DawgTalkers.net
With the draft only Five days away and with so many Threads and Mocks..It seems there is no where to post Thoughts about the draft that Remain on topic. This Thread can be used for those Random thoughts and discussion including Draft Day. I was thinking I am starting to get bad thoughts about Some things that could happen.

What if Green and Peterson are gone with our pick?
I do not think Quinn is worth the 6th pick..my personal opinion but Not playing last year and the fact he recorded sacks in bunches against lesser competition really scares me.
Bowers being Hurt and Fairly being Aloof really hurt our chances of have the pick of the litter.

I wish the draft would go like this
1)Dareus
2)Quinn
3)Newton
4)Gabbert
5)Miller
6)Pick of the Litter

I think the draft will go like this
1)Newton
2)Dareus
3)Miller
4)Green
5)Peterson
6)???

At that point maybe we should hope that we can slide out of the spot..Hope someone will come up to get Gabbert or Jones. I wouldn't be opposed to taking Carimi, Watt, etc. further down.

Things I hope..
Carolina realizes they used a high selection on Clausen last year and Have Moore.

Denver Is not sure Dummervill will be Healthy and look at the sorry Sack numbers without him.

Buffalo realizes they are a team that needs Cam Newton for more reasons than he needs them..Sell tickets and a face of this franchise..

Cinci realizes the realistic possibility that Palmer will not play and is getting older and need to address this for the just in case now and the future.

Arizona realizes their #1 need is a OLB and their #1B need is a QB.
I don't know about anyone else but I'm ticked that the draft is on the NFLN which I don't get... I'm thankful that we can watch it online, but since my wife usually uses the computer at night I'm going to have to fight to watch it...
It's also on ESPN. As it always is.
Quote:

It's also on ESPN. As it always is.

ah thought I read that it was exclusive on NFLN this year.. my bad... please return to your regularly scheduled thread
Only on Thursday is it on ESPN. The next two days are on NFLN only which stinks. I'll listen on the radio and have my laptop going at full capacity.
If Green and Peterson are both gone and Dareus and Miller are both gone then at one of the top 2 qb's will be available for our pick. And while I never advocate taking a Qb nor do I suspect that the Browns would take a Qb at #6 this would sure make for some good trade fodder. Especially with SF having the next pick and a need for a Qb. Can we get Washington's 1st next year to exchange 1st round picks this year? How about next year's 1st and a 3rd from Minnesota? Maybe SF gives us a 3rd to make sure that they get their Qb. What would Tennessee offer up?

Make you feel a little bit better?
Sure it does, Some teams might pass on a QB knowing they might be in line to have a chance at Luck next year...I would put Cinci in that group..Marvin will be gone and Cinci will be picking high with a bad year..New Coach..New QB. Kolb will fill another teams Vacant spot and Orton might be out with Tebow taking over this year or next. Wonder if teams are figuring in to getting a QB via trade once labor dispute is over.
My DirecTV guide says ESPNU is carrying the 2nd and 3rd day of the draft.
My mistake. Sorry, I misread it earlier..Thanks for pointing that out.
If you still have cable TV, then it's your own damned fault.
Mine too but I'll be watching it on NFL Network anyway.
My Guide has it on ESPN from 5-7 and ESPN2 from 7-9 on Friday, and then ESPN on Saturday from 11-7.

Unfortunately I have to work Thursday and Friday nights. I will probably be recording NFLN then though.
214 lives in DFW, though, which is central time zone. I think I'll be leaving work 15 min early on Friday.
I think this is our big board:

1) AJ Green
2) Patrick Peterson
3) Marcell Dareus
4) Von Miller
5) Nick Fairly
6) Julio Jones

With Colt McCoy getting the WRs together and with everyone in Berea saying Colt McCoy is our QB I honestly do not think Gabbert or Newton is in our top 10.
I don't think Miller is in our top list... Heckert tried to hide that he doesn't think much of him in the press conference, but he's no poker player.
I think we are relatively weak at linebacker if allowed to Blitz in a 4-3 attacking style I think he could be very effective. However, if we end up playing a tampa 2 style then we would be wasting Von Millers talent.

Anyone look at Scott Wrights mock draft recently? He has us drafting the entire UNC team....Seriously. He has the browns drafting Robert Quinn, Marvin Austin, and Greg Little. Is Butch Davis our GM?
I would think that our top 5 goes something like this .....

1) Dareus
2) Peterson
3) Fairly
4) Green
5) Miller
Quote:

I think this is our big board:

1) AJ Green
2) Patrick Peterson
3) Marcell Dareus
4) Von Miller
5) Nick Fairly
6) Julio Jones

With Colt McCoy getting the WRs together and with everyone in Berea saying Colt McCoy is our QB I honestly do not think Gabbert or Newton is in our top 10.

I sure hope they don't pick Peterson or Any Defensive back if they stay at 6

I'd rather they take a chance on a Brady Quinn clone which may pan out the 2nd time, so yes I'm saying I'd rather they draft Gabbert or Newton, 2 qb's I don't know anything about other than Peterson who I know is a db.

in 2011, because of who they took in 2010, I'm saying Any Qb is better than investing a 1st rd pick on another Db!

I sure hope they don't pick Peterson or Any Defensive back if they stay at 6

Yeah...Let's pass on who many have rated as the #1 or #2 player in this draft...

We gotta take Peterson if he's there...Lockdown the outside and don't worry about it anymore...Then build up the interior of the line and get that Pass Rusher...

This D could be Top 10 in 2 years...
With Haden, Peterson and Ward back there, I think you could rightfully say that it improves to be within the Top 5 virtually overnight and they could very well be together for a long, long time!

If Peterson is there and the Browns don't draft him, then I'm not a happy Browns fan. If they trade down, it had better be to SF to select whichever CB they don't take (either Peterson or Amukamara) and to get SF 2nd this year or next years 1st rounder.

I might be persuaded to think that would be acceptable. That would still potentially get us a Top 5 defensive backfield for a long, long time and give us another high quality selection either this year or next.
I am now less-inclined to get a WR at #6.
We probably should go 'D' and I have warmed to the idea of another top corner with that pick. A trade down sounds intriguing, also.

Other Random Thoughts: this year's draft kinda snuck up on me. I haven't looked forward to is as I usually do.

I wish they'd do two rounds on Thursday night.
If Peterson is not there, I don't want to go Prince... Peterson is quite possibly the best player in the draft.. after him, then we need DE or WR.
I agree, although I started a Mock last week. I got to pick 17 and then I forgot what site I was on. With this labor dispute and lack of free agency, it took some of the luster away.

Wondering if the new players will be allowed to do Press conferences and work out at the facility considering they are not currently in a dispute until under contract.

I did see Scott Wrights Mock and was going to post something yesterday..Three NC players in the first three rounds..Never happen Scott.
Quote:

I am now less-inclined to get a WR at #6.
We probably should go 'D' and I have warmed to the idea of another top corner with that pick. A trade down sounds intriguing, also.

Other Random Thoughts: this year's draft kinda snuck up on me. I haven't looked forward to is as I usually do.

I wish they'd do two rounds on Thursday night.

I wish the draft started on Friday night and finished on Sunday..

I am reserved to thinking Peterson or Green or Jones or trade up or down.
Not high on Quinn at all. and the only other player worthy of the 6th pick is Fairly..So I think of Sean Rodgers..I know he could take over a game and block kicks..What impact did he really have though? We had losing records in all of his years here except one. Our Defense still ranked in the bottom..Do I think Fairly will be as good...Not sure, but Braylons presence as a Receiver had more of an impact than Rodgers did..that was obvious last year.

I would be upset with Quinn or Prince at that Pick..I watched tape on Prince and seeing Blackmon Own him was enough for me..It looked like a man against a boy..But I don't get paid to make evaluations..for good reasons..
If I had to make a big board it'd look something like this:

#1. AJ Green- Its no secret that our two biggest needs are WR and DL/Pass Rush. I give AJ Green the nod over Marcel Dareus simply because this is a deep DL draft and very good talent can be had in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. After Green and Jones its a bit of a fall to the next tier of WR. That being said Green looks like a sure thing, dont see much bust potential. If he can give us a legit #1 WR threat it will only go on to help Robiskie and MoMass and give McCoy a legit target.

