Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Legend
Legend
D
Oh I thought we was talking about his season thus far as a whole and not a specific play. My apologies....

He's slipped more than once.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
Can we add missing tackles to the list. No jam, and he is falling and slipping more than I care to see.

Certainly needs to improve. Rush would help mightily.

Hard to fault a guy for slipping.

Technique... Haden has loosened his technique to make up for not being able to jam or stall, in any way, a WR coming off the line. I'm not a Pro or a coach, just opinion here, but I thought this was why Haden is so good at defending AJ Green, because AJ hates being jammed and has a hard time recovering to run his route.

Joe getting beat up at the line this season, and looks like a high schooler trying to recover. All JMO.

The play I was thinking about was when Cooper caught a ball and then Haden whiffed on the tackle (because of a slip) that allowed many more yards.

People slip, it happens. By the same token, on a dry field (your OWN field), quite often a slip is more because he was not set or balanced or prepared to make the move he had to make... which is a technique issue.

yebat' Putin
C
Rookie
Rookie
C
Joe Haden is the most overrated CB in the NFL. The same could be said for our defense as a whole before the season started. Don't believe me just go read some of their preseason quotes. Now they are rated just right-BAD.

V
Legend
Legend
V
He didn't play because of a "hand?" Really?

He's a corner back. And he doesn't play because of a hand? McCown hurt his hand and he played..........and he's a freaking qb.

Haden is part of the problem w/this team. Loser mentality.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

I think we are paying him a ton of money for the next 3 years as well...Maybe he is taking a lead from Bowe...ugh

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." [Mark Twain]
R
Legend
Legend
R

I agree with this.

V
Legend
Legend
V
We all know that the difference between 2 and 2 and 1 and 3 is HUGE!!!

And he sits out w/a hand injury. He's not a qb. He's not a WR. He's not even a RB. He's a freaking corner.

Legend
Legend
He didn't play because of a "hand?" Really?

He's a corner back. And he doesn't play because of a hand? McCown hurt his hand and he played..........and he's a freaking qb.

He was inactive due to "ribs/finger". cbssports

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
If it was ribs......then, I take back what I said.

I saw on the screen that he was inactive due to a hand injury.

But, obviously, the ribs change everything. That is a legit injury.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Even the announcers were baffled as they had talked to Haden the night before.

I think corners are like RBs. You can find them later in the draft. I would see what Haden would bring back in a trade.

I completely disagree with you on Desir though. I think he has shown a lot of improvement. Good position even on catches. You would hope with continued experience he will continue to get better.

Back to Haden ...one thing I would like some inside knowledge on. How much work does he do on the technique aspect of the position and how much film study does he do?

V
Legend
Legend
V
I didn't mention DeSir on this thread. I think he played pretty good today. I just don't think he played better than Whit. I don't even think it was that close. I was just making a point on the other thread about predetermined opinions and he got his little feelings hurt.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
Back to Haden ...one thing I would like some inside knowledge on. How much work does he do on the technique aspect of the position and how much film study does he do?

One comment spoke to me loudly last year. Joe was talking about Manziel after yet another picture came out of JM doing something stupid. Joe said something like, we all like to party, but just like a DD, you gotta have to be aware of the phones. He was referring to the cameras on the phones. He was talking about how guys like him might not be recognized, but Johnny would be.

So, it wasn't about living a clean lifestyle, it was about not getting caught. I thought.........that's exactly why he is not one of the top corners. There are guys who want it. There are guys who are satisfied and love the life, rather than the ring and jacket.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Yeah I don't get the impression Haden is all that competitive. Lacks the fire to want to get the best of his man. Doesn't necessarily hate to lose.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Do you remember when you and I had a conversation about competitiveness of the players when Chud was here? Joe was one of the guys I was referring to.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I think it's been a problem on this team with a lot of players for a long time, including Haden and Thomas.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Yeah I don't get the impression Haden is all that competitive. Lacks the fire to want to get the best of his man. Doesn't necessarily hate to lose.

One thing that I am miffed about with the guy is that he has played great in spurts. A good part of last year he was really pretty good. Has he just given up because the defense as a whole has way underachieved? The losing has finally gotten to him?

