DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: cfrs15 Malik Willis - 03/03/22 06:30 PM
Posted By: bonefish Re: Malik Willis - 03/03/22 06:48 PM
Malik went to high school 10 minutes from my home.

I really like this young man. I sure hope he does not go to the Steelers.

If a team has patience and brings him along with a detailed plan. He could be great. He has a lot to learn about coverages and reads.

But all that he needs really is experience and good coaching. He is somewhere between Murray and Watson.

I doubt the Browns will take him if he is there at 13.

We are in a win now mode. Malik is an investment. He is not ready to start. I believe they want immediate return in the first and second round.

This is where I have no clue about Berry and his thoughts on the qb's in this draft.

It will be interesting to find out later if we bring someone in for a workout in Berea.

Pickett or Malik will most likely be the first qb taken.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Malik Willis - 03/03/22 07:15 PM
Love seeing that. But I do not wish to draft him.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Malik Willis - 03/03/22 09:29 PM
I’d trade up to get Willis.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Malik Willis - 03/03/22 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by cfrs15
You would have traded five first round picks for Mike White last year at one point.
You may have been joking. But your list of whose better than Baker includes ... everyone.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Malik Willis - 03/03/22 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by mgh888
You would have traded five first round picks for Mike White last year at one point.
You may have been joking. But your list of whose better than Baker includes ... everyone.

It literally doesn’t.
Posted By: Jester Re: Malik Willis - 03/03/22 10:12 PM
I made this predication a while back and I still stand by it.

Malik Willis gets drafted #2 overall by the Detroit Lions.
Perfect situation. A team building up from the depths, Goff to be the veteran Qb for a year allowing Willis to sit and and learn, along with time and assets to build the Oline and Wr corp.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Malik Willis - 03/03/22 10:13 PM
He is a very talented guy.

Fantastic athlete. Big arm, fast, built solid, excellent runner.

What will make or break Malik is how he adjusts to the pro game.

You have to play from the pocket. I know he can play off script. But at some point you have to read and throw guys open.

Know where to go with the ball and be accurate.

I have this bad feeling that a few years will go by and we will going damn we should have taken him. I see the risk. I know he will need time.

But I like his make up and his enormous potential.
Posted By: Hammer Re: Malik Willis - 03/04/22 12:45 AM
Take Cole Kelly after trading back into the 2nd round. This kid is Josh Allen like.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Malik Willis - 03/04/22 02:35 AM
Sorry all you Baker doubters we aren't drafting a QB in the first 2 days of the draft, I could see us take a flyer on a young QB in the 5th rd. or later, but not rounds 1-3 ... JMO
Posted By: Hammer Re: Malik Willis - 03/04/22 02:43 AM
Not a Baker doubter, buddy.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Malik Willis - 03/04/22 02:49 AM
Originally Posted by Hammer
Not a Baker doubter, buddy.

Thats good, I just don't see us wasting a high pick on a QB when we have a chance to add a solid starter or two to a team ready to win now ...
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Malik Willis - 03/04/22 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by Jester
I made this predication a while back and I still stand by it.

Malik Willis gets drafted #2 overall by the Detroit Lions.
Perfect situation. A team building up from the depths, Goff to be the veteran Qb for a year allowing Willis to sit and and learn, along with time and assets to build the Oline and Wr corp.

This makes a lot of sense.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Malik Willis - 03/04/22 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by PastorMarc
Thats good, I just don't see us wasting a high pick on a QB when we have a chance to add a solid starter or two to a team ready to win now ...

"High" pick, when talking about QBs, is a totally different animal. If we are going to cut Keenum to save money (we should), then we are in the market for at least 1 QB. We have 1 dude on the roster, and I think our 3rd should come from the draft.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Malik Willis - 03/04/22 03:19 PM
Posted By: eotab Re: Malik Willis - 03/04/22 03:34 PM
Timing is everything, it just is not good timing for Malik and the Browns. We got our Franchise QB time to give him some blue chip WRs to depend on.

jmho
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Malik Willis - 03/04/22 09:25 PM
I think Baker is our guy 2022 and if he performs like I believe he will - he will be signed to a 4-5 year contract.

I think Willis will be gone before we draft at 13.

BUT -- if Berry and KS decide they think Willis is the next Mahomes/Allen/Herbert .... and he is there at 13. I don't think they would hesitate.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Malik Willis - 03/04/22 09:51 PM
I haven't watched a whole bunch of him but I don't get the hype. I've seen the accuracy stats, which aren't the end-all, but he is at or near the bottom in most of them. His teammates could have been the reason.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Malik Willis - 03/04/22 11:05 PM
I tend to like accuracy - it's why I would never would have drafted Josh Allen. QB's do not get more accurate in the NFL - with the exception of very very few. But this trend of athletic QB's is a thing, Willis is getting a lot of play as a top pick. Who knows. In my post above, you can simply swap any QB in there - if Berry or KS (well I guess both) feel there is a legit FQB there at 13 - I would think they will draft him if they have ANY doubts about Baker.
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: Malik Willis - 03/05/22 03:06 PM
j/c:

'Someone raised this young man the right way': College football QB, 22, becomes a viral sensation after he was filmed giving a homeless pregnant woman new clothing from his own suitcase after NFL Draft event

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...ness-homeless-woman-captured-camera.html
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Malik Willis - 03/05/22 06:17 PM
I hope he doesn't end up in pittsburgh.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Malik Willis - 03/05/22 06:22 PM
My fear.
Posted By: Hammer Re: Malik Willis - 03/05/22 06:40 PM
They will have to move up to get him - like before Washington, possibly Denver.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Malik Willis - 03/05/22 08:09 PM

Hopefully the QB hype train is in full swing and we'll end up seeing at least 2 taken before our pick at 13.... or someone will want to trade with us at 13 to get one.
Posted By: Dave Re: Malik Willis - 03/05/22 09:41 PM
Just remember, when QBs go early, really good players slide. We might want to sit at 13 for great value on a pick.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Malik Willis - 03/05/22 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by GMdawg
I hope he doesn't end up in pittsburgh.

