Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
V
Legend
Legend
V
What was the word that Banner used to describe Haslam?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Understood.

On a side note, I think Scheiner not even being discussed by Haslam in football ops is interesting.

He's on the business side, not football.

Besides, he's too busy chasing everything in a skirt in Berea.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
1st String
1st String
C
I'm sorry,but just the name "Brown" is enough to make me go...."Oh no.Is there any other candidates on line one Marion?"

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
I'm a fan of analytics. its not like we pick worse in the draft. I heard he did a big thing about who to draft and, doin his analytics, he came up with teddy b. Of coarse we went against his study.

I`m good with Baker... Playoffs is good enough for me.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
analytics also got us mingo lol

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
SB has been making a lot of decisions and giving insights to JH all year, especially after the text-gate power vacuum existed which was not filled by Pet.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Favorite way to unwind: A glass of wine and some music with my wife.

hmmm sounds like he should get along fine with Johnny as they both like to unwind by drinking and listening to music. wink

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

Who is Sashi Brown, the Cleveland Browns' new executive VP of football operations?

updated January 03, 2016 at 11:10 PM
link

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Browns' new executive VP of football operations has been a man on the rise in the sports business world. Brown was named to the Sports Business Journal's "Forty Under 40" list in 2015.

Brown, named the team's executive VP of football operations on Sunday, was hired as the executive vice president/general counsel by the Browns in January 2013. This season marked Brown's 11th in the NFL. Brown will have "ultimate say over the roster," according to Haslam.

Brown has overseen the team's salary cap, negotiations of player contracts and worked closely with fired general manager Ray Farmer.

"Sashi, I believe, is the right person to do this for the Cleveland Browns," owner Jimmy Haslam said on Sunday. "He's been in the NFL for 10-plus years, has been involved in the cap and has been heavily involved in our football administration and operations for the last year or two. He's very smart, very organized, good at systems and processes and an outstanding team player. He's also very strategic so we will use those skills and working for him will be a GM whose primary job will be talent acquisition."

Brown's role with the team on the business end prior to his promotion includes contract negotiation, government affairs, employment matters, insurance and risk management, licensing and intellectual property issues and litigation management.

"A challenge for NFL teams has been finding people that can bridge the gaps between business and football operations," Brown told ClevelandBrowns.com in April. "Finding synergies and ways to work with people on both sides are unique and can provide tremendous value."

Brown was born in Boston and received his B.A. in communications from Hampton University. He attended Harvard Law School.

Brown's most recent football job prior to the Browns was with the Jacksonville Jaguars, where he served as senior vice president and general counsel. He played a role in negotiating the naming rights deal for EverBank Field.

Prior to that, Brown worked in the Washington D.C.-based law firm Wilmer, Cutler, Pickering, Hale and Dorr as part of the business transactions group.

The good news...looks like Haslam had enough of being the guy directly over the GM.

The bad news, I'm still searching for Sashi's link to football.

Sashi is a lawyer..with NO background in football..YEA, JIMMY, MAKE HIM THE GUY IN CHARGE OF THE FOOTBALL SIDE OF THE BROWNS...UNREAL

Last edited by mac; 01/04/16 07:29 AM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
I don't know if Sashi Brown is good at picking football players. It does seem like he is a very smart person.

Let's hope that he's smart enough to know what he doesn't know...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
I don't know if Sashi Brown is good at picking football players. It does seem like he is a very smart person.

Let's hope that he's smart enough to know what he doesn't know...

Haslam continues to run the Browns as a "business"..putting business people in charge of the business side and the football side.

The good news..Haslam fired himself as the man directly over the GM..

The bad news..Sashi Brown worked closely with Ray Farmer and Sashi's qualifications to fill the position are zero..Sashi has no qualification to fill the position that Haslam put him in.

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
I guess I will try to look at what little bright side that I am able to find.
Hopefully "final say on the 53 man roster" is short for the coach/GM names the player and he checks the numbers and signs off on the deal.
Maybe we have a coach in mind that will have all the power short of final signature authority merely for the purpose of ensuring that everything works financially.
This arrangement severely limits our GM candidates, maybe we are trying the New England/Bellichek formula.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
...this set-up with somebody with a background in systems, processes, analytics and very strategic married up with a football person, if you will, who is very good at talent evaluation

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/arti...3d-921a211f3068 [/quote]

Are we over-reacting? I don't know although my initial reaction was pretty negative. Perhaps this setup can work but I, like others, forsee difficulties getting a competent person to fill the GM's role.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: vadawgfan07
This arrangement severely limits our GM candidates...

Save us time and simply promote our current Director Of Scouting...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Suddenly that crowd-sourcing purchase of the team doesn't sound like such a bad idea.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
M
All Pro
All Pro
M
Is there any reason to believe this won't result in another reboot 2 years from now?

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Merth
Is there any reason to believe this won't result in another reboot 2 years from now?

Hey Merth..how goes it?

To answer your question, another reboot is possible next year with Haslam running this team.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: mac

Hey Merth..how goes it?

To answer your question, another reboot is possible next year with Haslam running this team.

I'm usually not a betting man...but would you like to make a friendly wager on that Mac?

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I could post this in ANY of the new threads, pretty much: Please tell me you're all listening to Mike & Mike in the Morning.

We...are...a...JOKE

R
Legend
Legend
R
Are we over-reacting?

I think maybe people are. Perhaps let's see what happens with the coach and GM hires.

Some other thoughts I currently have.

--How does one watch Haslam's presser and believe he is anything but sincere in wanting to get this turned around? I've heard the term con man mentioned several times. I just don't get that impression from Haslam. Whether he knows what he's doing or not is a different debate, but I believe the guy is sincere in wanting to get this turned around.

--He obviously values smart people and probably believes smart people can do anything they put their mind to, which is why he holds people like Scheiner and Brown in high regard.

--Although he said Brown will have final say on the 53, I almost think Haslam kind of misspoke. I think he is so scarred from the infighting of Pettine and Farmer, that I believe Brown will really end up being a babysitter to make sure the new guys play nice. If we get a strong head coach and GM, my feeling is Brown will oversee their work and mostly defer to their judgment.

--Things were way worse with Pettine and Farmer than we knew.

--Haslam's characteristics he was looking for in a coach were an interesting choice of words. Kudos to the reporter that asked the follow-up question which of those Pettine did not possess. While dodging the question, "collaborative" was one thing he said. I think this was a shot at Pettine. The other shot at Pettine I thought was "an intense desire to win and improve every day".

--Maybe this collaborative, decision by consensus thing can work if we get the right people. Who knows.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Are we over-reacting?

I think maybe people are. Perhaps let's see what happens with the coach and GM hires.

--How does one watch Haslam's presser and believe he is anything but sincere in wanting to get this turned around? I've heard the term con man mentioned several times. I just don't get that impression from Haslam. Whether he knows what he's doing or not is a different debate, but I believe the guy is sincere in wanting to get this turned around.

--He obviously values smart people and probably believes smart people can do anything they put their mind to, which is why he holds people like Scheiner and Brown in high regard.

--Although he said Brown will have final say on the 53, I almost think Haslam kind of misspoke. I think he is so scarred from the infighting of Pettine and Farmer, that I believe Brown will really end up being a babysitter to make sure the new guys play nice. If we get a strong head coach and GM, my feeling is Brown will oversee their work and mostly defer to their judgment.

--Haslam's characteristics he was looking for in a coach were an interesting choice of words. Kudos to the reporter that asked the follow-up question which of those Pettine did not possess. While dodging the question, "collaborative" was one thing he said. I think this was a shot at Pettine. The other shot at Pettine I thought was "an intense desire to win and improve every day".

--Maybe this collaborative, decision by consensus thing can work if we get the right people. Who knows.

Good post...sums up my feelings minus I'm just wore out from this team and if its screwed up again well....

Legend
Legend

None.

