DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Milk Man Postgame Thoughts - 09/24/23 08:15 PM
- The fans, the city, the players and the coaches needed this win. It was becoming a powder keg.

- Cautiously optimistic on Watson. He and Stefanski needed this game. Continue building the confidence. Watson through some beautiful balls today.

- Myles Garrett had an absolute monster game.

- I cannot say enough about this defense. Schwartz has these guys playing out of their minds.

- Alex Wright had a nice game.

- Ward is having a great year.

- Cooper and Watson are developing great chemistry.

- Dusty Hopkins has been great.

- Bojorquez punted well.

- Browns must build off this and beat a very beatable Baltimore team next week.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/24/23 08:16 PM
This was great.

Posted By: TooTall Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/24/23 08:21 PM
This is the type of performance needed in the NFL. Every player showed up focused and intense on the job. The bench was ready to contribute at any given moment; their heads were in the game.

D Line - was stifling.
Line backers were quick to smother and great tackling
Corners were good - Emerson needs to play it a bit better.

Offense looked organized and executed well.
RB by committed netted about 170 yards.
Cooper is looking so much better - he and D-Wat are starting to click.
Ford doing very well today in #24's absence.

As dark as last week felt, today the sun broke through the clouds.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/24/23 08:21 PM
probably the most complete win I've seen in a long time, even without our normal running attack they had no answer for coop
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/24/23 08:25 PM
I was impressed by how much our offense improved in a weeks time.
Posted By: Swish Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/24/23 08:26 PM
Dominated in all aspects!

DW finally had a great game. Other than the one WTH backwards pass, he was on target and reading the field better.

Defense….smh, I swear our D has Schwartz feeling like he’s Darth Vader or something. Straight villain smirk on his face the entire game. And I don’t blame him, cause the way our defense is playing, they might get charged with terrorism.
Posted By: TooTall Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/24/23 08:30 PM
OMG - INDY WINS IN OT!!!! YESSSSSS!

And the Browns looked great today (just to stay on topic).
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/24/23 08:36 PM
Hopefully their carry this to next week and put those demons to bed. A win next week would do alot for confidence (and put us in first)
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/24/23 08:38 PM
Ditto.

I'll add -

Schwartz and Hopkins for president.

Now stack them. Two seasons ago we were 3-1 and missed the playoffs. Start stacking wins. This win means nothing if you don't make the playoffs.

Playing for first place next week at home. It's time for a signature win.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/24/23 08:48 PM
Yesterday I read Zay Flowers had sixteen catches all other balt Wr had sixteen, or one less
today Zay Flower had 8 catches.
so stopping him next week will be a key.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/24/23 08:54 PM
This was an excellent win and much needed after Monday night's disaster. DW looked great and I hope he now has turned the corner. Great, great effort in all phases of the game!!!
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/24/23 08:56 PM
Yeah man, what you said. I can’t think of one thing to complain about. The smothering ass-kicking D, Watson was throwing darts and making quick decisions, receivers caught the damn ball, Ford and Kareem didn’t run for a lot of yards but each made a few key plays.
Our kicker, like, kicks them right down the middle, 19 times out of 20.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/24/23 08:57 PM
Good win.

This defense is the real Schwartz. Incredible performance all across the defense. I will go into detail sometime later.

So many cool things went down defensively.

DW picked up his game (minus the bonehead play). He was in control for the most part and accurate.

My one gripe is Moore is 5'10" 180 lbs. Forget the plays with him in the backfield as a runner. He is not a running back.

Put him in the slot or y. Get him on Landry type routes. Do not run him from the backfield. Put him in motion. Give him routes where he can separate.

Through the first three games the defense has been so good. I can hardly believe they play for us. I don't see a weakness anywhere.

They put Myles and Ogbo on the same side and Z on the other. No chance. They set a pic on the inside and Wright is in the backfield up the middle. No chance.

At some point you begin looking for the white flag of surrender.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/24/23 08:58 PM
I didn't see the game. How did our O-line do particularly Wills?
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/24/23 09:00 PM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/24/23 09:02 PM
we needed this game badly ... not just a win, but also the whole performance. Great defense, improved offense, balanced attack.

Titans basically gave up in the 3rd quarter
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/24/23 09:07 PM
The defense was impressive.

Ultimately the Browns offense wore out the Titans defense.

That Garrett sack just before the half was the changing point of the game. Took point off the board.

Aside from the Moore fumble in Cleveland territory, the Titans were stifled. Would have been a shutout otherwise…
Posted By: JimDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/24/23 09:10 PM
Our D only allowed 94 total yards!

We are looking like the 85 Bears on D!

Watson looked like the $230 million QB minus that bonehead backwards pass.

The run game worries me. Tennessee had it's way with our running backs.

We have to beat the Rats next week!

