DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: bonefish Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/05/13 09:00 PM

Haslam and Banner have made it clear that there will be competition at quarterback.

Weeden has a four year deal at $8.1 mil. Three years guaranteed.

McCoy last year of contract just over $2 mil. ( there are escalators for snaps etc.)

Thad Lewis signed a 2 year deal for $1.02 in December 2012.

=========================================================

The options for competition:

1.) veteran like Matt Moore as a free agent. Maybe David Gerard if he doesn't sign with the Jets. Not a lot out there in free agency.

2.) Trade. Well, Alex Smith is gone. Flynn is staying. Maybe Ryan Mallet. Indications are that he is staying with the Pats.

3.) Draft.

a,) "Perceived" weak draft in quarterbacks. This option is to take a guy later in the draft and try to find an unpolished gem. Saw where the Browns interviewed the Arizona QB Matt Scott.

He is a one year starter. Expected to be a mid to late round pick. A guy to work with and develop.

Took the time to watch 2 games Stanford and USC.

Interesting prospect. Quick feet, moves well, good quick live arm. You can see he is a little raw. Does not display great poise and polished skill.

At the same time I like what I saw. Good piece of clay. If the kid has the right work ethic he would be a guy that could develop.

Draft.

b.) Swing for the fence and take Gino Smith.

If Banner and company believe that Weeden "may not" be the answer and have concerns about his age and how he will develop then Gino may be the best play.
Why draft a guy late that you know he is a project? If they believe in Gino and like his upside and see a potential franchise guy. Then why not draft him and let him compete with Weeden? There would be no pressure to start Gino. If Weeden beats him out he starts. If Gino beats Weeden out he starts.

They can cut or keep McCoy. Thad Lewis is there if they cut McCoy.

Money is not really a factor. Morris Claiborne last years sixth pick got a four year deal for $16mil. That means $6.5 to $8.5 a year on quarterbacks.

At the end of the day you have to solve the quarterback position. If you like Gino Smith at 15 then why not at six if you believe him to be the answer. You only have to be right.

I am not saying I would do this but it has to be a consideration. I will not do a mock till after free agency.

At this point I am not going into what I think about Gino. I will only point out that at this point he has to be in the mix.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/05/13 09:08 PM
I don't know if he is the smartest choice for us.

Great arm, he's got a set of wheels as we all saw with his 40 time.

I just don't know if he can hold up in this division. Maybe 5 years from now it's not as brutal physical-wise as it has been, but I think I would rather have a big strong QB than a guy built like RG3 who could really take some big shots in the AFCN.

He's an interesting thought though.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/05/13 09:14 PM
Just a heads up, it's Geno, not Gino.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/05/13 09:16 PM
I think that Matt Moore is the most likely option this year for competition for Weeden.

I don't see us going 1st round for a QB.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/05/13 09:29 PM
Quote:

Just a heads up, it's Geno, not Gino.

maybe he's talking about his Italian cousin
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/05/13 11:03 PM
Didn't Banner say in a press conference QB is not their focus at #6? But I guess anything can change in the course of two months since he made that statement.

People assume he can be RG3 or Russell Wilson and run, he's primarily a packet passer. I've read that although he has natural accuracy, there is a concern with intermediate throws as well as understanding an NFL offense after running the spread.

I personally think he smarter than people give him credit for and think over time he can learn an NFL offense. Not sure if he's a top ten pick.

Either way, this team isn't going anywhere until they get a QB. Whether that's Weeden or someone else.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/06/13 12:02 AM
Choices aren't great

But just a dumb question (dumb because I don't think he'll be there when we pick)

Does anyone think that E. J. Manuel could be good in the 3rd round. or is he another DA?
Posted By: candyman92 Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/06/13 12:10 AM
Quote:

Choices aren't great

But just a dumb question (dumb because I don't think he'll be there when we pick)

Does anyone think that E. J. Manuel could be good in the 3rd round. or is he another DA?

I'll make this easy

Look at Manuel's numbers and then look at how many 5 star players Florida State has. He was mediocre with all world talent around him.
Posted By: OverToad Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/06/13 01:42 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Choices aren't great

I'll make this easy

Look at Manuel's numbers and then look at how many 5 star players Florida State has. He was mediocre with all world talent around him.

Vince Young and Terrelle Pryor...both are QB's who have off-the-chart measurables but weren't gifted enough as passers. Yes, I'm using Prior in the past-tense even though he's yet to be given the chance to fail because I see nothing in his arm that tells me he can be an NFL passer.

Manuel looks like a guy in that mold. He's probably going to go higher than he should because of his measurables and the current trend towards duel-threat QB's, but if I'm grading QB's on their ability to play from the pocket, he's a 4th or 5th rounder.

The litmus test QB is Dennis Dixon. Given up for dead, he's being resurrected because of his wheels. Manuel is coming to the NFL at the exact right time.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/06/13 02:58 PM
Manuel is a QB more like Big Ben than VY or Pryor. Not saying he'll be as good, but that is more his style.
Posted By: eotab Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/06/13 03:28 PM
Geno Smith...Probably the first QB taken in this draft unless Barclay has an amazing Pro Day. Still the question is where? Supposedly GS will not get past #8 even some talk about them possibly leap frogging #7 who might show interest n we got a trade down partner?

If Chud n Norv are super Gaga in love with him as their Guy...then no doubt we will take him at #6.

Hard to believe anything stated regarding the draft...we did have Banner a while back stating No Way we are looking at #6 for a QB in the draft. Either that was such an obvious he was not afraid to state it. Or it was smoke screen cause we want him

I don't see any answers in FA...I wasn't even high on Alex Smith for the vertical offense being brought in. I know very controversial n I think he burnt his bridges with the fans but football wise the best guy to bring in would be DA - I think Weeden beats him out in a competition but if he can take a mentor role n backup QB role assuming he has matured. Its one of the few FA QBs out there that makes sense.

Draft...I don't see these guys assessing that GS is THE GUY. But if so we probably would have to go #6 n probably still start Weeden as they develop the pick.

As for Developing a QB...the guy I would wish us to develop 3rd round but might get taken in the First...who knows with QBs now a days. But the kid Glennon impressed me as a QB to "DEVELOP"

Speaking of Develop...I don't have the tools this year to investigate players for the draft but somebody just turned me onto a Div. II prospect named Lalich...he was in two big time programs but got thrown out for Under age Drinking. Even though nobody here would ever do that 4 years down the road the kid is - Over the drinking age now, Hopefully matured not to binge drink (guessing he did n got caught) . But Hopefully my learned dawgs much more apt to Internet investigations can share some info on this kid as a later round investment.

I am pretty sure we will draft a QB I just don't think it will be early. Got a feeling we will try to trade Colt n if not able will release him this all in the case if we Invest in DA or another FA. Early Geno?, 3rd Glennon (probably long gone) late round Lalich? Really no clue what we like.

JMHO...man Bridgewater (think that is his name) gave me goose bumps for next years draft. QB??? we just cannot suck all the way to get that #1 pick at the right time. We always win those games n get to 5, 6, 7.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/06/13 09:18 PM
Quote:

We always win those games n get to 5, 6, 7.

It's a conspiracy perpetrated by The Man to keep us down!
Posted By: Jester Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/06/13 10:07 PM
I would love to get Bridgewater. I would trade down this with the goal of gathering additional picks in next year's draft with the intent of going "all in" to get him.
Posted By: 4thandPunt Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/06/13 10:41 PM
Quote:

I would love to get Bridgewater. I would trade down this with the goal of gathering additional picks in next year's draft with the intent of going "all in" to get him.

My thoughts exactly.

For me, this is Weeden's year to see if he can cut the mustard. Hopefully he isn't mediocre, either really good or really terrible.

Balls to drafting a non-talented QB in this year's draft when next year looks to be extraordinarily deep for QB between guys like Bridgewater, Boyd out of Clemson, maybe Manziel, McCarron could be good, and the inevitable breakout QB of the season, whoever that may be.

Boom or Bridgewater!
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/06/13 11:03 PM
Quote:

Like we did with Luck and RGIII!
Posted By: Kingcob Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/06/13 11:52 PM
We were very close on getting RG3 and there are possibly 3-4 QBs of that same elite caliber in the next draft. I think it would be a great move to drop down, pick up and extra #1, and maybe snag Jones/Mingo, Ertz, Cooper, or a CB/Safety towards the end of the 1st.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/07/13 01:03 AM
I think he's more a product of WV's system... kid has talent, but I dont think he'd be a better option than Weeden right now... I think we bring in a vet to compete with the thought that if Weeden fails then we'll go and try to draft a QB next year...
Posted By: Jester Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/07/13 01:35 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Like we did with Luck and RGIII!

It was a good plan. We just failed to execute it properly.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/07/13 02:44 AM
RGIII is damaged goods, I am soooooooo glad we did not get him .... JMHO
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/07/13 06:46 AM
Quote:

We were very close on getting RG3 and there are possibly 3-4 QBs of that same elite caliber in the next draft.

Same caliber of what we thought RGIII was going into the draft or what he turned out to be? To me RGIII and Luck are once in a decade type of guys, I don't see anyone on their level coming out any time soon.
Posted By: 4thandPunt Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/07/13 07:04 AM
Teddy Bridgewater is there. When I watch him play, I see flashes of Aaron Rodgers. Tajh Boyd isn't that far behind.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/07/13 07:04 AM
That's why I wanted to go all in on RG3 last year.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/07/13 07:09 AM
So they're not on the same level as Luck and Griffin. Going into Luck's junior season everyone knew he was the slam dunk #1 draft pick and a franchise QB. Once the season was over everyone felt the same way about RGIII. If there was someone like that in the 2014 draft there would be no talk of Clowney going #1.
Posted By: 4thandPunt Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/07/13 07:19 AM
It will depend on the situation.

If the team drafting at the #1 spot in next year's draft needs a QB, and they most likely will, I am willing to bet a one year ban that Clowney, as wildly talented as he is, will not be drafted by that team. That honor will go to Bridgewater.

Any takers?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/07/13 07:20 AM
Quote:

That's why I wanted to go all in on RG3 last year.

This is true. I was against it. I didn't think RGIII was a surefire franchise QB. If I could do it all over again, I would make the trade every time. (Although Shurmur would have tried to make him a dropback west coast QB.)
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/07/13 07:49 AM
Yeah, Shurmur would probably have wrecked him anyway.
Posted By: The Big G Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/07/13 10:55 AM
These guys are a little easier to trust wen it comes to evaluating QBs. If they don't like Weeden and do like Geno, I'm down. Smith is a film fanatic with a strong arm and blazing speed. He once said he sees himself as going up against defensive coordinators, not merely defenses. Pretty deep!
Posted By: ClayM57 Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/07/13 11:57 AM
Quote:

Early Thoughts on Gino Smith

Bust....Just becuase he's the so called best of 2013 dosent make or mean he's a NFL calibur QB....Becuase he's not....Every year media & fans go crazy over some QB, I could go on for days naming NFL sure picks...so called franchise QB's ...Cant miss QB...every year we go thru this, this year it's somebody..This year it's Gino...stay away from Gino he will be a forgotten man next year at this time. .....I'd rather draft Barkley ....actually I'd rather not draft a QB at all....
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/07/13 01:42 PM
Quote:

Every year media & fans go crazy over some QB, I could go on for days naming NFL sure picks...so called franchise QB's ...Cant miss QB...every year we go thru this, this year it's somebody..This year it's Gino...