Until this organization demonstrates that it can pull its collective head out of its butt, one should EXPECT a reboot every 18 months to 2 years, tops. Just go ahead and ink it in on your calendars.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I'm "ok", broadly speaking, with Sashi Brown being a VP of Football Operations. In this role, primarily trying to see things from the "30,000 ft view" and creating a vision of how we use a system or process in building a better talent base, you don't necessarily need to have football knowledge in the sense of talent evaluation, IMO. At least that how I'd view the position.

However your GM does need the talent evaluation skills/experience.

And I don't like that Haslem mentioned Brown having the final say on everything regarding talent. I hope he misspoke because that power should solely rely on the GM.

My underlying concern is we've seen so many times people saying consensus this, collaborative that, and in the end, those people saying these buzzwords are the power hungry, unknowledgeable football people that think they have the answer for turning us around.

Let's be honest....signing free agents, drafting college players is THE SEXY thing to do in the NFL and everyone wants to be THE GUY doing so.

Also, I don't like the idea of hiring the HC before the GM. I think that is backwards and potentially disruptive. Again, something we've seen before.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Hiring the GM before the coach is only needed in the old traditional model where the GM picks his coach and the coach reports to him.

In the model we are employing, it will be effectively what I suggested in another post where the GM is really just an ingredient shopper for the coach. They do not report to each other at all. The GM's job is to oversee player acquisitions - he's the boss of player scouting and college scouting. The coach will tell him the type of player(s) he needs, the GM will go get them.... Brown will keep them in their lanes and worrying about only their own jobs.

As long as Brown doesn't start to think he's a scout or personnel guy, it has every bit a chance to work as any previous method we've tried the old way.

Browns is the Browns

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Hiring the GM before the coach is only needed in the old traditional model where the GM picks his coach and the coach reports to him.

In the model we are employing, it will be effectively what I suggested in another post where the GM is really just an ingredient shopper for the coach. They do not report to each other at all. The GM's job is to oversee player acquisitions - he's the boss of player scouting and college scouting. The coach will tell him the type of player(s) he needs, the GM will go get them.... Brown will keep them in their lanes and worrying about only their own jobs.

As long as Brown doesn't start to think he's a scout or personnel guy, it has every bit a chance to work as any previous method we've tried the old way.

I agree, what we have been doing hasnt worked, so why not try something else.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I'm so numb Memphis I don't really know what to think anymore.

M
Legend
Legend
M

I pray you're right but I have my reservations.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M

I think we win 10 games next year.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
-Maybe this collaborative, decision by consensus thing can work if we get the right people. Who knows.

I bet the new coaching staff will just love having a lawyer and GM sitting in w/them to collaborate on football decisions. rolleyes

Team planning is huge in education. Great concept, but it rarely works. The plan that is implemented is almost always the plan that the highest administrator in the room desires and all of us minions have to pretend that we agree w/this genius plan. Time is wasted and resentments grow.

Personally, I would prefer that the guys would be put in place and each of them would have clearly defined roles. It's always good to get insight from one another, but rely on the expertise of the guy in each position.

Legend
Legend
You should. And you should with EVERYTHING regarding this team & organization.

They've shown us absolutely NOTHING for more than 15 years. That is 1.5 decades. A child born during our first draft now has a Driver's license and is only a couple of years away from being old enough to (their football sorrows away).

I think that everyone, everywhere should be questioning their loyalty and closing up their wallets/purses until this business proves that it is worthy once again.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
A schedule that looks really soft right now sure will help make everything seem better, that's for sure.

Browns is the Browns

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: FBHO71
Are we over-reacting?

Good post...sums up my feelings minus I'm just wore out from this team and if its screwed up again well....

I'll +1, thumbs up this too.

People forget, there are still meetings and boardroom type stuff. I think it likely that Sashi is going to be the guy that is tasked with ensuring the HC and GM are working in concert, and that the decisions each makes is productive, though it appears that the priority is going to favor what the HC wants in terms of HC vs. GM.

In terms of "final say" over the roster... I can't imagine this means he'll be the one actively deciding who the #3 CB is. My hope is that it means that we don't get wasteful situations like the GM signing a player like Bowe that the HC clearly didn't want to begin with.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

I think we win 10 games next year.

And here I thought that I was an optimist. Unless of course, you forgot to use purple...

Legend
Legend

IMO, I think that's the plan. The fact that we are going for the coach first also makes me think we will be trying to hire someone in the vein of: Cowher, Billick, Gruden, etc. A guy like that would want more control over the roster, but also shouldn't be wearing three hats at once. The GM would essentially be his ingredient shopper, and Sashi would be the flight control operator.

Wouldn't that be something people would be more excited about? You get a guy like Gruden as a coach and a guy to do the GM duties for him so he can focus on coaching?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:
-Maybe this collaborative, decision by consensus thing can work if we get the right people. Who knows.

I bet the new coaching staff will just love having a lawyer and GM sitting in w/them to collaborate on football decisions. rolleyes

Team planning is huge in education. Great concept, but it rarely works. The plan that is implemented is almost always the plan that the highest administrator in the room desires and all of us minions have to pretend that we agree w/this genius plan. Time is wasted and resentments grow.

Personally, I would prefer that the guys would be put in place and each of them would have clearly defined roles. It's always good to get insight from one another, but rely on the expertise of the guy in each position.

That has sort have been my experience as well, however there have been times when the leader has been willing to listen too and implement others ideas before there own.

This is what we have to hope will happen here. I think having a "czar" ( if you will), watch over both GM and HC with both having equal power positions is a sound model.

Obviously this choice of said Czar is ... em... suspect lets say, but if ... IF .... he can allow a those under him to run through their paces and only resort to the whip when a difference arises then I can see where it could work. Again I agree ... that the roles will need to be clearly defined.

Also I like the idea that another layer has been added to insulate the system from Haslam.

Now will this set up limit what GM's we can get... probably... but it might also be used as an enticement to a younger GM prospect who sees the potential to grow into the Czar position himself.

I an going to withhold judgment until I see what coach and what GM are landed ... for now.

As far as the media having a field day on the browns.... that was a given once Pet and Farmer were given their papers, so I will not put much credence into what they say.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
R
Legend
Legend
R
Vers, I know you're a pro coach guy. I think what Haslam is trying to put in place gives the coach a lot of power.

Legend
Legend
Browns may have made it harder to hire a G.M.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/04/browns-may-have-made-it-harder-to-hire-a-g-m/

Posted by Mike Florio on January 4, 2016, 12:34 AM EST

Apart from the reality that giving lawyer-turned-football-executive Sashi Brown final say over the roster will make the Cleveland G.M. job less attractive to G.M. candidates who are at the top of the G.M. industry, the decision to elevate Brown to the top non-coaching football position within the Browns will make it harder to hire someone currently under contract with another team.

Because Sashi Brown has control over the 53-man roster, the Cleveland G.M. position doesn’t qualify for the portion of the tampering policy that allows a team to hire as G.M. someone currently working for another team, without permission from that team.

Which means that if the Browns target an up-and-coming scout or director of college scouting or director of pro personnel or any other person under contract with another team, the other team can refuse to let the person be interviewed and hired.

It means that the Browns will either have to hire someone that another team doesn’t want to keep, or they’ll have to hire someone who currently isn’t employed.

Whether the Browns thought that specific wrinkle through remains to be seen. If they didn’t, it definitely could put a crimp in their plans for interviewing G.M. candidates.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I was so so PO'D at Haslam for once again blowing this up. It is evident that Pettine and Farmer did not mesh together a must for success. I get the Farmer firing I thought he should have let Pettine come in the process to find his GM.

I know the media is raking the order of hire over the coals. But as usual they are BOZO's it does not matter which gets hired when it matters that they work close in hand and are on THE SAME PAGE. I'd rather have a Strong coach. I think Personnel guru is not that hard to find.

Problems we have had is that: CLARK n Co. were just inept.

Davis hired a weak Personnel guy that would answer to him as he had all the power in the choice.

RAC and Savage were hired close together and they were not of the same cloth. Savage slowly wanted all the power and make his hire.

Mangini got his perfect GM problem was he had personal problems we did not know about was the only GM who got fired 6 months into his tenure. Most promising to most dismal.

Holmgren got a personnel guy in Heckert and then after firing MANGINI they hired a softy that would answer to Holmgren and do what he says.

Banner took control and hired a intelligent but soft guy who would answer to Banner and hired Chud who had maybe the best coordinators we ever had but Banner wanted complete control...that wasn't going to work.

Pettine was hired by Banner before Farmer was promoted. They knew they had to work together to make this happen I think Farmer soon forgot that when he tried to assume power...why do they think if they get the HC fired they will get the chance to hire their guy... smh

I was sick to my stomach - AGAIN!!! Now I want to know everything about this Sasha Brown...cause he is the key in all this. I like what I see. This is the winner (or loser) to me.

“He’s been in the NFL for 10 plus years, has been involved in the cap, has been heavily involved in our football administration and operations for the last year or two. He’s very smart, very organized, good at systems and processes and an outstanding team player. He’s also very strategic, so we will use those skills and working for him will be a GM whose primary job will be talent acquisition.”

Either this guy is a statistical genius to be involved with an excellent talent evaluator between the two they can weed out the bad choices. The coach is going to get his schemes and needs involved but will have full control of the football operations.

I didn't think I would become positive so fast. Maybe deep down I thought in their own ways Pettine and Farmer were incompetent??? Continuity was my driven reason to back Pettine not in his accomplishments. Although I wish he coached with the emotion and FUN from day one. You know its a game prepare them and then have a great time playing the game while executing the plans!

I am so far a believer of this Sasha Brown I like what I see, I will continue to figure him out - hear his pressers see what he does not what he says! Is this all the good of a Banner? Combined with the excellent people skills and the knowledge of Billy Ball. It all depends on the HIRES.

This is all under Haslam this time - no its Holmgrens fault, Banner fault and Banner II Fault as he hired Pettine and promoted Farmer prior to getting fired.

This is beginning to end top to bottom on Haslam...maybe because of that he will give his plan more than 2 years! If he cans this early then he should devoid himself from all decisions. Just sit in the owners box and count the money!

jmho

Last edited by eotab; 01/04/16 11:07 AM.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
What a mess willynilly

In-fighting galore since Haslam took over. Wonder why, lol

Maybe if you follow the Browns like "Game of Thrones" it makes the experience more enjoyable.

Pettine was Eddard "Ned" Stark. Good, loyal guy, but a little on the stubborn, stupid side of things

Haslam definitely is a Lannister, probably Tywin. Power hungry and a majestic hypocrite. Maybe Sashi Brown is the Tyrion that kills him? Watch the next series of Browns football...

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jcing...

Putting a lawyer in charge of the 53 man roster, giving him final say...IT'S JUST ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF HASLAM'S STUPIDITY!

Haslam "says" he is putting Sashi Brown in charge of the football side...but that is just a front..a move made to make it look like Haslam is not so involved in football side.

Coaches and GM report to lawyer Sashi..he reports to Haslam...NOTHING IS GOING TO CHANGE because Sashi is no more than a YES MAN! Sashi Brown is just going to relay down to the GM and HC, whatever Haslam wants.

A hypothetical...If Haslam wants to boot Brian Hoyer because he is a threat to the owners hand picked QB, Sashi Browns will see that it is done and Haslam insulates himself from criticism...just blame Sashi Brown because Haslam will lie like hell, claiming he is not involved.

Haslam simply wants to maintain his control over the football side of the franchise while trying to make it appear that he is not meddling in the GM and HC area of authority.

Any GM or HC working under the system that Haslam has set up with Sashi Brown, a lawyer, having control over the 53..it is no different than Haslam having total control over ther 53.

Haslam's shell game is going push the most talented prospects away and the Browns will be left with "the leftovers".

If Haslam does not understand this...he is a freaking idiot.

Last edited by mac; 01/04/16 11:08 AM.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I hope people actually read that article.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Sashi Brown is Promoted VP Ops

Link Copied to Clipboard