Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Your hero is once again taking a little bit of fact and manipulating it by interjecting his own slanted opinions on the situation to continue to bash the Browns.

dude, you whine and cry about people supposedly calling you names or calling you a liar, but then you take snipes like this by calling Florio his hero?
THIS, THIS HERE, is why nobody really respects you and why you constantly catch so much flack. You CHOOSE IT and EARN IT.

Beyond that, just where is it bashing the Browns????

Last edited by PrplPplEater; 06/16/22 06:48 PM.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

V
Legend
Legend
V
As I said before, your bias is obvious and your decisions are unfair, but it's your sandbox. Have a nice night.

Legend
Legend
I would agree w/that jay. I just was trying to debunk the line of thought that a couple of posters are saying he wanted out because he couldn't pick the coach. The situation was far more complicated than that.

100% agree with you... I think Watson was upset before they named the GM.... but it wasn't because he didn't get to 'pick' the HC... there were a few different things I think he was upset about...

Last edited by jaybird; 06/16/22 06:55 PM.

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
As I said before, your bias is obvious and your decisions are unfair, but it's your sandbox. Have a nice night.

There is no bias except in your perceptions. None.

Browns is the Browns

1 member likes this: OldColdDawg
V
Legend
Legend
V
Right. He may have announced that he wanted a trade after the coach was named, but everyone and their mother knew it was coming from all of the previous crap that went down.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Oh really? I have had several posts on this very thread say Watson is my "hero" and "savior." Did you say anything to them? Like I said before............ban me if you wish, but save your BS for someone else.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
There was never any chance of this getting reversed. None. It's a done deal.

For better or for worse, the Browns are now married to Deshaun Watson.
Will he be the starting QB? Absolutely... eventually. This year? Probably at some point.

[Linked Image from familylawguys.com]

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Oh really? I have had several posts on this very thread say Watson is my "hero" and "savior." Did you say anything to them? Like I said before............ban me if you wish, but save your BS for someone else.

vers...I just took a look at the posts in this thread and I didn't find one incident where anyone said Watson is your "hero" and "savior."

Maybe I missed something...if so, feel free to point out the posts in this thread where someone is saying Watson is your "hero" and "savior".

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
V
Legend
Legend
V
Are you the one who PMed Purp? LOL

Ask arch and see if he will confirm. I'm not searching. You can call me a liar if you wish.

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Right. He may have announced that he wanted a trade after the coach was named, but everyone and their mother knew it was coming from all of the previous crap that went down.

Pretty sure I read somewhere quite a while ago that DW was "forced" to play safety in either practice or training camp etc before the 2021 season started while the Texans figured out what to do with him. Don't remember the timeline specifically.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Ask arch and see if he will confirm. I'm not searching. You can call me a liar if you wish.

vers...might surprise you, but I rarely do PMs...don't think I've done one this year.

As for calling you a liar, I didn't do that either...did I..?

Last edited by mac; 06/16/22 08:04 PM.

A
Legend
Legend
A

I don't know. Did I? If so, it was with good reason.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yes arch. I apologize for dragging you into this. I just didn't feel like searching. I'm sorry. For what it's worth, I didn't give those monikers a second thought. Of all the insulting that go on here on a daily basis, words like "hero" and "savior" mean next to nothing. The other day, a poster called me a d..., you know, a human body part. The post was deleted, but the dude was posting the very next day. Saying "your hero" is NOTHING.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Okay mac, I didn't think you were the type to PM Purp. And I am sorry if I hurt your feelings by saying "your hero."

Legend
Legend

For one, it's funny how you JUST complained about people calling your take BS and how you don't like it, lol
Secondly, I haven't seen anyone saying that. Feel free to share a link to a post.
Thirdly, are any of those people running the same double standard where they cry wolf about what others are saying and then turn around and do EXACTLY what they just complained about? Because this is the real issue I pointed out, not the part you focused on.

I'd love to ban you, but I don't handle any of the bans here (I took myself out of that pool over a decade ago) and you haven't done anything that earns it, anyway. Despite whatever contrived opinions you have of how I and this site operate, it don't work like that. You get what you earn here when it comes to bans, and that is 100% at the discretion of the other Refs. But, feel free to keep crying the martyr act.

p.s. Nobody PM'd me. You aren't that important, man. Sheesh!

Browns is the Browns

1 member likes this: SuperBrown
O
Legend
Legend
O

What? lol, you couldn't ask for a more fair guy IMO. We don't see eye to eye on everything at all, but Purp always treats me with respect, even when I don't always deserve it. What a croc of crap.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I'll say it. His take on you being unfair is BS.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:
Jadeveon Clowney came back to the Browns because ‘I was all about where my boy Deshaun (Watson) was going’

Updated: Jun. 16, 2022, 6:44 p.m. | Published: Jun. 16, 2022, 4:08 p.m.

Jadeveon Clowney was going where Deshaun Watson went: Browns minicamp
facebook
twitter
By Mary Kay Cabot, cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio --Jadeveon Clowney’s compass was easy to read this offseason: Wherever Deshaun Watson was headed, Clowney was going there too.

When Watson shocked the sports world and picked the Browns over three other suitors, the Browns essentially got Clowney in a package deal.

“I played well here last year,’’ Clowney said on the final day of mandatory minicamp at FirstEnergy Stadium. “I felt like I could get better. Just pick up from what I did last year. Plus, my boy came here, Deshaun.”

Clowney made no bones about it: Whereever his former Houston Texans teammate put his pin on the map, Clowney would too.

“I was all about where my boy Deshaun was going,’’ he said. “When I talked to [the Browns], I said, ‘I played with him, he kept us off the field a lot.’ I was like, ‘I know you’re going to keep us off the field, you put up a lot of points, put us in rushing situations instead of having to stop the run all the time.’ I just wanted to go play with him and see what I can do with him again.”

So if Watson had chosen the Falcons over the Browns, which was rumored at one point, Clowney would be a Georgia peach right now?

“I probably would have,’’ he said. “I probably would’ve followed him there. But who knows? He ended up here. We’re here now. That’s over with. Let’s go. We’re chasing it now.”

Clowney, the three-time Pro Bowler, kept in contact with Watson throughout the selection process, during which the Saints and Panthers were also hot on his trail. Playing with Watson in 2017-18, Clowney made the Pro Bowl both years and had two of his best career seasons, with a career-high 9.5 sacks in 2017 and a second-best nine in 2018, a sum that he matched last year.

Six games into his rookie season in 2017, Watson tore his ACL and missed the rest of the season. But in 2018, he earned the first of his three Pro Bowl berths by en route to an 11-5 record and a wild-card spot in the playoffs, where they lost to the Colts.

“I talked to him a few times before he signed, after he signed,” Clowney said. “We stayed in touch through that whole thing about coming here. If he come, then I come. I told him if he goes, I’ll follow him up here. I’ll go back. That’s what it came down to.”

Like everyone else, Clowney is waiting on the edge of his seat for the NFL to hand down Watson’s expected suspension, which could be anywhere from a handful of games to an indefinite ban.

“That’s all right,’’ Clowney said. “We’ve got a good defense, we can hold it together. We did good last year and we were banged up on offense all over the place and our defense played well for what we had going on. We’ve got the same defense back, couple additional pieces. We’re going to be all right.”

Despite his allegiance to Watson, Clowney wasn’t about to throw Baker Mayfield under the bus. While the stingy defense had to deal with a points-starved offense, Clowney doesn’t hold it against Mayfield.

“I ain’t going to get into that because my boy Baker, that’s my guy,” he said. “I like Baker, good person, great person. I’m just glad to be back here doing my thing.”

Clowney, 29, is part of Watson’s support system as he deals with the looming suspension and 24 pending civil suits against him by massage therapists alleging sexual misconduct during appointments.

“That’s a lot of pressure,’’ Clowney said. “I told him that’s a lot of pressure for what he’s dealing with, but for him to just handle the situation the way he’s doing, I think he’s doing a good job. He doesn’t say much. He comes in here and works every day, he doesn’t let it bother him mess up his job, to work. He’s dealing with it well. I hope he just keeps doing it, take care of what he’s doing. Hope the best for my quarterback.’’

With the civil suits piling up and national and local media coming down hard, Clowney doesn’t go there much with his good buddy.

“Naw, that’s his personal biz, I don’t get into that,” he said. “Only football. I think there’s enough out here in the world going on, I don’t even have to ask him what’s going on. They put it all out there, so I try not to ask him. I’m sure he don’t want to talk about it.”

Clowney texted linebacker Anthony Walker after Clowney signed his one-year deal worth up to $11 million and promised they’d get after it this season.

“I told him we were a couple pieces away last year, a couple plays away,” he said. “If I come back, I’m chasing it. Same thing I told Myles [Garrett], ‘We’ve got to chase that Super Bowl. I didn’t come here just to win eight, nine games, I want to chase the Super Bowl.’ And I think we’ve got a shot. Put it together this year and see where it goes.”

If Watson was the biggest draw for Clowney, Garrett was a close second. The two complemented each other well, with Garrett setting the club record with 16 sacks and Clowney notching nine. Now that they know each other, there could be more where that came from.

“Me and him did some good things together,” Clowney said. “We got along well. We played well together. We fed off each other. We felt like we come here and do the same thing. Even better. That was our first year and we know each other better. We got a good thing going from last year. We want to keep it going.”

What’s more, now Walker, Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah and the others know how to fit with Clowney.

“The whole linebacker corps was new to me,’’ he said. “Everybody’s back. To have the guy behind you already know how he fill and what he likes to do, that makes it easy on myself. I can look back there and have to ask, because he already know what he’s going to do. That’s what makes it a lot better playing with the same guys instead of bouncing around and trying to figure out who guys are.”

Clowney, an elder statesmen on the team, got visits during his podium press conference from a few of his teammates.

“What are your goals this year,’’ running back D’Ernest Johnson asked.

“Make way more plays than I did last year,’’ he said. “Make more sacks. More TFLs. Just trying to get it going.”

Amari Cooper popped in next.

“You coming to my birthday party?’’ he asked, referring to the big soiree in Miami this weekend that a lot of his teammates are attending.

“Dang man, I want to,’’ Clowney said. “I have a camp Saturday, but I want to get down there. You just told me that yesterday. You put me on the spot.”

Like Walker, Clowney feels more of a family atmosphere this year.

“It’s pretty laid back, man,” he said. “I feel like we get along well, it’s a good group, very young team. Hell, I’m one of the oldest ones on here, it’s the weirdest thing. But it’s a young team and we have a lot of fun together. I have a lot of fun out here with these guys and that was my biggest part, I had a lot of fun last year.”

With young defensive linemen on board such as Perrion Winfrey and Alex Wright, Clowney says he and Garrett will lead by example.

“Just show ‘em how we’ve been doing it, how we work, how we do our thing out there during the week,’’ he said. “It all happens during the week. We do a lot of work during the week, we work during practice, we run around hard, we don’t take plays off. I think when they see how we work, they see the older guys doing it, they’re going to pick up off it, which they do pretty well now.”

Clowney is confident this team is better this year, especially if Watson plays.

“Of course,” he said. “We were good on defense last year. We picked up some new pieces on the offense and defense and I just feel like we’re a better team than we were last year.”

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/20...ere-my-boy-deshaun-watson-was-going.html

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Okay mac, I didn't think you were the type to PM Purp. And I am sorry if I hurt your feelings by saying "your hero."

vers...so you didn't think I was the type to PM Purp...?

You say this after you accuse me of PMing Purp...yea, sure I believe you...!

As for you hurting my "feelings"...nope, you didn't hurt my feelings, either...

1 member likes this: SuperBrown
V
Legend
Legend
V
mac, what do you think about Clowney saying that it was all about where his boy Watson was going and how he might have even followed Watson to Atlanta had he gone there? Would you acknowledge that is a pretty strong endorsement coming from a man who actually knows Watson and was his teammate? Would you agree that he knows more about Watson than you, me, and guys like Florio? Do you think it would be wise to perhaps keep an open mind on Watson until all the facts come out about the case?

L
Legend
Legend
L
Hey Vers, about that ‘snitch’ comment. All I was doing was pouring out an observation someone else made, a Vikes fan I know who follows his team as close as we all follow ours.

For the record, I don’t want to fire our coach(es) or anyone in the front office. That’d be the last thing we need.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
O
Legend
Legend
O
I was actually a little curious if there was some sort of clause that protected a team from extreme shenanigans.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
B
Legend
Legend
B
Different set of rules for rich, white owners than there are from the black, paid help.

Sorry, I don't buy in to that. At least the rich and white/black part. The owner part I might agree.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Divide intensifies in league office over handling of Deshaun Watson

Posted by Mike Florio on June 16, 2022, 7:13 PM EDT
link

Even before recent developments gave the Deshaun Watson case a more ominous feel, some in the league office believed that Watson should not play until the pending litigation has ended. However, Commissioner Roger Goodell took the possibility of paid leave off the table in March.

Starting with the feature that debuted 23 days ago on HBO’s Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel, the situation has gotten worse for Watson, with two more lawsuits filed, two more expected, and possibly more to come. As one source with the dynamics of the situation explained it to PFT on Thursday, the league is very concerned about the drip, drip, drip of more cases being filed.

The new cases, the looming cases, and the possibility for even more cases, coupled with the HBO story and the recent article from Jenny Vrentas of the New York Times, have given more credibility to those in the league office who want Watson to be sidelined until the litigation has completely ended.

It’s unclear how this split will be resolved, and it will be difficult for the league to make a full and final decision regarding potential discipline without knowing how many cases will be filed. Through it all, the league has to balance the potential consequences of going too far with the possible fallout from not going far enough. And it was a failure to go far enough with Ray Rice in 2014 that nearly brought down the house.

Whatever the Commissioner does, he won’t put himself in position to be criticized again for going too easily on a player accused of misconduct against a woman. Or 26 women. And counting.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Good morning, mac. I noticed you didn't answer my questions about Clowney wanting to play w/Watson. Care to share your thoughts?

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
mac, what do you think about Clowney saying that it was all about where his boy Watson was going and how he might have even followed Watson to Atlanta had he gone there? Would you acknowledge that is a pretty strong endorsement coming from a man who actually knows Watson and was his teammate? Would you agree that he knows more about Watson than you, me, and guys like Florio? Do you think it would be wise to perhaps keep an open mind on Watson until all the facts come out about the case?

The money had nothing to do with Clowney signing with the Browns..?

Clowney and Watson were teammates in Texas and I can understand Clowney's comment about wanting to play with Watson again.

But Clowney's past experiences playing with Watson have nothing to do with Watson's off the field conduct/issues...two separate issues.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yes, but this is supposed to be the Pure Football forum, so maybe it would be okay to discuss the football angle once in awhile? Instead, we get the daily Florio slanted opinion pieces that trash Watson and the Browns.

L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Originally Posted by mac
Divide intensifies in league office over handling of Deshaun Watson

Posted by Mike Florio on June 16, 2022, 7:13 PM EDT
link

Even before recent developments gave the Deshaun Watson case a more ominous feel, some in the league office believed that Watson should not play until the pending litigation has ended. However, Commissioner Roger Goodell took the possibility of paid leave off the table in March.

Starting with the feature that debuted 23 days ago on HBO’s Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel, the situation has gotten worse for Watson, with two more lawsuits filed, two more expected, and possibly more to come. As one source with the dynamics of the situation explained it to PFT on Thursday, the league is very concerned about the drip, drip, drip of more cases being filed.

The new cases, the looming cases, and the possibility for even more cases, coupled with the HBO story and the recent article from Jenny Vrentas of the New York Times, have given more credibility to those in the league office who want Watson to be sidelined until the litigation has completely ended.

It’s unclear how this split will be resolved, and it will be difficult for the league to make a full and final decision regarding potential discipline without knowing how many cases will be filed. Through it all, the league has to balance the potential consequences of going too far with the possible fallout from not going far enough. And it was a failure to go far enough with Ray Rice in 2014 that nearly brought down the house.

Whatever the Commissioner does, he won’t put himself in position to be criticized again for going too easily on a player accused of misconduct against a woman. Or 26 women. And counting.

If only we could have know there was the possibility of further cases before this whole sordid affair finally wrapped up...

O
Legend
Legend
O
Hey mac, thanks for keeping these bad PR articles in front of us. Some people don't want to see them, but I think the DAILY damage being done to our team's reputation is VERY MUCH a pure football topic and more than newsworthy content. thumbsup Some of us realize that this stuff is not going away anytime soon.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Yes, but this is supposed to be the Pure Football forum, so maybe it would be okay to discuss the football angle once in awhile? Instead, we get the daily Florio slanted opinion pieces that trash Watson and the Browns.

I agree that it's all up for discussion because it's all pure football.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I guess I am over the idea of speculating on whether the FO did or didn't do a thorough investigation. If they expected all this bad press across all the National and Sport media, the additional cases, the sordid details - then it seems almost as bad an indictment on them as if they didn't do a very thorough investigation. But I don't know - and at this point it doesn't change the outcome.

From a pure football perspective - what does impact the Browns is DW's availability to start and bring his elite skills to the QB of the team. That's another area of speculation or conjecture for everyone - but that does and will change the outcome of how we view this trade. Some of the questions I have:

- How does the NFL move forward without resolution to these cases - maybe with some sort of caveat that any suspension could be increased if DW is found guilty or if more evidence/cases emerge ?

- As others have said, the NFL really only cares about it's image, it's revenue and the optics. If they treat DW leniently, they face a potential back lash. They potentially face continued and worse PR if DW ever lost a case in Criminal court. Saying this is a giant mess for the NFL is an understatement. And that in turn makes it a nightmare for the Browns while we wait on the NFL to make a decision. This story is bigger than the Ray Rice story and the NFL botched that so badly you have to think they would rather face an extended fight with the NFLPA than look weak/stupid again. . . . . In essence, if the NFL are going to get this verdict/decision wrong - you can bet your bottom dollar they will err on the side of being too punitive.

- If DW does not settle - he faces a very realistic possibility of losing in the criminal case. And if we think of someone like OJ - no-one thinks to themselves "Hey he was innocent in a court of law, and it was only a civil case that found him guilty" .... every man, woman and child brands OJ guilty.

- If DW settles - some might insist this was a witch hunt, made worse by local media ... maybe even suggest Watson is 100% innocent. I would think at least as many Browns fans would assume DW had some culpability and guilt.

- My last thought or question regards how long this stink will linger. If it's a 10 game ban, will everyone have moved on by the start of next season and this will be a non-story? If it's a season long ban - this story will be front and center of slow news off season months as DW prepares to take the field. Will we hear about this for the next 2 NFL drafts when they talk about why CLE has no #1 draft picks? .... none of which is pure football - but as a fan of the team, it hurts to see the team you root for dragged through the mud.

I mentioned in another post - at some point, the trade for an elite QB comes at a price that is too steep - in addition to the picks, the $1/4B, the bad press and optics, the ban . . . . I haven't landed there yet, but I am close to the point where I will think this is a bad trade if DW is gone for an entire season or more and we have a lost year with Brissett at QB. The team is strong and built to compete. I think it would suck for everyone to sit and watch them play with their back up QB as the starter for an entire year.

What about others - at what point (or has it already been reached) will you feel this was bad business?

Last edited by mgh888; 06/17/22 09:56 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
1 member likes this: Floquinho
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
vers...you seem to be in denial that it's Watson's off the field conduct that is going to control whether he see the field as the Browns starting QB...why is that so hard for you to understand..?

Regardless of how good Watson looks practicing in shorts, T-shirt and a helmet in half-go practices, it will be 'the NFL' that controls Watson's future on the field, based on his OFF THE FIELD CONDUCT.

The information that continues to surface via each civil lawsuit that is filed could become a factor in the NFL's decision whether or not to suspend Watson and for how long. Again, it's Watson's off the field conduct that is directly linked to Watson's future as the Browns starting QB.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I am not in denial. It's just that you guys keep saying the same stuff over and over again. There was nothing new in today's article. However, every single one of you ignored the Clowney post even though that is about pure football. Whatever, the few rule the roost. Carry on.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I have to agree with you. I think it was Quincy Carrier that said it, at this point, since the NFL has let it drag out so long, the damage to DWs rep will be permanent and lasting without a miraculous intervention from some unknown to date facts coming to light. I think the stink might lessen over time, but he will forever be branded by this, even if he gets through all these cases relatively unscathed, the damage is done. Now we as Browns fans have to decide if that is acceptable to us to the degree that we will follow the guy. There is nobody saying he's not a damn good player, but a lot of fans don't care how good he is at this point.

It also brings to mind what happened with Josh Gordon. Phenomenal player, but couldn't get out of his own way. He basically lost his career because of POT. How can the NFL justify this type of behavior, with so many instances, and not issue an indefinite ban? I know Gordon was a repeat offender, but did he fail 26 drug tests? And who was his victim? I think people talking 4, 6, or 10 games are delusional, especially since it's the Browns and the league is pissed about the contract. I don't think we can base our expectations on previous actions taken by the NFL, because the me-too movement changed all that and no major business wants this kind of stigma on its PR balance sheet today. I fully expect them to give him paid leave until the cases are resolved, then hammer him after. I think a year-long suspension will be a starting point, with the worst-case scenario being a lifetime ban similar to the one Pete Rose got for gambling on games. Most likely, a one year with stipulations of counseling, accepting accountability, etc. After his paid leave and suspension, he may not play for two or three years in Cleveland. And at that point would be three or four years off the field. What a mess.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 06/17/22 10:39 AM.
1 member likes this: mgh888
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mgh888
What about others - at what point (or has it already been reached) will you feel this was bad business?

I also won't try to pretend I know what "due diligence" meant. I have plenty of opinions of what Deshaun should do, what the league should do, what the Browns should do (or should have done)... but I have very little insight or control... and I still bleed the colors. There is so much space between best-case and worst-case that it is very hard to predict. And that, for me, makes it "bad business" from the beginning. Looking at it from the beginning of the "five-month saga", I quickly become Meatloaf: "I would do anything for love -- but I won't do that".

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: mgh888
Legend
Legend
Unless he is criminally charged. He will not go to prison. Life will go on.

There is a team and DW will play. People can view him as they wish. Myself I am a Browns fan. I will want to win if the qb is DW, Brissett, Dobbs, or Baker.

At some point DW will play. If he serves a suspension will that count as justice and he paid his dues? Seems like people forgave Ben.

Kraft could have been involved with his actions in sex trafficking. Which is basically modern day slavery. Nothing happened to him. Two wrongs do not make a right. But. Then J Jones never did a thing about his "peeping Tom" employee. A guy caught oogling cheerleaders.

Once some time passes and the story is outside of the magnifying glass of the daily media. People move on. Hell look at politics.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Different set of rules for rich, white owners than there are from the black, paid help.

Sorry, I don't buy in to that. At least the rich and white/black part. The owner part I might agree.

What about Brett Farve?

[Linked Image]

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by FATE
There is so much space between best-case and worst-case that it is very hard to predict.
That's a great point / summation.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted by mgh888
I guess I am over the idea of speculating on whether the FO did or didn't do a thorough investigation. If they expected all this bad press across all the National and Sport media, the additional cases, the sordid details - then it seems almost as bad an indictment on them as if they didn't do a very thorough investigation. But I don't know - and at this point it doesn't change the outcome.

From a pure football perspective - what does impact the Browns is DW's availability to start and bring his elite skills to the QB of the team. That's another area of speculation or conjecture for everyone - but that does and will change the outcome of how we view this trade. Some of the questions I have:

- How does the NFL move forward without resolution to these cases - maybe with some sort of caveat that any suspension could be increased if DW is found guilty or if more evidence/cases emerge ?

- As others have said, the NFL really only cares about it's image, it's revenue and the optics. If they treat DW leniently, they face a potential back lash. They potentially face continued and worse PR if DW ever lost a case in Criminal court. Saying this is a giant mess for the NFL is an understatement. And that in turn makes it a nightmare for the Browns while we wait on the NFL to make a decision. This story is bigger than the Ray Rice story and the NFL botched that so badly you have to think they would rather face an extended fight with the NFLPA than look weak/stupid again. . . . . In essence, if the NFL are going to get this verdict/decision wrong - you can bet your bottom dollar they will err on the side of being too punitive.

- If DW does not settle - he faces a very realistic possibility of losing in the criminal case. And if we think of someone like OJ - no-one thinks to themselves "Hey he was innocent in a court of law, and it was only a civil case that found him guilty" .... every man, woman and child brands OJ guilty.

- If DW settles - some might insist this was a witch hunt, made worse by local media ... maybe even suggest Watson is 100% innocent. I would think at least as many Browns fans would assume DW had some culpability and guilt.

- My last thought or question regards how long this stink will linger. If it's a 10 game ban, will everyone have moved on by the start of next season and this will be a non-story? If it's a season long ban - this story will be front and center of slow news off season months as DW prepares to take the field. Will we hear about this for the next 2 NFL drafts when they talk about why CLE has no #1 draft picks? .... none of which is pure football - but as a fan of the team, it hurts to see the team you root for dragged through the mud.

I mentioned in another post - at some point, the trade for an elite QB comes at a price that is too steep - in addition to the picks, the $1/4B, the bad press and optics, the ban . . . . I haven't landed there yet, but I am close to the point where I will think this is a bad trade if DW is gone for an entire season or more and we have a lost year with Brissett at QB. The team is strong and built to compete. I think it would suck for everyone to sit and watch them play with their back up QB as the starter for an entire year.

This is a very good and balanced view about the situation. Hats off mgh888!

Like Versatile Dog has pointed out that Berry, DePodesta and Stefanski is no uneducated mugs but still none of them had the courage or the moral compass to veto this train wreck of decision. I just can’t understand the thought process how they come to the conclusion that 22 civil law cases should suddenly disappear or magically just solve themselves. Ask any experienced lawyer and they will tell you that this is a process who easily can take several years before it’s totally over. Not to mention all the bad publicity.

That a big organization like the Browns has such total lack of understanding of how the media landscape works today is mind blowing.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by bonefish
Unless he is criminally charged. He will not go to prison. Life will go on.

There is a team and DW will play. People can view him as they wish. Myself I am a Browns fan. I will want to win if the qb is DW, Brissett, Dobbs, or Baker.

At some point DW will play. If he serves a suspension will that count as justice and he paid his dues? Seems like people forgave Ben.

Kraft could have been involved with his actions in sex trafficking. Which is basically modern day slavery. Nothing happened to him. Two wrongs do not make a right. But. Then J Jones never did a thing about his "peeping Tom" employee. A guy caught oogling cheerleaders.

Once some time passes and the story is outside of the magnifying glass of the daily media. People move on. Hell look at politics.

I didn't say he would go to jail. Jail is out unless it becomes criminal again in these cases somehow. I'm saying the punishment could be as severe as a lifetime (indefinite like Art Schlichter) ban, but I also said it was more likely he would be placed on paid leave and be suspended later. It's all speculation, but I don't think his suspension will be less than a year.

Art Schlichter was eventually reinstated after 13 games, then later confessed to gambling during his suspension and was released altogether. Who knows what DW will do as time passes if this is an addiction. Again, pure speculation, but 66 is definitely not normal.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 06/17/22 11:54 AM.
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Will Watson be the Browns Starting QB...continued

Link Copied to Clipboard