DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Tubby_Dawg Mock Drafts....continued - 03/30/14 11:43 AM
Lets hear it. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

WR SAMMY WATKINS
CLEMSON

I feel this has to be our pick. the thought of him paired up with Gordon was too good to pass up.

CB KYLE FULLER
VIRGINIA TECH

I think Fuller offers us a very solid CB opposite Haden, and could move skrine back to covering the slot.

G XAVIER SU’A-FILO
UCLA

This kid is a stud and an instant starter on the o-line.

QB AARON MURRAY
GEORGIA

Murray I feel is the best QB in this class but due to injury he is going to slip. at this point the simulator there was a run on QBs however I felt good about snagging Murray here and he can develop/recover behind Hoyer and possibly be our qb of the future.

RB CARLOS HYDE
OHIO STATE

We all know Hyde is a stud RB, todays NFL has devalued RBs so this explains the simulator dropping him this far. Will he be here doubt it, but if he is excellent value for a two headed monster backfield.

WR MARTAVIS BRYANT
CLEMSON

Big sized, sure handed WR to give out QB another weapon. I like this kids tape.

ILB MAX BULLOUGH
MICHIGAN STATE

Developmental ILB who can learn from Dansby and potentially pass Roberson for the starting gig.

S C.J.BARNETT
OHIO STATE

Decided to try and improve our secondary, Barnett has good instincts and maybe wHitner can rub off on him.

CB CHRIS DAVIS
AUBURN

A developmental player, and depth.

QB KENNY GUITON
OHIO STATE

I enjoyed watching Guiton more than I did Miller. This kid can play when given the chance and is moble. Pretty decent arm, decent reading the field, can extend plays with his feet. and is a solid character kid who is used to the back-up role.
Posted By: Browns26 Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 03/30/14 07:25 PM
Round 1 Pick 4: Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
-QB of the future, could excel in Shanahan's offense.

Round 1 Pick 26: C.J. Mosley, ILB, Alabama
-Immediate starter. Teams up with Dansby to anchor the middle.

Round 2 Pick 3: Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG, UCLA
-Immediate starter as well. Shores up OL in strong way.

Round 3 Pick 7: Donte Moncrief, WR, Ole Miss
-A legitimate threat. 6-2 and runs a 4.4 Could be a major steal.

Round 3 Pick 19: Bishop Sankey, RB, Washington
-Good number two back behind Ben Tate. Takes what is given

Round 4 Pick 6: Louchiez Purifoy, CB, Florida
-Raw ability, starter potential. Has played special teams. Can challenge Skrine

***Traded Round 4 Pick 27 to WAS for Round 5 pick 2 and Round 5 pick 29***

Round 5 Pick 2 (WASH): J.C. Copeland, FB, LSU
-270lbs of FB lead blocking. Can do short yard running. Has a specific role after last year without a lead blocker there need is clear

Round 5 Pick 5: Devin Street, WR, Pittsburgh
-Has good hands and has size(6-3). Good depth

Round 5 Pick 29 (N.O.): Terrance Mitchell, CB, Oregon
-experienced CB who adds some depth

Round 6 Pick 4: Ahmad Dixon, SS, Baylor
-Special teams player who adds depth

Round 7 Pick 3: Colt Lyerla, TE, Oregon
-Lots of talent but has character issues. Worth a chance in the 7th.
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 03/30/14 09:53 PM
I notice a few of the mocks do not chose to pick a Center in rd 4. Why?
Posted By: Lyuokdea Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 03/30/14 10:21 PM
Quote:

Probably because they choose to pick other players in Round 4?
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 03/30/14 10:24 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Obviously so. Perhaps nobody believes we should be addrssing a position which we may be in need of after this coming season. Please don't try to sell me on Greco as an OC...
Posted By: Browns26 Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 03/30/14 10:43 PM
I think on this team there are so many potential needs that there is a lot of give and take with the draft. With having Mack here this season (most likely) I think center is a spot that can be pushed back potentially. Not ideal but not as urgent. That being said if we take a center I would be into that. There is just such a lack of play makers on this team that trying to draft a few seems like the best move.
Posted By: Demo44 Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 03/31/14 12:09 AM
Quote:

Mock Draft [Re: Dean]
#1136648 - Mon Mar 24 2014 04:07 PM
Edit post Reply to this post Reply Reply to this post Quote Quick Reply

This........

Just having fun.
Cleveland trades # 26 & # 35 to SF for # 30, # 56 & # 61
We will use our picks on draft day to move around, but for today......

#4 Sammy Watkins (WR)
#30 Derek Carr (QB)
#56 Brandon Thomas (G)
#61 Keith McGill (CB)
#71 Stanley Jean-Baptiste (CB)
#83 Chris Borland (MLB)
#102 Weston Richburg (C) *****
#123 Terrance West (RB)
#133 Colt Lyerla (TE)
#164 Max Bullough (MLB)
#195 Jay Prosch (FB)

I took a flyer on Lyerla, bit of a head case, but the kid has talent.
Thxs
Posted By: Browns26 Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 03/31/14 12:22 AM
I took your thought and ran with it a different way here. This would be more of a Defense/O-Line focus. I would be happy with this too. We just would need to add a #2 receiver from free agency.

Round 1 Pick 4: Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo
Round 1 Pick 26: Calvin Pryor, FS, Louisville
Round 2 Pick 3: Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG, UCLA
Round 3 Pick 7: Carlos Hyde, RB, Ohio State
Round 3 Pick 19: Keith McGill, CB, Utah
Round 4 Pick 6: Anthony Johnson, DT, LSU
Round 4 Pick 27: Bryan Stork, C, Florida State
Round 5 Pick 5: Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia
Round 6 Pick 4: Devin Street, WR, Pittsburgh
Round 7 Pick 3: Dri Archer, WR, Kent State
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 03/31/14 12:38 AM
I like most of your picks, and while I'm not sold on Mack at #4, if a QB is not to be the choice, I would be sorely tempted to go either Robinson or Matthews (if I believed I could kick Schwartz to RG).
Posted By: hiro Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 03/31/14 02:47 PM
Isn't it about time to do the Dawgtalk draft where each user GMs a team?
Posted By: TopDawg16 Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 03/31/14 03:22 PM
It's not happening this year.
Posted By: Lyuokdea Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 03/31/14 04:25 PM
Just a fun mock draft - where I get to see the full big board (Scouts Inc), and make moves like a genius.

Trades:
Trade #127 to Dallas (+ conditional 2015 4th round pick) for Morris Claiborne, CB - I like him more as a man CB than anybody in the draft. Has some deficiencies in zone, but we have the ability to get great pressure on the QB if we can leave Claiborne and Haden on islands.

Trade #26 (700), 2015 1st round pick (450), #83 (175) to Detroit for #10 (1300) - Gets in front of Arizona who might take a QB. This is kind of my dream scenario here.

Trade #35 (560) and #145 (34) to San Francisco for #56 (340) and #61(293) - Don't like the guys at 35, San Francisco is probably looking for one or two more major pieces, and would be likely to do the tradeup.

Trade #71 (235) to Minnesota for #96 (116), #108 (78), #184(18) - Again, don't really like anybody at 71, and since I get to see the whole board, I move down.

4 - Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson - Best receiver in the draft. Perfect weapon opposite Gordon. Also, a guy who once got into trouble and really cleaned up.

10 - Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville - Perfect QB to pair with Watkins and Gordon, who can make big yardage on short, accurate throws which allow them to catch the ball in stride. This is where Bridgewater excels. If I could make only the two above picks (and nothing else) in this draft, I would call it a success.

56 - Louchiez Purifoy, CB, Florida - Another very good man CB, in case Claiborne doesn't work out. Probably the best man coverage guy in the draft, though he again has some deficiencies in zone coverage.

61 - Brandon Thomas, OG/OT, Clemson - I like him more than most of the strict OGs (Su'a-Filo, Yankey etc.) in this draft, especially for the ZBS.

96 - Craig Loston, S, LSU - Haven't watched him too much, but he's a solid all around safety.

106 - Shayne Skov, ILB, Stanford - Need an ILB who is not a blitzer, but who will take on blockers, and can cover the TE out of the backfield.

108 - De'Anthony Thomas, RB, Oregon - Couldn't resist taking an explosive talent. Thought about Dri Archer here, but Thomas shows more explosiveness on game tape (just not in shorts running the 40). This is a little bit outside of the normal Shanahan offense - but if you have a QB who is blessed with quick reads and hitting receivers in stride on short routes, you get a weapon out of the backfield that can make those plays dangerous.

180 - Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia - One of my favorite QBs in the draft. Very similar to a poor-man's Bridgewater. Smart, makes good reads, not a ton of arm talent, but he can fill in and not lose you any football games. May still have injury concerns at the start of this year, which is why he is falling.

184 - Dakota Dozier, OG, Furman - Powerful OG with good feet to run the ZBS.

218 - Max Bullough, ILB, Michigan State - Another ILB who is a good fit for the 3-4 defense.

So basically, I doubled up on every position we really need help at. I think Watkins, Bridgewater and Brandon Thomas all start year 1. I think there will be a fight for the CB2 job between Claiborne and Purifoy, but I think Claiborne wins it. De'Anthony Thomas will be a valuable 3rd down RB from game 1. Skov also has an outside chance at starting because you can get quality ILBs late in the draft, and we are weak there.

We do lose our 2015 pick. If the draft works out like this, I don't think we will be picking too high anyway.
Posted By: Browns26 Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 03/31/14 06:50 PM
If the Browns somehow pull off Watkins or Evans with Bridgewater/Bortles/Manziel I would be so pumped. I wouldn't care as much about the rest of the draft. Those additions alone would make the offense more dangerous.
Posted By: BpG Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/01/14 04:20 PM
Thoughts on this?

Manziel and Bridgewater both off the board at our pick.

QB BLAKE BORTLES
CENTRAL FLORIDA
CB DARQUEZE DENNARD
MICHIGAN STATE
WR MARQISE LEE
USC
ILB CHRISTIAN JONES
FLORIDA STATE
C TRAVIS SWANSON
ARKANSAS
G DAKOTA DOZIER
FURMAN
RB CHARLES SIMS
WVU
QB AARON MURRAY
GEORGIA
WR MIKE DAVIS
TEXAS
OT JUSTIN BRITT
MISSOURI
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/01/14 09:00 PM
Quote:

Quote:

I just started reading mock drafts online. Odd (at least to me - lol) - quite a few of them don't have us (or anyone else, for that matter) picking Bridgewater first... Good God, I hope if he's still available we pick him up.

CBS mock draft:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/01/14 09:24 PM
I like the Jake Matthews pick.

Figuring that we've got about 4, max 5, more years with Joe Thomas, Jake gives us a guy for the right side now as well as a backup to Joe T, and a long-term replacement for Joe so that we don't miss a beat when he retires.

If Schwartz can move inside, we should have a pretty freaking stout OLine.

Joe has 8 seasons. Orlando Pace played 13 seasons, Walter Jones 13 seasons.
I expect that Joe will bow out around the same timeframe.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/01/14 09:31 PM
This one...

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014.php

....has us picking Sammy Watkins first. It wouldn't surprise me at all.
Posted By: Browns26 Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/01/14 11:35 PM
I know some guys really love a good OL. How about this draft? Would it be enjoyed or a little disappointing? I like it somewhat personally, I just figured I'd see what it looks like to load up the OL and Defense

Thomas, Su'a-Filo, Mack, Schwartz, Matthews starting with top back ups being Richburg and Greco would be pretty crazy.

Round 1 Pick 4: Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M
Round 1 Pick 26: Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG, UCLA
Round 2 Pick 3: C.J. Mosley, ILB, Alabama
Round 3 Pick 7: Weston Richburg, C, Colorado State
Round 3 Pick 19: Keith McGill, CB, Utah
Round 4 Pick 6: Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt
Round 4 Pick 27: Devonta Freeman, RB, Florida State
Round 5 Pick 5: Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia
Round 6 Pick 4: Terrance Mitchell, CB, Oregon
Round 7 Pick 3: Dri Archer, WR, Kent State
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/02/14 11:19 AM
I like the idea of that starting lineup, but we don't need to draft a Center this year. If we're going to lose Mack next year, we can grab a Center then.
I'd use the Richburg pick elsewhere - perhaps another QB, or WR...maybe on a FS if a decent prospect is there.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/02/14 02:40 PM
The only problem I have is that at some point, you need to invest in some weapons at some point. Last year we spent all of out top investments on the D. Both of our top FA signings and our 1st round draft pick were D. This year so far, both of our two top FA investments were D.

At some point the powers that be need to understand that we must put some top investments on O. And really, if you look at it, our pass protection was pretty solid. They generally were consistent at giving the QB 3 seconds. If your QB holds the ball longer than that, you can't fault the OL.

I'm big on the OL, but three of our top four picks on the OL? To me, that's a lot of overkill while dismissing other needs like QB. Yes, I know it was addressed later, but later has gotten us nowhere. Time to belly up and take a real QB.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/02/14 03:49 PM
j/c

With both Manziel & Bridgewater off the board, this would be sick:

Round 1 Pick 6 (ATL): Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida
Round 1 Pick 13 (STL): Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M
Round 2 Pick 3: Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech
Round 2 Pick 4 (OAK): C.J. Mosley, ILB, Alabama
Round 3 Pick 3 (OAK): Ed Reynolds, FS, Stanford
Round 3 Pick 7: Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas
Round 3 Pick 19: Carlos Hyde, RB, Ohio State
Round 4 Pick 7 (OAK): Cyril Richardson, OG, Baylor
Round 4 Pick 27: Jay Prosch, FB, Auburn

Traded down with Oakland then Atlanta to #6 and took Bortles, then gave away Atlanta's 2nd & 3rd round picks and the bottom of our draft to move up to get Mike Evans. We end up with weapons on the outside, a thunderous running game, players opposite Haden & Dansby plus line help and a FS. Not to mention the QB of the future. I would go nuts with a draft like this.
Posted By: Lyuokdea Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/02/14 03:56 PM
Would be sick, those are the trades that I hate on the website, because atlanta will never give up 2nd and 3rd rounders to move from 6 to 4.
Posted By: The Nuke Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/02/14 04:51 PM
I saw an article that showed Carlos Hyde drafted by the Ravens. Ugh.

