Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

No you posted the evaluations you wanted for your agenda. You did not post all his evaluations. Like what he stated about Manziel or the ones he was right about.

Really I don't care. Post what you like.

V
Legend
Legend
V
And what did you post? One about Wentz, right? What were you trying to do? Be objective? LOL.........and then you get your little panties in a wad because I questioned his evaluations and posted a couple of them.

Did you want me to post every evaluation he has ever made? On one post? Really?

I think that would be weird, but here is the link to his rankings going into the season: http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releas...s-qb-countdown/

Wow, he had Peyton Manning third overall and Cam was number 18. Wanna see what he had to say about Cam?

Quote:
No. 18 on my big board is Cam Newton. The Panthers ran the most college-based offense in the NFL last season. They featured multiple option elements and quarterback power. All to take advantage of Newton’s imposing size and athletic running ability. Presenting Newton as a viable runner forced defenses to account for him and created one-on-one matchups on the outside for his wide receivers. It made sense. Newton is not a precision passer and those one-on-one matchups define the reads and the throws. Newton has at times shown the ability to make outstanding throws from the pocket. Against the Seahawks in the playoffs, he made a seam throw to Greg Olsen that was as good as it gets. Newton had to beat the best free safety in the game – Earl Thomas. And he did with velocity and precise ball location. But Newton has far too many inconsistencies as a passer. What really bothers me is a lack of attention to the little details. Here, he had Jerricho Cotchery wide open down the seam with no deep safety. This is an easy touchdown in the NFL. You can’t miss these when your receiver is running free in the middle of the field. But it wasn’t a touchdown. And it was on Newton. You can see why clearly from the end zone angle. Newton never set his feet in the pocket. He threw this ball on one leg falling away, getting nothing on the throw. This play is symptomatic of Newton. He’s a big, raw, physical specimen, but not very advanced in the subtleties of NFL quarterback play.

I think some of the things he says are whacked. Bet you would too if he would have dissed Wentz. LOL

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
In music theory we call that the circle of fourths, but the results are better.

#gmstrong
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Going Shopping for quarterbacks to me is more than just shopping at the Draft. I'm going shopping at the Free Agent and team quality backup market first. Here's Why;

There are free agents, like Osweiler, who may fit as our starting quarterback and the Browns have the money to challenge the Bronco's to a duel. Then again, there's this backup down in Cincinnati, who our Head Coach has been tutoring for 2 years, in his system no less, and has a pretty respectable quarterback record with 7 games and 3 starts. AJ Mc Stats

Yes, my money is on the Browns going after AJ McCarron for our "Franchise" quarterback.

I know your saying "wait, he isn't an UFA or RFA! True, however I think this front office is more willing to conduct a trade with Cincinnati for him even though most think it is taboo to do so. This QB was expected to go no later than the back of the 1st or top of the second round in 2014 by most draft experts. Now he has 2 years in the AFC North, played against all three Divisional rivals, And will know the coaches playbook by heart day 1.

Not only is that a possibility, with all the UFA's from the Bengals offense that will be available we have a shot at loading up on some of the excess starting caliber, if not elite, players on both Offense and Defense if they want to come play with their former Offensive Coordinator.

Think about it, if we can get; Sanu and/or Jones at WR, Winston or Smith at RT, Iloka at SS, Lamur or Rey at OLB, Nelson at FS, we can stop worrying about anything but best available when it comes to the draft.

The Browns have plenty of cap space to go hard after some of these free agents (approximately 42.368 million) without over spending. Then, either before or at the Draft, work out a trade for McCarron.

Now we need to look at possible trade value; Since the Bengals managed to get a late first early second talent at the 22nd overall pick in the fifth round (164) of the 2014 draft, I would consider making my first trade option be the Browns 1st 4th round pick (100) and the Browns 1st compensatory pick in the 5th round (pick 171).

I think that can be a very fair price for a young veteran Quarterback which, will allow the Browns to go after a developmental quarterback without over paying for him, say Cardale Jones with our projected 1st compensatory pick in the late 4th, or with one of the two remaining picks in the 5th round.

Now the Browns can focus entirely on BPA throughout the draft and not be so overly concerned about "need" as they would have addressed all of the most dire needs even if some of our key free agents do walk. Areas addressed; QB, WR, RT, OLB, and Safety.

I know this is rather long and drawn out, but I wanted to give you more than just "why not McCarron".

I'm just an old lone wolf sharin' my thoughts on our favorite team.

I look forward to your comments whether they be positive or negative.

Hears to hoping Dorsey is the Browns Ozzie Newsome.
V
Legend
Legend
V
That's a very good post. I like how you supported your argument. Well done.

I wish I could agree w/you because you did such a good job of presenting your case, but AJ McCarron was one of the guys I studied a few years ago.

Here are my main concerns:

--I do not think he has the arm to throw the deep out effectively. He has to put too much air under it. That is a throw you want to drive because of the deep safety being in the area.

--He is not very mobile for a guy w/a minus arm.

--He throws some really dumb passes. Forces it the deep pass sometimes. I would just ask...."Why?"

But hey, you brought up good points and I have been wrong before. Anyway, I enjoyed reading your post.

Legend
Legend
I have no opinion of AJ McCarron, but will agree with Vers just this one time..

That was so well written I thought you pasted an article.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Thanks Vers,

I can not argue your points as I don't have the time to conduct the deep assessments of players that some do. If this were to pass, the person most likely to be able to make that decision, is the man who has been coaching him for the last two years. At least he will know whether or not he is worth what is paid "if" the front office shops for him. If he isn't worth the cost, I'm sure the coach will do well with his other options. I just do not have that warm and fuzzy feeling of a true #1 QB in this draft worthy of a #2 pick overall, but that is simply opinion at best. Most QB's like this need time that the fan base and organization are to "win now" oriented to allow the young QB to grow to his full potential.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts on the post.

BLW

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Thanks TG,

I generally don't post as much as simply read, so when I do, I try to make it worth everyone's time.

BLW

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I agree with vers, very nice post.

Coming out of bama, i wasn't very high on AJ but watching him this year, he grew on me. And if Hue wants to bring him in, well that's all I need to know.

Here is my issue. You are only looking at this from the browns standpoint. If I am the bengals, why would I give the browns a fair deal to solve their qb problems?

If I'm the bengals and you make the offer you proposed as fair, im coming back with, you csn have aj for #32 and your 2nd round pick in 2017. In this negotiation the bengals have the power. They neither have to nor want to trade aj.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
I also don't assume a team is going to give up their backup QB to their division rival for a 4th and 5th rounder if they think he's any good..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
I concur on the fact that the Bengals will likely put up a strong negotiation. However, neither office really has the upper hand. The Browns hold the number 2 and 32 pick regardless. So they can take a QB (Goff, Wentz, or Lynch)even though I believe it would be overpaying at 2 for either Goff or Wentz. Lynch at 32 is likely the best "fair value" QB. The thing I see with Cincinnati is that they are not likely to be desperate to keep a 2nd "starting caliber" QB when they can trade him for a higher value and draft another high level, developmental, backup with the higher of the picks.

It is a matter of finding a good compromise. My starting value of my 1st 4th RD pick and 2nd 5th RD pick is simply my perceived starting value point as to not insult the Bengals negotiators. Lowballing an offer, will only make it harder for the Browns front office to haggle an acceptable trade.

I'm confident that when it comes to the negotiations, between Hue's knowledge of the player as well as Brown and DePodesta's, supposed, ability to achieve success in acquiring the best bang for the buck in dealings like this.

We can only wait to see with such things.

Thanks for the post and your thoughts on mine.

BLW

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
While I enjoyed the post and like the thinking, there is a flaw. This year compensatory picks can not be traded. I heard somewhere they will be next year, but not this.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:
Hue and crew will make their best evaluation at the QB they won't reach for one because of need.

You made a good post, but we really don't know what they will do. This is the first go-around for these guys. One can't say w/any sense of objectivity if they will do a good job or a bad job. I worry that their inexperience will lead them to reaching for a qb that really isn't all that.

We also know that it isn't Hue and his crew. Rather, it's Sashi and his crew, which Hue is a part of.

True we don't really know anything for sure. But HUE was given a lot of power in all of this - I think its safe to say QB is definitely his decision. That Sashi will agree to. Sashi was given power to make all cohesive...I truly doubt the first pick and QB he would go against HUE and start the regime off with a rift.

Again if we take QB it will be because Hue and his staff are in agreement this is OUR GUY. Educated guess not fact.

Hue isn't inexperienced...Al Saunders is not inexperienced...they will know what they are doing. I think you are envisioning Sashi with a lot more power in the process.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
I think you are envisioning Sashi with a lot more power in the process.

I am envisioning it because that is what we have been told. Right after the last time we had this discussion, Sashi came right out and reiterated that he is the lead guy in all of this and Hue will be a part of it.

I don't have to speculate. It's been stated by the guys involved.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Brown's Wolf...I understand what you are saying. Short term possibly an option.

Franchise QB??? I don't know about that. Taking somebodies is what we have always done. I'm tired of the 2nd tier QBs we try to rejuvenate old veterans or trade for a DA.

I would doubt a Division Rival will trade us our Franchise QB...they will only do so knowing the ceiling is just so high. In most cases we get fleeced. DA was one of the few trades where we won.

Trust me I'm not saying you shouldn't have your opinion. I just want a chance of a Couch pick and we got pieces here. No, I'm not saying Couch was great I'm just saying he was the 1st overall pick and our choice...since then its been 22, 22 and again 22. I'm tired of the Back ups...Holcomb, Hoyer, McCown, etc.
jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

V
Legend
Legend
V
I thought DA was signed off of the Ravens practice squad?

4 first round QBs and everyone has sucked.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Probably so...I had 6th rounder in my head probably what they used to pick him not us to trade for him...lol thanks for the correction.

The last 3 #22 overall picks its "USUALLY" the QBs who have moved up due to the value of QB in the draft but odds of being a franchise QB as if we took them 3rd round.

Couch...had some skills the porous OL just made it impossible to develop him and see what kind of prospect he was.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

V
Legend
Legend
V
I'm not sure if we got him off the practice squad. I was asking more than telling. LOL

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I don't feel like looking it up but I think the Ravens tried to slip him through waviers and Savage snatched him up.

#gmstrong
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Thanks eotab, vers, and W84 for your comments.

I completely agree about not continuing to do the same thing the Browns front office did in the past. I would not even entertain this idea in the first place without having the following as my basis for the theory;

As you already know, in 2014 the Bengals gave Andy Dalton an extended contract which, just happened to include a clause that allowed them to cancel the contract completely at the end of the 2015 season if he did not meet team expectations. With that, Cincinnati in turn, grabs McCarron; a consensus 1st or, no later than top, 2nd round talent in the 5th round of the 2014 Draft.

I live in Chillicothe where there is a pretty fair mix of three out of the four AFC North teams fans. Luckily we are pretty good about not becoming to confrontational about each others teams and actually enjoy some good humored ribbing. More often than not though, we like to delve into the more in-depth discussions about each others team dealings.

When that Draft was concluded, every Bengals fan I spoke to raved about how the Cincinnati front office hit the jackpot on a top tier replacement for Dalton if he whiffs on the playoffs again (And of course how the Browns did whiff again on their QB). I concurred as I didn't expect Dalton to survive and that would give the Bengals a solid starting veteran in their system (And we picked the most flashy non-football QB ever before he became Johnny Rehab).

Now with, what I can only presume is, one of the key selectees of that quarterback as our head coach (not to mention a quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator that has trained this quarterback for 2 years), I would expect Hue to have a pretty solid idea of whether or not McCarron is a true franchise QB or not. I would also expect that he would be wise enough to not even consider this scenario if knows McCarron isn't and Draft the QB he believes is the best candidate to become that Franchise QB to turn the Browns around.

As for the Bengals refusing to make the trade, that's the business side and anything is possible there. I would think that Hue has pretty good relationships with the Bengals Owners and, with DePodesta and Brown likely controlling the management of the negotiations, would be able broker a fair and equitable compensation between the two teams.

In the end, everything here is purely speculation on my part with what little insight I have from the same media outlets everyone else gets their news from. I simply thought it would be an entertaining discussion to consider beyond the tired old boring Draft this QB "NO" draft that QB argument.

Thanks for the conversation everyone. I look forward to reading your posts and will likely bring up some discussion again around draft time. Especially if I just happen to turn out to be right. wink

Have a blessed Sunday and a great week everyone,

BLW

Last edited by Browns_Lonewolf; 03/06/16 11:26 AM.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
You are correct W84,

I miss read the information, the 2016 compensatory picks, which are awarded in the 2017 draft, will be tradable. Thanks for the heads up. That will definitely make it more challenging for my scenario to be realized.

BLW

T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Let's just sign RG3 and roll with him. It'd be some nice poetic justice if we got him for pennies on the dollar after we failed to give up the farm for him a few years ago. Maybe he's been humbled, but the guy showed his rookie year he's got the arm. He may not have the head or legs, though.

Or we lets go after Fitzpatrick. I like his beard.

Wise words spoken by sages
From SkyTel to BlackBerry pagers
Legend
Legend
Solid post. Liked the detail, and it makes sense as a coherent scenarios option. Lots to consider there. Especially like how the parts are going to influence and perhaps outweigh each other. The Sanu thing is really interesting and seems in reach. But what a remarkably different team might shake out of all of this.

This week should be informative if not encouraging as it shapes our draft needs.

Well done!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: TI84_Plus
Let's just sign RG3 and roll with him. It'd be some nice poetic justice if we got him for pennies on the dollar after we failed to give up the farm for him a few years ago. Maybe he's been humbled, but the guy showed his rookie year he's got the arm. He may not have the head or legs, though.

Or we lets go after Fitzpatrick. I like his beard.

His exit from Washington (letter left in locker) shows IMO that he has been anything but humbled.

Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2016 NFL Season 2016 NFL Draft Quarterback Shopping

Link Copied to Clipboard