#2. Marcel Dareus- No way will he still be on the board when we pick but if he is still there, Green is the only player I take before him and even then its a struggle. He is a dominant D-lineman who is capable of not only stuffing the run but rushing the passer as well. He's not on Suh's level like last year but he will be a VERY good player to whoever takes him.

#3. Patrick Peterson- Though we picked Haden last year, some say the most important position to find is a good cornerback. You pick Peterson and you essentially can forget about CB for years to come and focus on strengthening other aspects of this team. Many boards have him as the #1 player overall. Some say hes more of an athlete than corner, others say hes the next Deion Sanders (field-playwise). The kid is raw and will only get better. My only concern would be in 5 years or so when Haden and Peterson would be FA's, would the Browns have enough money to keep both.

#4 Julio Jones- I would put Von Miller here but our lack of a true #1 wideout absolutely killed the offense last season. No one could get separation so they just started focusing on the TE's and Hillis. While I don't think he's quite on par with Green and there are concerns regarding his foot, I still believe Jones is going to be a great WR in the NFL. We need a wideout plain and simple, so much that even though Miller may be ranked higher, the need is greater. Besides, after this the next to WR's I here coming off the board are Leonard Hankerson or Randall Cobb, again a far cry from Green and Jones.

#5. Von Miller- I cant put my finger on it but theres something about Miller I don't like. I think he's a better fit for the 3-4 defense and I've heard some concerns about his pass coverage ability. His pass rush would still be very welcome but in a 4-3 the linebackers are relied in coverage more often than pass rush. He'll still be a very good player and I would not have any problem taking him.
Quote:

If Peterson is not there, I don't want to go Prince... Peterson is quite possibly the best player in the draft.. after him, then we need DE or WR.

I understand your desire for either DL or WR if Peterson is gone but I caution you that a trade down could possibly net you both Prince and another selection to be used on that DL or WR that you want.

There are more WRs in this draft than A.J. Green or Julio Jones. There are DL that are quite capable whose names aren't at the top of the list either. Prince Amukamara is a Top 10 selection and we are in the Top 10.

Now, I ask you why so many mock drafts (by the so-called experts) have Cam Newton as the #1? Is he the best player? Does Carolina need to draft a QB #1 after selecting one in the 2nd round last year (the coaching change doesn't matter). If I were a betting man (but I'm not), I think that Rivera will be going defense with the #1 pick (or looking to trade down - if only a couple spots).

Looking at the teams picking in the Top 5, I see 3 teams that could use a QB, but they are numbered 3 (Buffalo), 4 (Cincy) and 5 (Arizona). I could see all of them taking a QB with their 1st round selections but I could also see them passing on it and waiting until the 2nd round.

Despite popular belief, a team's starting QB doesn't have to be a 1st round selection. Look no further than the Browns.

In any case, it'll be interesting to watch it play out but I would be happy with either Peterson or Amukamara. I prefer Peterson, but if I'm making the selection and Peterson is gone but Amukamara is there, I've got a card with Amukamara's name on it waiting to be handed in - but I'm fielding offers for the #6 selection although only serious inquiries would be considered.
Quote:

in 2011, because of who they took in 2010, I'm saying Any Qb is better than investing a 1st rd pick on another Db!

I just don't think that is Heckerts style. If he has Patrick Peterson as the Highest rated player on his board and he is there at 6 I believe he takes him. That is a value pick and arguably The safest pick in the draft..Too much to pass up. I can see him trading back into the first or second round if another player dropped within striking distance such as a Cameron Heyward or Daquan Bowers..
Quote:

Quote:

I just don't think that is Heckerts style. If he has Patrick Peterson as the Highest rated player on his board and he is there at 6 I believe he takes him. That is a value pick and arguably The safest pick in the draft..Too much to pass up. I can see him trading back into the first or second round if another player dropped within striking distance such as a Cameron Heyward or Daquan Bowers..

And this is why I've had this Throw Long character on my ignore for awhile...........

The guys that I'm interested in are:
- AJ Green (I need a new Browns Jersey, I'm not sold on McCoy (yet) and I've seen Green play a lot. I look at the guy, and he's the real deal to me. A sure-fire pick. Great hands and he's quick. He's a big guy with jump ball ability and should be our TD go-to guy. He'd be a huge asset to our offense

- Patrick Peterson: I've seen this guy play a few times. He's a guy who's hard not to notice. He's aggressive and good against the run, and he plays very good coverage. Big and agile, and he's been tested against some of the top competition this country offers.

I'm not sure I'm as high on him as I was on Joe Haden (my number two guy last year behind Eric Berry). But if he can be as good as Joe, that's an awesome pick and we should send that card in right away.

- Prince Anumukara (or whatever): Haven't seen him play. But people say the guy is better in man-to-man coverage than Peterson. He's gotten plenty of experience and is a star. I love hearing about guys who can D up really well man to man. They tend to be tough, aggressive, in your face defensive backs. Leigh Bodden was awesome at man-to-man coverage. So is Darrelle Revis.

Joe Haden is really good in man-to-man coverage too. If we could leave our two CB's each on an island, then we have many more options for the rest of our defense. We can blitz more, do a better job defending the run and unleash TJ Ward

Some people have an issue going with corner, I have no problem with it. Sheldon Brown should start thinking about moving to safety, this became apparent to me last season when TO owned him. Eric Wright is still young, and he can be our Nickel. His play improved toward the end of the season. Sheldon Brown will only get worse. Moving to FS could pro-long Brown's career IMO. He just doesn't have the speed to stay at CB like Ty Law did and Charles Woodson is doing (plus those guys were/are much better than Brown)

- Robert Quinn: Don't know much about Robert Quinn, watched some highlights that make him look good. Of course, I'd love a highlight real of my greatest beach volleyball/paddle tennis plays: I'd look much better than I actually am. This guy I'm basing off of what other people say about him

- D'Qwann Bowers: Provided his knee is healthy, he looks pretty good to me (i've only seen highlights though). DE's don't have to be ridiculously quick, especially in the 4-3. Heckert talks about Trent Cole, but I watch the Giants and Justin Tuck/Michael Strahan/Osi Uminyora all are bigger DE's (Tuck also plays DT) and they all do/have done a great job at rushing the QB. We might be able to trade back a spot or two and get him also.

I like big guys who can support against the run. Bowers seems to be able to do that, along with rushing the pass. People say this knee thing has messed him up, but he's like 21. I'm 25 and I feel young. I don't get how people are gonna write off a guy who's 21 and say that he can't go back to normal. If our medical staff says he'll be okay, he sounds good to me
I say If Peterson is there... Take HIM!!! and keep him. But he wont be.
The kids a stud.

Prediction: We trade down with Dallas n grab Julio/Prince instead. I dont know the trade charts but their second this year and next years first with a later round pick this year N I'll be happy.

Also... Expect Bellicheck to be making moves on draft day. I think he's eyeing Peterson/Green
random thoughts! Mark Ingram!

It's 7 am, and my heart is overrulling my mind, but really my mind cannot find a downside. Suppose the pick WAS Mark Ingram, what's the downside?

Possible downside#1, you passed up the best RB this year and he turns into the next Tony Dorsett. No because this is taking him

#2, the QB isnt ready, No because Colt McCoy is as much of a hope as a pick of any of the Qb's this year

#3 Hey Hey TL, what about Peyton Hillis? so what, how is it a downside to have Another possible credible Factor Back?

