Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

Not trying to change the subject, but in terms of drafting him I don't see him as a "must pick" for us if he doesn't fall. We still have another viable option that may be posted here but I just overlooked.

If Berry is gone, in all likelihood Hayden would still be there.

We all know Sheldon Brown isn't the long term solution at CB. He's one helluva hard hitter too. From everything I've been reading and have seen, Hayden has every shot there is to be our long term answer at the CB position.

I believe you could draft Hayden and slide Berry over to the FS position and do very well with that arrangement without moving up or doing anything as far as a "need" for Berry.

jmho

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
S
2nd String
2nd String
S
Hey Pit I think you meant to say slide Sheldon Brown over to Safety if we select Hayden. I agree with you completely.

P
Legend
Legend
P
That's it exactly!

I'm getting to the age I always know what I want to say, it just doesn't always come out that way.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't today the day the Berry is supposed to come in for his workout with the Browns?

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Per a league source, Berry is in Cleveland today to meet with the Browns and will follow that up with a trip to Tampa to talk with the Buccaneers on Sunday.

National Football Post

Here's another interesting quote from the article...

Quote:

Another interesting nugget to add to this story is that there’s a rumor floating around that the Browns have told Berry they don’t think he will be available when they pick at No. 7.

D
2nd String
2nd String
D
It really does seem that the lowest that Berry will go is #7.

This is purely hypothetical. But let's assume a good team with a surplus of draft picks like New England or Philadelphia wants Berry. 10+ rookies are not going to make a Patriots or Eagles squad. And the Browns now have a history of moving down in the draft. I wonder if a) the Browns would trade out of #7 if Berry was there and b) what it would take to do so.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I think the more likely scenario is for us to trade up with the Redskins to ensure we get Berry.

N
Legend
Legend
N
NE will more likely trade draft picks in this draft for draft picks in next years draft. They seem to do that every year, which is why they may have 10 draft picks, but only 6 rookies or so.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Another interesting nugget to add to this story is that there’s a rumor floating around that the Browns have told Berry they don’t think he will be available when they pick at No. 7.

Boy, that's news!

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think it's telling the kid he is worth higher than the #7.

Cause I think he'll be there....................

#gmstrong
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

Oh great. That'll really help during contract negotiations.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

Oh great. That'll really help during contract negotiations.

What do you suggest? That it would be better to tell a kid rated as one of the top 3 most talented kids in the draft you don't think he's worthy of going higher? Yeah, that'll get you on his good side!

"Yeah kid, we heard you were rated in the top 3, but we don't think anyone will touch you before #7."

Playing to people's egos go a long way in case you missed that concept. lol

#gmstrong
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
all we need to do is hope that Seattle and Kansas City both take the tackles instead of Berry (Bulaga and Williams) which I think is realistic but not certain at all of course. Cross your fingers that they do. If he's not there then we are either gonna have to trade down for less value than the pick is worth, or we're gonna reach for a guy like Earl Thomas, Jared Odrick, etc.

[Linked Image from i232.photobucket.com]
O
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
O
Quote:

Here's my question...

I feel like the general consensus is that Eric Berry would be the best pickup for the Browns...If not....its who i want more than anyone in the draft.

Chances are that he wont be there at #7, as Seattle, KC, and TB all have been linked to drafting Berry in mock drafts all over the place.

So...where are we going to have to trade up to?
and what will we have to give up to get there? Thoughts? Ideas?

We would probably have to trade up to the #2 spot in order to get Berry because, KC, & Seattle may both want him and Washington want's their own pick for their LT, another JT. That leaves the possibilty of Tampa, but I don't see them letting one of the two DT's getting by them, so that leaves the Lions.

To make that deal (according to the trade value chart) we would have to give up 7 picks; our second, 3 thirds and 3 fifths = 1100 points the difference between the value of our #7 (1500) to their #2 (2600), that's just way to steep for an unproven safety.

Just take the BPA, like MH said in his news conference with fans, whoever we have rated the highest of who's left on the board or make a trade down if possible. As long as it's not to one sided like last year.

I'm not sure, but that player could be Classuen, depending on his pro day workout, if he looks almost as good or just as good as Bradford, we would be stupid not to take him.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
I am against trading up for a safety. I want Berry but I want him at 7 not #2. I also am in the minority that he falls. I think he falls to us at 7.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I am against trading up for a safety. I want Berry but I want him at 7 not #2. I also am in the minority that he falls. I think he falls to us at 7.

#gmstrong
K
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
K
if he does fall to us at 7...ill do cartwheels in the street

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

it really depends on Seattle, I think.

St. Louis - shocking if they don't pick Bradford.
Detroit - shocking if they don't pick DT or LT (Suh or McCoy most likely)
TB - shocking if they don't pick other DT
Washington - shocking if they don't pick LT or trade down

KC - Pioli still goes by the Belicheck value of picks and they just didn't believe in drafting S's high. We'll see if Berry fits under their "special" player provision where he ignores his value chart (belicheck mentioned this is why they picked Mayo high despite him being an ILB).

They need a LT.

Seattle - this is the big question pick. Here are their most likely picks in no particular order (IMO)

Claussen - Whitehurst is probably not the answer though it would be strange to use that many draft picks on 2 QBs in the same draft. But, Claussen still should be on the board for them if they think that he can be a franchise QB.

LT - could be Okung, Trent Williams, Buluga or Anthony Davis. At least one will almost assuredly be gone and possibly up to 3 of them (if Detroit goes LT and let's one of the DTs slip). They really need a Walter Jones replacement as he is getting older and injury prone, so this should be their focus if they feel the talent is there.

McCoy - I don't see Suh slipping this far, but McCoy could if Detroit goes LT. KC probably doesn't pick a more suited 4-3 DT and one would think Washington is going to protect McNabb.

Berry - I think Carroll wants that offense to get better first despite that he is a defensive coach. Seattle has a decent base of talent on defense but really needs some talent infusion on offense (OL, RB, WR, and QB with Hasselbeck near the end). However, I also don't think he will ignore talent.

If McCoy is gone, he doesn't believe in Claussen, and one of his top2 choices at LT are not available, then Berry is his choice.

But, that's a lot of if's, which means Berry can slip to us.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Berry - I think Carroll wants that offense to get better first despite that he is a defensive coach. Seattle has a decent base of talent on defense but really needs some talent infusion on offense (OL, RB, WR, and QB with Hasselbeck near the end). However, I also don't think he will ignore talent.

Just a suggestion here.......................

.......................Carroll CAN get a high caliber LT at #6 this year which is a very unusual and unique thing IMO

He can also come back at #14 and get "his guy from USC" in Taylor Mays at #14. Mays is a super freak with his combination of size and speed, not to mention he has already been coached by Carrol and would fit in seamlessly into Carroll's system from day one.

Just sayin.......

#gmstrong
N
Legend
Legend
N
I hope you are right, but if USC fans were completely frustrated with Taylor this past season, I cannot even imagine the frustration Carroll had with him.

#gmstrong
K
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
K
speaking of carroll...

Seatlle has been oft-linked to taking Berry one spot ahead of us...and that would be the ultimate bummer in my opinion...

if we offered one of our 5th or one of our 3rds...would it be worth it to move up the one spot it would take to grab him if Seattle is trying to take him? or do you think they would wait til their later pick and try to take Earl Thomas?

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
C
Legend
Legend
C
If we are going to trade for Berry we have to get in front of both Kansas City and Seattle. Meaning we'd have to trade with Washington, who would probably be a willing partner.

Hopefully Berry just falls to us and we don't have to worry about trading up.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) the most likely way to get Eric Berry in Cleveland

Link Copied to Clipboard