Congratulations to our 2016 NBA Champion CLEVELAND CAVALIERS!!! Greatest comeback in sports history... Hail to the King!

The great QB guru and the Moneyball group: 1-15
Record of Criminal Haslam owned Browns: 20-60 (0.250)
R
Legend
Legend
R
If you take away the first four games of last year, I thought Haden was the second best CB in the league after Revis.

He's a frustrating player because he's not consistent. And he has the pedigree and the ability to be dominant. At some point you have to wonder how bad he wants it.

Seems like we've been asking that question every year he's been in the league.

This team is in desperate need of winners. They are in desperate need of players who just hate to lose. I don't think Haden falls into that category.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
This team is in desperate need of winners. They are in desperate need of players who just hate to lose.

When I was coaching, we occasionally had the conversation about which kinda player you would rather have. The guy who loves to win or the guy who hates to lose. The guys I respected most all agreed that it's the guy who hates to lose.

Guys who love to win are great when you are winning, but buckle when things get tough. Think about how many late-game completions Joe gives up. Guys who hate to lose, never give up. I know most everyone of you hates Ray Lewis, but I would have taken that guy on my team over almost anyone who wasn't a qb.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Joe Haden is living off holding A.J Green in check a couple games.
He doesn't create enough turnovers.
He's a very good CB.
But he's not in the same league as a Janoris Jenkins
Or Richard Sherman.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: WhatCanBrownDo4U
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

One thing that I am miffed about with the guy is that he has played great in spurts. A good part of last year he was really pretty good. Has he just given up because the defense as a whole has way underachieved? The losing has finally gotten to him?

Of course it is. It's getting to all of them. Joe Thomas comments are pretty much defeatism. Who cares? We're a good team, but we're coached horribly. Of course they feel defeated.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Mike Pettine left it up to Joe Haden who decided 'he didn't want to' play with broken finger vs. Chargers

CLEVELAND, Ohio --- Browns coach Mike Pettine stressed Monday that it was Joe Haden's decision not to play in San Diego with his broken right finger.

Furthermore the NFL is looking into why Haden was listed as probable on Friday with his rib and finger injuries and then a surprise scratch on gameday.

"We left it up to Joe, and he made the decision that he didn't want to go,'' Pettine said Monday during his news conference.

Pettine said he didn't know Haden wasn't going to play until the morning of Sunday's 30-27 loss when he tested it in pre-game warmups.

"He went out with (assistant secondary coach/corners) Aaron Glenn,'' said Pettine. "They went ahead and covered [his finger] up. He went out and worked out before the deadline to turn in the inactives to see if he could go or he couldn't."

A league source told Northeast Ohio Media Group that Haden sat out the game not just with the broken finger, but the rib injury as well.

After the game, Pettine explained that the Browns had to do some last-minute scrambling against Philip Rivers and trio of quality receivers in Keenan Allen, Malcom Floyd and Stevie Johnson.

"Joe practiced with it during the week in some pain,'' Pettine said Sunday. "I just don't think that it ever lessened to the point that he could go. He came out early and tested it and decided that he couldn't go. So we had to adjust."

An NFL spokesman told NEOMG, "As is customary in these instances, we have checked in with the club on this to provide an explanation here. We are looking into it.''

Profootballtalk.com first reported that the league was investigating, which is standard anytime a player who's probable -- meaning there's a 75% chance they'll play -- sits out the game.

The Browns now have 48 hours to submit a written explanation of why Haden didn't play. Frankly, they might be a little puzzled about that themselves.

On Friday, Haden said he was going to play because he knew the defense needed him. It was already without nickelback K'Waun Williams, and safety Tashaun Gipson was questionable with a groin injury.

"I'm ready to go,'' said Haden. "I'm going to be fine.''

He added that he was banged up, but "just trying to fight through it."

He even appeared to be pulling his shirt on slowly before the interview, which indicated the ribs might still be bothering him.

"Definitely, you gotta do what you gotta do, man, when you're trying to get the defense right,'' he said. "I feel like I gotta be out there."