#4 His bust potential? C'mon this player has been hyped on college boards for a long time, he won the Heisman TWO years ago , he has longevity,

#5 He's not wanted by others? Mike and Mike just said the Pats will probably get him, Hmm they don't know what they've been doing the last decade

#6 There's a better player at his position? GET Real , This year there is little top level talent at the offensive skilled positions and this guy is the clear #1 at Runningback

#7 He can't catch passes out of the backfield? So what, he's not trying to be Brian Westbrook, he's trying to be Marcus Allen, or Jerome Bettis, or Emmit Smith

Merry Christmas! It's draft day,

I dont' expect ANYONE, because Noone on this board has agreed in the past that RB is the most important, and the offense in general, I just know that every year there is a chance that you passed on the next Tony Dorsett, and nobody has commanded the league like he did since, except for Joe Montana and Montana did it with the system.

The Pro Football Hall of Fame is dominated by players at 2 positons on the football field
Running Back!
and Linebacker!

It's 7 am and the last 12 hours, I keep thinking Mark Ingram, Mark Ingram, man it would be great
I would be so Thrilled if Mark Ingram was the pick at #6 he may be the safest pick in this draft, he may be the next Marcus Allen, this may be a 12 year player in a league with a 4 year avg.

I'm saying the 2 Safest picks are this guy and maybe Phil Taylor

Mark Ingram, what is the downside?
He's not flashy enough, he's not superstar enough, he's gonna want too much money

Hillis' success would make INgram and Hillis Both better and more signable, plus provide for a reason to keep Vickers.

Rb's never get paid as much as Qb's anyway and having Hillis and even Hardesty on the roster would make this pick more likely not less likely to get into camp!

Having a camp battle is a good thing

The Cleveland Browns did trade up in 2010 to get Hardesty a runningback, and because of injury he produced zero in that season.
So the team has shown it is important.

Mark Ingram, I say the Safest pick, and Solid too, man can you imagine

It is just like all you other thinkers who want to solidify another side with a Peterson pick,
Just think how much an Ingram pick would solidify the Browns backfield.

We gotta get this guy? Why not!

I personally feel WORSE about the Browns passing up on a chance to pick Ingram with the #6 overall, and potentially leaving the next hall of fame RB, then I would feel if the do get him and they get Brady Quinn type production out of him the next 3 years.

short read: Can the Browns afford Not to draft Mark Ingram?
Ive liked Ingram for a long time.

PP is the man though! You talk about the Dawgs revisited! Peterson and Haden, the new breed!
Quote:

Short answer: Yes
Quote:

Quote:

DOUBLE YES!!
And there are alot of concerns with Ingram's knee as well. I would fall out of my lazyboy if he was the pick at 6.

I'm not liking alot of final mocks..... Gabbert is sliding thru to 6 with Newton, von Miller, Dareus, Green and Peterson gone. That is worse case scenario for me, unless we can trade out of there to a QB hungry team. And if that is the case, it would work out nicely.
Who's gonna gather in the chat room and what time?

The actions faster in there!
Quote:

Who's gonna gather in the chat room and what time?

The actions faster in there!

I was just gonna ask the same thing.

I have a b-ball game at 7 that will go until 8. I probably won't be home until 8:30 - 8:45, but I'm going to get in the chat room soon after that. Hopefully won't miss the Browns' pick (will be listening on the radio in the car, though).
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

DOUBLE YES!!

Triple Yes!

I mean anytime you can double-up at a position where your current starter is on the cover of Madden, how can you even think of not doing that though right? wait, what?
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

DOUBLE YES!!

Triple Yes!

I mean anytime you can double-up at a position where your current starter is on the cover of Madden, how can you even think of not doing that though right? wait, what?

Oh hell yes.

We have a Pro Bowl caliber RB right now, along with a highly thought of guy returning from injury.

I could see us taking a 6th round "3rd down" back, but a 1st rounder ...? Not a chance. That would be idiotic. (Unless we wound up with 10 1st round picks ..... and even then it might still be idiotic)
Every team in the league can afford to pass up on Ingram in the first.
Just wondering if anyone was planning on being on the Dawgtalkers Chat this evening during the first round?

Might be fun
I'm there. Thats a quorum isnt it?!

Any thoughts on what it would take to get Steve Smith out of Carolina? He's demanding a trade. Any interest in that type of scenario?
Quote:

I'm there. Thats a quorum isnt it?!

Any thoughts on what it would take to get Steve Smith out of Carolina? He's demanding a trade. Any interest in that type of scenario?

See ya then

Well, unless things change somehow between now and the draft this evening.. I don't know how we'd accomplish that..
Carolina wants picks sounds like. Sounds like theyre looking to do this quickly.

But I dont think thats possible with the labor situation.
Quote:

Carolina wants picks sounds like. Sounds like theyre looking to do this quickly.

But I dont think thats possible with the labor situation.

Just read on another thread that while teams can open thier facilities to players tomorrow at 8am, there can still be no trades of players or FA signings etc.. So, I'm guessing that as things are at this moment, it can't happen
Quote:

Random Thoughts.

Brown in Cincinnati digs in, passes on Gabbert at 4, can subtley blame the tanked season on Palmer (possibly) sitting out, and put the Bengals in position to draft Luck next year.

Which is really just a long-winded way of saying that I hope Gabbert goes #3 or #5, and Peterson falls to us.
I hope it's:

Cam
Dareus
Von
Julio (hey, he's ahead on their board, right?)
Green

Peterson and Gabbert fall to the #6 spot. We take offers and try to get teams to outbid each other. If it's not overwhelming, we still get Peterson. win/win
I hope it's:

Newton
Peterson
Miller
Green
Gabbert
#6 Dareus
well, to be honest, I do too. I just don't see it happening at all.

better odds for a DB dropping than a DL (at least that's what history says)
Quote:

Every team in the league can afford to pass up on Ingram in the first.

A team like the Saints, with a well established team elsewhere, and a real need for a strong RB, might see him as their 1st rounder. He catches the ball well enough to be a threat in their offense, and he would be the best runner they have had since McAllister.

95 yards/game and 9 rushing TDs are definitely areas they would love to improve upon.
I hope it's:

Newton
Miller
Gabbert
Green
Peterson or Dareus
Dareus or Peterson
REply 5 times yes.

It is a draft year that is held on a day that ends in a Y. ( Means its a year anytime in history)

The Rb position, isnt this the #1 rated rb in this draft? yep

Being a draft year that ends in a y means there's a chance the next hall of fame rb is here, means if you don't take him you passed on him,

Did the Browns have a 1400 yd rusher last year?
Was Kevin Mack a Bust because Ernest Byner was already on the team?

Have the Browns had a 1400 yd rusher in 30 years?

When was the last draft that this board had support for a running back 4 hours before start by anyone other than me and maybe one other.

Year that ends in a Y! ? Did the Browns have a 1400 yd rusher, or a 1600 yd all purpose back? If not can the Browns afford to pass on the #1 Rb on the board? They should at least consider it.

If they take the Rb is he the first Rb or will another team have picked one first.
Is there a chance this is the year the Browns Do Not pass on a hall of fame Rb?
No position can change the game like the Rb position, except maybe Qb.

He's out there somewhere! The next hall of fame rb is out there somewhere, and I for one don't want the Browns to pass on him.
Is it this year? probably not, But don't overlook this position.
Quote:

Year that ends in a Y! ? Did the Browns have a 1400 yd rusher, or a 1600 yd all purpose back?

Yes. Peyton Hillis had 1,654 all purpose yards last year.

Thank you, come again.
LOL
Oh my gosh

There's never any love for the Rb draft pick on this board!

Draft a Rb, there's nothing better to watch than a back crash through a defense all day long.
your post is pretty ridiculous, but i'll try to break out the finer points at least.

Quote:

isnt this the #1 rated rb in this draft? yep

to the majority, probably. but Ingram's knees have many putting LeShoure ahead of him.

Quote:

there's a chance the next hall of fame rb is here, means if you don't take him you passed on him

the same can be said of EVERY position. perhaps Ryan Mallet gets over his issues and may be a HOF QB. if we don't take him, then we passed on him.

do you see how crazy that sounds? it's a terrible reason to pick a player. they all have risk and grading is your way of doing risk mitigation.

Quote:

Did the Browns have a 1400 yd rusher last year?

Peyton Hillis had 1177yds, so no. However, he was on pace for over 1400 yards but without the threat of a passing game, teams really keyed in on him the last 1/4 of the season + he was getting worn down because we had no RB to spell him with. That is a reason to draft a RB (even with Hardesty coming back), but it's not one that makes drafting a RB in the 1st round a necessity. Far from it (you would think opening up the passing game would help more than spelling him a few downs).

Quote:

When was the last draft that this board had support for a running back 4 hours before start by anyone other than me and maybe one other.

That's easy. The Adrian Peterson draft. The board was 50/50 between Joe Thomas and Adrian Peterson.

Were the Browns wrong to draft a franchise LT over a franchise RB? I say no.

How about last year with Haden over CJ Spiller? Well, Spiller did close to nothing while Haden was a huge contributer.

Quote:

Year that ends in a Y! ? Did the Browns have a 1400 yd rusher, or a 1600 yd all purpose back? If not can the Browns afford to pass on the #1 Rb on the board? They should at least consider it.

Peyton Hillis had 1654yds from LOS last year. So, yes, the Browns had a 1600yd all purpose back.

Quote:

No position can change the game like the Rb position, except maybe Qb.

maybe? you are insinuating that Adrian Peterson changes the game more than Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning? Really?

there is a reason the best QBs live in the playoffs every year while there is no such distinction with best RBs (11/12 top QB rating made the playoffs.....only 5 of top12 rushers last year made the playoffs)

Quote:

He's out there somewhere! The next hall of fame rb is out there somewhere, and I for one don't want the Browns to pass on him.

he might not get selected until round4 or 5. last year the best rookie RB was Blount (UDFA) and the leading rusher was Arian Foster (round6). James Starks led the NFL in rushing in the playoffs (round7 rookie).

RB has proven to have talent later in the draft more than most positions. is the better talent usually near the top, of course. but, it's also usually pretty well known when a guy is a "once in a decade player" and he is drafted accordingly (ricky williams, ladianian tomlinson, reggie bush -- even though bush hasn't been healthy enough and isn't really a RB he was drafted as such)

Quote:

Is it this year? probably not, But don't overlook this position.

so, all of that you you think that this is probably not the year a great RB is there. well, thanks
Quote:

Draft a Rb, there's nothing better to watch than a back crash through a defense all day long.

You mean like this?

Go away, please.
It's a passing league now.
Quote:

It's a passing league now.

+1

Build a defense to stop the pass (DB's and pass rushers) and build an offense to pass (QB, O-line, then RB/WRs).

Teams built around a star running back don't often go very far in the playoffs.
jc

Well, Draft Day is here. It's like Christmas for us Browns fans, and fans across the NFL.

Let's just hope Santa quits giving us socks and underwear, and upgrades to some high end electronics.

We've been good this year!
I would call Joe Thomas socks and underwear. Something that not everyone appreciates on XMAS day but something you really need to live life comfortably.

But yes, I think the time for our franchise is to get more of the flashy electronics. He delivered a Blu-Ray player last year with Joe Haden, so hopefully we get the Kinect this year (Patrick Peterson).
Wouldn't argue with ya on that my man.

AJ Green or Peterson for me. Need the WR BADLY, but man, Peterson and Haden holding it down, with Brown coming in? Niiiiice.
Been watching some Julio jones film and I really love his physical presence!
Had a few Random thoughts...Wonder if the Browns are thinking about picks for next year..gives them another year to see if McCoy is the real deal..if not putting themselves in a position to have a shot at luck?

Also who would you rather have? Julio Jones or Justin Blackmon?
I've been thinking the same thing. Two first rounders, one very high one if McCoy plays played, should be a good start to move up to the #1 pick next year. Especially if a team with their future QB is picking #1.
I hope Hillis blows Josh McDaniels' wife a kiss when he announces the pick if she's there
Goodell BOOOOOOed big time! WE WANT FOOTBALL!!! LET THEM PLAY!!!

Great start to the draft!
Here we go!
j/c

I gotta say I am already tired of hearing the Cam Newton jock fest.
They got to get it all out because they won't be able to talk with him after this 1st pick.
Cam Newton on the phone.

1st pick down.
I Love that everyone Booed Goodell! LMAO Here we go gang!!! Go Brownies!!!
I think they ought to be booing the players personally.

Unfortunately no players union representatives are on the podium.

Panthers take Newton. No real surprise ..... but I question the pick.
Jimmy Clausen just put his head back in the sand.
Good Luck Signing Cam Carolina!!! JMHO Go Brownies!!!
Better them than us...Cam is a flop
Wow! Von Miller goes 2nd?

I'm stunned.
The Donkeys got a Good one!
I guess Denver think Von Miller is the real deal. We'll see...

#3 is up. I think Buffalo picks fast.
I wanted Von
von is a terrible scheme fit for denver
Another QB here or Cincy land us one of the Big three
Quote:

von is a terrible scheme fit for denver

Even with them switching their scheme?
I've been thinking the same thing. Are they going to put his hand in the ground?
Can he hold the edge on running plays?
Damn! I was really hoping again hope that Dareus would fall.
OK Cincy pick a QB.... so we get Green/Peterson
Here we go...........

DAMN IT!
I'm just glad the kids are being respectful to Godell and not ruining their moment.
Wow! That's a shock!

I thought they were going Gabbart there.

Well .... our pick will either have Peterson or Gabbart available ..... so we could have the best defensive player in the draft ... or trade bait.
Well we can do the next best thing to taking A.J Green.......

Take Patrick Peterson to shut down A.J Green.

I don't know who I want!! Arrrgggh
my mancrush all year goes to cinci
Quote:

OK Cincy pick a QB.... so we get Green/Peterson

Mike Brown would but off his own nose before drafting a QB (which would be giving in to Palmer). I'm sure he thinks this will be the pick to entice Palmer back on the field for them. And if not, they don't care....they'll let him rot before trading him.
Dumb Bengals, palmer is not coming back.
The stars are lining up for us to trade.
Our cornerbacks will have to face Green. It may mean we take "The Prince" in a trade down? Go Brownies!!!
Quote:

The stars are lining up for us to trade.

If we do trade down, I hope we take everything but the other team's underwear.
Quote:

Well .... our pick will either have Peterson or Gabbart available ..... so we could have the best defensive player in the draft ... or trade bait.

+1

I'm hoping, hoping, and hoping Zona goes YoGabbaGabbert here (stolen joke).

But hey, like you said.....we would also have Gabbert for trade bait.
I really can't imagine them passing on a QB .... but who knows?
Quote:

I really can't imagine them passing on a QB .... but who knows?

It would make too much sense to take a QB.....but some talking head yesterday said they'd just sign a junky free agent QB to hold down the fort for a few years (or trade for Kolb).
looks like peterson.
I agree with that. brown isn't going to give in to palmer. he will have to retire before they trade him.
Well ... looks like we could have trade bait if Arizona's taking Peterson.
Peterson gone
Dammit, I say trade now
Here we go Brownies...Here we go!!!!
Quote:

Peterson gone

Damn. There goes my entire want list. Trade the pick now.
I bet our phones are blowing up right now.
Crap, I wanted Peterson. We had better not trade with Atlanta.
I'd still take Julio here if we dont trade
TRADE is in! We BETTER get a freaking steal!
I hope we didnt trade down too far and got alot in return.
Falcons?
never mind typed that before they put the falcons on the clock.
We BETTER have got ALOT in return.
Quote:

Falcons?

Yup!

I would bet my next mortgage payment we had a card with Peterson's name on it....and once that option was gone, we called Atlanta back and took the deal.

Switch our firsts, get a 2nd this year (maybe a 3/4 too)....next years 1st and a 3/4th.
Trade!!!
Looks like the Falcons are gonna take Julio Jones with our pick... Knowing that we need to get Colt some weapons, A.J. Green is gone and we do this? WTH????
They saying its a hefty price so thats good news
Looks like the Falcon traded up.

I hope we took even their underwear. lol
I didn't want jones. I'm happy not to take him but how far down are we now?
THIS BETTER BE GOOD MAN!
They keep saying they gave up a lot ... I hope so.