The highest I've seen him mocked is 7 to Arizona and even those guys admit it's probably a reach... a lot of analysts don't even have him evaluated as a first round pick... so who are the media and fans that are saying he's a sure thing and a can't miss franchise QB?
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/07/13 02:48 PM
i've seen him #2 to JAX on several sites (at least some versions). of course, with mocks now, you can find anything you want as there are a million sites and they put out a million versions on each one.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/07/13 03:07 PM
Quote:

i've seen him #2 to JAX on several sites

Well those people are stupid.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/07/13 03:14 PM
I don't have a clue as to what the Browns will do and they never do [except for the drafting Joe Thomas] do what I think is best for them, anyway. However, I can analyze Smith as a qb.

Early in the year, Smith was putting up ridiculous numbers. It obviously peaked my interest and I began watching WVU games, hoping that he might be another RGIII. I came away very disappointed and I would not recommend drafting him at #6. I do admit I have heard a couple of things recently that made me think a bit more highly of him, such as the comments from the new A&M assistant coach who praised Smith for his work ethic and dissed Weeden for his work ethic. He was around both guys. That meant something to me, but anyway, here is my analysis:

Strengths:
--Very good arm. I think he makes the intermediate throws very well.

--Excellent touch on his passes.

--Leads receivers so they can run after catch.

--Seems to read defenses at LOS and will change play or make hot read.

--Keeps his eyes downfield when pressured.

--Will look off a safety

--Has a nice release. Quick release.

--Can throw on the move.

--Decent athlete w/pretty good size.

Concerns:
--Footwork. My biggest concern. He gets his feet out of whack when trying to move in the pocket. It happens after he has been hit a few times, also. Loses accuracy when feet are misaligned. This is my biggest concern w/the guy. And it is no small matter, as it has ruined many potential good qbs.

--Doesn't take advantage of his athleticism. Rarely makes plays w/his feet.

--I questioned his mental toughness in the bowl game. He was getting beat-up by the pass rush. He looked beaten. Poor body language. You need a tough-minded leader.

--Played in WVU's high-flying offense which probably inflated his numbers. Similar to Weeden.

Bottom Line:
Smith has a lot of good tools and I like how his coach said he was a very hard worker, student of the game, and carried that offense. I love his touch and accuracy when he sets his feet. I despise his footwork at times and his mental toughness when the chips are down is a big concern.

I would not draft him at #6. Smith is one of those guys that could make it fairly big and leave a lot of "experts" shaking their heads as to why they didn't have him rated higher. A team who is sitting towards the bottom of round one and has a good, but aging qb, might reap huge dividends by taking this guy. I just think it would be a huge gamble for a team like the Browns [poor current qb and picking high in the round] to make a huge commitment to Smith.
Posted By: eotab Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/07/13 03:16 PM
before the Alex Smith deal heard draftnicks stating Geno Smith might go to the Chiefs...lol Talking heads say the darndest things (in my best Art Linkletter voice).

Doesn't justify a top 10 pick. After 10 I think there is a big gap of teams not looking at QB? But in this new Rookie CAP era if you DO NOT HAVE a Franchise QB you got to take the risk which is not as much as before...Contract is reasonable n because he is in the first you get him signed long enough to develop him. So who knows???

All depends on Chud/Norv how they assess him.

I'm telling you dawgs...take a look at this kid Peter Lalich - 5th 6th round pick...It could be the steal of the draft!

JMHO
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/07/13 03:26 PM
I agree with your assessment, vers
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/07/13 03:40 PM
Quote:

take a look at this kid Peter Lalich - 5th 6th round pick...

I was reading about him a couple days ago. Very intriguing prospect. Seems to have all the physical tools, just wonder where his head is...
Posted By: ddubia Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/07/13 08:54 PM
Here's another, maybe more interesting, view of Pete Lalich...

Swag Champ: The Peter Lalich Story

By Harrison Weinhold on Mar 1 2013, 8:43p

A quarterback's journey from stardom, to failure, and back again.

As he stepped out of the white Toyota Sequoia he's driven since his days at West Springfield High School in Northern Virginia (the same Sequoia I took my first bong-rip in), I realized how impossible it would be for me to separate the Peter Lalich I know as a friend and the Peter Lalich I've watched as a football fan and writer.

While his remarkable 6-foot-5, 240 pound pro-style quarterback frame should certainly be noted, as well as his quiet, eccentric, and seemingly aloof demeanor, I couldn't help but notice his outfit. To a stranger, his style (described to me as "hipster swag") might come off as arrogant or ridiculous, but to me - his clothes tell a story all their own.

Starting at the feet - an old pair of Low top Chuck Taylors, no doubt the same pair from high school, complete with permanent-marker drawings all over the toe and sole from the countless girlfriends and sweethearts. The same shoes he'd be wearing when arrested in Charlottesville, Virginia, for a simple underage possession of alcohol citation that would spell the beginning of the end of his time as the quarterback at UVA.

A pair of Nudie jeans. Price tag: $200. "The raw denims". Way out of my league in terms of jeans, but Peter generally has always been ahead of the game in terms of fashion, music and culture - a byproduct of the eclectic characters he's called friends over the years and his own eccentric personality. To really give you a feel for Peter, when people use the word eccentric to describe him- imagine Johnny Depp or Christopher Walken. Seriously.

An obnoxious hoodie sweatshirt with a giant cat face on the front, a nod to some of his favorite musicians at Odd Future, a hip-hop collective including Tyler, The Creator and Frank Ocean. The sweatshirt is a gift from his younger sister Bonnie who moved out to Los Angeles to be famous. Trust me, she will be.

The vest his mom bought for him when he went to Oregon State matches the pointless balance bracelet on his wrist - the same his dad wears. A journalist looking for a good story could dig into Todd Lalich's basketball career at Florida or his intensity and competitiveness, and maybe draw some comparison to Marv Marinovich - but they would be far off. There was/is never a shortage of love in the Lalich residence - or Bibles or FCA pamphlets.

Finally, around his neck, dangling out of the cat-shirt - a Versace chain. It looks so absolutely ridiculous that I actually say to him "what the . is that?" Price tag: ~ $5,000-10,000.

"It's K.O.'s"

Kevin Ogletree went undrafted out of UVA to the Cowboys and has since made a nice little niche for himself on their roster. The two became friends in the short time Peter was in Charlottesville and have stayed close ever since - apparently close enough to not only loan Pete his Versace chains, but also to bring Peter down to work out with Cowboy receivers during the lockout two years ago.

"I don't know man, the thing about Peter is he's just a pure play-maker," said Ogletree, packing his bags in the hotel room he and Peter shared in Miami while they worked out at Bommarito Performance Systems with other notables such as Frank Gore and Matthew Stafford. "There's something about him where he can get hit and keep going. He stays cool under the pressure".

That's an understatement.

Lalich was a contemporary of Russell Wilson and Tyrod Taylor in high school - all three graduating in 2007. At that time, Peter was the #5 quarterback in the nation and an Elite 11 quarterback - notables of that year being Tyrod Taylor, Ryan Mallett, Jarrett Lee and John Brantley (Russell Wilson was barely blip on anyone's radar outside of the Commonwealth and ACC teams).

Lalich elected to stay in-state and be the Quarterback at UVA after turning down offers from Miami (FL), Michigan, N.C. State and UCLA. He saw time as a freshman and performed well, finishing the year 35 of 61 for 321 yards and 2 touchdowns. He would begin his sophomore year at the starter for the Cavaliers.

The rest, as the cliché goes, is history. A story we too often see end in disappointment.

Pete was arrested for underage drinking and placed on probation before the start of the season. He ended up starting the first two games before a court appearance where he admitted to consuming alcohol while on probation. He was dismissed from the UVA Football team the same day.

"I probably sat in the athletic director's office for two hours screaming and yelling about what a mistake they had made. I couldn't believe they had done this TO ME," Pete's candor is something I've taken for granted on most subjects, but we've rarely delved into his mindset during that time. "My mindset was that I was the victim. It was all about me."

While the politics of the situation at UVA might have pointed to an over-zealous administration hell-bent on ousting an unpopular Al Groh - starting with his golden-boy quarterback - Peter's take on the situation says a lot on how far he's come:

"I wanted to be the 'big man on campus'. I was worried about what other people thought about me. I was trying to be the crazy, cool guy and the football player - and it all backfired on me - twice. I didn't learn my lesson the first time."

Peter's stock was still high enough that Mike Riley at Oregon State immediately offered Peter a scholarship. One year later he would be charged with operating a boat under the influence of alcohol (a charge later dropped). The ensuing 3-game suspension would put Peter out of contention for the starting job for the Beavers. Riley called Peter himself to let him know they had pulled his scholarship.

"I was so into that Oregon mindset by that point, with a girlfriend and everything - I was ready to just give up and be a regular student. It wasn't that I didn't love football I just felt so apathetic about the whole machine and process around it. Reporters in my face and blogs writing crazy things about me - it was getting to me I think."

It was in the midst of this obviously low point in Pete's life when the head football coach at California University of Pennsylvania called up Peter to come be their quarterback. A powerhouse Division II school known for taking the scraps off the Division I and Division IAA schools, Cal-U offered Peter an opportunity back into football and a chance to redeem himself - albeit with humbler surroundings. Peter would redshirt in 2010 and hold the clipboard for Josh Portis, who ended up at Cal-U after transferring from Maryland.

In 2011, his first full season as a starter, Peter would break every single-season Cal-U passing record. Pete would finish 16-4 as quarterback for the Vulcans.

"Peter is the most different, entertaining, fun, quarterback I've ever been around," says Cal-U head coach Mike Kellar.

"I've never seen a guy - if you've seen the movie "A Beautiful Mind" - sometimes I'll leave at night and come back in the morning and that's what my greaseboard looks like in my office: Peter will go in there and draw up 60 plays, and a lot of them would be great ideas if everyone could keep up with Pete - including myself. Man it's hard to tell how many plays we could have had in a gameplan. Extremely accurate - yeah, can make any throw - yeah, but the things I noticed is he can throw from different arm angles, his pocket presence and he's just cerebral as can be - Pete made me a better football coach because of the way he made me look at things in the office"

Through all his trials and tribulations, the one thing that gets lost in Peter's story is his unmatched football IQ and the respect he gained from his coaches as a true student of the game. Ask any of his prior coaches, from coach Riley at Oregon State to Al Groh and his former staff at UVA, they all use phrases (seriously, at least four former coaches have said this, including current Chicago Bears WR coach Mike Groh) such as: "football savant" and "a real life Will Hunting" when it comes to understanding defensive schemes and the quarterback position.

"If Peter spent four years as a starter at UVA, even if he had . seasons, he would be a top 15 quarterback in this draft right now," said a pro scout I spoke with on the condition of anonymity. "He's definitely on some teams' radar, especially in this class."

Depending on what you read - Peter is currently somewhere between the 24th and 30th ranked quarterback in this year's crop of prospects. For the last two months, Peter has been training at Bommarito Performance Systems in Miami, Florida - a veritable who's who of the NFL works out there as well as draft prospects preparing for the combine and their pro-days.

"I've been working with Drew Stanton almost every day just getting my footwork right. Got my pro-day on March 11th and then a regional combine later in March and then an all-star game too. Just a few more chances to show the scouts what I got."

The reality of the situation is that no raw food diet, throwing drills, or 40-yard dash time is going to improve Peter's draft stock. The scouts have seen his tape. They know he can make every pass and is a leader in every locker room he walks into. They know he's a great quarterback, and much higher on everyone's boards than they would like admit. His NFL stock, by his own admission, has less to do with the lack of playing time and being at a Division II school, than it does the bad decisions he made over the course of his college career.

"It's tough, man, but I don't dwell on all that anymore," said Peter, sitting in my living room, critiquing my Madden play and drinking his vita-coca - making a stop for an old on his way up from Miami to his pro-day in Pittsburgh. "I have to focus on the things I'm doing now to just get prepared. I can't let the past haunt me like that."

It was high school when we used to talk about the day when Pete would get drafted. When the whole Oregon State thing went down, I never really brought it up again. All the miserable people who took Peter at face value - a big, dumb jock, who didn't deserve a free education or second chance - "what's Lalich doing these days? Man...that's a shame...what a . up."

Peter's story had become either disappointing anecdote or a punch line to all the people we grew up with. All of that could change in a matter of months.

"The thing about Peter is that he's so confident in his abilities," said Mike Brown, former roommate and teammate of Lalich's at both UVA and Cal-U. "He's a guy who's faced numerous setbacks and remains persistent on his goals, he's the type of guy who would draw up plays and concepts when he was ineligible, because he never lost sight."

"After all, the underdog is the only one who believes he can win before and after he has gained victory."

Never once did Peter let things fall apart the way he could have - the way we see so many others throw away their gifts and abilities. To scratch and crawl his way back into the mind of NFL scouts, Peter has had to work harder and swallow his pride more than most could, given the circumstances. As bad I'd like to go back to the summers we spent at the beach, drawing crowds of people to watch my fat ass chase down Peter's consistent 50 and 60 yard bombs, drinking our parents' booze and lying to girls about my football career - that Peter is long gone.

"Whatever you write, man, just make sure they know I have the most swag in the league and I'm just generally way better than any other quarterback out there," Peter said, laughing and holding his chain out. "You gotta make me look like Tim Tebow."

Well, mostly gone.

I'm probably not qualified to evaluate the true talent of an NFL quarterback (although I will never miss a chance to mention that I played against Peter and Russell Wilson in high school), but I am uniquely qualified to speak on the character and integrity of this specific prospect.

To any NFL decision-makers who might read this - No, Peter is not a Bible thumping Jesus-freak. He's a follower of Christ, no doubt, but also a student of science and philosophy who would rather have a discussion about spirituality with you than pray with you.

As a leader, Peter connects with people on their terms. The most ghetto/urban/hood/rachet guys on the roster will call Peter a "goon". The most country, rural, hillbilly-ass guys on the team will call Pete a "good ol' boy". The most straight-laced, hard-assed coach you can find - will call Peter "fun" and "talented as hell".

As a friend, his loyalty and clutchness is only matched by his ability as a wingman.

This is the story I thought needed to be told. About a kid from Northern Virginia who almost lost it all and his journey to earn it all back. Am I biased? Maybe - but I truly believe that Pistol Pete will be - not could be - will be the next Tom Brady. Yeah, I guess he's eccentric, quiet, poised and, of course, swagged-out, but most of all, he's comfortable in his own skin and a damn good quarterback. As with all special quarterbacks, there's just something about Peter that you can't quite put your finger on.

I'll let Pete speak for himself:

"Yeah I believe I ‘m the best quarterback in this draft, but every guy should think that way. I know I'm different because I've been to the bottom and I worked my way back. There's nothing you can throw at me that I can't handle. I decided a while back that I wouldn't be defined by my circumstances. Now I'm just ready to show that I belong in this league and that I'm the best quarterback. Period."

This is my "told ya so".

hogshaven.com
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/07/13 09:11 PM
I grew up near that school.. It's in Little California outside of Brownsville PA..

They love this kid down there. think he's wacko, but love him just the same. LOL
Posted By: eotab Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/07/13 10:26 PM
Ok...is it in California or Pennsylvania...lol

I still say one of our 6th round picks...take a shot the kid could be the steal of the draft.

JMHWhy not!
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/07/13 10:41 PM
Quote:

Quote:

We always win those games n get to 5, 6, 7.

It's a conspiracy perpetrated by The Man to keep us down!

I don't know.....

I'd say the Colts pretty much knew Painter would equate to landing Luck in the draft.

It worked for them and the league never said a word! Sometimes last place, in just the right year, pays dividends. The colts figured it out.....
Posted By: DFbrowns44 Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/08/13 07:11 AM
O.K. vers.. first of I agree with almost everything you said here on Geno.

But you mention that he keeps his eyes downfield when pressured as a pro. But then you mention as a concern that he doesn't use his feet to make plays. You can't have it both ways, can you? Just nitpicking.

As a whole I like the kid but do have the same questions that you do. Seems to break down under pressure. Really think his accuracy and throwing mechanics are top notch.

The only two guys in this draft I would take a chance on right now are Tyler Bray and E.J. Manual. They both are no where near ready to start but in two or three years could be. Bray needs to work on the same things Geno does. Breaking down under pressure. E.J Manual needs to polish his game as a whole, but he is the closest thing to Cam Newton in this draft. And Chud did really goods things for Cam.
Posted By: The Big G Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/08/13 11:02 AM
wow! I like this Lalich kid.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/08/13 12:23 PM
Quote:

But you mention that he keeps his eyes downfield when pressured as a pro. But then you mention as a concern that he doesn't use his feet to make plays. You can't have it both ways, can you? Just nitpicking.

LOL, I guess you got me.

I was referring to a list of notes I took when I watched Smith play. I thought it was important to state that he really doesn't make plays w/his feet that guys like RGIII, Cam, Wilson, Luck, Ben, and Rodgers do. I think many people are under the impression he does.
Posted By: eotab Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/08/13 02:11 PM
He can run if he had to and when he does he has the speed n skills to get the most out of it. But I sort of like that out of him...Make Plays??? No, not so much with his feet but in extending plays n finding open WRs he is not bad at it at all?

Really the bad rap on him is the Inconsistencies. Accuracy under pressure...I just don't know many QBs if any that are accurate under pressure. Its the MO to beat Brady probably the most accurate QB around...Even Rogers Hit him hard n often. Eli too. Maybe the best I've seen is Payton Manning...only cause he can anticipate it n throw from a strict 3 step (less than 2 seconds) n burn teams.

I think in developing a QB there is a fine line...he will see it more n learn how best to cope with it. Or he will not n become damaged goods mentally as well as physically.

I think Payton is so good at it cause the first 10 years or so of his career...he led the NFL in Not even getting knocked down at all. This gave him confidence to improve his skills n then when Tarik Glenn retired he started to get hit n pressured unlike he ever did before. But he adjusted - still paid the price (broken neck?) but had dealt with it more than any I've seen. I think we got that kind of OL here for a young QB to develop. Of course there will be some pressure but it won't be like Couch or Carr or Luck last season who got hit more than any QB in the NFL - he handled it well but if the Colts don't fix it...(OL) he could become damaged goods (what a waste). We have a pretty good environment here for a QB to develop n succeed.

Geno is nowhere on my personal target...which means absolutely nothing until I become a Multi-Billionaire n buy the team... 999,999,000.00 to go...lol

Still if Chud n Norv...feel not he is the best in this Draft...but that he will be THE GUY. So be it - I'm fine with that. I still say Weeden starts and groom GS n if Weeden just doesn't show growth...He can start Mid-season that is Weeden at the worst. If Weeden shines there is no rush...Of course not playing your overall #6 is frowned upon. But I think we are entering a new era considering the Rookie Cap doesn't force teams to start those early QBs to justify the $$$$ spent. Also Norv had a #4 in Rivers n because of the good play of Brees had no problem developing him from the outside looking in.

JMHO - I'll go with Chud/Norv decisions. Now if its all Banner/Lombardi n forced on the two...It won't be good. But I will not make that assumption...I would wait till that became FACT before chastising the FO.
Posted By: Attack Dawg Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/08/13 02:42 PM
Quote:

Choices aren't great

He might go higher than the 3rd. No he isn't close to being DA.
Remember one thing about when you want to compare any QB to him.His football IQ is low ,very low.
If he is asked to think and analize he cannot do it.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/09/13 12:47 PM
Quote:

Really the bad rap on him is the Inconsistencies.

tab, those were my notes from when I watched him. I don't care what the national reports say because those are the things I saw.
Posted By: DFbrowns44 Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/10/13 08:39 AM
Vers. I understand what your saying about making plays with his legs, and he doesn't do that much at all. I agree. Its just my personal opinion, but I'd rather have my QB looking downfield rather then look to run. So I would call it a positive. I'd rather have to get in thw QBs ear about running more then have to do it about running less, ala RGIII. Those guys just don't seem to last a long time. You don't see many old running QBs.

OH and eo.. if I chip in a couple bucks can I have some say in personel decisions???
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/10/13 02:33 PM
RG3 and Russel Wilson were pass first guys last year.

Most of their runs were out of read option. Which while is there decision to keep it. Is still the coach calling the play.

Wilson made a living out of his spin out and roll move. But still passed it more than he ran.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/11/13 05:01 PM

My analysis of Geno Smith:

There is plenty to like about Geno. When you watch him you see all the aspects that make up a good quarterback. He had a sparkling 71.2% comp percentage last year with a career 67.4 . His int's percentage was terrific 42 TD's 6 int's. Career passing efficiency rating 153.5 outstanding. No fumbles in four years.

In many ways he reminds me of a streaky NBA shooter. When he is in rhythm; he can light it up.

He can also make throws that you just go WOW!

At the same time he can miss guys that are wide open and should not be missed. He can miss by a lot. You don't know if it was him or the receiver but you think?? What happened?

His footwork when not under pressure is good and he will throw a good ball. Nice tight spiral with a good quick release.

Under pressure things break down. Footwork goes haywire and that is when the inconsistency comes in his accuracy.

From all I have read and heard he is a good kid who will work hard at his game. He appears to have good command of the huddle.

In the OK game when the team was down he was working the sidelines encouraging his teammates. I loved that.

He has all the physical tools size, speed, arm strength.

In the end though I have some lingering doubts. I wish I liked him more. Luck and Griffin kind of spoiled me when looking at QB prospects. Hardly fare to compare with those guys. But you do.

The offense they ran at WVA is a long way from what is run in the NFL. He will need to learn the footwork from under center. How quickly he makes the adjustment to the pro game is a question. He has not seen anything like NFL defenses. How fast will he learn progression reads and route trees in the NFL is anybodies guess.

Andrew Luck was the best QB prospect I have ever seen coming out of college. I felt he was sure thing.

Geno Smith has the potential to be very good. However, he is not sure thing. There is risk.

The Browns though have to really examine him under a microscope and bright lights. We do not have a winning QB on the roster. No matter how you slice and dice it. Weeden is a question mark at best. McCoy is not viewed as a starter.

You do not know when you will pick 6th again. You can not expect to compete against the best teams and win a championship without a great quarterback.

Until the Browns identify a true franchise quarterback they have to keep looking.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/11/13 05:04 PM
Quote:

My analysis of Geno Smith:

There is plenty to like about Geno. When you watch him you see all the aspects that make up a good quarterback. He had a sparkling 71.2% comp percentage last year with a career 67.4 . His int's percentage was terrific 42 TD's 6 int's. Career passing efficiency rating 153.5 outstanding. No fumbles in four years.

In many ways he reminds me of a streaky NBA shooter. When he is in rhythm; he can light it up.

He can also make throws that you just go WOW!

At the same time he can miss guys that are wide open and should not be missed. He can miss by a lot. You don't know if it was him or the receiver but you think?? What happened?

His footwork when not under pressure is good and he will throw a good ball. Nice tight spiral with a good quick release.

Under pressure things break down. Footwork goes haywire and that is when the inconsistency comes in his accuracy.

From all I have read and heard he is a good kid who will work hard at his game. He appears to have good command of the huddle.

In the OK game when the team was down he was working the sidelines encouraging his teammates. I loved that.

He has all the physical tools size, speed, arm strength.

In the end though I have some lingering doubts. I wish I liked him more. Luck and Griffin kind of spoiled me when looking at QB prospects. Hardly fare to compare with those guys. But you do.

The offense they ran at WVA is a long way from what is run in the NFL. He will need to learn the footwork from under center. How quickly he makes the adjustment to the pro game is a question. He has not seen anything like NFL defenses. How fast will he learn progression reads and route trees in the NFL is anybodies guess.

Andrew Luck was the best QB prospect I have ever seen coming out of college. I felt he was sure thing.

Geno Smith has the potential to be very good. However, he is not sure thing. There is risk.

The Browns though have to really examine him under a microscope and bright lights. We do not have a winning QB on the roster. No matter how you slice and dice it. Weeden is a question mark at best. McCoy is not viewed as a starter.

You do not know when you will pick 6th again. You can not expect to compete against the best teams and win a championship without a great quarterback.

Until the Browns identify a true franchise quarterback they have to keep looking.

We don't need to draft a QB in the 1st-3rd rds. ... JMHO
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/11/13 07:24 PM
Eagles to work out Geno Smith
Posted By: eotab Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/12/13 03:21 PM
Got it - regarding your assessment is from the eye not browsing the web

I too watched him - well after his amazing start (in my Is he RG3 Part Deux quest) That is where I thought he made some amazing accurate passes n then he would disappear for a game or two. Ergo without going into some vast Detail...for me at #6 just too inconsistent which is why when I state I'm ok if Chud/Norv feel he is worth it...it always comes with the condition that we start Weeden n develop him.

As for the General consensus being Inconsistent - mainly cause that is the common denominator I have seen but more important pretty much what I saw also...some very very special good. But then disappearing. In those games of very good I didn't see many flaws at all. In the ones where he did not do well they just popped up out of no where??? I got a feeling he might not go as soon as some expect...the later the better dropping QBs back...I would love to have a Glennon there at our 3rd round pick. I think he would do well under Chud/Norv. Outside of him...I want that Diamond in the Rough Pie in the Sky pick Lalich our last pick

JMHO I'm sure everything you critiqued you saw we differ sometimes in what can be fixed or not. Why btw QB is the toughest evaluation from College to draft.
Posted By: DeepThreat Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/12/13 09:28 PM
I love Geno. I would have no problem taking him No. 1 overall. Here's something I wrote in January:

Pros

Geno Smith possesses excellent ball placement and rarely misfires. He can accurately throw the ball at all levels of the field.

Smith has the athleticism to move outside of the pocket and scramble for first downs. His inclination, however, is to stand in the pocket and pass the ball.

In the face of pressure, Smith remains calm and delivers the ball without panic. He does an excellent job of throwing from different platforms and retaining accuracy regardless of how awkward the situation is. He does a great job of moving around in the pocket to avoid the rush, and he keeps his eyes downfield, running only when there are no other options.

Smith’s footwork under center is excellent. He also utilizes solid throwing mechanics and a quick, consistent release.

A smart player, Smith rarely makes mistakes and does a good job of reading the defense. He is excellent at avoiding turnovers and taking care of the football.

Cons

Smith doesn’t have a rocket arm, though it is strong enough. At times, he could stand to put more velocity on his throws instead of lofting them.

He too frequently locks onto his primary option instead of going through his progressions. Out of the shotgun, Smith struggles with his footwork and doesn’t cross his feet when dropping back. He’s much better under center.

Smith could actually afford to take a few more chances, as he doesn’t make a ton of big plays. Part of this could be West Virginia’s offensive scheme, but he should take more shots downfield.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/12/13 09:49 PM
yep to this
Posted By: eotab Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/12/13 10:37 PM
Deep...probably the best QB in this draft could be good return...the only QB I would wish us to take a chance to be a starter if we think Weeden is a dud...but I don't think we think that at all.

Develop a guy??? I would prefer to possibly utilize a 3rd on Glennon.

Gino has skills...a negative I saw for us here..Browns...8 games off the lake...He does not throw a tight spiral.

In a drop back situation only way I hope we think about Geno.

But I can see dawgs liking him. I'm not going to scream n shout if he's a Brown.
JMHO
Posted By: DjangoBrown Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/13/13 09:12 AM
Quote:

Out of the shotgun, Smith struggles with his footwork and doesn’t cross his feet when dropping back. He’s much better under center.

So...we drafted a shotgun-QB last draft to run an "under center" Offense, and now you want us to draft QB for a shotgun Offense, that struggles out of the gun...sounds like a clever move
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/13/13 02:20 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Out of the shotgun, Smith struggles with his footwork and doesn’t cross his feet when dropping back. He’s much better under center.

So...we drafted a shotgun-QB last draft to run an "under center" Offense, and now you want us to draft QB for a shotgun Offense, that struggles out of the gun...sounds like a clever move

yeah I don't think Geno is in the plans for us, but he's a good QB in the right system IMO.
Posted By: DeepThreat Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/13/13 04:47 PM
Quote:

Quote:

I don't think Geno's footwork is such a big issue that it can't be overcome.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/13/13 06:04 PM
Quote:

wow! I like this Lalich kid.

I think EJ needs some work on accuracy but man I love his size!
Hearing Bills like Nassib so EJ, Geno and Barkley might be there
post KC's trade for Smith.
Posted By: PeteyDangerous Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/13/13 08:47 PM
Quote:

I think EJ needs some work on accuracy but man I love his size!
Hearing Bills like Nassib so EJ, Geno and Barkley might be there
post KC's trade for Smith.

I liked EJ's name and saw an interview with the guy (which made me feel like he was a leader), so I've watched him.

That guy isn't that good at all. He might understand football. But he doesn't play it that well. Every FSU game I've watched, I've come away very unimpressed.

I would not be excited about EJ Manuel. Give me Geno Smith over him every day of the week

Not worth a 2nd rounder or whatever. I'd rather trade for Ryan Mallet (which I wouldn't want to trade a 2nd rounder for) or trade for Nick Foles (if he's available)

But most of all, I'd rather stand pat and go with Brandon Weeden. EJ Manuel just has a cool name and sounds good. His play is not special at all.

I'd rather have that Oklahoma QB too. Landry Jones

Brandon Weeden looked much better than EJ Manuel in college. Much much better
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/14/13 02:13 AM
I like Landry Jones, but I am concerned that he may be the next Tony Romo.

Too many 4th quarter meltdowns.
Posted By: PeteyDangerous Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/14/13 03:04 AM
Quote:

I like Landry Jones, but I am concerned that he may be the next Tony Romo.

Too many 4th quarter meltdowns.

Tony Romo's also done some great things in the 4th quarter. He beat us in the 4th quarter and OT this year.

This Cowboys fan I was watching that game with said, "Tony Romo is his worst enemy and his greatest ally. He either loses the game for you or he wins it for you" Not totally sure what that means
Posted By: tazolio Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/14/13 04:13 AM
i am hoping for smith to make people want the number 6 pix(ahead of 7 enough that we trade down unless, best cb is still avail...millner? , if not flat out trade down..im kinda missin that second rounder, but not really!!!!! gordon seems well worth it and now even has a year exp!... i agree with eotab,, 6th rd or later maybe five
or maybe not at all on qb
although there is a lot of good cb in free agency still, so either way get a cb then trade down if its in fa, or best cb or trade down
Posted By: bonefish Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/17/13 03:13 PM

There is an elephant in the room and it is growing in size.

Haslam and company have made it clear: There will be competition.

So! No quarterback has been signed as yet.

Free agency has started. The Browns have been active and are still looking. TE (Kellan Davis, Fred Davis) and corner ( Brent Grimes) may still be added.

Kruger, Bryant, Groves all signed. If Grimes signs the draft is wide open.

They could still decide go with Jarvis Jones, Dee Milliner, Dion Jordan, or Ansuh but the free agent signings may have opened the door to Geno Smith.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=149&f=1547&t=11371104

The Browns heavyweights attended as they should.

Of course speculation between now and draft day will be all over the place. Quarterbacks always are the Buzz. Trade ups and downs will be discussed.

Funny how that goes. Last week Geno was a 15 to 20 pick. Now again he is top ten. Jags, Raiders, Eagles, Browns, Bills, Cardinals could all be in the mix.

It would not surprise me one bit if the Browns drafted Geno if he is there.
Posted By: Jester Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/17/13 03:37 PM
Quote:

But it would surprise me if Geno makes it #6.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/17/13 06:33 PM
Quote:

Quote:

I think Smith go top 5 because of need...
Posted By: OverToad Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/17/13 07:13 PM
Quote:

Quote:

It's downright scary how a marginal 1st rounder can suddenly be viewed by some as a long-shot to make it to #6 because of need throughout the league.

I can't decide if I want the Browns to make noise about wanting him to drive a team to jump in front of us and draft him, thus allowing a player we may want to drop down the board to us, or if I want the Browns to make noise about wanting other players in the hopes a team around 10 or so decides they'll want him at 6 so we can trade down and pick up a 2nd rounder.

What I do know is that I don't want a 6'2 217 pound spread-option guy being taken at 6. Didn't we learn our lesson with the last two spread QB's...
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/17/13 07:17 PM
Quote:

It's downright scary how a marginal 1st rounder can suddenly be viewed by some as a long-shot to make it to #6 because of need throughout the league

Yeah, but you know it's true right? Someone is going to look at him and take him close to the top of the draft.

Hey, they might get lucky and have a really winner in the kid..
Posted By: Jester Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/17/13 07:19 PM
Jacksonville needs a Qb
Oakland needs a Qb
Philly could use a Qb

Arizona could trade up for a Qb
Buffalo has talked about trading up for a Qb

Lots of teams draft for need. Even if the quality is in question they talk themselves into it by pure desperation.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/17/13 10:35 PM
Right now I don't care who takes who as long as either Jarvis Jones or Dee Milliner is there when we pick.

I'm good with either one of them.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/18/13 03:03 AM
Quote:

Right now I don't care who takes who as long as either Jarvis Jones or Dee Milliner is there when we pick.

I'm good with either one of them.

+1
Posted By: eotab Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/18/13 01:56 PM
Quote:

I don't want a 6'2 217 pound spread-option guy being taken at 6.

Toad the vast majority of the NCAA is going to that offense.

Geno Smith's positive is his natural look seems to be that of a Pocket Passer who can be Mobile if need be. But if you are going to eliminate Spread option guys...who will be left? Stanford QBs only???

The up front without any Sure Fire slotting in this draft does mean there is a void that can easily be filled. Ansah moving up from the 2nd round...to first to top 10 to now top 5. Weak up front class with a void for a player who fits in the RARE positions.

QB...rarest
Left Tackle
Pass Rusher Edge Corner elite.
Cover Corner

We already see a possibility that the OTs might even go 1 n 2...Void filled
Pass Rushers noted all over this top 5 top 10 from Jordan to Ansah...again Void Filling

QB the rarest...Its always been rather simple. Them who don't have a Franchise QB cannot pass up a prospect that they deem as a Franchise QB potential. Its not if Geno Smith moving up...in this draft its easy to see this Void be filled by the top QB...Barclay could show his shoulder is strong n makes all the throws - then what? RATING...very few QBs are rated to where they end up going. I mean outside of certain guys like LUCK n RG3. But Tannehill went #7...was he a better prospect than Geno Smith??? Actually I like Geno Better than Tannehill in last years draft!

But the spread offense is taking over the NCAA you cannot eliminate QBs because of the O...Johnny Texas? Bridgewater should be over looked cause of the Spread - option systems taking over College football?

But Geno - I think one of his best attributes has been his ability to be comfortable under center n on film clearly shows he is a natural POCKET PASSER.

Us taking him at 6...Always have said. Its simple...If Chud n Norv think he "IS" The Guy in their evaluation. They will take him. Just the nature of the beast.

JMHO
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/18/13 08:31 PM
Private workout for Geno Smith (the article is actually longer, but this is the only Geno Smith related part):

Quote:

The Cleveland Browns, who have the No. 6 overall pick in the NFL draft, will conduct a private workout with West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith, a league source said.

Also, Browns CEO Joe Banner reiterated at the NFL meetings today that quarterback is not the focus at No. 6, but he didn't rule out taking one early, late or in the middle of the draft.

He said the club will do everything possible to have the best players at every position.

Link

We should be working him out. With our draft position we need to know if he is a potential franchise QB.
Posted By: OverToad Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/18/13 10:04 PM
And we need to make teams think we're interested, even if we're not.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/18/13 10:05 PM
Quote:

Private workout for Geno Smith (the article is actually longer, but this is the only Geno Smith related part):

Quote:

The Cleveland Browns, who have the No. 6 overall pick in the NFL draft, will conduct a private workout with West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith, a league source said.

Also, Browns CEO Joe Banner reiterated at the NFL meetings today that quarterback is not the focus at No. 6, but he didn't rule out taking one early, late or in the middle of the draft.

He said the club will do everything possible to have the best players at every position.

Link

We should be working him out. With our draft position we need to know if he is a potential franchise QB.

Well, I have to admit, I'm surprised by this. Didn't think anything would surprise me.. I was wrong,,, again. sucks to be me somedays.
Posted By: E.Ryze19 Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/18/13 10:17 PM
Working him out is not signing drafting him. I'm for giving Weeden another year, but if for some reason Norv sees Geno as the guy, I'll take it.I absolutuely trust Turner as far as QBs go. I want a stud defender in the 1st, but, if he is better than Weeden, go for it.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/18/13 10:17 PM
Quote:

Exactly, the smoke screens should be getting thicker as the weeks come...
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/19/13 12:24 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Exactly, the smoke screens should be getting thicker as the weeks come...

+1
Posted By: JPPT1974 Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/19/13 12:28 AM
Well he could be going to possibly the Chiefs but that could be changed over now that Alex Smith is going to start. Or to the Bills! Now that Fitzpatrick is out!
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/19/13 04:08 AM
I don't want people to feel like we want him enough that they have to jump US.

Just jump others by trading with us...
Posted By: OverToad Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/19/13 04:24 AM
Quote:

I don't want people to feel like we want him enough that they have to jump US.

Just jump others by trading with us...

Speaking from a purely selfish perspective, I hope a team jumps us to get Smith for two specific reasons. First, I don't want another over-rated QB, as we've gone that route with ever single guy we've taken. And second, if a team jumps us for him, that means another great talent falls into our laps. Such a situation would be a good thing for us.
Posted By: The Big G Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/19/13 10:00 AM
Quote:

I'm for giving Weeden another year, but if for some reason Norv sees Geno as the guy, I'll take it.I absolutuely trust Turner as far as QBs go. I want a stud defender in the 1st, but, if he is better than Weeden, go for it.

Exactly. If we sign Grimes or another decent CB, our needs on defense are almost taken care of. And the chance to get the best QB in the draft won't come again if we actually are improving.
I'm not sure why people keep saying Geno is overrated. He was the consensus No. 1 overall when the college season. His stock fell for no apparent reason. Then he had a command performance at his pro day. So what is the problem? He's fast, he has a great arm, he's a high character guy and he works his ass off. If Norv says he's the man, I can live with it.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/19/13 11:17 AM
"The best QB in the class" is not the same as a "franchise quarterback." If you need a QB and have a chance to get a franchise QB, you take it. If you need a QB and spend a high pick on one just because he's the best one out there at the time, then you are hurting yourself.

His stock fell because his play declined from the early part of the season.

Pro days are pro days. Set up to showcase a player's strengths.

If the powers that be think he is a franchise guy, then by all means get him. If they see him as only the best one this year, then pass.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/19/13 12:39 PM
Yep.

Jamarcus Russell was the top QB in the draft once upon a time. (and our GM at the time tried furiously to trade for him) That same year we did trade away a couple of draft picks to move back into the 1st to draft Brady Quinn ... the "most NFL ready QB in recent memory".

Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, and Christian Ponder were all top 12 picks in 2011.

Sam Bradford was the top overall pick in 2010. He has made some progress, but he's far from being anything resembling a top QB going into his 4th season.

The Jets desperately wanted to trade with us back in 2009 to move up to 6 and grab Mark Sanchez. (the 2nd best QB in the draft)

Just because a player is drafted 1st or 2nd overall at his position doesn't ensure success. Some are even of the opinion that Barkley (lol) may move up to overtake Smith as the top overall QB taken.Now I don't care if he is drafted high, as long as it isn't by us.

I see no value at QB anywhere in the top half of the first round of this draft. Maybe if one of these guys gets to do as Rodgers did, and come in and sit, learn, and develop his skills behind a very good starter, then they might succeed. However, I just don't see success for either guy if thrown into the fire right off the bat.
Posted By: eotab Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/19/13 01:09 PM
In general QBs are the toughest evaluation for the transition. Probably no other position OTHER THAN Wide Receivers Bust out pct. wise.

So do you decide not to draft a QB or a WR in the first round because of that?

The position QB will always elevate the conceived worth of a prospect as well as the contract. There just is not ONE position on the team that will define its competitiveness.

Geno has the technique n God gifted tools to become a star in the NFL...would he be my pick? No but last I looked I do not have a say.

What I do know is these guys did not pick Weeden.
What I do know we have a lot of young players ready to contribute a lot more - ergo we will not be in the top 10 of the draft for quite a while.
What I do know we had Mega Cap Space to invest in precise pieces to add to the youth we have n become a better team.
What I do know we have an excellent OL, RB n a young impressive WR corp.

What I do know is we have had a terrible offense for like...FOREVER!

We did not get the opportunity to draft the SURE THING QB at #4 position in the draft n there were TWO PROSPECTS...What makes you all think one will drop into our laps as we become more competitive?

New Regime...Prospect in the wings who is going on 30 n not yest established that they Inherited. I think he will do well with our new Offense. Still this might be their best chance at a Franchise QB in the draft. I would not be surprised nor could I criticize the New Regime if they went in this direction.

So what is the Smoke Screen? Us doing a private workout with Geno to put him in more prioritized throws from our new playbook...to our WRs who come down to help?

Or Banner stating back in Jan. "We will not be looking at QB with our #6 pick", to again state after our Private Workout - Just taking a look we are not looking to draft a QB

Just guessing...but I think Geno Smith has been the target from DAY ONE! Would love to get Ansah, Jones or Millner. But lets face it. Franchise QB is the one position that has held us back since 99!

I've read posters state they wish they can Morph Weedens Arm to Colt's Legs...well I think that is what Geno Smith gives us...so I will not be surprised nor disappointed if Norv Turner n Chud review this QB n fall in love with his Talent.

I will like whatever we end up taking at #6 - well unless its a WR

JMHO
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/19/13 02:22 PM
Quote:

In general QBs are the toughest evaluation for the transition. Probably no other position OTHER THAN Wide Receivers Bust out pct. wise.

So do you decide not to draft a QB or a WR in the first round because of that?

The position QB will always elevate the conceived worth of a prospect as well as the contract. There just is not ONE position on the team that will define its competitiveness.

Geno has the technique n God gifted tools to become a star in the NFL...would he be my pick? No but last I looked I do not have a say.

What I do know is these guys did not pick Weeden.
What I do know we have a lot of young players ready to contribute a lot more - ergo we will not be in the top 10 of the draft for quite a while.
What I do know we had Mega Cap Space to invest in precise pieces to add to the youth we have n become a better team.
What I do know we have an excellent OL, RB n a young impressive WR corp.

What I do know is we have had a terrible offense for like...FOREVER!

We did not get the opportunity to draft the SURE THING QB at #4 position in the draft n there were TWO PROSPECTS...What makes you all think one will drop into our laps as we become more competitive?

New Regime...Prospect in the wings who is going on 30 n not yest established that they Inherited. I think he will do well with our new Offense. Still this might be their best chance at a Franchise QB in the draft. I would not be surprised nor could I criticize the New Regime if they went in this direction.

So what is the Smoke Screen? Us doing a private workout with Geno to put him in more prioritized throws from our new playbook...to our WRs who come down to help?

Or Banner stating back in Jan. "We will not be looking at QB with our #6 pick", to again state after our Private Workout - Just taking a look we are not looking to draft a QB

Just guessing...but I think Geno Smith has been the target from DAY ONE! Would love to get Ansah, Jones or Millner. But lets face it. Franchise QB is the one position that has held us back since 99!

I've read posters state they wish they can Morph Weedens Arm to Colt's Legs...well I think that is what Geno Smith gives us...so I will not be surprised nor disappointed if Norv Turner n Chud review this QB n fall in love with his Talent.

I will like whatever we end up taking at #6 - well unless its a WR

JMHO

I totally agree with you eo ... +1
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/19/13 03:06 PM
Quote:

Toad the vast majority of the NCAA is going to that offense.

Geno Smith's positive is his natural look seems to be that of a Pocket Passer who can be Mobile if need be. But if you are going to eliminate Spread option guys...who will be left? Stanford QBs only???

I agree, and have been saying so for a number of years.

The future I was talking about 4-5 years ago is about here.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/19/13 03:29 PM
What do you do with Weeden?

Start him and let Gino learn? Waste of a pick when you could wait till next year.

Trade him? Who wants him? (Besides the jets probably)

Let Gino start over him? you're just asking for trouble.

If they think Smith can come in and be productive DAY ONE then you take him and dump Weeden for whatever you can get.

If not you go with Weeden. And if he bombs you get a (better than Weeden and Gino combined) QB next year.
Posted By: DjangoBrown Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/19/13 05:03 PM
Quote:

If not you go with Weeden. And if he bombs you get a (better than Weeden and Gino combined) QB next year.

Forget it, it makes too much sense to play it out with Weeden for better or worse, but our guys can't hold their feet still to add another QB. Up until now, every "rumor" that lasted some weeks became reality, so I don't think it's IF but WHEN these clowns trade for Mallett..and if they do, he's their starter....there will be no competition. He will have a typical season for a 1st time starter, some up and downs and we will hear them say that Mallett needs another season, thus we will NOT draft any of the 3 to 5 1st round worthy QBs in the 2014 draft...typical Browns style.

I'll actually be impressed with this FO if they do the smart thing and not waste any 1st or 2nd rounder on a QB and let 2013 play out with Weeden in a system suited to his strengths....that "non-move" would bump my confidence level over 50% in these guys, but I doubt that'll happen
Posted By: eotab Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/19/13 05:55 PM
Quote:

but our guys can't hold their feet still to add another QB. Up until now, every "rumor" that lasted some weeks became reality,

??? Don't really understand what you mean there. I see you don't agree???

1. Most here are not pimping us taking Geno Smith...most of us are seeing the logic along with Probability that it indeed could become our choice come Draft day.

2. Off to another poster forgot who...but I don't understand that if we choose to Groom Geno for a year or two its conceived as a Wasted pick? I don't get it. A rookie QB is not going to be in his game - its a matter of learning n being ready to play. Kaepernick he learned for a year n half. He turned out good. He was a wasted pick? Philip Rivers who waited 3 years before he got his shot...that was wasted?

Obviously its not a waste if their is somebody who is ready n playing. Is the one season Weeden played enough to give him an edge NOW to be the best QB to start in Sept? That would not make it a wasted 2013 pick. He wold learn n learn the perfect way not via mistakes. But it would all be up to the success of Weeden...if he struggles by mid year Geno could get his start. I guarantee you those 8 games n training camp under his belt before his first start would have him light years ahead then if all got thrown on him to start Game 1. 2014 starter...better foundation laid out then coming straight from college. 2015...I would expect him to be named the starter - if Weeden continues to do well I'd open the doors for a trade n get a kings ransom. Start Geno...I see no waste.

The only waste is if he becomes damaged goods (mentally or physically) n becomes a bust.

But Django this is not about fickle fans. This is simply about a new Regime taking hold n got themselves a 30 year old Project at QB...if they feel Geno is THE GUY...they have no investment in Weeden. I would hope that Weeden would win a competition which would not be indication that we made a mistake with Geno...just means Weeden is more ready for the start!

This is not about me making a draft pick n pimping Geno Smith... this is ME n others posting on a THREAD of thoughts on Geno Smith. It is a possibility that our guys with the power to be want Geno Smith as their QB to build this new O around??? It is not an oddity at all that a Regime with entire change. Owner, CEO, GM, asst. GM, HC, OC n system, DC n system. Nah this would not have us speculate that these guys will decide on picking a QB for their Regime??? Geno the right guy? Nobody is saying - Don't matter if he is Good or BAD we need to get the top QB of this draft regardless of the cost...NAH NOBODY REMOTELY SUGGESTS that. The Draftnicks actually are suggesting Geno might go. 2, 3 or 4 in this draft. Why? those are teams who do not have established franchise QBs...Its a Possibility?

Well if it is for a team that drafted Gabbert two years ago n a lot hire than we did...then it just could be conceptual for this to be our FATE???

Not Probable...but I would hope Weeden starts even if we pick Geno. I think it can only benefit us if Weeden does well n when we start Geno teams will give up a lot for Weeden. I also am of the belief that Geno can best develop with at least one season of grooming. But I'm not making MY PICK MY WISH...I just am looking at the facts and see this as being very probable. If this is what they have decided...I both Understand it n will get behind it as a positive!

JMHO
Posted By: DjangoBrown Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/19/13 06:29 PM
It's easy EO...regardless of Weeden....if we "invest" a 1st for Geno or a 2nd or more for Mallet, than we WON'T draft a QB in 2014, a much better QB class....I can already name you 3 guys that are better prospects than Geno, possibly up to 5.

With Weeden on the roster, it makes even less sense, since we don't even know exactly what we have in him, especially after being forced in a system not suited to him and now moving to a shotgun system that fits his style much better...so by going elswhere at QB this offseason NOT ONLY do we buy high in a crap class, thus inhibiting us to get value at QB in 2014, but we ALSO waste a valuable piece of the 2012 draft class....yeah, I get that they have no ties to Weeden, but that still does not absolve them to do dumb things

Only way I'd accept Geno or Mallet is if we collect value along the way....Geno after a trade down? Very unlikely, as we would not trade down if we think he's THE guy, right? and I'd only accept Mallet if it "only" costs our 3rd or less (unlikely too). In this draft class it might make sense to switch our 6th with the Pats 29th though, which is still the value of a mid 1st but that could make it work for both sides....think about it, what would you rather have? Geno? or Mallett and a low 1st? The latter looks like a better gamble to me, but I'm still talking "lesser evil" here...oh and NO WAY they'd draft Geno or trade for Mallett and Weeden starts, NO WAY

My plan would be: add Kolb on a 1 year deal for competition at QB, trade out of the 6th pick for more value and not think about the QB position before the 3rd round

Btw, I could care less to "follow" the new FOs thought process...I voice my opinion on what would be the best thing for the Browns, not what the egos of a new regime want
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/19/13 07:10 PM
Just curious but I like the long term potential of Jones and Manuel better than that of Geno and Barkley. I think Manuel goes in the 2nd but I would take Jones with our 3rd and have him absorb this offense behind Weeden. That would not preclude us from drafting a QB in the 1st next year but it will help us to develop the QB position. You look at what the backup QB has been traded for lately and it is well worth that investment.

The A&M vs Okla game last year sold me on Jones running Chud's offense in the AFC North in the worst weather conditions. His ball slices the wind like Farve and I see enough to work with.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/19/13 09:13 PM
Toad, this has "trade down" written all over it potentially. I want our guy there. At 6. Don't be too cute with a sub-par draft unless you have had a great FA run. Not sure what part of the competition is the new offense, but these are two different packages in Weeds and Smith. Think we CAN lock down another corner at 6. Wait and see, I guess, but this feels worse as it wears on.
Posted By: bigj424 Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/19/13 10:12 PM
My hope is we get Jones in the 3rd round.He could push Weeden and then Norv could work with him and he could take over if weeden dosen't get the job done this year.
Posted By: Heldawg Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/19/13 10:33 PM
How many minds are going to be blown when we trade our first, next years first and more picks to trade up and get Geno?
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/19/13 10:43 PM
Quote:

before the Alex Smith deal heard draftnicks stating Geno Smith might go to the Chiefs...lol Talking heads say the darndest things (in my best Art Linkletter voice).

Doesn't justify a top 10 pick. After 10 I think there is a big gap of teams not looking at QB? But in this new Rookie CAP era if you DO NOT HAVE a Franchise QB you got to take the risk which is not as much as before...Contract is reasonable n because he is in the first you get him signed long enough to develop him. So who knows???

All depends on Chud/Norv how they assess him.

I'm telling you dawgs...take a look at this kid Peter Lalich - 5th 6th round pick...It could be the steal of the draft!

JMHO

The Browns aren't selecting Geno Smith. In my estimation, they're having him do a private workout with them to see for themselves what he has and what they could reasonably expect to get in return if they traded out of the #6 spot.

Geno Smith will be doing private workouts with several teams, some of them obviously looking for a QB. They want to see with their own eyes what they would be trading away.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/19/13 11:12 PM
Quote:

How many minds are going to be blown when we trade our first, next years first and more picks to trade up and get Geno?

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/19/13 11:16 PM
Quote:

I'll actually be impressed with this FO if they do the smart thing and not waste any 1st or 2nd rounder on a QB and let 2013 play out with Weeden in a system suited to his strengths....that "non-move" would bump my confidence level over 50% in these guys, but I doubt that'll happen

I didn't realize that there was a system in the NFL where you build a campfire, roast marshmellows, sing KumBaYah, and then throw the football.

As I expressed earlier, I really don't want us to draft Smith either, but it's tough wasting another year on a mental midget.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/19/13 11:19 PM
Quote:

Quote:

I didn't realize that there was a system in the NFL where you build a campfire, roast marshmellows, sing KumBaYah, and then throw the football.

As I expressed earlier, I really don't want us to draft Smith either, but it's tough wasting another year on a mental midget.

You know that McCoy is still on the team and isn't a mental midget, right? He's also likely to be in the mix to win the starting job.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/19/13 11:23 PM
Not a huge McCoy fan, but I do think he is a better qb than Weeden.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/19/13 11:25 PM
Quote:

Sorry Vers but I am a McCoy fan and I have to strongly disagree ... and respectfully ...
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/19/13 11:31 PM
No problem, Pastor.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/20/13 02:20 AM
Quote:

do you mean literally? because I think jumping off the bridge into the MetroParks Zoo is still the preferred way to go.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/20/13 02:54 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Sorry Vers but I am a McCoy fan and I have to strongly disagree ... and respectfully ...

I'm a Browns fan but I think that McCoy is a better QB than Weeden because he's smarter than Weeden by leaps.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/20/13 04:32 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm a Browns fan but I think that McCoy is a better QB than Weeden because he's smarter than Weeden by leaps.

We'll never go anywhere with McCoy. We might go somewhere with Weeden.
Posted By: DjangoBrown Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/20/13 07:58 AM
Quote:

I have no idea how you came to this conclusion, but I respectfully disagree too, it ain't even close imho. I guess it's that old "rooting for the underdog" vs "hating on the underachiever with talent" thing that overvalues a dude like McCoy in comparison to Weeden...Colt has shown time and again that he is not a NFL QB. His "toughness" and especially his "mental" makeup have always been incredibly overrated too among Browns fans. The only AVG or above AVG tool he has are his wheels as a QB...he never had any upside and that's why he fell to the low 3rd in one of the weakest QB classes I can remember

Weeden? We will see or maybe not if we get someone else in, but he's in another world as Colt

Btw, McCoy will be cut the moment we draft/sign ANY QB, as we won't pay him over 2mil to do nothing in his last season as a Brown
Posted By: DjangoBrown Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/20/13 08:14 AM
Quote:

Just curious but I like the long term potential of Jones and Manuel better than that of Geno and Barkley. I think Manuel goes in the 2nd but I would take Jones with our 3rd and have him absorb this offense behind Weeden. That would not preclude us from drafting a QB in the 1st next year but it will help us to develop the QB position. You look at what the backup QB has been traded for lately and it is well worth that investment.

The A&M vs Okla game last year sold me on Jones running Chud's offense in the AFC North in the worst weather conditions. His ball slices the wind like Farve and I see enough to work with.

I've said all along that I'd have no problem in investing a 3rd or 4th on a guy like Jones, Manuel or Bray...for different reasons. Foremost, I think that's where the "value" of this QB class is at and 2nd, I think it's the smart thing to do, since we don't know what we have in Weeden and have no real backup QB for 2014 anyway with McCoy gone....so since QB is a difficult position to transition to the NFL, it's smart to invest BEFORE you need, so that the investment gets some practice and experience in
Posted By: Heldawg Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/20/13 08:44 AM
Quote:

Quote:

do you mean literally? because I think jumping off the bridge into the MetroParks Zoo is still the preferred way to go.