Why he is an average QB being pushed up the draft board because of NFL QB hungry teams ...
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Malik Willis - 03/06/22 02:01 AM
In your opinion. I think he has a chance to do very well in the nfl. Im not saying he will or won't but hr is very talented and could give us trouble for years and i sure as heck don't want that to happen.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Malik Willis - 03/06/22 10:59 PM
I mentioned a plan for Willis and patience. He is not ready to start in the NFL.

He was not asked to do much at Liberty. Here is a schemed throw. If open throw it. If not make a play.

He was not asked to make plays from the pocket. He will need to learn NFL route concepts and reading post snap.

That is a steep curve. He is not ready.

Pickett could run a NFL offense. He does all things well. He does nothing exceptional.

Of the rest I like Ridder. He has pocket awareness. He can slide and reset his feet quickly. I love his feet. He has a live arm. Not a gun but good.
He is moble but he looks to throw from the pocket. He is an athlete. I think he will add weight to a smallish 6'3" frame.
His accuracy can be good. But he is inconsistent in ball placement. I think he can develop. There are good things that can be worked on to refine.

Willis will get the hype but he has much to learn.

I don't know where Ridder will go? He is not a first rounder. I see him as a second or third round guy with good potential.
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Malik Willis - 03/07/22 01:48 AM

Hopefully the QB hype train is in full swing and we'll end up seeing at least 2 taken before our pick at 13.... or someone will want to trade with us at 13 to get one.

That brings up a great question. If the Steelers called the Browns on draft night and offered #20 and 2023 1st rounder for pick #13 to take their possible QB of the future. If you are GM do you take the trade? In this draft the pick you get at 13 and 20 will be fairly equal in talent so your not giving up much in terms of talent. So you would be a genius sliding 7 spots and still getting one of the top WR's and acquiring the 2023 1st rounder positions you to make a move for your own QB in 2023 if Mayfield struggles again this year. But, if Willis ends up a Steeler for a decade plus and keeps them consistent playoff contenders that move will be talked about for well over 20 years.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Malik Willis - 03/07/22 03:56 AM
Originally Posted by Day of the Dawg

That brings up a great question. If the Steelers called the Browns on draft night and offered #20 and 2023 1st rounder for pick #13 to take their possible QB of the future. If you are GM do you take the trade? In this draft the pick you get at 13 and 20 will be fairly equal in talent so your not giving up much in terms of talent. So you would be a genius sliding 7 spots and still getting one of the top WR's and acquiring the 2023 1st rounder positions you to make a move for your own QB in 2023 if Mayfield struggles again this year. But, if Willis ends up a Steeler for a decade plus and keeps them consistent playoff contenders that move will be talked about for well over 20 years.

You take the deal every time. Trust your evaluations, don’t worry about other teams.
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: Malik Willis - 03/07/22 06:20 AM

You take the deal every time. Trust your evaluations, don’t worry about other teams.

This. And as stated, every time.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Malik Willis - 03/07/22 12:11 PM
I know some teams or GM's won't trade in their own division. I think we have already seen Berry will do this, so it sounds like a good deal to me. As you said, do what you think is best for your team and don't worry about what other teams are doing.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Malik Willis - 03/07/22 12:12 PM
I know some teams or GM's won't trade in their own division. I think we have already seen Berry will do this, so it sounds like a good deal to me. As you said, do what you think is best for your team and don't worry about what other teams are doing.

I might try to squeeze a bit more out of it, but that is picking, I agree with your thought.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Malik Willis - 03/07/22 03:44 PM
If I were to trade with Pittsburgh I would want #20 their 2023 1st and this years 3rd or tell them to take a hike ...
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Malik Willis - 03/07/22 04:47 PM

That's a very good hypothetical situation to ponder. I don't think there's a one size fits all answer to it. There are varying factors to consider. First the Steelers are in our division. That doesn't mean I wouldn't make a trade with them, it just means I might hold out for a little more when trading within our own division.

Secondly, and most importantly is how this FO has Willis ranked and our teams scouting report on Willis. If you have a high evaluation on Willis and feel the odds are better than not you could be handing the Steelers a franchise QB, you don't make the trade. If your evaluation of Willis concludes he is more likely not to ever be a franchise QB, you pull the trigger every time. You have to trust the evaluation your draft team has an players.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Malik Willis - 03/08/22 10:41 AM
The Steelers have haskins. I think they will roll with him next year
Posted By: Swish Re: Malik Willis - 03/09/22 07:39 PM
you think so? i dunno if Haskins would last until week one, tbh.

i think he's a bum. it would be nice if the steelers rolled with him, but unfortunately they might see it in training camp that he isn't gonna work.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Malik Willis - 03/09/22 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
The Steelers have haskins. I think they will roll with him next year

Their GM, who will soon no longer be their GM, has said that Rudolph is currently the starter.
Posted By: Swish Re: Malik Willis - 03/09/22 08:08 PM
Willis, Watson, or roll with Baker?

thats tough. Willis certainly has a higher ceiling than Baker. but in order to draft Willis, we would have to pick him at 13 or trade down. i think getting at 8-10 isn't that expensive, especially if we trade baker for assets beforehand, or during the draft.

