Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by eotab
Watson looking better but ski letting the inmates run the prison. no under center and wide open, no more playbook just me me me football with Watson at the play ground. We will win because of our D and their discipline play!! So fun to watch.
Thats more of stefanski playing to Watson's strengths.. Not "inmates running the prison" thats a pretty tone deaf statement

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by leadtheway
Watson looking better but ski letting the inmates run the prison. no under center and wide open, no more playbook just me me me football with Watson at the play ground. We will win because of our D and their discipline play!! So fun to watch.
Thats more of stefanski playing to Watson's strengths.. Not "inmates running the prison" thats a pretty tone deaf statement

Especially considering how they still actually did a lot of the same formations we've seen in the past, and they didn't work as well.

I'm still waiting to see what a bunch of the numbers actually were. Haven't even seen snap counts yet.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
It was also great to see Watson have those Houdini moments again, getting out of sacks and such

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I do agree with you about Henry as it pertains to losing a step. He's always been a more straight ahead physical runner and that has taken its toll over time as it usually does. But when it comes to rushing the football the titans still rely on him as the main back. Even though they didn't rush the ball much yesterday after falling behind, Henry had 11 rushes for a total of 20 yards and Spears only had 4 carries for 6 yards.

Hmmmmmm, not sure where the 2:1 came from. Maybe the week 2 yards per carry.

Not sure what I would do if I were the Titans OC. That offense doesn't look like it is going anywhere.

Good pass blockers are hard to find. It's not easy to beat someone when you're going backwards and they're going forwards. Between inertia and just the way the human body is put together, OL are at a disadvantage from the jump.

Fiercely Independent.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
Originally Posted by leadtheway

Especially considering how they still actually did a lot of the same formations we've seen in the past, and they didn't work as well.

I'm still waiting to see what a bunch of the numbers actually were. Haven't even seen snap counts yet.

It's just an example of trying to manufacture a problem out of thin air. There are enough potential concerns as it is.

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
MoreForYouCleveland
@MoreForYou_CLE
·
21m
#Browns top 5 performers on defense in Week 3, per PFF: (min. 15 snaps)

1.) Myles Garrett (93.3)
2.) Alex Wright (90.5)
3.) Mo Hurst (89.6)
4.) JOK (87.1)
5.) Anthony Walker (84.9)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
MoreForYouCleveland
@MoreForYou_CLE
·
4m
Let's take a look at the pass blocking grade of the 3 LT's tasked with blocking Myles Garrett so far this season.

Orlando Brown Jr. - 57.0
Dan Moore Jr - 3.5
Andre Dillard - 26.2

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Lets no forget to thank The Titans DBs they helped us out a bit on offense. Holding etc...

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
Cooper drew 3 DPI/holding calls (and maybe 4, but 3 for first downs) ... in addition to his 100 yards and a TD ... that's crazy production

1 member likes this: jfanent
Legend
Legend
Dov Kleiman
@NFL_DovKleiman
·
27m
#Browns Myles Garrett was a monster against the #Titans on Sunday:

🏈 3.5 sacks (1st)
🏈 9 pressures (T-1st)
🏈 93.2 Pass-Rushing Grade (1st)
🏈 34.6% win percentage (1st)

The #Browns only allowed 3 points against the #Bengals and #Titans in their two wins this season.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I honestly think Watson will actually play better not having Chubb as his back. I don't think Deshawn and Nick play complementary football.

Nick likes his QB under center where he can get a running start before getting the handoff and getting it closer to the line, and Watson likes to play out of the gun. He doesn't like turning his back towards the line after getting the ball. Chubb being out might prove to be a twisted sort of blessing.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
I agree w/Teller. He's lost a step, especially in pass pro

I don't know if he's actually lost a step or if he just looks like he has. Instead of being the guy that Conklin helps out, he has to be the guy helping out Jones. Not so much in a physical sense, but calling things out, predicting what is coming, and communicating how to respond to what is happening during the play. Trying to keep an eye on the rookie may be slowing him down.

This. Jason Lloyd discussed after the Steelers game how Teller is having to communicate constantly with Jones to make sure he's on the same page. Teller did not have to do this with Conklin.

From today...

L
Legend
Legend
L
Makes a certain amount of sense, peen. Not that we wouldn’t kill to have Nick back, but I get what you’re saying.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
that makes sense for sure

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
I honestly think Watson will actually play better not having Chubb as his back. I don't think Deshawn and Nick play complementary football.

Nick likes his QB under center where he can get a running start before getting the handoff and getting it closer to the line, and Watson likes to play out of the gun. He doesn't like turning his back towards the line after getting the ball. Chubb being out might prove to be a twisted sort of blessing.