Go Browns!
Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/24/23 09:21 PM
Loved the game. Great all around performance. Of topic a bit, has anyone else looked at scores from today. I think the NFL is drunk.
Posted By: Swish Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/24/23 09:23 PM
We have to realize that a lot of Moore’s touches are glorified run plays. Meant to get some yards and keep the clock moving.
Posted By: The Big G Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/24/23 09:28 PM
Watson played well, aside from that inexplicable pitch/fumble thing. With this defense, we have time to figure things out on offense. Alex Wright looked good, which was a bit of a surprise. And we played without Newsome. A lot to like!
Posted By: DaveyD Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/24/23 09:29 PM
Defense looked elite. The players on Defense that were picked up were outstanding. JOK is playing really well. It is incredibly evident that Woods and his schemes held the Defense back. Night and day difference from the last few years.

Watson looked much better amd had a great game. Still holds onto the ball too long and /or gets happy feet. Hopefully will continue to improve.

Stefanski called a much better game but we still need more quick hitting slants and draws to keep the pressure off the o-Line and Watson. We need to get Njoku way more involved in the passing game. Scrap Moore coming out of the backfield except for Jet sweeps.

Dustin Hopkins has been money. His kicks are high and go end over like they should.

I absolutely love the way the Defense is playing and the fun they are having in doing so.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/24/23 09:31 PM
Sure but there were a couple run plays today when he was a bit slow in decision-making, just a fraction but that’s all it takes. He can catch the call and has good feet
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/24/23 09:34 PM
Nice post. I agree about Njoku, he can be a weapon when we get him more involved.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/24/23 09:36 PM
I agree. I feel that next week's game is a gut check for us and a trap game for the Ratburdz. We need to pound out a win. Good win today; better win next week!
Posted By: The Big G Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/24/23 09:44 PM
Hopkins was a great addition. There is never going to be a kicker just out of college who will be better than one of these 30-year-old dudes who has bounced around while working on his craft. It is the one position where someone you’d think of as a “journeyman” is exact what you want.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/24/23 09:56 PM
This is the first legit defense since the return and the best since '94.

We have a chance every week just because of the defense. Love it.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/24/23 09:58 PM
j/c:

Remember when Watson through that TD pass to Ford and the CBS graphic showed Takitaki's name and face for the TD?
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/24/23 09:59 PM
lol I saw it also
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/24/23 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
j/c:

Remember when Watson through that TD pass to Ford and the CBS graphic showed Takitaki's name and face for the TD?

They did that.

They also showed a graphic that Cooper hadn't caught a td pass since September of last year and that the Browns lost in the wild card round a few years ago.

Pretty crappy production minus Spero and Adam who were pretty good.
Posted By: DaveyD Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/24/23 10:05 PM
Just a small suggestion to Stefanski. If the game is won and you put your backup QB in, please put your backup O-Linemen in too. No need for freak injuries.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/24/23 10:05 PM
- We arguably have the best D in the NFL.

- Great bounce back game for Watson. I liked how Stefanski called plays again this week. Knowing Watson was probably a little rattled, you saw short and intermediate thrown early on and that led to some confidence and deeper throws in the second half. He should have had a 300+ yard passing day if not for that garbage call on that Cooper catch. 27 of 33.....nice.

- JOK showed up a ton has seemed to be a big player in shutting down Henry.

- OL played much better than last game in pass pro and run blocking. Tennessees OL was terrible....kinda felt bad for Tannehill as he had zero time to throw all day.

- Pretty even distribution of yards in the running back corp. I expect to see more of that but Ford held his own and Hunt made some conversions.

- Sorry to the posters on here that were hoping for Watson to play poorly. Hope your week isn't ruined too much.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/24/23 10:09 PM
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/24/23 10:10 PM
Forgot one thing...I think Garrett was held on every single sack with no calls.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/24/23 10:17 PM
They don’t want him wrecking a game
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/24/23 10:23 PM
Another guy who played well: Ford ran for a TD and the celebration was low-key.
Chubb influence. He had two TDs today, in case you people hadn’t noticed. 😎
Posted By: The Collector Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/24/23 10:32 PM
This defense is going to keep this team in games all season long. Teams have a hard time playing against a very vanilla defense. Easily the most impressive defensive line I've ever seen in browns unis. Imagine if the Offense figures it out.

I don't think LaMar is going to be able to run away from the front 4 as well as he had in the past.
Posted By: Swish Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/24/23 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by lampdogg
Another guy who played well: Ford ran for a TD and the celebration was low-key.
Chubb influence. He had two TDs today, in case you people hadn’t noticed. 😎

Yea Ford is really getting putting in that work. Even though the Titans sold to stop the run, we still got valuable yards on the ground, and Ford is starting to look faster and more confident in his game speed and agility.
Posted By: DaveyD Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/24/23 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by Rishuz

Every play, every game.
Posted By: BADdog Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/24/23 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by lampdogg
I can’t think of one thing to complain about.
How about the catch for a TD the zebras blew dead?
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/24/23 11:11 PM
Great game. Complete game.
I don't know if the Titans D was just incompetent or if our O was so good there was nothing they could do. Either way, Our O looked like they are supposed to look. Watson kinda looked like a $230 Million QB

Our D is Legit.. No way around it. They are for real!