Watson is proven, but has huge legal issues that makes his available highly questionable. Thats a huge risk, but with the biggest upside. we can make the argument that Watson is better than Burrow, making him the best QB in our division, top 4-5 in the conference. What will that cost? Will it be similar to the cost of trading for Wilson? maybe those picks + Baker will be enough for Watson.

or we roll with Baker and just try to strengthen everything around him, and pay + draft for a legit #1 receiver, and hope he proves to be the guy.

Willis needs work, but definitely not a project in today's league. having him sit for a year would be great, but if he was in a situation to start his rookie season, on a run dominate team like ours it wouldn't be the end of the world. he has a lot of raw talent, but do we have the coaching staff to develop him? But damn....i don't want to be stuck with a daniel jones situation. Dude really didn't play anybody. but there's added pressure of not falling behind in the QB race, especially if the steelers draft him.

i'd draft him if he falls to #13. potential QB of the future/fire up mayfield's ass/doesn't cost us much.

but bro has an absolute cannon and is accurate. i like his reckless play style. you can tame that without taking away from his overall talent. Arm is stronger, accuracy is there, has a gunslinger mentality, and is far more athletic. So this is Lamar with a better arm, or a top tier version of Tyler Huntley. but i wanna learn more about him because its difficult to project what players from lower conferences could potentially be.
Posted By: Swish Re: Malik Willis - 03/09/22 08:20 PM
damn you know what kind of plays Stefanski can design and call with Willis? His physical style of play actually allows Stefanski to call more exotic plays just too keep the clock going. And his deep ball is gorgeous!!!!
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Malik Willis - 03/09/22 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by Swish
damn you know what kind of plays Stefanski can design and call with Willis? His physical style of play actually allows Stefanski to call more exotic plays just too keep the clock going. And his deep ball is gorgeous!!!!

Would I ever lead you astray?
Posted By: Swish Re: Malik Willis - 03/09/22 10:15 PM
Nope. Thanks for enlightening me
Posted By: Swish Re: Malik Willis - 03/10/22 01:01 AM
Posted By: bonefish Re: Malik Willis - 03/10/22 10:25 AM
Cowherd is something.

Does not even mention a thing about Willis's experience or lack of it.

Knows nothing about Liberty's offense.

And he would draft him five. Good thing he has never worn a GM's hat.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Malik Willis - 03/10/22 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by bonefish
Cowherd is something.
A Tool.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Malik Willis - 03/10/22 01:15 PM
I don't mind Cowherd. I think Browns fans don't like him because of his take on Baker. I like Baker, but right now, Cowherd is looking more right than wrong.

Willis looks pretty dynamic to me. I'd take him based on a admittedly small sample size. In football guys are expected to step right in....fair or unfair. I think football is starting to project players more as the do in basketball and more specifically, baseball. If Willis was a pitcher and still hitting 100MPH in the 7th inning of his games, be it HS or college, control or not, you can bet your butt he would be drafted inside the first 5 picks of the baseball draft.

I do understand that in baseball there is a mechanism to give the guy play time without actually playing big league games, but even then they don't stay there long.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Malik Willis - 03/10/22 01:20 PM
Cowherd is something.

Does not even mention a thing about Willis's experience or lack of it.

Knows nothing about Liberty's offense.

And he would draft him five. Good thing he has never worn a GM's hat.

The only hat Cowherd wears is a asshat.
Posted By: Swish Re: Malik Willis - 03/10/22 01:22 PM
Posted By: Swish Re: Malik Willis - 03/10/22 01:40 PM
one thing with projecting a guy like this is obviously the talent level. but not just the talent he's competing against, its also the talent he's playing with.

so far i've gone through highlights and lowlights. one recurring issue is how quickly his line falls apart. that has a huge effect on any QB, and if it persist will cause the QB to not trust the pocket. he has a lot of Josh Allen/Watson/mahomes IN REGARDS to his confidence in his arm. so a lot of the times he just trust his arm too much to make a throw into any window. while thats a gift and curse, the undeniable positive is that he isn't afraid to risk it. one thing a QB can't do is be scared to throw the ball.

his presence on the field shows that he plays a lot bigger than 6'1. he's clearly athletic and built, so in a Stefanski style offense, the risk of injury is low even with him tucking and running more than normal. his biggest flaws when it comes to passing are also the easiest to correct. this is Lamar jackson with a superior arm and accuracy. competition plays a roll, but Wentz - while ok - went to a small school. so did Allen. Trey lance just got drafted 3rd overall, and he has less tape than Willis.

he instantly boost our ability to control the clock with a dominant run game. i think keeping hooper will provide him with 3 big targets to throw to at TE, making Hooper and Chief his go-to targets almost instantly. we need a big body WR for him, but we needed one anyway. and because injuries on the line always happen, he's more capable of escaping pressure and keeping plays open.

he needs time in an ideal scenario. however, because he's a dual threat, a stacked box because of him, Chubb, and D'Ernest would provide more 1 on 1 opportunities, where he as shown to be absolutely lethal exploiting those situations.
Posted By: Swish Re: Malik Willis - 03/10/22 02:04 PM
Posted By: BpG Re: Malik Willis - 03/10/22 02:15 PM
After Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson and even Carson Wentz. I think it proved that physical skillsets are more important than ever at QB. Impossible to know just how athletic this guy actually is unless you get him in your facility.

Hate it when hype guys don't/can't do the combine.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Malik Willis - 03/10/22 02:43 PM
I am not on the Malik Willis bandwagon. Freak athlete from small school with low college completion %? Wowing scouts after the season is over? Sounds a lot like Josh Allen ... and Josh Allen managed to do what (overwhelmingly) most college QB's don't do in the NFL which is become more accurate. Some of the highlights are impressive.... but I checked out his game log stats as well as watched the highlight reel stuff - they are underwhelming. I don't know how good or bad the rest of his cast around him were - but I'd pass on him. And I hope he is taken before we pick at 13 so that it gives us another option that drops to us.
Posted By: Hammer Re: Malik Willis - 03/10/22 03:22 PM
at best, he is a smaller version of Justin Fields.

as for the completion percentage/accuracy argument - I disagree. They can improve once they reach the pros.

Under 60% in college:

1. Brett Favre
2. Dan Marino
3. Russell Wilson @ NC State
4. Matt Stafford
5. Josh Allen
6. John Elway 2 seasons
7. Donovan McNabb
8. Carson Palmer
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Malik Willis - 03/10/22 03:37 PM
To be fair, Willis impressed people way before this off-season. He was always mentioned as a potential first round pick.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Malik Willis - 03/10/22 04:06 PM
There are two ingredients to the success of Willis.

Have a plan for him. And have patience with the plan.

Watch the Liberty offense. The passing scheme was simplistic. One schemed throw to make. If the guy was not open create with your legs. He was a superior athlete on the field. He could win that way. See it open. Then throw it. If not take off and get gains.

He was not asked to throw from a pocket. There was not 2 to 4 routes being run where he had find the open guy.
He did not have to worry about reading the defense while avoiding pressure.

He did not have to throw with anticipation and throw guys open. He was rarely throwing into tight windows.

The competition he faced was a long way from the SEC where you are not always the best athlete on the field.

The Plan. Bring him in behind a starter. Let him sit and learn. As you develop him you bring in players to fit the scheme you will evolve to.
Like the Ravens your scheme is built into his skills.

He is a better passer than Lamar was. But Willis still must develop pocket skills. How to move in a pocket and keep eyes on the routes.

How to begin to recognize NFL defenses. Develop chemistry with the team and receivers. Develop ball placement in a NFL route trees where you see combination routes in space. You can not always roll out and take half the field away.

Willis will learn running away from Liberty competitors is not like NFL speed.

Patience. He is going to look bad at times. He will turn it over. He will have games like Fields against the Browns. You have to keep to the plan.

For those who think he can come in a save the day. Be ready to wait for that day. It will come but it will take time.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Malik Willis - 03/10/22 04:29 PM

He was not asked to throw from a pocket. There was not 2 to 4 routes being run where he had find the open guy.
He did not have to worry about reading the defense while avoiding pressure.

He did not have to throw with anticipation and throw guys open. He was rarely throwing into tight windows.

These are the things behind Baker's biggest criticisms over the years. If what you're saying is true, why would be flush a 1st down the toilet just to sign ourselves up for the same weaknesses (except this time, it would be on a player with even less of a resume than Baker).?
Posted By: bonefish Re: Malik Willis - 03/10/22 04:36 PM
Baker was way ahead of where Willis is now.

But Willis has more upside because of what he can do with his mobility.

At the same time like I stated. He has to be developed.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Malik Willis - 03/10/22 05:22 PM

as for the completion percentage/accuracy argument - I disagree. They can improve once they reach the pros.

Under 60% in college:

1. Brett Favre
2. Dan Marino
4. Matt Stafford
5. Josh Allen
6. John Elway 2 seasons
7. Donovan McNabb
8. Carson Palmer

You picked 8 guys spanning nearly 40 years. I guess there are some others too - but that's not a large sample size. And even then I don't know that these players disprove my point?

Brett Favre NFL career - 61.9%. --- NFL career 62%
Russell Wilson final college year he was 72% --- NFL Career 65%
Elway had 2 season at 64% and 65% in college. --- NFL 56.9%
McNabb - not great, but had 2 seasons at 61.7 and 62.5% --- NFL 59% career.
Palmer final season 63.2% ---- NFL 62.5% career.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Malik Willis - 03/10/22 05:24 PM

Under 60% in college:

1. Brett Favre
2. Dan Marino
4. Matt Stafford
5. Josh Allen
6. John Elway 2 seasons
7. Donovan McNabb
8. Carson Palmer

I don’t understand how completion percentage = accuracy.
Posted By: Hammer Re: Malik Willis - 03/10/22 05:27 PM
How do you measure accuracy? Is it quantifiable? Please enlighten.
Posted By: Swish Re: Malik Willis - 03/10/22 05:36 PM
lets say stefanski's overall conservative game plan continues, who has a better chance of thriving in that system? Willis or Baker? Stefanski seems to be a control freak with the play calling, and Baker doesn't have enough say so on the field as he should.

Willis allows Stefanski to mold a QB from scratch. Stefanski already doesn't trust Baker, and it's not like we don't see teams draft a QB in the 1st round somewhat regularly even if there's an OK starter on the team.

i think Baker is still the undisputed starter week 1 even if we draft Willis at #13. there's so many different ways it could ignite Baker and this team in a positive way. and if he self destructs, it proves he wasn't the guy. i dont think we should trade up for him, but if Berry decided to move up a couple spots, that's fine. let's be real, Baker hasn't proved he can be the franchise QB. since that's an unknown, it makes since to draft a QB in the 1st round because at least the unknown has a higher ceiling.

i really wanted a WR or DT at 13. but if Berry decides that Willis is worth the cost, i'll be excited too. Baker can be a good QB, but for whatever reason, i don't see him and Stefanski being a natural fit.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Malik Willis - 03/10/22 05:39 PM

You don't understand why people use completion % as a way to correlate a QB's accuracy? Or you want to try and split hairs about the only meaningful data that is available because it is not perfect? And given some of those QB's listed and the correlation between College completion % and NFL completion ... what would you suggest we use as a metric for accuracy in light of the fact none of us will have watched every throw a QB has made.
Posted By: FATE Re: Malik Willis - 03/10/22 05:54 PM

This is helpful... click the top of category OnTgt%... under the Accuracy tab.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/passing_advanced.htm
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Malik Willis - 03/10/22 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by FATE

This is helpful... click the top of category OnTgt%... under the Accuracy tab.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/passing_advanced.htm

That’s one way.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Malik Willis - 03/10/22 06:13 PM
Some names pop up in some surprising spots (Garrapolo, Goff, Tua... and then Lamar, Allen, TB12)
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Malik Willis - 03/10/22 06:15 PM

You don't understand why people use completion % as a way to correlate a QB's accuracy? Or you want to try and split hairs about the only meaningful data that is available because it is not perfect? And given some of those QB's listed and the correlation between College completion % and NFL completion ... what would you suggest we use as a metric for accuracy in light of the fact none of us will have watched every throw a QB has made.

I understand why people use it. I also know a lot of completion percentage is related to what offense you are running in college. Of course a screen heavy offense is going to produce high completion percentages. Does it tell us much about the QB? Not really.

As far as metrics we can use today as people who can’t watch every throw? The easiest answer is to read/watch people who have watched every throw. PFF (which costs money) and Pro Football Reference have stats charted from people who watch every game. Completion percentage over expected (CPOE) is a big one people use nowadays.

If completion percentage is an accurate representation of accuracy then we have a lot to worry about with Baker Mayfield as his as cratered in the NFL.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Malik Willis - 03/10/22 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by oobernoober
Some names pop up in some surprising spots (Garrapolo, Goff, Tua... and then Lamar, Allen, TB12)

Those names make sense. Garoppolo, Goff, and Tua have a ton of schemed open receivers that are easy reads and easy throws. The other guys are good.
Posted By: FATE Re: Malik Willis - 03/10/22 07:09 PM

Those names make sense. Garoppolo, Goff, and Tua have a ton of schemed open receivers that are easy reads and easy throws. The other guys are good.

The other guys are 28th, 24th and 23rd. Something doesn't make sense.
Posted By: FATE Re: Malik Willis - 03/10/22 07:14 PM
Also, to add to your point of "scheme", the fact that Jimmy G also leads the league in YAC per completion speaks volumes for engineering an offense around his strengths... on time on target. Too bad he makes so many stupid mistakes when it matters the most.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Malik Willis - 03/10/22 07:18 PM

The other guys are 28th, 24th and 23rd. Something doesn't make sense.

I read his post wrong that’s my bad.

Allen and Brady threw down field quite a bit last year.
Posted By: FATE Re: Malik Willis - 03/10/22 07:22 PM
Yep. Brady and Allen are #1 and 2 in Intended Air Yards... Brady approaching 6000.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Malik Willis - 03/10/22 07:24 PM
Yep. Brady and Allen are #1 and 2 in Intended Air Yards... Brady approaching 6000.

Look at me making factual statements without looking at the actual stats!
Posted By: FATE Re: Malik Willis - 03/10/22 07:48 PM
So, while we're riffing... If we look at Intended Air Yards Per Attempt, we see Baker Mayfield at #5... ahead of Brady and Allen.

So, is that because he doesn't see "schemed open receivers that are easy reads and easy throws" or because we don't "scheme" that well enough? Both?
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Malik Willis - 03/10/22 08:07 PM
So, is that because he doesn't see "schemed open receivers that are easy reads and easy throws" or because we don't "scheme" that well enough? Both?

You tell me. poke tongue (this was a sack)

Also, I believe cfrs had posted the stat before about how the Browns had the second most plays with 3 open WRs.

I also remember Baker throwing into double or triple coverage to DPJ resulting in an INT against the Packers when Higgins was coming across underneath for what would've been a ~35 yard gain.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Malik Willis - 03/10/22 10:18 PM
To me, he's Lamar Jackson, but less elusive and takes a ton more big hits. I'm not sure Lamar Jackson works if those two things were the case.

Willis could work out great. Or he could go the way of Jake Locker/RGIII.

I almost want to say he kind of reminds me of Josh McCown. Has talent, but inconsistent. Tries to do too much and gets obliterated fairly frequently. Nice guy. Guy you want on your team, but probably can't actually rely on to be "The Guy" on your team.

I don't think he'd work well here. With all the hype and where we'd likely have to take him if he even lasts that long, this fan base probably wouldn't be patient enough to wait until he's ready. I'm not sure I'd want factions forming in the locker room and fans clamoring for the backup.

He could be good, but he'll probably not end up in the best situation.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Malik Willis - 03/11/22 11:13 AM
Is this the "double or triple coverage" you were talking about? Because that was a perfect throw that likely would have ended up winning the game for us. 4th Q comeback even.

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Malik Willis - 03/11/22 02:57 PM
That is not the throw.
Posted By: eotab Re: Malik Willis - 03/11/22 03:05 PM
Hammer the game has changed in a small period of time making it almost impossible to compare via completion %

jmho
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Malik Willis - 03/16/22 03:28 AM
👀
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Malik Willis - 03/17/22 05:54 PM
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Malik Willis - 03/17/22 06:22 PM
The odds that he's in play for the Browns just got a lot higher over the past 24 hours.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Malik Willis - 03/17/22 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
The odds that he's in play for the Browns just got a lot higher over the past 2 hours.

FIFY

What a disaster.
Posted By: Hammer Re: Malik Willis - 03/17/22 08:19 PM
Agree - all in for Willis, now.
Posted By: Jester Re: Malik Willis - 03/17/22 08:24 PM
Disagree, I think we would need to completely revamp our offense for Willis to succeed here and I don't think Stefanski would be willing to do it.

I would much rather go with a stop gap veteran for a year then draft our future in next year's draft which is going to have a lot of talent and depth than to force a pick at Qb that will likely fail.

JMO
Posted By: Hammer Re: Malik Willis - 03/17/22 08:38 PM
Revamp - nah. He's athletic and can make plays off platform.

I think he could thrive in KS's offense. Just needs time to develop, IMO.
Posted By: Swish Re: Malik Willis - 03/17/22 08:47 PM
If I’m Willis I’m pulling an Eli manning if we draft him.
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: Malik Willis - 03/17/22 08:57 PM

This can’t be correct. I don’t see the Punt God on here.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Malik Willis - 03/17/22 09:31 PM
Willis is not going number one to any team.

He is not ready to be a starting quarterback in the NFL.

If we drafted him we better have Matt Ryan already on the team.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Malik Willis - 03/17/22 09:37 PM
Just remember, some people are in a panic around here.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Malik Willis - 03/17/22 09:39 PM
If I’m Willis I’m pulling an Eli manning if we draft him.

Why? And it helped to have the name Manning. I might not even want the guy, but he doesn't have any leverage to do that.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Malik Willis - 03/18/22 12:07 AM
Willis plays like a less accurate, shorter Carson Wentz to me.

Yes, he can scramble and make some highlight plays. I'm not convinced he can consistently make the scripted play.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Malik Willis - 03/18/22 02:49 AM
There’s not a qb in this draft that’s going to be a starter caliber I don’t think. Next year will be better
Posted By: Razorthorns Re: Malik Willis - 03/18/22 03:24 AM
The QB situation this year just sucks. Sigh.
Posted By: Hammer Re: Malik Willis - 03/18/22 04:41 AM
Disagree - Desmond Ridder has starter upside.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Malik Willis - 03/18/22 12:42 PM
I have been saying since I watched his tape that Ridder is a good prospect.

I don' think rookies are in most cases ready to start. Ridder will still need time to figure the NFL out.

However, he was doing more as a quarterback than Willis was at Liberty. He was a senior with 44 wins.

He played from the pocket. He is very athletic. Combine numbers proved that. He is also a mature leader.

He is mobile but keeps his eyes downfield. He has a good arm. He plays smart.

I like him better than all the rest in this class. However, I recognize the upside of Willis.

I would play the draft game. And maybe come back late in the first or be prepared to move up in the second for Ridder.

Posted By: oobernoober Re: Malik Willis - 03/18/22 01:11 PM
Still doesn't lessen our need for a vet. If Baker can't get beyond his temper tantrum, we still have a move to make in FA for a vet QB.
Posted By: Hammer Re: Malik Willis - 03/18/22 01:50 PM
I believe Case Keenum will be the QB to start next year and they will draft a QB - Ridder, Willis, Pickett, Corral.

It's why he still is with the team - This is Plan C.

Plan A - Trade for Watson, jettison Baker.
Plan B - Appease Baker somehow after failed Plan A.
Plan C - Trade Baker, promote Keenum, draft a QB.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Malik Willis - 03/18/22 02:14 PM
Matt Ryan would be a good bridge. They could sign him with a two year deal. He would be fine in this system.

Then they could draft a qb this year or next and get him ready to replace Ryan.

IMO that is the best solution to what could be available if Watson goes to Atlanta.

I believe we could then trade Baker for a second or third. Ryan we could get for a second and maybe a player.

If Watson goes to the Saints. Jameis and Jimmy G are less desirable options.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Malik Willis - 03/18/22 02:41 PM
Unless there is a guy that KS particularly likes in this draft (I think our system is such that it lessens the need for a top-tier QB that can do it all), I think we wait a year to draft the guy we really want.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Malik Willis - 03/18/22 02:42 PM
If Keenum is our starter week one then we should probably think about rooting for a different team.
Posted By: Hammer Re: Malik Willis - 03/18/22 02:43 PM
If Watson goes to ATL, Ryan will get traded to Indy not Cleveland and I guarantee you that would be Ryan's preferred choice to play over Cleveland.

If Watson goes to NO, then Ryan will not be available. Mayfield could potentially be traded to Indy, but so could Jimmy G.

