Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Palus Politicus Jump to new posts
Re: SCOTUS Hears Trump Imunity Case bonefish 04/25/24 10:35 PM
You either have Law or you don't.

The basic principle of our Constitution is "nobody is above the law."

The Appeal Court made it clear. So, is it ok for a president to have his political opponents killed?

How about some common sense.

I will do me. Nobody is above the Law. Nixon challenge.

In a 5–4 decision, the Court ruled that the President is entitled to absolute immunity from legal liability for civil damages based on his official acts. The Court, however, emphasized that the President is not necessarily immune from criminal charges stemming from his official or unofficial acts while he is in office.
18 154 Read More
Pure Football Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Player News Continued..... Steubenvillian 04/25/24 10:32 PM
would like to have Hendrikson
170 7,183 Read More
Re: The Economy Part 2 PitDAWG 04/25/24 09:37 PM
Another aspect of the job market I really hadn't considered since I am of the age of no longer having children at home is the high cost of and lack of accessible child care. However I saw an article that made some sense to me about lower wage women and even educated women leaving the work force because the cost and access of childcare was so high and hard to come by that it made working somewhat of a futile endeavour especially in two income households.

The First Five Things to Know: Impact of the Child Care Crisis on Women & Mothers

https://www.ffyf.org/resources/2023...-the-child-care-crisis-on-women-mothers/
27 352 Read More
Re: Israel at war again. Bull_Dawg 04/25/24 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by PerfectSpiral
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
Someone could probably make a lot of money if they marketed a practical protest curriculum.

How to Make Your Protest 93% Peaceful: A Guide

Yeah we’ll throw money at just about anything but education these days.

Hmmmmmm.... college loan forgiveness seems a lot like throwing money at "education."

We throw money at education in the (dictionary) "the process of giving systematic instruction" sense. Unfortunately, that systematic instruction is of variable value.

How "enlightening" that education actually is/was is definitely debatable.
301 8,061 Read More
Everything Else... Jump to new posts
Re: Music Video Thread #3471 PitDAWG 04/25/24 09:26 PM
That will give them a crazy amount of exposure! Good for them!
229 6,933 Read More
Re: Trump hush Money Trial Set to start On April 15th. Bull_Dawg 04/25/24 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
No, he doesn’t. Nice try though, now mount that broom and fly away.

You can be hard to comprehend. It's hard not to "know" (of) you on these boards in the colloquial sense.

Also kind of seems like your witch allusion would lend the post you replied to some credence. Just saying.
166 2,919 Read More
Re: Cuckoo Dems-Part 6 OldColdDawg 04/25/24 08:25 PM
MAGAts playing victim, what’s new?
26 238 Read More
Re: Cicada Invasion? FATE 04/25/24 07:20 PM
At first I'm like "calling the police??" saywhat 🤣

I never realized there were so many different broods until looking into this about a month ago. They are also very geographical, so it's a "right place/right time" thing, almost like the eclipse.

The great news for me is we booked our large family reunion at a resort in Virginia, in late June, which could be on the edge of some serious chicanery. rofl

In 2037, Brood VI of the periodical cicadas is expected to emerge in the United States. Brood VI is another one of the 17-year cicadas. There are 15 broods of 17-year periodical cicadas (Magicicada species) in the United States. These broods are designated by Roman numerals and emerge in different years across various regions of the country. Each brood has a distinct geographic range and emergence schedule. Additionally, there are three broods of 13-year periodical cicadas, making a total of 18 broods of periodical cicadas in the United States.

(Two seperate questions I posed to Chat GPT, which saved me 38 hours of scouring Giggle)
1 25 Read More
Re: Abortion issue will be on the Nov. Ballot PitDAWG 04/25/24 06:48 PM
j/c

Arizona House votes to overturn 1864 abortion ban, paving way to leave 15-week limit in place

The Arizona House of Representatives voted Wednesday to overturn the state’s 160-year-old abortion ban, setting the stage for a repeal that would leave the state’s 15-week restriction on the procedure in place.

The vote comes after two failed attempts by lawmakers in the Republican-controlled state House to bring the bill to the floor last week, as Democrats sought to strike down the ban after the state Supreme Court revived it earlier this month.