I'm not saying I want this to happen. Nor do I think it's going to happen.

But it's well within the realm of possibility and if it happens....well....I guess I will be more than a little upset.
Posted By: The Big G Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/20/13 10:00 AM
I'd be happy with a late flyer on Lalich. There's something about that kid. He's hip and eccentric, a little like McMahon back in the day. But he seems to have prototypical skills.
Posted By: eotab Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/20/13 01:02 PM
Again I'm posting on what I think is possible/probable from our FO come draft day, on a thread asking about Geno Smith. Anarchy quoted my personal opinion.

Its not what you or I would do - its what they would do.

2014 - you mean wait till next year? Yeah I heard that about Joe Thomas - next year we could take Jake Long...of course our 1st round pick in 08 would have been #22??? n Long went #1. For all we know we can be in a slot that have 5 QBs taken before we get a chance to pick.

I've said it all along n YES I'm passing the Buck.

IF...."IF" Chud/Norv really like Geno Smith - then I am pretty sure he will be our pick if available. Not me...Not you. Chud n Norv the ones who will inherit him. And I put down the LOGIC behind my claim. Which you never addressed btw. Where will we pick next year? A team cannot say things like...well we really like this kid. But next year there are 4 guys Who MIGHT be better prospects...lets take a chance we can Draft one of them. What ever happened with the reality of a Bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush.

I am not working him out. I am not putting him in a classroom n doing a skull session with him. I am not sitting down in the film room with him asking what he reads...I do know he has n NFL arm. He has good footwork. He has escapability. If Chud n Norv study him in depth and come out with the agreement they like him as THE GUY. No way they say...BUT WAIT A SEC...we might be able to do better next year lets pass.

I got 3 guys on my personal list n in this order.
1. Ansah OLB
2. Jones OLB
3. Millner CB

Those are my personal choices regarding our #6 pick.
But the author is asking for my "THOUGHTS" on Geno Smith. These are them.

I am preparing myself mentally for that direction not cause I covet it. But because it could be the direction they (FO n Coaching Staff) go.

JMHO
Posted By: bonefish Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/20/13 02:20 PM

When the dust settles on the quarterback debate the question you have to ask is:

Do you believe that Brandon Weeden is capable of leading a team to a winning season?

Winning games in the clutch? Down four points late in the game against division rivals and winning games when the team is looking at "You" to win?

Posting a winning record and getting into the playoffs.

Then going against the best teams to win a championship?

If not now then when? 2014, 2015, 2016?

Doubts? Well you are not alone. Haslam and company have doubts. They didn't draft Weeden. Their goal is to produce a consistent winning team. Not a one year wonder. They have made it clear there will be competition.

So far no QB has been added. So it looks like the draft will have to supply competition.

You have to look at the draft now the sixth pick not 2014 which is an unknown.

For the most part great quarterbacks are early first round selections. Yes, of course there has been quarterbacks picked later who have become great. But there is no debate that the later the pick the longer the odds.

So we come to this years quarterback class.

My opinion is Banner and company have to identify the guy they believe can be "their guy" and go get him. If that is Geno then go get him. If it is someone else
like Manuel, Landry Jones, Barkley, Tyler Wilson, or Matt Scott then move in the draft accordingly.

In my opinion Tyler Wilson would be a steal in the third. I also like Matt Scott.
===========================================================

"IF...."IF" Chud/Norv really like Geno Smith - then I am pretty sure he will be our pick if available. Not me...Not you. Chud n Norv the ones who will inherit him. And I put down the LOGIC behind my claim. Which you never addressed btw. Where will we pick next year? A team cannot say things like...well we really like this kid. But next year there are 4 guys Who MIGHT be better prospects...lets take a chance we can Draft one of them. What ever happened with the reality of a Bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush.

I am not working him out. I am not putting him in a classroom n doing a skull session with him. I am not sitting down in the film room with him asking what he reads...I do know he has n NFL arm. He has good footwork. He has escapability. If Chud n Norv study him in depth and come out with the agreement they like him as THE GUY. No way they say...BUT WAIT A SEC...we might be able to do better next year lets pass."
==========================================================

I totally agree with you here. You can not look down the road.

If they believe Geno has what it takes then pull the trigger.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/20/13 04:25 PM
Quote:

We'll never go anywhere with McCoy. We might go somewhere with Weeden.

Yeah, to 5-11 or 4-12. With better talent, Weeden managed a record no better than McCoy.

McCoy's ability to get a first down with his feet makes him already a better option than Weeden unless Weeden develops into an older version of Andrew Luck overnight.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/20/13 05:47 PM
We won 5 games in 2010:
Wallace started the Bengals game that we won 23-20
Delhomme started the Panthers and Dolphins victories.
McCoy started the Saints and Patriots victories. He threw for 74 yards in the Pats game ..... just so we don't over-emphasize his play in that game.

We won 4 games in 2011

We won 5 games last year.

McCoy has never won more than 4 games in any season.

Weeden won 5 games last year.

I am confused how you feel that 4 = 5?
Posted By: eotab Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/20/13 08:28 PM
bonefish a lot of those questions about Weeden unfortunately cannot be answered until put to the fire. I didn't see too much of the "IT" factor in last season regardless of the bad environment...I did wish I saw more of "IT". Colt on the other hand showed a lot of that "IT" factor in 2010 until he turned that ankle. Somehow under the new leadership or anit-leadership (which ever way you wish to look at it) Colt had the "IT" factor pretty much disappear in 2011.

As for Weeden can he win the big games. Championship games. All I do know is in 2011 he did beat RG3, LUCK n TANNEHILL if that equates to that "CAN HE WIN" question you put out there...n I think one of them - forgot which one might have been their Bowl Game. So he came to us as someone who can WIN.

I think his COMFORT LEVEL some might equate that to CONFIDENCE LEVEL seems to fit into what our new system is. Also Chud n Norv I think can make ANY QB (so no QB has an edge over the other) Comfortable in their system by not asking of them things they Cannot or are NOT ready to do. Something I think our last Leaders were terrible at. It just coming into the NFL Weedens best positives all seem to be for a Vertical Stretch System - Where instead of a triangle system cluttering a small designed area...we got a tier system where there is a 40 - 20 - 10 (then check down) options. I think the Pre-snap reads will be easier. But I think Weeden can get comfortable in a 5 drop system - he led the NFL in blocked passes on the LOS. He needs to get more depth on his drops but again a lot to do with the clutter where the passing lanes were clogged n the Triangle was grouped too close together.

If Weeden was 23/24...I think we would be able to easier commit to him. Which again not picking him as their Franchise Prospect...I can see Chud/Norv picking one...whether its at #6 or Mid to late Round to Develop (but its a rare occasion for a true Franchise QB come out of the woodwork.

Why I think 6th round Lalich is as good a shot as any! He seems to have that confidence n I wish I could see him more - but Supposedly he throws the best ball zip, spiral, accuracy of all the QBs in this draft.

What is there to lose
JMHO
Posted By: The Big G Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/20/13 09:13 PM
This might sound crazy, but I could see taking Geno AND a late flyer on Lalich. That way, Lalich is an insurance policy in case Smith turns out to be Andre Ware. But again, Norv knows QBs. If Lalich is the real deal, grab a CB or OLB in first and then Lalich in the third if you think you have to. I like him better than Glennon/Jones/Wilson/Dysart/etc.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/20/13 11:36 PM
Quote:

We won 5 games in 2010:
Wallace started the Bengals game that we won 23-20
Delhomme started the Panthers and Dolphins victories.
McCoy started the Saints and Patriots victories. He threw for 74 yards in the Pats game ..... just so we don't over-emphasize his play in that game.

We won 4 games in 2011

We won 5 games last year.

McCoy has never won more than 4 games in any season.

Weeden won 5 games last year.

I am confused how you feel that 4 = 5?

Yay! 5 Wins!

Get your mouth of Weeden's jock strap, will ya? It's not a good look.

Weeden had better talent and more protection than McCoy did. Furthermore, McCoy wasn't supposed to start his rookie season but was thrust into it. He was, it would seem, to be forced to sit and learn. What he got was a baptism by fire. Weeden was anointed to the position and underachieved.

I'm all for a fair competition to see who wins the job and in that sense, I think Weeden loses because he's just not smart enough to be an NFL QB. Weeden has a stronger arm than McCoy but has half the ability to run an offense.

Don't believe me? Would you believe Trent Richardson, who has more intimate knowledge than we do. and isn't afraid to say it.

Maybe his former coach at Okie State, Jake Spivatal, can convince you that he doesn't put in the effort to improve his game.

McCoy is the leader, not Weeden. McCoy is the one that got the playbook before the lockout and held the 'Camp Colt' sessions with the players, organizing them himself.

All you Weeden sycophants are nothing more than jock sniffers! The guy is a bust and never should have been drafted. If there is an actual competition for the job, Weeden will lose. He'd lose to any college level QB willing to put in the work.

Of the QBs currently on the roster, McCoy gives you the best chance to win games. Thaddeus Lewis gives you the second best chance and Weeden is the worst QB on the roster.

Say what you want about 'abilities' and this or that. It all comes down to who will win your team the most games. Weeden isn't that person. Period.

So many people on this board ridiculed the idea of bringing in Alex Smith, saying that the Browns already have such a player on the roster with McCoy. Well, it seems that Dwayne Bowe in KC likes what he sees going on in KC. That's why he re-upped with them instead of testing the free agent market. I would go so far as to say that if the Browns had gone elsewhere in the draft than Weeden last year and kept McCoy as their starter, the team would have won more games and would be perceived by free agents on the offensive side of the ball better than they currently are.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/20/13 11:59 PM
It doesn't matter who they choose, as long as they play well enough to win (which is different than winning btw)

Because no matter who they put out there, if they don't play well it will be second guessed.

"Weeden could of made that deep pass"
"McCoy could of ran that for a first down"

The only thing worse than having no QB is having two.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/21/13 12:38 AM
Quote:

Really? Tell that to San Francisco. They got a lot in return for trading Alex Smith. Tell that to the Redskins. When RG3 went down, Kirk Cousins won them a game as a starting QB. Oh yeah. That game was against us. And that one win was the difference in them making the playoffs or not making the playoffs.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/21/13 03:18 AM
You might just want to get yours off of McCoy's .....

Just saying.

I have said that I don't know if Weden is the answer, but I do know that McCoy is not. He does absolutely nothing well, except throw against soft zones. He creates no big plays.

Weeden had more talent around him last year, but absolutely no experience. We started rookies at RT, RB, WR, had a 2nd rookie WR on the field frequently, and the other receiver was a 2nd year player who was plagued by drops throughout the 1st half of last year.

Neither guy was put into the best of situations, but McCoy has shown no ability to be an NFL QB, at least after his rookie season. He did OK as a rookie, until teams figured him out late in his rookie season. He has never been effective since.

At least Weeden has an arm, and understands how to put the ball in front of a receiver so they can run with it. This has consistently escaped McCoy throughout his career.

As far as Trent "slamming" Weeden ...... gee ... a rookie QB had trouble reading defenses, imagine that. McCoy still can't read a defense, and he's a 4th year player.

