Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

There is just so much I disagree with in this post.

I felt the same. I was going to argue with his post but cannot seem to find enough time to type that much. There are only 24 hours in a day.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I've yet to see a QB who is a "scrambler and running danger" the nature of Michael Vick etc...take any team to any type of prolonged playoff/championship runs. Bridgewater would be great in a Chip Kelly offense

You're talking about Teddy Bridgewater?

He is indeed

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

I've yet to see a QB who is a "scrambler and running danger" the nature of Michael Vick etc...take any team to any type of prolonged playoff/championship runs. Bridgewater would be great in a Chip Kelly offense

Don't you know all black QBs are running QBs?

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That was my first thought after reading that.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Personally Bridgewater reminds me of McNabb, maybe with a bit of Warren Moon mixed with Kordell Stewart and Jason Campbell. Will he fall in the draft like Geno Smith? Probably not. Will he bust like Akili Smith? Probably not. But we all know one thing for sure, he is black.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
He may fall out of the top 5 but that will be it. The kid can really play QB. The issue he has is concerns about durability due to slight build. If he was to be compared to a past black QB. I would compare him most to Warren Moon. Pure passer. He has athletic ability but he relies mostly on skills in the pocket.

Example is that one of the knocks on him is he does not escape pressure very well. That is not because he does not have the ahtletic ability to escape it is because he stays in the pocket and lets plays develop. he has tremendous QB skills. If he was 2 inchies taller and twenty pounds heavier he would be considered a sure fire can't miss prospect.

R
All Pro
All Pro
R
Normally I would say no to WR this high. But I think it could be a prudent idea. Lets not all forget Gordon is 1 strike away from a full season suspension. Taking Watkins may not only make most of us salivate at the thought of he, Gordon and Cam' on the field at once, but if Gordon screws up or gets injured where are we at then?

"He who buys what he does not need steals from himself."
P
2nd String
2nd String
P
Let's not forget Glue Fingers Lavelli and Mac Speedie,then Glue Fingers Lavelli and Ray Renfro/Pete Brewster to join with Otto,Marion Motley,Dub Jones. The other element making this leathal combo great : an OL to protect open run lanes. Oh these sweet memories you young pups missed seeing in action.

I bleed Seal Brown,Burnt Oranage and White w/Chrome. It's a proud honored birthright and family tradition.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
You know I really like Sammy Watkins. And, I see the attraction for him pairing with Gordon. The issue is that if the Browns feel that Bridgewater or Bortles are franchise QB's and they are available at #4 I don't see how they can afford to pass them up.

A franchise QB turns a team that is always drafting in the top 10 to a team that is always competing for a playoff spot. I don't think any other 1 player offers that kind of potentail.

There is also plenty of very good wide receivers that are not much of a drop off if any at all from Watkins that will be available at picks 26 or 35. The key however is does the new staff see those players as franchise players?

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Personally Bridgewater reminds me of McNabb, maybe with a bit of Warren Moon mixed with Kordell Stewart and Jason Campbell. Will he fall in the draft like Geno Smith? Probably not. Will he bust like Akili Smith? Probably not. But we all know one thing for sure, he is black.

He's also got a lot of E.J. Manuel in him. Also, Aaron Brooks and Quincy Carter. Hopefully he is better than JaMarcus Russell and chooses better mistresses than Steve McNair. David Garrard seems like a good comparison as well as Byron Leftwich. If he's really good he might play as long as Charlie Batch did. I don't really remember Tony Banks, but something makes me compare the two.

In the end, he only half reminds me of Russell Wilson.

P
2nd String
2nd String
P
Michael Jackson wre no1 before no 81 and if memory serves me correct again before changing their numbers Dino Hall no1 before no 26 and Rico Smith was no 4 before taking Webstar's no 84. That's 3 WRs just from our Browns wearing a single digit.

Last edited by Passionate Dawg; 03/15/14 03:12 PM.

I bleed Seal Brown,Burnt Oranage and White w/Chrome. It's a proud honored birthright and family tradition.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

He's also got a lot of E.J. Manuel in him. Also, Aaron Brooks and Quincy Carter. Hopefully he is better than JaMarcus Russell and chooses better mistresses than Steve McNair. David Garrard seems like a good comparison as well as Byron Leftwich. If he's really good he might play as long as Charlie Batch did. I don't really remember Tony Banks, but something makes me compare the two.

My guess would be Doug Williams... and not Spurgeon Wynn....

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Haha is it just me or does S. Watkins have a gut in that picture?

Legend
Legend
I think he's more old school like Doug Williams or Randall Cunningham.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
D
Legend
Legend
D
His reminds me of (Jefferson Street) Joe Gilliam because he is thin like Joe was. Joe had a prettier release, though.

J
Legend
Legend
J
He reminds me of Aaron Rodgers. Oops.

V
Legend
Legend
V
This really reminds me of the year when we passed on Rodgers and drafted Leon.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
J/C
I only watched Sammy Watkins a few games but I said both times he was a man child against the competition. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to have him lined up in a Brown's uniform, but this should be our year for the quarterback.

Let's hope our FO & scouts know exactly how they have the quarterbacks ranked.
If our guy ( could be one of two quarterbacks for all we know) are there, take em & not look back. That's the beauty of having 2 first round draft picks, we can still grab talent @ 26!

If I only knew then what I know today...
V
Legend
Legend
V
I live in SC and have watched him his entire collegiate career. I can't believe we are even considering him, but then again, I couldn't believe we were considering Leon, either.