What the hell was that backward pass by Watson.. .Geez...

And the Ref, standing right there next to Cooper when he hauled that pass in and ran up the sideline. Could he not tell that Cooper didn't go out of bounds?

For not being with the team for 5 or 6 months, Hunt sure looked like himself.

All in all, this was a great win. Good job
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/24/23 11:34 PM
I also say that you could subtly tell that we were missing Newsome. We were one CB short of full strength ... hopefully he's back
Posted By: FATE Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 12:38 AM
j/c:

I feel like I mist the play, but not the intent of your post. 🤣
Posted By: FATE Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 12:39 AM
Originally Posted by GratefulDawg

Defense has only given up 18 points through three games!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 01:13 AM
we have two big tests the next two games ... BAL and SF. Then a trip to Indy and Seattle, which are decent offensive teams at home. Big upcoming schedule
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 01:29 AM
j/c...

Great article and breakdown by Jake Burns on Ford's TD reception...

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland...-ford-touchdown-catch-216856323/#2251973
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 01:38 AM
love that stuff
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 02:07 AM

I saw on holding call on him.

None the less, a good game.

The O looked like it had some life and the D played great.

The cautionary note is Tennessee isn't very good this year. Basically they have DT Jeffery Simmons on D and Derrick Henry on O. Simmons caused some problems. Henry was bottled up for the most part. I think he broke 1 run for about 20 yards. That isn't bad against that guy, but his line isn't very good.

It was exciting at the stadium. The crowd was in to the game and the team did what it was supposed to do.

Watson played a good game. Some may say wait and see, and I get it, but credit due where deserved.

Big game next week, especially after the Ravens loss.
Posted By: DaveyD Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 02:13 AM
24th of September, Browns win by 24 for Number 24, Chubb
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 02:17 AM
Originally Posted by DaveyD

I don't think that was the plan, but interesting none the less.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 02:18 AM
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Henry was bottled up for the most part. I think he broke 1 run for about 20 yards. That isn't bad against that guy, but his line isn't very good.

Henry had a long run of 9 yards today. Finished today with 11 carries for 20 yards.

That Browns defense had to be a lot of fun to watch in person today. thumbsup
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 02:22 AM

Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 02:27 AM
- We arguably have the best D in the NFL.
We have given up 32 points. 20 of those either our D wasn't even on the field or they scored without giving up a first down.

Our defense is responsible for giving up 12 points in 3 games.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 02:32 AM
Originally Posted by Milk Man
Henry was bottled up for the most part. I think he broke 1 run for about 20 yards. That isn't bad against that guy, but his line isn't very good.

Henry had a long run of 9 yards today. Finished today with 11 carries for 20 yards.

That Browns defense had to be a lot of fun to watch in person today. thumbsup

Cool. I wasn't looking at the stats. Just game recollection, and when in person you don't always get the correct player or excact yardage.

No matter, it was an impressive performance.
Posted By: DaveyD Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 04:42 AM
Our Defense has beaten 2 of 3 teams into submission so bad that one Team's backup QB was playing in the 4th quarter.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 04:55 AM
Cheers: Love Wyatt Teller's reaction when discussing the defense's performance.

Jeers: JDubs bringing his rugrats into the locker room for the postgame celebration.

Posted By: DaveyD Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 04:57 AM

I don't think that was the plan, but interesting none the less.

It wasn't the plan but it definitely was the final result.
Posted By: BrownMoose Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 05:28 AM
Weird first 3 games.
Losing Nick is devastating, and for the first time I feel for the player more than the season, as a fan.
It's the Browns. And Browns gonna brown. But for now, damn.
Can't believe the D and I kinda knew Watson had this kinda performance in him.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 08:14 AM
Our Defense has beaten 2 of 3 teams into submission so bad that one Team's backup QB was playing in the 4th quarter.

...and today, OUR backup QB finished the game for the home team.

I said to My Wife: "Honey- look at the stands. When we watch a Browns home game that looks this empty in the 4th qtr, the score is usually reversed."

Clemdawg's 3 & out:

1. Watson is still most comfortable when he runs the O from the shotgun. He needs to see the play develop at the snap. His reads and anticipation are much better when he doesn't turn his back to the field of play. Play-action will only work if he's playing with the lead, and the oppo D has been softened with the quick-hit short passing game.

2. Schwartz's D: you can't run on us, you can't pass on us, and you can't score points on us. (I told Dawgs pre-season that this D would be fun to watch.)

JJ Watt
@JJWatt
Browns defense with a dominant day.

Holding an NFL team to 94 total yards of offense is incredible.

Jim Schwartz has those boys hummin’.
Myles with 3.5.

Very impressive performance from the Cleveland defense.
4:07 PM · Sep 24, 2023
·
Views

3. This team can win any/every game on its schedule this year. Yes, even without Nick Chubb. Fans should expect/demand it. And more importantly, this team should expect/demand it of themselves- and play like it. They are 1-1 within the division, with a chance to go 2-1 next week, v. BAL. They are now 1-0 v. Every one knew that this first qtr of the season was going to be a gauntlet slapped across CLE's face. We all knew that CLE's future hung upon how well they weathered this early schedule. These Dawgs actually have a chance to set the AFCN power dynamics with a win v. BAL. Elves are >.500 after 3 games, and exactly .500 in the division. A win over BAL would be huge, going forward.

Elves can establish themselves as True Contenders, but they must do it every single week. No weeks are more important than divisional weeks.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 08:58 AM
Great and fun game to watch - probably the most complete win I can remember.

The team was coached well on both sides of the ball and executed.
QB play was stellar.
Running game without Chubb was working against a good D - even if it took a little while to get going.
I said week 1 that Ford impressed me with some of the things he did - he might not be the work horse and I might not want to give him 25 touches a game but he's good enough. Probably better than that. Hunt showed some of that drive and fight. I think we can run with that pair for the season. Strong was decent as well.
Cooper is a consumate WR - I love watching him. He is the WR version of Nich Chubb: Shows up every game, has a phenominal work ethic, great at his craft and no ego.
Moore is a play maker and I understnad getting him touches - I think against lesser defenses he's going to break out in a game soon.

There's not much to say about the defense and about Schwarz. Depphit is playing the best of his career. JOK also. MG with a monster game. Smith is a force the inside guys also. It's a joy to watch. It highlights the difference coaching and scheme makes. Clearly everyone is on the same page - no-one is talking about who is communicating with the sidelines - they are having fun and they are exceptional. From a tweet I saw - thru 3 games: 3.2 yards a play. Best since 2000. Forcing 3 and out on 61.5% of drives - again best in the NFL since 2000 thru 3 games. I hope they stay healthy. I hope we keep Schwartz...... What's a Derick Henry?? Just Wow.

On to Baltimore - lets see what Lamar can do. A completely different offense to deal with than TN. Let's see Stefanski continue to call good games and Watson continue to execute. As Brown's fans we deserve to see something special, if this actally continues, this might be it.
Posted By: Rottweiller Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 10:24 AM
It is still very early and other teams will begin to study our game film, However our Defense so far this year is year is the most impressive / dangerous as I personally have seen in decades. Through 3 games against very sound football teams, I have seen our defense completely confuse and force opposing offenses to adjust on the fly which has not fared well for them. Burrow, Pickett and Tannehill were hit and pressured early and often which changed the trajectory of the game. Great job Jim Schwartz.
I am still not a fan of Stefanski play calling, but We were pretty good against a rock solid Tennessee D.
Waiting to see David Nojoku beak out.
Wondering if a swapping Jones to Left Tackle and Wills to Right Tackle is in the planning for bye week adjustment. Wills still doesn’t look comfortable and is a tick slow in pass pro. RT is his natural fit, just don’t know if Jones would be comfortable at LT .
We still need to find a legit punt returner, DPJ is Not the answer. With our defense playing this well, we need to get legit yardage on punt returns, special teams matter and we are leaving a LOT of field position yardage out there because we ain’t really doing anything there.
Go Browns
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by FATE
j/c:

I feel like I mist the play, but not the intent of your post. 🤣

OMG.... Haha.

Threw...threw....threw.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 11:08 AM
jc -

I've never seen this before in a professional game against the Browns, but I've now seen it twice in three games...the defense caused the other team to quit, just give up at a point in the game when a scoring drive would have still provided hope. Instead they turned to backup QBs and elected to run the clock out. The losing teams elected to run the clock out and call it a day.

On a crappy note...

I know JDubbs is basically an owner but bringing your kids onto the sideline and into the lockerroom is so cringe.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 11:31 AM
I noticed that too ... when the one kid blurted something out during Stefanski's speech. So cringe lol
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 11:39 AM
The 1994 Defense with Nick Saban as Defensive Coordinator was a very good defense giving up less than 200 points in a 16-game season. That was the best defense I remember in a Browns team. I just don't remember this kind of domination. More of bend but don't break. This defense so far breaks the other team.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 11:41 AM
I agree ... we are like on offense on defense .. and thus far it has worked
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 12:39 PM
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 12:52 PM

Posted By: Cleats Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 01:05 PM
Agree, the defense was outstanding. Watson had me nervous that first QTR. but settled in and played much better.
They really tried to get Moore involved early. He has decent hands but just can't shake that first defender and secure the ball.
They need to find another way to use his speed as suggested because so far, and it's still early, I just expected better things out of him.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 01:19 PM
the more weeks pass and the more the stats remain the same ... this defense is legit

we just need our offense to continue to round into shape
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 02:35 PM
A Sunday worth Celebrating!

DW had a great performance! I was hoping things would begin to turn around on O but I certainly wasn't expecting to see such a huge swing in the right direction happen all in one week. DW looked crisp, decisive and made quick decisions all while being very accurate with the ball. Obviously the running game didn't look great but I think we all saw that coming at least to some extent. That's why for me, at least as it stands as of yesterday, DW knew the pressure was on him to come through and he did so with flying colors. I don't think any of us could have asked for anything more. I could complain about the backward pass that left me scratching my head. But if I were looking for perfection I would have to find something other than a human being to play the game at QB. Humans by the very definition of the word are not perfect. They are going to have to make that running game work better moving forward however.

