Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
j/c

I can't seriously believe that we are "debating" the interpretation of "letting them walk" and "want to win".It should be self-evident...

I can't seriously believe that people are telling me what the hell my intent was when I said "let them walk."

Have I freaking EVER been timid about expressing my viewpoints? Jesus guys............I KNOW what the hell I meant when I said it.

I meant that those guys are freaking gone!!! No one knows exactly why. Some keep saying over and over and over and over and over and over that they didn't want to play here. So what? What does that prove? Hell, it's actually a worse indictment about where the Browns are heading.

All I know is one thing. They are gone.

And don't any of you presume to act like you know my intent more than I do. Worry about your own self....it's a full time job!

Why would you think that that post was directed at you? Do you really believe that you are the center of the universe? That post was a general comment...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
V
Legend
Legend
V
Since I am the one who uses "let them walk," and many others have told ME what I meant by it.........I thought it was time to set the record straight.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Since I am the one who uses "let them walk," and many others have told ME what I meant by it.........I thought it was time to set the record straight.

That term has been used by a number of posters...

V
Legend
Legend
V
You asked. I answered.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
I understand that some might not appreciate my viewpoint...

I'm not awe struck by the great Flying J owner and his record of running the Browns, a team that I have been a fan of longer than some of you have been alive...

I'm not awe struck by the Harvard lawyers and analytics guys being in control of the Browns...

I've never been the type to follow the crowd or be a rah-rah type.

I'm not about to change folks..I will continue to draw on my background and the opinions I have formulated through the years, based on experience.

The Browns have the worst owner in the NFL and currently the Browns are the worst managed franchise in the NFL, IMO.

There is hole the size of Texas in the Browns front office and it becomes more obvious every day, that this front office is in need of someone with experience running a football franchise...someone with a background in football.

I consider myself to be "realistic" rather than anything else. There just hasn't been a lot of positive going on with the Browns since Haslam bought the team...I would love to be more positive, when there is something to be positive about.

I don't see myself changing unless something changes with this franchise...then "maybe" I can be more positive about the Browns owner and his management style.

jmho...mac

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Quote:
there is just no pleasing some folks. The Browns are damned if they do and damned if they don't around here.

LOL..........can I play? Let me channel my inner Da Mans Hot....Ewwww.....scary. Okay, I'll just use your sentence...

there [no capital T???] is just no rationalizing with some folks. The Browns are always right even though they constantly losing more games than they win and blowing things up over and over again. [wow, innovative grammar.]

Probably the most childish post you've ever made..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: mac
I understand that some might not appreciate my viewpoint...

I'm not awe struck by the great Flying J owner and his record of running the Browns, a team that I have been a fan of longer than some of you have been alive...

I'm not awe struck by the Harvard lawyers and analytics guys being in control of the Browns...

I've never been the type to follow the crowd or be a rah-rah type.

I'm not about to change folks..I will continue to draw on my background and the opinions I have formulated through the years, based on experience.

The Browns have the worst owner in the NFL and currently the Browns are the worst managed franchise in the NFL, IMO.

There is hole the size of Texas in the Browns front office and it becomes more obvious every day, that this front office is in need of someone with experience running a football franchise...someone with a background in football.

I consider myself to be "realistic" rather than anything else. There just hasn't been a lot of positive going on with the Browns since Haslam bought the team...I would love to be more positive, when there is something to be positive about.

I don't see myself changing unless something changes with this franchise...then "maybe" I can be more positive about the Browns owner and his management style.

jmho...mac

We've received your viewpoint.

Thousands of times.

Over and over.

Your plan of putting the rest of us through misery until Haslam sells the team is not a good one.

We can't make that happen for you.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
I had a very good response written for the folks who started the thread attempting to divide everyone into two groups...the positive posters and the negative posters.

The thread got deleted while I was typing my response...not wanting to waste a post that I made for that thread...I posted it here.

I do understand that some prefer "fairtail-rah-rah" posts rather than "reality"...for the record, I'm not negative, I'm realistic.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I had a very good response written for the folks who started the thread attempting to divide everyone into two groups...the positive posters and the negative posters.

The thread got deleted while I was typing my response...not wanting to waste a post that I made for that thread...I posted it here.

I do understand that some prefer "fairtail-rah-rah" posts rather than "reality"...for the record, I'm not negative, I'm realistic.

You have the right to believe whatever you want.

It's your right to repeat over and over again that I wish you would use a little restraint with.

If you really were realistic, you'd understand how old this got about 2000 posts ago.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
There's an obvious answer,don't read or reply to his posts.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Must Read Article

No matter what you think about the FO, you should read that article. If nothing else, you should get a chuckle or two.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Quote:
Here's my link that says Sashi has control of the 53 man roster.

Can you send that to eotab and ddub? They both insist that Hue has control. What was the wording? Hue is the admiral and the rest are his soldiers..........something like that. rofl

Never ever used a word like "Admiral"
trolling again I see...smh

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown
Must Read Article

No matter what you think about the FO, you should read that article. If nothing else, you should get a chuckle or two.

Good Read thanks.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Quote:
CBS Sports NFL reporter Jason La Canfora, who couldn’t resist a chance to take a shot at “The Stat Boys” in a recent article

grimm...honestly, I like the name I gave the analytics boys...

Type in "Big Brain front office" into your search and see what comes up. poke

Legend
Legend

REALITY? That's kinda funny. Reality is, according to you, only what you believe. Fairytale is whatever you don't believe.

Tell me again please how that's reality. Are you the only person that is right?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

So let me get this straight. Every word our former players said before the FA period was BS and everything they've said since moving on is Gospel?

Sounds like people accept the things they want to hear and disregard everything they don't want to hear.

And then some have the nerve to question the sanity of people who disagree?

Wow!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
j/c

So let me get this straight. Every word our former players said before the FA period was BS and everything they've said since moving on is Gospel?

Sounds like people accept the things they want to hear and disregard everything they don't want to hear.

Wow!

No in general about 80% of what players, coaches, agents and owners say is BS.

Goodell = 100% BS

D
Rookie
Rookie
D
I will feel a lot better if the front office were able to trade that overall #2 pick and gather a few more draft picks this year and next. Sort of like they did with the Falcons when they traded up to get Julio, except this time hopefully they will have some players drafted with those picks remaining on the roster 5 years later.

Last edited by Doo_Doo_Brown; 04/15/16 01:29 PM.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
j/c

Wow!

that they were in talks at all with the browns showed at least a willingness to stay. absurd saying they couldnt wait to leave.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
P
Legend
Legend
P
I just find it funny how the common definition for insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Yet those who ascribe to that very thing wish to discuss the mental health of those who don't.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

REALITY? That's kinda funny. Reality is, according to you, only what you believe. Fairytale is whatever you don't believe.

Tell me again please how that's reality. Are you the only person that is right?

daman...was that you who started the thread, attempting to divide the board into two groups?

The reality is, the Browns front office is in need of someone with extensive knowledge on the football side of the franchise.

It's one thing to seek out someone with football experience for a 5 or 6 hour crash coarse on "what do I do now?"...and having that level of football expertise (a Parcells type) in the building at 76 Lou Groza Blvd, Berea OH.

The Browns, specifically, the stats boys, continue to miss the football knowledge needed to ensure that the Browns draft does not end up MUBAR.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Doo_Doo_Brown
I will feel a lot better if the front office were able to trade that overall #2 pick and gather a few more draft picks this year and next. Sort of like they did with the Falcons when they traded up to get Julio, except this time hopefully they will have some players drafted with those picks remaining on the roster 5 years later.

DooDoo...this franchise is in need of a franchise QB...it is the Browns #1 need and has been since Haslam bought the team. Matter of fact, getting the right QB was one of Haslam's stated core principles when he first took over.

If that Franchise QB is available at #2, the Browns should take him. Both of the guys at the top of the QB board are 10 times the QB Manziel was, IMO.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't disagree that we need a franchise QB. I don't believe that anyone does. The big question is will there be someone they see as a franchise QB at #2?

I admit that I'm not happy with the resume's of the guys in charge of the FO. I admit that I doubt their ability to draft well. The jury is out since they've never conducted a draft and opinions will vary.

But I don't believe that this FO has two QB's rated the same. That an either and or selection would be a prudent one. To draft a QB that high in the draft, you must be 100% sold on the guy.

Now do I hope that guy is there? Yes I do. However, if they see the guy left at #2 as some sort of consolation prize, I would hope they pass on him.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

... However, if they see the guy left at #2 as some sort of consolation prize, I would hope they pass on him.

I agree they must be 100 % sold he is the guy or just move on be it Ramsey trade down or whatever.

Lets not take a QB just for the sake of talking a QB

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Quote:
Now do I hope that guy is there? Yes I do. However, if they see the guy left at #2 as some sort of consolation prize, I would hope they pass on him.

Pitt...how many times did I hear people say, there is no QB worthy of the top pick in this draft?

Guess what, the Rams believe there is and they just spent a ton on a chance to draft their QB...so much for the opinions of many who said no QB was worthy...and there are a whole lot of folks who agree with the trade the Rams made.

If the QB the Rams take is the QB you believe the Browns should have taken (if available)...what becomes your plan to address the franchises needs at QB?

Last edited by mac; 04/15/16 03:22 PM.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
then you have to do what teams do when their #1 target is taken ahead of them, go to target #2

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: ddubia
JMO, but it's a little late on Depodesta's part to be asking for advise and input from the "football side"...after the most critical part of free agency is over...and now any plans the Browns may have had about getting their choice of QBs in the draft is now gone..not much Parcells can help them with.

jmho

What everyone should have realized, especially those who questioned the validity of anaylitics and football, is that this was going to take time. It was never going to be ready in time for this years draft. Everyone should know that.

DePodesta has the title of Chief Strategy Officer. To start at the beginning is to start at the top. At the top, the owner is a business man but based on a very different type of business. The strategies and policies and processes were probably based on what the owner knew worked best for him in his other business. "We always do it like this, it's how I want it."

But this is football. It's not a gas station. There's so much more to it than marketing to bring in customers. More than managing executives who are regional representatives and sales people. So much more to it than wheeling and dealing for the price of gas. Much more to it than making sure the employees at the convenience store function like a well oiled machine.

Very likely Depo's first focus was to question all the policies the Browns have been operating under organization-wide. How they do business. How everyone works together. How the decision making process is set up. Even who does what.

He would need to develop new strategies and policies regarding how they do business in the world of a sports franshise. He'd need to get the whole organization working together on a single goal--winning. Winning is the business of football.

Starting at the top he would develop processes to bring together all the executive positions/departments and get them aligned so they can work together seamlessly.

He could then move to the football side doing the same. There you find Sashi, Berry, the scouts and the head coach. Depo's job would be to develop strategies, policy and procedures that would get them aligned so they can work together seamlessly. He would set parameters, lanes of responsibility with processes in place that would keep people in their lane.

Once the organization as a whole is straightened out his final challenge would be to begin applying analytics to football. We all know how impossibly hard that must be. The only thing he has to go on, his experience, is from the baseball world. He needs to rightfully discern the difference in dealing with football and then develop strategies for implementing it.

When you consider all he had on his plate it shouldn't be surprising that he couldn't get it all done and foolproof in such a short amount of time.

Right now it is where it is. Just like the football team, it could take 2-3 years to fully incorporate analytics into the football side.

So to say he doesn't know what he's doing evidenced by his asking a football guru for help is to state the obvious. Two or three years from now he'll not need to pick the brain of a guru. He'll have already done that.

What this should show is how far Depo is into this. I assume he has the business part/strategies of the organization in place. That part is not a lot different than baseball and he came in with that experience.

Now he needs to apply himself to football players. Obviously he's in the beginning stages of that. It's going to be time consuming. Not an overnight thing.

YEESSSS! THIS! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ thumbsup

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
P
Legend
Legend
P
If the QB the Rams take is the QB you believe the Browns should have taken (if available)...what becomes your plan to address the franchises needs at QB?

You can't answer a question there is no answer to. If you don't see a projected franchise QB at #2, you certainly don't draft a QB for the sake of drafting one and make a huge mistake.

Now I'm not saying we don't draft a QB at #2. I'm saying this FO better be sold on the QB they draft if they take one at #2. Their careers and future with the Browns will depend on it. Their future resume' in the league will depend on it.

The #2 pick in the NFL isn't a place for high risk gambles and experiments. It's a place where you address a problem with a solution. If the "leftover" was their guy all along, then by all means draft him. If he's rated lower than their top guy, it's an option you weigh. But you don't simply take a huge leap of faith without a great deal of confidence with your choice at the #2 pick in the draft.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

You can't answer a question there is no answer to. If you don't see a projected franchise QB at #2, you certainly don't draft a QB for the sake of drafting one and make a huge mistake.

Now I'm not saying we don't draft a QB at #2. I'm saying this FO better be sold on the QB they draft if they take one at #2. Their careers and future with the Browns will depend on it. Their future resume' in the league will depend on it.

The #2 pick in the NFL isn't a place for high risk gambles and experiments. It's a place where you address a problem with a solution. If the "leftover" was their guy all along, then by all means draft him. If he's rated lower than their top guy, it's an option you weigh. But you don't simply take a huge leap of faith without a great deal of confidence with your choice at the #2 pick in the draft.

This

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Quote:

Pitt...problem is, the Rams have Browns in a very bad position...we don't know who they are taking and any deal the Browns attempt to make might end up with the Browns shooting themselves in the foot.

The Browns must wait until draft day to see who the Rams take...and then and only then can the Browns be sure of the direction they need to take.

The Browns have no choice but to wait for the Rams pick.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
...and meanwhile, go over every possible scenario making a plan of action for each of them. This is what teams do every year, every team.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Pitt...problem is, the Rams have Browns in a very bad position...we don't know who they are taking and any deal the Browns attempt to make might end up with the Browns shooting themselves in the foot.

The Browns must wait until draft day to see who the Rams take...and then and only then can the Browns be sure of the direction they need to take.

This isn't rocket science.

Line up your trade partners now.

You need to know 2 things from them.

Their best offer on the #2 pick if the Rams pick Wentz.
Their best offer on the #2 pick if the Rams pick Goff.

The Rams did us a favor by not waiting till draft day to make that trade.

We know that the Rams are picking a QB because they gave up the farm for the choice.

We just have to figure out whether we want to pick at that spot or take a trade offer.

It doesn't take a big brain to figure out that we are not over a barrel.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg
Quote:

This isn't rocket science.

Line up your trade partners now.

You need to know 2 things from them.

Their best offer on the #2 pick if the Rams pick Wentz.
Their best offer on the #2 pick if the Rams pick Goff.

The Rams did us a favor by not waiting till draft day to make that trade.

We know that the Rams are picking a QB because they gave up the farm for the choice.

We just have to figure out whether we want to pick at that spot or take a trade offer.

It doesn't take a big brain to figure out that we are not over a barrel.

The other thing to consider here is that we don't know that

a) the Browns see either Goff or Wentz worth the pick in the first place. If this is the case, the Rams jumping us doesn't really impact us i.e. if we're targeting someone like Bosa anyway

b) if the Browns favor one QB over the other, do they feel there is a big drop off? Just because we may like one, it doesn't automatically mean we dislike the other. It's possible the FO feels like both would be worth the pick, and they just happen to like one a little more than the other.

You may not go home with the prom queen, but her cute, younger sister isn't actually a bad deal either... just sayin nanner

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
You may not go home with the prom queen, but her cute, younger sister isn't actually a bad deal either... just sayi

It is, if she is under-aged.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
I just find it funny how the common definition for insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Yet those who ascribe to that very thing wish to discuss the mental health of those who don't.

The actual definition of insanity, according to Dictionary.com Link

noun, plural insanities.
the condition of being insane; a derangement of the mind.
Synonyms: dementia, lunacy, madness, craziness, mania, aberration.
Law. such unsoundness of mind as frees one from legal responsibility, as for committing a crime, or as signals one's lack of legal capacity, as for entering into a contractual agreement.
Psychiatry. (formerly) psychosis.

extreme foolishness; folly; senselessness; foolhardiness:
Trying to drive through that traffic would be pure insanity.
a foolish or senseless action, policy, statement, etc.:
We've heard decades of insanities in our political discourse.

Just wanted to be a pain. naughtydevil

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Quote:
You may not go home with the prom queen, but her cute, younger sister isn't actually a bad deal either... just sayin

I heard that the Cowboys worked out Goff recently, which kind of supports the idea of the sister being just as cute as older sis.

The Cowboys pick 4th in the draft and if they did workout Goff, it should tell the Browns front office that there may not be as much difference between these two QBs as some think.

The Browns front office has to consider what next years draft looks like as far as franchise type QBs. The Browns might not even be in a position to pick this high in the draft for a long time to come. The 2016 draft might be this front offices best chance to land a the best or second best QB in this draft.

This front office does need to weigh the options and take advantage of the position they find themselves in now.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Cowboys pick 4th in the draft and if they did workout Goff, it should tell the Browns front office that there may not be as much difference between these two QBs as some think.
Or it could just be the Cowboys doing their due diligence.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

This front office does need to weigh the options and take advantage of the position they find themselves in now.[/color]

And I fully expect that is what they are doing or have already done, mac... thumbsup

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:
You may not go home with the prom queen, but her cute, younger sister isn't actually a bad deal either... just sayin

I heard that the Cowboys worked out Goff recently, which kind of supports the idea of the sister being just as cute as older sis.

The Browns front office has to consider what next years draft looks like as far as franchise type QBs. The Browns might not even be in a position to pick this high in the draft for a long time to come. The 2016 draft might be this front offices best chance to land a the best or second best QB in this draft.

This front office does need to weigh the options and take advantage of the position they find themselves in now.

But if we aren't drafting this high for years to come that would mean things have gotten better (if marginally), which in turn would mean the FO was doing something right, wouldn't it? poke lol

Joking aside, you are right, they definitely need to consider who may be available in 2017. I think the RGIII signing at least in theory gives us some flexibility to do that. If we take a QB at #2 this year, it'll be because we genuinely think he's the right fit for us at QB vs. taking a guy higher than we are comfortable with because we are desperate to fill the bare cupboard with somebody.

-Jack Burton

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
This is for Vers. You keep saying that Sashi is in charge of the draft room and here is additional proof of that statement. Enjoy eek Link

Cleveland Browns: The Browns talk about working together, taking input from coaches, front office and scouts. But the ultimate decision will fall on vice president of football operations Sashi Brown, who is responsible for the 53-man roster and the draft picks. This will be the first time Brown has that authority in his career. -- Pat McManamon

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum cont...The Browns Front Office...not ready for prime time...

Link Copied to Clipboard