Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
First, how is that “news?”

Second, if you have to pívot tonsaying he was found guilty in a criminal trial vs a civil trial, you already lost the argument. He was found to have committed sexual assault. It was by a preponderance if the evidence where a jury calculated that he owed $83.3M.

I don’t care any which way you look at it, that’s bad.

Also a lot of deflection on their part too.

That discussion actually kind of angers me the more I think about it. She mentions the verdict and then they basically say “yeah but he wasn’t found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt” as a retort. Yeah, and OJ wasn’t found guilty of murder so he didn’t kill his ex wife…

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
They will minimize, victim shame or use any means necessary in an attempt to mitigate anything and everything trump has done or will do. They have given up on everything they used to stand for like personal responsibility or personal accountability. It's like they did with supporting the police. They support them except for on Jan. 6th. Now that call those found guilty of assaulting the police hostages.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Wasn't sure which thread to put this in and didn't want to start a new one for this, so it ended up here:

NBC News

More than $27M in Trump campaign fundraising went to legal costs in the last six months of 2023
Bridget Bowman and Katherine Doyle and Ben Kamisar
Wed, January 31, 2024 at 11:35 PM EST·3 min read

WASHINGTON — Former President Donald Trump’s affiliated committees spent about $27 million on lawyers’ bills and related legal fees in the last six months of 2023, new federal election filings show, bringing the total for a year that included four separate indictments to almost $50 million.

Trump’s political fundraising apparatus is sprawling, but the new filings show that the price of lawyers is weighing him down. Still, Trump, the GOP presidential front-runner, has seized on the legal cases against him as a potent fundraising tool, with his booking in a Georgia election case giving him what his campaign said was a record single-day haul.

Save America PAC, one of the groups Trump uses to raise money, spent $24.3 million on “legal consulting” in the last six months of 2023, according to federal election filings. That includes payments to firms that include lawyers like John Lauro, who is representing Trump in the case related to his effort to overturn the 2020 election; Todd Blanche, who also represents Trump in the New York hush money case; and Alina Habba, who represents Trump in the defamation case filed against him by author E. Jean Carroll and has appeared at his criminal arraignments.

While the Save America PAC raised $36 million over the last six months, $30 million came across six monthly payments from Make America Great Again Inc., a Trump-affiliated super PAC. While Save America helped provide early funding for MAGA Inc. when it launched at the beginning of Trump’s presidential bid, it appears that much of that money has been returned to Save America, which has been the primary vehicle for paying Trump’s legal fees. In the first six months of 2023, Save America PAC took more than $12 million from MAGA Inc.

Save America ended the year with just $5 million in cash banked away after having spent $35.2 million in total in the second half of 2023, almost as much as it raised.

On top of the legal spending from Save America, another Trump-affiliated group, the Make America Great Again PAC (which, under federal law, Trump raises money toward, and he can say how the money is used) spent $2.4 million on additional legal consulting in the second half of 2023.

Trump’s committees previously reported having spent more than $20 million on legal fees in the first half of 2023.

Both groups also reimbursed another company, which handles campaign finance compliance and prepares disclosures for the campaign, millions more for legal fees. It was not clear whether those legal fees were associated with complying with federal campaign finance law or with investigations into Trump's effort to overturn the 2020 election.

A fund to cover the legal fees for some of Trump’s aides raised more than $1.6 million from July to December, according to its filing. Known as the Patriot Legal Defense Fund, it does not contribute toward Trump’s legal expenses.

The filings show the brunt of the financial weight of Trump’s legal defense across four criminal cases, including two indictments related to his efforts to overturn his 2020 presidential election loss and one over his handling of classified documents after he left the White House. He also has been the subject of a civil fraud lawsuit in Manhattan related to his business.

Trump’s legal woes have also taken him off of the campaign trail and into courtrooms, monopolizing resources and diverting him with legal brawls.

Trump’s rival for the Republican nomination, Nikki Haley, has attacked Trump over his legal spending, posting on X this week, “He can’t beat Joe Biden if he’s spending all his time and money on court cases and chaos.”