Three Republicans voted with all 29 Democrats Wednesday to advance the legislation. The state Senate is expected to pass the repeal measure in early May. And Democratic Gov. Katie Hobbs is expected to sign the bill if lawmakers advance it to her desk.

“This has been a long time coming,” said Athena Salman, the executive director of Arizona campaigns for Reproductive Freedom for All, formerly NARAL Pro-Choice America.

In its April 9 ruling, the Arizona Supreme Court said that the state must adhere to the 1864 law that bars all abortions except in cases when “necessary” to save a pregnant woman’s life. The law also carries a prison sentence of two to five years for abortion providers.

Wednesday’s vote is a boon to reproductive rights advocates and some Republican candidates, including former President Donald Trump, who have tried to distance themselves from the court ruling.

Within the Arizona House, however, the repeal measure drew angry remarks from several Republicans.

“I am disgusted today,” state Rep. Rachel Jones said. “Life is one of the tenants of our Republican platform. To see people go back on that value is egregious to me.”

Arizona House Speaker Ben Toma, who said he opposes all abortions except to save a pregnant woman’s life, said lawmakers had rushed into repealing the ban.

State Rep. Matt Gress, one of the Republicans who voted with Democrats, said the ban – which was first introduced when Arizona was still a US territory – didn’t reflect the values of most Arizona voters. Repealing it should have been a simple proposition, he said.

“I think it was more difficult than it needed to be,” Gress told CNN.

As the session ended, state House leadership removed Gress from the chamber’s Appropriations Committee, a move that was seen as punishment for bucking the party. Gress said it was “unfortunate and potentially unprecedented,” but he didn’t regret his vote.

“I campaigned against the territorial ban and made it very clear to my voters that I don’t support it,” said Gress, who represents a Phoenix-area district.

Hobbs told CNN’s Abby Phillip Wednesday night she was “relieved” by the repeal’s passage in the state House.

“There have been untold levels of chaos and fear across the state since this Supreme Court decision. So now the Senate needs to vote to send this repeal to my desk, so we can get rid of this 1864 ban once and for all,” the Democratic governor said on “NewsNight.”

If a repeal vote fails in the state Senate, the 1864 law could take effect as early as June 8, making Arizona one of more than a dozen states that bans abortion at virtually all stages of pregnancy with few exceptions.

If it succeeds, Arizona’s 15-week restriction on abortions will continue to be state law. However, officials warned that the territorial ban could be briefly enforceable because nonemergency bills passed in Arizona don’t take effect until 90 days after the Legislature adjourns.

In neighboring California, Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom praised a state bill that would allow Arizona medical professionals to perform abortions for Arizona patients in California through the end of the year, arguing that it could help Arizonans even if the 1864 ban is repealed.

“With its urgency clause, SB 233 would fill a critical gap for care during a meaningful period of time before an Arizona repeal could be implemented,” a news release from the governor’s office said. “Swift action helps combat the confusion and chilling effect this back-and-forth creates.”

The Civil War-era abortion ban, which dates to before statehood, was codified in 1901. It remained in effect until 1973, when it was blocked by a court injunction after Roe v. Wade created a federal constitutional right to an abortion.

In March 2022, months before the US Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, Republican Gov. Doug Ducey signed into law the state’s 15-week ban, which has no exceptions for rape or incest. That legislation stated explicitly that it did not overrule the 1864 law.

Democrats have made clear that they still plan to emphasize abortion policy heading into the general election. Arizona Republicans hold one-seat majorities in the state House and Senate, and the state will be a US Senate and presidential battleground this fall.

Sam Paisley, a spokeswoman for the Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee, which works to elect Democrats to statehouse seats, called Wednesday’s vote a “clear victory for Arizona House Democrats” but pointed out that the 15-week restriction would still exist after a repeal.

“The only way to protect reproductive freedoms is to elect Democrats to the legislature to repeal this (15-week) ban too,” Paisley said in a statement.

Abortion rights advocates are currently working to place a constitutional amendment proposal on the state’s November ballot that would protect abortion access up to fetal viability, which doctors believe is around 22 to 24 weeks of pregnancy. Arizona for Abortion Access, the group backing the amendment, has gathered more than 500,000 signatures. Advocates must submit 384,000 valid signatures by July 3 to make the general election ballot.

Prior to the Arizona House vote, the chamber’s rules committee voted along party lines to approve the late introduction of three House resolutions, largely believed to be Republican-backed ballot measures designed to compete with the abortion rights amendment.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/24/politics/arizona-house-abortion-law/index.html
69 2,319 Read More
Re: Trump starts the Appeals process PitDAWG 04/25/24 06:14 PM
Federal judge upholds verdict in E. Jean Carroll case and denies Trump’s motion for a new trial

A federal judge on Thursday upheld the verdict and award in E. Jean Carroll’s defamation case against former President Donald Trump and denied Trump’s motion for a new trial.

Judge Lewis Kaplan, in a written opinion, said Trump’s legal arguments are without merit. The judge also found that the punitive damages the jury awarded to Carroll “passes constitutional muster.”

Carroll, a former magazine columnist, alleged Trump raped her in a Bergdorf Goodman department store in the mid-1990s and then defamed her when he denied her claim. In a separate case, a jury last year found Trump liable for the sexual assault.

The second case stems from remarks Trump had made denying Carroll’s allegations in 2019. He was found liable for defamation last year, and a jury earlier this year ordered him to pay $83.3 million in punitive and compensatory damages.

Trump’s legal team had argued that the damages awarded to Carroll in the defamation case were excessive. Kaplan dismissed that argument in his opinion released Thursday.

“Mr. Trump’s malicious and unceasing attacks on Ms. Carroll were disseminated to more than 100 million people,” Kaplan wrote. “They included public threats and personal attacks, and they endangered Ms. Carroll’s health and safety.”

“The jury,” Kaplan added, “was entitled to conclude that Mr. Trump derailed the career, reputation, and emotional well-being of one of America’s most successful and prominent advice columnists and authors.”

Trump has maintained that he did not sexually assault Carroll, and in 2019, said that Carroll was not his “type.” Those denials formed the basis of the defamation lawsuit.

He sat in court for portions of the defamation trial, earning rebukes from the judge after he was heard making comments during Carroll’s testimony. As Carroll’s lawyers delivered their closing arguments, Trump abruptly and dramatically stood up and left the courtroom.

Kaplan referenced that episode in his opinion: “Mere minutes after (Carroll’s) counsel began her closing argument, Mr. Trump conspicuously stood and walked out of the courtroom for no apparent reason save to evidence his disapproval.”

Aside from the eye-popping monetary amount, the judgment brought another point into stark clarity: A jury of regular citizens – not the politicians or their appointees that Trump constantly claims mistreat him – held him accountable.

The judgment comes as Trump sits in another courtroom – this time, a criminal one – awaiting another jury of regular New Yorkers to decide his fate on charges that he falsified business records to cover up an affair ahead of the 2016 election.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/25/politics/federal-judge-upholds-e-jean-carroll-verdict/index.html
158 2,054 Read More
Re: Solo Musicians FATE 04/25/24 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by Clemdawg
I love how he uses his thumb to walk a bass line on the low e string, while he's comping chords and outlining a melody line, up-top. Three lines at once. One brain that puts all this together.

Watch the left-hand contortions he makes to create those crazy, extended, Jazz-inspired chords.
You can only do stuff like that if you have an encyclopedic understanding of fingerboard topography, the genius to find the notes... and the athleticism to pull off a fast-paced, real time performance like this.

And then... oh, bro- how many different sounds he can create with his right hand: speed-strumming, fingerstyle, half-stopping 'ghost notes'... how he can change the guitar's voice on a dime: from jangly to soft and sweet... and how he can do it on a second's notice. Jaco called it, "Touch. The sound is in the fingers."

This is world-class playing... from someone deserving of wider notice.

