowl practice with the knowledge that the buildup to the NFL Draft will be a long one, with many ups and downs for Tebow. Monday was a downer.

Lindsay Soto on NFL Network: Tebow fumbled the first snap from center, then botched roughly 5-6 more during the day. Tebow is used to playing out of shotgun.

Christ Mortensen on Twitter: "First impression from NFL folks on Tebow at Senior Bowl -- it is indeed going to be a challenging process for him."

Stephen Holder of the St. Petersburg Times: "I'm on the sideline at the Senior Bowl practice and let's just say Tim Tebow is not exactly lighting it up. Horrible mechanics and accuracy."

Tebow will get a chance to rebound in the next three days of practice on NFL Network; the next two practices are in full pads.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/25/tebow-has-rough-first-day-at-senior-bowl/

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
cfrs15 #457784 01/25/10 09:30 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

Wait what?

I don't understand.

I am not saying it is ideal, but a ball with a little more width and a little less zip in so far as spiral that can screw through you hands doesn't hurt anything.

We as Browns fans had had a few wobblers at QB....Graham, Sipe, Kosar. None of those guys threw a perfect spiral time after time like Namath or Jeurgensen.

The problem with scouts today is they are too much in to cookie cutter reports.

I say concentrate more on what the guy can do rather than look for what he doesn't do.

Any moron can identify what a player doesn't do.

One report I saw on Cody dsaid he weighed to much.........no friggen kidding???

Just think, that guy gets paid to tell me that.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

thanks for the update..

Where did you get that info..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It's all over the place, and my company has several guys there. PFT has a report about it as well.

It sounds like his accuracy was bad, he fumbled a lot of snaps, his release was way too long, and his mechanics were awful. It sounds like his footwork was better than expected dropping back though.

And that's not bias, that's just what I've read.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Quote:

MOBILE, Ala. -- University of Florida star quarterback Tim Tebow was a dominant player at the college level, winning a national championship and a Heisman Trophy,

By all indications based on today's lackluster debut at the Senior Bowl, Tebow has a lot of work to do to make the adjustment to the NFL.

According to scouts and observers, Tebow didn't demonstrate sufficient arm strength or accuracy.

There was very little power evident in his throws, including the critical out pattern.

He also displayed fundamental mechanical issues that need to be addressed heading into the draft.

Tebow also fumbled his initial snap under center as well as several others during the opening practice for the South team. He's accustomed to operating out of the shotgun formation for the Gators.

In fairness, it was a tough day for several quarterbacks in this annual all-star game.

NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock told National Football Post that he gives credit to Tebow for showing up and facing the music rather than make NFL decision-makers wait months for him to display his wares at a controlled private workout environment.

National Football Post

Also some more quick hitters:

Quote:

MOBILE-The first full day of action at the 2010 Senior Bowl has come to a close. Both teams went through weigh-ins this morning and then took part in their first practice of the week later in the afternoon. NFP columnist Joe Fortenbaugh and I attended the North practice session today, as well as “Senior Bowl Media Night,” which took place at the USS Alabama battleship.

Here’s some of what’s been going down…

1. Clemson wideout Jacoby Ford was impressive today. He was explosive off the snap, ate up the cushion quickly and consistently separated all afternoon vs. man coverage. On a day in which the North quarterbacks struggled with their accuracy, Ford repeatedly found ways to make the tough catch. When we asked him after practice where he feels most comfortable playing at the next level, Ford responded, “Both ways [in the slot or outside] are fine with me. I just want to get out there and make plays.”

2. Due to the morning weigh-ins, Monday is the only day of the week in which both teams practice at the same time (but at different locations). Word on the street is that the South practice was loaded with fans and talent evaluators due to the presence of Florida quarterback Tim Tebow. He is definitely the hot ticket in Alabama this week.

3. We got an opportunity to speak with Oregon running back LeGarrette Blount after the North team’s practice. Blount was suspended for two months after the now-infamous incident at Boise State back in September. When we asked him about his disappointing senior season and whether or not he felt fortunate to be at the Senior Bowl, Blount replied, “I’m extremely thankful I’ve been given a second chance.” Blount looked impressive when asked to run downhill in I-formation sets today.

4. Several players, including Cincinnati quarterback Tony Pike and South Carolina linebacker Eric Norwood, turned out to be excellent interviews at Media Night (podcasts coming soon). But we were most impressed with Ole Miss running back/wide receiver Dexter McCluster. The speedster was extremely comfortable in the setting and is very grateful for the opportunity to showcase his talents in Mobile this week. If he wasn’t already, Fortenbaugh is now McCluster’s biggest fan.

5. Massachusetts offensive tackle Vladimir Ducasse looked good at the weigh-in today and showcased impressive range off the edge in pass protection at practice. He really generates good power on his punch and looks like a guy who could play four spots on the offensive line at the next level.

6. Since Tim Tebow was not present for Media Night (still not sure why), somebody had to step up as the most popular player in the room. That honor was bestowed upon former Florida State safety Myron Rolle, who took the last year off from football to study at Oxford University. Rolle had a microphone or recorder in his face from the start of the interview process until the end. This will be a big week for him.