It wasn't the first time there was an apparent disconnect between Haden and the coaching staff over an injury this season. During last week's 27-20 loss to the Raiders, Haden suffered the rib injury on the first play of the game when he took rookie receiver Amari Cooper's helmet to his ribs. Haden stayed in the game, but gave up four straight passes to Cooper before the Browns went to more of a zone defense.

After the game, Pettine cut Haden no slack.

"We have our best corner on their best receiver, and they made plays,'' said Pettine. "We had to do some juggling, and I will be curious to see on the tape how it played out. ....There were times where they were going good against good and they were making plays, especially early."

The next day, Pettine said he made those remarks before he knew that Haden hurt the ribs on the opening play. Instead, he thought he first hurt them after making the tackle on a 54-yard run in the third quarter. Haden went to the locker room after that, but returned.

X-rays on the ribs were negative, but it was diagnosed the following day as a rib contusion, a source said.

On Thursday, defensive coordinator Jim O'Neil also said he didn't know Haden had hurt the ribs on the first play.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/10/mike_pettine_said_joe_haden_de.html

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
V
Legend
Legend
V
The dumpster fire continues to burn out of control. Man!

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
The dumpster fire continues to burn out of control. Man!

as far as i am concerned this could have just as easy gone into your team morale thread.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
will probably need its own thread when Pet gets suspended.

Legend
Legend
something is amiss with this whole Haden not active thing ... whether he spouted off, decided to make a statement and not play, or something else ... something seems fishy (per usual)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Legend
Legend
R
Haden was upset with the fans after the Oakland game.

Maybe it has something to do with that.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I think he was upset because Pet called him out for not doing a good job of covering Cooper in the Oakland game.

If that is true, Joe should be traded immediately. I am not saying he needs to be happy w/Pet's criticism, but to sit out a game because of it is inexcusable.

It's a loser's mentality.

Legend
Legend
I agree. The fact that Pettine would say Joe "chose" not to play is very telling. Say what you want about Pet, but he rarely (if ever) makes his players look bad in the media.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
will probably need its own thread when Pet gets suspended.

To me, it sounds as if Pettine was rather blinded by Haden's decision not to play, especially after practicing all week with the injuries and with Haden saying Friday, he was going to play.

There could be more to this story but it sounds like Haden "suddenly" felt much worse on Sunday morning. Just what did Pettine do that needs to be investigated?

I'm sure there is more to the story that might become public in the future...then again, we may be left to read between the lines.

IMO, Pettine sounded like he was surprised with Haden's decision, not to play.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
I think he was upset because Pet called him out for not doing a good job of covering Cooper in the Oakland game.

If that is true, Joe should be traded immediately. I am not saying he needs to be happy w/Pet's criticism, but to sit out a game because of it is inexcusable.

It's a loser's mentality.

vers...given the way officials are calling the game, not allowing defenders to get away with as much as they did in the past, it puts Haden at a disadvantage.

Haden suddenly looks very average once you take his "hands on" style away. If a team is willing to give up a first round pick, it might be best to let Haden go.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
D
Legend
Legend
D
A finger injury is one thing, but a rib injury is a whole other thing. I know from experience that when you have bruised ribs, everything hurts. Every movement, every cough, every laugh, or even just breathing hurts - a lot. I can't imagine playing football well when you're in that kind of pain. Haden has probably earned the benefit of the doubt here because whatever problems any of us ever had with his performances, I've never seen him dog it.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
Haden has probably earned the benefit of the doubt here because whatever problems any of us ever had with his performances, I've never seen him dog it.

This right here.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dave
A finger injury is one thing, but a rib injury is a whole other thing. I know from experience that when you have bruised ribs, everything hurts. Every movement, every cough, every laugh, or even just breathing hurts - a lot. I can't imagine playing football well when you're in that kind of pain. Haden has probably earned the benefit of the doubt here because whatever problems any of us ever had with his performances, I've never seen him dog it.

No doubt about it ... if it's a bad bruise/crack to the ribs he wouldn't be a wimp for sitting out (and I understand the incentive to NOT let other teams know that his ribs are hurt ... and a finger injury is a good way to hide that)

BUT ... the fact that he was listed as PROBABLE and Pettine's words made it sound like Joe decided not to play make it seem weird. If he was listed as QUESTIONABLE and Pettine said he was "too hurt to go this week" (whether a finger or rib injury) I'd accept it and move on.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I agree w/you in regards to rib injuries. The problem is that it was his finger that was the concern and not the ribs.

