Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
I think its too early to write Cooper off.
He was a player without a position in a base 34 defense.
In a 43 he's a natural 3-tech DT and with Paea leaving there's more reps to be had.

Last edited by edromeo; 05/08/17 08:23 PM.
Ballpeen #1270378 05/08/17 09:26 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
The quickest takeaway from this for me is simple: we are deep on the DLine now.

If you don't fit, you won't have a spot here.
If you aren't talented for your role, you won't have a spot here.

We no longer have room for guys in that room that are not an ideal fit for their role or have the talent level of "just a guy".

It's a pretty good problem to have, especially when running a 4-3.

I agree. That is why some players who we have come to know will probably get pushed off the team. We are getting to the point where guys who were starters, or spot starters might not make the team.

I know this is going to sound negative, but I will wait to see how our new draft picks play before saying they will help our D-line.

I've seen this movie too many times.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
That's why I like the veteran presence of a guy like Bryant. If he can still play well a starting rotation of Garrett, Bryant, Shelton and Ogbah, on paper is the best front we could put out there.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I agree.

edromeo #1270390 05/08/17 10:07 PM
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Cooper seems over matched at this level. Even at WSU he wasn't a dominant player
He got by on a decent quick 1st step in college but he is easily singled blocked at this level
He has a very little punch and less leverage to boot.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Orchard was a fish out of water @ OLB, but for now I think that he could be that 4th DE, but he will need to show that he belongs over the rest of the pack of hopefuls.

[Linked Image]

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
The Browns will probably cut Bryant, but I think he is our best interior d-lineman. He is not just an average player. He has great explosion off the ball, shows pretty good gap discipline, and is good in the running game and as a pass rusher.

I hope we keep him, but we probably won't. And once again, I'll be disappointed.

Bryant was good - how he plays, I think he can perform post injury at a similar level. I hope they keep him in the mix ( hopefully sashi bends to the Harvard connection and does right by a veteran player )

Legend
Legend
where did Paea go? Dallas? He had some nice plays for us IIRC

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
where did Paea go? Dallas? He had some nice plays for us IIRC

Yeah he left saying something like "cant wait to play REAL defensive football" haha.

E
Legend
Legend
E
As a Brown Bryant has yet played a complete season.

2013 He missed 4 games
2014 he missed 1 game
2015 he missed 2 games
and of course 2016 the entire season.
this is a big time factor and having a VET INJURED on the sidelines I believe is a Negative and not a positive.

I get the need for a Leader...we are going with Youth on a lot of that, for the DL, Shelton will be an excellent leader and role model for the DL.
jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #1270506 05/09/17 01:33 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

Any thoughts as to D Bryant playing some at DE?

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
j/c

I think he can do it. I believe he played both DE and DT when he was with the Raiders and they ran a 43 Base. I don't think they'd put him there based on Garrett and Ogbah penciled in to start. Don't think it would make a lot of sense keeping him with Nassib, Orchard, Holmes and/or Cam Johnson as younger/cheaper/adequate backups. I think he need to make the roster as a 3T, then maybe is rotate if injuries arise.

Still think the odds are against him sticking around.

Tackles are tackles.
eotab #1270516 05/09/17 02:03 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't think missing 1, 2, or even 4 games in a season is any kind of red flag. A nagging, minor injury doesn't alarm anyone that I know of.

But an entire season on the other hand certainly does.

Not saying I agree or disagree with the thought process, but I'd say the future of Bryant rests more with where they think the puzzle pieces fit a couple of years from now, not this coming year.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
If Brantley ends up facing legal issues and getting released, I believe Bryant makes the team.

If Brantley is cleared, barring major injury to someone else, I think Bryant is likely gone. If Barnidge doesn't pass their decision lens, then Bryant likely doesn't either.

E
Legend
Legend
E
3-4 yes...4-3 no thoughts at all. Unless he got a little lighter and faster from all his rehab???

I didn't think about it but the more I do I am thinking it would be a surprise if he is still here in September...I think a big key will be Brantley.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I don't think you can compare Bryant & Barnidge. I think Barnidge was Performance & cost basis release more so than age, although I think that did play into it. If Bryant shows high performance I think he might stick, however if he looks avg. then one of the rookies take his place.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
j/c

What's the thought process? I think he'd be a liability and I'm probably the most pro-des poster on here.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
My 2 cents...

I think many of you are being way to restrictive. You pigeon holed players in a simple base 4-3 defense. I think we will see situational football using key players Garrett, Collins, Shelton, and Kirksey.

As an example, lining Nassib next to Collins and Ogbah next to Garrett will make it difficult on offensive tackles. My favorite play Garrett, Bryant/Brantley, Shelton, and Ogbah on the line. Use Collins and Kirksey as MLBs with Kindred and Peppers at OLB. Play Powell single high safety with Taylor and Haden at the corners. Tell me where pressure is coming?

Individually I agree we look a little weak. Key here is match ups and rotation. I think we will see a lot more combinations than a simple 4-3. Hopefully we seen the end of hiring a new free agent to start every time someone gets hurt.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Just my two cents...

Bryant when on the field, always looks and plays like our best lineman...he pushes and flashes more than anyone consistently...However the guy is always injured or dinged up...I mean always

I saw nothing exciting of Cooper the year he was drafted...I know alot of people pimped him...I wanted nothing of him...He does play with solid quickness sometimes at the snap...but wastes that quickness to get taken out of the play often...Seemed to get a little puffy. If the light doesn't come on this year...he'll be gone.