The D did a fantastic job as per usual. They had Tannehill rattled and pressured the entire game. They made the Titans running game virtually non existent. What I have to remember to do as the season moves on is appreciate that D each and every week and not begin to take their contribution for granted.

If people seriously wish to discuss an actual bad call by the refs, the one where they called Coop out of bounds is it. It wasn't even close! Thankfully the the Browns, on both sides of the ball they made sure that had no impact on the outcome of the game. I have the game on DVR. I did the same last week but simply deleted it because I mean, who would want to watch a replay of that? But this one is one I will certainly watch again at some point this week.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by GratefulDawg

I told my wife about the "Joe Woods is a football terrorist" thing and she died laughing.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by Cleats
Agree, the defense was outstanding. Watson had me nervous that first QTR. but settled in and played much better.
They really tried to get Moore involved early. He has decent hands but just can't shake that first defender and secure the ball.
They need to find another way to use his speed as suggested because so far, and it's still early, I just expected better things out of him.

Honestly, I'm ok with it. Get/keep him involved with touches and keep developing that chemistry until you feel comfy opening up the playbook. He can be a weapon.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 02:45 PM
Just a small suggestion to Stefanski. If the game is won and you put your backup QB in, please put your backup O-Linemen in too. No need for freak injuries.

On the other hand, to me, it looked like they could use the work. OL was leaky all game, especially early/before the Titans essentially gave up. Watson pulled off some Houdini-like escapes and kept getting up after taking a pounding.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 02:49 PM
Teller is really struggling to start the season.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 02:59 PM

I saw on holding call on him.

None the less, a good game.

The O looked like it had some life and the D played great.

The cautionary note is Tennessee isn't very good this year. Basically they have DT Jeffery Simmons on D and Derrick Henry on O. Simmons caused some problems. Henry was bottled up for the most part. I think he broke 1 run for about 20 yards. That isn't bad against that guy, but his line isn't very good.

It was exciting at the stadium. The crowd was in to the game and the team did what it was supposed to do.

Watson played a good game. Some may say wait and see, and I get it, but credit due where deserved.

Big game next week, especially after the Ravens loss.

I agree the Titans aren't very good right now. I think you might be selling the D a bit short, though. That entire DL is pretty good. If Watson weren't so shifty, we may have been in trouble. They also have Byard on the backend.

On O, they might be worse than you hinted at. They do have Henry on O, but he might be more of an impediment than what is good about them now. He definitely looks like time and the hits are catching up to him. It wouldn't have been surprising to look down and see that his feet were encased in cement on some of his runs. It may be time to phase him out of the O, and it looks like the Titans may be trying to do so. I think I saw that he was out touched almost 2:1.

I do agree that OL got worked over. Watching the two TEs follow Myles around almost made me feel bad for them.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 03:04 PM
I agree w/Teller. He's lost a step, especially in pass pro
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life

I don't know if he's actually lost a step or if he just looks like he has. Instead of being the guy that Conklin helps out, he has to be the guy helping out Jones. Not so much in a physical sense, but calling things out, predicting what is coming, and communicating how to respond to what is happening during the play. Trying to keep an eye on the rookie may be slowing him down.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 03:30 PM
I do agree with you about Henry as it pertains to losing a step. He's always been a more straight ahead physical runner and that has taken its toll over time as it usually does. But when it comes to rushing the football the titans still rely on him as the main back. Even though they didn't rush the ball much yesterday after falling behind, Henry had 11 rushes for a total of 20 yards and Spears only had 4 carries for 6 yards.
Posted By: eotab Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 03:37 PM
Watson looking better but ski letting the inmates run the prison. no under center and wide open, no more playbook just me me me football with Watson at the play ground. We will win because of our D and their discipline play!! So fun to watch.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by eotab
Watson looking better but ski letting the inmates run the prison. no under center and wide open, no more playbook just me me me football with Watson at the play ground. We will win because of our D and their discipline play!! So fun to watch.
Thats more of stefanski playing to Watson's strengths.. Not "inmates running the prison" thats a pretty tone deaf statement
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by leadtheway
Thats more of stefanski playing to Watson's strengths.. Not "inmates running the prison" thats a pretty tone deaf statement

Especially considering how they still actually did a lot of the same formations we've seen in the past, and they didn't work as well.

I'm still waiting to see what a bunch of the numbers actually were. Haven't even seen snap counts yet.
Posted By: Swish Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 04:18 PM
It was also great to see Watson have those Houdini moments again, getting out of sacks and such
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I do agree with you about Henry as it pertains to losing a step. He's always been a more straight ahead physical runner and that has taken its toll over time as it usually does. But when it comes to rushing the football the titans still rely on him as the main back. Even though they didn't rush the ball much yesterday after falling behind, Henry had 11 rushes for a total of 20 yards and Spears only had 4 carries for 6 yards.