Yeah, he doesn't play guitar, he reinvents the damned thing every time he touches it. Ridiculous performance, thanks for posting.
32 306 Read More
Re: Goofy Immortal 2 FATE 04/25/24 02:43 PM
Watched it again with my wife last night. Whenever I cast YT to the TV, it's usually met with an eye roll and a strong "no thanks"... I told her we could stop whenever she says the word. She was glued to the screen for the entire 40+. rofl
377 19,317 Read More
Re: Spring is coming.. mac 04/25/24 01:48 PM
Here are some of the facts concerning the BG Falcons...
link

2024 Milestones:
First egg laid: April 2, 2:58 p.m.
Second egg laid: April 5, 3:15 a.m.
Third egg laid: April 7, 9:23 a.m.
FOURTH egg laid: April 10, time unknown

The incubated period for Falcons is 29 to 33 days...therefore, we are approx. 1 week from the beginning of the hatching period for the BG falcons.

Today is 'day 23' from the date of the first egg being laid (on Apr. 2nd)...

34 1,395 Read More
Re: January 6th Fallout Part 8 bonefish 04/25/24 10:59 AM
The only problem is as Mark Twain stated:

"No amount of evidence will ever convince an idiot."

And there are plenty of them.
19 452 Read More
Re: Political Jokes Pt. 3 PitDAWG 04/24/24 08:39 PM
So you can't tell the difference between jokes and political editorial comments now? When did that happen?
198 3,524 Read More
Tailgate Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Annie Agar - weekly NFL funnies Frenchy 04/24/24 08:11 PM
28 1,881 Read More
Pure Football Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Who is your "don't sleep on that guy" player? PitDAWG 04/24/24 06:07 PM
That sounds reasonable. Players do that a lot. As of now Amari Cooper's contract expires at the end of the 2024 season. From my understanding the Browns have been working to extend his contract. So the entire answer to all of this are two fold. If they extend Cooper's contract Jeudy will not be the #1 WR in Cleveland. That greatly diminishes his leverage in getting more money as the #2 WR.

If however the Browns can not sign Cooper to an extension and Jeudy can step up big time your scenario is a possibility.
22 780 Read More
Re: Republican Cra Cra Again PitDAWG 04/24/24 05:49 PM
The Census data also show that 9 of the 10 states with the lowest median household income were Red: Mississippi, Arkansas, West Virginia, Kentucky, Alabama, Tennessee, Louisiana, South Carolina and Oklahoma.

https://www.politifact.com/9-10-poorest-states-republican/

I don't get it either. As they watch their politicians time and time again rail against their own best interests they keep voting for them. It's kind of like older Americans who tend to support the side that is working towards cutting their social security benefits.
69 1,766 Read More
Re: Ukraine and Russia Cont. PitDAWG 04/24/24 03:50 PM
Senate overwhelmingly passes aid for Ukraine, Israel and Taiwan with big bipartisan vote

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Senate has passed $95 billion in war aid to Ukraine, Israel and Taiwan, sending the legislation to President Joe Biden after months of delays and contentious debate over how involved the United States should be in foreign wars.

The bill passed the Senate on an overwhelming 79-18 vote late Tuesday after the House had approved the package Saturday. Biden, who worked with congressional leaders to win support, said in a statement immediately after passage that he will sign it Wednesday and start the process of sending weapons to Ukraine, which has been struggling to hold its front lines against Russia.

“Tonight, a bipartisan majority in the Senate joined the House to answer history’s call at this critical inflection point,” Biden said.

The legislation would also send $26 billion in wartime assistance to Israel and humanitarian relief to citizens of Gaza, and $8 billion to counter Chinese threats in Taiwan and the Indo-Pacific. U.S. officials said about $1 billion of the aid could be on its way shortly, with the bulk following in coming weeks.

In an interview with The Associated Press shortly before the vote, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., said that if Congress hadn’t passed the aid, “America would have paid a price economically, politically, militarily.”

“Very few things we have done have risen to this level of historic importance,” he said.

On the Senate floor, Schumer said the Senate was sending a message to U.S. allies: “We will stand with you.”

Schumer and Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell made passage of the legislation a top priority, agreeing to tie the Ukraine and Israel aid to help ensure passage and arguing there could be dire consequences for the United States and many of its global allies if Russian President Vladimir Putin’s aggression is left unchecked. They worked with House Speaker Mike Johnson, a Republican, to overcome seemingly intractable Republican opposition to the Ukraine aid, in particular — eventually winning large majorities in both chambers.

