Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
L
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
L
With the draft only Five days away and with so many Threads and Mocks..It seems there is no where to post Thoughts about the draft that Remain on topic. This Thread can be used for those Random thoughts and discussion including Draft Day. I was thinking I am starting to get bad thoughts about Some things that could happen.

What if Green and Peterson are gone with our pick?
I do not think Quinn is worth the 6th pick..my personal opinion but Not playing last year and the fact he recorded sacks in bunches against lesser competition really scares me.
Bowers being Hurt and Fairly being Aloof really hurt our chances of have the pick of the litter.

I wish the draft would go like this
1)Dareus
2)Quinn
3)Newton
4)Gabbert
5)Miller
6)Pick of the Litter

I think the draft will go like this
1)Newton
2)Dareus
3)Miller
4)Green
5)Peterson
6)???

At that point maybe we should hope that we can slide out of the spot..Hope someone will come up to get Gabbert or Jones. I wouldn't be opposed to taking Carimi, Watt, etc. further down.

Things I hope..
Carolina realizes they used a high selection on Clausen last year and Have Moore.

Denver Is not sure Dummervill will be Healthy and look at the sorry Sack numbers without him.

Buffalo realizes they are a team that needs Cam Newton for more reasons than he needs them..Sell tickets and a face of this franchise..

Cinci realizes the realistic possibility that Palmer will not play and is getting older and need to address this for the just in case now and the future.

Arizona realizes their #1 need is a OLB and their #1B need is a QB.

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
Legend
Legend
I don't know about anyone else but I'm ticked that the draft is on the NFLN which I don't get... I'm thankful that we can watch it online, but since my wife usually uses the computer at night I'm going to have to fight to watch it...

<><

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
It's also on ESPN. As it always is.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

It's also on ESPN. As it always is.

ah thought I read that it was exclusive on NFLN this year.. my bad... please return to your regularly scheduled thread

<><

#gmstrong
L
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
L
Only on Thursday is it on ESPN. The next two days are on NFLN only which stinks. I'll listen on the radio and have my laptop going at full capacity.

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If Green and Peterson are both gone and Dareus and Miller are both gone then at one of the top 2 qb's will be available for our pick. And while I never advocate taking a Qb nor do I suspect that the Browns would take a Qb at #6 this would sure make for some good trade fodder. Especially with SF having the next pick and a need for a Qb. Can we get Washington's 1st next year to exchange 1st round picks this year? How about next year's 1st and a 3rd from Minnesota? Maybe SF gives us a 3rd to make sure that they get their Qb. What would Tennessee offer up?

Make you feel a little bit better?

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
L
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
L
Sure it does, Some teams might pass on a QB knowing they might be in line to have a chance at Luck next year...I would put Cinci in that group..Marvin will be gone and Cinci will be picking high with a bad year..New Coach..New QB. Kolb will fill another teams Vacant spot and Orton might be out with Tebow taking over this year or next. Wonder if teams are figuring in to getting a QB via trade once labor dispute is over.

R
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
R
My DirecTV guide says ESPNU is carrying the 2nd and 3rd day of the draft.

L
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
L
My mistake. Sorry, I misread it earlier..Thanks for pointing that out.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
If you still have cable TV, then it's your own damned fault.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Mine too but I'll be watching it on NFL Network anyway.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
My Guide has it on ESPN from 5-7 and ESPN2 from 7-9 on Friday, and then ESPN on Saturday from 11-7.

Unfortunately I have to work Thursday and Friday nights. I will probably be recording NFLN then though.

LIbertatem Defendimus!!

2010 Dawgtalkers NCAA Bracket Challenge Champ!!
Legend
Legend
214 lives in DFW, though, which is central time zone. I think I'll be leaving work 15 min early on Friday.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
I think this is our big board:

1) AJ Green
2) Patrick Peterson
3) Marcell Dareus
4) Von Miller
5) Nick Fairly
6) Julio Jones

With Colt McCoy getting the WRs together and with everyone in Berea saying Colt McCoy is our QB I honestly do not think Gabbert or Newton is in our top 10.

