Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I think that teams like the Rams, Eagles, Bears, and to a lesser extent--Chiefs have set the precedent of where the smart teams are heading. You take advantage of your rookie QBs first contract and get as many pieces as you can to put around him.

It's very hard to bring in and/or keep players once your qb starts making big money. Guys who have never won anything are making huge money. Stafford, Cousins, Jimmy G, etc. Others like Rodgers and Ryan have cash-strapped their teams.

Let's look at some of the guys the Rams have brought in since they drafted Goff. I am doing this off the top of my head, but they have acquired or given new contracts to guys like Whitworth, Talib, Peters, Cook, Woods, Suj. Sullivan, Sheilds, Easley, Fowler, etc.

I think they have also have given big contracts to Gurley and Donald.

I expect Dorsey to make another big splash in regards to acquiring more talent this off-season.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: devicedawg

No offense to ya'll...
But I don't understand the pessimism, I guess. Do some people actually convince themselves things aren't going to be great to avoid disappointment?

Anything short of hoisting the Lombardi trophy should be considered a failure for this franchise and that's being realistic. I would fully expect 11-13 or more wins next year.

Rookie head coaches make the playoffs all the time. I just don't get it.

I agree to an extent. I think playoffs should be an expectation ... and Div Title should be a reasonable expectation too barring injuries and chronic bad luck.

- Rookie Head Coach Kitchens HAS to be better than the dysfunction of Hue/Haley .... so a positive.
- We won 7 games while losing 2 or 3 games to the refs and incredibly bad luck. . . . we can expect to add a game at least, maybe two.
- We had Tyrod start 2 games last year and I think we all agree Baker is far above what Tyrod brought to the table. As much as I love the individual and his attitude and leadership - Tyrod is a long way behind even Rookie Baker.
- The youth that was mentioned in the original post ... is all going to be a year older and have played together. I think that's a huge positive not a negative.
- It may all come down to Baker ... I see no reason not to expect improvement. PFF had him ranked as the 9th best QB in the NFL in his rookie season. I expect him to stay there or improve some.

YES -- FO change brings some challenges and obstacles that need to be overcome. But please lets not start using it as an excuse. The changes can't take us backwards after what we went through in 2018.

So with that said - what I don't agree with is any team "expecting" to win the Superbowl which requires a good amount of good luck no matter how good your team is through 17 weeks of regular season football.

Last edited by mgh888; 01/15/19 01:44 PM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
Originally Posted By: Jester
I think they should take advantage of the insider information that Baker has about the Oklahoma players coming out. Hey Baker tell us about this guy. What's his personality like? How hard of a worker is he? Etc

I think we should do that with all our players who played with guys in the draft.

Has for asking who we should draft? Heck no

Yep - you said this far better than I did. This is what I had in mind.

Will follow Baker Mayfield pretty much anywhere.
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Originally Posted By: AaigSuckinDawg
Next Steps To A Championship?

Time.

In 2019 the Browns will have a rookie head coach, a new offensive coordinator, a new defensive coordinator, and a new special teams coach.

In 2019 the Browns will still be one of the youngest teams in the NFL and they will be running new or significantly modified playbooks.

In 2019 the Browns will be filling a few major gaps on the roster and will continue adding critical depth to the back end of the roster.

In 2019 the Browns' opponents will have plenty of tape on Baker Mayfield and will take game planning against the Browns more seriously than in the past.

2019 is going to be another "two steps forward, one step back" sort of year. Expect the Browns to fully bloom in 2020 and 2021.

The journey will be great fun.

This is a great post (imo), and deserves to be restated as it is, without any changes or tweaks. I agree with the whole thing, but I agree most with the "2 steps forward, one step back" line. Very true.

I think our first priority is keeping guys we want to keep. For me, that's Robinson and any other Olinemen who's contracts are up. I'm still a believer in Harrison, but you can't let someone that stepped in and performed like Robinson did walk. Can't happen.
Any WRs that spent significant time on the field should be offered a decent contract. I don't think we should break the bank for any one guy in our WR corps, but we should try to keep them here. I believe we risk losing Perriman and Higgins. I would want to keep both, but not for stupid money.
I think we need to keep Kirksey. I'm on board with letting Collins go as long as we have a believable replacement in place (high draft pick or FA).

I think we need to get some depth at corner. It seemed to fall apart too quickly last season when we had a guy go down. Another BBC-type caliber guy. I'm not sure that guy is on the roster right now. One or both of Gaines and Carrie can go as long as we have their replacements in place.

I wouldn't mind going big on a true #1 WR. I think we're in a place where we can do that. I also wouldn't mind going older FA, to give Calloway someone to improve against and ultimately beat out and replace as he rounds into form. I don't think Perriman is that guy, though.... I think he can be a really really good complementary WR.

No offense to ya'll...
But I don't understand the pessimism, I guess. Do some people actually convince themselves things aren't going to be great to avoid disappointment?