7. The ACL injury to Wisconsin defensive lineman O’Brien Schofield was very unfortunate. We wish him a speedy recovery.

8. California cornerback Syd’Quan Thompson once again failed to impress me during practice on Monday. He looks uncomfortable in his backpedal, has a tendency to open up his hips too early and struggles to turn and run down the field.

Wes Bunting

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
I think that even though this weigh-in is just a preliminary deal and quickness in space remains to be seen, Iupati certainly needs to be getting even stronger consideration for RT right now. He has the longest arms at the Senior Bowl and massive hands. The guy is just a stud. I want him badly.

Politicians are puppets, y'all. Let's get Geppetto!

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
From what I've read/heard if he keeps performing the way he has been it won't be a reach at all to select him #7. Same goes for the O-Linemen out of UMass, Vladimir Ducasse.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

surprised no one mentioned mt. cody's weigh in.. an astonishing 370 lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Dear God!!! He makes Andre Smith look like Calista Flockhart!

cfrs15 #457792 01/26/10 08:06 AM
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
The winning coach.....What was his name.......We should snatch him up, he looks like a he's gonna be a winner some day.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

It's all over the place, and my company has several guys there. PFT has a report about it as well.

Yeah, after I asked I went looking and found some stuff.. I guess he's fumbling snaps under center...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Of that list - I'm interested in Myron Rolle, Taylor Mays & the Wilson kid from Boise State.

I don't want anything in this draft until our secondary is shored up... we need playmakers back there.

I'll let the Elbow crew try to assimilate all the stuff thats going to be exposing him,and the reality will set in about him..
Anway, there are some good corners/safeties in this draft and I'm curious about a few.
What to look for?
How fluid they are in their backpeddle,how they come out of it ,if they can turn and run..how they do in man coverage..etc..

cfrs15 #457795 01/26/10 09:54 AM
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
7. The ACL injury to Wisconsin defensive lineman O’Brien Schofield was very unfortunate. We wish him a speedy recovery.

wrong time for injuries. He might be a guy to keep an i on though- in the shrine game they moved him to OLB and he held his own, had an interception.

bigf00t #457796 01/26/10 10:02 AM
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
WOW! What a shocker! Tebow cant play under center, doesnt posess the necessary arm strength, cant read a defense, and has horrible mechanics! This is nothing new here, same thing scouts have been saying for the last 3 years! Why are people suprised by this? I think if he came in and played well would have been the suprising news.

Ballpeen #457797 01/26/10 10:04 AM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wait what?

I don't understand.

I am not saying it is ideal, but a ball with a little more width and a little less zip in so far as spiral that can screw through you hands doesn't hurt anything.

We as Browns fans had had a few wobblers at QB....Graham, Sipe, Kosar. None of those guys threw a perfect spiral time after time like Namath or Jeurgensen.

The problem with scouts today is they are too much in to cookie cutter reports.

I say concentrate more on what the guy can do rather than look for what he doesn't do.

Any moron can identify what a player doesn't do.

One report I saw on Cody dsaid he weighed to much.........no friggen kidding???

Just think, that guy gets paid to tell me that.

This.

Ammo #457798 01/26/10 12:42 PM
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
However, the overall winner of the weigh-in was Idaho offensive lineman Mike Iupati, who measured in at 6-5 and carried his 325-pound frame extremely well. But, what was even more impressive were his 35-inch arms and 10 3/8 inch hands. Iupati made the biggest impression on me out of anyone down here today and I have a feeling he’s going to be one of the biggest winners down here this week.

Any chance he impresses enough to draft at #7? Just wandering, we would be down to only needing a RT, who we could get in the 3rd.

Frenchy #457799 01/26/10 12:49 PM
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
That would be a lot of money tied up in first rd picks for the Oline. Not opposed to it, I love drafting o/d line every year, but its something to discuss.

cfrs15 #457800 01/26/10 01:36 PM
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
No surprise that Tebow is struggling. The only real surprise would have been if he actually looked good.

This reinforces the belief that he's got a long road to go. All the intangibles in the world won't help him try to tighten up his release, his mech......Hell......his entire game. But if a team like the Dolphins will take a chance on White in the 2nd round, then some other team could take a chance on Tebow that early as well. Of course the Pat White experiment was a failure this past season, so that could affect Tebow as well. I think he's fortunate that the Wildcat exists in the NFL. That's probably going to make him go a full two or even three rounds earlier than he would in previous generations of the league.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
cfrs15 #457801 01/26/10 01:41 PM
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Been watching the North's Senior Bowl practice. Here's a couple things I've noticed.

- Kyle Wilson, corner from Boise State, has looked very good. Very physical, and pretty quick.

- Dan LeFevour, QB from Central Michigan, has been taking snaps really well. Shows good footwork from under center and more zip on his throws then I thought he did.

- Mike Iupati, offensive line from Idaho, will be the first offensive linemen drafted. Can play any O-Line position. Is murdering defensive linemen.

OverToad #457802 01/26/10 01:42 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I think he's fortunate that the Wildcat exists in the NFL. That's probably going to make him go a full two or even three rounds earlier than he would in previous generations of the league.

I agree.

Afterall, it is QBs like him that have caused the NFl to adapt, and will force them to adapt more.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #457803 01/26/10 01:44 PM
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

Anyway, I forgot to mention Brandon Graham, DE/OLB from Michigan. He's burning everyone off the line.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Senior Bowl...

Link Copied to Clipboard