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I don't think Miller is in our top list... Heckert tried to hide that he doesn't think much of him in the press conference, but he's no poker player.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
I think we are relatively weak at linebacker if allowed to Blitz in a 4-3 attacking style I think he could be very effective. However, if we end up playing a tampa 2 style then we would be wasting Von Millers talent.

Anyone look at Scott Wrights mock draft recently? He has us drafting the entire UNC team....Seriously. He has the browns drafting Robert Quinn, Marvin Austin, and Greg Little. Is Butch Davis our GM?

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I would think that our top 5 goes something like this .....

1) Dareus
2) Peterson
3) Fairly
4) Green
5) Miller

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Quote:

I think this is our big board:

1) AJ Green
2) Patrick Peterson
3) Marcell Dareus
4) Von Miller
5) Nick Fairly
6) Julio Jones

With Colt McCoy getting the WRs together and with everyone in Berea saying Colt McCoy is our QB I honestly do not think Gabbert or Newton is in our top 10.

I sure hope they don't pick Peterson or Any Defensive back if they stay at 6

I'd rather they take a chance on a Brady Quinn clone which may pan out the 2nd time, so yes I'm saying I'd rather they draft Gabbert or Newton, 2 qb's I don't know anything about other than Peterson who I know is a db.

in 2011, because of who they took in 2010, I'm saying Any Qb is better than investing a 1st rd pick on another Db!

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

I sure hope they don't pick Peterson or Any Defensive back if they stay at 6

Yeah...Let's pass on who many have rated as the #1 or #2 player in this draft...

We gotta take Peterson if he's there...Lockdown the outside and don't worry about it anymore...Then build up the interior of the line and get that Pass Rusher...

This D could be Top 10 in 2 years...

Go Browns!!!
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
With Haden, Peterson and Ward back there, I think you could rightfully say that it improves to be within the Top 5 virtually overnight and they could very well be together for a long, long time!

If Peterson is there and the Browns don't draft him, then I'm not a happy Browns fan. If they trade down, it had better be to SF to select whichever CB they don't take (either Peterson or Amukamara) and to get SF 2nd this year or next years 1st rounder.

I might be persuaded to think that would be acceptable. That would still potentially get us a Top 5 defensive backfield for a long, long time and give us another high quality selection either this year or next.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I am now less-inclined to get a WR at #6.
We probably should go 'D' and I have warmed to the idea of another top corner with that pick. A trade down sounds intriguing, also.

Other Random Thoughts: this year's draft kinda snuck up on me. I haven't looked forward to is as I usually do.

I wish they'd do two rounds on Thursday night.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
If Peterson is not there, I don't want to go Prince... Peterson is quite possibly the best player in the draft.. after him, then we need DE or WR.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
L
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
L
I agree, although I started a Mock last week. I got to pick 17 and then I forgot what site I was on. With this labor dispute and lack of free agency, it took some of the luster away.

Wondering if the new players will be allowed to do Press conferences and work out at the facility considering they are not currently in a dispute until under contract.

I did see Scott Wrights Mock and was going to post something yesterday..Three NC players in the first three rounds..Never happen Scott.

L
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

I am now less-inclined to get a WR at #6.
We probably should go 'D' and I have warmed to the idea of another top corner with that pick. A trade down sounds intriguing, also.

Other Random Thoughts: this year's draft kinda snuck up on me. I haven't looked forward to is as I usually do.

I wish they'd do two rounds on Thursday night.

I wish the draft started on Friday night and finished on Sunday..

I am reserved to thinking Peterson or Green or Jones or trade up or down.
Not high on Quinn at all. and the only other player worthy of the 6th pick is Fairly..So I think of Sean Rodgers..I know he could take over a game and block kicks..What impact did he really have though? We had losing records in all of his years here except one. Our Defense still ranked in the bottom..Do I think Fairly will be as good...Not sure, but Braylons presence as a Receiver had more of an impact than Rodgers did..that was obvious last year.

I would be upset with Quinn or Prince at that Pick..I watched tape on Prince and seeing Blackmon Own him was enough for me..It looked like a man against a boy..But I don't get paid to make evaluations..for good reasons..

