O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Swish
jc

Kansas Attorney General: Your Vote Doesn't Matter

http://hightimes.com/read/kansas-attorney-general-your-vote-doesnt-matter

The majority of Wichita voters favor reducing penalties for first-time marijuana possession offenders, but State Attorney General Derek Schmidt doesn’t care what the voters think—and he’s making no bones about it.

On Tuesday, voters in Kansas’ largest city (population 387,000) went to the ballot box to decide whether to revise the way marijuana laws are enforced within the city limits. By a vote of 54 percent to 46 percent, residents decided in favor of a municipal initiative reducing penalties for first-time marijuana offenses (involving the possession of up to one ounce) to a civil infraction punishable by a $50 fine. The new local ordinance is a stark departure from state law, which classifies the first-time possession of even one gram of pot as a criminal misdemeanor, punishable by up to one year in jail and a $2,500 fine.

But the state’s Republican Attorney General, along with several state lawmakers, are less than thrilled about Wichita voters’ recent exercise in democracy. In fact, the AG has gone so far as to threaten to sue the city of Wichita if it dares to enact the voter-approved law. State Representative Steve Brunk has publicly called the measure “an illegal petition.”

As a result, the city is now looking to the courts to issue a declaratory judgment in regard to whether the voter-approved measure is enforceable and may legally be enacted.

“Due to the Attorney General’s opinion, the city is asking the court to tell us whether the ordinance may be enforced and/or enacted into law by the city,” council member Janet Miller said in a press release. “The City Council’s action, in placing the ordinance on the ballot, was focused on respect for Wichita residents who were concerned enough about this issue to submit a petition with 3,000 signatures. The right to petition the City Council for ordinance changes through a referendum is basic to our form of government.”

________

ahh, the gop.

This could get interesting. A Supreme Court precedent allowing City ordinances to override state laws could cause some real complications. Mayoral and City Council candidates could run based on what laws they will override! lol

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
Considering that a city law or ordinance can never take precedence over a state criminal law, they may have a point. A person who refuses to enforce state law could find themselves open to prosecution themselves.

Would the state prosecute a city official for blocking enforcement of a state law? Who knows? It is possible that they could react either way.

The state laws have worked because the Obama administration has said that they will not enforce existing drug laws in those states. (up to certain levels anyway) I don't know that the state has made such a declaration in this case.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Vermont Lawmakers Threaten To Reinstate Prohibition If Pot Isn't Legalized

Vermont may well become the next state to legalize marijuana, and two state lawmakers who support legalization have a simple message for their colleagues: Give us what we want, or we'll take away your booze.

A new bill filed earlier this month by state Reps. Jean O'Sullivan and Christopher Pearson would effectively reinstate alcohol prohibition in Vermont. If passed, House Bill 502 would outlaw consumption of alcohol, with penalties mirroring those currently in place for marijuana possession. Those found with small amounts of alcohol would be subject to fines of up to $500, and anyone involved in the sale and distribution stream could face up to 30 years in prison and $1 million in penalties.

O'Sullivan herself acknowledges that even she doesn't support the substance of the bill. Rather, "the object was to basically embarrass leadership to say that we have [marijuana legalization bills] in front of us, and they're going absolutely nowhere," she told The Huffington Post.

The lawmakers hope to give momentum to legalization in Vermont by raising awareness about the broad scientific consensus that marijuana is the least dangerous recreational drug on the market. A study published in February found that pot had the lowest risk of mortality when compared with nine other commonly used drugs, including alcohol and tobacco.

"We're certainly not going to ban alcohol, but when you say you'll let a drug like that be legalized and then you have a drug like marijuana that's far safer that's still banned, it's completely ironic," O'Sullivan said.

Another bill, H.277, sponsored by Pearson and O'Sullivan and currently in committee, proposes the legal sale and regulation of marijuana in Vermont. Senate Bill 95, which would also legalize the drug, was introduced earlier this year in the legislature's upper chamber.

A Rand Corporation study released this year estimates that Vermonters spent between $125 to $225 million a year on marijuana in 2014. The report projects that tax revenue from a legal marijuana market in the state could amount to between $20 million and $70 million annually.

O'Sullivan notes that taxing marijuana would go a long way to bridge the state's massive budget deficit.

"Consider it a gauntlet thrown down," O'Sullivan said of H.277. "When you're looking at a $113 million budget deficit, it looks really bloody attractive."

Beyond the financial incentives, evidence shows that there's something to the lawmakers' argument: Not a single person has ever been killed from a marijuana overdose. By contrast, around 88,000 Americans die each year due to excessive alcohol consumption, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/16...kushpmg00000013

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Considering that a city law or ordinance can never take precedence over a state criminal law, they may have a point. A person who refuses to enforce state law could find themselves open to prosecution themselves.