McConnell said in a separate interview before the vote that it “is one of the biggest days in the time that I’ve been here.”

“At least on this episode, I think we turned the tables on the isolationists,” McConnell said.

In the end, 31 Republicans voted for the aid package — nine more than when the Senate passed a similar version in February, and a majority of the Senate GOP conference. The House approved the package in a series of four votes on Saturday, with the Ukraine portion passing 311-112.

The $61 billion for Ukraine comes as the war-torn country desperately needs new firepower and as Russian President Vladimir Putin has stepped up his attacks. Ukrainian soldiers have struggled as Russia has seized the momentum on the battlefield and gained significant territory.

Bidentold Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy on Monday the U.S. will send badly needed air defense weaponry as soon as the legislation is passed.

“The President has assured me that the package will be approved quickly and that it will be powerful, strengthening our air defense as well as long-range and artillery capabilities,” Zelenskyy said in a post on X on Monday.

In an effort to gain more votes, Republicans in the House majority also added a bill to the foreign aid package that could ban the social media app TikTok in the U.S. if its Chinese owners do not sell their stake within a year. That legislation had wide bipartisan support in both chambers.

The TikTok bill was one of several tweaks Johnson made to the package the Senate passed in February as he tried to move the bill through the House despite significant opposition within his conference. Other additions include a stipulation that $9 billion of the economic assistance to Ukraine is in the form of “forgivable loans"; provisions that allow the U.S. to seize frozen Russian central bank assets to rebuild Ukraine; and bills to impose sanctions on Iran, Russia, China and criminal organizations that traffic fentanyl.

Those changes appears to have brought some of the nine additional Senate Republicans on board, bringing support to more than half of McConnell’s conference.

South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham, a longtime hawk who voted against the foreign aid package in February because it wasn’t paired with legislation to stem migration at the border, was one of the Republicans who switched their votes. “If we don’t help Ukraine now, this war will spread, and Americans who are not involved will be involved,” Graham said.

The package has had broad congressional support since Biden first requested the money last summer. But congressional leaders had to navigate strong opposition from a growing number of conservatives who question U.S. involvement in foreign wars and argue that Congress should be focused instead on the surge of migration at the U.S.-Mexico border.

Ohio Sen. J.D. Vance, a Republican who is a close ally to Donald Trump, said that despite the strong showing of support for funding Ukraine’s defense, opposition is growing among Republicans.

“The United States is spread too thin,” Vance said, “And that argument, I think, is winning the American people and it’s slowly winning the Senate, but it’s not going to happen overnight.”

The growing fault line in the GOP between those conservatives who are skeptical of the aid and the more traditional “Reagan Republicans” who strongly support it may prove to be career-defining for the two top Republican leaders.

McConnell, who has made the Ukraine aid a top priority, said last month that he would step down from leadership after becoming increasingly distanced from many in his conference on the Ukraine aid and other issues. Johnson, who said he put the bills on the floor after praying for guidance, faces threats of an ouster after a majority of Republicans voted against the aid to Ukraine.

Johnson said after House passage that “we did our work here, and I think history will judge it well.”

Opponents in the Senate, like the House, included some left-wing senators who are opposed to aiding Israel as Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has bombarded Gaza and killed thousands of civilians. Sens. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., and Jeff Merkley, D-Ore., voted against the package.

“We must end our complicity in this terrible war,” Sanders said.

https://apnews.com/article/israel-ukraine-aid-tiktok-senate-8fe738b17e5c4b2636bc0de11b2620b7
110 2,461 Read More
Re: Woman who accused Trevor Bauer of sexual assault indicted for fraud in Arizona PerfectSpiral 04/24/24 02:42 PM
I don’t think Trevor really cares either way. He just broke a Mexican league record. Nine consecutive strike outs.
8 629 Read More
Re: Cleveland Guardians bonefish 04/24/24 10:28 AM
WOW!

What a start they are cooking. Manzardo is a stud. Hope they bring him up soon.

Guardians play the Braves this weekend. They avoid Max Fried who pitched a gem last night. Complete game shutout 3 hitter.

Should be a great series. The two best teams in the AL and NL.
59 2,086 Read More