Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
Legend
Legend
E
You two going to go to the table and hit at each other over a meaningless Exec hiring...come on you two, don't get banned for this nonsense, at least get into a heated football thread...lol laugh

Don't want to lose either one of you. wink

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
B
Legend
Legend
B
Not sure who the two is, but I didn't see anything like that.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
Memphis and Pit...just thought it was a meaningless football thread to get so emotional about and risk getting banned. that's all how could you not see???

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

P
Legend
Legend
P
Ah, it's just someone raising a stink over something that "might, eventually happen". Pretty much a nothing burger not deserving of further attention.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Respect both of you two more than you think... wink

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't doubt that. I respect you as well. I just decided not to dwell any further on some future "what if" scenario.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c:

Browns' succession plan: All in the family

When Ross Johnson came home from a Cleveland Indians game last spring, Dee Haslam was pleasantly surprised by her grandson's new attire.

"He comes home literally head to toe in Indians gear, and I said, 'Ross, what happened?' " Haslam said.

Johnson had been a New York Yankees fan, but — much to his grandparents' delight — he had added another Cleveland sports team to his list of favorites.

Another move — this one a bit more serious than a 6-year-old's sports fandom — was announced by the Browns not long after Ross' trip to Progressive Field.

James Wood Johnson III — Ross' father and son-in-law of Browns owners Dee and Jimmy Haslam — would be moving his family to Northeast Ohio and joining the club on a full-time basis July 1.

The move, which was made official almost eight months after CBS Sports reported that JW Johnson had become more involved with the Browns, was hardly a surprise. Still, it was significant, since it signaled the Haslams — 64-year-old Knoxville, Tenn., natives who purchased the Browns from Randy Lerner in 2012 — had a succession plan in place.

That's a sensible decision for any business, let alone an NFL franchise that Forbes estimates is worth $1.95 billion. It's an action, however, that all too often isn't made, said Keven P. Prather, a partner and financial planner with Cleveland-based Skylight Financial Group.

"Most people with extreme wealth don't have effective estate planning in place," Prather said. "You hear about dozens of examples every year."

In just the last few years, the NFL, which bans corporate ownership, has had succession plans that were marred by family drama (the dispute between late New Orleans Saints owner Tom Benson's third wife, Gayle, and Tom's daughter, granddaughter and grandson), an unclear transition (Denver Broncos owner Pat Bowlen, prior to his health declining, said each of his seven children would get an equal share of the team upon his death) and Susie Adams Smith attempting to sell her one-third stake in the Tennessee Titans. Then there are the Carolina Panthers, whose former owner, Jerry Richardson, forced his feuding sons to resign from the team in 2009, then announced he was selling the franchise in 2017, after being accused by several current and former employees of sexual harassment.

It's not as if the Browns, with eight head coaches and nine general managers since returning in 1999, have been a textbook example of stability. But the Haslams believe that John Dorsey, their fourth GM in six years, is the right person to finally get the franchise on track — and that sentiment is shared by many around the league.

The owners took care of another critical piece of business when they officially brought Johnson into the fold. Johnson is married to Whitney Haslam Johnson, the oldest of the Haslams' two daughters and the chief experience officer at their other family business, Pilot Flying J.

"Jimmy and I have always been a part of family businesses," Dee Haslam told Crain's in June. "Most NFL teams are family businesses, so it's very normal to do that."

A succession plan, Haslam said, is "just something you do."

During an interview with the media at Browns training camp July 28, Jimmy Haslam said JW Johnson "will be here 100% of the time. We are here a lot of the time, but not all the time, as you all know."

Johnson spent 15 years as a director and producer for CBS Sports, then had tenures at Pilot Flying J and RIVR Media. In April, Dee Haslam stepped down as the CEO of Knoxville-based RIVR (she remains a partner and executive producer) — a step she said was necessitated by all of the time she is spending in Northeast Ohio.

Johnson also founded 3 Sons Media, a Nashville-based marketing and advertising agency. His bio on the Browns' website says he "works closely with chief operating officer David Jenkins in leading the business side of the organization."

The earlier, the better
Prather, the Skylight Financial Group partner and financial planner, said about 70% of family businesses fail or are sold before the second generation gets a chance to assume control. He applauds the Haslams for putting a succession plan in place so soon.

"Sixty is not too early," Prather said.

An NFL owners guide that was compiled by MMQB in July identified likely successors for 13 of the league's 31 privately held teams. (The Green Bay Packers are the only publicly owned, not-for-profit major sports team that is based in the U.S.)

The Browns weren't among the 13, though their 64-year-old owners are well below the ages of many of their peers in the league.

Ten of the 31 privately held teams have owners who are 75 and up, and 14 are at least 70. That doesn't include the Broncos, who are being run by longtime club president and CEO Joe Ellis until the Bowlen family trust selects a family member to take charge.

Seventeen clubs have owners who are older than the Haslams, and three others (the Buffalo Bills, New York Giants and San Francisco Giants) have at least one member of their primary ownership group in their late 60s.

Dee Haslam said the day-to-day production aspect of RIVR is "what eats you alive." She said scaling back those duties at the production company she owns with partners Rob Lundgren and Lori Golden-Stryer occurred at the "perfect" time.

"Being part of the Browns is something I want to do for a long time," Haslam told Crain's.

Haslam then brought up Martha Firestone Ford, the 92-year-old owner and chairman of the Detroit Lions.

"She's fantastic," Dee Haslam said. "Don't say I'm going to do this until I'm 90, but I hope I'm able to do this for a while. I really enjoy it. And I think we're making progress."

Haslam, whose father, Ross Bagwell Sr., is a cable television industry pioneer, is among eight women with a primary NFL ownership stake, according to the MMQB's analysis. She was appointed to the NFL's conduct committee in December 2014 and serves on the league's legislative committee. Jimmy Haslam was named to the league's social justice committee in January and is part of the league's business ventures, media and Hall of Fame committees.

Dee, who as a child "learned production at the kitchen table," and Jimmy Haslam have taken a crash course in NFL ownership. They "made every mistake in the book, and you learn from that," Dee said in June.

It's much too soon to know if the latest reboot will be as effective as the Haslams and others in and outside the organization believe. Another key plan — one that goes well beyond the playing career of rookie quarterback Baker Mayfield — is also in motion.

"We're really fortunate that JW and Whitney wanted to move up here and be part of something that's so special," Dee Haslam said.

http://www.crainscleveland.com/sports-business/browns-succession-plan-all-family

Tackles are tackles.
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
nationalize the browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
So now we have Thief and Co ! lol

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Haha, JW is just on the media side of things.... notallthere

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Ah, it's just someone raising a stink over something that "might, eventually happen". Pretty much a nothing burger not deserving of further attention.

Lol.

Tackles are tackles.
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

Lol.

Honestly better a son-in-law than a failson. Still the city should just take over the Browns via imminent domain.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg

Lol.

Honestly better a son-in-law than a failson. Still the city should just take over the Browns via imminent domain.

And he is the son of the Jets' owner if I am not mistaken, so we're good.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Quote:
But once again, this guy was hired to do some media BS. It has nothing to do with the team itself.

Yet the haters went straight for the throat without even waiting to find that out. lmao

Rememeber when people said he was just part of the "Media BS" with the Browns?

Tackles are tackles.
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Quote:
But once again, this guy was hired to do some media BS. It has nothing to do with the team itself.

Yet the haters went straight for the throat without even waiting to find that out. lmao

What's the big deal? You act like it's your money

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
P
Legend
Legend
P
Nepotism is a hard thing to beat but it doesn't mean you can't hope for the best.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian
Quote:

What's the big deal? You act like it's your money

Umm, what?

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
He just likes to throw things in people's faces. I'm surprised you didn't get it.

#gmstrong
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

I'm wasting my time but.

WOW.You dug that up from SEPTEMBER?

AWESOME.

And you wonder why soooo much BS exists in these forums.

Some of u guys are pathetic and unreadable.

Congrats Memph.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: kwhip
Quote:

I'm wasting my time but.

WOW.You dug that up from SEPTEMBER?

AWESOME.

And you wonder why soooo much BS exists in these forums.

Some of u guys are pathetic and unreadable.

Congrats Memph.

There is always the ignore function. Use it.

Tackles are tackles.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I have to admit I wondered why it was pushed up.

The guy is Haslams Son-In-_Law. If you were the Son-In-Law of a NFL owner, we would be reading about you being moved to Executive VP.

It's a non starter to me. You don't need to have a vast football knowledge to have a senior VP role with a football team.

Football teams are big business. You don't need to be a oil Barron to run a large company like Exxon. The CEO probably knows little about digging oil wells or how to refine it in to gasoline. You pay geologists, roughnecks, and chemical engineers to figure that out.

The guy does have skills and forged a nice career before this. It's not like he is a moron.

He is being groomed....good for him.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
I meant to bring this thread back up earlier when JW was announced to be part of the search committee. I think the fact people tried to dismiss the intent of why this thread was posted originally was worth pointing out. The BS media downplay was hilarious. I know you suggested at the time this thread was posted that it's a family thing and so it was suspected. I thought the initial title of EVP was curious and now we see why.

He is not part of the media team with the Browns. It was clear to some that this was a big deal a few months ago. Now many more are seeing it.

Tackles are tackles.
A
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
A
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

The guy is Haslams Son-In-_Law. If you were the Son-In-Law of a NFL owner, we would be reading about you being moved to Executive VP.

It's a non starter to me. You don't need to have a vast football knowledge to have a senior VP role with a football team.

Football teams are big business. You don't need to be a oil Barron to run a large company like Exxon. The CEO probably knows little about digging oil wells or how to refine it in to gasoline. You pay geologists, roughnecks, and chemical engineers to figure that out.

The guy does have skills and forged a nice career before this. It's not like he is a moron.

People who think JW Johnson couldn't possibly be a moron didn't bother to read his Twitter feed when the Browns first hired him - BEFORE he deleted the most embarrassing posts. I did. Moronism is a distinct possibility.

But even if JW is not a nepotistic moron, he can still do a lot of damage. Does anybody remember Alec Scheiner? He ran the Browns business operations a few years back. He decided to start breaking down game film and fuss about in player personnel - expand his horizons so to speak.

Scheiner was one of the idiots lobbying behind the scenes to promote a woefully unprepared and irresponsible drunkard Johnny Manziel to starting QB because "Ticket Sales!". Scheiner et al finally had their way and the Browns season went down in flames.

JW Johnson has even more power, both formal and informal, within the Browns organization than Scheiner ever had. He thus has the power to interfere with the Browns and screw things up. Many NFL owners and their jackwagon family members screw up their teams all the time. Refer to the Bengals for a prime example.

Why does anybody assume that the Browns are suddenly exempt from such things happening in Berea?

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: AaigSuckinDawg

People who think JW Johnson couldn't possibly be a moron didn't bother to read his Twitter feed when the Browns first hired him - BEFORE he deleted the most embarrassing posts. I did. Moronism is a distinct possibility.

But even if JW is not a nepotistic moron, he can still do a lot of damage. Does anybody remember Alec Scheiner? He ran the Browns business operations a few years back. He decided to start breaking down game film and fuss about in player personnel - expand his horizons so to speak.

Scheiner was one of the idiots lobbying behind the scenes to promote a woefully unprepared and irresponsible drunkard Johnny Manziel to starting QB because "Ticket Sales!". Scheiner et al finally had their way and the Browns season went down in flames.

JW Johnson has even more power, both formal and informal, within the Browns organization than Scheiner ever had. He thus has the power to interfere with the Browns and screw things up. Many NFL owners and their jackwagon family members screw up their teams all the time. Refer to the Bengals for a prime example.

Why does anybody assume that the Browns are suddenly exempt from such things happening in Berea?

I disagree..

Some of you people are too worked up. You are looking for things to gripe about.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
A
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
A

I disagree..

Some of you people are too worked up. You are looking for things to gripe about.

I understand your take. This is a time of genuine and authentic hope for the Browns. It truly is. So I am quite the Eeyore in all of this.

But all this legitimate hope doesn't mean that everything will be wonderful all of the time. There will be struggles and setbacks and obstacles to overcome. (This is a good thing - it is what will make the Browns truly great.)

One of those obstacles might be the Haslam family. Lately they have been doing a pretty good job. But the Haslams wield tremendous power over the Browns - power that can all too easily be used destructively as they have done in the recent past.

B
Legend
Legend
B
My theory is don't worry about it until you see it happening.

Even then, what can you or I do about it?

I am not worried about JW.

We have seen our owner grow. It's like the question asked of Kitchens being ready to be a head coach...who is ready?

Well, who is ready to own a football team? Lot's of owners struggled early on. Some never grow in the process. At least it looks like ours have.

It's a good thing most of us don't own the team. Talk about meddling...lol

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum JW Johnson named Executive Vice President

Link Copied to Clipboard