Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
Legend
Legend
F
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
What you are willfully ignoring is this:

None of these extraordinary measures would be required if GOP election officials simply did right by their citizens. Name me one legitimate reason for closing polling stations in specific, targeted locations. If it's to save costs, why is there not an equitable closing of stations ALL OVER THE STATE? Why is it that counties outside Alabama's 'Black Belt' have suffered no such hardships? Why are certain citizens required to jump through new and ever-tightening hoops, while others can vote just like they Granddaddies did?

You see, all of this extra talk about how easy it is to re-register or vote by mail is obfuscation. Subterfuge. More camouflage to obscure the truth: voting is becoming harder for certain American citizens while others are being spared the hardships.

And guess who those burdened citizens are? Yup. Same ones as always.
And guess when all this started back up? Yup... right after the supremes rescinded portions of the Voting Rights Act which placed rogue states under supervision for unfair practices. And where is all this happening? Yup- the very states who forced the VRA in the first place. Some of those states already had legislation drafted and waiting for the ruling to come down. 3 of those states acted withing 8 hours of the ruling. They couldn't wait to roll back voting to 1963.

And by the way: pointing out unfair/inconsistent practices isn't crying. It's being an American. The din you hear? It will never cease, it will never subside. So long as villains attempt to subvert democracy, there will be people like me with bull horns, pointing it out. I marched as a little kid, and these old feet still work. I'll march again. Because I am an American citizen with a spine, a healthy soul, and a moral compass.

your mileage obviously varies.

If they are going to close polling locations, they should do so equally, using the same criteria across all districts to determine a needed or un-needed polling location.

But without knowing the number of voters who turn out at each location, along with the number of people to staff those locations and any additional costs/fees (lease, rent, equipment cost, etc) to run them, it is difficult to claim they did so for nefarious reasons, even though it may appear that way.

None of us on the outside can make a factual theory.

I also feel there should be some sort of system to help voters with transportation issues get to the polls, whether that be public or some sort of charitable system to accomplish such a task.

Last edited by FloridaFan; 09/11/19 03:03 PM.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't really disagree with your theory, but it doesn't really change the ramifications of the actions taken. Even if it isn't done for nefarious reasons, the results of the actions taken are quite clear. And I'm quite sure those that chose to take such actions knew the ramifications of their actions.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING
I read in the past where some of these "forced" polling places had only a handful of voters ever show up at great expense to the local Counties and States.

One guy even tried to sue because their wasn't a handicap ramp at one of the converted cabins used for voting.

Let me ask you, has anyone been denied the Right to Vote?
Nope.

Anyone ever hear of Absentee Balloting? Just send it in.

But, on an emotional, unthinking basis, allow me to add...

Lions and Tigers and Racists oh my!

This wins it for the most uninformed post of the year

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I wish that it would be as difficult to obtain a gun as it would be to vote..

Yep they are both constitutional rights, but enforced completely differently.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

V
Legend
Legend
V
One reasonable post. Kudos to you.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Yes, my response to him wasn't a reasonable response and now you're the self appointed post assessment police.

Get that BS out of here.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Gerrymandering at it’s finest. This is the only way the GOP can win. Cheat.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Southern states have closed hundreds of polling places since Supreme Court decision: civil rights group

Link Copied to Clipboard