We're way down there now =(
Atlanta's 1st, 2nd, and 4th this year ... and 1st and 4th next year.

Wow!
2011 1st, 2nd, 4th
2012 1st 4th
Quote:

Looks like the Falcon traded up.

I hope we took even their underwear. lol

Looks like the wedgie goes to us.
Wow, we made out there...as long as there is still a draft
We got their 1st, 2nd, 4th this year and 1st and 4th next year.
Two firsts and a second ... but those two firsts are going to be #20-#30 range. Hope we can pick up something good late.
Yup

We give:

Atlanta gives:

#59 (2nd rounder)
#124 (4th rounder)
Their first and fourth rounder in 2012
Wow!!! We cleaned their clock!!!!!!
Atlantas 1st, 2nd & 4th and next years 1st and 4th. Awesome!
This will be more of a pay off next year.

Their 1st, 2nd and 4th this year, and their 1st and 4th next year.

Let's go for 0-16 next year dirty birds!
The only concern I have is that there damn well better be a draft next year!
Quote:

...as long as there is still a draft

Very, very good point. If there is no draft, and there is a decent chance at that, we got screwed! HARD!

Like the trade.

It also give us ammo to move back up in this draft, in round 1 or any others.
I am in love with Tom Heckertt
Now I gotta wait 2 more hours!!!!!! Waaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!
I keep hearing this and that about a draft next year........

Do you think for one second that Holmgren and Heckert would trade for a first next year if they weren't fairly positive there will be a draft next year?
With their 2nd & 4th, we can trade back up and have (2) 1st round picks like NE This year!!!! Go Brownies!!!
I'll bet we try to trad up soon if Fairly falls.
My question is can we package our second round pick this year and the Falcons first round pick next year to move up to the Patriots 17?

*edit* That would probably be a dumb idea actually. My brain turns to mush when the draft rolls around.
Maybe.....but the players union will be pushing for that. And so far, the courts have been backing the players.

I would think they know more than we do.

ALDON SMITH? I guess.
Why would we do that?

That would mean that we would have given up #6, our #2, and the #1 we traded for, for a lower 1st a lower 2nd, a 4th, and a 4th next year.
Pats have 1st pick in 2nd & are looking to pad picks for next year...I feel they can be had in a trade up scenario for 1 of their 1st. They only have 5 picks next year! Go Brownies!!!
Quote:

My question is can we package our second round pick this year and the Falcons first round pick next year to move up to the Patriots 17?

I'm sure we could.

I've always wanted to setup our picks like the Pats.....stockpile them and keep adding, and adding, and adding......not trading up and going back to stock.

As long as there's a draft next year, I say stay pat and just collect players.
WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW!

Jake Locker!

WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW!
Never mind ..... I see your point somewhat.

Wow! Titans go with Locker?
Quote:

Why would we do that?

That would mean that we would have given up #6, our #2, and the #1 we traded for, for a lower 1st a lower 2nd, a 4th, and a 4th next year.

Yeah after I posted that I read it and thought "why in the hell would we want to do that?"

Like I edited above my brain turns to mush this time of year.
Tenn took Locker over Gabbort?
OH MY

.... I think Django's head just exploded.
Quote:

OH MY

.... I think Django's head just exploded.

LOL Could be.
Wow Tennessee, surprise there
That is a definate WOWWWWWWWW.

Where the hell does Gabbert go now? The Skins?
all i gotta say is THANK GOD WE TRADED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I knew Heckert had more sense then to use that #6 on a darn corner or a WR....we robbed the Falcons blind with this! we took them to the woodshed!

this will allow us to fix the right side of our OL and get some decent DL and LB in here so we can do something this year.....also don't be suprised if we grab a WR in rd 2 or 3

this could turn out to be a great draft!

great move by Heckert! great move!
Maybe he can drop to us and we can fleece someone else.
Fairly, the guy from Auburn is still on the board....
Betcha the Cowboys trade to the Vikings to jump in front of the skins
I agree ... I feel like this was a 5 player draft, and the three players we really could of used went 3, 4, 5. At that point, I wanted to trade down, and we did it ... getting a pretty good deal in the process.
My guess....stocking up for....

Andrew Luck

If Colt fails, Browns are in top 10 and I don't think Falcons will repeat their success of last year, probably still finish 9-7 or 10-6 and will be mid 20's pick. If one of the teams that drafted a QB still lands at #1, I bet we trade up

If Colt is good, then Justin Blackmon and some defense

Now, what do we do at #27? My guess is OT Derek Sherrod, Gabe Carimi or DE/DT like Clayborn, Houston, Austin, Reed
I too like the trade.

Three picks this year and two more next year.

We keep a first rounder this year, pick up a 2nd rounder and a 4th rounder this year and then get another first rounder and a fourth rounder next year.

I like the fact that we got 5 picks. With the way that the Browns FO has shown it can draft, I like the value of that draft.

Only drawback is that I'm going to have to stay up and not get as much sleep that I hoped to get tonight.
I now have 2 favorite teams next year...
The Browns and whoever is playing the Falcons! (would love to see the Falcons have a high #1 next year).
Quote:

Now, what do we do at #27? My guess is OT Derek Sherrod, Gabe Carimi or DE/DT like Clayborn, Houston, Austin, Reed

It's a pretty deep draft for D-linemen ... not sure we go RT with a first round pick, but it's possible.
I Love it when they Boo Goodell!!! LMAO
Love to see everything except DT going off the boards.
Think we are safe with a draft threw 2014 since the rules for this draft were you could trade pics up to then but not players.
Wouldn't be surprised to see Bowers drop that far ... would be a bit of a risky pick, but mock drafts had that guy going #1 before the workouts started.
Quote:

I agree ... I feel like this was a 5 player draft, and the three players we really could of used went 3, 4, 5. At that point, I wanted to trade down, and we did it ... getting a pretty good deal in the process.

I felt similar about this as well, once Peterson went off the board right before us, I was hoping we could make a deal, and we made a great one in terms of acquiring draft picks, now we still have to see what the Organization will do with the picks but having them to begin with is a great start... Good work by all involved in pulling the trigger on the deal!
Quote:

Quote:

It's a pretty deep draft for D-linemen ... not sure we go RT with a first round pick, but it's possible.

Isn't that why you would go O-line in round 1 b/c it is D-line is deep assuming you have the players rated similar? That way, you'll possibly get more value with early 2nd in getting perhaps a first round D-line talent....
Corey Liuget? at 27
My guess is to look for the Browns to trade out of the first round all together, especially if 2 or 3 or the QB's remain in the draft
Quote:

Corey Liuget?

He'll be long gone by 27
Wow ... Redskins pass on Gabbert too. Jacksonville takes him.
Not if the OL grade out below the DL.

Plus, I think that the front office legitimately likes 4 of our projected OL starters ..... and I think they might look to free agency to add another RT/RG candidate to compete with Pashos and back up Lauvoa.
your probably right wojo but this is a funky draft so far. here's to hoping...
Not to wish ill fortune on anyone, but if Matt Ryan gets hurt this season...uh
Quote:

Not to wish ill fortune on anyone, but if Matt Ryan gets hurt this season...uh

THERE HAS BEEN A TRADE .... The Atlanta Falcons trade their #1, #2, #4 picks this year, and #1, #4 next year ... for Clevelands #1 pick and the Madden Curse.
Quote:

Corey Liuget? at 27

I would soil myself in our newly acquired Falcons under-wear.
What did Washington get from J-ville?
Possibly 5 QBs in the 1st round? That could help us tremendously.

If QBs start going .. maybe Arizona panics a little and wants to make a trade with us ........
Quote:

Quote:

Corey Liuget? at 27

I would soil myself in our newly acquired Falcons under-wear.

Hahahaha!
Wow Houston taking Watt? I mean I guess it makes sense since they are switching to a 3-4 but didn't see that one coming.
I thought they might go CB there.

They do need defensive help damn near everywhere though.
Kind of suprised Prince is falling this far....
Shouldn't fall any further than Detroit.
Quote:

I thought they might go CB there.

They do need defensive help damn near everywhere though.

