Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: eotab
If you don't have deep help...its dangerous to jam them sometimes. Just saying.

Yup. If you don't have good help over the top and you get beat at the LoS, now you're playing catch-up with very poor position.

It's a tough system to ask your CB's to play, and the downside is that if you lose your top CB's, your effectiveness plummets. You then are faced with having to either just keep playing it and try to cover/mask the deficiencies, or you'd pretty much have to scrap the scheme and go vanilla - and this is where we're kinda at.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Dawg_LB Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Wow...

This thread is quite depressing actually. No one is really stating anything that is far out, yet there so many different and various things being posted.

This team is a melted snow cone lol..

D
Legend
Legend
D
Not to over-simplify, but it seems to me that if you can't play press man-to-man, jamming your guy a la Hanford and Minnie, then you can't play man-to-man at all. If you're giving a 5-7 yard cushion, these WRs eat your lunch all day on the short-medium range passes, just moving the ball down the field in 7-10-15 yard chunks. Plus, our DBs are so prone to biting on the double move that its only a matter of time before they get beat, even with the cushion they're giving, because they've been set up to try jumping the route by the shorter passes success earlier in the game. At least in press coverage you have a chance to disrupt the timing of a pattern at the only point on the field where you can legally touch the receiver. I could be wrong, but I just think that if your CBs can't play press - get a strong jam at the LOS - then you should go with some well disguised zone coverage schemes instead.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Do you think the scheme is lacking, and putting too much pressure on the DBs?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

There are many things that need to happen but the "one" thing that has to be corrected is the ability to make the right decisions on personnel.

It starts with the draft but it also pertains to the entire roster.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

I hadn't thought of that which is why I read on here everyday in hopes of learning things. Thanks

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

That seems counter - intuitive ...wouldn't you want to jam them if you don't have over the top help? The goal would seem to be to disrupt the timing and keep containment? When I watch plays - especially sideline throws - we don't jam and the over-the top help seems to always be late...

Also, do t you jam if you blitz? I was thinking we don't jam b/c we drop back in coverage and don't full blitz too often?? But that seems counter intuitive as you'd think we'd have over the top help...maybe?

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." [Mark Twain]
E
Legend
Legend
E
Just read the draft day comments around PET and staff regarding the drafting of Gilbert. All about the scheme with the Cover CB and how much it needs stud CB...we were counting on Haden and a stud Gilbert to make this work from the get go.

Now its being touted that Kwan Williams could very well be our best Cover Corner. Not so much as BAD scheme just sometimes things don't work out as planned.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
Legend
Legend
P
Not so much as BAD scheme just sometimes things don't work out as planned.

jmho

And this is the part that concerns me most. We all know things don't work out as planned when injuries hit or players don't pan out. That happens all over the NFL.

I mean we all know when you have players like Bademosi on the field, you don't have a top notch cover corner out there. They have to realize they need to make adjustments when the personnel dictates. Certainly they should understand they need to adjust to have help over the top.

The fact that things don't work out as planned isn't the issue to me. It's how the coaching staff reacts to that situation that I find troubling.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

jmho

And this is the part that concerns me most. We all know things don't work out as planned when injuries hit or players don't pan out. That happens all over the NFL.

I mean we all know when you have players like Bademosi on the field, you don't have a top notch cover corner out there. They have to realize they need to make adjustments when the personnel dictates. Certainly they should understand they need to adjust to have help over the top.

The fact that things don't work out as planned isn't the issue to me. It's how the coaching staff reacts to that situation that I find troubling.

yea. thats about it.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Legend
Legend
Our zone is worse. . . and our prevent is worse than our zone. I hope press buys a few more steps for our sleds leaning on blockers while pass "rushing" in most situations. We will outcrop them, the scheme disguises it so it will be a big surprise when we spring it on them, and we probably drop Shelton into help coverage at strong safety. This wait and chase cushion crap is infuriating to me.

If you are going to lose, go down swinging, get your licks in. We aren't ambitious or eager to score, tackle, cover, or run hard. Thank Gawd we have stuck by our guns.

Anything to practice well, put on pretty new unis, and lose. So disappointed that this is all we could manage this year.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
E
Legend
Legend
E
I have expressed some disatisfaction in those areas myself. I see it the most with the Defense. I have made no bones about it that this 2015 Browns teams was going to go as far as the Defense took us. I was not that worried with the offense as much as others. Most games we won and/or lost due to the Defense. I don't want change...but I would welcome the firing of our DC as I think he is in over his head.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

jmho

This.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
For me its 3 major issues.
1. Defense
2. Run Game
3. Coaches dont appear to know there is a difference between practice warriors and game day players.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
1. Defense
2. Run Game
3. Coaches dont appear to know there is a difference between practice warriors and game day players.

#3 is a huge issue for this staff.

And Pettine is afraid to hurt people's feelings. He's afraid to hurt Bademosi's feelings because Bademosi is asking good questions in the film room and Gilbert is not. So Bademosi gets the start. It's so silly.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
1. Defense
2. Run Game

#3 is a huge issue for this staff.