Here's my mock:

WR SAMMY WATKINS
G XAVIER SU’A-FILO
RB CARLOS HYDE
QB A.J. MCCARRON
CB BASHAUD BREELAND - CLEMSON
CB KEITH MCGILL - UTAH
OLB ADRIAN HUBBARD - ALABAMA
ILB LAMIN BARROW -LSU
DE MICHAEL SAM - MISSOURI
QB KENNY GUITON - OHIO STATE

One mistake (using the fanspeak simulator) is I missed an OT. Sub the best available for one of my CBs..
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/02/14 05:57 PM
WalterFootball has us taking Watkins at 4, and Manziel dropping to 26...

No complaints from me..
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/04/14 10:49 AM
'2014 NFL mock draft: Greg Robinson to Cleveland Browns at No. 4'

Link:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2...leveland-browns

It will be interesting to see who predicts our first draft pick correctly.
Posted By: KingSteve Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/04/14 02:18 PM
If I were to run the draft...I go like this.

4: Sammy Watkins WR
26: Jace Amaro TE
35: Kelvin Benjamin WR
71: Trade up (giving up 145 (or 127) and 180) to 57 to be ahead of Indy and NO: Shayne Skov ILB
83: Louchiez Purifoy CB
106: AJ McCarron (if he's not available) Tajh Boyd QB
127/145: Max Bullough ILB
218: Chris Watt/Ryan Groy OG

The only gripe with my draft that I would have is the guard position. I would like to look at Trai Turner in the 4th if it wouldnt take 2 picks to move up to get Skov...But, I am more comfortable with Greco/Pinkston/Gilkey/McQuistan than most of us on this board...Plus Chris Faulk is returning, and coule be a successful guard, or could be a great RT and Schwartz could slide into the guard spot. I think we can survive without it.

I'm of the mentality right now that this league is offense based. And our defense has a lot of great pieces, and Skov and Purifoy and Bullough would make it even better...and our lacking offense could be DANGEROUS like that. Those 3 at the top of the draft, with Hawkins, Gordon, and Cameron...makes us REALLY REALLY difficult to cover.

Our WRs since the return have been HORRIBLE. Only Braylon, Lance Moore, Antonio Bryant, and Kellen Winslow have left Cleveland to record more than 20 catches for ANYONE else in the league. (MoMass and Brian Robiskie caught like 15 between the two of em in Jax). Let's get guys that can catch the ball AND get open. Forget Little and these bums that have done nothing for us. Lets get guys...

Amaro and Benjamin become redzone targets. Watkins is a homerun threat. Gordon is dynamite and Cameron is a very good TE that would benefit not having an entire defense trying to take him out of the passing game.

Oh man I salivate thinking about it...
Posted By: KingSteve Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/04/14 02:20 PM
Also...2 names I would also be very interested in in the 6th and 7th are Denicos Allen of Michigan State and Connor Shaw of South Carolina...
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/04/14 02:54 PM
Quote:

WalterFootball has us taking Watkins at 4, and Manziel dropping to 26...

No complaints from me..

I saw that too. I can't see how that can happen, although with quarterbacks, if they make it out of the first 10 picks, the chances of them dropping toward the second round go up, because the teams with established quarterbacks are due to pick...
Posted By: Tubby_Dawg Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/09/14 11:25 PM
WR SAMMY WATKINS
CLEMSON

ILB C.J. MOSLEY
ALABAMA

G GABE JACKSON
MISSISSIPPI STATE

RB TRE MASON
AUBURN

QB ZACH METTENBERGER
LSU

C BRYAN STORK
FLORIDA STATE

CB MARCUS ROBERSON
FLORIDA

QB AARON MURRAY
GEORGIA

S VINNIE SUNSERI
ALABAMA

CB RICARDO ALLEN
PURDUE
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/09/14 11:49 PM
Quote:

WR SAMMY WATKINS
CLEMSON

ILB C.J. MOSLEY
ALABAMA

G GABE JACKSON
MISSISSIPPI STATE

RB TRE MASON
AUBURN

QB ZACH METTENBERGER
LSU

C BRYAN STORK
FLORIDA STATE

CB MARCUS ROBERSON
FLORIDA

QB AARON MURRAY
GEORGIA

S VINNIE SUNSERI
ALABAMA

CB RICARDO ALLEN
PURDUE

I question how well Mosley translates to a 3-4 ILB, only because I've heard he may not be able to, not because I personally have looked into it...

I'd swap him for a WR or CB... Then swap Mason (even though I LOVE Mason) for whatever we don't get out of WR CB... Because I think Tate is going to be perfectly fine as a #1 RB... But I'd still grab a RB later...

I love getting Murray later.. Either him or McCarron as a guy that can sit and learn... Overall a great draft though...
Posted By: Tubby_Dawg Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/09/14 11:55 PM
thanks....im big on Mason coming to Cleveland. I think him and Tate would be a deadly 1-2 punch.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/10/14 12:44 AM
Oh I agree. And you won't see me complaining if it happens.

But I feel like we can get another starter there as opposed to a "#2" RB...
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/10/14 12:56 AM
More signs pointing the Lions are really into Watkins and are wanting to trade up to acquire him...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...-sammy-watkins/

Quote:

If the Lions have genuine interest in trading up for Clemson receiver Sammy Watkins, they’re doing a bad job of hiding it. If they’re not interested, they’ve put together a potent smokescreen.

Regardless, the chatter is growing that the Lions could make a move for a wideout who would instantly give Detroit arguably the top one-two-three punch at the position: Watkins, Calvin Johnson, and Golden Tate.

Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press writes that there’s a “growing sense” in league circles that the Lions are willing to make the move. But they may have to move all the way up to No. 2 to get Watkins, and unless they’d be equally happy to take defensive end Jadeveon Clowney, they’ll need to wait until the Rams are on the clock in order to avoid being leapfrogged for Watkins.

If Watkins goes No. 1, he’d be only the third wideout taken first overall since 1984, when the Pats took Irving Fryar. Twelve years later, the Jets selected Keyshawn Johnson with the first overall selection.

Calvin Johnson, in hindsight, should have been the No. 1 pick seven years ago. Detroit’s interest in Watkins, if real, suggests that the Lions see the day coming when Johnson’s cap number exceeds his lingering abilities. Until then, the Lions could have the best trio of wideouts the NFL since the days of Randy Moss, Cris Carter, and Jake Reed.

Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/10/14 12:59 AM
Eh. I doubt we'd drop back that far (10) unless we got a future #1 in return...plus more...
Posted By: Jester Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/10/14 01:26 AM
When did they rehire Matt Millen as their GM?
Posted By: Tubby_Dawg Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/11/14 05:25 AM
I got bored so I did another mock......bring on the real draft already. Don't like this pushed back waiting crap
WR SAMMY WATKINS
CLEMSON

OT ZACK MARTIN
NOTRE DAME

G DAVID YANKEY
STANFORD

CB JAYLEN WATKINS
FLORIDA

RB TRE MASON
AUBURN

CB LOUCHEIZ PURIFOY
FLORIDA

ILB LAMIN BARROW
LSU

QB AARON MURRAY
GEORGIA

TE JOE DON DUNCAN
DIXIE STATE

C JAMES STONE
TENNESSEE
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/11/14 08:25 AM
I just did a couple on Fanspeak, the first two I'd get to the 4th round and start over, because 1. I don't know much about anyone passed the 4th round... and 2. I kept changing my mind...

My first one I had Watkins at 4, but the more I thought about the Burleson signing, the more a need for a #2 WR dropped for me...

The 2nd one I took Mack #4... Hoping a QB would fall to me, the only one that did was Carr (Blech)

So finally I nutted up and took Teddy at 4.. Because he's the guy I believe most in...

Ended up getting Mosley at 26, and Fuller in the 2nd.. Which IMO completes our defense... If I had a choice I'd probably take Fuller at 26 and grab a Guard in the 2nd, assuming ones there...

I grabbed Allen Robinson with our first 3rd, because Nate isn't that young afterall.. And then OL Martin from USC in case Alex Mack wants to leave in a few years...

I started the 4th with Seastrunk, adding him to my backfield of Tate and Lewis, which I like A LOT... And finished with Aaron Murray, who will be my 3rd QB behind Teddy and Hoyer...

Overall this draft is annoying the crap out of me... Theres a lot of different ways it could go. And really I won't be upset if it goes most of them (except for Carr at 4, I'll die.)

Worst year to move the draft back.. ever.
Posted By: Tubby_Dawg Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/11/14 03:27 PM
I agree I don't want Carr at 4, now at 26 maybe. I still think the best QB of this draft is Aaron Murray. we could get him in the 2nd....maybe 3rd. I think after his pro day his stock is going to skyrocket.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/11/14 03:47 PM
I like Murray a lot. But I don't think we can peg our future on a 3rd round QB again...

I guess it'd depend on how confident they are in Hoyer.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/11/14 04:13 PM
Quote:

I like Murray a lot. But I don't think we can peg our future on a 3rd round QB again...

I guess it'd depend on how confident they are in Hoyer.

So, we can possibly peg our future on an UDFA QB but not a 3rd round QB?

Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/11/14 04:15 PM
He's been in the league what, 5 years now? Who cares where Hoyer was drafted..

My point was, the FO has to feel confident in Hoyer for at least a year or two if they are going to bypass QB till the 3rd round... Unless they think a guy like Murray can start right away, which I don't...
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/11/14 04:27 PM
Quote:

He's been in the league what, 5 years now? Who cares where Hoyer was drafted..

My point was, the FO has to feel confident in Hoyer for at least a year or two if they are going to bypass QB till the 3rd round... Unless they think a guy like Murray can start right away, which I don't...

Why couldn't Murray start right away?
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/11/14 04:29 PM
Knee surgery might be a reason to hold him back a bit.

And usually QBs pick in rounds 3 and later are not expected to start right away. There are some exceptions obviously.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/12/14 12:48 AM
Quote:

Knee surgery might be a reason to hold him back a bit.

And usually QBs pick in rounds 3 and later are not expected to start right away. There are some exceptions obviously.

He's expected to be ready to play. The knee isn't expected to be a problem to start the season, or even the pre-season. If I recall, he is on schedule to be in camp for any team that drafts him.
Posted By: Tubby_Dawg Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/12/14 03:34 AM
I seriously think Aaron Murray is the best QB in this draft.
Posted By: Thebigbaddawg Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/12/14 04:02 AM
Went back to watch some more Aaron Murray since a lot of people were pimping him big time here.

Wow, he's a lot better than I remember. One hell of a QB, IMO. I still like Bortles better, but I think he's a better QB than the others. Really impressed.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/12/14 04:15 AM
Quote:

How early would you take him?
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/12/14 04:28 AM
All of these QBs have questions. They also have a hell of alot of talent.

Murray has durability and consistency as his big concerns. I dont think I can evr remember a game from the kid where I felt he was good for 4 quarters.

Bortles its the accuracy with me. Everyone has their own #1 trait they prefer and mine is accuracy.

Carr has the footwork and deep ball consistency issues.

Bridgewater lacks ideal size and has some mechanical issues which is effecting his accuracy and arm strength.

Manziel has the off the field stuf, size, durability concern.

Garoppolo has arm strength and footwork questions.

Metlenberger is slow footed and stiff legged.

McCaron weak arm and questions of leadership starting to emerge.

all of these guys imho are capable of becoming terrific qbs. Being in the right scheme is everything to this group.

With shannahan you need someone that can use the playaction and playaction fake, run the naked bootleg and also must have a pretty good arm.
Posted By: Tubby_Dawg Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/12/14 04:32 AM
Depending on how the first round goes I'd be comfortable with our top third round pick
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/12/14 04:35 AM
Quote:

Depending on how the first round goes I'd be comfortable with our top third round pick

That's the thing, If there is a HUGE run on these QBs in the 1st... Some team is going to get caught up in it and you might have the next Christian Ponder.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/12/14 08:07 PM
Quote:

I wouldn't agree with that but he's better than most of those that are considered better QBs by most analysts.

If he is there in the 4th round, I wouldn't mind the Browns drafting him. Maybe even in the 3rd.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/12/14 08:09 PM
Quote:

With Shanahan you need someone that can use the playaction and playaction fake, run the naked bootleg and also must have a pretty good arm.

So, who would you say fits that model among this group?
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/13/14 01:48 AM
I think Manziel would be really good in this scheme but can he see enough inside the pocket to work the quick game? I dont know. I always saw him trying to buy time but I didnt often see him make the quick play.

I think Carr can be effective in the scheme but I really want to see vastly improved footwork from him.

If metlenberger didnt move like donald duck, he would be top on the browns board but man its funny watching him waddle lol

Murray I thought would be a good fit but we havent seen him move and throw since the injury.

I like Mccaron for the Cards in the 2nd but not for the Browns. no real fit at all for us.