Haley has continued to raise money despite early losses to Trump in Iowa and New Hampshire, even as he threatens to blacklist her donors.

This article was originally published on NBCNews.com

https://www.yahoo.com/news/more-27m-trump-campaign-fundraising-043515287.html

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Yes and I read it was 30 million. I considered opening a thread about trump's legal problems. You know, with 91 criminal counts in four separate cases it's an ongoing thing with updates all the time. But of course when you point those things out they make it sound as if pointing these things out makes it your issue rather than holding trump accountable. They try to make it sound as if you should just be quiet about it because they don't want to hear it. As if reporting the news about the GOP front runner that we all know will get the GOP nomination isn't news.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Spending all the GOP super pac money. Lol can’t think of a better place to waste their money than paying trumps legal fees. Maybe he’ll use what’s left paying off his victims of sexual assault and hush money he’s probably still dolling out. GOPers money. Lol.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
O
Legend
Legend
O
The dupes don’t care what Donny does with his ill gotten gains.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Seems to me that using campaign money for a non campaign purposes should be illegal
Some loophole?

If he uses campaign money for the Jan 6 trial, does that not prove that his actions that day was campaign related and not officcial precidential action?

Legend
Legend
Considering US tax payers gives a pos like trump $223k annually almost makes me puke.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I don't think it's illegal because it doesn't come from his official campaign fund. It comes from a su·per PAC. So I suppose you could label that a loophole.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
1, It should be illegal. Campaign money whether from his official campaign of a super PAC, should have to be used directly toeards the campaign.
That money was either donated directly for that purpose or as a way to elicit favors down the road.
This is not a republican or democrat thing to me, but both.

2, What kind of dupe does someone need to be give money to trump or one of his super PACS?
A self proclaimed billionaire who needs his legal bills paid by people who have trouble paying their electric bill?
Unless you are a multimillionaire getting some kind of political favor in return... why would you?
JMO

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I don't actually disagree with you just telling you the loophole that allows for it. I think super PAC's themselves should be done away with. And yes, that same loophole exists for both parties.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
The dupes don’t seem to give a damn, so why should I. Personally, I think almost everything the man does is atrocious, but it’s not my money he’s stealing.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I don't actually disagree with you just telling you the loophole that allows for it. I think super PAC's themselves should be done away with. And yes, that same loophole exists for both parties.

I get that.
I think most of us can agree that there should be campaign finance reform

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Trump secures $91 million bond for judgment in E. Jean Carroll defamation case

The former president also filed a notice of appeal in the case.

Former President Donald Trump has secured a $91,630,000 bond for the judgment in his defamation case brought by the writer E. Jean Carroll.

The former president obtained an appeals bond from the Virginia-based Federal Insurance Company totaling $91,630,000 to cover the $83 million judgment in the case plus interest, according to a court filing Friday morning.

Trump on Friday also filed a notice of appeal of the judgment to the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. Either paying the judgment or posting a bond for the judgment's full amount was required for him to move ahead with the appeal.

"President Trump respectfully requests that this Court recognize the supersedeas bond obtained by President Trump in the sum of $91,630,000.00 and approve it as adequate and sufficient to stay the enforcement of the Judgment, to the extent that the Judgment awards damages, pending the ultimate disposition of President Trump's appeal," Trump attorney Alina Habba said in Friday's filing.

In a statement to ABC News, Habba said they are confident that their appeal will result in the judgment being overturned.

"Due to the numerous prejudicial errors made at the lower level, we are highly confident that the Second Circuit will overturn this egregious judgment," Habba said.

The conditions of the bond did not specify what assets Trump used to secure the bond.

By posting a bond, Trump guaranteed that Carroll can collect the judgment if the former president exhausts his appeal, former federal prosecutor Josh Naftalis told ABC News.

The appeal process could take more than a year, Naftalis said. Trump is still appealing the $5 million judgment a jury awarded to Carroll last May after determining the former president had sexually abused her.