Not sure if that is accurate or not.

The Browns' run game has actually been slightly more efficient when in shotgun, and the 2022 season was a great example of this fact. Cleveland ran the ball 92 times from the 'gun which resulted in ball carriers averaging a whopping 6 yards per carry and +6.31 EPA. They ran the ball 210 times from under center and only averaged 4.7 yards per carry with a -3.84 EPA.

link

But the way Chubb sees it, the shotgun and a running game are still very compatible.

“It’s good for running,” Chubb said. “It kind of opens up the pass option too. They (the defense) have to spread out more. So it opens up the run game too.”

link

I agree on the Watson side, but Chubb transcended scheme. I was looking forward to him getting more passing game opportunities.

Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
I get that too. And anything to makes Watson more comfortable becomes an easy choice without Chubb. Wondering how that will affect blocking schemes on run plays and add to the 'learning curve' with the OL and a new RB1.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Faithful Dawgs Podcast
@FDPodcastCLE
·
5h
The #Browns top graded offensive players against the #Titans according to
@PFF
:

TE Harrison Bryant - 75.1
QB Deshaun Watson - 74.6
WR Amari Cooper - 72.3
RT Dawand Jones - 65.3
C Ethan Pocic - 64.3

L
Legend
Legend
L
Harrison has been light out on QB sneaks lol

gmstrong

-----------------

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I honestly think Watson will actually play better not having Chubb as his back.

Funny you mentioned that Peen. I was thinking about that last night. It's only one game, so I will wait and see how this all plays out with the future games. I did find it interesting imo, the offense flowed differently out there. I know adjustments will be made when you lose someone like Chubb.

I just felt it was more of a team effort. I know I am not explaining this clearly enough. The best i can think is when Lebron was with the Cavs. The offense flowed differently through him and less passing, more one on one bball. Once he left, the ball play sets were more open, player movement, passing/ getting everyone involved was a big difference compared to when he was here.

This definitely is not a slight on Chubb. I just think once we couldn't get a rhythm, we would just go back to Old Faithful. Now since we don't have Old Faithful, we have depend on everyone to do their part in moving the chains.

Like I said, it's such a small sample so it's in no way shape or form what is happening. Besides, game plans from game to game will change anyways.

L
Legend
Legend
L
“Now since we don't have Old Faithful, we have depend on everyone to do their part in moving the chains.”

Yes. Nice hoops analogy and I’ve seen it in hockey, too. A team’s key player goes down, everyone is like “oh crap, we gotta get buy-in from everyone“. Wayne Gretzky lost a lot of time one year and Jarri Curry stepped up large. Happened.

It FORCES everyone to man up.

gmstrong

-----------------

1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by ScottPlayersFacemask
I honestly think Watson will actually play better not having Chubb as his back.

Funny you mentioned that Peen. I was thinking about that last night. It's only one game, so I will wait and see how this all plays out with the future games. I did find it interesting imo, the offense flowed differently out there. I know adjustments will be made when you lose someone like Chubb.

I just felt it was more of a team effort. I know I am not explaining this clearly enough. The best i can think is when Lebron was with the Cavs. The offense flowed differently through him and less passing, more one on one bball. Once he left, the ball play sets were more open, player movement, passing/ getting everyone involved was a big difference compared to when he was here.

This definitely is not a slight on Chubb. I just think once we couldn't get a rhythm, we would just go back to Old Faithful. Now since we don't have Old Faithful, we have depend on everyone to do their part in moving the chains.

Like I said, it's such a small sample so it's in no way shape or form what is happening. Besides, game plans from game to game will change anyways.

I am a little over the hill and have my gray moments, but I was a pretty deep thinker when a little younger.

I agree, it's a small sample, but if you look at Watsons history, he played in the gun at Clemson and Houston. I would also bet a pretty nice sum he did in HS, JRHS and Pee Wee. That is all most of these kids play coming up. He likes to face the D and not turn away from the D. He doesn't see the field when he does that.

With what we have invested in the guy, I don't think it very smart to think you are going to change 20 years of habits and expect great results. I am right handed in throwing and writing only. I do nearly everything else left handed. If some came in and said I had to shave right handed, it wouldn't be pretty. I can't eat with a fork in my right hand.

The point is you can't easily change ingrained habits. If he can't play under center, don't do it. That would be like telling Peyton Manning he needed to run a RPO....if the DE crashes, pitch it, it not tuck and run underneath him.....that wouldn't be pretty....it might be funny.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I love the Baldy breakdowns

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yes, I agree with you about Watson’s history.

I prefer the shotgun with spreading the receivers out, also prefer the 5 wide. Spread them all out, find the mismatches, and play pitch n catch with the WRs/TES/RBs.

