Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Manziel is one the most elusive QB's I've ever seen at escaping pressure. He must really frustrate the hell out of pass rushers, near the end of the game Brooks had Johnny by the neck after the play and wasn't letting go. Then he punched Crowell after he tackled him the next play, the guy was starting to come unglued. I thought he was gonna get kicked out.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Knight
Manziel is one the most elusive QB's I've ever seen at escaping pressure.

He reminds me of Fran Tarkenton.

All Pro
All Pro
Johnny played a decent game. I'll just leave it at that and enjoy the win.

Last in, first out, the sign of a true champion!
[Linked Image from i301.photobucket.com]
L
Legend
Legend
L
LMAO

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
shhhh Vambo don't show those to Johnny. If he scrambles like that on first or second down and gets sacked we don't need any 2nd or 3rd down and 50 situations willynilly

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
M
Legend
Legend
M
jc:

Johnny's willingness to play from the pocket really impressed me. There were times he held the ball far too long, but I got the sense it was because he was trying to force a play throwing from the pocket rather than rely on perhaps previous instincts to run from it. I hope he'll be able to find that healthy balance and not eliminate his ability to make plays with his legs, something no coach can teach and still a valuable asset to Johnny's game.

Very few mistakes and was really pleased with how he played. His ability to extend plays is so exciting to watch.

I hope it continues. fingerscrossed

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
The single best thing I keep noticing about Johnny is that he continues to progress and get a little bit better every time he takes the field.

I *REALLY* liked when he was whacking himself in the head with the tablet after that stupid INT because:
1. it showed that he immediately came to see what went wrong
2. he very quickly saw and diagnosed the error
3. he held himself accountable for the mistake
4. it showed he cares and wants to get better

If the kid can button down his life off-the-field and become a real Professional, I'm starting to believe that he has a real chance to be something.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Good post.

I have been all over the place regarding Johnny. I have defended him, berated him, praised him, trashed him, etc.

He is such a polarizing figure. He is such a boom or bust type of player. He just doesn't fit into a neat little package that we can secure and put a bow on.

All I know is that the Browns will be a lot better off if he somehow pans out, so that is what I am hoping for.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
He is such a polarizing figure. He is such a boom or bust type of player. He just doesn't fit into a neat little package that we can secure and put a bow on.

All I know is that the Browns will be a lot better off if he somehow pans out, so that is what I am hoping for.

He does not fit into such a package. There is nothing in his game that makes you say "He'll never succeed because ....."... Similarly, there is nothing in his game that makes you say, "He'll be great because...."

His height and his history of running around are obstacles but shorter QBs can have success and the running around can get under control if he is willing to work on it. The arm strength is there, the competitiveness is there, the accuracy is pretty good, the presnap reads have come a long way in a short period of time, the post snap progressions are getting more and more noticable, knowledge of the playbook seems to be constantly improving......

yebat' Putin
E
Legend
Legend
E
I don't think its such a hard read. The kid should be good to great the x factor is his maturity does he breakdown to old ways?

Here is my thought process on that. Starting out i had a good outlook on him - I watched almost all of his college games in 2013 there was so much that I liked of him coming in. But day one I knew he would have to sit a year and get groomed for the NFL game.

Now the experts - Some hated him and just stated that he would never be an NFL QB cause he could never throw from the pocket. Never ever yada yada...Billick the self acclaimed genius was in this grouping.

Then you had your analyst who claimed you have to just let him be JFF don't try to teach him the NFL game. Of course those guys I thought were just idiots.

Then you had Gruden who loved him but then he loves everyone so how do you go on that/

But we insisted on making him an NFL QB and we knew he could. Everyone gave Pettine grief when he criticized and refused to let Johnny just be johnny and not get better - he knew he could be better.

And in one week of preparation the impossible was proven possible and JM threw from the pocket and got it. There is no reason why that JM can't be that pocket guy first and then improv 2nd. When he hunkers down and lets himself be coached up. He has responded. He will be great only he can stop his destiny to be a great NFL QB.

