Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#527159 09/11/10 10:15 AM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Just a little curious as to everyone's preferences.

Do you enjoy watching NFL games or college football games more?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 09/11/10 10:14 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
Which OT rules do you prefer?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 09/11/10 10:14 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
Legend
Legend
NFL. I prefer to watch the best in the world.

As far as overtime goes, the NFL should keep it the same. Due to the fact that chance plays a huge role in the outcome, teams have more incentive to go for the win in regulation. I think the college OT rules encourage teams to play for the tie rather than take risks to win.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
NFL football... by far. I like the spirit of college football, but there are WAY too many boring, lopsided games during the regular season and the way the NCAA decides a national champion is just idiotic.

The only football games I never miss are Browns games. If I don't have any other pressing things to do, I'll sit and watch just about any other NFL game. I pick and choose college games to watch, however. As a rule, my Saturdays are football-free (except when the NFL takes over late in the season).

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Completely agree with you both.

I never miss a Browns game, but if I have to miss an OSU game and it's not Michigan, I will.

The NFL represents the best of the best. It's what these college kids are aiming for. The highest level of competition. There is more parody in the NFL, so there are no 61-3 blowouts, or teams playing against guys who shouldn't be on the same field. You see Florida blowing out these small schools, which is like Cleveland beating up on some Arena League team.

I also HATE some of the college rules. I HATE the stat-padding college OT rules. I HATE the fact that the clock stops when a first down is made. You can easily go down field with less than a minute to go because of the clock stoppage. I enjoy college football, but not nearly as much as the NFL. And fantasy football makes it that much more interesting.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
NFL play no doubt.. I don't even watch college ball.

I prefer NFL overtime rules. So to decide this poll I flipped a coin and chose college rules.

Legend
Legend
I went with college... though it's pretty much either for me... only reason I went with college is because there's something special about watching the 'young kids' growing up over a season and watching the passion of the college kids in the stands... but with that said, you can't beat the best athletes in the world in the pros...

in terms of OT rules, I went with NFL. I like the fact that you score and it's done... I think it's silly to go back and forth, though I do like that each team would get the ball... but I'd rather have a sudden death OT.

<><

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I went with NFL... For one reason... My college football team sucks lol.

If I was a fan of a big time school like Alabama, Ohio State, USC, etc, I would definitely prefer college.

At least with the Browns, there's always hope that we'll eventually draft the next big QB, the next big RB, etc. and be a good football team. Kentucky is never going to be more than a 7-5, 8-4 football team, playing in the Nobody Cares Bowl.

I chose NCAA overtime, because it's much more entertaining. Perhaps that's because the kickers aren't as accurate. In the NFL, if you get down around the 25 yardline, it's almost automatic. That's not how it is in college. Every kick is exciting. Marshall last night is the perfect example.

Legend
Legend
While the NFL is better, I enjoy watching NCCA games more.....because there's nothing on the line for me to root for. Meaning, I'm a Toledo alum. Since they stink and will never be in contention for a championship....I don't care if Ohio State beat Miami or Miami beat Ohio State. Sure I have favorites, but I won't lose a second of thought if the team I was pulling for loses that day. I'm just enjoy watching football.

The Browns make my heart beat too fast when they're good and make me mad when they're bad. And when I'm watching other teams play (Ravens vs. Jets) I'm always rooting for the outcome that will help the Browns in the standings. So there's no game I can just "watch" to enjoy. Plus, with fantasy football, it makes almost EVERY player and game something to be tense over.

Don't get me wrong, I like watching the NFL........but it seems like I'm too involved with the outcomes to see the sport in it all. The NCAA is just pure sport to me. Like the NHL and March Madness. Fun.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
L
Legend
Legend
L
I don't care about U.S. college football.

Don't like the gimmicky OT they use in college, either.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
S
Legend
Legend
S
college.

i can get into any game. even the crappy friday night matchup that espn always has.

it's also my favorite sport to bet on, slight edge over nfl.

although with my very first experience with nfl sunday ticket yesterday, that gap closed a bit. unbelievable. nfl sunday ticket is worth every penny.

as far as overtime rules. i dunno, i used to be all about the college rules but i think the nfl has swayed me.

if it were up to me, i would change it so that at least both teams at least get a touch.

flip a coin, one team kicks off, and if someone scores the other team gets a possession. if the first team does not score and they punt it off, that becomes an official possession for the other team, meaning if you muff the punt and the other team recovers, that means you no longer are guaranteed the ball at any point.

N
Legend
Legend
N
only tweak i would give is the home team automatically 'wins' the OT coin toss. give a slight advantage to being home (including playoffs, they earned that in the regular season)

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

only tweak i would give is the home team automatically 'wins' the OT coin toss. give a slight advantage to being home (including playoffs, they earned that in the regular season)

That's a good idea. I like it. The away team knows they have to get it done in regulation so the home team can't get first dibs on the ball in OT. Of course, if we kept the current system.

I think the NFL will eventually get the playoff OT rules into the regular season. It will be one of the things argued about in the next CBA (cause it's more time on the field - with them trying to go to a 18-game season too).

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk K-9 Consensus The NFL vs College FB

Link Copied to Clipboard