Print Thread
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't tik tok. I don't understand the fascination. Some of the videos are cute, but after 3 minutes I am more than voer it.

As to the video you posted, I found 2 takeaway points:

1, we shouldn't be looking to restrict the data transfer/sharing by tik tok. We should be limiting the data transfer/sharing by all companies.

2, The proposed legislation geared towards moderating tik tok is written in a way that allows it to be abused and wielded as a weapon by the government to control pretty much any company that wants to operate in the US

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
I've been following this.. that is about as articulate response as I've seen. Not a lot there to disagree with... don't think the shots at Fox News were particularly necessary though, that kind of cheapened it a little for me. Not because it isn't true, it just seems unnecessary.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
tik tok neesd to be banned. the fact that it is not is concerning.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
A progressive is concerned about big government?

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
F
Legend
Legend
F
If they warn you and you continue, then it's on you. Tik Tok is no worse than any other social media, they all collect data on people and sell it to the anyone willing to pay.

Worse thing that could happen is that China realizes how vain and moronic most American's are.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Worse thing that could happen is that China realizes how vain and moronic most American's are.

Oh, I think they already realize that. They continue to exploit us and take advantage of us while the Left turns a blind eye.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog

Oh, I think they already realize that. They continue to exploit us and take advantage of us while the Left turns a blind eye.

Not a divisive comment that blames only one side for a perceived problem/fault. Glad to see you practice what you preach relentlessly.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
S
All Pro
All Pro
S
I think people have completely misunderstood the threat that TikTok presents and this "solution" is therefore completely missing the mark.

I agree with the idea that China can already capture all of this user data or just purchase it outright from many U.S. based companies that would be more than happy to sell it to them.

In my opinion, the problem with TikTok is that it is designed to take advantage of everything we know about making media addictive to a large demographic and like all modern social media, it does so with an AI engine that personalizes the feed for each user so that they can maximize time spent on the platform. This addiction problem alone is a problem that needs to be dealt with across all social media companies.
With TikTok, you can also then layer on top of that the problem that an addicted and captive audience is then suggestible to propaganda from China, but is China anymore likely to deploy harmful propaganda than the many corporations that are constantly after our minds and dollars? China is not the only threat we face in this world. Their are plenty of domestic companies and powerful people that would gladly allow the minds of your children to be enslaved if it made them more rich and powerful.

What we have is a problem of addiction, social media having become one of the most addictive products with some of the most impactful consequences, and we aren't doing anything about it because corporations benefit from captive consumers and our government has never been more heavily influenced by corporate interests than it is in the modern era.

We used to actually fight addictions in the interest of public health. In the 80s and 90s we actually took money from the sale of cigarettes and started campaigns to reduce the amount of cigarettes that were consumed. We had programs like DARE to educate children on addiction and drugs, before they became teenagers. Now, we don't care about any of that. Nicotine use is increasing again. Drug use is increasing. Gambling is being legalized in more forms in more places. More people are addicted to prescription drugs than ever before. And we even have companies that have scientifically studied how to make their packaged foods as addictive as possible.

It has never been harder to raise children and keep them away from unhealthy, addicitive products than it is right now because your kid gets addicted to TikTok where the chip company pushes their addictive new variety of chips. Then they sit around on TikTok, eating chips, getting fatter and becoming diabetic by the time they are 12. Then we put them on the Ozempic, which is now approved for children, and keep them on that for a lifetime at the cost of thousands per year.

We need to get back to combating addictive and unhealthy behaviors and products.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Interesting take.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by mgh888
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog

Not a divisive comment that blames only one side for a perceived problem/fault. Glad to see you practice what you preach relentlessly.

It's "eating popcorn worthy" watching him do exactly what he accuses others of. But it's been a very long time pattern. Nothing really new about it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by s003apr
We need to get back to combating addictive and unhealthy behaviors and products.

I agree with some but not all of the post - but I am curious. In your post you've suggested "we" need to get back to combatting unhealthy behaviors and products. In another post it's been suggested we need to identify troubled individuals and help treat them and also limit the time children are raised without adult interaction and supervision.... in another post people are commenting on big government and government interferences. So who is the "We" that does these things? What is the mechanism and entity for combating unhealthy behavior an identifying who is troubled? Who finances the treatment and support for those folks. Who monitors children's time with adults and what if done if recommendations are not met?

