All Pro
T
wow! I like this Lalich kid.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

But you mention that he keeps his eyes downfield when pressured as a pro. But then you mention as a concern that he doesn't use his feet to make plays. You can't have it both ways, can you? Just nitpicking.

LOL, I guess you got me.

I was referring to a list of notes I took when I watched Smith play. I thought it was important to state that he really doesn't make plays w/his feet that guys like RGIII, Cam, Wilson, Luck, Ben, and Rodgers do. I think many people are under the impression he does.

E
Legend
Legend
E
He can run if he had to and when he does he has the speed n skills to get the most out of it. But I sort of like that out of him...Make Plays??? No, not so much with his feet but in extending plays n finding open WRs he is not bad at it at all?

Really the bad rap on him is the Inconsistencies. Accuracy under pressure...I just don't know many QBs if any that are accurate under pressure. Its the MO to beat Brady probably the most accurate QB around...Even Rogers Hit him hard n often. Eli too. Maybe the best I've seen is Payton Manning...only cause he can anticipate it n throw from a strict 3 step (less than 2 seconds) n burn teams.

I think in developing a QB there is a fine line...he will see it more n learn how best to cope with it. Or he will not n become damaged goods mentally as well as physically.

I think Payton is so good at it cause the first 10 years or so of his career...he led the NFL in Not even getting knocked down at all. This gave him confidence to improve his skills n then when Tarik Glenn retired he started to get hit n pressured unlike he ever did before. But he adjusted - still paid the price (broken neck?) but had dealt with it more than any I've seen. I think we got that kind of OL here for a young QB to develop. Of course there will be some pressure but it won't be like Couch or Carr or Luck last season who got hit more than any QB in the NFL - he handled it well but if the Colts don't fix it...(OL) he could become damaged goods (what a waste). We have a pretty good environment here for a QB to develop n succeed.

Geno is nowhere on my personal target...which means absolutely nothing until I become a Multi-Billionaire n buy the team... 999,999,000.00 to go...lol

Still if Chud n Norv...feel not he is the best in this Draft...but that he will be THE GUY. So be it - I'm fine with that. I still say Weeden starts and groom GS n if Weeden just doesn't show growth...He can start Mid-season that is Weeden at the worst. If Weeden shines there is no rush...Of course not playing your overall #6 is frowned upon. But I think we are entering a new era considering the Rookie Cap doesn't force teams to start those early QBs to justify the $$$$ spent. Also Norv had a #4 in Rivers n because of the good play of Brees had no problem developing him from the outside looking in.

JMHO - I'll go with Chud/Norv decisions. Now if its all Banner/Lombardi n forced on the two...It won't be good. But I will not make that assumption...I would wait till that became FACT before chastising the FO.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Choices aren't great

But just a dumb question (dumb because I don't think he'll be there when we pick)

Does anyone think that E. J. Manuel could be good in the 3rd round. or is he another DA?

He might go higher than the 3rd. No he isn't close to being DA.
Remember one thing about when you want to compare any QB to him.His football IQ is low ,very low.
If he is asked to think and analize he cannot do it.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Really the bad rap on him is the Inconsistencies.

tab, those were my notes from when I watched him. I don't care what the national reports say because those are the things I saw.

Rookie
Rookie
Vers. I understand what your saying about making plays with his legs, and he doesn't do that much at all. I agree. Its just my personal opinion, but I'd rather have my QB looking downfield rather then look to run. So I would call it a positive. I'd rather have to get in thw QBs ear about running more then have to do it about running less, ala RGIII. Those guys just don't seem to last a long time. You don't see many old running QBs.

OH and eo.. if I chip in a couple bucks can I have some say in personel decisions???

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong." John Gierach
Legend
Legend
RG3 and Russel Wilson were pass first guys last year.

Most of their runs were out of read option. Which while is there decision to keep it. Is still the coach calling the play.

Wilson made a living out of his spin out and roll move. But still passed it more than he ran.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

My analysis of Geno Smith:

There is plenty to like about Geno. When you watch him you see all the aspects that make up a good quarterback. He had a sparkling 71.2% comp percentage last year with a career 67.4 . His int's percentage was terrific 42 TD's 6 int's. Career passing efficiency rating 153.5 outstanding. No fumbles in four years.

In many ways he reminds me of a streaky NBA shooter. When he is in rhythm; he can light it up.

He can also make throws that you just go WOW!

At the same time he can miss guys that are wide open and should not be missed. He can miss by a lot. You don't know if it was him or the receiver but you think?? What happened?

His footwork when not under pressure is good and he will throw a good ball. Nice tight spiral with a good quick release.

Under pressure things break down. Footwork goes haywire and that is when the inconsistency comes in his accuracy.

From all I have read and heard he is a good kid who will work hard at his game. He appears to have good command of the huddle.

In the OK game when the team was down he was working the sidelines encouraging his teammates. I loved that.

He has all the physical tools size, speed, arm strength.

In the end though I have some lingering doubts. I wish I liked him more. Luck and Griffin kind of spoiled me when looking at QB prospects. Hardly fare to compare with those guys. But you do.

The offense they ran at WVA is a long way from what is run in the NFL. He will need to learn the footwork from under center. How quickly he makes the adjustment to the pro game is a question. He has not seen anything like NFL defenses. How fast will he learn progression reads and route trees in the NFL is anybodies guess.

Andrew Luck was the best QB prospect I have ever seen coming out of college. I felt he was sure thing.

Geno Smith has the potential to be very good. However, he is not sure thing. There is risk.

The Browns though have to really examine him under a microscope and bright lights. We do not have a winning QB on the roster. No matter how you slice and dice it. Weeden is a question mark at best. McCoy is not viewed as a starter.

You do not know when you will pick 6th again. You can not expect to compete against the best teams and win a championship without a great quarterback.

Until the Browns identify a true franchise quarterback they have to keep looking.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

My analysis of Geno Smith:

There is plenty to like about Geno. When you watch him you see all the aspects that make up a good quarterback. He had a sparkling 71.2% comp percentage last year with a career 67.4 . His int's percentage was terrific 42 TD's 6 int's. Career passing efficiency rating 153.5 outstanding. No fumbles in four years.

In many ways he reminds me of a streaky NBA shooter. When he is in rhythm; he can light it up.

He can also make throws that you just go WOW!

At the same time he can miss guys that are wide open and should not be missed. He can miss by a lot. You don't know if it was him or the receiver but you think?? What happened?

His footwork when not under pressure is good and he will throw a good ball. Nice tight spiral with a good quick release.

Under pressure things break down. Footwork goes haywire and that is when the inconsistency comes in his accuracy.

From all I have read and heard he is a good kid who will work hard at his game. He appears to have good command of the huddle.

In the OK game when the team was down he was working the sidelines encouraging his teammates. I loved that.

He has all the physical tools size, speed, arm strength.

In the end though I have some lingering doubts. I wish I liked him more. Luck and Griffin kind of spoiled me when looking at QB prospects. Hardly fare to compare with those guys. But you do.

The offense they ran at WVA is a long way from what is run in the NFL. He will need to learn the footwork from under center. How quickly he makes the adjustment to the pro game is a question. He has not seen anything like NFL defenses. How fast will he learn progression reads and route trees in the NFL is anybodies guess.

Andrew Luck was the best QB prospect I have ever seen coming out of college. I felt he was sure thing.

Geno Smith has the potential to be very good. However, he is not sure thing. There is risk.

The Browns though have to really examine him under a microscope and bright lights. We do not have a winning QB on the roster. No matter how you slice and dice it. Weeden is a question mark at best. McCoy is not viewed as a starter.

You do not know when you will pick 6th again. You can not expect to compete against the best teams and win a championship without a great quarterback.

Until the Browns identify a true franchise quarterback they have to keep looking.

We don't need to draft a QB in the 1st-3rd rds. ... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B

E
Legend
Legend
E
Got it - regarding your assessment is from the eye not browsing the web

I too watched him - well after his amazing start (in my Is he RG3 Part Deux quest) That is where I thought he made some amazing accurate passes n then he would disappear for a game or two. Ergo without going into some vast Detail...for me at #6 just too inconsistent which is why when I state I'm ok if Chud/Norv feel he is worth it...it always comes with the condition that we start Weeden n develop him.