Meder has a really nice motor and is always trying...I like him as a wave guy in our rotation...He just gets neutralized too often to be a starter

Brantley I can't go by much...He is one I would steer away from drafting in round 2 as that was his predicted round...Guy never played alot of snaps, and when in the game had horrible effort and his motor would just quit mid play...However legal trouble and bad tendencies led to him falling to us in round 6...may be only ever a rotation guy even if he steers clear of trouble...

THAT being said Desmond Bryant is our best shot...then again he's also likely to be injured or placed on IR at some point sadly.

Last edited by tru_dawgs; 05/10/17 12:58 AM.
bugs #1270755 05/10/17 08:02 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: bugs
My 2 cents...

I think many of you are being way to restrictive. You pigeon holed players in a simple base 4-3 defense. I think we will see situational football using key players Garrett, Collins, Shelton, and Kirksey.

As an example, lining Nassib next to Collins and Ogbah next to Garrett will make it difficult on offensive tackles. My favorite play Garrett, Bryant/Brantley, Shelton, and Ogbah on the line. Use Collins and Kirksey as MLBs with Kindred and Peppers at OLB. Play Powell single high safety with Taylor and Haden at the corners. Tell me where pressure is coming?

Individually I agree we look a little weak. Key here is match ups and rotation. I think we will see a lot more combinations than a simple 4-3. Hopefully we seen the end of hiring a new free agent to start every time someone gets hurt.

You make a good point there. We will be in a 4-3 base but I'm guessing we will see a lot of different looks.

The guys who make the roster will have to have some flexibility or simply be the best at their projected position. ie. Shelton doesn't have to be flexible because he's our best NT as an example.

So...if Cooper is just a 3T and Des can be a 3T and play a little like a DE in certain sets, then Des has the upper hand. If Brantley can play 3T and backup the NT, he has an upper hand.

We have (4) guys who CAN play the 3T...if one of those guys can't help anywhere else on the line, he better be the best 3T we've got or he doesn't fit. (Peen basically said that same thing above.)

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: tru_dawgs
Just my two cents...

Bryant when on the field, always looks and plays like our best lineman...he pushes and flashes more than anyone consistently...However the guy is always injured or dinged up...I mean always

I saw nothing exciting of Cooper the year he was drafted...I know alot of people pimped him...I wanted nothing of him...He does play with solid quickness sometimes at the snap...but wastes that quickness to get taken out of the play often...Seemed to get a little puffy. If the light doesn't come on this year...he'll be gone.

Meder has a really nice motor and is always trying...I like him as a wave guy in our rotation...He just gets neutralized too often to be a starter

Brantley I can't go by much...He is one I would steer away from drafting in round 2 as that was his predicted round...Guy never played alot of snaps, and when in the game had horrible effort and his motor would just quit mid play...However legal trouble and bad tendencies led to him falling to us in round 6...may be only ever a rotation guy even if he steers clear of trouble...

THAT being said Desmond Bryant is our best shot...then again he's also likely to be injured or placed on IR at some point sadly.

Going to have to agree with most of this post. Especially about Cooper. Definitely has a violent and explosive burst, but from there it hasn't seem to get him far. Cooper is on the bubble IMO.

Dawg_LB #1270763 05/10/17 08:34 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c,
I don't get all the love for a player (Cooper), what has he done to warrent such optimism?

[Linked Image]

FL_Dawg #1270775 05/10/17 09:44 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
You never know...possibly with a well rounded and talented DL like ours certain guys with talent all of a sudden show greatness. Its part of being a team.

just an fyi...all depth charts I have seen show Garrett, Shelton, Larry O, Ogbah as our DL. Don't know why just what I've seen. But if Larry O is the real deal that looks good.

The love for Cooper has always been his explosiveness which hasn't given us much but how much is that HIM and not the TEAM in general. Also in the 3-4 he is easily doubled.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

eotab #1270806 05/10/17 01:20 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: eotab
all depth charts I have seen show

...show what some random person on the internet made up on their own.
There are no REAL depth charts as of yet.

As for Cooper, he's an under-the-radar hustle guy. When your team is as devoid of talent as we have been for so long, the hustle guys that keep their heads down and just work become popular.

"Hard Work will win when Talent doesn't want to Work"

Well, now we have Talent that does want to Work.... which means that some of the less talented guys, though they may hustle, will be looking for work.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Just sharing what I've seen...I was actually surprised then it was another and then another. Some big Internet stuff some not.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

eotab #1270890 05/10/17 08:39 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I could state that Bryant was a better 3t with the Raiders, yet was still the best DL and 5t on the team before his injury and I would be speaking the truth.

If you are going to give Cooper the benefit of the doubt for being in the wrong defense, then I think that one must give credit in the same regard to Bryant who was productive under the same circumstance.

[Linked Image]

FL_Dawg #1271109 05/11/17 09:02 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
Just a note here. Not sure what credit I gave Cooper?

But as for Bryant, I agree with the posters here who have stated he has been our best DL since he got here.

My opinion on Bryant now contributing to this team is based not on his history of play but on his age and the fact he has missed a lot of games due to injury and around 2-3 years ended his season on the IR all be it with 2-4 games left.

Those injuries add up combined with the age also with our Youth movement and our 3rd round pick and some depth we have.
I think Bryant could very well be gone.
jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2017 NFL Season 2017 NFL Draft FRONT FOUR!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard