Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: BigWillieStyle
It is a bad move if we get him for nothing. Kap isn't a long term solution at qb, has a bad contract, and won't be here when this team is ready to compete. Literally the only way this kind of move makes any sense is if you are trying to win now....and we are not. I would argue McCown is a better player right now than Kap. McCown is also much cheaper and open to mentoring whatever qb they bring in this year or the next.

Unless they think Kap can be the guy for the next 5-10 years then it's dumb......and if they think that we are screwed anyway..lol

I agree with you that it would be dumb, just trying to say that we were probably just trying to get an asset for less than it's actually worth.

Legend
Legend
Kaepernick is 28 years old, He will be 29 in November.

We seem to be working towards purging the team of all players not on their 1st contracts. Why would we add a guy who will be 32 or 33 when this team finally is rebuilt? What sense would that make?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

We seem to be working towards purging the team of all players not on their 1st contracts. Why would we add a guy who will be 32 or 33 when this team finally is rebuilt? What sense would that make?
none...he is not that good anyway...the more I think about it, and the more I see we are grabbing a QB #2 overall. and that sucks I think it's a reach at best

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
We should develop a series of memes centered around the idea of an "Analytic Machine" that they asked questions to. Like they all huddle around a magic 8ball type of device and ask, 'How do we fix our starting QB problem' and it spits out 'Trade your 3rd round pick for a QB who has an insane salary and also got benched for Blaine Gabbert this year' or something like that. It's came to the point that the Browns are so consistently bad that the only logical conclusion is some sort of Rasputin like figure/object that is leading us to our destruction.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Quote:
Here's a sentiment not many have shared recently: Colin Kaepernick wants to play in Cleveland. Respects Hue Jackson. Browns-Niners talking.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/708283594901430272

Quote:
Anthony Lima Retweeted Adam Schefter

Kaepernick knows there are few places he could start without a battle. He's as desperate as the Browns are

https://twitter.com/SportsBoyTony/status/708284104651964416

Tackles are tackles.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc...

I asked myself, why would the Browns go after Kapernick?

Well, it makes a little more sense now than it did a couple of days ago.

After losing 40% of the Browns starting offensive line due the front offices inability to resign their own players, the Browns big brain front office might have a change in draft priorities.

Maybe the Browns will not draft a QB now that they have lost some key members to the Oline and we don't know how Joe Thomas feels about the front office saying one thing, doing another. I believe Thomas wanted to keep the Oline together and it made perfect sense to draft a QB and put him behind an experienced Oline.

...Joe Thomas "might" want out, ASAP.

So it would make more sense to buy a QB, "who can run really fast", rather than drafting a QB and allowing him to get butchered behind a questionable Oline. Browns fans have already experienced that scenario.

Also, now that the Browns have even more holes to try to fill in this draft, drafting a QB at #2 might not be the #1 priority now...IF they can sign a fast QB..Kaepernick.

The Browns big brain front office could then trade out of the #2 slot and "hopefully" pick up some more picks and use them in an attempt to plug all of their holes..including the new holes they created by not retaining their own FAs.

Since the Browns didn't spend any money to retain their own FAs, they now have a ton of money to spend..why not spend them on a real fast QB?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend

If this scenario ever did come to life, and we got Kaep, and he did well. Makes perfect sense to me. It would mean we could plug and play a new young QB and make his transition to the league easy as heck.

FYI.. I dont think that Kaep will make any team look good.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk

If this scenario ever did come to life, and we got Kaep, and he did well. Makes perfect sense to me. It would mean we could plug and play a new young QB and make his transition to the league easy as heck.

FYI.. I dont think that Kaep will make any team look good.

I don't think Kap would take us to the promise land, but he certainly has shown the ability that he can be OK.

And it allows us to fill holes around the team before AS we rebuild. If he's adequate, it may make the team more sought after if we show some promise. We take a QB next year or year after or something.

I don't know. Hopefully it would be ok.

Plus, we have the money now to suck up his contract, and could dump him in a few years to make room if need be.

....I just want to win so I'm trying to justify anything we do.

Last edited by TI84_Plus; 03/11/16 10:22 AM.

Wise words spoken by sages
From SkyTel to BlackBerry pagers
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Kap fits the needs of this franchise now that they have lost 40% their Oline and might lose more.

Kaepernick can run fast and he is pals with the HC.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: ddubia
Why was his post hilarious?

he said "We have won no more than 5 games since 2007"

not sure where he was 2 years ago...

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
L
Legend
Legend
L
Obviously it was an oversight, I don't think it's a big deal.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Obviously it was an oversight, I don't think it's a big deal.

didnt say it was a big deal. but the guy asked what was funny and i got a chuckle over it.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
D
Legend
Legend
D
I must say... the lingering speculation/possibility of getting Kaepernick is very unsettling. Why can't he just before traded to anyone but us so we don't need to worry.

D
Rookie
Rookie
D
If the Browns do trade for Kap, hopefully they are not trading away draft picks... The Browns need all the draft picks they can get and them some more.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Doo_Doo_Brown
If the Browns do trade for Kap, hopefully they are not trading away draft picks... The Browns need all the draft picks they can get and them some more.
My guess is that it would be a draft pick(s)....a conditional draft pick(s).

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

It would almost definitely be a pick. Or draft position.

The reports of the cost of a 2nd draft pick is, IMO, ridiculous for Kap. Beyond ridiculous.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
SF Gets
#2 Overall Pick (Goff/Wentz)

Cleveland Gets
QB Colin Kaepernick
#7 Overall Pick
#68 Overall Pick
2017 2nd Round Pick

Cleveland Drafts
#7: RB Ezekiel Elliot OSU
#32: OT Jack Conklin/Taylor Decker
#65: OLB Carl Nassib PSU
#68: WR Braxton Miller OSU
#96: S Kevin Byard MTSU

Editors Note: Based on Kaps value being around a late 2nd/early third round pick, as reported, thats about the best possible value we could get. I used the value chart, so its taken with a grain of salt. No I dint think we'd get that much in return. But I also don't think I'm asking for too much..

Also, our first 3-4 picks could be all OSU players and I'm totally ok with that..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Let's trade JM straight up for Kaepernick. Wouldn't that cause a stir. I doubt SF would do it anyway without more compensation.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
Let's trade JM straight up for Kaepernick. Wouldn't that cause a stir. I doubt SF would do it anyway without more compensation.

This is the only scenario that makes sense, and the only one I wouldn't balk at.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

This is the only scenario that makes sense, and the only one I wouldn't balk at.

Really? Thomas is a future Hall-of-Famer ... kapaernick is an average QB at best, SF would have to give a lot more compensation not us ... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend

I would trade Manziel for a 6 week old, 90% eaten piece of toasted crust.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
I understand not trusting our talent evaluators yet, but Elway is a guy who knows what he's doing. I'd trust his ability to evaluate talent over a lot of other guys. There's a reason HE wants Kapernick.

D
Rookie
Rookie
D
If they do trade a pick, it better be to get at least 3 more draft picks in return! Only way to try and right this ship. After drafting so many busts, the bell curve has to change in our favor one day right?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc

Really? Thomas is a future Hall-of-Famer ... kapaernick is an average QB at best, SF would have to give a lot more compensation not us ... JMHO

I think you have your J's mixed up wink

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: candyman92
I understand not trusting our talent evaluators yet, but Elway is a guy who knows what he's doing. I'd trust his ability to evaluate talent over a lot of other guys. There's a reason HE wants Kapernick.

Yes, he's very desperate at this point. His only QB on the roster is Trevor Siemian.

Legend
Legend
Exceptionally desperate. He needs to secure someone that is at least half-decent while working out a more solid solution.

Browns is the Browns

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
He could get Hoyer for that. I wouldn't call him necessarily good, but there's a lot worse out there.

Crowded elevators smell different to short people...
D
Rookie
Rookie
D
The Browns aren't as desperate?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Not as much as Denver. The Browns are in nuke mode. Denver is dealing with a legit contention window.

Legend
Legend
Also, the Browns own the second pick in the draft and Denver owns 31.

Hell, we might be able to trade McCown for Denvers third rounder if we wanted to.

D
Rookie
Rookie
D
Originally Posted By: Flap

Not as much as Denver. The Browns are in nuke mode. Denver is dealing with a legit contention window.

Haven't they been in nuke mode sense 2000 though? when does the rebuilding ever end?

Legend
Legend

Haven't they been in nuke mode sense 2000 though? when does the rebuilding ever end?

When we actually build something.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Haven't they been in nuke mode sense 2000 though?

Not intentionally. At this point though, i'd be shocked if Thomas is still on the team after draft day. They appearing to be tearing this thing down to the studs.

... and i'm not sure it's the wrong way to go about it to be honest.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Conditional picks cannot be traded.

Legend
Legend
After drafting so many busts, the bell curve has to change in our favor one day right?
Drafting busts is a skill set here, and it has nothing to do with chance.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
After drafting so many busts, the bell curve has to change in our favor one day right?
Drafting busts is a skill set here, and it has nothing to do with chance.

It's like buying lottery tickets each week... you don't get better odds each time you buy them.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: clwb419

Didn't the Titans trade us a 2016 condition pick for RB Terrance West?

– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend

Compensatory picks cannot be traded - e.g. the extra picks the NFL gives to teams that lose valuable free agents without getting a reasonable replacement.

A conditional pick is a type of trade item.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend

Last edited by clevesteve; 03/11/16 01:33 PM. Reason: prp got it
Legend
Legend

Compensatory picks cannot be traded - e.g. the extra picks the NFL gives to teams that lose valuable free agents without getting a reasonable replacement.

A conditional pick is a type of trade item.

Yes, true.

After reading his post again, Menphis could have meant trading compensatory picks..or conditional picks? IDK

– Jackie Robinson
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns should go hard after Kaepernick

Link Copied to Clipboard