As for the General consensus being Inconsistent - mainly cause that is the common denominator I have seen but more important pretty much what I saw also...some very very special good. But then disappearing. In those games of very good I didn't see many flaws at all. In the ones where he did not do well they just popped up out of no where??? I got a feeling he might not go as soon as some expect...the later the better dropping QBs back...I would love to have a Glennon there at our 3rd round pick. I think he would do well under Chud/Norv. Outside of him...I want that Diamond in the Rough Pie in the Sky pick Lalich our last pick

JMHO I'm sure everything you critiqued you saw we differ sometimes in what can be fixed or not. Why btw QB is the toughest evaluation from College to draft.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I love Geno. I would have no problem taking him No. 1 overall. Here's something I wrote in January:

Pros

Geno Smith possesses excellent ball placement and rarely misfires. He can accurately throw the ball at all levels of the field.

Smith has the athleticism to move outside of the pocket and scramble for first downs. His inclination, however, is to stand in the pocket and pass the ball.

In the face of pressure, Smith remains calm and delivers the ball without panic. He does an excellent job of throwing from different platforms and retaining accuracy regardless of how awkward the situation is. He does a great job of moving around in the pocket to avoid the rush, and he keeps his eyes downfield, running only when there are no other options.

Smith’s footwork under center is excellent. He also utilizes solid throwing mechanics and a quick, consistent release.

A smart player, Smith rarely makes mistakes and does a good job of reading the defense. He is excellent at avoiding turnovers and taking care of the football.

Cons

Smith doesn’t have a rocket arm, though it is strong enough. At times, he could stand to put more velocity on his throws instead of lofting them.

He too frequently locks onto his primary option instead of going through his progressions. Out of the shotgun, Smith struggles with his footwork and doesn’t cross his feet when dropping back. He’s much better under center.

Smith could actually afford to take a few more chances, as he doesn’t make a ton of big plays. Part of this could be West Virginia’s offensive scheme, but he should take more shots downfield.

Legend
Legend
yep to this

E
Legend
Legend
E
Deep...probably the best QB in this draft could be good return...the only QB I would wish us to take a chance to be a starter if we think Weeden is a dud...but I don't think we think that at all.

Develop a guy??? I would prefer to possibly utilize a 3rd on Glennon.

Gino has skills...a negative I saw for us here..Browns...8 games off the lake...He does not throw a tight spiral.

In a drop back situation only way I hope we think about Geno.

But I can see dawgs liking him. I'm not going to scream n shout if he's a Brown.
JMHO

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Out of the shotgun, Smith struggles with his footwork and doesn’t cross his feet when dropping back. He’s much better under center.

So...we drafted a shotgun-QB last draft to run an "under center" Offense, and now you want us to draft QB for a shotgun Offense, that struggles out of the gun...sounds like a clever move

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Out of the shotgun, Smith struggles with his footwork and doesn’t cross his feet when dropping back. He’s much better under center.

So...we drafted a shotgun-QB last draft to run an "under center" Offense, and now you want us to draft QB for a shotgun Offense, that struggles out of the gun...sounds like a clever move

yeah I don't think Geno is in the plans for us, but he's a good QB in the right system IMO.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

I don't think Geno's footwork is such a big issue that it can't be overcome.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

wow! I like this Lalich kid.

I think EJ needs some work on accuracy but man I love his size!
Hearing Bills like Nassib so EJ, Geno and Barkley might be there
post KC's trade for Smith.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I think EJ needs some work on accuracy but man I love his size!
Hearing Bills like Nassib so EJ, Geno and Barkley might be there
post KC's trade for Smith.

I liked EJ's name and saw an interview with the guy (which made me feel like he was a leader), so I've watched him.

That guy isn't that good at all. He might understand football. But he doesn't play it that well. Every FSU game I've watched, I've come away very unimpressed.

I would not be excited about EJ Manuel. Give me Geno Smith over him every day of the week

Not worth a 2nd rounder or whatever. I'd rather trade for Ryan Mallet (which I wouldn't want to trade a 2nd rounder for) or trade for Nick Foles (if he's available)

But most of all, I'd rather stand pat and go with Brandon Weeden. EJ Manuel just has a cool name and sounds good. His play is not special at all.

I'd rather have that Oklahoma QB too. Landry Jones

Brandon Weeden looked much better than EJ Manuel in college. Much much better

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I like Landry Jones, but I am concerned that he may be the next Tony Romo.

Too many 4th quarter meltdowns.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I like Landry Jones, but I am concerned that he may be the next Tony Romo.

Too many 4th quarter meltdowns.

Tony Romo's also done some great things in the 4th quarter. He beat us in the 4th quarter and OT this year.

This Cowboys fan I was watching that game with said, "Tony Romo is his worst enemy and his greatest ally. He either loses the game for you or he wins it for you" Not totally sure what that means

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
T
Rookie
Rookie
T
i am hoping for smith to make people want the number 6 pix(ahead of 7 enough that we trade down unless, best cb is still avail...millner? , if not flat out trade down..im kinda missin that second rounder, but not really!!!!! gordon seems well worth it and now even has a year exp!... i agree with eotab,, 6th rd or later maybe five
or maybe not at all on qb
although there is a lot of good cb in free agency still, so either way get a cb then trade down if its in fa, or best cb or trade down

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

There is an elephant in the room and it is growing in size.

Haslam and company have made it clear: There will be competition.

So! No quarterback has been signed as yet.

Free agency has started. The Browns have been active and are still looking. TE (Kellan Davis, Fred Davis) and corner ( Brent Grimes) may still be added.

Kruger, Bryant, Groves all signed. If Grimes signs the draft is wide open.

They could still decide go with Jarvis Jones, Dee Milliner, Dion Jordan, or Ansuh but the free agent signings may have opened the door to Geno Smith.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=149&f=1547&t=11371104

The Browns heavyweights attended as they should.

Of course speculation between now and draft day will be all over the place. Quarterbacks always are the Buzz. Trade ups and downs will be discussed.

Funny how that goes. Last week Geno was a 15 to 20 pick. Now again he is top ten. Jags, Raiders, Eagles, Browns, Bills, Cardinals could all be in the mix.

It would not surprise me one bit if the Browns drafted Geno if he is there.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

But it would surprise me if Geno makes it #6.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

I think Smith go top 5 because of need...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Quote:

It's downright scary how a marginal 1st rounder can suddenly be viewed by some as a long-shot to make it to #6 because of need throughout the league.

I can't decide if I want the Browns to make noise about wanting him to drive a team to jump in front of us and draft him, thus allowing a player we may want to drop down the board to us, or if I want the Browns to make noise about wanting other players in the hopes a team around 10 or so decides they'll want him at 6 so we can trade down and pick up a 2nd rounder.

What I do know is that I don't want a 6'2 217 pound spread-option guy being taken at 6. Didn't we learn our lesson with the last two spread QB's...

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Legend
Legend
Quote:

It's downright scary how a marginal 1st rounder can suddenly be viewed by some as a long-shot to make it to #6 because of need throughout the league

Yeah, but you know it's true right? Someone is going to look at him and take him close to the top of the draft.

Hey, they might get lucky and have a really winner in the kid..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Jacksonville needs a Qb
Oakland needs a Qb
Philly could use a Qb

Arizona could trade up for a Qb
Buffalo has talked about trading up for a Qb

Lots of teams draft for need. Even if the quality is in question they talk themselves into it by pure desperation.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
Right now I don't care who takes who as long as either Jarvis Jones or Dee Milliner is there when we pick.

I'm good with either one of them.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Right now I don't care who takes who as long as either Jarvis Jones or Dee Milliner is there when we pick.

I'm good with either one of them.

+1

E
Legend
Legend
E
Quote:

I don't want a 6'2 217 pound spread-option guy being taken at 6.

Toad the vast majority of the NCAA is going to that offense.

Geno Smith's positive is his natural look seems to be that of a Pocket Passer who can be Mobile if need be. But if you are going to eliminate Spread option guys...who will be left? Stanford QBs only???

The up front without any Sure Fire slotting in this draft does mean there is a void that can easily be filled. Ansah moving up from the 2nd round...to first to top 10 to now top 5. Weak up front class with a void for a player who fits in the RARE positions.

QB...rarest
Left Tackle
Pass Rusher Edge Corner elite.
Cover Corner

We already see a possibility that the OTs might even go 1 n 2...Void filled
Pass Rushers noted all over this top 5 top 10 from Jordan to Ansah...again Void Filling

QB the rarest...Its always been rather simple. Them who don't have a Franchise QB cannot pass up a prospect that they deem as a Franchise QB potential. Its not if Geno Smith moving up...in this draft its easy to see this Void be filled by the top QB...Barclay could show his shoulder is strong n makes all the throws - then what? RATING...very few QBs are rated to where they end up going. I mean outside of certain guys like LUCK n RG3. But Tannehill went #7...was he a better prospect than Geno Smith??? Actually I like Geno Better than Tannehill in last years draft!

But the spread offense is taking over the NCAA you cannot eliminate QBs because of the O...Johnny Texas? Bridgewater should be over looked cause of the Spread - option systems taking over College football?

But Geno - I think one of his best attributes has been his ability to be comfortable under center n on film clearly shows he is a natural POCKET PASSER.

Us taking him at 6...Always have said. Its simple...If Chud n Norv think he "IS" The Guy in their evaluation. They will take him. Just the nature of the beast.

JMHO

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

C
Legend
Legend
C
Private workout for Geno Smith (the article is actually longer, but this is the only Geno Smith related part):

Quote:

The Cleveland Browns, who have the No. 6 overall pick in the NFL draft, will conduct a private workout with West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith, a league source said.

Also, Browns CEO Joe Banner reiterated at the NFL meetings today that quarterback is not the focus at No. 6, but he didn't rule out taking one early, late or in the middle of the draft.

He said the club will do everything possible to have the best players at every position.

Link

We should be working him out. With our draft position we need to know if he is a potential franchise QB.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
And we need to make teams think we're interested, even if we're not.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Private workout for Geno Smith (the article is actually longer, but this is the only Geno Smith related part):

Quote:

The Cleveland Browns, who have the No. 6 overall pick in the NFL draft, will conduct a private workout with West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith, a league source said.

Also, Browns CEO Joe Banner reiterated at the NFL meetings today that quarterback is not the focus at No. 6, but he didn't rule out taking one early, late or in the middle of the draft.

He said the club will do everything possible to have the best players at every position.

Link

We should be working him out. With our draft position we need to know if he is a potential franchise QB.

Well, I have to admit, I'm surprised by this. Didn't think anything would surprise me.. I was wrong,,, again. sucks to be me somedays.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Working him out is not signing drafting him. I'm for giving Weeden another year, but if for some reason Norv sees Geno as the guy, I'll take it.I absolutuely trust Turner as far as QBs go. I want a stud defender in the 1st, but, if he is better than Weeden, go for it.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Exactly, the smoke screens should be getting thicker as the weeks come...

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

Exactly, the smoke screens should be getting thicker as the weeks come...

+1

1st String
1st String
Well he could be going to possibly the Chiefs but that could be changed over now that Alex Smith is going to start. Or to the Bills! Now that Fitzpatrick is out!

May Flowers and Spring Weather!
Legend
Legend
I don't want people to feel like we want him enough that they have to jump US.

Just jump others by trading with us...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

I don't want people to feel like we want him enough that they have to jump US.

Just jump others by trading with us...

Speaking from a purely selfish perspective, I hope a team jumps us to get Smith for two specific reasons. First, I don't want another over-rated QB, as we've gone that route with ever single guy we've taken. And second, if a team jumps us for him, that means another great talent falls into our laps. Such a situation would be a good thing for us.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Early Thoughts on Gino Smith

Link Copied to Clipboard