P
All Pro
All Pro
P
Quote:

I live in SC and have watched him his entire collegiate career. I can't believe we are even considering him, but then again, I couldn't believe we were considering Leon, either.

Are you serious?

Watkins was a beast in college. I dont want someone who will fill the spot and get an able body down the list, cuz this is a deep draft. I want the best, fastest, most explosive WR that can make one cut and take it to the house. Watkins has that. No other WR in this class comes close to him with that skill except maybe Marquise Lee.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I am dead serious.

The same argument was made by guys like you when we took Leon 3rd overall and passed on Rodgers.

That turned out well.

It's amazing how many times we repeat the same mistakes over and over and over again.

P
All Pro
All Pro
P
I never wanted Leon

Legend
Legend
NRTU

I don't know if it's because I saw him more but I like Evans over Watkins as the top WR... I don't want either at 4, but if we were going to trade back for a WR at around 10 I'd rather have Evans... guy is huge and has a ton of talent... he bailed Manziel out frequently... I think he doesn't have the speed that Watkins has but I think he has more upside.

<><

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
I don't think we should draft Watkins, but I do think he will be a beast for whatever team that drafts him. If Bridgewater is not available I think we should at least consider draft Watkins. If Bridgewater is gone we should go with the best player available. That player might be Sammy Watkins.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Quote:

I don't think we should draft Watkins, but I do think he will be a beast for whatever team that drafts him. If Bridgewater is not available I think we should at least consider draft Watkins. If Bridgewater is gone we should go with the best player available. That player might be Sammy Watkins.

You know I started out wanting Manziel at #4, but the more I thought about it the more I am convince that Watkins is our best option at #4. If he is there I think it's brain dead simple that you take him. Opposite Gordon, Watkins will make a huge impact this year and for many more to come. I know we think we need a "Franchise QB", but maybe we need the supporting cast more. I also think Hoyer would light up the boards with this duo. WOW.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
C
Legend
Legend
C
While it would be fun to have both Gordon and Watkins on the team the QB position is more important. And there are also a few more that I would rather have addressed than adding another wide receiver at that spot (drafting Robinson would address some of our o-line issues).

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

My guess would be Doug Williams... and not Spurgeon Wynn....

I really think he'll be more of like Culpepper with Josh Gordon being his Randy Moss.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

NRTU

I don't know if it's because I saw him more but I like Evans over Watkins as the top WR... I don't want either at 4, but if we were going to trade back for a WR at around 10 I'd rather have Evans... guy is huge and has a ton of talent... he bailed Manziel out frequently... I think he doesn't have the speed that Watkins has but I think he has more upside.

Saved me the typing

I also really like the idea of Vandy's Matthews at 35 or 26. He might be the value steal of the draft at WR. He aced everything I look for: big time production in a good Conference, size/speed, good hands, huge target/hands and versatility, as he can play both outside and in the slot. High floor (huge slot WR/WR2) with a high ceiling to dream on (fWR1)
I can't believe he isn't considered as a top 15 guy

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Have faith man...I am all over the board on who we might take, but I don't think we take Watkins. If there is any position on the field that also fields a ego, it a receiver. Something tells me that Gordon and Watkins won't be happy unless they get 100% of the attention. I don't see drafting Watkins as your #2 receiver.

I am beginning to think we select Bortels at #4. If that isn't shock enough, I also think either of Clowney or Mack hasn't been ruled out....LOL...you don't need to go in to your Clowney speech...I know it.

Let me ask you this. Is it possible Farmer and Pettine have digested all the tape they can find on Hoyer and decided he is the guy and we move forward with him? If so, that puts an entirely different light on the matter. If so, maybe a guy like Garappalo in the 2nd is the choice at QB.

One thing is for sure, with Hoyer as our only QB unless you want to count Tanney, we are going to bring in at least 2 QB's. Probably a vet and a drafted player.

Don't worry, I'd still take Johnny Football, but I doubt he is there. I don't know why, but I am starting to warm up to Bortels over Bridgewater.....but again, I am all over the board with what I want....by 3pm today, it may all be different.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

Quote:

Have faith man...I am all over the board on who we might take, but I don't think we take Watkins. If there is any position on the field that also fields a ego, it a receiver. Something tells me that Gordon and Watkins won't be happy unless they get 100% of the attention. I don't see drafting Watkins as your #2 receiver.

I am beginning to think we select Bortels at #4. If that isn't shock enough, I also think either of Clowney or Mack hasn't been ruled out....LOL...you don't need to go in to your Clowney speech...I know it.

Let me ask you this. Is it possible Farmer and Pettine have digested all the tape they can find on Hoyer and decided he is the guy and we move forward with him? If so, that puts an entirely different light on the matter. If so, maybe a guy like Garappalo in the 2nd is the choice at QB.

One thing is for sure, with Hoyer as our only QB unless you want to count Tanney, we are going to bring in at least 2 QB's. Probably a vet and a drafted player.

Don't worry, I'd still take Johnny Football, but I doubt he is there. I don't know why, but I am starting to warm up to Bortels over Bridgewater.....but again, I am all over the board with what I want....by 3pm today, it may all be different.

Hopefully Farmer and Pettine have their minds set on the #4 pick with a plan in place. So far every move has been an upgrade.

GO BROWNS!
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We gotta get this guy!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2014 NFL Season NFL Draft 2014 Sammy Watkins Wants To Come To Cleveland?

Link Copied to Clipboard