2 members like this: Ballpeen, Milk Man
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c...

1 member likes this: mgh888
R
Legend
Legend
R
The reasons Myles hasn't won DPOY and those other guys have...

1. Injuries.
2. Covid/asthma.
3. Beating people over the head with helmets.
4. Car accidents.
5. Gifting Watt DPOY to prove a point to our previous QB.
6. Lack of timely plays in timely moments.

I hope this is the year. I'm tired of hearing about Watt. He's a Neanderthal.

BTW, there's a really good YouTube breakdown with Sam Monson (and I can't remember the other guys name) every week. They love Myles. Like just love him. It's why he always gets good PFF grades.

M
Legend
Legend
M
1000%

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
I was going to mention Hurst. What a pickup by Berry.

Hurst has been really good. He is quick off the LOS. He shows good moves and technique.

Going into the season many thought that linebacker was a problem. That has not been the case.

Walker, JOK and Taki have played well.

I wrote a piece about "unit play" and how important it was in defense. It is what Schwartz emphasizes.

This defense is playing united defense; each unit is playing complimentary ball. The front is allowing the linebackers to play free. The secondary has been outstanding in man coverage. Each unit supports the play of another.

Can't say enough about this defense. The best I have seen many many moons.

R
Legend
Legend
R
JOK looks so much better with the added weight. It was sorely needed. Hopefully it will help him stay healthy because he's a game changer. Him, Delpit, and Hurst have really stood out. We are going to have to pay Delpit.

Walker even seems faster. Schwartz is a magician.

Takitaki has always been good. Everytime he's on the field he plays well.

Really goes to show how important coaching is in football. The linebacker group seemed really weak. Schwartz has the entire defense playing lights out.

I think this defense is better so far then the '94 defense.

1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
No doubt about it ... everyone looks improved, faster, more connected, etc.

M
Legend
Legend
M
We are going to have to pay Delpit.

I think Berry has known for awhile he was going to have to pay for him.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M

His TD on Sunday was vintage Takitaki. rofl

Tackles are tackles.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Good point on your bringing up Takitaki. All good units have their unsung heroes, and he seems to be one of those guys. He just seems to turn in solid-if-unspectacular performance.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

His TD on Sunday was vintage Takitaki. rofl

He ran a great route.

And watch Stef probably won't let him play offense again the rest of the season.

E
Legend
Legend
E

There is no Chubb vs Watson system. He ran a lot out of shot gun this year an was at 6.8 yds per carry. It is all Ski vs Watson as Ski's system is a Rhythm passing predicated off of play action similar to Shanahan. Thought you knew more football than that Peen. Yes with out the great RB Chubb. We will not be able to give Watson the 5-6 seconds needed all the time we will not have a championship O we will have an O that Watson will put up great numbers. I think its a better O than what Ski was providing as he was all over the place. It was the same with Baker...wide open was his style too but he tried to be that round peg trying to fit in that square hole that Ski wanted and was ruined mentally as well as physically but lets not get into that QB rehash. without Chubb Watson will/has taken over the O and making it his style not Ski making it his style. He already ruined 1 QB he ruins another his job is gone. He will ride on the arm of Watson and the precise disciplined D of Schwartz.

Just mark my words. He will physically ruin Watson hopefully the rookie from UCLA can carry us in December!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
IMO the guy that is gonna be left out will be Newsome. Can't afford them all

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c...

1 member likes this: oobernoober
R
Legend
Legend
R
BTW, not sure if anyone has mentioned this...but how about Stef showing some emotion...I dig it.

M
Legend
Legend
M

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Tackles are tackles.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Rishuz
JOK looks so much better with the added weight. It was sorely needed. Hopefully it will help him stay healthy because he's a game changer. Him, Delpit, and Hurst have really stood out. We are going to have to pay Delpit.

Walker even seems faster. Schwartz is a magician.

Really goes to show how important coaching is in football. The linebacker group seemed really weak. Schwartz has the entire defense playing lights out.

I think this defense is better so far then the '94 defense.

Players buy in to a coach who knows what he is doing, demands excellence from everybody and is cranky enough and equally jumps on anybodys ass and holds them accountable if he feels they are being slack. Schwartz will get in Garrett's grill and chew him out if he feels Myles is slacking at practice.

Schwartz has coached a lot of good players. Albert Haynesworth, Sueh, numerous guys in Philly, now Myles. He doesn't care. He is going to punk you if he feels you are a slacker. He has the cred that all those players are going to say if he calls them out in front of the team is "Yes Sir, I'll do better".

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: eotab
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2023 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 27 Titans 3 Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard