Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I don't deny that there are some differences between auto insurance and health care. But in the end they are both "mandated insurance". It does seem people pick and choose when mandated insurance is okay and when it's not.

Part of the difference is that if you get in an accident and it's your fault, your insurance is more for the person you got in a wreck with than for you.
Typically, why you need health insurance is more often than not through no one's actions. You just get sick from time to time.

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Respectfully, it's a little more than "some" differences:

Auto Insurance: The State says your vehicle has to be insured so that should you be at fault in a collision, you have the financial backing to take care of the other guy. If you choose to not have a vehicle, the gov't doesn't punish you.

Home Owner's Insurance: Wanna buy that house? Mortgage company says a condition of them spotting you the money, you need insurance to protect what is basically THEIR investment until the loan is paid off. If you choose not to buy the house, the gov't doesn't punish you.

Now those aren't the best options... but you still have freedom to make those choices, and that is the point. Freedom doesn't mean every option you have is a good one.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

That's the way I see it GM. And as you can see, there's at least one poster who feels if you don't walk the party lines, your one of the enemy. I find that type of thinking very sad.

And what is so funny about that type of thinking is it actually turns people away from their party rather than helps gain them any support.

So silly you are.

Do you think that one poster follows Party lines and does not think for himself? Does not that one poster complain about the RINO's in the Party he finds most closely supports his own way of thinking? Does he not complain the Party is drifting away from where it used to stand?

Yes he does and he is fighting within his favorite Party to change it from Democrat Light to Republican again.

Perhaps it is easy for you to waver on your feelings about Abortion and the wholesale slaughter by mothers of their children.

Perhaps it is easy for you to waver on what is a sin to a Christian and what is not.

That poster you speak of seems to KNOW where he stands on these issues and he sees wavering as collusion to evil.

I know that I favor the Republican Party because it more closely fits My way of thinking.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING

Perhaps it is easy for you to waver on your feelings about Abortion and the wholesale slaughter by mothers of their children.

My beliefs have never changed. I'm against abortion. However, making my religious and moral beliefs to be imposed on the masses is not my goal.

Quote:
Perhaps it is easy for you to waver on what is a sin to a Christian and what is not.

I've never wavered about that. Yet once again, my moral and religious beliefs are between myself and God. Each one of us will have to answer to God in the end. Trying to inflict my moral and religious beliefs on the entire nation is not my goal.

Quote:
That poster you speak of seems to KNOW where he stands on these issues and he sees wavering as collusion to evil.

I know that I favor the Republican Party because it more closely fits My way of thinking.

I also know where I stand on those issues. The funny thing is, on many issues we agree as to our beliefs. The main difference we often have is you believe that inflicting your beliefs on an entire nation is your right. I don't share that belief.

I'm fully aware that we are all sinners. Yes, even you. I don't feel I have the right to inflict my life choices and my version of morality into law that effects and impacts people who do not believe like myself.

It's God's job to judge, not mine.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

-Edmund Burke

Just keeping it to yourself is selfish and serves only yourself.

I sure am glad my Lord didn't just keep it to Himself.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

-Edmund Burke

Just keeping it to yourself is selfish and serves only yourself.

I sure am glad my Lord didn't just keep it to Himself.

And this is why people are so willing to believe in the bastardized concept of the separation of church and state and think that electing a person open about there faith automatically means they are trying to impose a religious Order.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

P
Legend
Legend
P
It's really not. I'm just saying that invoking laws that agree with my religious beliefs isn't my top priority. It's not nearly as impactful as to whom I vote for than some other things.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
It's really not. I'm just saying that invoking laws that agree with my religious beliefs isn't my top priority. It's not nearly as impactful as to whom I vote for than some other things.

I was referring to 40's comment. sorry!

-Jack Burton

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847
It's really not.

I was referring to 40's comment. sorry!

Its ok Devil, you can call him Pit.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
rofl

Legend
Legend

My relationship with God is my #1 priority in my life, and I believe that God would never want me to casually stand by and accept things like abortion, for example. Never. I believe that we either take a stand on such issues, or simply go along with the world, offering our passive approval for these things which I believe to be sins. (based on the teachings of the Bible and Jesus Christ)

It's like Christians saying that they "don't want to push their views on anyone else". Well, the Bible tells Christians to take the good news of Christ into the world, and the word used by Christ in the Bible actually means "to herald", so we are to proclaim the good news of Jesus Christ, not to quietly hide our faith. That's not forcing our beliefs on anyone, as the choice to believe, or not, is between them and God. Warning people of God's law, and the consequences of violating it, is not judging them. These are just propositions the world has created to try and keep Christians quiet.

God gave Christians grace, and forgiveness, through Jesus Christ. Jesus Himself said that he came to this earth, not to abolish the law, (10 Commandments) but to fulfill them. He then increased the difficulty inherent in obeying the Law, taking a Commandment against adultery, and saying that anyone who lusts after another commits adultery. Given that level of difficulty, no one can be saved by the Law, but only condemned by it. We are saved through Faith in, and inherent obedience to, Jesus Christ. No Christian will ever live a sin free life, but we should allow God into our lives, turning our lives over to Him, and allowing Him to lead us. We will never be perfect while in this life, but we cannot be Christians while also being in open revolt against God.

In this country, we are more and more accepting of more and more sin as normal, and even positive. Even Christians are doing so. Of course, many who call themselves Christians never attend church, and absolutely never crack their Bibles to read what the God they profess to follow says. They create their own god, in their own mind, never realizing that they are committing idolatry, which is the sin God hates above all else. It is Commandment #1, "Thou shalt have no other gods before Me". Heck, I did it for much of my entire adult life. I created my own god, who thought as I wanted him to. My god would accept everything I wanted him to, and I could even use a few, cherry picked verses to try to justify my sin of idolatry. I was some kind of lukewarm pseudo-Christian. I was on course to be condemned, because I had never really committed my life to Jesus Christ. I listened to, and obeyed, the world, instead of listening to the Lord.

Thank God He put so many roadblocks in my path, that He forced me to slow down, and see what I was doing. Thank God He sent me on a different path than the one I had chosen, and sent me to the right church, where I was encouraged to read my Bible daily. Thank God He saved me. He did so by opening my heart, and in part by putting the right people in my path. He did not do so by putting people in my life who said that everything anyone wanted to do was perfectly fine. I didn't do it. God did, and He did so by working on my heart, and by working through people I met.

I also have to wonder, if we are Christians, then what could possibly hold a higher priority in our lives than our faith? What could possibly be more important than obeying what our God has told us to do? If we are Christians, should we retreat, meekly, as the world increases in sin and corruption, or should we speak out, trying to bring others to Christ? I know what the Bible tells me. Doesn't yours tell you the same thing?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
My Bible tells me how to live my life. It also tells me not to be of this world. It also tells me that the sick need healing, that it's easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of Heaven.

My Bible tells me a lot of things. Things that neither political party walks lock step in line with. I find believing otherwise is naïve.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
That was beautiful, YTown. thumbsup

J
Legend
Legend
J
My Bible tells me how to live my life. It also tells me not to be of this world. It also tells me that the sick need healing, that it's easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of Heaven.

My Bible tells me a lot of things. Things that neither political party walks lock step in line with. I find believing otherwise is naïve.

The other part of this, is that many, many people interpret the same religion differently, or have a completely different religion.

To expect people who don't share in the same belief to adhere to your religious "laws" is absurd. It's all great and good if it's your religion, or interpretation of it, that is the one ruling the day, but things become much different when it is not. The short-sighted should never be in charge.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: JulesDawg

The other part of this, is that many, many people interpret the same religion differently, or have a completely different religion.

Thank you.

I've harped on this in the past. People on this board can deny this ugly fact, but different denominations believe in different paths of getting to heaven.

M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Originally Posted By: candyman92

Thank you.

I've harped on this in the past. People on this board can deny this ugly fact, but different denominations believe in different paths of getting to heaven.

Not really, your various(x∞) denominations may have different practices or rituals but the core teachings are all the same.
Faith in Jesus Christ as the sacrifice for your sins is what gets you from here to there.

Another thing you all forget on a regular basis-we actually believe in heaven and hell, therefore we're doing what we can to convince you because we'd rather you were in heaven than hell.

Noted Atheist Penn Jillette shares his opinion on proselytizing...

Even this guy appreciates what we're trying to do.

my two cents...
J
Legend
Legend
J
Ted, I don't recall anyone saying you shouldn't be able to do what you think is right or share your opinions. You can shout from every mountain top your beliefs, but others can also.

What we are talking about is letting those views shape the laws.

Believe me, there are good number of people who think your views are wrong and sending you straight to hell.....and I'm pretty sure, you don't want them making laws for you.

Legend
Legend
Faith and just believing Jesus exists isn't enough to get you Heaven. That's the point I'm trying to get at. There are people who strongly disagree with you.

M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Faith and just believing Jesus exists isn't enough to get you Heaven. That's the point I'm trying to get at. There are people who strongly disagree with you.

Believe me, if I weren't casually popping in here to comment while working on a paint estimate I could go all Y-town and explain it like he does…

But since he does such a great job I'll let his comments cover that.

my two cents...
M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Ted, I don't recall anyone saying you shouldn't be able to do what you think is right or share your opinions. You can shout from every mountain top your beliefs, but others can also.

What we are talking about is letting those views shape the laws.

Believe me, there are good number of people who think your views are wrong and sending you straight to hell.....and I'm pretty sure, you don't want them making laws for you.

Well, I can't think of a law that a moral person would make I wouldn't agree with whether they agree with my theological leanings or not but people are making laws now I don't agree with and people of faith are being discriminated against and getting fined 6 figures for following what they think is right.

Muslim truck drivers sue because they were fired for not delivering beer because it was against their religious beliefs and get awarded $240k.

Christian baker gets fined for not making a cake for a gay couple.

I don't think the Muslim drivers should've been fired, but I also don't believe the Christian baker should've been fined.

my two cents...
Legend
Legend

You're right, it isn't. Even Satan "believes in" the existence of Jesus Christ. Just believing that Jesus lived is not enough.

Faith in Jesus, and accepting Him as Lord and Savior is what it takes. Man cannot do anything, himself, to make it to heaven. It takes that total faith in Jesus Christ, repentance of sin, that willingness to turn one's life over to Him completely. It takes acceptance that we are each helpless to avoid condemnation and hell without Him.

Back to Trump, since he is the topic of this thread, one thing that really concerned me was when he described himself as a Christian, but when they asked him why he thinks that he is going to heaven, he spoke not of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, and Him being Lord and Savior ..... and not of repentance of his sins, but rather Trump rattled off a long list of "things" he has done .... good works and such .... and that is not what gets a man to heaven. Unfortunately, this seems to be the idea that a lot of people who call themselves Christian have. Works do not get a man to heaven. The whole overarching lesson of the Old Testament is that man is completely and totally incapable of "earning" his salvation through his own works.

He said things like Why do I have to have to repent if i don't make mistakes, I try not to make mistakes where I have to ask for forgiveness, and I work hard and am an honorable person.

He also said something along the lines of I think that repentance is terrific, but why should I have to repent if I don't do things that are wrong, or something similar. It was, if nothing else, a very poorly worded explanation of Christian beliefs, and, unfortunately, one that many people today hold.

Good works can be a sign of a life given to Jesus Christ, but they are not the reason for salvation. Belief in Christ (which, has to include acceptance of Christ as Lord and Savior, and repentance of sin) is the only path to salvation, at least if one believes the Bible.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
So if the Obama stock market continues it's downward spiral, I might still be working when I'm 85...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
So if the Obama stock market continues it's downward spiral, I might still be working when I'm 85...

you were already there when the bush stock market plummeted in 2008.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

If the stock market is making you worry about retirement then your funds aren't balanced. Don't get me wrong, I've got most of my long term investments in large-cap/growth stocks. It's stung a bit to see the losses over the last 6 months. Yet I made over $2 per share in dividends last month, so I'm glad I didn't go to cash/money market last summer. I have 30-35 years before I touch these funds so I'm all about maximizing my returns. That means sucking it up for some bad years, but the dividend yield softens the blow considerably. Even with these losses we'd have a long way to fall before we'd be at 09 levels.

IMO you should limit your stock market exposure to funds you won't touch for 10+ years. Ladder the funds you need for the upcoming decade into municipal bonds or CDs. I like Muni bonds/zero coupon bonds because the default risk is low, and you don't pay taxes on them. Sure the interest rate might only be 2-5% (unless you go with a long note) but that's tax free interest. That makes it worth 4-7% to me. This runs a bit counter to the rule of thumb (the percent of bond holdings should match your age) but that's because I think the rule of thumb is too conservative.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish

you were already there when the bush stock market plummeted in 2008.

Yep, but not when the Bush stock market was really high before that... or when the Obama stock market was doing well.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
I feel you. I got my money in the TSP, g fund, so I never lose money, but it grows slow.

I'm not allowed to fund it any more because I'm out, but I just kept my money in there, and opened up a plan on eTrade two years ago.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
E
Legend
Legend
E
Is it Obama's fault oil prices are so low? Just asking because i don't know why oil prices are so low. It is driving down the stock market.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
I don't care who's fault it is.

I ain't complaining about 1.55 a gallon prices.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
Is it Obama's fault oil prices are so low? Just asking because i don't know why oil prices are so low. It is driving down the stock market.

Oil prices are low because we are using less, we are producing more in the US, and from what I've heard... certain middle eastern nations have been flooding the market trying to drive prices down and drive competition out of business...

Is it Obama's fault? Most people would consider it a good thing that oil prices are low.. at least those touting Obama's accomplishments always tell me that on FB...

yebat' Putin
E
Legend
Legend
E
I don't care who's fault it is.

I ain't complaining about 1.55 a gallon prices.

Delta Airlines agrees with you!l

No Craps Given
E
Legend
Legend
E

Oil prices are low because we are using less, we are producing more in the US, and from what I've heard... certain middle eastern nations have been flooding the market trying to drive prices down and drive competition out of business...

Is it Obama's fault? Most people would consider it a good thing that oil prices are low.. at least those touting Obama's accomplishments always tell me that on FB...

OK thanks. I wasn't sure. :-) I guess people retiring right about now wouldn't like it.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
I wonder how much lower the gas prices would be if the keystone pipeline joint got approved.

I dunno much about that project. I do know people were complaining that they would have to give up land for it, but it was my understanding the government would've paid them nicely for it?

Somebody school me on the basics of that please.

- Theodore Roosevelt
M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Like I said, Y-Town does a fine job of explaining our theology quite well!

my two cents...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I feel you. I got my money in the TSP, g fund, so I never lose money, but it grows slow.

I'm not allowed to fund it any more because I'm out, but I just kept my money in there, and opened up a plan on eTrade two years ago.

Is it this fund? https://www.tsp.gov/InvestmentFunds/FundOptions/fundPerformance_G_Perf.html

Can you roll it into an IRA/401k? It's not a horrible fund but I try to match the market at least, and that fund runs quite a bit low. If you don't have an IRA open one up so you can enjoy tax deferred compounding.

Sorry in advance if I'm derailing the thread smile

Last edited by gage; 01/26/16 01:06 AM.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Yep, oil prices are low because the Saudis want to bankrupt the fracking industry before it destroys their hold on world energy supplies.Watch when some of the fracking companies go bankrupt. Prices will return to "normal", and no one will dare start up a new fracking company, because the Saudis could easily do the dame thing once again.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Saudi Arabia cares more about the U.S. environment than its own citizens and government!

They clearly do not.

Legend
Legend
You're allowed to roll it in, but I just decided to just leave it there. Nothing wrong with having two going I guess.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Not a problem having two going. I have a 401k + IRA and other accounts going on. But I think you could do better picking your own fund than the return you're getting from that govt picked fund. Just my 2 cents (albeit compounding :))

#gmstrong
M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

Yep, oil prices are low because the Saudis want to bankrupt the fracking industry before it destroys their hold on world energy supplies.Watch when some of the fracking companies go bankrupt. Prices will return to "normal", and no one will dare start up a new fracking company, because the Saudis could easily do the dame thing once again.

Were I president, I would, for the sake of national security buy oil from the Saudi's to fuel the American car.
I would also buy from the tracking companies in order to stockpile for safe keeping. Y'know, just in case.

my two cents...
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

They won't be bankrupted, they'll simply shutter their investments and take them out of mothballs at a later time.

The real impact the low prices is having is on Russian oil & gas, which has been at the center of most everything for the past several years.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Donald Trump's gift to America

Link Copied to Clipboard