Yeah I was thinking CB or rush linebacker there was a lock.
Quote:

Forgot about him ...
I'm thinking that with our new slots that Carimi's gotta be a BROWN by the end of the night.... who else we get, I dunno; probably a DE like Adrian Clayborn, or perhaps a Safety like Aaron Williams.
What to do, what to do.....

Another Summer Shandy, or move to Blue Moon.....choices, choices....
Vikings and Detroit are desperate to trade down ... I say we give them a #1 this year, and a fourth rounder next year.
Quote:

Quote:

Forgot about him ...

given Heckert's hard-on for d-backs, I wouldn't be surprised if we trade up for prince.
Holy reach Batman
Whoa!

Love the QBs going!
Personally I would like to see Cameron Heywood get selected by the Browns.
WOWWW. I really, really like Ponder.

But man is that a bad fit.
Ponder to Minny???????

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
Keep pushing those good players down baby!!
Can always count on the Vikes to do something fun during the draft.

Wow ... a tad bit early there!
Is it possible that Bowers or Quinn fall to us? Or do we trade up?
this is nutty!
Anthony Castonzo
Corey Liuget
Cameron Jordan
Robert Quinn
Nick Fairley
Mohammed Wilkerson
Mike Pouncey
Ryan Kerrigan
Adrian Clayborn
Nate Solder
Daquan Bowers
Mark Ingram
Derek Sherrod
Aaron Williams
Kyle Rudolph
Phil Taylor
Gabe Carimi
Akeem Ayers
Justin Houston
Cam Heyward
Brandon Harris
Prince Amukamara
4 Qb's in the top 12! Didn't see that coming.

Better players slipping to the Browns!
Heckert is a genius!
Quote:

Is it possible that Bowers or Quinn fall to us? Or do we trade up?

Forgot about Quinn too ....

Comeon! Andy Dalton wants to play guys! DraftDraftDraft
Suh and Fairly together?!?!? YIKES

Fairly was another one of those guys that was slotted around #1 before the workouts
The Lions have one scary DL now.
Quote:

Quote:

Suh and Fairly together?!?!? YIKES

Genius....I think Suh's dominance will push Fairley and help him to be that BOOM player and not bust....
Well Mooch thinks it's a perfect fit. I still don't.

But he's a smart dude so i'll have to wait and see I guess.

They may be a west coast offense but they have been pretty vertical with it. Because that's what Rice excels at.
Dude.

Vanden Bosch, Suh....Fairley. Nice. Real nice.
Yup, this draft is working out great. Heckert trades back, and teams start reaching for QBs. Genius!
Quote:

The Lions have one scary DL now.

Ya....but he didn't look too happy about Detroit picking him. I thought right away that maybe Suh could get the most of our Fairley since he's one of the baddest mad in the NFL.....but man, I'd be nervous about Nick. Seems like a bad seed.
Quote:

Yup, this draft is working out great. Heckert trades back, and teams start reaching for QBs. Genius!

Genius might be a stretch. But it sure is nice watching a draft and feeling like we got alot instead of giving alot for a trade.
2 of the (once) top DEs are still in play too .... both Quinn and Bowers ... not to mention Jordan and Kerrigan.

Oh, and Prince Amukamara is still there too.

I like the way this is trending so far ........
That is a scary line.

Christian Ponder just went " Yay! I'm goin' to Minny! What?.... Oh, crap.
Quote:

Quote:

Genius might be a stretch. But it sure is nice watching a draft and feeling like we got alot instead of giving alot for a trade.

+1

Let's wait to see if we move up and/or who we end up selecting. We have lots of holes and there are still quite a few picks for #27.
Here comes the run on DL though ...
Quote:

Ya....but he didn't look too happy about Detroit picking him. I thought right away that maybe Suh could get the most of our Fairley since he's one of the baddest mad in the NFL.....but man, I'd be nervous about Nick. Seems like a bad seed.

Yep. Exactly why he went from 2nd to off my board.
There goes Quinn ..... a LOT lower than many expected.
I like Kerrigan. With the way things are going, could he possibly be there tomorrow.
Still some interesting names out there for us.
Perhaps .... but I doubt he gets by the 3-4 teams at the bottom of the 1st round.
Quote:

Still a long way to go before they get to us though.
Quote:

Quote:

I like dalton... I think he may end up being best QB from this draft.
I bet that Washington or Miami go QB.
someone we like at 17 and we give up our first and the late 2nd
How can you say moves are genius, until we see how the players we draft pan out?

Same with "grading" drafts, grade the draft 3 years later
Quote:

Quote:

Still a long way to go before they get to us though.

You're killing my buzz, bro!
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Oh, I agree....I like him a lot too. But the more teams keep reaching to QB's the more DL/DB/OL/WR talent drop to us.
Quote:

My bad ... they should all be available when we pick

.... and Arizona will trade us Peterson for Eric Wright and our 4th.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

In the interviews with Dalton, he seemed like a tool...not sure he projects NFL QB confidence and moxy...
Glad Pouncey didn't go to B-more or Pitt
Wow! The Dolphins go with a Guard?

I was getting worried that he might fall to the Steelers. lol
My bet is Washington goes Liuget or Jordan. I don't think they go QB here
Went even higher than Mike Iupati did last year and Alex Mack the year before.
Quote:

Quote:

My bad ... they should all be available when we pick

.... and Arizona will trade us Peterson for Eric Wright and our 4th.

Money!
Quote:

Glad Pouncey didn't go to B-more or Pitt

You got that Right Bro!!! Go Brownies!!!!
I see the Redskins almost having to go QB here.

Could be 6 go in the 1st round. That would be tremendous for us.
Quote:

I see the Redskins almost having to go QB here.

Could be 6 go in the 1st round. That would be tremendous for us.

Yeah ... too bad they didn't go in picks 1-5.
I see 2 big talents with 2 big ? marks falling to us, but wonder if the risk is worth the reward.

And Prince is still falling.....he'll never make it to us.
DAMNIT! They are talking to Kerrigan.
Wow! Kerrigan went before a lot of higher rated guys.
There went Kerrigan. Damn
Daquan Bowers and Jimmy Smith?
Wow... do we start thinking about moving up and getting Bowers, Jordan, or Prince?
Trade up to Prince!
Quote:

Trade up to Prince!

We have the ammo to do it. I think we should for sure.
Cam Jordan is still there .... and I like him a lot.
If the rumors were right about New England wanting to trade up to get Cameron Jordan, looks like they won't have to...
I wish they would go another way .... but I'm afraid they won't.
Quote:

Daquan Bowers and Jimmy Smith?

Yeah, those were the 2. Smith is a good talent, but some questions with him. Bowers is falling because of injury issues. He is potentially a top 5 pick, but do you wanna risk it with the health concerns? They are saying at least one team totally scratched him off the board.
Quote:

If the rumors were right about New England wanting to trade up to get Cameron Jordan, looks like they won't have to...

And the rich get richer ... again.

They seem to have the right strategy ... stock pile picks, get a first rounder right in the #15-25 range and take whoever falls.
hmmmmm
There goes another potential pick if we were thinking OL.
This draft is
Wow!

They go OT.

Wouldn't it be great if we could somehow get Jordan right before the Pats ...... OR take their #28 and maybe a 2nd and/or 3rd to move down 1 spot?
I think Jordon goes to SD right here ... the local media has been talking about taking him for awhile now if he fell to them.
I've been wrong for about 15 straight picks, but I think they HAVE to go defense and specifically d-line
I wonder if Amukmara goes to the Chargers?
can you imagine the emotional roller coaster that ponder just had??????

Ponder: Sweet I just got drafted in the first!!!!!! $$$$$$$$

Agent: Lions just took nick fairly......

Ponder: FML
Or Liuget ... they need DL.
I think the fact that DL is sliding helps us trenemdously.

Teams see premiere DL falling and are going in different directions.
Well, they go Liuget.

That's OK though.
Things are going well so far for us. So far.
Luiget going to San Diego sucks. And just as I started typing this Mayock proves my point.