Anything short of hoisting the Lombardi trophy should be considered a failure for this franchise and that's being realistic. I would fully expect 11-13 or more wins next year.

100% THIS!!!

1998 Sooners were complete duds and hadn't made a bowl in 5 years.

1999, Stoops' first year, finished 8-5 or something like that. Everyone know good times were in store.

2000. National Championship. And perennial contenders ever since.

The team attitude and culture and discipline was the main thing that needed to change.

Browns have that happening.

It is now safe to start thinking big about next season and every season thereafter!

Will follow Baker Mayfield pretty much anywhere.
Legend
Legend

Regarding the Next Step to a Championship this is important:

https://www.draftace.com/2019/01/14/aggressive-approach-defines-todd-monkens-offense/

The article points out with facts what Monken and Freddie will be working on and why it is important.

Interesting.

Legend
Legend
Step 1: re-sign our guys that were contributors
Step 2: we need to get bigger, better, faster at LB, DT, CB, TE, WRStep Step 3: we need to begin building more depth
Step 4: you need some luck, and you have to take care of the things you can control

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
I think that teams like the Rams, Eagles, Bears, and to a lesser extent--Chiefs have set the precedent of where the smart teams are heading. You take advantage of your rookie QBs first contract and get as many pieces as you can to put around him.

This is a recent development in team-building strategy, and would not be possible were it not for the latest CBA. Rookie salary cap makes this possible... and I consider it an improvement for the league.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

It's very hard to bring in and/or keep players once your qb starts making big money. Guys who have never won anything are making huge money. Stafford, Cousins, Jimmy G, etc. Others like Rodgers and Ryan have cash-strapped their teams.

Let's look at some of the guys the Rams have brought in since they drafted Goff. I am doing this off the top of my head, but they have acquired or given new contracts to guys like Whitworth, Talib, Peters, Cook, Woods, Suj. Sullivan, Sheilds, Easley, Fowler, etc.

I think they have also have given big contracts to Gurley and Donald.

I expect Dorsey to make another big splash in regards to acquiring more talent this off-season.

Counter that with teams with Brees, Brady, Rothschild, Flacco, Rogers, Wilson, Peyton.

QBs with huge contracts and Lombardi Raisers.

We COULD LOAD UP for 3 years. Be interesting to see what KING DORSEY & "IF YOU DON'T WEAR BROWN AND ORANGE, YOU DON'T MATTER" Kitchens do.

A
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
A

No offense to ya'll...

I don't think my post was especially pessimistic. I outlined the various obstacles that face the 2019 Browns. Those obstacles are real and will require sacrifice and struggle to overcome. Things won't go as smoothly as we all hope in this time of giddy optimism that we all share.

I think the Browns can win 10+ games in 2019, despite all the obstacles. That might not sound like a lot of wins, but given the Browns recent track record, 10+ represents tremendous improvement. Winning 10 or more games in an NFL season is incredibly hard.

That said, I remain a pessimist in this one regard. My standard of excellence for an NFL franchise is to have back-to-back seasons of 10 or more regular season wins and at least one playoff win. The Browns haven't done this since '86 and '87 - over 30 years ago. Until the Browns once again reach this mark, they remain a clownshow.

Yeah, that's right. Clownshow until proven.... PROVEN... otherwise. Only wins are proof. All our feel good feelings and hope and optimism and the Browns' positive direction are not proof.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Regarding the Next Step to a Championship this is important:

https://www.draftace.com/2019/01/14/aggressive-approach-defines-todd-monkens-offense/

The article points out with facts what Monken and Freddie will be working on and why it is important.

Interesting.

EXCELLENT ARTICLE.

Good find, Dawg.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K

No offense to ya'll...

I don't think my post was especially pessimistic. I outlined the various obstacles that face the 2019 Browns. Those obstacles are real and will require sacrifice and struggle to overcome. Things won't go as smoothly as we all hope in this time of giddy optimism that we all share.

I think the Browns can win 10+ games in 2019, despite all the obstacles. That might not sound like a lot of wins, but given the Browns recent track record, 10+ represents tremendous improvement. Winning 10 or more games in an NFL season is incredibly hard.

That said, I remain a pessimist in this one regard. My standard of excellence for an NFL franchise is to have back-to-back seasons of 10 or more regular season wins and at least one playoff win. The Browns haven't done this since '86 and '87 - over 30 years ago. Until the Browns once again reach this mark, they remain a clownshow.

Yeah, that's right. Clownshow until proven.... PROVEN... otherwise. Only wins are proof. All our feel good feelings and hope and optimism and the Browns' positive direction are not proof.

Diam. Oh DIAM. We got another doubter.

COME GET SOME, DAWG.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
ATM .. I believe we will be around 8 - 8 to 9 - 6. We had some bad luck with referees, calls, and kicks, but we also caught the Bengals with a lot of their starters out due to injuries. I know that injuries are part of the game, but so are blind as a bat referees .. As Vers always points out, we may improve in FA and in the draft, but so will a lot of teams .. We will see how it goes, but this is a large part of why I wanted to stick with the coaches who got us this far. It should be interesting ...

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
A
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
A
Originally Posted By: kwhip

Diam. Oh DIAM. We got another doubter.

COME GET SOME, DAWG.

Ooof. Please. Can't you find somebody else to take me down? Somebody who writes coherent sentences in English? I am a fuddy duddy who finds his stuff hard to read.

Legend
Legend

Thanks.

I thought the article made some key points

T
Legend
Legend
T
Next Steps To A Championship?

Time.

In 2019 the Browns will have a rookie head coach, a new offensive coordinator, a new defensive coordinator, and a new special teams coach.

In 2019 the Browns will still be one of the youngest teams in the NFL and they will be running new or significantly modified playbooks.

In 2019 the Browns will be filling a few major gaps on the roster and will continue adding critical depth to the back end of the roster.

In 2019 the Browns' opponents will have plenty of tape on Baker Mayfield and will take game planning against the Browns more seriously than in the past.

2019 is going to be another "two steps forward, one step back" sort of year. Expect the Browns to fully bloom in 2020 and 2021.

The journey will be great fun.

So it's not even next year, and your saying, wait until the """""NEXT" year, rolleyes

Gotta love a franchise that (almost) never makes the playoffs, and, Are they really doing everything they can, to win?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
A
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
A
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG

So it's not even next year, and your saying, wait until the """""NEXT" year, rolleyes

Gotta love a franchise that (almost) never makes the playoffs, and, Are they really doing everything they can, to win?

Re-read the thread.

I stated further on after that original post that I expect the Browns to win at least 10 games in 2019. Ten wins would very likely put the Browns in the playoffs, though not necessarily the Super Bowl.

My point is that the Browns still have some maturation and development ahead of them. I think they will be a pretty good team next year. But I don't think that they will be an elite team. Multi-year Superbowl contention starts in 2020.

Why is everyone so impatient? It has been over three decades since the Browns were considered top-of-the-league elite for multiple years in a row.

We've all waited for over 30 years. What's just one more?

B
Legend
Legend
B

Re-read the thread.

I stated further on after that original post that I expect the Browns to win at least 10 games in 2019. Ten wins would very likely put the Browns in the playoffs, though not necessarily the Super Bowl.

My point is that the Browns still have some maturation and development ahead of them. I think they will be a pretty good team next year. But I don't think that they will be an elite team. Multi-year Superbowl contention starts in 2020.

Why is everyone so impatient? It has been over three decades since the Browns were considered top-of-the-league elite for multiple years in a row.

I agree. Worst to First doesn't happen very often. It is usually a process that happens over 2-3 years..

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Re-read the thread.

I agree. Worst to First doesn't happen very often. It is usually a process that happens over 2-3 years..

We took the first step already - last to 3rd place (in the AFCN). Last to middle of the pack (with the draft position).

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Re-read the thread.

Worst to first happens more often than you'd think in today's NFL. So does 3rd to 1st,

The Jaguars and Eagles went worst to 1st last year, with the Eagles winning it all.

Injuries and adding or losing a key player here or there can change a team overnight. The NFL is set up to bunch the teams together in parity. That discourages dynasties .... though, obviously, the Pats are a huge exception.

However, bad teams can turn around in a heartbeat. The Rams are another team that went from "They suck" and "Their QB is a bust", to Super Bowl contenders with the hiring of McVay.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
O
Legend
Legend
O
I agree.

Device,
I wouldn't call it pessimism. I'm very optimistic, but held in check by being realistic. We saw a couple times throughout the season how we're thin/hurting at certain positions which really hampered the team. I had a WR or two go down which left us scrambling. We had a corner or two go down which left us scrambling. Teams that realistically have a shot at a championship not only have enough good starters, but they also have depth to handle injuries (they happen to everyone).

I think we're too reliant on luck. We need another 1-2 good offseasons to round out this team. In the meantime, we need to learn to beat good teams, or at least be able to hang (ex. the KC and SD games).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
E
Legend
Legend
E
What I think is funny, media thinks DePodesta left with Sashi I wish we could get a true account of DePodesta and his status with the Browns along with responsibilities. Who does he answer to? Dorsey?

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend

NFL - Super Bowl LIV (2020) winner

LAR 6/1
KC 7/1
NO 8/1
NE 10/1
LAC, Chi 12/1
Pit 14/1
Min, GB 16/1
Phi, Dal, Bal, Ind 20/1
Sea, Atl, Cle, Hou, Jax 30/1
NYG, Car, SF 40/1
TB, Ten 60/1
Den 80/1
Wsh, Det, NYJ, Buf, Cin, Oak, Ari 100/1
Mia 300/1

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Next Steps To A Championship

Link Copied to Clipboard