Back in college I remember his 1st year Heisman he went and hired tutors to help him throw from the pocket...not college related. and then 2013 he was probably one of the best spread O QBs from the pocket when he threw from there. That is when I knew he could become an NFL QB. I knew he was coachable - what I didn't know was his partying was holding him back...it wasn't just feeling his Oats.

hand hurts have to stop here.

as always jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:

He does not fit into such a package. There is nothing in his game that makes you say "He'll never succeed because ....."... Similarly, there is nothing in his game that makes you say, "He'll be great because...."

I agree with Vers on this. I think Manziel is a huge boom or bust. He has excellent QB tools, is smart, extremely competitive and is a natural leader. Really the only thing that can stop him from becoming a very good QB (besides injury) is himself, which is what makes him boom or bust to me.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
If he is the man we will need about two dozen of those tabs. Worth it it is!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted By: eotab
I don't think its such a hard read. The kid should be good to great the x factor is his maturity does he breakdown to old ways?

Good to great? I hope you're right, I just don't see it...<sigh>

Last in, first out, the sign of a true champion!
[Linked Image from i301.photobucket.com]
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: Stetson76

He's got some learning to do, no doubt. But, he played well against the steelers, and had a good game against the niners. I know, I know - it was "just the niners". But, overall, he played well.

The 2 plays that really bothered me was the int. It bothered him as well. A qb needs to know that a pass like that, across his body and across the field - just not a smart play.

The other play was his attempt at scrambling in the endzone. He got bailed out by a fluke face mask call. 95 times out of 100, if he does that, we give up a safety.

He's young. He's learning. Best thing for him now is to play - best thing for the Browns is for him to play.

Let's not expect too much, either. Seattle, KC, and the stoolers - if my memory serves me. Let's just see growth out of him.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I find it kind of funny. Many didn't give us any chance to win this game. Now that they were wrong "It's only the 49'ers".

Seems rather disingenuous to me. Yes they aren't a highly ranked team, but they'd just beaten the Bears and had won twice as many games as we had going into Sundays game.

I was happy with the win and thought they played well as a team on both sides of the ball. Was it perfect? No, but it was progress.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
I was happy with the win.

I was happy with how manziel played. And the o line, the d line, our running game.

Here's the bottom line: We have to play the games the nfl puts on the schedule.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I find it kind of funny. Many didn't give us any chance to win this game. Now that they were wrong "It's only the 49'ers".

Seems rather disingenuous to me. Yes they aren't a highly ranked team, but they'd just beaten the Bears and had won twice as many games as we had going into Sundays game.

I was happy with the win and thought they played well as a team on both sides of the ball. Was it perfect? No, but it was progress.

Agree. I can't see why people state the win was no big deal. Weren't the Browns week before slotted for the first pick in the draft? Anyone they beat is technically an upset. Regardless the game at very least was enjoyable and looked like real football!

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
jc:

Johnny's willingness to play from the pocket really impressed me. There were times he held the ball far too long, but I got the sense it was because he was trying to force a play throwing from the pocket rather than rely on perhaps previous instincts to run from it. I hope he'll be able to find that healthy balance and not eliminate his ability to make plays with his legs, something no coach can teach and still a valuable asset to Johnny's game.

Very few mistakes and was really pleased with how he played. His ability to extend plays is so exciting to watch.

I hope it continues. fingerscrossed

Play from the pocket? Hell if you recorded the game watch it again. He made the Statue Of Liberty look hyper a few times lol If anybody would have suggested this right after he was drafted many folks would have claimed it was not possible. Some folks would have said they knew he could do it. Put me in the No way in hell crowd lol Johnny has come a long, long, way. Is he there yet, NOPE, but he has busted his ass to get a lot closer. The only thing standing between Johnny and a good career is himself right now.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't know why I care, but it makes me feel good to see you and Purp saying good things about Johnny.

I really can't explain why it makes me feel good, but it does and I will just roll w/it.

J
Legend
Legend
J
I'm impressed with Johnny. Plus, he's fun to watch. He brings some excitement to the game. I'm not calling him "the one" yet, but the guy has potential.....and he has me enjoying watching the games again.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Welcome back, sweetheart. smile

J
Legend
Legend
J
wink

V
Legend
Legend
V
Like GM said, Johnny has a long way to go and we all know he can bust out in an instant, but wouldn't it be really crazy if Johnny is the one who unites all of us who have battled for years?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I don't know why I care, but it makes me feel good to see you and Purp saying good things about Johnny.