I see only 2 outs for Baker - Indy or Seattle and the former can only happen if Watson picks NO.
Posted By: Hammer Re: Malik Willis - 03/18/22 02:47 PM
Unfortunately, I believe it can only be:

1. Jimmy G.
2. Case K.
3. Marcus M.
4. Rookie
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Malik Willis - 03/18/22 02:51 PM
If Watson goes to ATL, Ryan will get traded to Indy not Cleveland and I guarantee you that would be Ryan's preferred choice to play over Cleveland.

If Watson goes to NO, then Ryan will not be available. Mayfield could potentially be traded to Indy, but so could Jimmy G.

I see only 2 outs for Baker - Indy or Seattle and the former can only happen if Watson picks NO.

I think Carolina could also be in play. I don't think their owner is willing to go into another season with Darnold or PJ Walker as his starting QB.
Posted By: cle23 Re: Malik Willis - 03/18/22 03:18 PM

You keep saying that Indy is Ryan's preferred choice based on what? The dome? I'm sure it's a factor, but nit guaranteed. Also, Ryan does NOT have a no trade clause as people keep saying, so Atlanta can trade him wherever they want, though I assume they'd be somewhat respectful of his preference.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Malik Willis - 03/18/22 03:21 PM
Ryan has a no trade clause. However, we have a good place for him to land. He knows the system. We have a good OL and running backs. We just signed Cooper. We will add more receivers. We have a good defense. He has two years to win a Super Bowl and the Browns might be his best bet.

So that is up to the Falcons and Ryan and what they feel is the best deal.

Seattle could inquire and make an offer.

SF will trade Jimmy G. He is an option.

Jameis is a free agent so he controls his situation.

If Watson goes to Atlanta. I would secure Ryan and trade Baker for the best deal I can make.

Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Malik Willis - 03/18/22 03:53 PM
If Baker can't get beyond his temper tantrum

That's the first time I've ever heard it called that when a man treats someone else the way he's been treated. Maybe it's time we look at who created the situation instead of the one who treats them in kind. Nah, we can't do that, right?
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Malik Willis - 03/18/22 05:05 PM
It was a tantrum. That letter looked like something a 8th grader would write.

I have supported Baker since before he was drafted, but this last several months makes him look like a punk.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Malik Willis - 03/18/22 05:21 PM
Baker hasn't shown enough to subvert the FO's MO of improving every position it can. I'm not going to get back into Watson's sex-creep-issues, as those have no bearing on Baker's response to the team looking to improve the QB position when possible. So him posting a goodbye letter before he's gone was out of the norm in terms of pro quarterbacks being replaced.
Posted By: Jester Re: Malik Willis - 03/18/22 05:41 PM
I believe Case Keenum will be the QB to start next year and they will draft a QB - Ridder, Willis, Pickett, Corral.

It's why he still is with the team - This is Plan C.

Plan A - Trade for Watson, jettison Baker.
Plan B - Appease Baker somehow after failed Plan A.
Plan C - Trade Baker, promote Keenum, draft a QB.

They preferred to send Baker onto the field last season in a body cast with crutches rather than play Keenum, so I find it hard to believe that going with Keenum is anything more than plan Z
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Malik Willis - 03/18/22 07:59 PM
Baker hasn't shown enough to subvert the FO's MO of improving every position it can. I'm not going to get back into Watson's sex-creep-issues, as those have no bearing on Baker's response to the team looking to improve the QB position when possible. So him posting a goodbye letter before he's gone was out of the norm in terms of pro quarterbacks being replaced.

Hell, in Atlanta Ryan reworked the contract to free up some money knowing Atlanta was going to be in the Watson hunt.

That is class. Not pitching a fit and stomping around.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Malik Willis - 03/18/22 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

Hell, in Atlanta Ryan reworked the contract to free up some money knowing Atlanta was going to be in the Watson hunt.

His career is also darn near over. He might have a year or 2 left, but that's about it.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Malik Willis - 03/18/22 09:32 PM
I don't know. Maybe a reason he might not have.
Posted By: Swish Re: Malik Willis - 03/18/22 09:50 PM
won't have to worry about drafting this guy now
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Malik Willis - 03/18/22 10:27 PM

Or anyone else in the first round.

This year or next.

Or the year after that either.
Posted By: Swish Re: Malik Willis - 03/18/22 10:40 PM

This year or next.

good, cause they'll be in the high 20's anyway. screw those picks
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Malik Willis - 03/19/22 01:32 AM
Don’t think we’ll be drafting a QB this year
Posted By: FATE Re: Malik Willis - 03/19/22 02:43 AM
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
Do you think Watson would lose his marbles if we did? lmao
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Malik Willis - 03/19/22 05:08 AM
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
Do you think Watson would lose his marbles if we did? lmao

He'll be too busy counting his money to buy a gazillion marbles.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Malik Willis - 03/19/22 10:49 AM

This year or next.

good, cause they'll be in the high 20's anyway. screw those picks

I wouldn't say screw those picks, but I am not all that worried about it.

Watson is this years 1st rounder, we just picked a month early.

After that, it is 2 1st rounder as the premium. We also lose one of our 2 third rounders next year. It would be nice to have, but we aren't down beyond normal. In the 3rd year we lose the 1st, not meaningless, but the improvement at QB should mitigate that, and we swap our 4th for a 5th...no big deal there.

Yes we lose a few prime picks, but we also pick up a prime QB. We know we have that. We don't have to hope our QB is good enough.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Malik Willis - 03/19/22 06:04 PM
It was a tantrum. That letter looked like something a 8th grader would write.