Hmmmmmm, not sure where the 2:1 came from. Maybe the week 2 yards per carry.

Not sure what I would do if I were the Titans OC. That offense doesn't look like it is going anywhere.

Good pass blockers are hard to find. It's not easy to beat someone when you're going backwards and they're going forwards. Between inertia and just the way the human body is put together, OL are at a disadvantage from the jump.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
Originally Posted by leadtheway

Especially considering how they still actually did a lot of the same formations we've seen in the past, and they didn't work as well.

I'm still waiting to see what a bunch of the numbers actually were. Haven't even seen snap counts yet.

It's just an example of trying to manufacture a problem out of thin air. There are enough potential concerns as it is.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 05:10 PM
MoreForYouCleveland
@MoreForYou_CLE
·
21m
#Browns top 5 performers on defense in Week 3, per PFF: (min. 15 snaps)

1.) Myles Garrett (93.3)
2.) Alex Wright (90.5)
3.) Mo Hurst (89.6)
4.) JOK (87.1)
5.) Anthony Walker (84.9)
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 05:12 PM
MoreForYouCleveland
@MoreForYou_CLE
·
4m
Let's take a look at the pass blocking grade of the 3 LT's tasked with blocking Myles Garrett so far this season.

Orlando Brown Jr. - 57.0
Dan Moore Jr - 3.5
Andre Dillard - 26.2
Posted By: BADdog Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 05:57 PM
Lets no forget to thank The Titans DBs they helped us out a bit on offense. Holding etc...
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 06:02 PM
Cooper drew 3 DPI/holding calls (and maybe 4, but 3 for first downs) ... in addition to his 100 yards and a TD ... that's crazy production
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 06:08 PM
Dov Kleiman
@NFL_DovKleiman
·
27m
#Browns Myles Garrett was a monster against the #Titans on Sunday:

🏈 3.5 sacks (1st)
🏈 9 pressures (T-1st)
🏈 93.2 Pass-Rushing Grade (1st)
🏈 34.6% win percentage (1st)

The #Browns only allowed 3 points against the #Bengals and #Titans in their two wins this season.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 08:35 PM
I honestly think Watson will actually play better not having Chubb as his back. I don't think Deshawn and Nick play complementary football.

Nick likes his QB under center where he can get a running start before getting the handoff and getting it closer to the line, and Watson likes to play out of the gun. He doesn't like turning his back towards the line after getting the ball. Chubb being out might prove to be a twisted sort of blessing.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life

I don't know if he's actually lost a step or if he just looks like he has. Instead of being the guy that Conklin helps out, he has to be the guy helping out Jones. Not so much in a physical sense, but calling things out, predicting what is coming, and communicating how to respond to what is happening during the play. Trying to keep an eye on the rookie may be slowing him down.

This. Jason Lloyd discussed after the Steelers game how Teller is having to communicate constantly with Jones to make sure he's on the same page. Teller did not have to do this with Conklin.

From today...

Posted By: lampdogg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 09:30 PM
Makes a certain amount of sense, peen. Not that we wouldn’t kill to have Nick back, but I get what you’re saying.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 09:40 PM
that makes sense for sure
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 09:57 PM
I honestly think Watson will actually play better not having Chubb as his back. I don't think Deshawn and Nick play complementary football.

Nick likes his QB under center where he can get a running start before getting the handoff and getting it closer to the line, and Watson likes to play out of the gun. He doesn't like turning his back towards the line after getting the ball. Chubb being out might prove to be a twisted sort of blessing.

Not sure if that is accurate or not.

The Browns' run game has actually been slightly more efficient when in shotgun, and the 2022 season was a great example of this fact. Cleveland ran the ball 92 times from the 'gun which resulted in ball carriers averaging a whopping 6 yards per carry and +6.31 EPA. They ran the ball 210 times from under center and only averaged 4.7 yards per carry with a -3.84 EPA.

link

But the way Chubb sees it, the shotgun and a running game are still very compatible.

“It’s good for running,” Chubb said. “It kind of opens up the pass option too. They (the defense) have to spread out more. So it opens up the run game too.”

link

I agree on the Watson side, but Chubb transcended scheme. I was looking forward to him getting more passing game opportunities.
Posted By: FATE Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 10:01 PM
I get that too. And anything to makes Watson more comfortable becomes an easy choice without Chubb. Wondering how that will affect blocking schemes on run plays and add to the 'learning curve' with the OL and a new RB1.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 10:17 PM
Faithful Dawgs Podcast
@FDPodcastCLE
·
5h
The #Browns top graded offensive players against the #Titans according to
@PFF
:

TE Harrison Bryant - 75.1
QB Deshaun Watson - 74.6
WR Amari Cooper - 72.3
RT Dawand Jones - 65.3
C Ethan Pocic - 64.3
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 10:58 PM
Harrison has been light out on QB sneaks lol
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 11:14 PM
I honestly think Watson will actually play better not having Chubb as his back.