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
If I had to make a big board it'd look something like this:

#1. AJ Green- Its no secret that our two biggest needs are WR and DL/Pass Rush. I give AJ Green the nod over Marcel Dareus simply because this is a deep DL draft and very good talent can be had in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. After Green and Jones its a bit of a fall to the next tier of WR. That being said Green looks like a sure thing, dont see much bust potential. If he can give us a legit #1 WR threat it will only go on to help Robiskie and MoMass and give McCoy a legit target.

#2. Marcel Dareus- No way will he still be on the board when we pick but if he is still there, Green is the only player I take before him and even then its a struggle. He is a dominant D-lineman who is capable of not only stuffing the run but rushing the passer as well. He's not on Suh's level like last year but he will be a VERY good player to whoever takes him.

#3. Patrick Peterson- Though we picked Haden last year, some say the most important position to find is a good cornerback. You pick Peterson and you essentially can forget about CB for years to come and focus on strengthening other aspects of this team. Many boards have him as the #1 player overall. Some say hes more of an athlete than corner, others say hes the next Deion Sanders (field-playwise). The kid is raw and will only get better. My only concern would be in 5 years or so when Haden and Peterson would be FA's, would the Browns have enough money to keep both.

#4 Julio Jones- I would put Von Miller here but our lack of a true #1 wideout absolutely killed the offense last season. No one could get separation so they just started focusing on the TE's and Hillis. While I don't think he's quite on par with Green and there are concerns regarding his foot, I still believe Jones is going to be a great WR in the NFL. We need a wideout plain and simple, so much that even though Miller may be ranked higher, the need is greater. Besides, after this the next to WR's I here coming off the board are Leonard Hankerson or Randall Cobb, again a far cry from Green and Jones.

#5. Von Miller- I cant put my finger on it but theres something about Miller I don't like. I think he's a better fit for the 3-4 defense and I've heard some concerns about his pass coverage ability. His pass rush would still be very welcome but in a 4-3 the linebackers are relied in coverage more often than pass rush. He'll still be a very good player and I would not have any problem taking him.

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

If Peterson is not there, I don't want to go Prince... Peterson is quite possibly the best player in the draft.. after him, then we need DE or WR.

I understand your desire for either DL or WR if Peterson is gone but I caution you that a trade down could possibly net you both Prince and another selection to be used on that DL or WR that you want.

There are more WRs in this draft than A.J. Green or Julio Jones. There are DL that are quite capable whose names aren't at the top of the list either. Prince Amukamara is a Top 10 selection and we are in the Top 10.

Now, I ask you why so many mock drafts (by the so-called experts) have Cam Newton as the #1? Is he the best player? Does Carolina need to draft a QB #1 after selecting one in the 2nd round last year (the coaching change doesn't matter). If I were a betting man (but I'm not), I think that Rivera will be going defense with the #1 pick (or looking to trade down - if only a couple spots).

Looking at the teams picking in the Top 5, I see 3 teams that could use a QB, but they are numbered 3 (Buffalo), 4 (Cincy) and 5 (Arizona). I could see all of them taking a QB with their 1st round selections but I could also see them passing on it and waiting until the 2nd round.

Despite popular belief, a team's starting QB doesn't have to be a 1st round selection. Look no further than the Browns.

In any case, it'll be interesting to watch it play out but I would be happy with either Peterson or Amukamara. I prefer Peterson, but if I'm making the selection and Peterson is gone but Amukamara is there, I've got a card with Amukamara's name on it waiting to be handed in - but I'm fielding offers for the #6 selection although only serious inquiries would be considered.

L
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

in 2011, because of who they took in 2010, I'm saying Any Qb is better than investing a 1st rd pick on another Db!

I just don't think that is Heckerts style. If he has Patrick Peterson as the Highest rated player on his board and he is there at 6 I believe he takes him. That is a value pick and arguably The safest pick in the draft..Too much to pass up. I can see him trading back into the first or second round if another player dropped within striking distance such as a Cameron Heyward or Daquan Bowers..

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

I just don't think that is Heckerts style. If he has Patrick Peterson as the Highest rated player on his board and he is there at 6 I believe he takes him. That is a value pick and arguably The safest pick in the draft..Too much to pass up. I can see him trading back into the first or second round if another player dropped within striking distance such as a Cameron Heyward or Daquan Bowers..

And this is why I've had this Throw Long character on my ignore for awhile...........

The guys that I'm interested in are:
- AJ Green (I need a new Browns Jersey, I'm not sold on McCoy (yet) and I've seen Green play a lot. I look at the guy, and he's the real deal to me. A sure-fire pick. Great hands and he's quick. He's a big guy with jump ball ability and should be our TD go-to guy. He'd be a huge asset to our offense

- Patrick Peterson: I've seen this guy play a few times. He's a guy who's hard not to notice. He's aggressive and good against the run, and he plays very good coverage. Big and agile, and he's been tested against some of the top competition this country offers.

I'm not sure I'm as high on him as I was on Joe Haden (my number two guy last year behind Eric Berry). But if he can be as good as Joe, that's an awesome pick and we should send that card in right away.

- Prince Anumukara (or whatever): Haven't seen him play. But people say the guy is better in man-to-man coverage than Peterson. He's gotten plenty of experience and is a star. I love hearing about guys who can D up really well man to man. They tend to be tough, aggressive, in your face defensive backs. Leigh Bodden was awesome at man-to-man coverage. So is Darrelle Revis.

Joe Haden is really good in man-to-man coverage too. If we could leave our two CB's each on an island, then we have many more options for the rest of our defense. We can blitz more, do a better job defending the run and unleash TJ Ward

Some people have an issue going with corner, I have no problem with it. Sheldon Brown should start thinking about moving to safety, this became apparent to me last season when TO owned him. Eric Wright is still young, and he can be our Nickel. His play improved toward the end of the season. Sheldon Brown will only get worse. Moving to FS could pro-long Brown's career IMO. He just doesn't have the speed to stay at CB like Ty Law did and Charles Woodson is doing (plus those guys were/are much better than Brown)

- Robert Quinn: Don't know much about Robert Quinn, watched some highlights that make him look good. Of course, I'd love a highlight real of my greatest beach volleyball/paddle tennis plays: I'd look much better than I actually am. This guy I'm basing off of what other people say about him

- D'Qwann Bowers: Provided his knee is healthy, he looks pretty good to me (i've only seen highlights though). DE's don't have to be ridiculously quick, especially in the 4-3. Heckert talks about Trent Cole, but I watch the Giants and Justin Tuck/Michael Strahan/Osi Uminyora all are bigger DE's (Tuck also plays DT) and they all do/have done a great job at rushing the QB. We might be able to trade back a spot or two and get him also.

I like big guys who can support against the run. Bowers seems to be able to do that, along with rushing the pass. People say this knee thing has messed him up, but he's like 21. I'm 25 and I feel young. I don't get how people are gonna write off a guy who's 21 and say that he can't go back to normal. If our medical staff says he'll be okay, he sounds good to me

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
P
All Pro
All Pro
P
I say If Peterson is there... Take HIM!!! and keep him. But he wont be.
The kids a stud.

Prediction: We trade down with Dallas n grab Julio/Prince instead. I dont know the trade charts but their second this year and next years first with a later round pick this year N I'll be happy.

Also... Expect Bellicheck to be making moves on draft day. I think he's eyeing Peterson/Green

T
Legend
Legend
T
random thoughts! Mark Ingram!

It's 7 am, and my heart is overrulling my mind, but really my mind cannot find a downside. Suppose the pick WAS Mark Ingram, what's the downside?

Possible downside#1, you passed up the best RB this year and he turns into the next Tony Dorsett. No because this is taking him

#2, the QB isnt ready, No because Colt McCoy is as much of a hope as a pick of any of the Qb's this year

#3 Hey Hey TL, what about Peyton Hillis? so what, how is it a downside to have Another possible credible Factor Back?