D
Legend
Legend
D
The problem is that it was his finger that was the concern and not the ribs.

From the article posted by PBlack above:

Quote:
A league source told Northeast Ohio Media Group that Haden sat out the game not just with the broken finger, but the rib injury as well.

I don't understand why Pettine is making it sound like the finger prevented Haden from playing, when apparently the Browns reported both the finger and ribs as reasons for being out of the lineup. Maybe he doesn't want it known that Haden is playing with injured ribs? I wish the Browns would stop being so weasily about injuries, like they're putting something over on somebody. Pettine had to know this would reflect badly on Haden. Its a good way to lose your locker room, dissing vets to the media.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I think there is certainly a problem between Pet and Haden. No doubt.

I mentioned earlier that I read another article yesterday that talked about the finger being the issue w/Haden and not the ribs. It was written later in the week. You can choose to believe if I am making that up or not.

But yeah, the main point is that there is a problem between Pet and Haden. That seems pretty obvious.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I'm starting to believe Haden was okay to go, but whatever reason(s) decided to sit it out.

You got JT, pro bowler all pro, playing through mcl issues and injuries, and your corner you paid a ton to cannot play because "his finger?"

I think there's more to this story, and the roads will lead to more shame. JMO

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
NFL looking into Joe Haden sitting vs. Chargers despite being probable

Link

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The NFL is looking into why Joe Haden was probable for Sunday's 30-27 loss to the Chargers but was ruled inactive for the game that morning.

Haden was listed as probable with rib and finger injuries suffered during the 27-20 loss to the Raiders Sept. 27th, meaning he had a 75% chance of playing.

Coach Mike Pettine revealed after the Chargers game that the finger was broken.

An NFL spokesman confirmed for Northeast Ohio Media Group Monday that the league was investigating, which was first reported by profootballtalk.com.

"As is customary in these instances, we have checked in with the club on this to provide an explanation here,'' the spokesman said. "We are looking into it.''

The Browns now have 48 hours to submit a written explanation of why Haden didn't play.

Haden was limited in practice all week, and had two of the fingers on his right hand taped together when he walked out to the practice field on Friday. After practice, after pulling his shirt on slowly, he said he'd play, in part because nickelback K'Waun Williams was ruled out with a concussion and safety Tashaun Gipson was questionable with a groin injury.

He also said he wouldn't need to wear a flak jacket to protect the ribs.

"Definitely, you gotta do what you gotta do when you're trying to get the defense right,'' he said. "I feel like I gotta be out there."

But Haden went out and tested the finger in pre-game warmups and was ruled inactive shortly thereafter.

"We left it up to Joe, and he made the decision that he didn't want to go,'' Pettine said Monday.

Pettine said Haden went out onto the field with assistant secondary coach Aaron Glenn to test the finger. A source told NEOMG that Haden was also struggling with the rib injury that morning.

"They went ahead and covered (his finger) up,'' he said. "He went out and worked out before the deadline to turn in the inactives to see if he could go or he couldn't."

Gipson also left the game with an ankle injury and did not return, leaving the Browns without Williams, Haden or Gipson on the Chargers gamewinning field goal drive.

Pettine said he hoped to get some of his injured players back for Baltimore this week, and "hopefully Joe can get more comfortable with the finger injury so we can get him back out there as well.''

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Joe Banner ‏@JoeBanner13 29m29 minutes ago
Luckily I worked with Joe Haden for 1 1/2 yrs. I don't know what happened in this situation, but he is a great player & person. Top notch!!!

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: pblack18707
Joe Banner ‏@JoeBanner13 29m29 minutes ago
Luckily I worked with Joe Haden for 1 1/2 yrs. I don't know what happened in this situation, but he is a great player & person. Top notch!!!

lol @ CaptainIrrelevant
Why even bother posting that guy's drivel? He's an idiot, and he's not even in the league.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum How do YOU rate Joe Haden?

Link Copied to Clipboard