I have supported Baker since before he was drafted, but this last several months makes him look like a punk.

Yet it turned out Baker was 100% correct.

On the other hand, we just traded for QB who actually threw a tantrum and refused to play because he wasn't allowed to hand pick his HC and you haven't uttered a peep about it.

You're hilarious.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Malik Willis - 03/20/22 01:46 PM
It doesn't matter. We have a new QB.. A top of the charts QB.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Malik Willis - 03/20/22 05:31 PM
It doesn't matter. We have a new QB.. A top of the charts QB.

Agreed we won't be drafting a QB ...
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Malik Willis - 03/21/22 02:13 PM

Ryan also allowed the date for his roster bonus to be pushed back until after Watson decided on a team. He did not have to do that either.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Malik Willis - 03/21/22 02:34 PM
I didn't know that. At any rate, Ryan showed how to act like class and baker showed how to act like a fool.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Malik Willis - 03/21/22 03:16 PM
I didn't know that. At any rate, Ryan showed how to act like class and baker showed how to act like a fool.

https://sportsnaut.com/atlanta-falcons-delay-matt-ryan-bonus-watson/
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Malik Willis - 03/21/22 03:56 PM

You mean like your current QB who they just paid 230 mil. for? You know, refusing to play because he didn't get to hand pick his HC? And all we get from you about that are crickets. If you think Baker acted like a fool, by that same logic you should think watson is a total idiot. If you had Ryan as your QB you would be making a point. But by your standards they traded one punk for another one. And the new punk has one helluva lot more baggage that will be hanging over this team for a very long time. Congratulations on your new punk.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Malik Willis - 03/21/22 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by CapCity Dawg

Ryan also allowed the date for his roster bonus to be pushed back until after Watson decided on a team. He did not have to do that either.

It was a no-brainer move for him.
If he doesn't, he'd have gotten released and had no shot at that bonus. If he plays ball and allows the push to happen, he still has a chance to get it.
Don't kid yourself, it wasn't some massively unselfish and magnanimous act; it made sense for himself and his best interests to do so.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Malik Willis - 03/22/22 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
Originally Posted by CapCity Dawg

It was a no-brainer move for him.
If he doesn't, he'd have gotten released and had no shot at that bonus. If he plays ball and allows the push to happen, he still has a chance to get it.
Don't kid yourself, it wasn't some massively unselfish and magnanimous act; it made sense for himself and his best interests to do so.

He could have been petty and forced the Falcons to decide whether or not to release him without knowing if they were going to get Watson or not. Ryan has played long enough where that bonus was not going to make him or break him financially. And if released there was no way he does not get picked up by someone else. Yes, it made sense for him, but he could have stuck to the team who was looking to upgrade his position as well.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Malik Willis - 03/22/22 01:51 PM
So what you're saying is that he engaged his brain vs his emotions, and didn't let his texting thumbs run wild because he got his feelings hurt?
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Malik Willis - 03/22/22 02:54 PM
Yes, I'm saying that he had additional self-benefitting incentive to not take any other course of action. He also was likely strongly advised by his agent to do so.

And for the rest of it.... why is everyone so emotional over Baker showing some emotion? He spoke his mind, and no part of it was tantrum-esque. It was a decently stated piece written by someone that already knew the writing on the wall. Are y'all just upset because he did it himself prior to getting traded and didn't have a publicist put out a form letter after being shipped out?
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Malik Willis - 03/22/22 03:02 PM
For myself, my emotion is limited to my disappointment over Baker no longer being a Brown. I thought he'd return to form and 2021 would end up being nothing but a distant memory (just like 2020 is right now). I also think many (led by the likes of Colin Cowherd) are getting their extra shots in right now.

He's definitely entitled to his emotions, but it's not hard to see good and bad examples of how to conduct yourself in this situation (everyone else and then Baker). He created a whole bunch of extra drama during all this that was totally unnecessary. Turns out it ended up backfiring on him (but also the FO trying to trade him).
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Malik Willis - 03/22/22 03:29 PM
Actually, I don't think it backfired on him, at all. He knew he was done, one way or the other. The reports were out that the Browns were done with him whether they got Watson or not; so, what was there to backfire?
All that happened was that he acknowledged the situation, that he didn't know where he was going, but he gave his all when he was here. I don't see that as a tantrum at all. It's simply talking to the fans and and letting it ride.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Malik Willis - 03/22/22 03:40 PM
How people can't see how accurate what you have posted really is I find beyond me. They are looking for a bad guy in Baker when it's not there.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Malik Willis - 03/22/22 09:18 PM
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Malik Willis - 03/22/22 09:37 PM
As we get closer to the draft the higher these "Experts" will push these QB's up the draft board until they are drafted way to high ...
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Malik Willis - 03/22/22 10:00 PM
Posted By: bonefish Re: Malik Willis - 03/24/22 09:12 PM
I will follow the careers of Malik Willis and Desmond Ridder.

Willis is right from where I live and I like Ridder.

I am curious about how they will do.

I have always preferred mobile quarterbacks. Ridder is fast and mobile but he plays from the pocket as well. Willis has great speed and is great threat running the ball.

When you are third and long a quarterback who can run really adds another dimension. They dishearten defenses because you have to drop and cover and that opens up run lanes for quarterbacks that can run.

It does expose them to more injury but smart players like Wilson duck and cover. I think both these guys will do well.

© DawgTalkers.net