Funny you mentioned that Peen. I was thinking about that last night. It's only one game, so I will wait and see how this all plays out with the future games. I did find it interesting imo, the offense flowed differently out there. I know adjustments will be made when you lose someone like Chubb.

I just felt it was more of a team effort. I know I am not explaining this clearly enough. The best i can think is when Lebron was with the Cavs. The offense flowed differently through him and less passing, more one on one bball. Once he left, the ball play sets were more open, player movement, passing/ getting everyone involved was a big difference compared to when he was here.

This definitely is not a slight on Chubb. I just think once we couldn't get a rhythm, we would just go back to Old Faithful. Now since we don't have Old Faithful, we have depend on everyone to do their part in moving the chains.

Like I said, it's such a small sample so it's in no way shape or form what is happening. Besides, game plans from game to game will change anyways.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 11:37 PM
“Now since we don't have Old Faithful, we have depend on everyone to do their part in moving the chains.”

Yes. Nice hoops analogy and I’ve seen it in hockey, too. A team’s key player goes down, everyone is like “oh crap, we gotta get buy-in from everyone“. Wayne Gretzky lost a lot of time one year and Jarri Curry stepped up large. Happened.

It FORCES everyone to man up.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/25/23 11:46 PM

Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/26/23 01:32 AM
Originally Posted by ScottPlayersFacemask
I honestly think Watson will actually play better not having Chubb as his back.

Funny you mentioned that Peen. I was thinking about that last night. It's only one game, so I will wait and see how this all plays out with the future games. I did find it interesting imo, the offense flowed differently out there. I know adjustments will be made when you lose someone like Chubb.

I just felt it was more of a team effort. I know I am not explaining this clearly enough. The best i can think is when Lebron was with the Cavs. The offense flowed differently through him and less passing, more one on one bball. Once he left, the ball play sets were more open, player movement, passing/ getting everyone involved was a big difference compared to when he was here.

This definitely is not a slight on Chubb. I just think once we couldn't get a rhythm, we would just go back to Old Faithful. Now since we don't have Old Faithful, we have depend on everyone to do their part in moving the chains.

Like I said, it's such a small sample so it's in no way shape or form what is happening. Besides, game plans from game to game will change anyways.

I am a little over the hill and have my gray moments, but I was a pretty deep thinker when a little younger.

I agree, it's a small sample, but if you look at Watsons history, he played in the gun at Clemson and Houston. I would also bet a pretty nice sum he did in HS, JRHS and Pee Wee. That is all most of these kids play coming up. He likes to face the D and not turn away from the D. He doesn't see the field when he does that.

With what we have invested in the guy, I don't think it very smart to think you are going to change 20 years of habits and expect great results. I am right handed in throwing and writing only. I do nearly everything else left handed. If some came in and said I had to shave right handed, it wouldn't be pretty. I can't eat with a fork in my right hand.

The point is you can't easily change ingrained habits. If he can't play under center, don't do it. That would be like telling Peyton Manning he needed to run a RPO....if the DE crashes, pitch it, it not tuck and run underneath him.....that wouldn't be pretty....it might be funny.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/26/23 01:49 AM
I love the Baldy breakdowns
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/26/23 02:31 AM
Yes, I agree with you about Watson’s history.

I prefer the shotgun with spreading the receivers out, also prefer the 5 wide. Spread them all out, find the mismatches, and play pitch n catch with the WRs/TES/RBs.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/26/23 03:03 AM
j/c...

Posted By: Rishuz Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/26/23 09:41 AM
The reasons Myles hasn't won DPOY and those other guys have...

1. Injuries.
2. Covid/asthma.
3. Beating people over the head with helmets.
4. Car accidents.
5. Gifting Watt DPOY to prove a point to our previous QB.
6. Lack of timely plays in timely moments.

I hope this is the year. I'm tired of hearing about Watt. He's a Neanderthal.

BTW, there's a really good YouTube breakdown with Sam Monson (and I can't remember the other guys name) every week. They love Myles. Like just love him. It's why he always gets good PFF grades.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/26/23 11:05 AM
1000%
Posted By: bonefish Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/26/23 11:37 AM
I was going to mention Hurst. What a pickup by Berry.

Hurst has been really good. He is quick off the LOS. He shows good moves and technique.

Going into the season many thought that linebacker was a problem. That has not been the case.

Walker, JOK and Taki have played well.

I wrote a piece about "unit play" and how important it was in defense. It is what Schwartz emphasizes.

This defense is playing united defense; each unit is playing complimentary ball. The front is allowing the linebackers to play free. The secondary has been outstanding in man coverage. Each unit supports the play of another.

Can't say enough about this defense. The best I have seen many many moons.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/26/23 11:58 AM
JOK looks so much better with the added weight. It was sorely needed. Hopefully it will help him stay healthy because he's a game changer. Him, Delpit, and Hurst have really stood out. We are going to have to pay Delpit.

Walker even seems faster. Schwartz is a magician.

Takitaki has always been good. Everytime he's on the field he plays well.

