Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
christy #367821 03/26/09 04:57 AM
R
Administrator
Administrator
R
Quote:

Just so that I and others have it straight once and for all...will using the phrase "Jesus Christ" get you banned? Yes or no?

No. It is not profanity.

I know some will argue the audience example I just gave above but again we look at the times it is used on here and in what context.

christy #367822 03/26/09 04:59 AM
R
Administrator
Administrator
R
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

.i.e. 'effin,...gal durn,....SOB, ASSume, gashdummit,....why are ANY of these "allowed?"

effin is NOT allowed. All of the others are fine.

How can "effin" not be allowed, but WTF is? Both are variations of the F word.

Because we kicked it around a few years ago and decided it was one we would let pass because lots of folks type it naturally. (wtf that is)

"effin" is a clear variation of the f-bomb that we originally had to eliminate from the unmoderated board many moons ago. It is masked profanity.

mac #367823 03/26/09 05:03 AM
R
Administrator
Administrator
R
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

.i.e. 'effin,...gal durn,....SOB, ASSume, gashdummit,....why are ANY of these "allowed?"

Christy, refs....see, this is the problem, board members are not mind readers and what one ref may allow, another might not.

Best way to solve the problem...just list what is not allowed. Abbreviate when necessary but list the words that are not allowed....or....expand your software capability to block every word that is not allowed.

Or people could choose their words properly when they post, as you do? I don't recall you using masked profanity in your posts mac, you use words from the english language, and that is all that is being asked and that is all that was ever asked.

We shouldn't have to put "m@therf@kkor" in the word filter because people should never type it on here. It's that simple, there is no mind-reading involved.

R
Administrator
Administrator
R
Quote:

I'm not trying to get my "pet" cuss word validated. I know I've used it in the past on here without incident. Whether is was because it wasn't seen by a ref, or it wasn't a big deal was the question.

I don't typically use it in a normal post, but when you're in a game thread during the game, or in a thread while watching the Cavs/Tribe as well, sometimes your emotions get going. Therefore you get a little upset. It's not like I go around posting in your average discussion thread "Cheese n rice! You don't know a damn thing about NFL football."

Just a question. Simple answers are fine. No need for a religious lecture or multiple paragraphs on it. That is what this forum is for, right?

So basically no masked profanity or anything that sounds close to profanity. Except ass. Apparently that is allowed.

That's it in a nutshell, and yes there are going to be times where we miss things. Missing things has always been a pet peeve of mine because when things are missed others see them and deem them as being acceptable. "Well, so-and-so posted #%^*)!%^ and it was not removed from the board so that means I can use it too!!"

Then the next time it is seen and removed that person is disappointed at their post removal and confused as to why it happened, since someone else was "allowed" to use it.

Let's try to keep in mind the original spirit and intent of the rule and not get caught up in what-ifs. If there is a problem, ask in here and we will give an answer if we haven't already sent you a PM beforehand. We could break this down perpetually asking "what about this word and this word?"

There is no need for that. The original post that prompted this discussion was because a blatantly masked word was used. Don't do that and 99 times out of 100 there won't be a problem.

Referee1 #367825 03/26/09 09:11 AM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Christy, refs....see, this is the problem, board members are not mind readers and what one ref may allow, another might not.

Best way to solve the problem...just list what is not allowed. Abbreviate when necessary but list the words that are not allowed....or....expand your software capability to block every word that is not allowed.

Or people could choose their words properly when they post, as you do? I don't recall you using masked profanity in your posts mac, you use words from the english language, and that is all that is being asked and that is all that was ever asked.

We shouldn't have to put "m@therf@kkor" in the word filter because people should never type it on here. It's that simple, there is no mind-reading involved.

All I'm saying is, IF the board wrote down (listed) what is not allowed then there is no discussion and no guessing about what is allowable.

I agree, there is no need to curse or suggest cursing to make a point but it does happen.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #367826 03/26/09 09:39 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

All I'm saying is, IF the board wrote down (listed) what is not allowed then there is no discussion and no guessing about what is allowable.

If you stop and think about it for a moment, you'd realize that not only is that not needed, it is actually impossible to do, and it would be a terrible idea to attempt because all it would serve to do is provide people the opportunity to say "but it isn't on the list!".

Aside from all of that, without treading in the minefield of attempting to list specific words, the board has already specified what is not allowed.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
So I can't post a photo of my butt then

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
GMdawg #367828 03/26/09 11:26 AM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

So I can't post a photo of my butt then

gm...as long as you don't call your butt a nasty name, what's the harm?...

....gm...hmmm, giving your butt picture idea some thought...it could be worse than words ....we don't need that...do we?....lol...mac

mac #367829 03/26/09 11:39 AM
J
Legend
Legend
J
I've posted a picture of GM's butt on here a couple of times.

Sorry Refs.

Legend
Legend
Burgers are done everybody, dig in

GMdawg #367831 03/26/09 12:35 PM
Steeler
Steeler
Did you wash your hands first?

christy #367832 03/26/09 12:52 PM
Legend
Legend
Yep right before I hooked up the gas line.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

I've posted a picture of GM's butt on here a couple of times.

Sorry Refs.

Jules...GM's rearend picture is proof positive that a picture can be worse than curse words... ...

mac #367834 03/26/09 02:49 PM
Legend
Legend
Should I PM you a close up Mac

GMdawg #367835 03/26/09 03:02 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
"Ish" is a curse word? I thought it was a take on the word"issue"?
And here I believed I knew all the curse words...

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Fan Feedback Forum Thread "moved"

Link Copied to Clipboard