Bridgewater at the end of the season, thought he would be a perfect fit but I havent seen one reason since the end of the season, to consider him. I think he has lost arm strength and both upper and lower body mechanics are all over the place. Hell even watching the one or two throws with Mooch and Warner were worrisome. Throwing his entire body into the throw just for a simple 15 yarder, instead of just planting that back foot and flowing from it.

Garropollo is one to watch. Another with lower body issues but has some serious potential in this scheme. If he can get his lower body to catch up to his upper body, he could be the Aaron Rogers of this class.

Frankly this entire class just has poor footwork and it will be somethign that must be resolved before they take a snap in an actual game.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/13/14 02:10 AM
Quote:

I think Manziel would be really good in this scheme but can he see enough inside the pocket to work the quick game? I dont know. I always saw him trying to buy time but I didnt often see him make the quick play.

I think Carr can be effective in the scheme but I really want to see vastly improved footwork from him.

If metlenberger didnt move like donald duck, he would be top on the browns board but man its funny watching him waddle lol

Murray I thought would be a good fit but we havent seen him move and throw since the injury.

I like Mccaron for the Cards in the 2nd but not for the Browns. no real fit at all for us.

Bridgewater at the end of the season, thought he would be a perfect fit but I havent seen one reason since the end of the season, to consider him. I think he has lost arm strength and both upper and lower body mechanics are all over the place. Hell even watching the one or two throws with Mooch and Warner were worrisome. Throwing his entire body into the throw just for a simple 15 yarder, instead of just planting that back foot and flowing from it.

Garropollo is one to watch. Another with lower body issues but has some serious potential in this scheme. If he can get his lower body to catch up to his upper body, he could be the Aaron Rogers of this class.

Frankly this entire class just has poor footwork and it will be somethign that must be resolved before they take a snap in an actual game.

Some interesting thoughts in there. I also like a few other QBs that aren't getting any hype. David Fales will be another good QB and I think that Brett Smith from Wyoming could do some nice things. Another late rounder to look at is Dustin Vaughan.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/13/14 12:53 PM
A lot of folks here havent given Mettenburger much thought but I believe he could be the best QB
in this draft!
Great arm an can make all the throughs,along with good touch on short an intermediate routes!
Does a good good hiding the ball on play action like Boomer Esiason!
Has improved his game the last two years an will stand in the pocket an take the hit!
Doesnt have the best mobility but he does have presence in the pocket an can move around enough to by an extra second or two to get the ball out! Reminds me of big Ben..
I wouldnt be surprised if we did draft him to sit behind Hoyer for a year an learn the system along with getting his knee fully healed..
Oh an one more thing when your playing in our stadium you better have a strong arm cause with that wind coming off the lake at any given time I dont want a weak armed QB at the helm!
Go Browns!
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/13/14 01:21 PM
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/13/14 02:16 PM
Quote:

[/quote
Was that rubbing or picking?
oh an as long as he throws TD's I could care Less! jmho
Posted By: Dave Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/13/14 02:19 PM

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/13/14 02:24 PM
Quote:

[/quote

Was that rubbing or picking?
oh an as long as he throws TD's I could care Less! jmho
Posted By: Millcreek Dawg Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/13/14 02:25 PM
Mettenberger moves like Bernie.
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/13/14 02:33 PM
Quote:

A lot of folks here havent given Mettenburger much thought but I believe he could be the best QB
in this draft!
Great arm an can make all the throughs,along with good touch on short an intermediate routes!
Has improved his game the last two years an will stand in the pocket an take the hit!
Doesnt have the best mobility but he does have presence in the pocket an can move around enough to by an extra second or two to get the ball out! Reminds me of big Ben..
I wouldnt be surprised if we did draft him to sit behind Hoyer for a year an learn the system along with getting his knee fully healed..
Oh an one more thing when your playing in our stadium you better have a strong arm cause with that wind coming off the lake at any given time I dont want a weak armed QB at the helm!
Go Browns!

I would take Blake Bortles if he is available at 4. If not I would trade down once or twice. Get as much talent out of the 1st 3 rounds as possible.

And, I agree with you Zach Mettenburger is as good a QB as any in this draft. Has protypical size 6'5 230lbs, has a strong arm, ran a pro style offense in college with a former pro offensive coordinator, stands in the pocket takes a hit and delivers the ball.

He has a real shot to be a geat pro.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/13/14 05:32 PM
Quote:

in this draft!

I like him too. If I'm the Browns I would certainly take him at #3 in the 2nd round if he is there. I'm curious to see what the Texans do at #1. If they take Bortles, it's quite possible that Mettenberger is there. If they don't, Mettenberger will be gone, I think, at #33.

Quote:

I agree. He doesn't have a cannon for an arm, but a rifle. More accuracy than a cannon but he can lay it in there nicely without the receivers needing a catcher's mitt to hold onto the ball on the short routes.

Quote:

And it didn't hurt to have Cameron as his OC at LSU either. He's probably the most ready for the game in the NFL. He could very well be the starting QB from Day #1 of the season for whatever team drafts him. No doubt that there will be other starting QBs out of this draft, because of where they are taken but I'm not sure that any will be better than Mettenberger. I do like Bortles too.

If Bortles isn't taken at #1, he'll go #3 to Jacksonville. If Bortles is gone at #1, I'm not sure who Jacksonville takes. My guess, they try and move back or if they're stuck at #3, they could take literally anyone left on the board, whether it's Clowney, Mack, one of the OTs or someone like Manziel or even Mettenberger (despite the injury concern). Jacksonville moves from selecting #3 in the first round to #7 in the second round. The pickings for QBs could very well be slim by then. That's why I think they go QB at #3.

Quote:

Doesnt have the best mobility but he does have presence in the pocket an can move around enough to by an extra second or two to get the ball out! Reminds me of big Ben.

I think he's better than him. He has a better arm than Roethlisberger and he's more mobile than many give him credit.

Quote:

I wouldnt be surprised if we did draft him to sit behind Hoyer for a year an learn the system along with getting his knee fully healed.

I wouldn't mind that, but I think he'd give Hoyer every bit of competition for the starting job THIS year. Now, that being said, where do you take him? You probably don't have to use the #4 overall selection on him, but you might have to use the #26 selection to ensure that you get him if he's there. If you don't, he might not make it to #35. I'm not certain that he makes it passed Arizona at #20. Carson Palmer is 34 becomes a FA after next season. Arizona will draft a QB, book it. How soon is the question and at #20, they go low risk on taking Mettenberger if he's there.

Quote:

Go Browns!

Indeed. That's why I also like Dustin Vaughan from WT.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/13/14 05:33 PM
Quote:

But with a stronger arm and a better throwing motion.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/13/14 05:36 PM
Quote:

Quote:

in this draft!
Go Browns!

I would take Blake Bortles if he is available at 4. If not I would trade down once or twice. Get as much talent out of the 1st 3 rounds as possible.

And, I agree with you Zach Mettenburger is as good a QB as any in this draft. Has protypical size 6'5 230lbs, has a strong arm, ran a pro style offense in college with a former pro offensive coordinator, stands in the pocket takes a hit and delivers the ball.

He has a real shot to be a geat pro.

Again, as I stated, I agree. He could be the guy that Farmer was talking about when he said that they were eyeing a QB that not many people were mentioning.

I could see them taking Mettenberger at #26 if he's available.
Posted By: Millcreek Dawg Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/13/14 05:40 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Amen, a few ballet lessons like Bernie took and he's all set.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/13/14 05:55 PM
Im taking him with our 1st pick, then bpa at cb!
I also like Landry with our 2nd rd pick!
The guy can flat out catch the ball
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/13/14 06:32 PM
Quote:

I like Landry too and a nice corner would be good to have as well. Somehow, I don't think that the Browns keep Haden around after next season. He's going to want Revis money (which I think is insane for Revis too!)

Teams sometimes have to take calculated gambles in the draft. I want the Browns to address the defense mostly. Get us a hard-nosed defense that won't give up many yards or points and make some additions on the OL with maybe another receiver or RB, but that's it. We do have 10 selections, so we can add some players in there to fill specific roles or to be placed on the practice squad.
Posted By: Thebigbaddawg Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/13/14 06:39 PM
Quote:

Quote:

And 1/25th the brain.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/13/14 06:41 PM
Mettenberg.. with the #4 pick?

That's worse than Carr...

And I don't even not want Mettenberg as much as I don't want Carr...

I wouldn't touch either of them till our 2nd round pick, Carr will for some reason be gone by then, But I'd be fine with Mett at 35... Especially if we grab Mack at 4 and either a WR or Fuller/CB at 26...

So. Many. Options.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/13/14 06:54 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And 1/25th the brain.

He's still 200 times smarter than you.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/13/14 08:18 PM
Quote:

I hope we look at positions we need help at, that are not as deep in this draft first.

I hope that we address QB and maybe 2 CB in the 1st 3 rounds .... along with ILB. Given that WR is such a deep position, from what I am hearing, we can find a talent into the 3rd -4th round.

I also want to find a reserve RB, and a backup OL. We can then use rounds 5, 6, and 7 purely for the best available players.

I also think that we will see several veteran receivers become available after the draft, and in roster cuts.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/13/14 11:47 PM
Do you honestly think Mettenburg gets out of the 1st round,an knowing teams like Oakland, Minnesota,Arizona,Tampabay,Cincinnati,an even New England could draft him?
I believe he's the best of the bunch an I wouldn't bet on him making it out of the 1st round!
Just saying..
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/14/14 12:13 AM
I think we still need that #2 WR an a guy like Landry would be a perfect fit for us!
He has large hands an is a tough physical reciever that will get you yards after the catch!
He's another guy that i'm hoping will be there when we pick at 35..
I also like Chris Borland if we can get him with our 3a an Storm Johnson at 3b..
Go with Dakota Dozier at 4a if he's there an I like Daquan Jones 4b...
That would be my dream mock!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/14/14 12:27 AM
I don't know why, but I think our FO is going to choose between Mack and Robinson/Matthews at #4. And then look to get a QB at 26 when the value is there.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/14/14 02:01 AM
After a few trades for 2nd rounders and then trades back up into the 1st, I'd take this for our first 4 rounds:

Round 1 Pick 8 (MINN): Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M (A)
Round 1 Pick 12 (NYG): Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo (A)
Round 1 Pick 26: Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M (A)
Round 2 Pick 4 (OAK): Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG, UCLA (A)
Round 2 Pick 6 (T.B.): C.J. Mosley, ILB, Alabama (A)
Round 3 Pick 19: Tre Mason, RB, Auburn (A)
Round 4 Pick 6: Weston Richburg, C, Colorado State (A)
Round 4 Pick 27: Jaylen Watkins, CB, Florida (A)
Posted By: Tubby_Dawg Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/14/14 02:20 AM
WR SAMMY WATKINS
CLEMSON

ILB C.J. MOSLEY
ALABAMA

G DAVID YANKEY
STANFORD

QB ZACH METTENBERGER
LSU

RB TRE MASON
AUBURN

WR MARTAVIUS BRYANT
CLEMSON

CB EJ GAINES
MISSOURI

G ANTHONY STEEN
ALABAMA

ILB MAX BULLOUGH
MICHIGAN STATE

TE JOE DON DUNCAN
DIXIE

i dont like to do trades in my mocks cause its unpredictable so here is my latest mock using fanspeak mock simulator and Optimum Scoutings big board....enjoy
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/14/14 02:21 AM
TWO Clemson WRs?
Posted By: Tubby_Dawg Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/14/14 02:58 AM
i like both of those kids......Watkins is well documented....Bryant has some raw talent, and decent hands. as well as good size. developmental wr and could learn from a former teamate.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/14/14 11:14 AM
Quote:

Do you honestly think Mettenburg gets out of the 1st round,an knowing teams like Oakland, Minnesota,Arizona,Tampabay,Cincinnati,an even New England could draft him?
I believe he's the best of the bunch an I wouldn't bet on him making it out of the 1st round!
Just saying..

I would certainly take him at #26 if he's there. I don't know if he's going to be there. You might have to take him at #4 if you want to make sure you get him.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/14/14 11:19 AM
Quote:

After a few trades for 2nd rounders and then trades back up into the 1st, I'd take this for our first 4 rounds:

Round 1 Pick 8 (MINN): Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M (A)
Round 1 Pick 12 (NYG): Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo (A)
Round 1 Pick 26: Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M (A)
Round 2 Pick 4 (OAK): Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG, UCLA (A)
Round 2 Pick 6 (T.B.): C.J. Mosley, ILB, Alabama (A)
Round 3 Pick 19: Tre Mason, RB, Auburn (A)
Round 4 Pick 6: Weston Richburg, C, Colorado State (A)
Round 4 Pick 27: Jaylen Watkins, CB, Florida (A)

Manziel is a reach at #8 although he might go even before this point.

Mack won't be available at #12.

Evans won't be available at #26.

Su'a-Filo won't be there in the 2nd.

Mosley won't be there in the 2nd.

Mason might be there in the 3rd, but we don't need a RB that high.

Richburg won't be there in the 4th.
Posted By: Millcreek Dawg Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/14/14 05:54 PM
4. TRADE Minnesota Vikings - Khalil Mack, DE, Buffalo

Minnesota trades picks 8, 72, 96, 108 and a second-round pick in 2015 to the Browns for the fourth overall pick

8. TRADE Cleveland Browns - Blake Bortles, QB, UCF

Minnesota trades picks 8, 72, 96, 108 to the Browns for the fourth overall pick

After trading down, the Browns still manage to land the quarterback of their choice. Who exactly the quarterback of their choice will be is anyone's guess since they didn't attend any pro days. The safe bet is on Blake Bortles, who is considered by most to have the highest upside of any quarterback in this class. While we prefer Teddy Bridgewater, the NFL seems to prefer Bortles.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2...n=articlebottom
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/14/14 06:57 PM
Geez,, I read that and thought it was something that had just happened.. Damn, can you warn us next time LOL
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/14/14 06:59 PM
I read that mock, they had us taking the OG out of Notre Dame at #26... but it was only a first round mock so it didn't say anything beyond that.. but if we could pull that off, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
Posted By: Millcreek Dawg Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/14/14 07:39 PM
Sorry, I was excited about all those extra picks, especially the 2015 2nd round.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/14/14 08:59 PM
Quote:

Sorry, I was excited about all those extra picks, especially the 2015 2nd round.

Damn man,, you need something to calm you down LOL

I got kinda excited also.. In one sense, look at all those picks,, yikes.. On the other hand, who are we passing on at 4?

Anyway,, it's no biggie...
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/14/14 10:29 PM
Quote:

4. TRADE Minnesota Vikings - Khalil Mack, DE, Buffalo

Minnesota trades picks 8, 72, 96, 108 and a second-round pick in 2015 to the Browns for the fourth overall pick

8. TRADE Cleveland Browns - Blake Bortles, QB, UCF

Minnesota trades picks 8, 72, 96, 108 to the Browns for the fourth overall pick

After trading down, the Browns still manage to land the quarterback of their choice. Who exactly the quarterback of their choice will be is anyone's guess since they didn't attend any pro days. The safe bet is on Blake Bortles, who is considered by most to have the highest upside of any quarterback in this class. While we prefer Teddy Bridgewater, the NFL seems to prefer Bortles.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2...n=articlebottom

Interesting. Cleveland moves back 4 spots and gets a two 3rds and a 4th this year, plus a 2nd next year (so, equivalent to 3 thirds and a 4th) to slide back?

Hmm, I like Mack a lot but let me ponder this. That's a 5:1 swap with 3 of them being 3rd round this year equivalents? That's tempting. Very tempting and I like Mack very much. It would take me some time, maybe the full time, to make that decision.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/14/14 10:32 PM
IMO, if Minnesota does that deal, the Minnesota GM should be fired.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/14/14 11:03 PM
Quote:

IMO, if Minnesota does that deal, the Minnesota GM should be fired.

That would be a Zygi Wilf move, nobody else. How easy is it to fire an owner?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/15/14 01:20 AM
The latest mock draft from Daniel Jeremiah/NFL.com:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/mock-drafts/daniel-jeremiah/200850

It has us picking Sammy Watkins as our first pick. Wouldn't surprise me.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/15/14 04:07 AM
If they trade up to 4, It's for a QB.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/15/14 04:09 AM
Quote:

The latest mock draft from Daniel Jeremiah/NFL.com:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/mock-drafts/daniel-jeremiah/200850

It has us picking Sammy Watkins as our first pick. Wouldn't surprise me.

1. Mocks that are only the 1st round are boring.

2. Getting both Watkins AND Bridgewater? Uh yeah sure, I'll take that... I'm actually not that big on taking Watkins, I'd rather Mack or a small trade down...
Posted By: eotab Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/15/14 12:46 PM
In one sense, look at all those picks

Of course you did open a thread with the word "MOCK" in it.

Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/15/14 03:22 PM
Mary Kay has the inside scoop as usual

Browns | Interest in two players for draft

Sun, 13 Apr 2014 22:57:59 -0700

The two players that most interest the Cleveland Browns at the fourth pick are Clemson WR Sammy Watkins and Auburn OT Greg Robinson, and the team could trade down if neither is available.

Source: The Cleveland Plain Dealer - Mary Kay Cabot
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/15/14 03:32 PM
Actually, that's poor reading comprehension from kffl. Here's what MKC actually wrote (without saying anything).

Quote:

Hey Mary Kay: Do you think the Browns will consider trading down out of the No. 4 pick?

-- Matt W., Cincinnati, Ohio

Hey Matt: I do think the Browns will consider trading down if one of the two or three players they really love isn't there and they can still get a coveted player later in the round. Aside from one of the quarterbacks, I think two players they'd strongly consider at No. 4 are receiver Sammy Watkins and offensive tackle Greg Robinson. But if they can pick up another high pick and add another difference maker, I'm sure they'd give it some thought. This team has a lot of needs, including quarterback, receiver, cornerback, inside linebacker and guard.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ss..._medium=twitter
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/15/14 09:46 PM
You could write an article saying YOU think the Browns would be interested in drafting Joe Schmoe at #4 and someone will pick it up and run with it as inside info on who the Browns will take...

It's getting ridiculous.
Posted By: Tubby_Dawg Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/16/14 01:49 AM
http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/draft.php?d=btgtsq

did another mock using fanspeak generator, with optimum scoutings big board. this would be a heck of a draft. but no way do i expect these players to drop the way the simulator did. enjoy

WR SAMMY WATKINS
CLEMSON

QB BLAKE BORTLES
UCF

G XAVIER SU'A-FILO
UCLA

CB STANLEY JEAN-BAPTISTE
NEBRASKA

RB CARLOS HYDE
OHIO STATE

TE AC LEONARD
TENNESSEE STATE

C GABE IKARD
OKLAHOMA

ILB PRESTON BROWN
LOUISVILLE

ILB MAX BULLOUGH
MICHIGAN STATE

QB AARON MURRAY
GEORGIA
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/16/14 03:58 AM
4 QB TEDDY BRIDGEWATER LOUISVILLE

26 CB KYLE FULLER VIRGINIA TECH

35 G DAVID YANKEY STANFORD

71 RB TRE MASON AUBURN

83 ILB YARWIN SMALLWOOD UCONN

106 WR DONTE MONCRIEF OLE MISS

127 S HAKEEM SMITH LOUISVILLE

145 TE XAVIER GRIMBLE USC

180 QB AARON MURRAY GEORGIA

218 C MARCUS MARTIN USC

I. Would. Love. This. Draft.
Posted By: Tubby_Dawg Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/16/14 07:46 AM
Quote:

35 G DAVID YANKEY STANFORD

71 RB TRE MASON AUBURN

83 ILB YARWIN SMALLWOOD UCONN

106 WR DONTE MONCRIEF OLE MISS

127 S HAKEEM SMITH LOUISVILLE

145 TE XAVIER GRIMBLE USC

180 QB AARON MURRAY GEORGIA

218 C MARCUS MARTIN USC

I. Would. Love. This. Draft.

you and me both.....very solid draft. however im torn between Manziel and Bridgewater.
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/16/14 06:10 PM
JC

Used Fanspeak for the first time in forever. It's a lot better than it used to be.

As for the draft, pretty much lucked out. Took Borland very early, but with the lack of being able to trade back I had to. I'd probably do the same thing again. Maybe grab an 3-4 DE or a NT in the 3rd or 4th. Daniel McCullers and Will Clarke would have done, but when I saw Jimmy drop so far, I just had to take him as he's my 2nd favorite QB. I was thinking about taking a flyer on Tardiff in the 4th to sure up our O-Line, but Jimmy happened.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/16/14 06:21 PM
Bridgewater AND Garoppolo? throw in Hoyer and you just want to make sure we have a QB controversy for the next 5 years don't you?

Seriously the biggest problem I have with this draft is that it totally ignored the OL
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/16/14 06:31 PM
Just testing a theory... If none of those QB's work out it'll be true that God really does hate Cleveland.

Why do you feel like it completely ignores the o-line? I drafted Greg Robinson as he has the ability to play either tackle or guard if Schwartz can't convert to guard.
Posted By: IrishDawg42 Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/16/14 06:33 PM
Quote:

Bridgewater AND Garoppolo? throw in Hoyer and you just want to make sure we have a QB controversy for the next 5 years don't you?

Seriously the biggest problem I have with this draft is that it totally ignored the OL

Hmm, taking right tackle Greg Robinson at #4 overall is not high enough for you?
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/16/14 07:56 PM
Oops. skipped right over that. My bad.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/17/14 04:11 AM
How's this..?

4 QB BLAKE BORTLES UCF

26 QB TEDDY BRIDGEWATER LOUISVILLE

35 QB DEREK CARR FRESNO STATE

71 QB JIMMY GAROPPOLO EASTERN ILLINOIS

83 QB A.J. MCCARRON ALABAMA

106 QB DAVID FALES SAN JOSE STATE

127 QB AARON MURRAY GEORGIA

145 QB TAJH BOYD CLEMSON

180 QB TOM SAVAGE PITTSBURGH

218 QB JEFF MATTHEWS CORNELL

Posted By: Tubby_Dawg Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/17/14 05:17 AM
More Ive been studying his game the more impressed with him I become. thats why with the 4th overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft the Cleveland Browns select.....QB Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M

QB JOHNNY MANZIEL
TEXAS A&M

ILB C.J. MOSLEY
ALABAMA

G DAVID YANKEY
STANFORD

RB TRE MASON
AUBURN

G CYRIL RICHARDSON
BAYLOR

WR MARTAVIUS BRYANT
CLEMSON

CB LOUCHEIZ PURIFOY
FLORIDA

CB EJ GAINES
MISSOURI

QB AARON MURRAY
GEORGIA

WR JEREMY GALLON
MICHIGAN
Posted By: Lyuokdea Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/17/14 04:05 PM
Might be my favorite mock draft that I've done on here - thought the Raiders were trading up to get Clowney, then they took Watkins, and I thought "I'll take the best player in the draft at 5" -- not an OT like I want (and i'm not huge fans of Mosley and Roby, but when they drop to the 2nd, I like them).

Round 1 Pick 5 (OAK): Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina (A)
Round 1 Pick 17 (BALT): Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M (A)
Round 2 Pick 3: C.J. Mosley, ILB, Alabama (A)
Round 2 Pick 19 (CHI): Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State (A)
Round 3 Pick 10 (NYG): Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Eastern Illinois (A)
Round 4 Pick 6: Cyril Richardson, OG, Baylor (B)
Round 4 Pick 17 (CHI): Charles Sims, RB, West Virginia (A)
Round 5 Pick 5: Brandon Coleman, WR, Rutgers (B-)
Round 6 Pick 6 (ATL): Michael Sam, DE, Missouri (C-)
Round 7 Pick 3: Dri Archer, WR, Kent State (A)
Round 7 Pick 5 (ATL): Jonathan Newsome, OLB, Ball State (B)
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/19/14 12:25 PM
Yeah.. If our first four rounds went like this, I'd be ecstatic.. Not too mention the chance of trading down from 4, picking up more 2-3rd rounders and still getting Teddy. But to be sure (and because I couldn't trade) I took him at 4..

35 WR ODELL BECKHAM JR. LSU
71 RB TRE MASON AUBURN
83 C TRAVIS SWANSON ARKANSAS
106 ILB MAX BULLOUGH MICHIGAN STATE
127 QB AARON MURRAY GEORGIA
145 TE ARTHUR LYNCH GEORGIA
180 S TY ZIMMERMAN KANSAS STATE
218 OT SEANTREL HENDERSON MIAMI
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/19/14 02:51 PM
WOW All QB's
Here's one I did on fanspeak!
1a Manziel qb Texas A&M
1b Mettenburger qb LSU
2 Mathews wr Vanderbilt
3a Landry wr LSU
3b Martin de North Carolina
4a Carey rb Arizona
4b Halapio G Florida
5 Fortt ilb California
6 Shembo olb Notre Dame
7 Edwards g Tennessee State
" GO browns "
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/19/14 03:26 PM
Here's one I just did, trying to take into account what I think that Browns will do, (I bought the hype at 4 regarding Carr, even with all other QBs still on the board) combined with what I see as our most desperate needs.

I took a pair of CB, because I think that this is a dire need. We will have both Haden and Skrine hitting free agency next year, and we need help at depth this year. Who knows if McFadden will become anything or not. A defensive coach usually wants solid CB play, as it allows him to get much more creative with his pass rush packages. We get 2 starter quality CB right off the bat, and upgrade the secondary immediately. (and immensely)

I do see us taking a WR high in this draft, and Robinson was the highest rated WR when I drafted him. He is another bigger WR, but lacks elite speed. He is supposed to be a good tactician though. He is supposed to understand how to play in zones, which will benefit him in a WCO type offense.

I wound up with a couple of OL late. I didn't plan on that, but, oh well. lol

I took Bullough in the 7th, because even though he doesn't have any elite abilities, he's a football player. I am not relying upon him 100%, with drafting Skov earlier, but if Bullough translates to the NFL, then he could be a steal. If not, then little risked.

Other than the QB, and I am not sure how the front office looks at the position, I could see this draft going something along these lines. (even though I'm sure that I drafted a few guys drafted after they will actually go)

QB DEREK CARR
FRESNO STATE

CB JASON VERRETT
TCU

CB KYLE FULLER
VIRGINIA TECH

WR ALLEN ROBINSON
PENN STATE

RB BISHOP SANKEY
WASHINGTON

ILB SHAYNE SKOV
STANFORD

S KENNY LADLER
VANDERBILT

G JON HALAPIO
FLORIDA

C BRYAN STORK
FLORIDA STATE

ILB MAX BULLOUGH
MICHIGAN STATE
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/19/14 06:57 PM
Here's a few different ideas.

4: QB Bridgewater
26: CB Fuller
35: WR Beckham Jr.
71: G Yankey
83: LB Bullough
106: RB Carey
127: QB Murray

4: LB Mack
26: CB Fuller
35: QB Garopolo
71: WR Robinson
83: G Turner
106: RB Carey
127: CB Desir

4: WR Watkins
26: QB Carr
35: LB Skov
71: RB Mason
83: CB McGill
106: WR Davis
127: G Thomas

So many options.
Posted By: Browns26 Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/24/14 01:01 PM
Bortles and Manziel were gone at 4 so I decided to do a defensive focused draft.