I really can't explain why it makes me feel good, but it does and I will just roll w/it.

LOL I never praised or bashed Johnny last year or this year for that matter, for anything he did on the field. I reported what was the thought process going on from the Browns front office and coaching staff. I caught hell for that from both sides lol. As you well knoe bro catching hell for telling the truth runs off my back like water on a duck cool

J
Legend
Legend
J
Like GM said, Johnny has a long way to go and we all know he can bust out in an instant, but wouldn't it be really crazy if Johnny is the one who unites all of us who have battled for years?

It would. Especially because most of us were really against the pick. It would be so Browns like if this character becomes the one we have waited so long for. It would be fun and funny.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, and it's going to take something whacky and incredible like that for us to turn it around.

At least there is a little hope..............

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: clevesteve
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:

I agree with Vers on this. I think Manziel is a huge boom or bust. He has excellent QB tools, is smart, extremely competitive and is a natural leader. Really the only thing that can stop him from becoming a very good QB (besides injury) is himself, which is what makes him boom or bust to me.

One thing's certain: all the 'measurables' that were used to predict his failure are being handled, one by one. Given his learning trajectory, it would seem that he has the ability to assemble his own version of "the total QB package." He'll never be a prototypical QB like a Roethlisberger, but he has the potential to be something very special and unique... almost a one-of-a-kind.

That lump residing in his skull is perhaps the only real "x factor."

Because one by one, all the other question marks are fading.

What an intriguing case this kid is....

"too many notes, not enough music-"
R
Legend
Legend
R
Yeah, and it's going to take something whacky and incredible like that for us to turn it around.

I 100% strongly believe this.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

I gave us no chance because we're BAD - Terrible Bad - and they'd won a few more than us. However, they are still a very bad team, too.

It was the NFL equivalent of a Bum fight or a Cripple fight. Yes, we ran it well, but that's like congratulating the Bengals for running all over US... everyone runs all over us. Well, the 9ers have an even worse run defense than us as it turns out.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Earlier someone said something about the crowd reaction at the stadium.

I was there.

There is something about this kid that creates a buzz of excitement that I have not seen out of any one player since we came back in 99

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
E
Legend
Legend
E

Stetson I know you are not a big fan of JM...and thats ok. Just for the record before my opinion gets shoved under the rug cause I'm a homer.

Good to great I was saying before the draft.
He would have to spend at least a year being tutored or it might not work. I was also stating before the draft.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

E
Legend
Legend
E

Winning "IS" the cure all wink

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

B
Legend
Legend
B

What is it you see in his play that makes you think Manziel can't be a good player, or is it you just don't like him because you wanted somebody else?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

What is it you see in his play that makes you think Manziel can't be a good player, or is it you just don't like him because you wanted somebody else?

You didn't ask me that question, but if you will allow, I would like to answer.

I see a kid that if he keeps his eyes on the prize can be an excellent NFL QB. I just don't think he can keep his eyes on the prize.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: JulesDawg

It would. Especially because most of us were really against the pick. It would be so Browns like if this character becomes the one we have waited so long for. It would be fun and funny.

He had me in 2012, the first time I laid eyes on him, when I watched him beat 'Bama. He's a winner.

gmstrong

-----------------

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Originally Posted By: JulesDawg

He had me in 2012, the first time I laid eyes on him, when I watched him beat 'Bama. He's a winner.

So was Vince Young.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Reach much, dude?

gmstrong

-----------------

C
Legend
Legend
C
Reach much, dude?

Are you saying Vince Young was not a "winner?"

L
Legend
Legend
L
They both won in college, but Johnny is smart, has physical talent and a knack for pulling wins out of his arse.

gmstrong

-----------------

C
Legend
Legend
C
They both won in college, but Johnny is smart, has physical talent and a knack for pulling wins out of his arse.

Are you talking about Vince Young or Manziel?

Young was 31-19 as a starter in the NFL.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2015 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 24 49ers 10 Here's Johnnnnyy!

Link Copied to Clipboard