And Pettine is afraid to hurt people's feelings. He's afraid to hurt Bademosi's feelings because Bademosi is asking good questions in the film room and Gilbert is not. So Bademosi gets the start. It's so silly.

Are you saying that Bademosi or Gilbert is the practice warrior? Neither have played well in games.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I'd like to see my favorite player, Dwayne Bowe, Get more playing time. With all he has done for this team, dedication and hard work he deserves it. If we ever release him teams will be standing in line to sign him. thumbsup

L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
I would say correct the team's location. Make it LA.

I think L.A. would rather the movie 'San Andreas' become a documentary.

I vote "no" on that one.

I vote no on that too. I live in the same town you do, (Monrovia)

Last edited by LA Brown fan; 11/23/15 02:09 PM.
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
JH revisiting talks with the Schottenstiens to buy the team.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: BpG
Fix the absolute garbage run game.

OH YEAH!!!!

That's mine too. We had a reasonable run game last year. Not great but something to build off of. We scored 16 rushing TD's. We have a very inexperienced Johnny playing QB. RUN THE DAMNED BALL! A carry here and there in between throwing it 45+ times a game is NOT developing a run game. I can't WAIT to see Johnny throw the ball 45 times in 0 degree weather with 40 MPH winds swirling around the stadium. That will be funny.

Flip isn't even TRYING to run the ball. It's like an after thought to this team.....

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have expressed some disatisfaction in those areas myself. I see it the most with the Defense. I have made no bones about it that this 2015 Browns teams was going to go as far as the Defense took us. I was not that worried with the offense as much as others. Most games we won and/or lost due to the Defense. I don't want change...but I would welcome the firing of our DC as I think he is in over his head.

jmho

Why would you not want change? You like how the team is playing? You think this is good football? What exactly has Pettine done to earn your undying devotion? Name ONE thing he does better than the next coach? Just ONE.

Are the Browns better prepared than our opponents? No
Is Pettine a better tactician than other coaches? No
Does he make better in game adjustments than other coaches? No
Is he a better teacher? Is he developing our young players better than other coaches do theirs? NO
Is he a better disciplinarian than other coaches? Do the Browns show good discipline when the play? HELL NO.

Man, I know you are a die hard homer and every coach we have is the greatest ever, but come on..... Not even you can think this dunderhead is a stud HC. He will NEVER be the reason we win. At best, if he hired the two best coordinators in the league, we might be able to win in spite of him. Problem is our coordinators aren't very good. Pettine was SUPPOSED to be a defensive guru. Unfortunately, our D flat out blows....

I want a HC that can change the losing nature of this franchise. Not just spout some inane platitude about "playing like Browns". I don't want us to play like Browns I want us to play like CHAMPIONS. Pettine will never be THAT coach.

Farmer has to go and Pettine as well. Total rebuild. I HATE that but another Farmer draft will KILL this team and another year of this lame ass NPD defense will kill ME. It will kill me liver! I HATE the NPD. 31 sacks last year SUCKED. I can almost guarantee we won't reach that number this year. 16 total so far with 6 games left. Not looking good. Pathetic.

I'm 53 years old and in poor health. If Haslam keeps hiring guys like Pettine and Farmer I won't live to see a playoff game let alone a SB birth.

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77

jmho

Why would you not want change? You like how the team is playing? You think this is good football? What exactly has Pettine done to earn your undying devotion? Name ONE thing he does better than the next coach? Just ONE.

Are the Browns better prepared than our opponents? No
Is Pettine a better tactician than other coaches? No
Does he make better in game adjustments than other coaches? No
Is he a better teacher? Is he developing our young players better than other coaches do theirs? NO
Is he a better disciplinarian than other coaches? Do the Browns show good discipline when the play? HELL NO.

I'm 53 years old and in poor health. If Haslam keeps hiring guys like Pettine and Farmer I won't live to see a playoff game let alone a SB birth.

Largely agree. Thanks for posting. Sorry to hear your health is poor. Football is "just" a game as some say, but I certainly understand your passion to see the Browns will one before the end of your time here. Maybe if I myself were a younger man, I would be different.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: berea

And you were there.

#gmstrong
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Originally Posted By: ddubia
Originally Posted By: berea

And you were there.

This would be the one thing I would like to see "corrected" or changed, as the thread title offers...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Put the Browns bench back on the south side of the stadium.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Why would you not want change? You like how the team is playing?

Ummm cause it worked so well (change) THE 6 TIMES BEFORE this would be 7.

I've said it before, Continuity is good and don't give me bunk about yeah but continuity of so n so is bad. No, Continuity of Football is good, don't mean you cannot make it better as per my opinion possibly the DC to change.

We have not tried continuity, we sure as heck have tried Change...why you like that result? Why would you expect a different result.

Stick with something and let it turn the corner!!! For ONCE!!!

And take that crap about LIKING us losing and stuff, Of course I don't like losing. I do like the good stuff I see and of course the bad I want eliminated.

I was pretty specific. I don't like losing. But you take good things and build on it. Just like many dynasties in the past. Get better, get better players. I like the way the team is playing better than the new REBUILDING PROJECT That will come along and then you will be making the same statement of Firing and rebooting again.

As for Old n poor health - got you beat unfortunately in both areas. We've tried the reboot...you like the way that has gone? Then why pretend that is the solution here?

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

L
Legend
Legend
L
I thought spirit was spot on with his points and I'm not a guy who likes to fire coaches all the time, however.... continuity means nothing if it's the same continuous crap. Not saying I want Pett fired, but he's running out of aces.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I like the idea of letting someone finish what he started. Everytime the Browns gave a HC 5 years we were in the playoffs.

Every time we rebooted after 2 years we were rebooting again after 2 years.

Continuity is the only hope. Rebooting is merely doing what we've been doing with no success.

Over the years since our return ALL those coaches can't be that bad. ALL those players can't be that untalented. To chose that many bad coaches and pick that many bad players over the years would almost have to have been the goal for it to turn out so wrong.

Let this Head Coach work his way through it. Let these players learn a scheme for once instead of pulling the rug out from under them before they get a chance to succeed.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
And we suck at rebooting, even with all this experience.

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Only the Browns can achieve a loss during a bye week.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I've said it before, Continuity is good and don't give me bunk about yeah but continuity of so n so is bad. No, Continuity of Football is good, don't mean you cannot make it better as per my opinion possibly the DC to change.

We have not tried continuity, we sure as heck have tried Change...why you like that result? Why would you expect a different result.

And take that crap about LIKING us losing and stuff, Of course I don't like losing. I do like the good stuff I see and of course the bad I want eliminated.

I was pretty specific. I don't like losing. But you take good things and build on it. Just like many dynasties in the past. Get better, get better players. I like the way the team is playing better than the new REBUILDING PROJECT That will come along and then you will be making the same statement of Firing and rebooting again.

As for Old n poor health - got you beat unfortunately in both areas. We've tried the reboot...you like the way that has gone? Then why pretend that is the solution here?

jmho

Fine. lets stick with Pettine and Farmer. They've EARNED it. I LOVE this defense. Really man. It's prefect. And Farmers drafts? Doesn't get any better. Gilbert is an asset, BIG TIME. He's won us a LOT of games sitting on the bench. Johnny? Want's not to like about Johnny Rehab? Then we have the fattest and slowest Nose on the planet and a back up O-lineman. I can sure see why you're hoping Farmer sticks around. With first round picks like that we'll be in fine shape come 2045.

I too hate the turnover, but man these guys suck. Sucking for five more years won't make them SUCK any less.

Pettine preached all off season about stopping the run. We draft Shelton so we can stop the run. Passing on any chance at a pass rush. So how did that work out EO? ALL the effort of last off season and the results are? LAST PLACE against the run. I seriously doubt we get 25 sacks. Zero pass rush and zero ability to stop the run. Oh yeah, give me five more years of this crap. Please. LMAO

Enough of this crap. Farmer is horrible at the draft. Horrible. Pettine is not a HC. Hell, he's not a DC if this defense is any indication....

You want Pettine to stay? Tell me ONE thing he's good at? Just one man.

Last edited by Spiritbro77; 11/25/15 05:19 AM.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg
Only the Browns can achieve a loss during a bye week.

Sad, but true. I don't see anything positive this week...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
E
Legend
Legend
E
I LOVE this defense. Really man. It's prefect.

you didn't read a word I said. smh just pretend I said I loved this defense leave it at is...

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: ddubia
I like the idea of letting someone finish what he started. Everytime the Browns gave a HC 5 years we were in the playoffs.

Blasphemy!!

What is the worst thing that happens? Same thing that happens blowing it up after 2 years. In theory, we save money on 1 1/2 staff changes. That alone is at least one plus, and it pays the bill signing Dwayne Bowe, second plus.

Good, well, they simply may figure it out...out-of-the-boxing-thinking right there folks!!! "Stupid" doing the same thing again and again expecting different results. Where have I seen that before?!

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: bugs

Good, well, they simply may figure it out...out-of-the-boxing-thinking right there folks!!!

Well of course you need out of the boxing thinking.

This is FOOTBALL DAMN IT!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77

jmho

Fine. lets stick with Pettine and Farmer. They've EARNED it. I LOVE this defense. Really man. It's prefect. And Farmers drafts? Doesn't get any better. Gilbert is an asset, BIG TIME. He's won us a LOT of games sitting on the bench. Johnny? Want's not to like about Johnny Rehab? Then we have the fattest and slowest Nose on the planet and a back up O-lineman. I can sure see why you're hoping Farmer sticks around. With first round picks like that we'll be in fine shape come 2045.

LOL rofl

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2015 NFL Season Looking Back: Bye Week Your "one" thing you'd like to see corrected...

Link Copied to Clipboard