Round 1 Pick 5 (OAK): Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo
Round 1 Pick 26: Calvin Pryor, FS, Louisville
Round 3 Pick 7: Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Eastern Illinois
Round 3 Pick 19: Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State
Round 4 Pick 7 (OAK): David Yankey, OG, Stanford
Round 4 Pick 27: Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor
Round 5 Pick 5: Devin Street, WR, Pittsburgh
Round 6 Pick 4: Isaiah Lewis, SS, Michigan State
Round 7 Pick 3: Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/27/14 03:34 PM
I THINK this is the latest mock draft from CBS Sports:

They have us taking Manziel over Bridgewater. I'd like that the other way around.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/27/14 06:02 PM
Quote:

They have us taking Manziel over Bridgewater. I'd like that the other way around.

most of the people that are guru's don't see Bridgewater as a first round pick. one has him taken by Minny at 8 and one by us at 26. the other 4 left him out of the first round.

He's the free faller of this draft or he was exactly where teams expected him to be and the guru's are catching up to where the NFL teams thought he should be.

I"m going with the latter. I never thought he was a first round pick.
Posted By: wavs2u Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/27/14 07:09 PM
Quote:

Quote:

most of the people that are guru's don't see Bridgewater as a first round pick. one has him taken by Minny at 8 and one by us at 26. the other 4 left him out of the first round.

He's the free faller of this draft or he was exactly where teams expected him to be and the guru's are catching up to where the NFL teams thought he should be.

Bridgewater reminds me of Aaron Rodgers. Before the draft, he was considered 1 of 2 surefire #1 QBs, but during the draft he dropped all the way down to Green Bay. Why? Not because of tape or games, but because of so-called Draft Gurus! How did he turn out? JMHO Go Brownies!!!!
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/27/14 08:30 PM
Quote:

Bridgewater reminds me of Aaron Rodgers.

I don't mean to bust on you... but... Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/27/14 09:10 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Bridgewater reminds me of Aaron Rodgers. Before the draft, he was considered 1 of 2 surefire #1 QBs, but during the draft he dropped all the way down to Green Bay. Why? Not because of tape or games, but because of so-called Draft Gurus! How did he turn out? JMHO Go Brownies!!!!

Guru's don't draft players... teams decide who they pick and they could care less what guru's say.

Rodgers and Bridgewater are in two different worlds.

Rodgers has way more spin on his throws.
Rodgers throws lasers all over the field even deep passes
Rodgers became good because he had time to learn how to play and train in the NFL
Rodgers is consistent with his throwing motion.
Rodgers has the ability to run and ran twice as much as Teddy did in three years of college
Rodgers only played two season of college ball
Bridgewater played three

Rodgers also fell because a lot of teams didn't need a QB once he passed SF it was a free fall
a lot of teams didn't like how cocky Rodgers was.

there are more differences... but that's the blatantly obvious ones.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/28/14 12:24 PM
JC

Here is a draft I'd be pretty happy with from Fan Sided (aka SI.com)

1a- Johnny Manziel- QB
1b- Kyle Fuller- CB
2 - Allen Robinson- WR
3a- Carlos Hyde- RB
3b- Shayne Skov- ILB

http://fansided.com/2014/04/28/2014-nfl-mock-draft-updated-three-round-predictions/#!GacLf
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/28/14 12:33 PM
I'm not a big fan of Allen Robinson but I would be thrilled with that outcome.
Posted By: wavs2u Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/28/14 01:12 PM
I wasn't talking about their play, I agree there is a World of difference. I was just talking about how they dropped on draft day. What has changed on Bridgewater between the end of college and now? A bad pro day. If he were a #1 candidate because of his play, game tape, etc. before his pro day, why is he considered out of the first round? He is the Same QB that he was before. JMHO Go Brownies!!!!!
Posted By: wavs2u Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/28/14 01:20 PM
I blame Him and his Management Team for not preparing him for his pro day. If he had the usual boring pro day that most QBs have, would he still be considered competition with Clowney as the #1 pick? JMHO Go Brownies!!!!
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/28/14 01:37 PM
There were a couple WRs taken later on down the line-- Moncrief, Benjamin, Adams, etc. Would you prefer one of those over Robinson IF the WR position was the selection?
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/28/14 02:12 PM
None of those 3... I might take Street over all of them. Adams I like the best of the bunch you mentioned but he drops too many passes for my liking.

I would be surprised if Skov really makes it that far. Too many teams needing ILBs and I can't think I'm alone in having him as one of the top 2 at that position.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/28/14 04:11 PM
Quote:

I wasn't talking about their play, I agree there is a World of difference. I was just talking about how they dropped on draft day.

Teddy Bridgewater hasn't been drafted by any team yet. He could very well go high in the draft still. I wouldn't take him there, but I'm not the GM for 32 NFL teams either.

Quote:

What has changed on Bridgewater between the end of college and now? A bad pro day. If he were a #1 candidate because of his play, game tape, etc. before his pro day, why is he considered out of the first round? He is the Same QB that he was before. JMHO Go Brownies!!!!!

I never have thought of him with such high regard. The bad pro day didn't help him. If the other reports that he had disastrous workouts is true then you should have your answer.

As for the 'game tape', I see a lot of flaws in his game and his stature. He won't survive the NFL game unless they make it flag football between now and the start of the season.
Posted By: Tubby_Dawg Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 04/29/14 03:47 AM
j/c I just did this draft using the fanspeak simulator and big board. I decided to go against the common trend of going O heavy and decided to fix the D then focus on our offensive needs. please comment and discuss your thoughts. Id be pretty stoked if this is how it unfolded.

http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/draft.php?d=bukvxy

DE JADEVEON CLOWNEY
SOUTH CAROLINA
Talent, talent, talent. I think if he is there at 4 we would kick ourselves in the butt for years if we passed on him. IMO is an instant upgrade over both Bryant and Rubin. Not to mention would look great putting the rapist, Flacco, and Dalton into the ground multiple times each game.

CB DARQUEZE DENNARD
MICHIGAN STATE
Shutdown corner to put opposite Haden. With this pick our secondary would be one of the best in the NFL.

ILB C.J. MOSLEY
ALABAMA
This kid is going to be good, and would be a beast for us on the inside. surprised the simulator dropped him this far, but this would be a great pick IMO.

RB TRE MASON
AUBURN
Very good RB who could handle the job if/when Tate goes down, and offer a nice 1-2 punch when Tate is healthy.

QB AARON MURRAY
GEORGIA
Another player I have been high on.I still feel Murray is the best qb of this draft. and think we should get him. Before his injury he was lighting up the scoreboards and would have been in the discussions with the big 3.

C MARCUS MARTIN
USC
The thought with this pick is bump him over to guard for a few years. if/when Mack takes his ball and goes home we have a very tough solid center to plug in his spot.

CB LOUCHEIZ PURIFOY
FLORIDA
I have been pretty high on Purifoy for a while. I see him as an upgrade over skrine.

WR KEVIN NORWOOD
ALABAMA
Pretty solid wr, who has some pretty decent hands. needs to work on his routes but the talent is there.

S VINNIE SUNSERI
ALABAMA
I like this kids film, he plays with intensity and can be a special teams guy while he learns the position from wHitner.

QB TAJH BOYD
CLEMSON
fits the mobile qb lil shanny likes, and Farmer hinted about grooming for a year or two. has tons of talent but does need some work.
Posted By: Lyuokdea Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/01/14 03:39 PM
This is my new favorite from first pick. Mack won't fall that far (but if he doesn't maybe Evans or something does). After that I traded around and got guys I like at every spot.

Round 1 Pick 10 (DET): Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo (A)
Round 1 Pick 18 (NYJ): Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville (A)
Round 2 Pick 3: Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech (A-)
Round 2 Pick 23 (CINN): Joel Bitonio, OG, Nevada (A)
Round 3 Pick 4 (ATL): Davante Adams, WR, Fresno State (A)
Round 3 Pick 8 (MINN): Chris Borland, ILB, Wisconsin (A-)
Round 6 Pick 4: Jerick McKinnon, RB, Georgia Southern (A)
Round 7 Pick 3: Dri Archer, WR, Kent State (A)
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/01/14 04:16 PM
Rigged. You're a sucker.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/01/14 04:35 PM
Either FanSpeak knows something we don't, or they're crazy. I did two drafts myself yesterday and oddly enough Clowney fell to me both times as well....I'm pretty sure they are the only ones on Earth that think Clowney would fall to us. So either they are smarter than everyone else, of dumber than everyone else.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/01/14 04:37 PM
I think Bridewater saying that he struggles with a cold ball hurt his stock a lot. That's really what turned me off on him...and the fact that his pro day was terrible.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/01/14 04:39 PM
Who plays better with a cold ball?
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/01/14 04:40 PM
Quote:

A eunuch.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/01/14 04:43 PM
Quote:

Quote:

A eunuch.

I'm so glad I googled that...
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/01/14 04:47 PM
Quote:

Quote:

A eunuch.

Posted By: clevesteve Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/06/14 01:33 PM
Finished Round 1...

http://www.cornerblitz.com/2014/Mocks/Final/Default.aspx

1. Houston Texans
QBp Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M
I'm not buying the assumption that Houston is entertaining anything other than a quarterback at number one. They lost last year not only because of poor quarterbacking, but poor leadership. The did not go 2-14 last year because of a lack of defensive playmakers. I would be shocked if Houston does anything but take a quarterback they feel is a strong leader for the team, and think they would regret that decision for years.

2. St. Louis Rams (from WAS)
WRf Sammy Watkins, Clemson
While most seem to think the Rams would go with an offensive tackle or Clowney, I think it's clear that a true dominating number one receiver is what's missing the most on this team. The Rams line was still OK after Jake Long went down last year and his career is not over. St. Louis will be fine at OT and they have too much money tied up in Jake Long to reboot the position. Watkinsis the clear number one receiver available in the draft. Jeff Fisher would like to drop down and still get Watkins, but he lost out on the player he really wanted when he moved down in the 2012 draft and likely won't try to get too cute again. A possibility of a trade up from Cleveland exists, but two firsts and a fourth is a price the Browns might flinch at to move up two spots.

3. Jacksonville Jaguars
QBp Derek Carr, Fresno State
Gus Bradley has been trying to mask his giddyness about Carr since the Senior Bowl. Carr worked alongside Jimmy Garoppolo and David Fales under Bradley's eye that week and he clearly outshined all the QBs at the game. The Jags' staff went so far as to feed the NFL Networks' sideline reporter what I believe to be a fake playcall of a deep pass, then had Carr throw a WR screen (which had been a point of criticism all week on the Senior Bowl coverage). If Cleveland trades ahead of Jacksonville to select Carr, I believe the Jags will nab Teddy Bridgewater at 3, but like I said above I believe Cleveland will balk at the Rams' asking price. Jacksonville would like to move down and take Carr, but Carr has been linked too much to both Cleveland and Oakland for them to consider it.

4. Cleveland Browns
QBm Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville
While it may seem difficult for the Browns to take Teddy Bridgewater after his comments about having difficulty throwing a "cold ball", Bridgewater does display what GM Ray Farmer has said he values most in QBs, what they see and how they react in the five seconds leading up to the snap and what they see and how they react in the two and a half seconds after. While Carr and/or Manziel may be higher on their list, they are gone in this scenario. Bridgewater does fit the bill of a smart quarterback who can complete passes from the pocket and rolling out, a necessity for the reinstallation of a West Coast Offense in Cleveland. As the last top-tier QB available to start sooner rather than later, Cleveland plays it safe and snags Bridgewater despite Atlanta's offer to move up.

5. Oakland Raiders
RE Jadeveon Clowney, South Carolina
Despite Oakland's needs at QB and WR, Clowney is just too good to pass up at this point. Justin Tuck hasn't been as effective in recent years and could even slide back inside to UT like his early days in New York, and LaMarr Woodley hasn't played defensive end since his days at Michigan. If Carr or Bridgewater were available, they may take one of them here, but reports are they are not interested in Blake Bortles and Watkins is already off the board.

6. Minnesota Vikings (from ATL)
QBp Blake Bortles, UCF
TRADE: MIN #8 and #72 for ATL #6 and ATL #147. Minnesota moves up to make sure they snag Blake Bortles ahead of Tampa Bay. They must come away with a new starting quarterback, and the idea of pounding teams with the combination of Bortles and Peterson is easy for football fans to get excited about. The Vikings have an extra third this year from Seattle, so it's easy for them to part with this pick to upgrade over Christian Ponder and Matt Cassell.

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
SLB Khalil Mack, Buffalo
Tampa needs a bevy of wide receivers, but the opportunity to snag Mack with All-Pro Lavonte David and stalwart Mason Foster is too good for them to pass up. At this point, none of the receivers or quarterbacks seem worth the pick and Mack to many observers would be the best player available.

8. Atlanta Falcons (from MIN)
RT Jake Matthews, Texas A&M
After losing out on Clowney, Atlanta moves back and grabs an extra third round pick while still snagging the best offensive tackle in the draft. Some might have Atlanta stay put and grab the next available pass rusher, but I think this move, collecting more ammo to move back up for a pass rusher, is the better play.

9. Buffalo Bills
RT Greg Robinson, Auburn
Buffalo would be ecstatic for Robinson to be available at nine. The power running game Buffalo could must with Robinson opposite Cordy Glenn would be devastating.