#4 His bust potential? C'mon this player has been hyped on college boards for a long time, he won the Heisman TWO years ago , he has longevity,

#5 He's not wanted by others? Mike and Mike just said the Pats will probably get him, Hmm they don't know what they've been doing the last decade

#6 There's a better player at his position? GET Real , This year there is little top level talent at the offensive skilled positions and this guy is the clear #1 at Runningback

#7 He can't catch passes out of the backfield? So what, he's not trying to be Brian Westbrook, he's trying to be Marcus Allen, or Jerome Bettis, or Emmit Smith

Merry Christmas! It's draft day,

I dont' expect ANYONE, because Noone on this board has agreed in the past that RB is the most important, and the offense in general, I just know that every year there is a chance that you passed on the next Tony Dorsett, and nobody has commanded the league like he did since, except for Joe Montana and Montana did it with the system.

The Pro Football Hall of Fame is dominated by players at 2 positons on the football field
Running Back!
and Linebacker!

It's 7 am and the last 12 hours, I keep thinking Mark Ingram, Mark Ingram, man it would be great
I would be so Thrilled if Mark Ingram was the pick at #6 he may be the safest pick in this draft, he may be the next Marcus Allen, this may be a 12 year player in a league with a 4 year avg.

I'm saying the 2 Safest picks are this guy and maybe Phil Taylor

Mark Ingram, what is the downside?
He's not flashy enough, he's not superstar enough, he's gonna want too much money

Hillis' success would make INgram and Hillis Both better and more signable, plus provide for a reason to keep Vickers.

Rb's never get paid as much as Qb's anyway and having Hillis and even Hardesty on the roster would make this pick more likely not less likely to get into camp!

Having a camp battle is a good thing

The Cleveland Browns did trade up in 2010 to get Hardesty a runningback, and because of injury he produced zero in that season.
So the team has shown it is important.

Mark Ingram, I say the Safest pick, and Solid too, man can you imagine

It is just like all you other thinkers who want to solidify another side with a Peterson pick,
Just think how much an Ingram pick would solidify the Browns backfield.

We gotta get this guy? Why not!

I personally feel WORSE about the Browns passing up on a chance to pick Ingram with the #6 overall, and potentially leaving the next hall of fame RB, then I would feel if the do get him and they get Brady Quinn type production out of him the next 3 years.

short read: Can the Browns afford Not to draft Mark Ingram?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ive liked Ingram for a long time.

PP is the man though! You talk about the Dawgs revisited! Peterson and Haden, the new breed!

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Short answer: Yes

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

DOUBLE YES!!

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
And there are alot of concerns with Ingram's knee as well. I would fall out of my lazyboy if he was the pick at 6.

I'm not liking alot of final mocks..... Gabbert is sliding thru to 6 with Newton, von Miller, Dareus, Green and Peterson gone. That is worse case scenario for me, unless we can trade out of there to a QB hungry team. And if that is the case, it would work out nicely.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Who's gonna gather in the chat room and what time?

The actions faster in there!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Who's gonna gather in the chat room and what time?

The actions faster in there!

I was just gonna ask the same thing.

I have a b-ball game at 7 that will go until 8. I probably won't be home until 8:30 - 8:45, but I'm going to get in the chat room soon after that. Hopefully won't miss the Browns' pick (will be listening on the radio in the car, though).

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

DOUBLE YES!!

Triple Yes!

I mean anytime you can double-up at a position where your current starter is on the cover of Madden, how can you even think of not doing that though right? wait, what?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

DOUBLE YES!!

Triple Yes!

I mean anytime you can double-up at a position where your current starter is on the cover of Madden, how can you even think of not doing that though right? wait, what?

Oh hell yes.

We have a Pro Bowl caliber RB right now, along with a highly thought of guy returning from injury.

I could see us taking a 6th round "3rd down" back, but a 1st rounder ...? Not a chance. That would be idiotic. (Unless we wound up with 10 1st round picks ..... and even then it might still be idiotic)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Every team in the league can afford to pass up on Ingram in the first.

Legend
Legend
Just wondering if anyone was planning on being on the Dawgtalkers Chat this evening during the first round?

Might be fun

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Official 2011 NFL Draft Day Thread and Preceding Random Thoughts.

Link Copied to Clipboard