These are worthwhile goals. They are highly commendable goals - they will improve the lives of many. Hell - you mentioned kids eating chips and getting fat - just some directive and effort to eat healthy and reduce obesity would change millions of lives ..... but the problem is what the actual solution is, who runs it and how it is financed. And one person's definition of an action plan that is worthwhile and beneficial to the greater good is another person's "Bleeding Hearts Crying and looking to place blame".

The more things change the more they stay the same.
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Let me address this a different way. TikTok is being hyped as a threat. I see what they are saying and why… but I can tell you for a fact, Xi doesn’t care about your crappy little lives, what you had for lunch, or rather or not you like the sea shanty song and dance. The only possible useful info is the same kind of tracking being done by every major company on the planet. They track the crap that helps them sell you more crap. Period.

Right-wing cesspools like 4chan are way more harmful than TikTok could EVER be. But I digress, let me put some things in perspective for those who buy into this. Everything about you is already all over the web. With enough money and time, you can glean info on anyone from the web. And you can do it a hell of a lot easier and cheaper than building and operating a social media platform. China has world class hackers working 24/7 in their military, just like Putin and the US. A TikTok honeypot for average user info would be completely useless for anything beyond economic business research data. Or trending data. China doesn’t create the content, users do.

The real threat to the powers that be is losing control of the narrative. You can’t create false scarcity, propaganda, and misinformation when regular people around the world can communicate openly in a town square platform. THIS IS WHY TWITTER WAS AGGRESSIVELY ATTACKED, and ultimately dismantled by an elite. The spaces that allow unregulated information exchange is the real threat. AI, Big Social Media, and TikTok are all under the same assault by disinformation campaigns formulated to accomplish and maintain control of the narrative. Freedom of the press, freedom of speech my ass. Those are just fairytales for the powers that be.

I’ve been seeing a lot of fear mongering about tech recently, from wanting to regulate social media companies, wanting to ban tiktok, wanting to STOP AI advancement, etc. And most of it is uneducated factless BS by people pushing an agenda. You see, these are places where the absolute control of information by the powers that be break down and people can actually exchange facts. Since Elon killed twitter, these places are the last bastions of information freedom that can not be easily manipulated by the elite. 90% of the AI bashing going on is factless. And I’m convinced that beyond a few well know AI scientists, these fear mongering attacks on tech are 100% designed to maintain that same narrative control and to keep the tech from empowering people. ChastGPT 4 is a game changer, and it made them all crap their pants. Imagine having a unbiased genius in your pocket to help you navigate every problem. That potential scares the hell out of them. A society that is free at that level doesn’t really need a government like we have today…

As a good example of this, CNN put out a hit piece on TikTok videos. They attacked the musician REN’s song ‘Hi Ren’ as promoting suicide with a 2-3 second clip in the middle. REN put out a response on his channel, check it out. But that’s the most ridiculous thing I ever saw. Most of the examples they cited were people trying to help those feeling that way. This total lack of research and fact finding on CNNs part made it obvious this is agenda backed propaganda being put out by those who are clueless. Nope. This is the same ole same ole fear mongering, creating boogie men, and pointing fingers while they slip us all the big D. And unless you like the feeling of receiving that, you shoulldn’t support this banning and canning of your freedom, and quite possibly the last chance you have to NOT be subjugated and placed into servitude to the corporate profit machines and whims of the elite.

Anybody buying that all these post epidemic financial struggles are real for the elite is lying to themselves. This is 100% manipulation to regain domination of YOUR personal economy and information sources. And honestly, you could probably track the firings of Don Lemon and Tucker Carlson back to the same elite sources, trying to regain total control. Everybody better get WOKE on this one.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 05/04/23 02:00 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
There is part of me that wants to suggest that Facebook is hoping (lobbying) that TicToc is made illegal.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Originally Posted by WooferDawg
There is part of me that wants to suggest that Facebook is hoping (lobbying) that TicToc is made illegal.

I think TikTok is American based big social medias fall guy. Punishing TikTok takes the heat off those companies and they will get in bed with world governments to remain powerful, so… a sacrificial lamb distraction is needed. Yet we know without a doubt both facebook and twitter worked with political propagandists in the last few election cycles, thereby putting their deep pocketed fingers on the scale.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 05/04/23 03:34 PM.
1 member likes this: FATE
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Big Government gone too far?

Link Copied to Clipboard