The former president in January was ordered to pay $83.3 million in damages to Carroll, a former Elle magazine columnist, for defaming her in 2019 when he denied her allegation that he sexually abused her in the dressing room of a Manhattan department store in the 1990s. Trump, who said Carroll was "totally lying" and that she was "not my type," has denied all wrongdoing.

On Thursday, the judge overseeing the case denied Trump's request for a temporary delay of the penalties.

"Mr. Trump's current situation is a result of his own dilatory actions," Judge Lewis Kaplan wrote in his order Thursday. "He has had since January 26 to organize his finances with the knowledge that he might need to bond this judgment, yet he waited until 25 days after the jury verdict ... to file his prior motion for an unsecured or partially secured stay pending resolution of post-trial motions."

Kaplan said that Trump failed to show how the judgment constitutes an "irreparable injury" or demonstrate the expenses he faces by posting a bond in the case.

"The expense of ongoing litigation in the absence of a stay does not constitute 'irreparable injury' in the relevant sense of that term," Kaplan wrote.

The judge on Friday took note of Trump’s bond but declined to immediately stay enforcement of the judgment pending appeal, until he hears from Carroll.

If she opposes the arrangements, the judge said he will hear oral arguments on Monday.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/trump-sec...vmQh8qFd2fzY7VB5u_045upQPl4oAnZH54aiTzIw

#gmstrong
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
And of course drumpf came out in Georgia and lied some more about Carroll. He is one dumb sob.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...arroll-made-false-accusations-rcna142637

Despite being found liable for attack, Trump claims E. Jean Carroll made 'false accusations' against him
The former president is appealing two civil court losses after he was found liable for sexually abusing and then defaming the writer.

March 10, 2024, 1:45 AM EST
By Jake Traylor, Dennis Romero and Lindsey Pipia
ROME, Georgia — Former President Donald Trump on Saturday reiterated his claim that writer E. Jean Carroll had levied “false accusations” against him, even as similar remarks have resulted in large court judgments against him.

Speaking at a Georgia campaign rally that represented Trump’s pivot toward the general election as he seeks to prevent a second loss to Democratic President Joe Biden, Trump reiterated a number of grievances, Carroll’s civil court victories among them.

“I just posted a $91 million bond, $91 million on a fake story, totally made-up story,” he said, referencing the bond he posted this week as he appeals a defamation verdict against him.

“Ninety-one million based on false accusations made about me by a woman that I knew nothing about, didn’t know, never heard of, I know nothing about her,” he continued.

“She wrote a book, she said things,” Trump told the raucous crowd in Rome, about 70 miles northeast of Atlanta. “And when I denied it, I said, ‘It’s so crazy. It’s false.’ I get sued for defamation. That’s where it starts.”

At issue for Trump has been Carroll’s allegation that he raped her during an encounter in the dressing room of a New York department store in the 1990s and then defamed her by calling her account a “hoax” and a “con job.”

In May, a jury did not find Trump liable for the alleged rape but awarded Carroll $5 million after finding the former president liable for sexually abusing and defaming her.

A separate case focused on similar comments Trump made about Carroll while in office and concluded he defamed her when casting doubt on her story. U.S. District Judge Lewis Kaplan said that case would be about determining damages — later adjudged to be $83.3 million — as the abuse was factual.

Trump is appealing both cases.

The judgments did not appear to dissuade him from returning to his denials of her account. On Saturday, Trump said that Carroll “is not a believable person” and that Kaplan — whom he called “a terrible person, a terrible judge” and “highly corrupt” — knows as much.

Trump blamed “Democratic operatives” for his defamation woes, and called the city where he and his father bought, sold, traded and developed real estate projects for the better part of a century a crooked metropolis.

“New York is a very corrupt place,” Trump said.

It did not appear Carroll had responded to Trump’s latest denials of her story as of early Sunday.

Jake Traylor

O
Legend
Legend
O
Her lawyer will keep reminding Trump, don’t worry. The next one will be over 100 million because Trump can’t help but to lie about everything.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 03/10/24 07:41 PM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial

Link Copied to Clipboard