10. Detroit Lions
SLB Anthony Barr, UCLA
The Lions turn their weakest linebacking position into their strongest with the selection of Anthony Barr. Though Barr was primarily a penetrating edge defender at UCLA, he showed the ability to cover when needed. Barr will strengthen the Lions' run defense as well as add pass rush ability.

11. Tennessee Titans
ILB C.J. Mosley, Alabama
Tennessee is converting to a 3-4 defense this year under Ray Horton. Horton says he runs a multi-front defense, but his history shows he is a 3-4 coordinator. The Titans need an athletic coverage linebacker and Mosley fits that bill to a T. Seeking a trade-down here is tempting, as is cornerback with all of the options available, but Mosley is the best option to fill that particular spot in the draft by a wide margin and is a risk to be taken by the Giants and the Rams, who are the next two teams up.

12. New York Giants
TE Eric Ebron, North Carolina
The Giants take the top TE in the draft, Eric Ebron, at 12. Ebron is a special receiver and athlete and will add a dimension to the Giants' offense they've been lacking since the end of Shockey's heyday.

13. Chicago Bears (from STL)
UT Aaron Donald, Pittsburgh
TRADE: CHI #14 and #117 to STL for #13. Chicago parts with a 4th round pick to stave off Dallas' attempt to move up for the player they covet. Aaron Donald is a monster in the middle and Chicago didn't want to lose both Donald AND Henry Melton to the Cowboys.

14. St. Louis Rams (from CHI)
FS Hasean Clinton-Dix, Alabama
The Rams drop one spot and still nab the player they covet. They've got the top free safety and the top wide receiver in the draft to this point and picked up additional trade ammunition in the process.

15. Pittsburgh Steelers
LT Taylor Lewan, Michigan
The Steelers feel like they hit the jackpot as they have their choice of the top left tackle, cornerback, or nose tackle in the draft. Ultimately, their struggles to fill out the left tackle spot sway the decision to go with Lewan, who would have been in consideration for the top overall pick last year.

16. Dallas Cowboys
NT Timmy Jernigan, Florida State
After failing to land Aaron Donald, Dallas is relieved to have Timmy Jernigan available at 16. Melton and Jernigan are two strong terrors for the middle of their defense.

17. Baltimore Ravens
CB Justin Gilbert, Oklahoma State
Ozzie Newsome has always let the draft fall to him, and at this point Justin Gilbert is too much of an impact playmaker to let pass by. Gilbert has a lot of the same physical attributes that drew Ozzie's attention to Jimmy Smith, but better field awareness and more of a knack for the big play.

18. New York Jets
WRf Brandin Cooks, Oregon State
Brandin Cooks is an electric receiver with great run-after catch ability. His knack for creating separation is ideal for the Jets' west-coast based offense and will provide a target that will help boost the confidence of their young quarterback Geno Smith

19. Miami Dolphins
RT Zack Martin, Notre Dame
Miami's reconstruction of their offensive line continues as they snag Zach Martin. Martin can play guard or tackle depending on what falls later in the draft, and who better to help the Dolphins forget the ugliness of last season than a tackle named Martin?

20. Arizona Cardinals
SS Calvin Pryor, Louisville
The Cardinals are happy to have the hard-hitting Calvin Pryor fall into their lap at 20. Pryor probably doesn't have the range to play free safety in the NFL, but he can be major support in the run game that San Francisco and Seattle bring.

21. Green Bay Packers
WRf Marqise Lee, Southern California
With Randall Cobb and Jordy Nelson's contracts expiring at the end of the season, it's unlikely they will be able to keep both of them. Picking up Lee would keep Aaron Rodgers flush with talent at wide receiver, which has been Green Bay's formula for success for years.

22. Philadelphia Eagles
NT Louis Nix, Notre Dame
There is no doubt that Philadelphia is looking to add a receiver or two in this draft, but with Nix still on the board, the Eagles may be facing their one crack at a viable starting nose tackle in their 3-4 alignment. ODB is tough pass up here, but there are a bunch of talented wide receivers in this draft.

23. Cleveland Browns (from KC)
CB Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech
TRADE: CLE #26 and #127 for KC #23. The Browns have 10 selections in the draft and have already secured their quarterback. With a couple cornerback-needy teams betwen them and their pick, they move up and snag Fuller. Fuller is the top man cover corner and has great toughness and tackling ability.

24. Cincinnati Bengals
CB Darqueze Dennard, Michigan State
The Bengals have been drafting corners for years but haven't quite hit on the right one yet. With the top safeties off the board and no centers worth a first round pick, Dennard is the pick here. Darqueze Dennard is considered by many to be the top corner in the draft.

25. San Francisco 49ers (from SD)
WRf Odell Beckham Jr., LSU
TRADE: SF #30 and #94 for SD #25. San Francisco sees an opening to move up and snag Odell Backham, Jr. and does it. Beckham, Jr. can play any receiver position and would provide a boost for a receiving group which could use an injection of new blood. With Boldin getting older and Crabtree's contract coming up, the 49ers need a receiver they can count on that won't cost them an arm and a leg.

26. Kansas City Chiefs (from IND)
WRp Mike Evans, Texas A&M
Mike Evans represents a big, strong complement to Dwayne Bowe. He is a freightening talent running after the catch and would pair well with the quick-hitting Alex Smith.

27. New Orleans Saints
OLB Dee Ford, Auburn
The Saints nab Dee Ford to build on their pass rush. Ford has the quickest first step in the draft and was a terror off the left edge during Auburn's run to the national championship game. He'll remain at LOLB opposite Junior Galette with the Saints.

28. Carolina Panthers
LT Cyrus Kouandjio, Alabama
I don't know all the details of Cyrus Kouandjio's medical, but he was considered a top 10 pick for a long time. After a poor combine showing and bad news about his physical condition, his reputation has plummeted. Leading into last year's draft, his ex-teammate DJ Fluker had an awful combine and many dropped him out of the first round, yet he ended up having the finest rookie season of any of the tackles last year. Carolina is in desperate need of a left tackle after the abrupt retirment of Jordan Goss, so they should be happy to find Kouandjio at this spot.

29. New England Patriots
LE Kony Ealy, Missouri
New England adds Kony Ealy, a big, strong, and fast pass rusher with their first pick who will push Rob Ninkovich immediately.

30. San Diego Chargers (from SF)
OG Xavier Su'a-Filo, UCLA
San Diego would be heartbroken to see Dennard and Fuller go right in front of them, but they pick up an extra third and Su'a-Filo, possibly the most athletic guard in the draftright in front of their division rivals. Left guard is a serious sore spot for San Diego, and big Xavier might be the best candidate for the position in the draft.

31. Atlanta Falcons (from DEN)
OLB Demarcus Lawrence, Boise State
TRADE: ATL #37 and #112 for DEN #31 After earlier picking up Minnesota's 3rd round pick, Atlanta is happy to part ways with their 4th round selection to fill their greatest remaining need of a pass rusher. Demarcus Lawrence is a player with an excellent first step, good closing speed and long arms. The Falcons envision him rattling the QBs of the NFC South.

32. Seattle Seahawks
RT JaWuan James, Tennessee
Seattle nabs the highly-athletic Ja'Wuan James to man the right side of their line. James is a rare prospect who has left tackle athleticism but most of his experience comes from the right side. This should be a great fit for Seattle, as they move Bowie inside to guard.
Posted By: Browns26 Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/06/14 01:45 PM
If the Browns trade up for Fuller with Mike Evans on the board I would be bummed out. I would trade up and take Mike Evans instead. If Mike Evans makes it past pick 12 I would start trying to trade up personally. Mike Evans is going to be awesome. Him, Gordon and Cameron would be insane!
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/06/14 01:48 PM
If we trade up, I think it's going to be from 35 to 32.

To get in front of Houston for a QB.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/06/14 02:05 PM
The MMQB Mock Draft: Who Teams Will Select
More than in years past, the teams in the 2014 NFL Draft have done a good job of hiding their intentions. Here's our fearless leader's attempt to solve the jigsaw puzzle, complete with a handful of trades and a relative surprise choice at No. 1

By
Peter King
· More from Peter·
Of all the years I haven’t known anything entering the draft, this is really the year I don’t know anything. I texted congratulations to a general manager with a top-10 pick Sunday, saying he deserved praise because no one around the league knew what he was doing at his pick.

“Ha!’’ this GM texted back. “Neither do we

There’s another team that is practicing intentional misdirection right now. By that I mean this team knows some of its coaches and front-office officials talk to people around the league, and some of the employees have been told it wouldn’t be such a terrible things if you left the impression we might take so-and-so, or this-and-that. Earnestly. That’s why it’s so dangerous to trust everything you hear at this time of year. You’re best to go with your gut feeling, judging by what teams need.

More than ever this year, my strategy is to get as many first-round picks as possible correct. I won’t have many direct hits—that’s a guarantee. But if I do well, say 27 or 28 first-round picks actually getting picked in the round, I’ll consider it a success.

Also, if you want to see what teams should do in the first round, colleague Greg Bedard has you covered.

Style notes: Teams that I have trading, either up or down, are listed in italics. And teams that want to trade but weren’t able to find a deal in my mock are listed with an asterisk.

1. *HOUSTON: KHALIL MACK, OLB, BUFFALO

While everyone talks about the immense athleticism of Jadeveon Clowney, let’s point this out: Mack’s 40 time at his Pro Day was 4.53 seconds. Clowney’s was 4.53 seconds. Mack vertical-jumped 40 inches, Clowney 37.5. GM Rick Smith must ignore the heat for bypassing Clowney.

2. ST. LOUIS: GREG ROBINSON, T, AUBURN

Biggest question for Jeff Fisher, obviously, is how he can not pick Jake Matthews, the son of a former great Oiler/Titan. But Bruce Matthews will understand. Robinson has the potential to be Orlando Pace II.

3. JACKSONVILLE: SAMMY WATKINS, WR, CLEMSON

All along I’ve thought it’d be Watkins or Mack here. One GM told me, “Take the safest guy here. David Caldwell will go safe.” Nobody truly is a safe pick in the NFL, but in the Watkins-versus-Clowney game, Watkins seems safer to me. And talk about a need pick.

4. ATLANTA: JADEVEON CLOWNEY, DE, S. CAROLINA

(Acquired from Cleveland for first- and third-round picks.)

I wouldn’t be surprised if Mack was higher-rated by the Falcons, but with Clowney still there at such a vital position of need, it’s worth the risk to jump up and ensure the Raiders don’t pick him.

5. OAKLAND: JAKE MATTHEWS, T, TEXAS A&M

Raiders get their Texas A&M offensive star, just not the one lots of Raiders fans wished it was. But offensive line is a huge need for Oakland, and GM Reggie McKenzie can dip into the deep pool of second-round quarterbacks with the 36th overall pick.

6. CLEVELAND: MIKE EVANS, WR, TEXAS A&M

(Acquired from Atlanta, with a third-round pick, in the trade-down from 4 to 6.)

Browns get their Texas A&M offensive star, just not the one lots of Browns fans wished it was. But how about a trio of Josh Gordon, Evans and Andrew Hawkins, the former Bengals waterbug, in the slot? Browns need a lot. This is good value for the spot. It would also give the Brown a ridiculous seven of the top 110 picks.

7. TAMPA BAY: JOHNNY MANZIEL, QB, TEXAS A&M

Wow. Three players in a row from A&M. Imagine that. If the Bucs do this, Manziel gets to learn for at least half the season behind Josh McCown (a very good player-coach), and the Bucs might be able to turn Mike Glennon into a late day-two pick.

8. MINNESOTA: AARON DONALD, DT, PITTSBURGH

Not buying the Blake Bortles buzz here, as much sense as it makes. The Vikings just have too many quarterbacks rated too closely, and they know they can get one with the 40th pick. Donald has some freakish athletic traits. Not quite John Randle, but the man is quick and can get to the passer.

9. *BUFFALO: TAYLOR LEWAN, T, MICHIGAN

Bills stunned that Lewan’s still hanging around, and they pass on tight end Eric Ebron, who could be a great security blanket for E.J. Manuel. Keep in mind that GM Doug Whaley is very much open for business here, and could trade down and still get another guy they love: Odell Beckham.

10. DETROIT: JUSTIN GILBERT, CB, OKLAHOMA STATE

I’ve heard just about every position possible here, and this could end up being Eric Ebron. But the Lions have to go corner. They just have to. Especially with the new defensive staff not seeing much talent to work with at the position.

11. TENNESSEE: ANTHONY BARR, OLB, UCLA

Ken Whisenhunt gulps hard when passing on a corner, and on Derek Carr. But the Titans need a pass-rusher badly. Barr has some limitations as a complete player, but he can get after the quarterback, and the Titans are going to need to threaten Andrew Luck to win the AFC South.

12. N.Y. GIANTS: ZACK MARTIN, T-G-C, NOTRE DAME

The offensive line is being overhauled and the Giants will pounce if Martin’s there. “Most versatile lineman I’ve seen come out in the draft in the last 10 years,’’ one assistant GM tell me.

13. *ST. LOUIS: DARQUEZE DENNARD, CB, MICH. ST.

Too bad Martin didn’t fall just one little slot here; if so, Rams GM Les Snead could have made a good trade for this pick with desperate Miami at 19. Dennard is a luxury pick who can challenge Trumaine Johnson at left corner in camp. I don’t have a good feel for the Rams’ pick here, but I am pretty sure it won’t be Ha Ha Clinton-Dix.

14. CHICAGO: CALVIN PRYOR, SS, LOUISVILLE

My bet is GM Phil Emery would have liked Aaron Donald a lot here, and he’d be happy to move down if a greedy team threw him a day two pick. The Bears need some secondary reconstruction, and Pryor could start it.

15. PHILADELPHIA: ODELL BECKHAM, WR-KR, LSU

(Acquired from Pittsburgh for first- and second-round picks.)

A bit of a risky move, because the Eagles probably could have stayed at 22 and gotten Marqise Lee, another object of their affections. But the versatility of Beckham—who can play outside and slot and on returns—makes him a good replacement for DeSean Jackson. And cheaper.

16. DALLAS: TIMMY JERNIGAN, DT, FLORIDA STATE

Defensive coaches breathe a big sigh that Manziel’s off the board, because they know Jerry Jones was smitten with him. Jernigan will be day-one help for the league’s 30th-ranked run defense from last year. Not a giant, but a good run player because he plays with strong leverage.

17. BALTIMORE: ERIC EBRON, TE, NORTH CAROLINA

Party in the Ravens’ draft room. They love Ebron’s ability to be an instant force in the passing game and, combined with Dennis Pitta and perhaps Owen Daniels, the Ravens will have the best tight-end depth chart in football. Joe Flacco is very, very pleased.

18. N.Y. JETS: BRANDIN COOKS, WR, OREGON STATE

Still smarting from the Stephen Hill bust of a pick two years ago, the Jets get it right this time with a player who is every bit as good and explosive as last year’s top receiver picked—Tavon Austin. He’ll be exciting to watch. Finally the Jets can be competitive in offensive weaponry after being awful for the past few years.

19. MIAMI: CYRUS KOUANDJIO, T, ALABAMA

Not the tackle the Dolphins wanted, but at this point, beggars can’t be choosers. The Dolphins’ need is so big that new GM Dennis Hickey just had to do this. I expect Hickey to try to move up for Zack Martin, but I also expect he’ll find the price way too high.

20. ARIZONA: DEREK CARR, QB, FRESNO STATE

I just get the feeling that GM Steve Keim looks at his draft board here and thinks, “Well, Ted Thompson took Aaron Rodgers when it wasn’t a crying need—and maybe Carson Palmer will give us two more solid years. But Carr’s too good, and too high on our board, to pass up.”

21. GREEN BAY: C.J. MOSLEY, LB, ALABAMA

I wanted to put Ryan Shazier here, and that could well be Ted Thompson’s pick. But the Packers have to like Mosley’s nose for the ball, and Green Bay’s need at inside linebacker is big. This is a logical pick, and Thompson’s a logical man.

22. PITTSBURGH: KYLE FULLER, CB, VIRGINIA TECH

(Acquired from Philadelphia in the trade-down from 15 to 22.)

The Steelers are desperate to rebuild their cornerback depth chart, and this four-year starter in the ACC is a good way to begin. He’s physical too, the kind of player Mike Tomlin demands in the defensive backfield.

23. *KANSAS CITY: MARQISE LEE, WR, USC

Alex Smith, you’ve got a weapon. Dwayne Bowe, you’ve got a running mate. Though I think the Chiefs are hungry to get out of the pick—they don’t pick again till 87, having surrendered two second-rounders to San Francisco for Smith—I also think Andy Reid knows he needs help at receiver to upgrade his offensive attack.

24. CINCINNATI: HA HA CLINTON-DIX, S, ALABAMA

Safety’s not the biggest need for the Bengals, but this pick falls into the category of “I’ve got to find a spot for Ha Ha.” Cincinnati has replenished good positions in recent years, and that’s what this pick is about. The Bengals can use help in the back end.

25. SAN DIEGO: JASON VERRETT, CB, TCU

The Chargers gave up 259 passing yards a game last year, and they face the reality of having to beat Peyton Manning for at least the next two years if they want to win the AFC West. A corner upgrade is vital. Verrett might be the best slot corner in this draft, and he’s good value here.

26. CLEVELAND: BLAKE BORTLES, QB, CENTRAL FLA.

The crash-and-burn that was Bortles’ night in the draft green room ends as Ray Farmer wins his game of chicken with the rest of the league. Can this happen? I am dubious, but I do think a very good player or two will fall precipitously, and as I made my calls in the past few days, I couldn’t find a Bortles lover. One may be in hiding. We’ll see.

27. NEW ORLEANS: RYAN SHAZIER, OLB, OHIO STATE

GM Mickey Loomis has gotten some very good value picks over the years, and this would be right up with the better ones in that class. I still think Loomis could go Darqueze Dennard in this scenario and be happy; Champ Bailey will be 36 in June. But Shazier is Rob Ryan’s kind of guy: disruptive (30.5 tackles behind the line last year) and tough, tough, tough.

28. CAROLINA: JORDAN MATTHEWS, WR, VANDERBILT

Now we get into the not-so-cream of the receiver crop. GM Dave Gettleman likes college experience and production out of his picks, so here comes the SEC’s all-time leading receiver, coming off a 112-catch season. Doesn’t hurt that he’s 6-3 and runs below a 4.5.

29. *NEW ENGLAND: STEPHON TUITT, DL, NOTRE DAME

Everyone I’ve talked to said some version of, “Oh, New England’s trading out.” Which I buy. I also would buy tight end Jace Amaro here. I do not buy Ra’shede Hageman. Too boom-or-bust. Tuitt’s a very strong Patriot kind of versatile tackle and 3-4 end with the ability to play outside, a la Vince Wilfork.

30. *SAN FRANCISCO: CODY LATIMER, WR, INDIANA

The 49ers lack speed outside, and that’s why I think it’s more likely they vault way up using their treasure trove of picks (56, 61, 77, 94, to name the next four) than it is that they’d stay put. But if they don’t find a partner, Latimer and his 4.4 speed could be a good compliment to receiving-game staples Anquan Boldin and Vernon Davis.

31. DENVER: RA’SHEDE HAGEMAN, DT, MINNESOTA

“John Fox loves Hageman,’’ one GM told me Monday, and putting him in a three-man combo platter with Sylvester Williams and Terrance Knighton would be big trouble for the offensive coordinators of the AFC West … if Hageman can be the kind of consistent player he wasn’t always at Minnesota.

32. CLEVELAND: XAVIER SU’A-FILO, G, UCLA

(Acquired in trade with Seattle for a second- and low fourth-round pick.)

The Browns have been trying to sneak into the lower first round, thinking they’d need to move ahead of Houston at 33 to get their quarterback. But if they get Bortles or Manziel, now they have the luxury of jumping up four spot to get the best guard in the draft, filling a big need.

web page
Posted By: Browns26 Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/06/14 02:21 PM
I hope Peter King is right! I would love this draft. Huge upgrade on offense with Evans, Bortles and Su’a-Filo.
Posted By: BpG Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/06/14 02:22 PM
Quote:

I hope Peter King is right! I would love this draft. Huge upgrade on offense with Evans, Bortles and Su’a-Filo.

So wait, we get a big, stud SEC playmaker and a QB that everyone passed on.

Man oh man, where have I see that before?
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/06/14 02:42 PM
Posted By: Tubby_Dawg Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/06/14 03:11 PM
im just ready to get this draft over with and onto the superbowl #brownsgoodkarma
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/06/14 03:19 PM
I find it impossible to believe that we would acquire a 3rd first round pick, and use all 3 on offense. Not with a defensive head coach.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/06/14 03:22 PM
We'd then have 3rds to grab defensive players. I'd assume wed move back into the 2nd.

But I understand your point. However I think Pettine would be in favor of Oline types.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/06/14 03:28 PM
With a minor hole at G, and at least one, and more likely 2 gaping holes at CB that cost us games last year, if we don't take a CB in the 1st, then we really aren't serious about filling the most desperate needs this team has.

Sure, we could take a 3rd round CB .... but the drop off to that part of the draft is significant.

I'm not really overly enthused about a WR at 26 ...... but, at least that's a weapon.
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/06/14 03:37 PM
Quote:

I find it impossible to believe that we would acquire a 3rd first round pick, and use all 3 on offense. Not with a defensive head coach.

I would only see it happening if Houston & Cleveland had BOTH already passed on QBs.

With King having us taking Bortles at 26, I don't think we'd bother trading up in front of Houston.
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/06/14 04:24 PM
Quote:

We need balance.

Even the greatest defense will be burnt out if the offense can't do it's share. Repeated three-&-outs ruin your D. Plus, in today's NFL, despite Seattle's success, you still need to outscore the other team.
Posted By: DjangoBrown Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/06/14 05:58 PM
If we pick let alone trade up for XSF, I'm sure I will break something in my vicinity

One of the most over-hyped prospects in the draft and the tape to hype ration is deep in the red on my list. It must be his fancy name and the fact that everyone loves a Hawai'an or Samo'an type at OG, but the negatvies from draftscout says it all about him in one sentence (and I swear, it's the first thing that jumped out at me while watching him "block". He simply lost every 2nd battle and his opponents slipped into the backfield time and again):

"Weaknesses: Has a tendency to lose leverage on contact. "

Great, let's draft an OL that loses leverage on contact. While we're at it, let's draft a QB that struggles to throw, or a RB who runs only straight ahead or a WR that drops balls. Sounds like a plan
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/06/14 06:04 PM
Quote:

Great, let's draft an OL that loses leverage on contact. While we're at it, let's draft a QB that struggles to throw, or a RB who runs only straight ahead or a WR that drops balls. Sounds like a plan

Sadly, that sounds exactly like our plan over the last 10 years...
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/06/14 06:14 PM
Quote:

Man oh man, where have I see that before?

Indeed! King's mock would be our worst nightmare...
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/06/14 06:14 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Sadly, that sounds exactly like our plan over the last 10 years...

He's been reading Lombardi's leaked Browns' draft guide.
Posted By: The Nuke Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/06/14 07:06 PM
There is no player in this draft worth trading up from #4. We have so many needs, I hope we trade down to add more picks. My priorities:

OG (Martin)
QB (Mettenberger...assuming no substance issues or Thomas)
RB (Hyde)
CB ( Jean-Baptiste)
ILB (best available...possible Andrew Jackson)
WR (looking at lower rounds...maybe L'Damian Washington)
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/06/14 07:18 PM
ESPN is having a Live Mock Draft with it's beat reporters from each team right now. With our first pick, Clowney, Robinson and Mack were all off the board, and we took Manziel. The Raiders happily took Watkins after that.

By the 26th pick, both receivers and corners were flying off the board ... yet Teddy and Carr were both still available. We ended up taking Cody Latimer because we had to take something other than a QB.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/06/14 08:43 PM
Quote:

Quote:

We need balance.

Even the greatest defense will be burnt out if the offense can't do it's share. Repeated three-&-outs ruin your D. Plus, in today's NFL, despite Seattle's success, you still need to outscore the other team.

Yeah .... but a QB would solve most of our offensive problems.

We have a solid OL, with a Pro Bowl LT and C ...... We have a Pro Bowl WR, and a Pro Bowl TE. We have a well respected RB added to the mix, along with veteran players at WR to fill in holes.

We need a QB. A 2nd premiere WR would be nice. A Guard would be a luxury. A T would be a luxury. We need a QB. We need an ILB. We need a pair of plus level CB so we don't get annihilated by opposing QBs late in games at clutch time. We have 1 very good CB, and one good CB. Beyond that, we have trouble. Maybe McFadden develops this year, maybe not. Beyond him, who else do you want covering a Ravens' wideout with the Browns up by 2, with 2 minutes left in the game? If they go 4 wide, we're well suited to cover ... 2 of them.

On offense, we need a QB. That is our biggest need, by miles. On defense, we need help at ILB and CB ..... and preferably 2 players at each position so they can battle it out. Guard? Meh. We had a damn good OL last year, when any QB not named Weeden was under center. We return 80% of that OL. Plus, those 4 players were very good in the WCO under Shurmur. No reason to expect that they won't be again under Shanahan.

I want a QB, and I could almost accept a WR ..... but if we get 2 first round picks and go offense with all of them, I'll be shocked half to death. This team has major needs on defense. Not wants .... not suggestions .,.... but needs.
Posted By: pfm1963 Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/06/14 08:54 PM
I want Manziel at #4 and a CB at #26

If Johnny is not available, I would try to trade down. If we are stuck there, then I would take K. Mack, S Watkins, or Clowney
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/06/14 08:58 PM
Quote:

I want Manziel at #4 and a CB at #26

If Johnny is not available, I would try to trade down. If we are stuck there, then I would take K. Mack, S Watkins, or Clowney

This is exactly how I feel. And not just Manziel as the first choice, but any QB really. I just want there to be a franchise QB worthy of the #4 pick, no matter who it is.

After that a trade down to get someone like Gilbert, Mosley, Evans...something like that.
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/06/14 09:04 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

We need balance.

Yeah .... but a QB would solve most of our offensive problems.

We have a solid OL, with a Pro Bowl LT and C ...... We have a Pro Bowl WR, and a Pro Bowl TE. We have a well respected RB added to the mix, along with veteran players at WR to fill in holes.

We need a QB. A 2nd premiere WR would be nice. A Guard would be a luxury. A T would be a luxury. We need a QB. We need an ILB. We need a pair of plus level CB so we don't get annihilated by opposing QBs late in games at clutch time. We have 1 very good CB, and one good CB. Beyond that, we have trouble. Maybe McFadden develops this year, maybe not. Beyond him, who else do you want covering a Ravens' wideout with the Browns up by 2, with 2 minutes left in the game? If they go 4 wide, we're well suited to cover ... 2 of them.

On offense, we need a QB. That is our biggest need, by miles. On defense, we need help at ILB and CB ..... and preferably 2 players at each position so they can battle it out. Guard? Meh. We had a damn good OL last year, when any QB not named Weeden was under center. We return 80% of that OL. Plus, those 4 players were very good in the WCO under Shurmur. No reason to expect that they won't be again under Shanahan.

I want a QB, and I could almost accept a WR ..... but if we get 2 first round picks and go offense with all of them, I'll be shocked half to death. This team has major needs on defense. Not wants .... not suggestions .,.... but needs.

So, assuming we stick with 4, 26, & 35 and we throw out the BPA draft methodology, you're taking a QB, CB and then an ILB in that order based on need. What's your dream and then realistic scenario?
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/06/14 09:30 PM
I suppose that it depends on who the team sees as their ideal QB, and whether he could be there at 26 or not. (or even just lower in the top end of the draft if we could still get the guy we want)

If the team sees 3 QB as fairly even (Say, maybe, Manziel, Carr, or Bortles, and I have no idea if this is the case or not, but just a possibility) and all are on board when the 4 pick comes up, maybe we try to trade down a couple of spots. That would be my dream. Drop down a few spots, and pick up a late 2nd. or early 3rd round pick to add to our bounty.

I guess, then, that my ideal draft would have us trading down with the Falcons for their 3rd round pick along with #6. We would then grab our best remaining QB on the board.

However, sticking with where we are, my ideal would be taking our best option at QB at 4. Whichever QB the team feels most strongly about. At 26, maybe we get lucky and Mosley falls to us, and then double up on getting lucky and a guy like Verrett drops to us in the 2nd. Maybe we trade up into the bottom of the 1st for him if he is still there. To me, that would be a rather ideal top 3 picks.

I have this feeling that we are going to move around a bit in this draft.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/06/14 09:39 PM
Yes, if Manziel and Carr were both available and Atlanta called offering a 2 to get Clowney I'd be all over it.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/06/14 10:10 PM
j/k... well it appears the NFL has officially done it, in their quest for marketing, they have been searching for the saturation point.. I've reached mine. I'm so freakin' sick of discussing and reading about the NFL draft that I can't take it any more. I think I actually reached this point a week ago but it has taken until now for me to recognize the symptoms, like on the radio when they say "When we come back after the break we'll have on draft expert XXX to break down the QBs".. and by the time they come back, I've switched to music.. because I just don't want to hear the same crap over and over again.. or if I'm watching ESPNews to catch some scores and I see some draft topic making its way down the side bar and I switch to Big Bang Theory reruns that I've only seen once instead of draft debate that I've heard 30000 times in the last 2 months. Come Thursday afternoon I'm sure my excitement will ramp back up but for now, the way I feel right this minute, I don't even want to watch it.. just get it the hell over with.
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/06/14 10:12 PM
I'm not there yet just because I'm intentionally stayed clear of this forum for the past month. I'm just now getting into it.

But yes, take a break until Thursday man. We'll all be ready.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/07/14 06:19 AM
Round 2 posted...

http://www.cornerblitz.com/2014/Mocks/Final/R2.aspx
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/07/14 06:27 AM
Not that big on Skov. I prefer Borland (WI) or Bullough (MSU)

I would of stayed put and taken Matthews. JMHO.

Do love getting Teddy and Fuller in round 1 though.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/07/14 11:35 AM
I can see the draft going like this..

4. Sammy Watkins
26 Bortles or Bridgewater will fall a long way to us. if not, Ryan Shazier should be ours
32 or 35 Xavier Su'a-Filo or Carr if the other 2 are gone.

I can also see the draft going 4 million other directions.

this may be the most difficult drafts to predict

I could even see manziel going 4 and lee going 26 and we grab Xavier Su'a-Filo at 32 or 35

the Browns this year have truly done a great job of confusing everyone.

for once... we have a lot of different options. it's kind of nice.
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/07/14 11:49 AM
Quote:

I can also see the draft going 4 million other directions.

this may be the most difficult drafts to predict

Oh so true! Opinions (mocks, player evaluations) are so varied that it is impossible for the layman (draftnik) to get a handle on it. There seems to be no consensus...
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/07/14 03:09 PM
Quote:

26 Bortles or Bridgewater will fall a long way to us.

See there's that "insert name here" attitude regarding QB's. These two QB's are starkly different. The QB isn't the position that you simply insert a name. You need a QB that fits what you're trying to do and have them ranked. Not say, "Oh well, we'll take what ever is left".
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/07/14 03:14 PM
I don't see how anyone thinks one of the 3 top QBs will fall to 26.

Houston, Jacksonville, TB, Minnesota, Tennessee, and Arizona could ALL be looking at a QB, and if they don't take one with their first picks, they KNOW they'll have to jump us a 26 if someone did start to fall...

I'm pretty sure we're ganna end up with Carr at 26. And I don't like it.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/07/14 06:39 PM
Quote:

I don't see how anyone thinks one of the 3 top QBs will fall to 26.

Houston, Jacksonville, TB, Minnesota, Tennessee, and Arizona could ALL be looking at a QB, and if they don't take one with their first picks, they KNOW they'll have to jump us a 26 if someone did start to fall...

I'm pretty sure we're ganna end up with Carr at 26. And I don't like it.

I doubt Carr will be available at 6, let alone 26... so maybe that will make you feel better
Posted By: Attack Dawg Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/08/14 01:44 AM
4- Mike Evans WR Texas A&M- hearing his name mentioned a lot..

26-Teddy Bridgewater QB Louisville-hearing he might be there , Browns might trade up

35-Darqueze Dennard CB MSU-heard he could slide into the second,,

71-Antonio Richardson OT Tennessee

83- Terrance West RB Towsen St

106- Marcus Martin OL USC

127-Dion Bailey S USC

145-Preston Brown LB Louisville

180-Deandre Coleman DT CAL

218-Brandon Thomas OG Clemson
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/08/14 11:59 AM
Quote:

As have I.

Early last week on a couple of radio shows; many analysts mentioning it on twitter, and just this morning Matt Miller from Bleacher Report put it on his final mock draft-- I guess you can't teach 6'6 225lbs with a great vertical.
Everything is circling around #26 for that QB selection, whether using it or packaging up a trade with it.

I feel like I said this last year, but this may be the draft with the most "unknowns" for me.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/08/14 12:02 PM
And Walter Football just uploaded their with Evans as their pick....perhaps it's picking up steam OR

Just some more smoke screens.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/08/14 12:33 PM
Quote:

26-Teddy Bridgewater QB Louisville-hearing he might be there , Browns might trade up

I could live with that.. I read that the Browns have Evans rated above Watkins too...
Posted By: Browns26 Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/08/14 01:01 PM
If it worked out this way I'd be pretty happy
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/08/14 01:46 PM
Posted Round 3 and Round 4:

http://www.cornerblitz.com/2014/Mocks/Final/R3.aspx
http://www.cornerblitz.com/2014/Mocks/Final/R4.aspx

http://www.cornerblitz.com/2014/Mocks/Final/CLE.aspx
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/08/14 04:06 PM
Quote:

Quote:

I could live with that.. I read that the Browns have Evans rated above Watkins too...

I love it!

I too have Evans rated above Watkins.
Posted By: Lyuokdea Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/08/14 05:16 PM
Not a mock, but I put together my top 50 for the Browns (so I include how they fit in on this team). I think the rankings are pretty similar to the mass media ones (it's almost hard not to do that at this stage) - but there are a few twists in there:

1.) Jadeveon Clowney, DE/OLB, South Carolina
2.) Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn
3.) Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
4.) Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
5.) Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan
6.) Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M
7.) Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M
8.) Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida
9.) Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech
10.) Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State
11.) Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State
12.) Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo
13.) Calvin Pryor, FS, Louisville
14.) Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
15.) Eric Ebron, TE, UNC
16.) Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA
17.) Odell Beckham, WR, LSU
18.) Marquise Lee, WR, USC
19.) Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix, FS, Alabama
20.) Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh
21.) Zack Martin, OT, Notre Dame
22.) Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
23.) Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
24.) Cody Latimer, WR, Indiana
25.) Davante Adams, WR, Fresno State
26.) C.J. Mosley, ILB, Alabama
27.) Marcus Smith, OLB, Louisville
28.) Joel Bitonio, OG, Nevada
29.) Dee Ford, OLB, Auburn
30.) Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia
31.) Jimmy Garapolo, QB, Eastern Illinois
32.) Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State
33.) Jeremiah Attaochu, OLB, Georgia Tech
34.) Louis Nix, NT, Notre Dame
35.) Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt
36.) Bruce Ellington, WR, South Carolina
37.) Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice
38.) Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State
39.) Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State
40.) Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech
41.) Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama
42.) Ryan Shazier, ILB, Ohio State
43.) Chris Borland, ILB, Wisconsin
44.) Allen Robinson, WR, Penn State
45.) Donte Moncrief, WR, Rutgers
46.) Xavier Su’a-Filo, OG, UCLA
47.) Zach Mettenberger, QB, LSU
48.) Trai Turner, OG, LSU
49.) Baushaud Breeland, CB, Clemson
50.) Austin Sefarin-Jenkings, TE, Washington
Posted By: DonCoyote Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/08/14 05:42 PM
JC..I hate to put trades in there, but I'm sensing we move around in the 1st. I won't predict our partners.

1A. Bortles (trade back from 4?)
1B. Dennard (trade up from 26?)
2nd. Borland
3A. Bashaud Breeland, CB Clemson
3B. Travis Swanson G, Arkansas
4A. C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa
4B. Dri Archer, RB Kent St

That exhausts my knowledge. No idea on the rest!
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/08/14 06:15 PM
OK, here's my guess ..... which means that none of this will happen:

#4 traded and our 3rd traded to Atlanta for #6 and their 2nd. Hefty price, but they have paid the hefty price for their guy in the past.

#4 Traded to Atlanta
#6 Blake Bortles: QB
#26 CJ Mosley: ILB
#32 Verrett: CB (Trade to us from Seattle for our 2nd and our 4th)
#35 Traded to Seattle
#37 Kelvin Benjamin: WR
#71 Traded to Atlanta
#83 Pierre Desir: CB
#106: Traded to Seattle
#127: Cyril Richardson: G
#145 Preston Brown: ILB
#180 Jake Murphy: TE
#218 Deon Bromfield: S

I should add that I do not expect us to leave this draft with even 9 players. I suspect that we will try to trade up in a 2 for 1 proposition at least once, and try to wind up around 8 players of higher quality.

However, this is my guess, so this is absolutely guaranteed NOT to happen.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/08/14 07:04 PM
TRADE WITH LIONS: Browns Get Lions 2 and 5 This Year along with There #1 Next Year: Lions Get #4 Pick Plus our 2nd 4th This Year:

1A. Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma State
1B. Teddy Bridgewater QB Louisville
2A. Kelvin Benjamin WR FSU
2B. Chris Borland ILB Wisconsin
3A. David Yankey OG Stanford
3B. Terrance Books S FSU
4. Jeremy Hill RB LSU
5A. Martavis Bryant WR Clemson
5B. Loucheiz Purifoy CB Florida
6. Seantrel Henderson OT Miami
7. Jackson Jeffcoat, DE/OLB, Texas
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/08/14 07:13 PM
Quote:

OK, here's my guess ..... which means that none of this will happen:

#4 traded and our 3rd traded to Atlanta for #6 and their 2nd. Hefty price, but they have paid the hefty price for their guy in the past.

#4 Traded to Atlanta
#6 Blake Bortles: QB
#26 CJ Mosley: ILB
#32 Verrett: CB (Trade to us from Seattle for our 2nd and our 4th)
#35 Traded to Seattle
#37 Kelvin Benjamin: WR
#71 Traded to Atlanta
#83 Pierre Desir: CB
#106: Traded to Seattle
#127: Cyril Richardson: G
#145 Preston Brown: ILB
#180 Jake Murphy: TE
#218 Deon Bromfield: S

I should add that I do not expect us to leave this draft with even 9 players. I suspect that we will try to trade up in a 2 for 1 proposition at least once, and try to wind up around 8 players of higher quality.

However, this is my guess, so this is absolutely guaranteed NOT to happen.

Where can I sign off on this to make it happen?

IF we did take Bortles, I heard we'd probably have to expect him to sit a full year. Or at least we should expect that. A guy like him needs a full year of polish before going in. Hoyer could fill that gap, hopefully.
Posted By: 10YrOvernightSuccess Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/08/14 07:25 PM
#4 - Mathews
#26 - Bridgewater

I'd be very happy with this.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/08/14 07:31 PM
Quote:

#4 - Mathews
#26 - Bridgewater

Me Too
Posted By: TopDawg16 Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/08/14 07:33 PM
Quote:

#4 - Mathews
#26 - Bridgewater

I'll probably need a new TV after throwing my remote through it.
Posted By: Browns26 Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/08/14 09:52 PM
Round 1 Pick 4: Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M
Round 1 Pick 26: Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
Round 3 Pick 7: Dakota Dozier, OG, Furman
Round 3 Pick 19: Yawin Smallwood, ILB, Connecticut
Round 4 Pick 6: Louchiez Purifoy, CB, Florida
Round 4 Pick 27: Bryan Stork, C, Florida State
Round 5 Pick 5: Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor
Round 6 Pick 4: Isaiah Lewis, SS, Michigan State
Round 7 Pick 3: Jonathan Newsome, OLB, Ball State
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Mock Drafts....continued - 05/08/14 10:24 PM
Knowing our Browns...we will probably take CJ Mosley #4 overall hahaha I hope not...I would like a slight trade down pick up our guy (Bridgewater?) Followed by Brandin Cooks at 26 overall...then address the Oline CB/S and ILB
© DawgTalkers.net