Really goes to show how important coaching is in football. The linebacker group seemed really weak. Schwartz has the entire defense playing lights out.

I think this defense is better so far then the '94 defense.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/26/23 12:20 PM
No doubt about it ... everyone looks improved, faster, more connected, etc.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/26/23 01:31 PM
We are going to have to pay Delpit.

I think Berry has known for awhile he was going to have to pay for him.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/26/23 01:33 PM

His TD on Sunday was vintage Takitaki. rofl
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/26/23 01:36 PM
Good point on your bringing up Takitaki. All good units have their unsung heroes, and he seems to be one of those guys. He just seems to turn in solid-if-unspectacular performance.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/26/23 01:44 PM

His TD on Sunday was vintage Takitaki. rofl

He ran a great route.

And watch Stef probably won't let him play offense again the rest of the season.
Posted By: eotab Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/26/23 02:49 PM

There is no Chubb vs Watson system. He ran a lot out of shot gun this year an was at 6.8 yds per carry. It is all Ski vs Watson as Ski's system is a Rhythm passing predicated off of play action similar to Shanahan. Thought you knew more football than that Peen. Yes with out the great RB Chubb. We will not be able to give Watson the 5-6 seconds needed all the time we will not have a championship O we will have an O that Watson will put up great numbers. I think its a better O than what Ski was providing as he was all over the place. It was the same with Baker...wide open was his style too but he tried to be that round peg trying to fit in that square hole that Ski wanted and was ruined mentally as well as physically but lets not get into that QB rehash. without Chubb Watson will/has taken over the O and making it his style not Ski making it his style. He already ruined 1 QB he ruins another his job is gone. He will ride on the arm of Watson and the precise disciplined D of Schwartz.

Just mark my words. He will physically ruin Watson hopefully the rookie from UCLA can carry us in December!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/26/23 02:51 PM
IMO the guy that is gonna be left out will be Newsome. Can't afford them all
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/26/23 03:09 PM
j/c...

Posted By: Rishuz Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/26/23 04:18 PM
BTW, not sure if anyone has mentioned this...but how about Stef showing some emotion...I dig it.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/26/23 04:47 PM

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/26/23 04:55 PM
JOK looks so much better with the added weight. It was sorely needed. Hopefully it will help him stay healthy because he's a game changer. Him, Delpit, and Hurst have really stood out. We are going to have to pay Delpit.

Walker even seems faster. Schwartz is a magician.

Really goes to show how important coaching is in football. The linebacker group seemed really weak. Schwartz has the entire defense playing lights out.

I think this defense is better so far then the '94 defense.

Players buy in to a coach who knows what he is doing, demands excellence from everybody and is cranky enough and equally jumps on anybodys ass and holds them accountable if he feels they are being slack. Schwartz will get in Garrett's grill and chew him out if he feels Myles is slacking at practice.

Schwartz has coached a lot of good players. Albert Haynesworth, Sueh, numerous guys in Philly, now Myles. He doesn't care. He is going to punk you if he feels you are a slacker. He has the cred that all those players are going to say if he calls them out in front of the team is "Yes Sir, I'll do better".
Posted By: Frenchy Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/26/23 07:42 PM
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/26/23 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by bonefish
Going into the season many thought that linebacker was a problem. That has not been the case.

Walker, JOK and Taki have played well.

I wrote a piece about "unit play" and how important it was in defense. It is what Schwartz emphasizes.

While this may not be the total answer I think a lot of it is due to scheme. We have a defense in which the secondary was drafted whose strong suit was playing man coverage. Using more man coverage plays to the strength of that unit. The LB'ers, even more so JOK is a read and react player. His physical skill set just screams to let him read the play and react accordingly. When you restrict players such as that to a single assignment or playing an area on the field rather than allowing them to freelance, it limits the skill set and abilities that made those players so attractive to draft in the first place.

The Browns now have a defensive scheme that aligns with the talent of the players. That is making all of the difference in the world IMO.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/26/23 08:20 PM
BTW, not sure if anyone has mentioned this...but how about Stef showing some emotion...I dig it.

Coaches lead in different ways. Tom Landry almost never showed any emotion. There is no "one size fits all".
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/26/23 08:43 PM

He didn't want Schwartz to give him a loaf during film study.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/26/23 09:04 PM
True statement. I agree.

This defense is so much fun to watch. They play so well together.

I wish I could get my youtube account figured out so I could immediately rewind the plays as the game is on and then go right back to the play like I could with directv.

I love doing that because I can watch certain players and then go back and watch others on the same play.

I heard there are ways to get coaches views of the field so you can see the full play develop.

Some of the DL play has been so outstanding. Coverage like black on coal. Tackling on the spot no advance.

Schwartz has this defense so in tune.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/26/23 09:16 PM
The tackling has been outstanding. We don’t give up a lot of YAC or much else in the way of extra yards. We are putting them on the ground. This is a seriously good D.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/26/23 11:31 PM
I love those Burns documentaries
© DawgTalkers.net