Would the state prosecute a city official for blocking enforcement of a state law? Who knows? It is possible that they could react either way.

The state laws have worked because the Obama administration has said that they will not enforce existing drug laws in those states. (up to certain levels anyway) I don't know that the state has made such a declaration in this case.

I'm not sure what a person who refuses to enforce law would be prosecuted for exactly. "aid and abet" would be the closest, but typically you have to have a direct hand in the criminal action. I'm not sure simply not enforcing it would meet that threshold.

Based on the article, I don't see the City as over riding state law. Rather, it appears to me that the City is looking to create its own ordnances in regards to pot. What makes this interesting is that if I'm the cop there and I come across someone with a joint, I would be directed to charge the offender according to the city ordnance INSTEAD of charging them with the state statute.

Basically enforcement is done on behalf of the city and not the state.

I find this an interesting concept but not necessarily without precedent. I mean, the Federal gov't has laws against the possession and sale of marijuana, but most cases are prosecuted according to state laws. Why not city laws instead of state???

Also, what I find interesting is that cops are certified by the State, yet employed by the City. I'm wondering if they would threaten to revoke an officer's certification if he enforced city law over state??

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
O
Legend
Legend
O

Yep hard to imagine that artist would work while being high...

F
Legend
Legend
F

So get new employees who will agree not to come to work high, just like you agree not to come to work drunk. willynilly

Sounds to me like the guy needed a reason to move. smile

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
But what if they're high when they agree to that only to later forget about it after a burrito?

#GMSTRONG
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
i get more creative when fried.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Honestly, my take on it.

First and foremost, I do not do any drugs whatsoever. None zip. I do not smoke week nor do I drink that often.

I am completely behind legalizing weed. Not one person can argue that it is more dangerous than alcohol.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Swish
i get more creative when fried.

At least you think that.

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
https://www.yahoo.com/music/s/texas-top-officer-snoop-dogg-dope-smoking-cop-001018001.html

Texas' top officer: Snoop Dogg a 'dope smoking cop hater'

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Texas' chief law enforcement official called Snoop Dogg a "dope smoking cop hater" before reprimanding a state trooper who posed for a picture with the rapper, according to emails made public Wednesday.

Snoop Dogg posted a photo to Instagram with Department of Public Safety Trooper Billy Spears in March with the comment "Me n my deputy dogg." It was taken during the South by Southwest music festival, where Spears was working off-duty as extra security.

Spears is now suing DPS after being disciplined for taking a picture with a public figure who has a several convictions for drug possession.

Emails obtained by Spears' attorney through open records laws show that the incident went all the way to DPS Director Steve McCraw, who is best known for overseeing the state's expansive border security operations.

"Apparently he would rather work the convention while on a week's vacation to earn additional money rather than take an additional tour on the border," McCraw wrote. "He must not understand that he was being lampooned by a dope smoking cop hater which reflects very poorly on the department."

DPS spokesman Tom Vinger confirmed the authenticity of the email but did not comment on its content. He referred to the agency previously saying that DPS holds employees to high standards of conduct and judgment.

The emails include a DPS supervisor explaining that Spears and other troopers have routinely taken pictures with other celebrities at SXSW. He mentions actor Robert Duvall, former NBA star Shaquille O'Neal and musicians Cee Lo Green and Rob Zombie.

Spears is seeking unspecified damages in a Travis County court. He claims his discipline was retaliation for filing a complaint several weeks earlier against a superior.

cops are literally doing this to themselves. We need more images of cops willing to take pictures with the community, and Snoop is a huge public figure.

you can't think like this and expect people to respect or trust you.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: 1day
Honestly, my take on it.

First and foremost, I do not do any drugs whatsoever. None zip. I do not smoke week nor do I drink that often.

I am completely behind legalizing weed. Not one person can argue that it is more dangerous than alcohol.

I'm in the same boat. I've never had a sip of alcohol, a puff of a cigarette, or consumption of any other drug. But, I support legalizing marijuana. Anybody who acts like it's more harmful than alcohol or supports alcohol being legal and weed illegal is either a hypocrite or doesn't fully understand the effects of marijuana. Legalize weed, tax it, and move on.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Marijuana made me stupid, gave me low self esteem/depression and I've never felt better about life since I quit smoking it.

With that said I have no problem with it, it never made me steal to get it or anything like that.

Last edited by Psydeffect; 05/10/15 12:03 AM.
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: Psydeffect
Marijuana made me stupid, gave me low self esteem/depression and I've never felt better about life since I quit smoking it.

With that said I have no problem with it, it never made me steal to get it or anything like that.

sorry that the MJ experience didn't work for you bro. glad you quit and got it together.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I am not so much for legalization as decriminalizing the stuff.

Fines and rehab are ok with me. Jail and the felon label are not.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Legalization of Weed and other drugs.

Link Copied to Clipboard