Luiget is ten times the player in the 4-3 than he will be in the 3-4. That is one of those picks that depresses me because the guy can't maximize his potential.

I personally think had Luiget gone to a 4-3 he would have had as good a year as Fairley and Dareus or better.
yup.
8 more of the following will go (add in Mallet and Dalton) and we'll get our pick of one of them...

Prince Amukamara
Anthony Castonzo
Cameron Jordan
Mohammed Wilkerson
Adrian Clayborn
Daquan Bowers
Mark Ingram
Derek Sherrod
Aaron Williams
Kyle Rudolph
Phil Taylor
Gabe Carimi
Akeem Ayers
Justin Houston
Cam Heyward
Brandon Harris
Stephen Paea
Marvin Austin
Brooks Reed
Jimmy Smith
Mikel Lashoure
Danny Watkins
Jabaal Sheard
Martez Wilson
Christian Ballard
I hope the Giants take Ingram.Tampa might go with Akakumura(sp).
Did Princes agent just mouth Detroit?

*edit*
Guess not.
Jeez, I think Prince's lips are bigger than Haden's ears.
Wow. I'm kinda shocked that they went CB ... but they might have picked the best remaining player.
DAMMIT!

I don't understand why we wouldn't move to get this guy.

I hate this.
Doodoo caca.

Well, I never thought he'd fall to us, so I dunno why I'm upset. Great pick.
If Bowers is there @ 27 I think we have to pull the trigger.
Maybe because we like the stockpile we have right now, and see a TON of talent falling at DL.
Stick with the board....Players are falling...as I said earlier, I wouldn't be suprised to see the Browns trade down again
The procedure to have Wright's head removed from his arse must have been a success.

He must be ahead of schedule.
Quote:

Maybe because we like the stockpile we have right now, and see a TON of talent falling at DL.

Exactly
If they trade down again i'm going to throw my t.v out of the window, followed by an elbow drop.
Yep, still got Bowers, Jordan, and Phil Taylor available yet.
We have Wright and Sheldon Brown ..... plus 2 2nds and 2 4ths ......

I think we'll see another CB ..... just not here.
Quote:

Yep, still got Bowers, Jordan, and Phil Taylor available yet.

With 7 picks to go......
Also Carimi at RT would be Sweet!!!
j/c

liked the trade when I first saw it. liking it more now with the DL/DBs dropping.

favorite pick so far is Detroit. dang, that's one heck of a combo with Suh/Fairley.

or maybe my favorite is 4 QBs going with Dalton and Kaepernick rumored to be late 1st round guys. more QBs picked means more people falling to us.
Well I told ya guys ... here goes the run on DL. Hope SOMETHING is left.
Anthony Castonzo anyone? Excellent work ethic. Can play just about anywhere on the O-line. Would be an excellent compliment to my man Joe T. Depending on which "expert" you listen to, he's the top O-lineman in the draft.

Comments?
Clayborn to Tampa Bay.
here go's Cam Jordan I bet.
my guess is Justin Houston for the Browns....just a hunch
nah, we could get Houstn in the second
I would love to find out that Holmgren is the one who threw out the rumors about Bowers knees and it was a hoax to get him this late in the 1st
Could be.

We're still gonna get some major help with the 2 second rounders to go with #27.
Wonder why Cameron Jordan is falling?

Some had 10 ten pick after the bowls and around the Senior Bowl
Quote:

nah, we could get Houstn in the second

Maybe even the third.
hmmmmmm...we traded up?
Cleveland's on the clock?

Jordan?
BROWNS on the clock ... here we go.
we traded up!!!!!!!!!!!
We're on the clock
WE ON THE CLOCK
Phil Taylor.

Wow! He's a BIG boy.

He's gonna make the inside of our DL monstrous!
Phil Taylor
Phil Taylor?!?
Phil Taylor....not excited, but not suprised
I kinda like him next to Rubin inside.

Running against us just got harder.

He cost us a 3rd.
Ummmm.......? Never heard of him. Are we a 3-4 or a 4-3, I'm confused.
I like it.
Gave up a lot...I would have thought a 4 but a 3?
Peyton to make the pick!
Quote:

Ummmm.......? Never heard of him. Are we a 3-4 or a 4-3, I'm confused.

so am I.
doh! gave up a 3rd to move up and take a non pass rusher?

i like phil taylor a bit, but not more than jordan.
Ham Sandwhich announcing a large side of beef.

Haven't heard much of this guy, but he looks like one heck of a space eater.
now that was anticlimactic
And was it really neccessary to trade up? Seriously?
Thats a darn big man! He's a mean looking cat too!
Put him next to Rubin and teams are gonna have one heck of a time trying to run up the middle on us.
I think we must have caught wind that the Saints wanted Taylor and traded up to get him.

Giving up a 3rd too much?
Quote:

Honestly ... you don't want your DT sacking the QB. You want him staying home, being disciplined, and blowing up the run game. That was the big knock on Shaun Rogers ... he was big and feirce, but he would get out of position trying to get to the QB and open up holes for the run. The early reports on Taylor ... he seems to fit the bill well.
I really don't get that one. I mean he must be pretty high on our board for them to move up but man there were some better players on the board I thought.

Who knows maybe we gab a shocker in the 2nd.
I think the Colts were looking at him too.
shocked we didn't rake Cam Jordan!?!? I don't get it. Taylor I think will be good, but with Rubin already there to help stop the run, why don't we get a pass rush?
Quote:

Ham Sandwhich announcing a large side of beef.

Haven't heard much of this guy, but he looks like one heck of a space eater.

hope he has one heckuva lot more stamina then Rogers.

Nice pick, 50/50 if he would have been there @ 27, so I think the trade up was good as well. Wasn't overly costly, imo.
I would have gone Jordan ...... but hopefully Heckert knows a LOT more than me. lol

I can definitely see the Taylor reasoning. The AFCN is a power run division ... and combining him with Rubin inside should help stuff the run.

Plus, if they can add a pass rushing DE with 1 of their 2nd rounders, they could have 2 guys capable of collapsing the pocket, and Rubin should be a force as a DT pass rusher.

The could be well on their way to building a powerful DL.

I see the reasoning. I don't think I would have gone with him there ...... but let's hope for the very best.
Umm..ok
Quote:

I think we must have caught wind that the Saints wanted Taylor and traded up to get him.

Yup....I'm a bit disapponited. But hey, maybe they know something we don't. He'll eat up a lot of space, that's for sure.
Well a draft site I frequent says he is a 2nd or 3rd round prospect. It also says he has medical red flags because he has bones growing together in his feet that can't be corrected.
Quote:

And was it really neccessary to trade up? Seriously?

X2....this is the player that the browns needed? Trust in the front office I must...HUH?
He's a bad man.

I love the pick. We need trenches guys. You can't fire your d-line and not retool there. He will make us forget the ever-disappointing Big Baby for a long time.

Love this guy.
Quote:

I don't think so. With the extra 4th, I think we will trade back up in the 3rd. Maybe they saw a little Rubin in this guy! He turned out ok. JMHO Go Brownies!!!
Peyton Manning has to be HAPPY right now.
In a 3-4 this is true but in a 4-3 you usually have more athletic fast 1 gaps on the inside. We just took a 3-4 NT. ????? We have zero pass rush and need 4-3 edge and speed speed and more speed. We did not get just get faster.
I think he'd have been there at 27. I'll read the rest online in the a.m. have fun.
I would have liked to just sit tight......Draft value for an inconsistent player is head scratching
Quote:

Quote:

Honestly ... you don't want your DT sacking the QB. You want him staying home, being disciplined, and blowing up the run game. That was the big knock on Shaun Rogers ... he was big and feirce, but he would get out of position trying to get to the QB and open up holes for the run. The early reports on Taylor ... he seems to fit the bill well.

i wanted a DE who could get to the QB there, not a DT. but this is not a bad pick.
It would not surprise me to see us go DE with our 1st Second round pick.
yes we could go d end in the 2nd, but why not go with Jordan now and hope Paea drops to you in the 2nd.

Maybe Roth and Benard will be our 2 DEs?
Quote:

In a 3-4 this is true but in a 4-3 you usually have more athletic fast 1 gaps on the inside. We just took a 3-4 NT. ????? We have zero pass rush and need 4-3 edge and speed speed and more speed. We did not get just get faster.

following the minny 4-3 blueprint is my only explanation. that's not a horrible plan by any means.
maybe we're thinking that...

Cameron Jordan or Daquan Bowers will be available when we pick in the 2nd round? or we could give up not that much to get back into the first or early(er?) 2nd to get one of them two...? or Christian Ballard?

or jimmy Smith or Ras-I Dowling
Hmmmm. I don't like the trade up. Chance for him to drop, and there were some other names up there that probably would have been available at 27. Rather have kept the picks, but still a void. Dunno.
I don't think anyone thinks Cam Jordon or Bowers is going to be around much longer.
I'm willing to go along with Heckert .....

I'm concerned .... he wasn't the guy I would have gone with ...... but Heckert has said all along that he thinks that he can find 4-3 DEs in the 2nd and later rounds.

We'll see how it all washes out. I think Heckert bought himself some major credit with last year's draft ... I'm willing to see how his picks this year do.
I'm quite confused myself. I just have faith in Heckert I guess. I don't really know about the guy. I wanted Costanzo or Gabe Carimi. I wanted to stay where we were more than that though.

If we were going D-Line how about Cam Jordan or Bowers?

But yeah, I'm definitely upset about this pick. But I've always said that Tom Heckert is one of the best things that happened to us, so I'll have faith in Heckert. May be he knows something I don't. This Phil Taylor could be a beast
Having trouble finding any film to justify this pick,
3 random NFL draft scout websites had him going 2, 3-4th or 4th rounds

I guess you can't believe eveyyhing ou read on the Internet?
I agree but theyve both been around this long...why not a little longer
faith in heckert is tempered by his DL drafting in philly. it has been his weak spot.
I remember thinking "who the hell is TJ Ward?" last year. He certainly turned out OK.

If Heckert liked Taylor enough to burn a 3rd, I think we should be fine with the pick.

Might as well give the guy a chance before we question whether or not he's worth it.
Saints have to go RB here. Ingram is a perfect fit ... and a HUGE need.

I wonde if we might trade down in the 2nd round tomorrow. lol I bet we look into it.
Draft guru's aside, it's a complete head-scratcher to me.

I'm actually just kinda thinking about it like
in my draft book he was rated right behind Corey liuget at DT.
Just some info......Jauron had both Ted Washington and Keith Traylor together when he was at Chicago in 2001 and they ended up with 2nd rated run defense that year.
Wow, Cam Jordan to New Orleans.

Huge value ..... but I think that RB was a much, much bigger need.
Jordan is gone now...to the Saints. That makes a tough DL there...Jordan and Will Smith...solid DEs
I really think all these teams must know something about Bowers that we do not, otherwise I cannot think of any reason why he is still on the board.
Quote:

Just some info......Jauron had both Ted Washington and Keith Traylor together when he was at Chicago in 2001 and they ended up with 2nd rated run defense that year.

that's some beef in the middle. The pick makes more sense.
Quote:

I really think all these teams must know something about Bowers that we do not, otherwise I cannot think of any reason why he is still on the board.

Ton of questions about his knee. Lots of conflicting info on the injury.

Couple that with only 1 year of production and a lot of teams took him off their board in round 1.
Quote:

They probably remember Courtney Brown.

You hear even potential microfracture and that's scary for a guy with his power in his legs.
Quote:

I'm having a similar video viewing experience.
Quote:

Jauron had both Ted Washington and Keith Traylor together when he was at Chicago in 2001 and they ended up with 2nd rated run defense that year.

Sweet. When we go back in time and play in the NFL when it was actually a rushing league we'll be sitting pretty. Definitely worth a 3rd.
Quote:

They probably remember Courtney Brown.

Thats funny that you mention that because the first two players that come to my mind when you mention Nick Fairley and DaQuan Bowers are Gerrard Warren and Courtney Brown.
Quote:

Quote:

I'm having a similar video viewing experience.

Scary.
For all the losing this year, to end up with Phil Taylor as your only 1st round pick, it's kind of disappointing.

Most of the big websites had Phil Taylor as a late first round pick and I had him going to New England at #28 but b/c of the scheme issues, the trade of the 3 round pick, not getting Peterson/Green, it's not a good day
Wow .... there's a heavy reach by the SeaHags.
First i heard of him being this high is when I looked at Pro Football Weekly and they had him as the #32 player overall....beauty is in the eye of the beholder
Ravens passed?????????.
The Ravens passed?
Quote:

The Ravens passed?

wierdness. Oz is a really good GM.
Baltimore pulled a Viking!!! LOL Missed their pick! LMAO
since when does ozzie mess up at the draft?
They didn't pass ... they traded their pick to the chiefs for slotted salary relief.
I would just like to go one draft without the steelers drafting a buckeye.

Quote:

They didn't pass ... they traded their pick to the chiefs for slotted salary relief.

i don't think the Ravens were taking Baldwin, so you are correct sir.
well there went Baldwin. I was hoping to get him in the 2nd.
Saints trade up ...... have to be going Ingram.

Wow, excellent draft for the Saints already.
We have 3 4th round picks now, don't we?
i think just two 4th round pics,
so 2 two's
no three's
2 four's
1 five
2 six's
i don't think we have a seven
we have a compensatory pick at the end of the 7th
Quote:

i think just two 4th round pics,
so 2 two's
no three's
2 four's
1 five
2 six's
i don't think we have a seven

We have a compensatory 7th.
oh yeah i forgot about those, thanks guys.
We got a compensatory 7th.

According to the PD we have:

37- 2nd
59 - 2nd
102 - 4th
124 - 4th
137 - 5th
168 - 6th
170 -6th
248 -7th
#37 pick

1. Carimi
2. Heyward
3. Houston
4. Harris
5. Cobb or Torrey Smith (I'm leaning Cobb recently)
6. Aaron Williams
Quote:

#37 pick

1. Carimi...

Way to jinx it.
Quote:

Quote:

#37 pick

1. Carimi...

Way to jinx it.

making sure Pitt didn't get him.
Quote:

Quote:

#37 pick

1. Carimi...

Way to jinx it.

Dude! Knock it off!

Gotta keep it to yourself.
Stoolers just picked heyward, those crappers.
Quote:

Way to jinx it.
Of course.
Quote:

I am so freaking pissed
Packers take Sherrod. Who looks good for rd#2? Go Brownies!!!
I'm still thinking it'll be a wr in the 2nd.

Why I haven't thrown what I speculate out the window, I have no idea....

No more 3rd founder . . .
Quote:

Quote:

I am so freaking pissed

The Steelers have said for years the Buckeyes run the closest thing to the Steelers system in College football.....They look hard at OSU guys every year.

HACK
I think he'll be better for you than Vrabel or Holmes ever was.
Anyone have an updated list of our picks/the number they are?

My iPod touch is not helping me now

NM 2 2nd rd picks 37 and 59 overall. I've though it over, I dont like giving up the 3rd to move up 4 spots
i really like the pick, especially because I think they punked baltimore with the pick. Who is Baltimore going to pick every year? answer, is there a nose tackle who is 360+ that is the pick.

There are still alot of defensive tackles worth the #37 pick there are alot of DT's I like this year including Paea and Austin.

Who were the top 3 afc north trench players? Pouncey, Carimi, Taylor ?

Can he run a sweep behind Hillis and Vickers' lead blocks boom boom boom!
There is nothing or about this pick, it is a safe solid pick.

But it doesn't fix the offense.
------------ 5( 4) new picks, one player, one problem at a time good job !
But it doesn't fix the offense, Don't forget the offense Mike, Heck !
Quote:

following the minny 4-3 blueprint is my only explanation. that's not a horrible plan by any means.

This is what I was thinking as well when I heard on the radio at work who we picked. We just got a young Pat Williams.
© DawgTalkers.net