Oh well, enjoy your McCoy crush.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/21/13 03:26 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Really? Tell that to San Francisco. They got a lot in return for trading Alex Smith. Tell that to the Redskins. When RG3 went down, Kirk Cousins won them a game as a starting QB. Oh yeah. That game was against us. And that one win was the difference in them making the playoffs or not making the playoffs.

Couch/Holcomb
Quinn/Anderson

When you have two GOOD QBs? Yeah sure, that's great, but USUALLY it's easy to tell which ones the starter. Hell SF didn't know they had two QBs till they actually played Cap. And Smith was still somewhat seen as a "Game Manager"

Two average QBs? You might as well flip a coin... wait...
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/21/13 04:40 AM
Quote:

Green Bay — Too many personal film sessions ran long. When Jake Spavital returned to his office at West Virginia, quarterback Geno Smith was usually camped out watching tape. The quarterbacks coach had no choice but to shag Smith away. The quarterback had class.

So then, Spavital had a solution.

“I got him an iPad so he’d go to class,” said Spavital, who is now at Texas A&M. “And then he’d start watching the iPad tape in class, which causes more distractions.”

A constant need for film paid off. Smith is widely considered the top quarterback prospect in this year's NFL draft class.

Questions dominate the position. Unlike last year, there isn't an Andrew Luck or a Robert Griffin III rampaging into the NFL. West Virginia’s Smith is the headliner and could go as high as No. 1 overall to the Kansas City Chiefs. On Tuesday, Spavital described Smith as the quintessential “film junkie.” Through these last few years, he has coached the record-setting Case Keenum at Houston, Brandon Weeden at Oklahoma State and then Smith.

Out of the three, Smith was the most complete quarterback. And while outsiders may have doubts, Spavital believes Smith has a skill-set that will translate to the pros.

To him, the Chiefs have to take Geno Smith first overall.

“I think it’s a no-brainer to take the first quarterback overall,” he said. “I’ve been around some pretty good ones and I’ve never seen a guy that’s this complete as a quarterback. And he’s hungry.”

On that iPad, Smith watched every snap of Aaron Rodgers’ season in 2011. Sometimes, Spavital joined him but usually Smith watched the Packers quarterback on his own. The 6-foot-3, 215-pounder began mimicking Rodgers’ play-action tendencies. The Packers and Mountaineers run a handful of similar formations. In the split-back, play-action game, Smith noticed that Rodgers rides a prolonged fake to the running back to protect himself longer in the pocket.

So he started doing the same thing at West Virginia.

Same story with Drew Brees. Smith liked how Brees pump-faked the opposite direction before throwing screen passes to backs, so he picked that habit up, too.

“He studies it,” Spavital said. “With Brandon Weeden, I couldn’t say that about him. I love the guy to death but he had some good guys around him. Brandon knew how to get the ball to those guys. There were times at West Virginia when (Smith) had to create things.”

All three quarterbacks Spavital coached were very different. He said Keenum had the quickest release of the three but didn’t measure up physically. Weeden had the “strongest arm” but also benefited from a strong supporting cast.

Smith was the best overall player. Neither Weeden or Keenum were quite the student of the game, too.

“He could do it all,” Spavital said. “He could be under center. He can throw out of the shotgun. He can throw comebacks. He can pull it and run when he needs to. We got to do some pretty good stuff with Geno because he was such a good student of the game and we could do anything with him. ... He impresses me a lot with the things that he can do — how he operates the game, how he studies. He would actually sit there and bring ideas to the table. There were times when we let him check 80% of the game. We put a lot on him and he’s capable of doing that."

Smith finished the 2012 season with 4,205 passing yards, 42 touchdowns and only six interceptions. At times, he was video-game efficient.

In a 70-63 win over Baylor, Smith was a mind-boggling 45 of 51 for 656 yards with eight touchdowns and no picks. The next week — surrounded by 100,000-plus at Texas — he led West Virginia to a 48-45 win. And when Smith couldn't feel his hands in a frigid win over Iowa State, he pretended to do play-action fakes in the screen game to get a better grip on the ball.

Said Spavital, "He knows how to think on his feet and be creative with things.”

But there was also that whole five-game losing streak in the middle of the season. Smith's early grip on the Heisman Trophy slipped away and the Mountaineers’ season ended with a thud against Syracuse when Smith was less than impressive. Spavital admits Smith didn't have enough touch on his deep ball as a junior, but said the mid-season struggles in 2012 were a reflection of coaches asking him to do too much more than Smith himself.

Overall, an attention to detail fed Smith's growth and he mostly shed any potential "system quarterback" label. Smith operated in the shotgun and under center. Immediately after each home game, Smith and Spavital watched a replay of the full game together. Smith cleaned up, grabbed food and brought it to his coach's office. He needed to see it while it was fresh in his mind.

From there, Spavital said the quarterback would watch that Saturday's game “four or five times” before their next meeting together.

At the NFL scouting combine, Smith now has a chance to cash in.

“There are those guys that are ‘what can football do for me?’ He’s ‘what can I do for football,’” Spavital said. “That’s how he approaches it. You take the game away from him and he’s got nothing.”

Link

Huh? Really? If this is true. . .
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/21/13 03:13 PM
of course it's true. I've been saying, Geno is a good QB. For me the only thing he's really missing is elite arm strength.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/21/13 04:35 PM
It has always been hard to get a good read on college QB's translation to the NFL but now it is insanely difficult. My breakdown on smith.

Smith has good feet and balance, he sets his feet quickly and that is probably my favorite attribute of the kid. Pretty good arm, nothing that really stands out. He keeps his eyes downfield even when rolling out of the pocket. He tends to drift a bit in the pocket, which his OL in the pros will have to become accustomed to.

I see decent accuracy to all levels of the field but nothing that really stands out. He is hitting a lot of stationary targets or targets down the field with a huge cushion that can adjust to the flight of the ball. I dont want to knock a QB for having receivers that can get open but we havent seen him hit the tight window.

If I am taking a qb top 10 I want to wowed with something. Hell taking any player top 10, there has to be a wow factor. Kid may end up being great but right now there is nothing that screams elite. Even Weeden has wow arm strength and wow he is really freaking old for a rookie lol.

I just havent seen anything that makes me believe he is going to be a star at the next level and I want star potential in the top 10. If I stay at 6, I probably take Rhodes or Jones then bargain shop potential QBs in the 3rd or 4th.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/21/13 04:37 PM
Quote:

You might just want to get yours off of McCoy's .....

Just saying.

I don't care who the QB is. I just happen to think that McCoy is a good enough QB and he's better than your round 1 QB.

Sorry, just the way that I see it. Nobody other than Weeden's sycophants can say something good about Weeden. Wasn't Weeden supposed to be the answer? Why all the QB competition talk? Why is there even a thread about Geno Smith?

We're talking about drafting or otherwise bring in QBs to find a starter whose name isn't Brandon Weeden - and yet, the Cleveland radio and TV personalities are convincing the fan base that Weeden's crap doesn't stink but smells like eternal roses.

Quote:

I have said that I don't know if Weeden is the answer, but I do know that McCoy is not. He does absolutely nothing well, except throw against soft zones. He creates no big plays.

Okay. Whatever. You keep saying it but I could give you examples otherwise. Now, tell us how you conclude that Weeden MIGHT be the QB for the Browns.

Quote:

Weeden had more talent around him last year, but absolutely no experience. We started rookies at RT, RB, WR, had a 2nd rookie WR on the field frequently, and the other receiver was a 2nd year player who was plagued by drops throughout the 1st half of last year.

No experience? He's going to be 30 in October and spent 5 years in the Yankees organization. He's got experience and he was taken in the first round. Andrew Luck didn't have experience. Neither did RG3, Ryan Tannehill or Russell Wilson. Colin Kaepernick had less game experience when he was thrust into the job than Weeden had but he still performed.

Quit sniffing Weeden's jock strap. It's unbecoming of you.

Quote:

Neither guy was put into the best of situations, but McCoy has shown no ability to be an NFL QB, at least after his rookie season. He did OK as a rookie, until teams figured him out late in his rookie season. He has never been effective since.

The concussion and then not getting the shot to start again. He got Alex Smith treatment - or Alex Smith got Colt McCoy treatment.

Quote:

At least Weeden has an arm, and understands how to put the ball in front of a receiver so they can run with it. This has consistently escaped McCoy throughout his career.

When you're going to make things up, at least make it a believable fabrication.

Quote:

As far as Trent "slamming" Weeden ...... gee ... a rookie QB had trouble reading defenses, imagine that. McCoy still can't read a defense, and he's a 4th year player.

Oh well, enjoy your McCoy crush.

Blah, blah, blah. You bring everything back to McCoy. Even when Trent Richardson lambasts your boyfriend, you get all defensive and throw in McCoy's name.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/21/13 04:53 PM
Quote:

“He studies it,” Spavital said. “With Brandon Weeden, I couldn’t say that about him. I love the guy to death but he had some good guys around him. Brandon knew how to get the ball to those guys. There were times at West Virginia when (Smith) had to create things.”

I'd be remiss if I didn't point out this little nugget given some of the discussions on here over the past 16 months or so. This is Brandon Weeden's college quarterbacks coach basically saying blackmon made weeden and not the other way around.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/21/13 05:01 PM
Not that part, the part about Weeden not being a hard worker.
Posted By: Haus Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/21/13 08:04 PM
Quote:

It doesn't matter who they choose, as long as they play well enough to win (which is different than winning btw)

Because no matter who they put out there, if they don't play well it will be second guessed.

"Weeden could of made that deep pass"
"McCoy could of ran that for a first down"

Quote:

Couch/Holcomb
Quinn/Anderson

When you have two GOOD QBs? Yeah sure, that's great, but USUALLY it's easy to tell which ones the starter. Hell SF didn't know they had two QBs till they actually played Cap. And Smith was still somewhat seen as a "Game Manager"

Two average QBs? You might as well flip a coin... wait...

2 good QBs is Montana and Young, or Favre and Rodgers, or Brees and Rivers. Vick/Schaub, McNabb/Kolb/Vick, Brady/Cassel, and Smith/Kaep are other examples. Sure maybe not all of those guys' careers turned out how it was thought, but the ones that got traded all netted a 2nd round pick or more.

What we have had, and what we currently have (until proven otherwise), is firmly in the 'have 0 QBs' category.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/22/13 02:44 AM
Arizona has No QB.

Before the Smith trade KC had No QB.

We have two guys here that have shown "promise" and haven't outlasted their welcome ala Cassel/Kolb and others.

If we had No QB we could easily justify going and getting one. But because we have "two" we almost HAVE to see what at least one of them have.
Posted By: OverToad Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/22/13 02:57 AM
We do have two QB's? Looks to me like the organization doesn't believe that, and isn't even sure we have one. In fact I would pose to the city of Cleveland that we're closer to not having a starting QB on this team than having one.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Early Thoughts on Gino Smith - 03/22/13 03:46 AM
If we draft a QB, then obviously the FO doesn't even want to wait to see what Weeden/Colt has...

But then what happens when they're new guy "wins" the starting job? Isn't that the same thing everyone had a problem with before?

With this FO change, I really wish we could of just wiped the QB slate clean and start over, transitioning with guys here is just awkward...

Plus maybe Randy should of dropped a hint to H&H about the sale, and not wasted a 1st round pick on a QB...
© DawgTalkers.net